opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 01. Stinkfist
User Name
Password
Old 08-11-2004, 08:15 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Consumerism?

I don't know why, but I feel like Maynard is using fisting as an analogy for the perpetual longing for more, in a consumer-driven society. It is an observation about how hollow we've become, how we've forsaken introspection for fleeting pleasures and materialism.

Consider the lyrics:

"Constant over stimulation numbs me
and I wouldn't have
It any other way." - we are bombarded with advertising images and an overwhelming amount of choice; so much so that we begin to seek fulfillment outwardly instead of inwardly, we're slaves to all the flashing lights and pretty colours society has to offer.

"It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive." - the mindset of most people. What we own means nothing once we own it, it is the act of the purchase that thrills us: accumulating more and more useless goods distracts us from the mundane and almost futile nature of our cog-like lives- think Ed Norton's IKEA-fest in Fight Club

"I can help you change
Tired moments into pleasure.
Say the word and we'll be
Well upon our way." - this is the seductive voice of society. Get breast implants and people will love you, buy that car and you'll be respected, etc.
Advertising full of false promises and mind-numbing crap.

"Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
How can it mean anything to me
If I really don't feel anything at all?" - people have lost sensitivity and introspection. We've become a generation of dulled and numbed individuals, devoid of originality, creativity and true feeling. Money and Selfishness are the deceptive new Gods, promising fulfillment while pulling people further and further away.

"I'll keep digging till
I feel something.
Elbow deep inside the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Shoulder deep within the borderline.
Relax. Turn around and take my hand." - We dig and dig, but we find nothing. Eventually dissillusioned with consumer culture, we reach into ourselves, searching for our soul to find we no longer have one.

Fisting is a deeply intrusive act; widely percieved as grotesque. While Maynard may not agree with this, I believe he uses Fisting as an analogy because it's connotations reflect that of consumer-culture.

Just one of my perspectives on this song, I'm not saying it's the right one! :P
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:25 PM   #2
+-+
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Consumerism?

I have a reaction to this post which I think will also serve as something of an introduction to the group. I'm a 4th year English major at UCLA. One of the things I've been taught is that when dealing with a work of art is it important to keep in mind the text, or in this case the lyrics. The connection you draw between this song and consumerism doesn't seem to have any basis in the song. The numbness, loss of sensitivity, desire for more than what one needs and disillusionment all seem to be present in the song. In short, your look at the emotional states described in the song are right on. I think the problem with your arguement is the connection you draw between these emotional states and consumerism. I don't see consumerism being referenced directly in the song.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
+-+
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Consumerism?

Also I would like to add that I really appreciate the way you quote the lyrics and then interpert them. I think this is a much better way of finding the meaning in a song than just stating "I think this song is about..." without explaining why you think the meaning is such and such.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: