opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/08/29 - Salt Lake City, UT - E-Center

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962
Re: 2006/08/29 - Salt Lake City, UT - E-Center

stinkfist
the pot
46 and 2 with intro
jambi
schism with intro
rosetta stoned with intro
opiate
sober with dc solo and intro
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

as I walk out of the venue :)
Old 08-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

AMAZING
First Tool show and that was nuts... Highlight was probably Lateralus
I'll type more tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962

I liked when Maynard told the "meatheads in the front" to quit hitting each other with chairs. Fucking idiots. He said that if that was their reaction to Tool's music, he was going to walk out.

Being on the floor was pretty shitty, as I had to stand on my chair the entire time just to catch fleeting glimpses of the band. Which in turn meant I couldn't see basically ANY of the videos or effects.

The music ruled though. 46 and 2 seemed a bit slower than usual, which was cool but not as hardcore as I was expecting. Highlights were Lateralus and Aenema, I reckon.

Awesome show!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

That was fucking awsome, The floor lights were great, Lateralus was awsome. Should have had GA section so the "Meatheads" wouldn't throw their chairs around. Nice work TOOL please come back
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

My second Tool show. Tool was great, the setlist was awesome, but I have several disapointments, all comeing from the fact that the floor was assigned seating rather than standing general admission. I fell sorry for the people who stood in line on the first day to get floor seats, as it looked like only the first few rows got a good view. It looked like about 3/4 of the floor as well as the first few rows of the lower bowl were standing on their chairs. As I was on the front row of of the lower bowl, I was on my chair the whole time, which got to be very uncomfortable. It's a good thing I go to concerts sober or else I would probably have fallen off. As it was I had few close calls. And of course you have a few idiots who decide they don't want chairs and start swinging them around. I'm glad Maynard told them off.

The show itsself was awesome, though. All the songs except schism were favories of mine. Even that song was great, just not a personal favorite. My favories of the night, in no particular order, were 46 and 2 (my all time favorite Tool song), Lateralus (my second all time favorite), Stinkfist, Opiate, Vicarious, Roseta Stoned, Aenema... in other words half the show is tied for favorite. The only songs I wish they played was Parabol/a and Wings/10000 Days.

I was very happy with the show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

They also played Faaip De Oiad (sans the Art Bell sample). It was the intro to either Schism or Sober. The drumming during it was some of the most intense of the night.

The lasers and other lights were tastefully done. I thought they jived well with the set. By the time 46 and Two got underway, the chairs started getting ripped apart. The security staff was simply inadequate and basically gave up, but several folks up front held their place through much of the show. Maynard helped calm the situation by threatening to stop the show, but some of those folks are exactly what Keenan called them; meat-heads. Jambi was not the best song to jump into at that particular moment, however. It sounded great, but it riled up the crowd again.

Why this band has to appeal to some of the worst music fans in existence is beyond me. I hate hipsters and scene-shits as much as anybody, but one thing I like about them is they are respectful of others around them who attend shows. Not so of quite a few Tool fans. I swear, the whole point of coming to shows for some of you fuckers is just to be belligerent, and I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but you suck big donkey shaft. I hope cancer is your end, I really do.

Jones looked completely incredulous after the chairs started flying in front of his part of the stage. He backed away from his usual position for much of the show and looked a bit disgusted when he had to go back there to be close to his set up and his synth. I don't blame him at all. He and the rest of the band (minus Keenan) warmed up to the crowd by the end, though, and seemed really appreciative of the response to Vicarious and Ænema.

The band performed extremely well, and I was blown away by Lateralus, Rosetta, and the way they ended Opiate. Truly beautiful.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:18 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 377

great show. i just got into work so i cant write much. my ears are still deaf. anyways i got to work but i just wanted to say that it was a sick show. before TOOL started i saw camella just chillin in the middle by the sound boards and my seat was right by her so i went up to her and said, "sorry if i am wrong but you are camella right?" she said yes. then i said, "hi, my name chase, please tell adam that i say thank you". that was about it. she was really nice to me and seems like a very cool woman. i will type more later. peace. Awesome show
Old 08-30-2006, 06:20 AM   #9

This was my 5th Tool show and I was in row 14 on the floor. I could see the band pretty good standing, but spent most of my time on the cross bar of the chair in front of me w/ my back foot supporting my self on my seat. I was told by the security a few times to get down...thought that was BS. But it was a GREAT show! I was close enough to be able to enjoy a lot of the visuals. I wish the back wall was just a little taller though. Lasers were freakin' awesome!

DC's drum solo after Opiate was SICK!! The extended version of "Stinkfist" and "Schism" were awesome! I was really looking forward to "Jambi" and "Rosetta Stoned"...very glad they played them and pulled them off perfectly.

All in all, this was probably my 3rd fav Tool show out of 5 only because the first 2 had closer seats.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The intro for Rosetta Stoned was Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman) w/o dialogue.

I thought it was okay at times, pretty good for the most part. If the two Utah Lateralus shows were a 9 and 10, respectively, then this one was a solid 5 or 6.

Jambi and Forty-six & 2 were the highlights; I thought that Lateralus was a little disappointing...semed rushed when they can really open that thing up when they want to.

I was on the floor at row 22, didn't have too much problem seeing the band when I was standing on the chair, and honestly not even too much when I was on the floor (short people in front of me).

After AEnima, when the band took a bow, I didn't see Maynard. Did he just take off? If so, what's up with that?

I thought Justin was fucking awesome, though. He was totally into it and although I am thiiiiis close to actually hating "Sober," his contributions to the feedback drenched intro was pretty badass.

Last edited by Sprry75; 08-30-2006 at 07:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #11

Bincount™: 4

My 3rd Tool show and it was awesome. We had great seats that were high enough to see the stage but close enough to see everything going on with the band. I am glad I wasn't on the floor, I am short so I never get floor seats.
It was a great show and I brought two friends of mine who had never seen Tool before so that was fun. 46&2 and Jambi back to back was awesome. I loved seeing Rosetta Stoned played live, that was cool and I was watching Maynard switch mic's for the different parts. Lateralus was great as well. The whole show was very well done with the effects changing throughout the night. I also thought Danny's drum solo was awesome, and the changes they made to Opiate were cool as well. The lasers were really cool, it was such an attack on the senses, because it was a concert but it was also so visual.
Luckily I was surrounded by people who were very respectful to each other and I didn't have any problems. There were many people who made me laugh because they were idiots, but not enough to bother me. Some of the fun of going to a Tool concert is to see some of the people that come out of the woodwork. I think that there is quite a broad range of people who come out to Tool shows. It sucks that the Merch was so expensive, but I expected that.
I hope they come back through this year and play SLC twice like the last tour.

By the way, did anyone take any pictures last night? If so, please post here or at Flickr or something.

Last edited by tygut1; 08-30-2006 at 07:15 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprry75 View Post

After AEnima, when the band took a bow, I didn't see Maynard. Did he just take off? If so, what's up with that?
After Aenima Maynard put his ATF jacket back on and slowly walked off the stage. He didn't really bow or do anything like that. I wonder if he was still upset about the "meatheads" in the front.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:23 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

3rd time seeing Tool. Row 11, seat 11 on floor. I could see everything perfectly the whole time. I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about how amazing ISIS was. Well, is. They sounded really good, and their music is liquid.

___

Our skin worn thin
Our bones exposed
Life reduced to ticks

From forest caves and azure skies
We crashed upon this earth
The years they passed and so did we
But, resistance would be brought

___

Pressing on.. Maynard said the following:

*Stinkfist ends*
-- "Salt fuckin lake..."
*cheer*
-- "You people are still here?"
*cheer*
*The Pot begins*

*Pot ends*
-- "Hey uh.. meatheads in the front row. You guys would throw chairs?.. If people are gonna get hurt,.. I'm leaving. No reason to get hurt over a bunch of rock songs..... seriously."
*Jambi begins*

*Rosetta ends*
-- "BLEET"
*audience bleet's* (well, most of the audience bleets.)
-- "MOOOOOO"
*audience does not moo*
-- "You sure?!"
*cheer*
-- "BLEET"
*Opiate begins*

-- "In a nutshell.., there you have it."

___

Ultimately, amazing. I was in favor of the assigned seating, as it allowed me to enjoy myself, and the music, instead of fending off 'meatheads', and trying to protect myself. Personal space.

I bought an ISIS shirt.

End.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

setlist.
Stinkfist (extended)
The Pot
46 & 2 (crazy intro)
Jambi
Schism (extended)
Lost Keys (without the Doctor and nurse)
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate (extended)
Sober (amazing drum solo intro)
Lateralus
Vicarious (intro)
Aenema

i know dan already posted the setlist but he forgot Lost Keys which was a really fucking sick intro
Old 08-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumny View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about how amazing ISIS was. Well, is. They sounded really good, and their music is liquid.
I wasn't really that impressed with Isis. I liked the music and I thought they had a cool sound, I didn't really like the vocals and I found it a little boring. Just my opinion. Maybe I was just too excited to see Tool, so I didn't really care about Isis.

Last edited by tygut1; 08-30-2006 at 08:39 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Awesome show!

Glad to know the damn fucking meatheads didn't ruin the whole show for the rest of us.

I was a little disappointed with the stage setup. I guess it is nostalgia calling, but I missed the big screens.

The hanging lights at the back were a bit cheesy, in my opinion.

The music was great. If they come again I don't want to hear old stuff though... I'm a little tired of Sober. Play The Grudge and Right in Two!!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

There is alot of good in Maynard (we already knew this). Nice to see someone try to NOT encite the crowd.

A M E N ! ! !
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

As much as I knew what the setlist was going to be, they sure made it sound amazing. Since it has been reported they are changing the setlist for the arena shows, I have to believe they are coming back for more. That being said, I dont think Maynard enjoyed himself last night. (not much to say, very short encore/break after Lateralus, and he was off the stage in a hurry after Aenema) Probably the meatheads who he must get real sick of. Seats were off to Adams right 20 rows up. Real good spot, the only downer was I couldnt see Danny very well and as we all know he is fun to watch. Rosetta Stoned and Lateralus were the highlights for me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Did anyone recognize the conversation taking place before Tool went on? I heard the name 'Joe' repeatedly, as well as the fact that Joe can't play in a black metal band, because he's white. It was quite humorous.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumny View Post
Pressing on.. Maynard said the following:

*Stinkfist ends*
-- "Salt fuckin lake..."
*cheer*
*cheer*
*The Pot begins*

*Rosetta ends*
-- "BLEET"
-- "MOOOOOO"
*audience does not moo*
-- "You sure?!"
*cheer*
-- "BLEET"
*Opiate begins*
A couple of corrections:

*Stinkfist ends*
-- "Salt fuckin lake..."
*cheer*
*cheer*
-- "I warned you, didn't I?
*cheer*
*The Pot begins*

*Rosetta ends*
-- "BLEET (like a goat)"
-- "MOOOOOO"
*audience does not moo*
-- "You sure?!"
*cheer*
-- "OK, have it your way"
*Opiate begins*
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

So you all know, the "amazing DC drum solo" was Faaip De Oiad.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

stinkfist
the pot
46 and 2 with intro
jambi
schism with intro and drum solo
lost keys rosetta stoned
opiate
sober with intro and drum solo
lateralus
-break- vicarious
aenema

insane show white stage was crazy, interesting not having big screens this time with video stuff but the visuals were still way intense lasers and all, rosetta stoned and lateralus were my favorites of the nights, amazing, i think maynard was not happy cuz of the idiots on the floor throwing chairs and shit if warned them after 46 and 2 to stop or he would leave, at the end he bailed while danny adam and justin waved and threw stuff but who knows, i just hope they come back soon, oh and isis is amazing, hella good show
"before we pine away, before we pine away, before we pine away, before we piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine away............................... do do do doooooooooooooo do" wake up from the dream and Welcome to the beginning of your life ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Goddamnit, maybe I am just being picky about this, but the set list is as follows:

stinkfist
the pot
46 and 2 with intro
jambi
schism with intro and drum solo
lost keys rosetta stoned
opiate
FAAIP DE OIAD
sober with intro
lateralus
vicarious
aenema
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Faaip De Oiad was sick. thanks for pointing that out. i didn't know was Faaip until you guys said something. thanks

edit: WHERE THE HELL IS THE VICARIOUS VIDEO?

Last edited by chiller; 08-30-2006 at 10:20 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Id like to Thank the DIP SHIT a few seats down from me for being the biggest Dildo and throwing the cup of beer into the Floor crowd. Way to show off your discret dumbassedness. I thank you cuz..its been a long time since Ive actually wanted to kick someone's ass..and it was a good feeling.
Also..the dancing monkey on the opposite side of me.. Uhh..I SO did not pay to see you flayling around like a drunken retard..ur Not Maynard. and you don't look cool.
So.. Other than the lovelies surrounding me..I thought our Crowd was Great! I felt the lesser enthusiasm from Maynard as well..I REALLY hope he will return.

Also..Dan. Did I not warn you to trade your floor seats!! heh
Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiller View Post
great show. i just got into work so i cant write much. my ears are still deaf. anyways i got to work but i just wanted to say that it was a sick show. before TOOL started i saw camella just chillin in the middle by the sound boards and my seat was right by her so i went up to her and said, "sorry if i am wrong but you are camella right?" she said yes. then i said, "hi, my name chase, please tell adam that i say thank you". that was about it. she was really nice to me and seems like a very cool woman. i will type more later. peace. Awesome show
dude, not cool

a bunch of people around me tried to start a maynard chant, i got pissed off and tried to start a danny chant
We are eternal... without judgement...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

OK I had to park in BFE and walk right past a Mormon church on the way to see Tool. LOL! Buy the time I got my Beer Isis was done with their set. I walked down to the floor to see where my seat was. I thought UUmmm 26th row is too far away! O-well I walked back up the stairs and got more beer and decided to watch the show from higher up for a while. I was able to see what people were saying about the stage and awesome visual effects and how you couldn't get the whole effect from the floor. Then I decided to walk down to the floor to try and make my way to the front and soon noticed that the security wasn't letting anyone forward of the 19th row (unless you had ticket for it) sure it kept the trampling and squishing to a minimum, but I like to get as close as possible and behind the 19th row sucked and I didn't want to risk climbing over the chairs to get past security. so I found it easier to see when I got off the floor and up higher. Overall they sounded awesome! Tool puts on a great show! I had fun and went with a shitload of other Tool fans to invade the local Denny's after the show to sober up a bit more before driving home. I hope to see Tool again soon. I hope to get closer seats next time. I didn't even bother to go to my seat on the 26th row.

Last edited by metpetnet; 08-30-2006 at 10:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSide View Post
Also..the dancing monkey on the opposite side of me.. Uhh..I SO did not pay to see you flayling around like a drunken retard..ur Not Maynard. and you don't look cool.

I cannot confirm this, but I may have been the dancing monkey. The headache I woke up with indicates I may, in fact, have been a dancing monkey at several points throughout the show and was most certainly a drunken retard.

My sincerest apologies.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #29

Here's a few pics off my phone. I was row 14 on the floor (Justin's side). Had a great view of everyone except Adam, but I could still see him just not as good as the others.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...324/tool10.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...324/tool17.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...324/tool15.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...m324/tool7.jpg

Let me know if you can't see the pics and I'll try to fix it. Should be a link.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towely View Post
dude, not cool

a bunch of people around me tried to start a maynard chant, i got pissed off and tried to start a danny chant

why is that not cool? i just said hi before the show started and told her to say thank you to adam thats it. i dont know whats wrong with that? i wasnt chanting maynard, adam, justin, or danny. i FUCKING CHANT TOOL. :)
Old 08-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towely View Post
dude, not cool

Not cool??
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by third_eye77 View Post
Here's a few pics off my phone. I was row 14 on the floor (Justin's side). Had a great view of everyone except Adam, but I could still see him just not as good as the others.

Great shots of the cheesy lights! LOL! Actually the one with the green lazers looks pretty neat. Thanks for posting.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #33

I was really thinking a big screen was going to come up instead of the Christmas lights, but it was still cool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #34
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 119

Quote:
I thought it was okay at times, pretty good for the most part. If the two Utah Lateralus shows were a 9 and 10, respectively, then this one was a solid 5 or 6.
I agree. The Lateralus tour was phenominal, in terms of energy, setlist, and set design. I was just a little disappointed at the minimalist set this time, and it was shorter than the Lateralus shows I saw, but they made up for it with how much energy they had last night. It was a little bit slow to start, and it got a little awkward after the "meathead" thing, but once Schism started, people went crazy and never stopped.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #35

OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by third_eye77 View Post

Nice, thanks for the pic's.
Was the "Dancing Monkey" a big guy with no shirt and bleached blonde hair? If so, he/you were about 5 rows down from me and annoying, but not enough to ruin the show for me.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #37
On Probation

Bincount™: 1

Leave it to Utah and the E Center to screw up a great show. I was on the floor and it sucked ass. A bit tipsy and stoned I nearly fell off my chair a half dozen times or so, it was a joke. I am also 6'2" and still had a hard time catching any action. I saw Maynard like 5 times during the entire show. The stage setup was pretty weak but overall the music and the energy is what made it all worthwhile. After Aenima I thought the roof was gonna collapse and thought maybe for sure they would play one more song but then the lights came on.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #38
Level 2 - Poster

My dancing monkey was not big and did not have bleached hair. Glad to know there were MORE out there. ha ha ha.

Thanks for the apology..It could not have been you if you are apologizeing. This kid was SUCH an ass.

Last edited by ShadowSide; 08-30-2006 at 12:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 01:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSide View Post
My dancing monkey was not big and did not have bleached hair. Glad to know there were MORE out there. ha ha ha.

Thanks for the apology..It could not have been you if you are apologizeing. This kid was SUCH an ass.
Yes you weren't the only one. The bleached hair guy around me was pretty funny actually. It was a Tool concert and he was dancing as if he was at a club, somehow he was listening to C&C Music Factory in his head. And I imagine that he wouldn't be here apologizing either, he is probably too hungover to type.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

This was my third Tool Show (I saw 2 shows on the Lateralus Tour, PHX & Tucson). It wasn't the best one of the three, but it was still phenomonal. The stage was really cool at one point it looked like the whole stage was on fire. I was on the side, so I had a great view, without the meat heads. Most everything about the music and the show have already been covered, but I loved that they played Opiate and the whole sheep thing, I took that as a definite statement about Utah, but maybe I am reading into things. Did anyone catch the shameless psuedo lesbian shit going on before Tool came on? Lame! I don't know if they were trying to get back stage or what, but it was stupid. Also, there was a guy holding signs as traffic was leaving the venue stating that Tool was evil and all sinners should repent. I am not sure if he was serious, but it was strange. There were some real winners out last night! But all in all loved the show wish I could see a couple more this tour, hope they come back soon.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: