opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot1
Forty Six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion

My 7th show. Here's the setlist from my memory, I'll feel like a jackass if I am wrong.

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænima
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days

Again, if I am wrong--forgive me.. I am pretty confident though.

Where to begin?

Maynard got a bottle thrown at his head during The Pot. It was a big enough hit that he kick his mic stand off his platform, then he walked off stage. The first thing I thought was, "Well there goes Wings for Marie/10,000 Days." He came back out during the rest of the song and put his ATF jacket and cowboy hat on. Then he just stood there making gestures with his hand. He continued to do this all throughout 46 & 2. The rest of the band played the songs perfectly. He did sing the last chourus on 26 & 2. He finally made an anouncement that the water bottle throwing was pretty bad and people should find a better way to express their lives.

When Lateralus was played is when all the artwork showed up. It was amazing. I little too gaudy from what I am used to them doing, but it was done tastefully. Whoever was operating the lasers was a little off during Lateralus. Seemed like they were still learning how to use them.

He did not sing the "La la la lies" line in Vicarious. Either he's tired of doing it or too much strain on his sick voice.

Before they played Ænima, Maynard said how every time they play in Phoenix they usually play Los Anegeles the night before. Every time they go to Los Angeles he says, he gets sick. I don't know if people can verify him singing differently in the past or not, but tonight I could definately tell he was sick--or something.

The impression was that Ænima was their last song for the night. It bummed me out because I was hoping to hear Wings for Marie/10,000 Days like the the lucky bastards in L.A. During Ænima he sang the "Fuck at your everything, fuck your tattoos..." line three times. It's a possibility I was hearing shit but I am fairly confident it was three. This gave me a cue that there might be more after this song.

They had a small encore, most people around me started to leave but I saw no roadies on stage. So I decided to stay, despite my eagerness to leave to beat traffic. I was disappointed about them not playing "the big one" and I would have been more irritated by the shitty traffic (if the traffic going to the concert was anything to go off of).

Sure enough, they put a stool out for Justin and I knew this was it. Maynard said they would play one more if everyone was good. Side note: during the encore with the band sitting on Maynard's platform--Justin lit his lighter (I didn't know he smoked) and the rest of the pavillion complied. I don't know if he has been doing this alot lately but the effect was nice, especially as to what was to come.

The best rock n' roll performance, nay best performance, I have ever experienced.

They played Wings for Marie/10,000 Days flawlessly. I was amazed as to how they pulled it off. I imagine Justin sitting down is essential.

Over all, again--the show was perfect. There were a few times Adam seemed off, but I love being able to hear his mess ups. As weird as that sounds, it reminds me I am listening to them live and raw--which is a setting that Tool shines best in.

For those of you who went: I hope you all made it home safely and remember to leave your over-bearing testosterone levels at home the next time you go to a show, especially a Tool show.

Last edited by Hendrix; 09-09-2006 at 11:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Fuck whoever threw that bottle at Maynard! Great show. I recorded this show so hopefully that works out. tight performance. Instramental perfofrmance of 46 & 2 for the most part. Good shit!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

That was a little nuts with the bottle episode. It seemed a bit excessive but then again, I'm not the one who got hit. He also said L.A. got him sick or maybe that he just fkn hates L.A. or something like that. And that he was gonna take some Sudafed and jerk off to Comedy Central.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:02 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

yeah so I'm pumped as hell. I took my dad to the show. I don't know if anyone saw us I was the one wearing a pink floyd shirt that said "wish you were here" on the back.

Anyway Isis started a bit early and ended a bit late, I think they played 4 songs instead of 3. Amazing! just Amazing...............ly bad. I guess if your into your singer screaming his guts out the entire time for no reason then fine. Oddly he does have a pretty good voice when he actually trys to sing instead of scream. The head banging thing is pretty damn played in my opinion, you can be into your song without thrashing...

Anyway they ended and I got up and went into the main selling area. I was talking to my dad when some guy came up and started quizing me on floyd and was 100% certain that Pink floyd was still together..... keep dreaming.

We made our way back to our seats and the place started really filling up, even during Isis almost no one was there. Tool took the stage, no words, just launched stinkfist (maynards leg lifted and everything). People were throwing crap on the stage and appearantly some idiot felt it was a good idea to peg a water bottle at maynard, great job dick, we lost the last of The Pot and 46&2. I saw the net of lights raising in the back ground and I knew they had Lateralus comin. Breath taking song. After that they had a long interlude at which point I saw maynard get behind the keyboard and I thought wings was surely to come based on the mood of the sounds. Nope, Vicarious, again, fun but I was kinda worried. Then maynard started talking about how they always play LA before phoenix and that LA gets them sick. He finished by saying "I have a solution to that!" I knew it was Aenima time. He also said good night, dead serious to us (after all i thought they made it short because they were sick). To which i started pleading as loud as I could for wings. When they started laying down on the stage I knew.... this show isn't over. He said that he would play one more and I know that had to be Wings 1 and 2. People in my section started leaving which kinda broke the mood for me but it was awesome. Then they hugged for a while and exit tool.

I have a few complaints. First off maynard was muddy as hell. Even in the last part of wings where there is hardly any music being played you could barely make it out. The guitar in my opinion was way dominate. I don't know if they dropped his volume because he way sick or where the sound guy was sleeping but I was pretty close to the middle and it shouldn't have been that bad.

I think it was 2 girls behind me. I have never heard screams like that. I have heard loud screams (I was one of them), I have heard odd screams, short screams, long screams, funny screams. But never have I encountered people screaming to see who could make my ears bleed first. They didn't do it during the songs mostly but every time the end came I got this ear piercing, there is a knife sticking out of my back, I'm about to shatter this crystal, scream. Though I could deal with it by covering my ears I'll ask you ladies to do the people in front of you a favor, when you scream just drop the pitch a little bit. Make it as loud as you want, no problem, just drop the pitch.

Danny was amazing tonight. My dad just kept on saying "my ear is hearing one thing and I'm watching another, how is this guy doing this?" Danny for me was the best part, bar none.

The set list was short no Right in Two/ Opiate.

I went to the gammage show and this show. Gammage sound quality was leagues better then this one BUT danny sounded and looked much more aggressive tonight then Gammage. I would say overall that gammage was my fav show BUT this one had it's highlights to.

Oh yeah and don't let anyone put the stage down. I was skeptical but that was erased easy. Would it be nice to have a huge screen behind them? sure, but there were screens to the sides that were pretty big and I found myself not paying attention to them all that much. The stage was quite perfect.

No mention of them coming back again.... if you do come by again Tool, catch us first. LA seems to give you problems. ;) thanks Tool

Last edited by begmetostay; 09-10-2006 at 12:25 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

few moments that stood out in the show for me. following aenima, they started to leave the stage, and danny came out and sat down, the rest of the band followed and sat at the stage looking over all the lit lighters and the standing ovation. i turnred around (sitting up front), and the amount of lighters being held up was indeed quite a site.

when he sang "now its time to let you go" it sent chills down my spine. amazing finish for the show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Absolutely beautiful, Tool puts on an amazing show. I hope whoever threw that water bottle got the shit kicked out of him because he definitely desrved it... Besides Maynard being sick the show was pure awesome.

Highlights:

Stinkfists alternative version - Always great to hear them go into that alternative transition with the crowd still chanting along with the originals lines, danny's electric drum segment still sends chills down my spine.

46&2 - although Maynard was giving due punishment to the audience for harassing him with the water bottle the song was great to hear, made everything seem so naked without maynard's soaring vocals. Intense drum fill towards the end, amazing to witness and hear live.

Schism's double time through the middle section - Made the song seem new again. Incredible musicianship from all of them during that segment, danny's fills were incredible.

Opening riff into lateralus - Lights illuminating the sky, lasers hitting every direction, and mind opening visuals with millions of blinding colors... spiral out motherfuckers...

10,000 Days, Wings for Marie - Simply breathtaking... It was the end of the night and nobody thought they'de do it. Spot on, everything, the effects, Maynard's voice, and all instrumental sections, I could't have asked for anything more. In the words of MJK before they began their epic..."This one's for Christ..."'

Long Live Tool \m/ -_-
Old 09-10-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!
GOTTA SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT!!!
HOLY SHIT!?!?!?!?!?!

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE GREATEST SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN..........
even though I know the only ones reading are you dumb shits...............
I JUST HAD TO GET THAT OFF MY CHEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

he also said something about dedicating the song to the guy who's birthday he mentioned earlier. I forget the name. Earlier he mentioned it and asked us to say something to him but some girl was trying to get past me so I missed it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

I hope that jackass who threw the bottle gets testicular cancer.

Stinkfist is such a great opening song... It fucking rocks! Rosetta Stoned was badass as well. And you gotta love Lateralus my god that song is amazing live.

In my opinion, Coachella was alot more intense, and the screens were more vivid than tonight.

Still, it was an amazing show and I wish I was still there.

Last edited by My_Shadow; 09-10-2006 at 01:17 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

This is my 2nd Tool show, my first one was in 2001. I'll start this by getting the customary 'fuck you's out of the way. Whover the prick bastard was who hit Maynard with ther bottle, go to hell, fuck off and die! Bodysurfing during Wings for Marie, grow the fuck up, already! Now that that is out of the way...

Hopefully I get the sequence of events correct. Maynard was not feeling well tonight. I'm fortunate to read the reviews here from the LA shows, because that way I knew. Tool didn't start until about 9:20. It was funny during Stinkfist when the fans were singing the final stanza when the band made the detour into another bridge. After Stinkfist, Maynard said, "today's my friend Eddie's birthday, let's give him a "hey Eddie, you're a fucking idiot!". The crowd cooperated, lol.

The Pot, well, he sang the "who are you to wave your finger", then nothing, waiting for the crowd to finish it, perhaps, but then he continued with the rest of the song. I don't recall at which point in the beginning of the song it was, but some fuckhead in the pit threw a water bottle. I saw it hit Maynard square in the melon. He turned, DISGUSTEDLY slammed the microphone down, kicked the stand away and trudged off the stage for the rest of The Pot. Adam looked behind after about a minute and had a "where the hell is Maynard?" look on his face. MJK came back out toward the end of the song, put his ATF jacket and cowboy hat back on and just hung out in his usual spot on stage and didn't sing until the last verse of 46&2. I thought that he may just say, fuck this, I feel like total shit and these retards are throwing bottles at me? It was a warm, humid night, the only reason you'd put a coat on is if your feeling chills, so I was convinced he was sick more than he was cashing it in, but it was a nice scare. The band kept playing, like the pros that they are. I was guessing the crowd may start singing the vocals in the meantime, but I think everyone was too drunk, stoned or just shocked. After 46&2, MJK said, "a water bottle thrown at my head, nice...you people need to find a better fucking way to express your feelings...is it safe for me to continue?". He did.

I remember when Tricky opened for Tool here in 2001, someone pegged him with something and he spent the rest of the set standing silently with his back to the crowd. Roger Waters had the right idea with The Wall, but that's neither here nor there.

The new fast part in the middle of Schism sounded great, it's good to hear some enhancement on that. I wish Osseus Labyrint could have been there again. Lost Keys was more like just an interlude (no doctor scene), but the opening notes of Rosetta Stoned were good to hear. Maynard FLAWLESSLY sang that difficult song. I was glad to hear that in person.

I love Lateralus, but IMO it was performed better in 2001, ending the show and I like the visuals better, then. Even so, Danny was just amazing and was wearing a Shawn Marion Suns away jersey, none of that Lakers crap. Justin was way better than I remember. Adam was his usual self, which is always a good thing. I loved the lasers, they are a great visual enhancement. Vicarious must be a tougher song to play then you'd think, they did well with it, but Maynard was having a lot of vocal problems and didn't even sing "vicariously I...live while the whole world dies...much better you than I" to end the song, Whatever was ailing him took it toll. He mentioned that he must be allergic to LA, since he always gets sick after leaving there and that he knows a solution. Of course, Ænima was next and he kept messing up all the 'fuck all these..." lines and he seemed to weak to complete the song (the crowd sang the "suck it down" lines). At some point during the break of one of those songs, he had a huge handkerchief that he looked like he blew his nose in, but I was in the back of section 202, so I may be wrong.

The band took a seat on stage, conferred with each other and Justin lit a lighter and held it up for about three minutes. We then had a pavillion of lit lighters (people were also using their cellphones as such, um, that doesn't do it!). When Maynard got up, he said, "we'll play some more if you're good" or something. A roadie brought out a stool for Justin and that meant Wings/10000days was next, which saved my evening, I would have been completely pissed if they didn't play those. The vocals at the beginning of Wings were a bit muddled, but they are on the CD, too. Still, MJK braved his way thru it and thru 10000 Days. I was hoping for just one more tune to end the show, but I bet Maynard was just too damn sick to continue. Oh well. I would have loved to have heard Jambi live, that could have ended the show marvelously but you can't have everything. The concert was somewhat bizarre, thanks to MJK's health and some scumbag with a water bottle and good aim.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

I couldn't have been happier with the show. Beautifully done. And i hope the dude that threw the bottle at Maynard burns in Hell(or at least got his ass kicked by everyone in the pit, then the bouncers, then Maynard after the show, then the cops). Wings was fucking awesome, thats is all i can say, I'm speechless.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #13
oar
Level 1 - Lurker

[anyone see the actual setlist for this show? did they skip any songs due to the waterbottle throwing douchebag? no jambi blows my mind....
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 04:55 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Hmmm...well, what can I say? It's Tool live, lol...despite many downfalls attributed to assholes in the audience (and Los Angeles as well)...this was still my first Tool show, and it was pretty special to see the 4 of them down there on stage, doing what they do, aside from the multiple disappointments...

-sigh-

ISIS opening was nice...I couldn't help but be just a little anxious for them to finish their set so that Tool could make their way to the spotlight, but, I did my best to give them the time of day...listening to them closely, they do seem like a talented group of musicians. I was suprised to see, at one point, something along the lines of 5 acoustic instruments in total? i.e. a bass player, and perhaps 3 guitars, or some configuration along those lines. They had some interesting songs, and overall, a fairly unique style...can't say that I was annoyed to have to sit through them. ISIS thanks us for our time, and thanked Tool for having them along.

And then, the moment everyone was waiting for...

Tool made their way to the stage, and the crowd went wild. With no words of greetings from Maynard, they launched head first into Stinkfist, opening the show as perfectly as I could've imagined...so pleased to have heard that extended scream from Maynard after the interlude...vocals of that intensity just light up the atmosphere like fire...so much energy...and of course, the extended portion of Stinkfist was quite the treat. The night was going well so far.

"Today's my friend Eddie's birthday...so at the count of three, I want everyone to yell...'Eddie, you're a fucking idiot!" Much to my amusement, a large portion of the crowd incompetently yelled these words immediately, before Maynard even began counting. Alas...well, Maynard counted down, and the crowd gave this guy Eddie a hard time, thanks to Maynard.

"It's not really his birthday," Maynard informes us.

Then, The Pot. A nice acapella intro from Maynard, despite the fact that, at this point in the show, and throughout the entire show itself, I couldn't really hear as much of Maynard as I would've liked to. His voice seemed pinched, in that squeaky way that sickness seems to inevitably cause, and sort of distant. Perhaps it was my seat, but, I doubt it.

All was going well in The Pot, for about a sixth of it, until some asshole decided to ruin the show for everyone...It amuses me that at the single moment that I chose to look away from the stage, I returned my eyes to the front, just in time to see Maynard kick his mic stand off of the platform, and walk off stage. Of course, based on Maynard's later commenting, and the fellow reviews, I now know that Maynard was struck with a glass bottle of sorts in the head...

At this point, I was pleading with no one in particular for Maynard to come walking hastily back on stage to continue the song, but instead, my worst fears came true, as Maynard did not return until well beyond the end...so, for my first Tool show, not only did I miss the best of The Pot, but, Maynard further reprimanded the audience (though only several people deserved such a punishment) by refusing to sing for Forty Six & 2, only chimining in at the very end for the close.

I remember thinking, due to the fact that Maynard was in his place, that the lack of vocals for Forty Six and Two was due to some kind of extended intro to the song...but I was further heart-broken when Adam and Justin pounded in that way they do when the chorus should've been upon us...-sigh- Maynard was really making a lot of us unhappy (or at least me) on account of one or two assholes.

So, Forty Six and Two ends, and Maynard sarcastically thanks the idiot who nailed him in the head with a glass bottle during The Pot for his generous donation. He said something to the effect of, "For whoever threw the bottle of... ...thanks a lot; I just had to take a break and enjoy it". Hm, it was either something along those lines, or, he made a note of how the bottle stayed intact when it hit him in the head. "It didn't even break." I was cursing, pissed as hell. Other fans equally expressed their dissaproval of one moron dampening the night for the rest of us. Then, on a more serious note, Maynard tells the unappreciative fans down in the pit, "You people really need a better means of expressing your fucking love." And isn't he right...maybe a means that doesn't involve causing the vocalist of my favorite band to walk off stage during my first ever Tool concert (and first ever rock concert at that).

Well, next came Schism. That was quite a treat...Maynard's sickness was really taking a toll on him, and despite this, I still think the vocals weren't reaching into the audience correctly...and if they were, they just weren't making it to my seats...-sigh- I wish I had gotten those 101s...but due to my inexperience with purchasing tickets via ticketmaster, mine were released, and by the time I got anything, I had to settle for section 205, row QQ. I suppose I can't complain though...despite the poor angle and distance, I could still see the band well...The Cricket Pavillion was set up pretty nicely, such that even though everyone was standing, I had a clear view of the stage.

Well, a healthy Maynard or not, Schism is just one of those classics you gotta' hear live, so, I am thankful for that...and the speedy alteration of the middle part was a nice treat as well.

Next up was Rosetta Stoned...just based off of the beforehand ambience, I knew it was either going to be Rosetta Stoned, or Sober. Well, we got Rosetta Stoned, and that was just as awesome. Even though Maynard failed to perform on certain other challenging parts of songs, he gave us the screams for this one, and that was nice to hear...it seems like the screams were the only moments that really seemed to come through loud and clear. Well, Rosetta Stoned was really good, overall.

Was it just me, or did Adam or perhaps Justin repeatedly hold some lines a little too long, cutting into some of the parts of songs that were supposed to have more rest and silence? I noticed this in both Lateralus and Rosetta Stoned as well, if I recall correctly.

Well, up next was Lateralus...they just HAD to play this one live, right? Well, everything went pretty well, though I thought I noticed some sloppy timing in there at some point from either Adam or Justin, or perhaps a collective muddle. And, I was a little disappointed that Maynard stuck to the lower octaves when singing, "Our divinityyyy" towards the end. Usually he ventures into head voice for the third syllable of "divinity", but, not this time. Oh well...

Next up was Vicarious...everything was tolerable, despite Maynard having a difficult time surviving through his parts...and the difficulty really showed when he decided to sit out for "La-la-la-la-la lie...". I had been waiting to hear him chant that one...and ever more, I desperately wanted to hear, "Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies...much better you than I.", but to no avail.

It was at this point that Maynard probably felt he owed the crowd an explanation for his lack of delivering on some of the most anticipated moments... of some of the most anxiously awaited songs...

"It seems that every time we come to Arizona, we do so by way of LA...and it seems that every time I go to LA, I get sick...so I guess, I either really hate LA, or am just really sick...but, I think I have a solution...we need to have an earthquake" It was at this point that I hoped he would leap into the beloved, "Heyghh, heyghh, heyghh, heyghh, heyghh". But, at the very least, any Tool fan with a vague knowledge of the song Aenema knew what was coming...Continuing, he says, "So after this, I'm gonna' go home, take some sudafed, and jerk off to comedy central... ...goodnight..." This is a close representation of what Maynard gave the audience before leaping into Aenema...on with the song...

A nice performance on Aenema, minus the part where Maynard decided to stumble over the words of the closing versus, saying at one point, "Fuck L. Ron Hubbard, fuck your tatoos, fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories." Of course, "tatoos" didn't belong in this section, but, over such a trivial thing, who can really get picky? Of course, at first, hearing him say it for the second time in the next verse was just an unfortunate reminder of how Maynard must've really been off this night (unless it was intentional)...and of all nights...I had to catch them with Maynard at less than his best...

Apparently, however, Maynard repeated the "junkies" lines three times intentionally, as to really drive home his distate for people who follow such a lifestyle. "Fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories."

After seeing the kind of people I saw that night, Maynard couldn't have been more right....

You know, there really is something about LA...about Southern California in general...the last 5 times I'VE gone down there, I've caughten a sickness of one sort or another...all of them deviating in severity...some lasting a few days, while others linger for weeks...fucking Los Angeles...to think that I once lived there...maybe there's just something about living in Arizona, and then venturing into a place like LA...who knows...such a grimey, germ ridden place...maybe we really should flush it all away...it'd probably be nice to "watch it all go down."

So, towards the end of Aenema, Maynard apparently didn't even have the strength to sing those aggressive, "BRING IT DOWN, SUCK IT DOWN, FLUSH IT DOWN," Instead, he opted to say the first word of these phrases, in such a manner as if giving a demand, rather than in that tone that expresses his own desire to see it all just sink. "Bring it..." *crowd*, "Suck it" (Hahahah...you had to have laughed) *crowd*, "Flush it" *crowd*...annnnnnd...end.

*continued below*

Last edited by Faltering; 09-11-2006 at 12:29 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 04:56 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

*continued from above*

Well, Maynard sounding unenthusiastic wasn't the greatest of ways to see them leave...and honestly, the way Maynard said "goodnight," there really wasn't a margin of hope...there was no being skeptical that they'd play another song...there WAS no "other song." The night was over...and I think Tool truly planned to walk off stage after Aenema was over...and three of them did just that, save for Danny Carrey who decided to take a seat towards the front of the stage, and examine the roaring crowd, who, much to my surprise was very forgiving, despite the multiple upsets of the evening.

Soon enough though, the other 3 band members joined him down at the front, watching the crowd, hugging eachother in brotherly, loving embraces, and just lying in the afterglow of their "could've been better, but once again we gave it our best" performance. Maynard shook his foot around, which was nice to see..it's a kind of motion that people make when they're trying to be lighthearted, rather than sit in a sullen type of gloom, and negativity. Him and Justin in particular were chatting it up, with the last I saw of their conversation being Adam nodding, and turning back towards the crowd. While those two talked, Justin had sparked his lighter, and held it up, waving it back and forth before him, which had a chain reaction of countless people in the audience following suit. An interesting sight, really...a multitiude of burning flames...much like a room filled with flickering candles as far as you could see...at this point, due to the apparently positive mood of the band, the notion of another song coming along wasn't so far fetched...I started to have second thoughts...hope...Maynard amused the audience with his accusations of everyone being crackheads. For what reason, I don't recall, but I think it had something to do with the color of some of the flames. "Do they check your crackpipes at the entrance?" Something along those lines.

So, all of them standing up, Maynard approaches the mic and says, "We'll play one more if you're good..." and the crowd roared...I believe he then said..."well, better...better...better..." As if, "Well, you guys were pretty good, except for a few assholes, so, we'll play one more if you're 'better'." I could be mistaken on this, but, that's as much as I personally followed.

"This one's for crack," or "This one's for Eddie," the friend of his he mentioned earlier. I believe it was the former. I could be mistaken in both cases though; it wasn't easy to hear him throughout the night.

...And it was at this point that Tool gave us their closing song of Wings for Marie, and 10,000 Days. A very pleasant way to the end the evening, I must say.

Of course, even in this song...Maynard choked at some point...starting in with, "What're they gonna' do when the lights go down..."- and then, strangely, as if he were rushed, he leaped into, "IiIIIiii, only pray that heaven knows when to lift you out, 10,000 days in the fire is long enough...you're going home..." etc. etc...perhaps he came in too late to finish the beforehand verses...overall, you could really tell that Maynard just wasn't feeling too hot.

So, we got our Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days, and Maynard tamely put the mic down, and gave the audience a final wave, which sent the crowd cheering. The remaining members, namely Justin and Danny Carrey made their way to the front of the stage, and humored us all with their cheerfulness, tossing souvenirs to the at least partly undeserving pit section...drum sticks (I counted three of these)...some sort of hovering frisbee-like things...and a bottle of water or two...hahah...right back at you idiots...Danny Carrey gave a bow at some point, even after repeatedly waving and humoring us...really indulging the crowd's admiration and thanks...nice to see the rest of the band in better spirits than Maynard was. And soon enough, the four musicians that are Tool were gone from the stage, and the all-too-familiar background music set in, and the night for the most part was over...

Minus the part where immediately afterwards, the guy sitting but two seats to my right (his girlfriend being directly to my right) apparently socked some guy in the row behind us in the face...and that was it...things escalated amazingly fast at that point...the girls accompanying the assaulted individual began yelling and questioning the attacker, who, much to my disbelief was a very small guy...I'm about 6'1, 6'2, and he had to have been a head or two below me...and he was a very thin fellow...maybe he should pick his fights better...especially when the guy you attack ends up having about 5 of his friends leap over the seats and literally jump you until you manage to stumble out of their blood thirsty wolf pack after being savagely roughed up...before the eyes of your helpless girlfriend, no less...

Well, in all honestly, I hope the guy who got socked was the guy who, throughout the entire show had the BIGGEST. MOUTH. EVER. What the hell is wrong with these people? They just don't shut up.

This guy ranted and raved throughout the entire show, practically, screaming idiotic comments, seemingly for the sake of hearing his own voice, assuming himself witty and amusing...it did nothing but infuriate those in close proximity to him...but, someone like that, drunk off his ass with no true appreciation for brilliance such as Tool...

Well, just...what can you expect right?

Anyway, that further soured my evening..."Much better you than I," I thought as I watched the gang-raped individual who had a little more fight in his dog than was good for him. stumble away in a chaotic bewilderement...

Heh, perhaps he was as pissed about the screaming asshole behind us as I was...no one wants to hear a loud-mouthed fuckhead when you're trying to listen to genius like Tool...

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed to have not gotten to hear Jambi..I was really looking forward to that...furthermore...Maynard really copped out at some of the worst possible moments...the ending half of The Pot...all of Forty Six and Two, pretty much, the end of Vicarious, and the enchanting high octaves that he usually makes such a brave effort to replicate for his dedicated fans...Sober would've been nice too, but, hey...another time perhaps...the follow-up album tour for 10,000 Days, anyone? Sounds good to me...

Anyway...overall, I can't say I didn't have a good time...Tool is Tool...crazy shit or no crazy shit, it all adds to the experience...and whether it was entirely positive, or mostly negative, I think everyone walks away from a show like Tool's with something useful of their experience...

A good way to spend a Saturday night...

And was I the only one who noticed the prissy girls with their loud, filthy little mouths, screaming their curses and obscenities while standing in line to buy a shirt for a band who they've probably never even heard, minus maybe a Pot or Vicarious on the radio?

-sigh- I myself purchased a shirt and a poster, which I clung to lovingly throughout the show, as to not have it taken by any shameless asses. Quite a price to pay for a couple of items such as these...and, brought to my attention was the "Los Angeles, CA" on the sleeve...I don't really know what to make of that...disappointing, I suppose. But, what can you do? They probably just had left overs from the Staples Center the night before...

Dear God, where are all the amazing fans that I see posting here on The Tool Page? The ones who have a true appreciation for what Tool does for us all? -sigh- Truly disappointing...a crowd full of drunken, unruly fools...inevitable, I suppose...

Well, that's that for TOOL at the Cricket Pavillion in Phoenix Arizona, September 9th, 2006, 8:00 PM.

For the most part?

'Was glad to have been there...

Last edited by Faltering; 09-10-2006 at 03:36 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 07:45 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

I will say that the gammage show was so much better. I will be brief. Nice reviews so far with basically already saying what I would. That bottle thrower done most likely by yet another drunken idiot. The crowd seemed quieter in such large numbers than the gammage gig.

Damnit to the little virus that infected Maynard's body! haha! I hope he gets better.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

well...

the good: beautiful night (phx summer finally broke). Isis was really good. 3/4 of tool were flawless all night. getting wings/10kdays as an encore was a pleasant surprise.
might have been the best performance of stinkfist i have seen.

the bad: no jambi. maynard walkoff. maynard's reduced range. maynard's general diva bullshit. maynard in general.

i don't know if i am getting too old to be a fanboy or what, but the whole water bottle incident kind of killed the show for me. it would have been fine if he had just stopped the show right there and reprimanded the crowd. give people a chance to police each other and then continue the show as it was meant to be. leaving the stage mid song and then taunting the crowd through the majority of 46+2 was childish, selfish, typical maynard. yes, there are assholes in the world, especially at a tool concert. yes, they are throwing bottles. yes, they should be sterilized so they can't reproduce. but that in no way means the rest of the crowd should miss out because of them. pull up your panties and finish the show.

maynard's already at the back of the stage, out of the lights, away from the smoke, doesn't move, doesn't sing when he feels like it. maybe he should get a popemobile and a hardhat to protect himself as well.

i think the fact of the matter is that his voice isn't as reliable as it once was. he gets frustrated about it and then uses whatever excuse he can to leave the stage whenever possible. did the same thing 2 days ago during 10k days. it will be interesting to see how many times this little scenario repeats itself over the course of the tour.

enough bitching. what was interesting to me was that the band never missed a beat during maynard's absence. it was kind of cool to hear the little flourishes and accents that you may not notice when the vocals are present.

overall, i enjoyed myself. probably the weakest tool show i have seen, but better than no tool at all, i suppose.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

I hope the guy that threw the water bottle spends an eternity in hell getting sodomized by 50 cent.

The 46n2 instrumental was cool but the reason behind it was disappointing. Ok, it would have sucked being hit in the head by a bottle: but Maynard do the math ... (1 dickhead) : (Full house - 1 hardcore fans that paid a fair amount of money to be there).

No Jambi, no Right In Two, no Opiate. Wings/10000 days was the only saving grace of the night in my opinion. Oh that and Isis who were very excellent.

"But you changed that all for me".
"You must have been out your head"

---

Ok, my previous review was a little negative. The visuals (videos and lasers) were very very good (especially Rosetta Stoned), Stinkfist was as tight as ever and hearing the crowd go off everytime Arizona Bay was mentioned during Aenema was cool too. The night wasnt a total loss, just disappointingly flat. Even Lateralus was flat and that just aint right, man.

And special thanks to guy that helped me navigate cross-country out of the parking lot after the show. I had to drive home to Tucson that night and faced the prospect of having to sleep in my car because of the gridlocked lot. Poor event organization, but I was greatful for the help getting out. Peace.

---

Last edited by jambi46n2; 09-10-2006 at 04:04 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

well...gammage was the best show i've seen untill last night... maynard was personable despite being hit in the head with the bottle. people are saying water but it was glass because he said it didn't even break...he said people need to learn different ways of expressing theire LOVE. He said LA always makes him sick and he didn't know if he's just allergic to LA or something else...said he was gonna jerk off to comedy central. Straight hated on LA for a good minute...said the only thing we can all do is pray for an earthquake right before aenima then when he said see you down in arizona bay of course the crowd here loved it really a united energy there! so he didn't sing 46 and 2 untill the final verse great song w/ or w/o him. would of liked right in two and jambi... wings for marie was intense. Danny was wearing an Omare Stoudemire (phoenix suns) uniform which was hilarious cuz at gammage he was wearing a Kobe jersey during there match up guess he's a front runner. They sold us shirts that said LA on the sleeve which is fuckin' hilarious obviously a sick joke cuz they clearly expressed dislike for the bs three ring circus side show of freaks that it is. Another great maynardism was a repeat i've read from a previous show... he asked why everyone had lighters if they take your crack pipes at the door... then he said some stuff that was hard to make out and referenced crack another time or two before the silence grew for what most people knew was gonna be 10000 days then he said "this one is for crack" and the song slowly began.

And of course on the music...gammage was like the album and i see now how it was a warm up tour... no song's sounded exactly like the record not one...schism had an insane drum solo danny's the man...rossetta stoned had new and more intense screaming guitar...there was another guitar solo added to another song lateralus i think...justin did some extra stuff here and there. Someone aluded to maynard repeating the same three lines in aenima three times....which the junkie failed to realize ends with "fuck your short memories" d o i h a v e t o s p e l l i t
o u t f o r y o u. and the most obvious addition to the show was electronic transitions played by none other than maynard on keyboard and adam on a synthesizer i believe fuckin' rad... not like the album not like previous shows everything was updated everything was full tilt. see them even if you saw the warm up tour this is much better!!!

Last edited by BigWeenie; 09-10-2006 at 10:03 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Faltering, the frisby type things you see danny tossing at the end of the show are actually drumheads w the setlist written on them. he does it at every show. :)
great write up btw
* 8/18/1998-Thomas & Mack Center | UNLV , Las Vegas,NV.
* 8/3/2001-Red Rocks Amphitheater | Morrison, CO.
* 10/11/2002-Coors Events Center | University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
* 5/5/2006-The(original)Joint | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 9/1/2006-Theater Under the Stars | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/27/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/28/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 7/16/2010-Planet Hollywood Theater | Las Vegas, NV.
* 1/15/2012-Mandalay Bay | Las Vegas, NV.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

My second show, the first being Coachella this year.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and Maynard displayed that by walking offstage and leaving us (albeit still amazing) wIth an instrumental The Pot and 46 & 2. I was AMAZED at how the guys didn't falter on anything, and just kept plugging away. When MJK came back on stage, it looked like he leaned over to tell Danny something, who knows what. I know it's probably irritating to get pegged in the head with a waterbottle, while sick, but really it wasn't necessary to leave for AS LONG as he did.

Visuals were amazing, Lateralus had me going NUTS. Rosetta Stoned was amazing, I've found a new liking for that song (as is with hearing most Tool songs live). Hearing Wings was a real treat, but it seemed like most of the audience didn't really get the "specialness" of the tune, and most people seemed pretty bored in my section.

No Jambi, Opiate, Right in Two (FUCK!) really sucks, but you can't blame the guy for being sick. He even cracked a note or two on....Schism was it? I can't remember, but more than once MJK squeaked a bit, but I loved it. They're just guys playing some good rock music, not mythical gods of ancient magic. Stop throwing shit at them.

Oh well. It's Tool. We'll pay twice as much to see half the show and hear a fourth of the actual song.

PS- Isis was great. I can't believe so many people disliked them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

This will be quick, as I'm pretty much still wasted.

First - the whole bottle thing. I personally think we "lost" Jambi due to that incident. What a fuc-king mess - ruin The Pot, and 46&2, and lose a whole song. Just great. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, as while I'd be pissed if it was me that got tagged in the head, I think Maynard was kind of a bitch about the whole thing.

The rest of the show was positively sick - I was amazed at how killer Rosetta Stoned was live - frickin epic.

Lastly, being a drummer, and being in the pit, I was in absolute awe and disbelief watching D. Carey up close for 90 minutes. His drumming is (always) visceral, beautiful, raw and brutal all at once.

Light show was bad a$$ - really loved the green lasers.

Still can't believe no Jambi though.......I WAS WAITING FOR THAT FUC-KING SONG!!!

Oh well, maybe in 2010/2011.

Peace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Whatever hit mjk in the head left a red mark/slight bruise. I was front and center in the pit relaxing on the bar with a flawless view and i swear he was hit with something heavier. I dont think i have ever seen someone look as pissed as he was when he kicked the mic and walked backstage. The show just didnt seem right ever since that happened.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #24
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

It wasn't just a plastic water bottle, because Maynard said "it didn't even break." If someone through glass bottle at my head, I'd probably be just as pissed as he was. I don't think that's why they didn't play Jambi though, I think that's because he was sick and wanted to do a shorter set. I really wanted to Jambi though... up until about a week ago it was one of my least favorite Tool songs, but for some reason I started liking it a lot more and was very eager to see them play it. Oh well. :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

i didnt go to the show, but i read the two posts above this one and had to say that maynard is a real man. if it was infact a glass bottle, then wow maynards the man..

a friend linked me to a youtube video of the lead singer of panic at the disco got hit int he face with a glass bottle and fell to the floor and was unconcious for a bit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7YHLPjEQL0A thats the video, that bottle didnt shatter either.

maynard isnt a 19 year old boy like this guy was but a glass bottle to the face is a glass bottle to the face, props go out to maynard for being able to stay on his feet and finishing up the set
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

My 5th TOOL gig--
Words of wisdom for tonight:
"You guys need to find a different way to express your fucking love.." MJK

Set List:
Stinkfist
The Pot (Abandoned Version)
46 & 2 (Special Instrumental Version) -Has anyone else gotten this live?
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
AENEMA (sorry I don't know how to connect the A and E)

Encore-
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)

Ok, I (also) have mixed feelings about tonight. After Maynard had left the stage (you should know why by now), I just kept thinking that we were going to get fucked out of Right In Two (which we may well have) and Wings pt 1 and 2. Anyway, didn't they make you throw away your water bottles there. I think him being sick made the whole situation worse for him, he was pushing himself a bit and it didnt feel appreciated after the incident. I seemed to feel this tension (knowing what a dick Maynard can be if you don't show respect) through the rest of the concert, after he put his shirt back on he didnt loosen up as before, like he was in a way pouting the rest of the show (c'mon Maynard cheer up, your playing a sold out show for god's sake, you're making money doing what you love to do). This was not your normal TOOL show, the drama may have been good or bad. Also Cricket shut off the fans after the first couple songs, the cheap bastards. I also kept thinking about BLUES BROTHERS the movie, when they were playing "Rawhide" in that cage having shit thrown at them. On with the review...

Yeah, the vocals did suffer a bit from Maynard being sick but the show was still amazing. Rosetta Stoned (minus Lost Keys which I love) with the new visuals of that guy staggering down the highway and Lateralus also with new visuals were the highlights of course. The instrumental 46&2 was also special (who else gets that version). Maybe this can be a new trend, be stupid in your town and see what other instrumental versions we can get. The crowned gem was Wings 1 & 2. I was finally able to relax that Maynard shared that song with us despite what happend. The cloud effect (from left to right) was awesome, I love when I can go "how did they do that?" I was pissed there was no Jambi and for the past month (or whenever they started playing it at shows) really wanted to hear Right In Two; maybe it wasnt planned because of him being ill since the song is very vocal or maybe it was that cocksucker who threw the bottle, I believe that we were atleast fucked out of Jambi (FUCK!!!!). The lasers and smoke machines, the smoke clouds, everything worked very well. Vocally Gammage was better, visually of course TOOL really takes advantage of the arena setting.

I'm not sure what the deal with Los Angeles being on the sleeves of the shirt exactly was, did someone order too many shirts for the last two shows. Well, I waited until the stand was about to close and still got one with it on there, maybe cause they reside in LA. My buddy did make a good point saying that it wouldnt be smart cost wise to have the name of each city on the sleeve, that actually convinced me to buy one (for $38 fucking dollars).

In conclusion, I can't wait for them to come back (maybe America West next year or so). Then maybe we'll get Right In Two. I also hope Maynard felt better after he took his sudafed and jerked off to Comedy Central (isn't that what he said), which maybe he should have done before the show to release some built up tension. Oh and one other thing......Adam Jones is the shit. Thanks TOOL, you put together another breathtaking show.

Last edited by HanInCarbonite; 09-10-2006 at 11:23 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2

Maynard was also sick about two years ago when he came to Phoenix w/ A Perfect Circle, which is probably why he says he is always sick when he gets to Phoenix.

So...I fucking missed the opening act because the crowd was backed up outside forever. I actually did not get inside until about 5-10 minutes before TOOL started their set. I have never seen that many people for a show at Cricket Pavillion in my life. I've been to festivals and other big named bands at this venue, but this crowd was unlike anything I have ever seen.

I was disappointed that they did not play Right in Two, because it sounds like it would be an awesome song to hear live. And I wished they played Jambi because that was my favorite song they performed at Coachella. But it was still an awesome show.

Danny Carey is my hero, by the way. Greatest drummer I've ever seen....
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

Fantastic show. Minus the loss of Maynard in The Pot and 46 & 2...though I can't say I blame him. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the groin of whomever threw that bottle. Everything else was almost perfect. That was the best live performance I've ever seen, ever. Danny was amazing, Adam was just phenominal, and Justin (my hero) was as perfect live as I had imagined. Maynard's performance, of course, justified every one of my arguments to my friends that Tool is one of the greatest bands of our time. This was my first Tool show, (the first time I could afford to see one) and it was worth every minute of waiting and every dollar I saved for the tickets. I can't wait for their return show (god I hope there will be one). I'm dying to hear more Undertow, AEnima, Lateralus...everything (everything I've missed out on). Good show guys, please come back soon!

And all that was
Falls apart
In what will be
When you awaken
Tomorrow...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

Ok, now that was the worst Tool show I have seen yet. And I have been to 5 of them! The fact some waste of space blinked Maynard in the head with a water bottle is just plain RUDE! It was probably the same drunk fuck from 2001 that was yelling at Tricky, "YOU SUCK, I WANT TOOL" What the fuck was that guy thinking? (Hmmmm? Maybe if I hit Maynard in the head with a bottle, he'll like me more?) Some peoples kids!

Maynard had all kinds of weird rules for people backstage. Like no smoking allowed backstage at all, and that they had pictures givin out of the band members so people would know them by sight.

But, since I was working the show, I got a lil news about the asshole who threw the bottle. As far as what I was told by others, the guy was pulled out of the pit by 2 other LARGE stagehands who then proceeded to beat him unmerciful. But again, this is hearsay, not something I saw.

As for Maynard throwin a fit about the whole thing, I think he could have handled it better. Like channeling his anger into the music and using it to SCREAM where he needed to, or telling people to rat out the person who threw it, and have them throw the person onto stage and have Danny Carey throttle him with some drumsticks! I understand that Maynard has some sort of sickness or cold, but he was singing fine before the bottle hit him in the head. Or at least it seemed that was to me.

Anywho, even though it was the worst that I have seen, it was still enjoyable and memorable. Hope you enjoyed it! Wish I could have heard Jambi as well.........

I also have to give my kudos to the Video Crew for the tour. They had one hell of an amazing set. For those of you that could actually see it. If you were in some of the VIP or 100 -200 seating you couldn't see that all that stuff was white onstage for a reason. I know I couldn't see it from the pit. There were 6 large venue projectors hanging above the bandmembers heads projecting the same images you saw on the screens, onto the white parts of the stage they were standing on.

ZERO ONE PRODUCTIONS

http://members.cox.net/zerooneav/Tool640.jpg
But before the fire, you die from fright."
Larry Smit - 1999

Last edited by JesusIsCuming; 09-10-2006 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Cuz
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJudge View Post
Faltering, the frisby type things you see danny tossing at the end of the show are actually drumheads w the setlist written on them. he does it at every show. :)
great write up btw
Ah, so that's what those were. x.x

Hahah, thanks for pointing that out, and thanks for the feedback. =)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanInCarbonite View Post
...maybe it wasnt planned because of him being ill since the song is very vocal or maybe it was that cocksucker who threw the bottle, I believe that we were atleast fucked out of Jambi (FUCK!!!!).
When I was queueing up before the gates opened I heard the rehersal of the voice-box section of Jambi, so I reckon it was a last minute scrubbing from the setlist.

I also agree with the other reviewer who said Maynard sounded fine during Stinkfist and the first part of The Pot, so whether we would have had a reduced setlist anyway is questionable. Only one man can answer that question.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Personally I greatly enjoyed the lack of maynard through the pot and 46 and 2. The raw power of just the music, stripped of vocals, was absolutely amazing.

Last edited by tooltgle; 09-10-2006 at 05:21 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

2nd tool show. TOOL was excellent! venue was terrible, parking was terrible, traffic was terrible, lines to get in were a joke. People in Phoenix are some of the worst fans i've seen. very immature. cricket pavilion is a corporate nightmare. easily the worst place i've seen a concert. i wish TOOL had set a date in N.M. the band did an excellent job. Wings Part 2 was great, highlight of the evening. would've been nice to hear him sing 46&2, we all know why he didn't. IDIOTS! all in all the band was great. phoenix needs to represent their city a little better next time. my last phoenix show, if i can help it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daw399 View Post
2nd tool show. TOOL was excellent! venue was terrible, parking was terrible, traffic was terrible, lines to get in were a joke. People in Phoenix are some of the worst fans i've seen. very immature. cricket pavilion is a corporate nightmare. easily the worst place i've seen a concert. i wish TOOL had set a date in N.M. the band did an excellent job. Wings Part 2 was great, highlight of the evening. would've been nice to hear him sing 46&2, we all know why he didn't. IDIOTS! all in all the band was great. phoenix needs to represent their city a little better next time. my last phoenix show, if i can help it.
I completely agree with you. I have seen a few shows(rock shows) out at Cricket and everyone of them had some morons starting fires out on the lawn. I have a feeling it may be that the heat has fried a few too many brain cells in these single cell oganisms. Too many idiots down here. I should move back to Chicago.
But before the fire, you die from fright."
Larry Smit - 1999
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

I also attended the concert. I agree with Jesusiscuming, worst show ever. However, the band minus Maynard were on top of everything. Even after the bottle incident. Maynard sounded great during Stinkfist and most of The Pot. After he was hit, that was the end of it. Although, I liked how the band kept The Pot going even though it was over. They played the last part twice. And the instrumental 46&2 was neat but the reason for it was fucked up.

I understand that Maynard would be pissed but to let effect the whole show was a bit much. He half assed some songs here and there. Sang only parts of Aenima towards the end and sang the "Fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories" part all three times. I wonder if the fuck heads go the message. It is still good to see them live though. This just was not their best show in Phoenix. I could feel the eneregy get sucked out of the venue after Maynard stormed off. I really wonder how sick he was or if he was just making excuses for cutting the show short. He may have been because to change the set list during a show must throw off the visuals and other stuff.

As for the crowd. FUCK SKINHEADS!!!! Those bastards were lighting fires with their clothes and plastic. They were moshing around it like it was Lord of The Flies. The security was non existent. Most of them looked like they just came out of the hood. They weren't prepared for anything. So the fire kept going. Dumb Asses should not be allowed to attend Tool concerts. Outside after the show there were some assholes destroying a computer monitor. Glass and plastic were every where. I advised them that they should touch the back of the tube.  Maybe it would free our world of a few more dumbasses.

The stage show and lighting were fantastic. I was impressed with the new fogging machines and the lasers. The all white stage totally brought out the ambiance. Overall I would give it a 3 out of 10. My perfect 10 would be the Gammage show.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 12

It was alright. My first concert ever, so really I don't have much to judge this by. I was stuck in the lawn and had pretty good "seats" when we first got there. But then these fuckin assholes kept squeezing inbetween us with maybe 1 foot seperating me and the person in front of them. They kept pushing throgh "exuse me" and I kept saying fuck no... But somehow they managed it. Couldn't see shit the entire time, really.

The mosh pits basically started immediately. One of my friends decided to jump into one and I kept giving him glares, letting him know what a fucking retard he is. The mosh definitely ruined the first half of the show for me because it was just so ridiculous. Didn't get to see the incident with the bottle... Didn't even know Maynard left the stage. I just thought it was weird that he suddenly stopped singing.

Anyway, I thought the band did an amazing job. Listening to them was great, definitely. Love the modified versions of a few songs, and I didn't really mind Maynard's voice at all... Maybe a note here and there, but I really didn't think he was too off, especially being sick and all. I was kinda disappointed that we didn't get "Jambi", but whatever.

LOVED when everyone took out their lighters. That was pretty awesome. And "Wings" just stunned me in awe. It finally stopped the pits and actually calmed those fuckers down.

My problem wasn't so much the band, it was the fans there. "fans". Someone was right on when they said "immature". I was really really ashamed to be surrounded by such a big group of unappreciative, inconsiderate, rude and ignorant assholes. Even my own friend... I let him know what a jackass he was for moshing after I had told him just ebout every day for the past month that moshing at a Tool show is disrespectful to the band and even me. He obviously didn't care for that and shit all over my first experience. So I've distanced myself from him for a while.

Great job Tool. Bad job fans... Most of you sucked balls. To the ones that were there to enjoy a show and let others enjoy it with you. Thanks. You were few and far between but at least you made parts of it enjoyable.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

My first Tool concert. Well there were alot of highs and lows.

i had decent seats. 202 k 16's. And no one in front of me and a hell of alot of space on either side of me. Great views.

Lets start with Isis. I enjoyed their live stuff. The crowd they did draw was mixed from what i was hearing. They how to play their instruments quite well. I just couldnt understand the singer. But overall i liked em.

As for Tool coming out and breaking into stinkfist. I was blown away. Mind you this is the first time i heard them live. Then the pot came i was like SWEET. Then some jackass threw a water bottle at Maynard. What a fucking prick. I hope the got a few broken bones ,whom ever tossed it.

After the bottle incedent he just didnt have the fire in him anymore. A short setlist was bound to happen after that. He coulda just said "fuck it and i am outa here". Glad he didnt thou. Thanks for sticking in there man!

The show had alot of lazer light beam shit. I wasnt all into that but it had a neat effect. I was hearing during the lateralus tour they had some really neat stage props and stuff. Would have liked to see somthing of that nature. But the lazers were alright. Maybe better visuals behind them? Maybe higher? The visuals that were behind you coulda barely see. And the ones on the side. I am not gonna focus on cause i was there to see the band!

Anyways i am just rambling. Tool fucking rocks out! Thanks for the show.

Glad we did get to hear wings and 10k days.

Hopefully he had some good news at the vinyard. Wonder how many groupies headed out that way :> I was gonna be one of them but decided agaisnt it.

Ciao.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

3rd Tool show for me. A real shame what happened during the Pot. Maynard came out and seemed in good spirits initially (did anyone else notice his farting noises as he hit the stage?). I thought he sounded great during Stinkfist, First half of the Pot sounded good then the bullshit started, as alot of people have posted, some waste of space hit Maynard with a bottle and pissed him off. I am convinced this resulted in a shorter setlist without Jambi and Possibly Right in Two. Luckily we did get Wings and Days as an encore which was very well played. A couple of teenagers were screwing on the lawn right in front of my buddy, he got quite a show lol. Despite the bullshit the band overall sounded great, really tight in my opinion, the new fast section during Schism is pretty sweet. Just wish we could have heard Jambi. Screw the cocksucker that threw that damn bottle, what an asshole.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltering View Post
*continued from above*
...some sort of hovering frisbee-like things
I think you'll find those were drum skins, mate. They don't just dish out their top secret hover frisbees to anyone, you know...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

Everythinga bout the show has already been said, This was my first ever Tool concert, Was upset they didn't play Right In Two or anything off of opiate/undertow. However, all the songs they did play were great and the 46&2 instrumental was cool even though it was caused by some idiot. Lateralus is one of my favorite songs and it is even better live. Wings for Marie was a great ending.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: