Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
simplydaman87
10-28-2006, 08:04 AM

is that they do a great job of making what maynard's saying ironically clash with the feel of the music to reinforce the point of the song. the intro and that first verse-chorus part actually feel good to listen to, at least to me, they're kind of hypnotic and pleasant musically. but what maynard's saying is almost sadistic and he's talking from the perspective of us, not him. he's saying it feels good for us watch people die through the music. then he gets angry and accusatory with the music in the middle. then the brilliant part is that tool plays the good feeling part again and slowly turns it angry and accusatory towards the people vicarious addresses. if you don't like this song it probably doesn't work for you, but it definitely enhances the song for me. and the best part is, it gave tool an excuse to make music that was just sweet to be sweet rather than artistic, so the parts made to feel good are ridiculously good music.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
one of the reasons vicarious is so good...

is that they do a great job of making what maynard's saying ironically clash with the feel of the music to reinforce the point of the song. the intro and that first verse-chorus part actually feel good to listen to, at least to me, they're kind of hypnotic and pleasant musically. but what maynard's saying is almost sadistic and he's talking from the perspective of us, not him. he's saying it feels good for us watch people die through the music. then he gets angry and accusatory with the music in the middle. then the brilliant part is that tool plays the good feeling part again and slowly turns it angry and accusatory towards the people vicarious addresses. if you don't like this song it probably doesn't work for you, but it definitely enhances the song for me. and the best part is, it gave tool an excuse to make music that was just sweet to be sweet rather than artistic, so the parts made to feel good are ridiculously good music.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
fretforyourfigure462's Avatar fretforyourfigure462
10-29-2006, 12:01 PM

Yeah I think it's cool how Maynard plays a character in this song. I think Maynard as a person is a really sensitive, and compassionate individual and he is probably just sharing his feelings on how cruel and mean our world has become. I can definitley agree with him too.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11
Re: one of the reasons vicarious is so good...

Yeah I think it's cool how Maynard plays a character in this song. I think Maynard as a person is a really sensitive, and compassionate individual and he is probably just sharing his feelings on how cruel and mean our world has become. I can definitley agree with him too.
10-29-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretforyourfigure462 View Post
yeah he seems to play a character in a lot of songs
even though the outisder is an APC song he's definitely singing from the point of view of a persona rather than his own point of view..
Old 10-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
yeah he seems to play a character in a lot of songs
even though the outisder is an APC song he's definitely singing from the point of view of a persona rather than his own point of view..
lagimatt's Avatar lagimatt
10-30-2006, 05:19 AM

I remember an interview with MJK where he said that some of the inspirations and introspective views come from what he sees and dislikes most in other people. everything just gets turned around and he takes the other point of view. just like the title and theme of the song - Vicarious -
Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17

I remember an interview with MJK where he said that some of the inspirations and introspective views come from what he sees and dislikes most in other people. everything just gets turned around and he takes the other point of view. just like the title and theme of the song - Vicarious -
10-31-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:

If you watched the APC "Mer de Noms" webcast on the APC website theres a section in there where Maynard is talking about the two hemispheres of your brain, and how if politics tapped into the right side, the intuitive side of their brain, we'd become more compassionate beings, and a lot of our issues would be solved. I think that statement pretty much stems up what this album is all about.

Get the FACTS about FACTS!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

Quote:

If you watched the APC "Mer de Noms" webcast on the APC website theres a section in there where Maynard is talking about the two hemispheres of your brain, and how if politics tapped into the right side, the intuitive side of their brain, we'd become more compassionate beings, and a lot of our issues would be solved. I think that statement pretty much stems up what this album is all about.

Get the FACTS about FACTS!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply