opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 08. Ticks and Leeches
User Name
Password
Old 11-21-2002, 12:46 PM   #1
$2 + a potato = $2

Bincount™: 7267
Something Hidden???

Ok, I've listened to this song plenty of times and you can distinctly hear a mumbling or something, it kind of sounds like it is in reverse. The part in the song is around 7:10 - 7:32 and if you listen, not even closely actually, but just listen, you can hear Maynard ( i think its him doing this ) mumbling(?), speaking (?), or just making noises (?). Also like I've said, it sounds like that if you were to play this part backwards, the vocal sounds I'm reffering to would make sense, instead of the mumbling my ears hear. Maybe its something spoken fastly but not even in reverse, but I sure as hell cant make it out. Post your thoughts, and if you play it backwards, does something manifest?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 12:58 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6
There are actually two parts like this in the song, and every time I say something about it, people have no idea what I'm talking about, which amazes me since they're not really that well hidden.

The first instance is during the long interlude, where maynard is sporadically saying "Suck me dry" very softly. Keep listening then all the sudden you'll hear a scream like from the beginning of the song, followed by maynard saying something which sounds like it's reversed. He screams several times during this so if you miss the first part keep listening and you'll hear it sooner or later. It's throughout that whole soft segment in the middle; kinda reminds you of the long interlude in No Quarter with the hidden message too...

The last part I haven't really thought about too much, but saying it's in reverse makes me think that it's just a louder and faster version of what he says during that first part...
Old 11-30-2002, 10:52 AM   #3

Bincount™: 0
Okay, now (-)Ions, No Quarter, and Ticks & Leeches all have something hidden in them? You don't think they can be linked do you?
short wave dictator launches the blitzkrieg upon your frontal lobe the unexpected siege of the fortress thought impenetrable "world peace" just a few elusive frequencies away for there is no enslavement more absolute than unconscious enslavement.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:07 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally posted by hateandvaseline
Okay, now (-)Ions, No Quarter, and Ticks & Leeches all have something hidden in them?

dont forget stinkfist, sober and third eye

Quote:
You don't think they can be linked do you?

indeed, lets over analyze \o/

j/k :)
Old 12-01-2002, 02:37 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Something Hidden???

and around the 4 minute mark....
Old 12-01-2002, 02:37 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Re: Something Hidden???

although i think he just repeats the lyrics over and over...
Old 12-01-2002, 04:29 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

I think I know what part you guy's are talking about. It sound's like they used some sort of compressoin on maynard screaming "suck me dry" and singing other part's of the song with a very low volume.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:30 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

so maynard is basically singing suck me dry and there is one part where he whispers "you hurt me"... the rest of it .. i honestly think was made to sound like a kind of quiet insanity... it reminds me of the tazmanian devil ( good ol looney tunes)... some people wax incoherent when they tweek out ... that could be what's going on.. though i would like to see if the stuff actually says anything if you filter it
Old 12-04-2002, 08:20 PM   #9
ATG
Level 4 - Thinker

to me it sounds like it's maynard screaming in reverse.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:25 PM   #10

Bincount™: 6
oh yeah, and for those making the list a few posts earlier, parabol, don't forget parabol.

Where is it? After the first time he sings "Wide eyed and hopeful" during that weird vocal effect. Turn it up...
Old 12-09-2002, 06:31 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

This is weird... but this friend I have is an engineer. He found an encoded message on this track, which is reportedly instructions for cooking preparations played backwards. What sort of cooking? Oddly enough, cannibalism.

Apparently, this ties into the Ticks and Leeches "suck me dry" line heard over and over. It's also somehow supposed to relate to the album art.

It's not my opinion, but I felt like pushing it out there.

Ian - Just drive away from the YMCA.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:41 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

i swear i thought i heard him say "i hate that son of a bitch "it just sounds like him cussing over and over
Old 01-21-2003, 12:32 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by moonburn
so maynard is basically singing suck me dry and there is one part where he whispers "you hurt me"...
I think it sounds more like "You're killing me".
Old 01-21-2003, 10:42 AM   #14
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
The first instance of the suppressed screams from Maynard during the Interlude can be heard about 3:39 into the song. I think I can clearly understand it to be Suck Me Dry. It uses volume controls to make it barely audible, yet it's still obviously there. Then I agree with you guys that he's saying You're Killing Me, You Hurt Me. I believe it's either You're Killing Me, You Hurt Me in order, or both times being You Hurt Me. Because I could barely hear the first words, I clearly heard him whisper You Hurt Me.

Something is screamed at 3:54. Does anyone know what he says? It's one of the louder screams. Could be They Ate Me. If it does revolve around a Cannibalism Recipe, I can definately see that, and I'll tell you why in a bit.

At 4:03 he screams something again, and from there continues into what appears to be a sentence structure finally. Pausing briefly at 4:15. Any ideas on what he says here?

At 4:17 he starts up again on something different maybe. Any guesses here? This makes another brief stop and the way he goes on sounds a little different at about 4:32. Here Maynard goes again at 4:36. Anything here? Another brief stop at 4:40 and at 4:42 it sounds the weirdest. It sounds like he's speaking in tongues now, or speaking very fast, or maybe even backwards, or a growling. This right here could be where parts of that Cannibalism recipe can be found if that's really true.

This longest rant stops at 5:00 through the Interlude. At about 5:10 into the song this is where we hear the whisperings of Suck......Me......Dry.... Repeated over and over until the climax of the Interlude.

Then after the interlude after the climax of the song, here it goes again at 7:07 probably about till 7:30. I don't really know when it ends. The other sounds overpower it pretty well. This again could be those cannibalistic recipes. He's not speaking in the weird fast way, but it's still a low snarl. Pretty fast, sounds like either it's in tongue, or in reverse. I don't suppose anyone know's what he's saying here?

This could all be in another language too, not just tongues. But Tongues is a possibility, seeing as how Faaip De Oiad is from the occult.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #15
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
Quote:
Originally posted by -Phantom Pain-

dont forget stinkfist, sober and third eye
[/B]
So, Stinkfist, and Sober have background noises too? I had known about Third Eye, No Quarter is on Salival and I didn't get a limited addition DVD/CD, so I won't burn it until I can fork out the cash to get one off of ebay. But, where in Stinkfist and Sober do these hidden parts come up? I mean, I've listened to these songs probably a dozen or so times, and maybe I've noticed, and just shoved it aside. But, about what time do these parts come up, if there's more than one. As with Hooker With A Penis, there are two parts also. One is explained in the FAQ. Also (-) Ions, I tried my hardest but never heard him talking but I believe it's there. Cesaro Summability has background words too.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:33 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by gtheorem111
This is weird... but this friend I have is an engineer. He found an encoded message on this track, which is reportedly instructions for cooking preparations played backwards. What sort of cooking? Oddly enough, cannibalism.

Well. why don't you post that recepie, then?
Old 02-12-2003, 06:34 PM   #17
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129
i have no idea what hes saying when he starts babbling like someone put it "the tazmanian devil" but i'm pretty sure he says "you're killing me" in the other part
Old 03-02-2003, 09:38 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

A lot of the screaming during the breakdown sounds like "shut up" repeated over and over. The "you hurt me" suggestion sounds more like "killing me."
Old 03-19-2003, 03:10 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Fucking little ticks.....

I just hear maynard saying a bunch of different things, mainly "suck". But you know what this reminds me of? It reminds me of a little tick or parasite screaming!! Just imagin a little bug screaming like that.... Thats what i think the effect is supposed to be. So when u listen to that part.. Just imagin a bunch of little bugs and ticks running around sceaming!!!
CJK
Old 03-25-2003, 06:50 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

mumbling......

if, as you go to sleep, you try to keep your mind alert, there comes a stage where you here lots of voices, right before your astral body breaks away from your physical. That is what I believe Maynard is trying to emulate, or at least it is the same thing. See my post for more info. These voices belong to our myriad of different desires, personified by the ego. Everyone should try and see for themselves....
Old 03-26-2003, 08:48 PM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet
oh yeah, and for those making the list a few posts earlier, parabol, don't forget parabol.

Where is it? After the first time he sings "Wide eyed and hopeful" during that weird vocal effect. Turn it up...
Totally, dude.. that's throat singing.. it's not even like.. normal singing.. aghhhh, you can dload throat singers.. they're the shit *orgasm*
Old 03-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123
Re: Re: Re: Something Hidden???

Quote:
Originally posted by pink gentile
although i think he just repeats the lyrics over and over...
Correct. End of discussion.
"a mass of gallon sloth, as flys have walls for feet, a rapturous-verbatim-someone said but who's to know, and when you find the fringe, the one last hit that spent you, you'll find the ossuary is spilling by the day"
Old 04-01-2003, 04:28 PM   #23
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 58
it is "youre killin me......you hurt me" ive listened to it and that sounds correct, and i'd like those who posted "i know its this" stuff to back it up. Like what is the cannibal recepie? and do you know for sure that its the lyrics over and over?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:23 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

I have a friend who has a PhD in electrical engineering and he says that the message can be reversed and decrypted through a computer and will produce the sine wave function of the blah blah blah blah

Why don't you guys that have all these outrageous claims actually BACK SOMETHING UP for a change?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:36 AM   #25
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 58
if all it says is "blah blah blah" how come the screaming sounds significantly different?
Old 04-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

he could be screaming "blah blah blah" backwards :)

and as for parabol- throat singing kicks ass.. i'm actually learning how to do it- it's not all that hard
Old 05-12-2003, 12:30 AM   #27
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801
overanalyse and seperate it all.....words, thoughts , ideas what will you get a crumbling verse of nothing...hidden meanings.....holy crap...enough already...all of tool songs have hidden meanings...
Old 05-13-2003, 05:34 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
yeah, really, almost every tool song does have hidden things in it...seriously...listen closely in everysong, you'll hear little hints.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:07 PM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

I read in the faq on either this page or toolband.com that the background noise in sober is M quieting someone during a take in the studio, and they stuck it in there.

read the faq's
Old 05-20-2003, 03:38 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

The thin line

There is a very thin line between hidden messages and lyrics that aren't shouted out.

Just because Sober, Third Eye and Ticks.. has some whispering, does it not mean that they are linked together in some kind of hyperspace 7th dimension.

But, yes, I've heard the wispering and mumbling myself, but haven't figured out what it is..

*over analyzing*
Old 06-02-2003, 12:23 AM   #31
Banned.

Did you ever stop to think that they were just fucking around with us. Thats the whole game...they do this shit to get this exact reaction out of us as fans. Am i saying there's no hidden message, no. Just , (pardon the bad analogy) dont be third-eye-blind. Look at all sides those presented and those not presented to you

Just read the quote on the Opinion homepage.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:42 PM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

aha!

ah...i see what ur talkin about around the 7:10 mark..but i have no clue what hes sayin there...it might be enochian, or something in reverse perhaps..or ever enochian in reverse..lol..but if u listen to this track on the cd, right when he goes U CHOKE! and it goes to silence...u can hear " goddamn u fuckin bastard" but u have to REALLY REALLY listen...and turn it up loud, and use headphones..i think its danny thats sayin it..again..its at the very very end..ne one else noticed this besides me???
Old 07-09-2003, 12:45 PM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberwithapenis
Did you ever stop to think that they were just fucking around with us. Thats the whole game...they do this shit to get this exact reaction out of us as fans. Am i saying there's no hidden message, no. Just , (pardon the bad analogy) dont be third-eye-blind. Look at all sides those presented and those not presented to you

Just read the quote on the Opinion homepage.

Exactly. On "Opiate" (the song), during one of the more busy, louder parts, you can hear a telephone ringing in the background. A phone didn't audibly ring in the studio and they forgot to cut it out. They put that in there so, when you got your stereo jamming real loud, you hear the phone and turn down the music and say "Did you hear my phone ringing?" The same with this, it may mean something, it may not, but I'm sure they get a kick out of watching everyone bite.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:11 PM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

i dunno whether this counts as hidden technically...but in jimmy..u can hear maynards voice, but u cant understand what hes sayin..could that be linked?? i dunno, probably not..i guess im just thinking aloud..yeah, if ne one knows...just say the word..k..thnx

Dave
Old 07-12-2003, 10:47 AM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

if you listen close enough maynard whispers in almost everything i personally think he whispers in more songs then he doesn't
Old 07-23-2003, 11:43 PM   #36
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfleet
There are actually two parts like this in the song, and every time I say something about it, people have no idea what I'm talking about, which amazes me since they're not really that well hidden.

The first instance is during the long interlude, where maynard is sporadically saying "Suck me dry" very softly. Keep listening then all the sudden you'll hear a scream like from the beginning of the song, followed by maynard saying something which sounds like it's reversed. He screams several times during this so if you miss the first part keep listening and you'll hear it sooner or later. It's throughout that whole soft segment in the middle; kinda reminds you of the long interlude in No Quarter with the hidden message too...

The last part I haven't really thought about too much, but saying it's in reverse makes me think that it's just a louder and faster version of what he says during that first part...
well everyone can hear the soft "suck me dry"... but for the other part, to me it sounds like a whole bunch of different wispering voices

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: