Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Artwork
User Name
Password
djtea
05-16-2006, 05:44 PM

Alright people stop fuckin' around, lets figure out this puzzle! Just to rehash people's thoughts on this and add my own: Start from title end. Notice black n' white faces, we end with colour faces. Close up of part of each band members pick before their pick. Number of stars on back of pages goes from 1 - 6. Notice the eye image after the track list, a star is above, has to be a hint to look at the pictures upside down. Stand out points of each photo are in the same spot: Danny's magick flame, Justin's eagle, Maynard's mirror image and Adam's ghost. And why is the eagle out of focus? No more bullshit about Aleister Crowley tarot cards, 666 on the cover, tiny imaginary numbers, cutting the booklet up etc... keep it together people please.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
PUZZLE!!!

Alright people stop fuckin' around, lets figure out this puzzle! Just to rehash people's thoughts on this and add my own: Start from title end. Notice black n' white faces, we end with colour faces. Close up of part of each band members pick before their pick. Number of stars on back of pages goes from 1 - 6. Notice the eye image after the track list, a star is above, has to be a hint to look at the pictures upside down. Stand out points of each photo are in the same spot: Danny's magick flame, Justin's eagle, Maynard's mirror image and Adam's ghost. And why is the eagle out of focus? No more bullshit about Aleister Crowley tarot cards, 666 on the cover, tiny imaginary numbers, cutting the booklet up etc... keep it together people please.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
HallsOfMandos's Avatar HallsOfMandos
05-16-2006, 05:46 PM

How about this....THERE IS NO PUZZLE!
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams
Old 05-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15
Re: PUZZLE!!!

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams
djtea
05-16-2006, 05:58 PM

Trust me man there's a puzzle. I do admit that it seems to be a glaring contradiction that Tool would promote such wasted time staring at a picture. They should get us doing something more constructive like banding together and killing George Bush for them!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

You're thinking way too deep man

Trust me man there's a puzzle. I do admit that it seems to be a glaring contradiction that Tool would promote such wasted time staring at a picture. They should get us doing something more constructive like banding together and killing George Bush for them!
Gen 6:6
05-16-2006, 06:02 PM

NOt that there's no puzzle, but the guys are huge proponents of art. I don't think that starring at a picture would be considered any more of a waste than say...listening to their music. Anyways, I do agree that art is supposed to be moving, and therefore, shouldn't be just passively staring anyways. And yeah, you're right; there has to be some point to their individual photos.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

NOt that there's no puzzle, but the guys are huge proponents of art. I don't think that starring at a picture would be considered any more of a waste than say...listening to their music. Anyways, I do agree that art is supposed to be moving, and therefore, shouldn't be just passively staring anyways. And yeah, you're right; there has to be some point to their individual photos.
HallsOfMandos's Avatar HallsOfMandos
05-16-2006, 06:12 PM

Not that I am not interested in hearing a 'solution' to this (if one exists), but I feel this to be a giant waste of energy for all of us...why does there 'have to be' a point to it? Because that maniac Blair posted it on the official site? Don't believe everything you read.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Not that I am not interested in hearing a 'solution' to this (if one exists), but I feel this to be a giant waste of energy for all of us...why does there 'have to be' a point to it? Because that maniac Blair posted it on the official site? Don't believe everything you read.
skripture's Avatar skripture
05-16-2006, 08:03 PM

Alright, so here I am researching Solomons Temple and sacred geometry of the double square and everything when I realize that really there is an instance of the double square in every det of pictures in the album! So I measured out the sides of the double square and drew a diagonal line from the top left hand corner to the bottom left-hand corner (the intersection of the double square which equals the square root of 5 and is considered sacred geometry). I found it interesting that it lined up with two things in every photo. In maynards: his mom's arm in the left, the glass of wine in the right. Adams: The skeleton in the left, the hand statue in the right. Paul's: The birds wing in the left, the 13 candles in the right. and Danny's: The arc of the spirit thingy in the left and the top of the skull he is opening in the right. It isn't a solution, but probably one step closer, or so I think.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

Alright, so here I am researching Solomons Temple and sacred geometry of the double square and everything when I realize that really there is an instance of the double square in every det of pictures in the album! So I measured out the sides of the double square and drew a diagonal line from the top left hand corner to the bottom left-hand corner (the intersection of the double square which equals the square root of 5 and is considered sacred geometry). I found it interesting that it lined up with two things in every photo. In maynards: his mom's arm in the left, the glass of wine in the right. Adams: The skeleton in the left, the hand statue in the right. Paul's: The birds wing in the left, the 13 candles in the right. and Danny's: The arc of the spirit thingy in the left and the top of the skull he is opening in the right. It isn't a solution, but probably one step closer, or so I think.
05-16-2006, 11:03 PM

"B.of.T." 275, bottom left diagram.

"Liber AL III: 73"
Old 05-16-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

bruised_kiwi's Avatar bruised_kiwi
05-17-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus

Please explain last post...I am confused!
Old 05-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

05-17-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruised_kiwi
www.google.com

or alternatively:

wikipedia.org

We're not supposed to know EVERYTHING!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:51 AM   #9
zol

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruised_kiwi
www.google.com

or alternatively:

wikipedia.org

We're not supposed to know EVERYTHING!
05-17-2006, 07:14 AM

Justins distorted eagle image has tables of burning candles in background ( focus on the candles/not the eagle). Also eagle is sitting atop Adams stone hand (sitting left of Adams shoulder in his photo) and seems to be shot towards right of Adams picture, showing candles in Justins background imagery. (Seems to imlicate a revolving imagery between bandmembers)
Old 05-17-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Justins distorted eagle image has tables of burning candles in background ( focus on the candles/not the eagle). Also eagle is sitting atop Adams stone hand (sitting left of Adams shoulder in his photo) and seems to be shot towards right of Adams picture, showing candles in Justins background imagery. (Seems to imlicate a revolving imagery between bandmembers)
phaedrus9779
05-17-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Cool stuff. But "B. of . T."? If its what i'm thinking of, where can a diagram be found aside from heading to the store and buying one?

Look at the rest of Liber AL III also, many references such as wings and hawks and pillars. Coincidence?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:18 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

Cool stuff. But "B. of . T."? If its what i'm thinking of, where can a diagram be found aside from heading to the store and buying one?

Look at the rest of Liber AL III also, many references such as wings and hawks and pillars. Coincidence?
Bioniccommandos
05-17-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrus9779

what do you think it is?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrus9779

what do you think it is?
black_rose's Avatar black_rose
05-17-2006, 09:55 AM

Isn't study of the book of thoth illegal, it's pretty strange that tool would create a puzzle that requires you to break the law.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 8254

Isn't study of the book of thoth illegal, it's pretty strange that tool would create a puzzle that requires you to break the law.
05-17-2006, 10:07 AM

Paste the sheets from right to left and from top to bottom: then behold!

I still don't understand what I am supposed to "behold" please explain.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Paste the sheets from right to left and from top to bottom: then behold!

I still don't understand what I am supposed to "behold" please explain.
05-17-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rose_immortal

i wasn't aware that the study of anything was really illegal, at least in the united states....especially when you can buy the book of thoth on amazon.com.

anyway, has anyone cut up their book yet to paste the images right to left, top to bottom, behold, etc?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rose_immortal

i wasn't aware that the study of anything was really illegal, at least in the united states....especially when you can buy the book of thoth on amazon.com.

anyway, has anyone cut up their book yet to paste the images right to left, top to bottom, behold, etc?
AMF
05-17-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skripture
I think you've got it. You guys have to take into context when tyring to decipher these puzzles and meanings the things that the band advocate and knowingly implement themselves i.e Danny's intrigue with sacred geometry and the like. This would be consistent with the things we already know about them, therefore it fits and not just some outlandish idea or one that is totally unrrelated. The puzzle isn't going to contain the answer to life, it's more than likely going to be just a cool thing like this guy pointe dout. I am satisfied:)
Old 05-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #16
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
I think you've got it. You guys have to take into context when tyring to decipher these puzzles and meanings the things that the band advocate and knowingly implement themselves i.e Danny's intrigue with sacred geometry and the like. This would be consistent with the things we already know about them, therefore it fits and not just some outlandish idea or one that is totally unrrelated. The puzzle isn't going to contain the answer to life, it's more than likely going to be just a cool thing like this guy pointe dout. I am satisfied:)
Noumenon's Avatar Noumenon
05-17-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Paul's: The birds wing in the left, the 13 candles in the right.
*he-hem*
Old 05-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Paul's: The birds wing in the left, the 13 candles in the right.
*he-hem*
Sudafed's Avatar Sudafed
05-17-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsOfMandos
Although the puzzle idea intrigued me for a while, I'm beginning to agree with HallsofMandos.

With so many people looking for this damn thing, I think by now, some credible explanation might have started to surface but I'm still yet to see any post that shed any real light on it.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsOfMandos
Although the puzzle idea intrigued me for a while, I'm beginning to agree with HallsofMandos.

With so many people looking for this damn thing, I think by now, some credible explanation might have started to surface but I'm still yet to see any post that shed any real light on it.
05-17-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioniccommandos
what do you think it is?
I think its the book of thoth, and yourself?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioniccommandos
what do you think it is?
I think its the book of thoth, and yourself?
RiaN_the_Great's Avatar RiaN_the_Great
05-17-2006, 04:07 PM

Speaking of "there is no puzzle", did we ever get an actual April Fool's joke this year?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #20

Bincount™: 24

Speaking of "there is no puzzle", did we ever get an actual April Fool's joke this year?
Ballzee
05-17-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiaN_the_Great
I did..and the penicillan still hasnt gotten rid of it!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:55 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I did..and the penicillan still hasnt gotten rid of it!
05-17-2006, 08:02 PM

Jesus christ I said paul. How wierd. I mean I know it's justin. How strange. Someone kick me.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #22

Jesus christ I said paul. How wierd. I mean I know it's justin. How strange. Someone kick me.
05-17-2006, 09:09 PM

Oh for fuck's sakes, they aren't the Beatles. And besides, since when are you guys on a first name basis? Do you guys hang out? Do you get beers together?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #23

Oh for fuck's sakes, they aren't the Beatles. And besides, since when are you guys on a first name basis? Do you guys hang out? Do you get beers together?
jackalEleven_c90
05-17-2006, 09:38 PM

Honestly, (and this is going off of the theory that this album can be connected in ways to Lateralus), the "puzzle" of it seems to be that the album is the opposite of the Lateralus artwork.

For instance:
- Both are done by the same artist.
- In Lateralus' art you can see basically everything at once, you only get more detailed views by turning pages. This album, you need something external to see the whole picture, and you can't see them all at once, (this really makes sense if all of them together are indeed a puzzle).
- Lateralus' art is a lot like Alex Gray's other art, concentrating on spirituality, whereas 10,000 Days' art is more about the carnal, worldly portions of life, (the skulls, the objects aside from the human element, band photos).

I'm just throwing a theory out there, and if you don't buy into the connection between 10,000 Days and Lateralus, then you probabily think I'm full of shit automatically.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

Honestly, (and this is going off of the theory that this album can be connected in ways to Lateralus), the "puzzle" of it seems to be that the album is the opposite of the Lateralus artwork.

For instance:
- Both are done by the same artist.
- In Lateralus' art you can see basically everything at once, you only get more detailed views by turning pages. This album, you need something external to see the whole picture, and you can't see them all at once, (this really makes sense if all of them together are indeed a puzzle).
- Lateralus' art is a lot like Alex Gray's other art, concentrating on spirituality, whereas 10,000 Days' art is more about the carnal, worldly portions of life, (the skulls, the objects aside from the human element, band photos).

I'm just throwing a theory out there, and if you don't buy into the connection between 10,000 Days and Lateralus, then you probabily think I'm full of shit automatically.
MisterMudd's Avatar MisterMudd
05-17-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Liber CCXX and Liber XXXI are essentially the same. The latter is the handwritten original. The reason for the two documents comes from Liber Al: III, 74, which states Paste the sheets from left to right and from top to bottom: then behold!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Books_of_Thelema
Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #25
Just Some Dude (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Liber CCXX and Liber XXXI are essentially the same. The latter is the handwritten original. The reason for the two documents comes from Liber Al: III, 74, which states Paste the sheets from left to right and from top to bottom: then behold!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Books_of_Thelema
05-18-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Actually, Justin doesn't drnk alcohol, he tells me he had a bad experience with it a few years back and stopped. Whenever we hang out he's the designated driver.

And a few folks did get a nice april fools joke... I dunno, I would've been pissed off and amused at the same time, but whatever. Look it up.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Actually, Justin doesn't drnk alcohol, he tells me he had a bad experience with it a few years back and stopped. Whenever we hang out he's the designated driver.

And a few folks did get a nice april fools joke... I dunno, I would've been pissed off and amused at the same time, but whatever. Look it up.
05-18-2006, 10:33 AM

Are you talking about the listening parties? If that's the case then damn. I was hoping they'd top the Maynard <3 Jesus joke from last year. Hoping that 10,000 Days was a decoy album though, that's TOO much. Meh, oh well.

Oh, and I stopped hanging out with Adam because I can't be seen with someone who likes Star Trek. Not for fear of what others would think, but because that would mean that I'd be hanging out with someone...that watches STAR TREK.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #27

Are you talking about the listening parties? If that's the case then damn. I was hoping they'd top the Maynard <3 Jesus joke from last year. Hoping that 10,000 Days was a decoy album though, that's TOO much. Meh, oh well.

Oh, and I stopped hanging out with Adam because I can't be seen with someone who likes Star Trek. Not for fear of what others would think, but because that would mean that I'd be hanging out with someone...that watches STAR TREK.
IC's Avatar IC
05-18-2006, 10:39 AM

ok, with all the birds, pillars, ghoasts, and so forth, maybe this has to do with the whole 'Wings For Marie'/ '10000days theme?' isnt that what you guys are saying?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #28
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

ok, with all the birds, pillars, ghoasts, and so forth, maybe this has to do with the whole 'Wings For Marie'/ '10000days theme?' isnt that what you guys are saying?
05-27-2006, 06:16 PM

there was an april fools joke. look on the news page here, scroll down to april 2nd.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

there was an april fools joke. look on the news page here, scroll down to april 2nd.
BoomShakaLaka's Avatar BoomShakaLaka
05-28-2006, 12:07 PM

i can't believe people are saying there is now puzzle when Blair totally posted "it's part of a Puzzle, and that's all i can say" on TB during the week the CD came out....
unless he posted it on April 1st, but i thought he posted somthing about the Vicarious video on april 1st. so far it won't let me scroll down to april

Last edited by BoomShakaLaka; 05-28-2006 at 12:13 PM..
Old 05-28-2006, 12:07 PM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i can't believe people are saying there is now puzzle when Blair totally posted "it's part of a Puzzle, and that's all i can say" on TB during the week the CD came out....
unless he posted it on April 1st, but i thought he posted somthing about the Vicarious video on april 1st. so far it won't let me scroll down to april

Last edited by BoomShakaLaka; 05-28-2006 at 12:13 PM..
mikeanthony's Avatar mikeanthony
05-28-2006, 12:44 PM

I think this could turn out to be another "publis enigma"
Old 05-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 85

I think this could turn out to be another "publis enigma"
StereoScopicLenses's Avatar StereoScopicLenses
05-28-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
lol. but i did have beers with ringo the other day and he said paul and eric are putting on a show in aurora.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #32

Quote:
lol. but i did have beers with ringo the other day and he said paul and eric are putting on a show in aurora.
05-28-2006, 01:02 PM

what does the 275 stand for in b of t 275?

the one i found on the net only has 260 pages..

edit: oh ok, appendix be seems to be missing.. it is the page nr then?
Old 05-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

what does the 275 stand for in b of t 275?

the one i found on the net only has 260 pages..

edit: oh ok, appendix be seems to be missing.. it is the page nr then?
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
05-28-2006, 01:30 PM

i HAVEN'T READ CROWELY, BUT I AM GOING TO THE LIBRARY TOMORROW!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

i HAVEN'T READ CROWELY, BUT I AM GOING TO THE LIBRARY TOMORROW!!!
05-29-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
Oh. My bad. I was always a John type of guy myself. Everyone seems to forget George though.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
Oh. My bad. I was always a John type of guy myself. Everyone seems to forget George though.
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
05-29-2006, 12:55 PM

a guy in another thread pointed out that justin is standing in the center of a pentagram defined by candles.
cool shit...but there is no spoon/
Old 05-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #36
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

a guy in another thread pointed out that justin is standing in the center of a pentagram defined by candles.
cool shit...but there is no spoon/
shutkski
05-30-2006, 01:51 PM

howdy...for me, this puzzle can have many solutions... i figured a way, that is just about viewing the images and interpret them by their order...and they kinda make sense...the first one, is the third eye..tells you to open your mind and get ready for what's coming... then, it comes the stroke.... the head in the plate...the knife, the cross...all symbols of bad things to happen...danny brings out a probable awakening and the corresponding treatment for this stroke... the yellow/blue wtv drawing is about confusion, incapacity of healing, despere...many things together...maybe even a simulation/attempt to represent judith's thoughts after the stroke...then the crow...he's not perfectly visible so he's just a threat of death, not death itself...justin is the one that brings death himself....of course it's a metaphore...they're no assassins i guess...the skull with the baby inside is maynard, experiencing feelings/irrationality...or maybe a way to be a child....children can't think, they only understand emotively...probably that's what he felt...and then the maynard's toast to god, for taking marie, for sparing her(him) more suffering...the picture behind is her ascension(?)...the "snake fire spiral" is a sign of creative explosion...a moment of geniality when he made something...probably a song...from these pics on it kind of loses sense...except foi adam...he might as well be the destinatary of maynard's toast (god metaphore) or just the guardian...

i know my theory is a bit incomplete...but at a first glance, that's what i can think of...

P.S.: sorry for my poor english.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

howdy...for me, this puzzle can have many solutions... i figured a way, that is just about viewing the images and interpret them by their order...and they kinda make sense...the first one, is the third eye..tells you to open your mind and get ready for what's coming... then, it comes the stroke.... the head in the plate...the knife, the cross...all symbols of bad things to happen...danny brings out a probable awakening and the corresponding treatment for this stroke... the yellow/blue wtv drawing is about confusion, incapacity of healing, despere...many things together...maybe even a simulation/attempt to represent judith's thoughts after the stroke...then the crow...he's not perfectly visible so he's just a threat of death, not death itself...justin is the one that brings death himself....of course it's a metaphore...they're no assassins i guess...the skull with the baby inside is maynard, experiencing feelings/irrationality...or maybe a way to be a child....children can't think, they only understand emotively...probably that's what he felt...and then the maynard's toast to god, for taking marie, for sparing her(him) more suffering...the picture behind is her ascension(?)...the "snake fire spiral" is a sign of creative explosion...a moment of geniality when he made something...probably a song...from these pics on it kind of loses sense...except foi adam...he might as well be the destinatary of maynard's toast (god metaphore) or just the guardian...

i know my theory is a bit incomplete...but at a first glance, that's what i can think of...

P.S.: sorry for my poor english.
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
05-30-2006, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=shutkski]howdy...for me, this puzzle can have many solutions... i figured a way, that is just about viewing the images and interpret them by their order...and they kinda make sense...the first one, is the third eye..tells .........ETC, ETC, ETC

VERY NICE, I LIKE THAT. IT SEEMS TO MAKE SENSE.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

[QUOTE=shutkski]howdy...for me, this puzzle can have many solutions... i figured a way, that is just about viewing the images and interpret them by their order...and they kinda make sense...the first one, is the third eye..tells .........ETC, ETC, ETC

VERY NICE, I LIKE THAT. IT SEEMS TO MAKE SENSE.
05-30-2006, 07:49 PM

Hey, is it just me, or going along with the rest of the artwork/album, everything was done in pairs. Was this album part of a pair?, only one piece of the two? Was it kind of like System of a Down's Hypnotize/Mezmerize?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #39

Bincount™: 3

Hey, is it just me, or going along with the rest of the artwork/album, everything was done in pairs. Was this album part of a pair?, only one piece of the two? Was it kind of like System of a Down's Hypnotize/Mezmerize?
05-30-2006, 07:50 PM

no it is not just you (unfortunately)
Old 05-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

no it is not just you (unfortunately)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply