opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 08-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116
2006/08/27 - George, WA - Gorge Amphitheatre

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 166
Re: 2006/08/27 - George, WA - Gorge Amphitheatre

Setlist:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

A few months ago when I heard about this show, I convinced my mom to buy me tickets as a birthday present(today is my birthday). I asked her to get me 2 tickets for the hillside seating. I chose to sit on the hill because I have found from previous concerts I have attended at the gorge the hill was just an overall better experience, also with previous Tool concerts I found that being in front is overrated. If you are in the pit for a Tool show, you will miss out on what I think are the best parts of the show.

I decided to take my cousin Howard because I recently found out that he is a huge Tool fan. We decided to get there pretty early so we could find a good place to sit. We thought that getting there around 5:30 would give us enough time for that so we left my house right around 5:00. Once we arrived we found a place center stage at the bottom on the hill, right behind the pathway at the bottom of the hill. Shortly after that I went looking for a friend of mine that said she was going to be working in a beer stand. I was unable to find her so I didnt drink anything. After an hour or so, Howard gave me money to get a tool shirt as a birthday present, so I went and bought one. I also bought a hat.

Anyway, around 8:00 Isis came on and played for about 30 minutes. I wasnt too impressed but I think that if I listened to them without the anticipation for Tool I would really like them. Their music was well played and well written. While they were playing we realized that our seats werent that great because a bunch of people were stopping on the pathway in front of us and blocking the entire stage from our view. Before this point security had been coming through askign these people to move, but after that this stopped happening. We then decided to find a place a little further down the hill. We found a spot right at the fenceline slightly left of the stage. While we were sitting there, a woman behind us was talking about wanting them to play Third Eye. I disappointed her by handing her a setlist that I had figured they would play(judging from the 5 or 6 most recent shows). It turned out that I was completely correct about the setlist.

They started the show with Stinkfist, and I was slightly disappointed that they did not have large screens up showing Adam's videos. This disappointment went away very quickly when they played The Pot. It turns out that the entire stage was their screen for the video, it was projected onto the floor beneath them. When I saw this I was extremely happy that I had gotten hillside tickets. I was also impressed with The Pot, that is the one song from the new album that I had still not been able to really enjoy. Much like The Patient from Lateralus, I gained a new appreciation for it after seeing it played live. Maynard wore a cowboy hat and had chaps and a large belt buckle and probably cowboy boots on while singing and riding the mic stand like a bull or something, that was quite interesting to see.

During Jambi, a guy went right in front of us and acted like a complete moron, he was shaking the fence and just acting like a drunk idiot. He then claimed that he was going to bust his way into the seating area and get up on top of the control booth. During Schism we actually saw the guy on top of that booth dancing like a freak, it was kinda funny. It took 4 security people to finally get the guy to come down, he was very agile and unpredictable - that helped him get away for at least 10 minutes. Besides that there wasnt anything particularly noteworthy for a person that has seen them live a few times before - until they played Rosetta Stoned. For that one, Maynard wandered around the stage like he was searching for something. He bent down in several places and seemed to be playing with something on the ground, I wasnt close enough to really see what it was though. Before playing RS, Maynard yelled "wake up you drunk fuckers." Later, before Lateralus, they said they were done, and sat on the stage for maybe 5 minutes. It was the closest I had seen of them doing an encore.

When playing Lateralus, a string of lights behind the stage came on and more lights were brought up from the floor. They then had something of a laser show which was quite a surprise for me.

I kinda feel sorry for the people that paid extra for floor seats, I know a lot about the setup for the Gorge from working there a few years ago. These people could not have gotten the full visual experience of the show. There is no way they could have seen the stage beneath the band members. Personally, I thought that was the most unique and interesting part of the show.

Oh yeah, i dont recall exactly, but maynard said something about the view, and that it was amazing for the number 1 venue in the world.. something like that, i am not sure, i do know he calle dhte gorge the "number 1" venue though.

sorry, one more before i am done.. before lateralus, maynard said that the set was dedicated to someone who had a birthday today i think the guys name was keith something. i forget. after that he said they also dedicated the set to their favorite word "vagina"

one more thing, right before stinkfist, maynard said "blah blah blah" i may have heard this one wrong, but it seemed like that is exactly what he said.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:59 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15

Awesome show, can't really add much that wouldn't totally reiterate what you said. The beach balls and balloons were interesting - and those two wearing Corn Pops t-shirts, one with "Maynard Love Corn Pops" and the other with "Tool Army." I think the latter (guy) was the one putting the beach balls out at first. Quite.. uh.. interesting. The smoke was somewhat irritating, having been used to non-smoking inside gigs. I'd say Opiate probably made the night for me - the crowd singing the song in unison was great.

Oh, and I *think* the guy he dedicated it to was Kevin Wilson, whoever that is.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

The set was dedicated to Kevin Willis, "and to our favorite word... vagina."

FYI... "Willis is a very talented painter and photographer whose work is familiar to most, if not all, Tool fans. His painting of Bill Hicks 'treating' Maynard was used for the artwork of Anima,and his canvases hang in the homes of the individual band members. He took the photos (including the cover shots) for the Modern Drummer magazine issues that featured Danny, and his work appears in several other magazines that featured Tool. He was the co-producer for nearly all of the band's critically acclaimed videos, and he even appeared in Stinkfist (where he was heavily flocked). Besides his contributions to so many Tool related projects, Kevin has also worked as an artist/photographer for A Perfect Circle, The Melvins Vendetta Red, Pretty Make Graves, Vells, and several other groups." -BMB- September 2003 E.V.

I can't really write an extensive review of the show right now. Just got back to Portland from the Gorge and it's 5 AM. I have to get up in 4 hours to catch my flight home... *sigh.*

However I will briefly say...

0) Isis was all I expected and more. I can't wait to get to see them again. I've always enjoyed TOOL's opening acts... but finally, here's one that I can fully get into. I just wish they were given a little bit longer set... 45 minutes for an opening act isn't too much to ask, is it? Excellent nonetheless...

1) TOOL was tight and entertaining, as always.

2) The venue is incredible... just like I remembered it from 10 years ago.

3) The setlist... yeah... I'll leave that one alone in this thread...

4) I was not the least bit impressed with the lighting/videos/lasers/overall stage presentation. The video screens behind the band were really too small to see from the floor seats, and we couldn't see down onto the stage at all. The strings of lights that were raised near the end of the show were particularly disappointing. They just looked cheap and hokey... like Christmas lights in a trailer park that get left up year round.... or maybe like some run-down old carnival/ amusement park out on an old highway in the desert. I DO kind of like the white theme/lab coats/ white stage turned into a video screen... but it didn't seem to work as well as Adam might have been imagining it when he designed it. At least I hope that's the case.

5) I spoke with a friend in TOOL's crew after the show. Apparently they rehearsed The Grudge and Wings/10000 Days during warmup/soundcheck. I was told that they're still working out some kinks in 10000 Days, but they seem to be progressing. "They usually just stop about halfway through and look at each other, scratching their heads, but today they almost got all the way through it." So... sounds like some lucky city will be seeing/hearing 10000 Days pretty soon. I can only hope it's at one of the Texas shows... since I'll be there too.

That's it for me, for now. G'night... er... "peace out" as Maynard put it.

EDIT: I would add Merkaba to that setlist, since there was a shortened version played just before Sober... like they used to do on the '96 tour.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...

Last edited by optimistic-pessimist; 08-28-2006 at 07:15 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I can't believe there are people out there still complaining about the setlist, you know what you are getting into, if you are going to complain, don't go to the show. my 13th Tool show and the stage, lighting, visuals, all were amazing. Was on the floor, saw everything perfect, not sure why the guy and Howard was talking about. Danny, sick on the intro to Sober, Schism and Stinkfist breaks, totally fucking sick, all around excellent show, just what I had expected. I did run into someone who was one of the other lucky folks to be at the first Cochella, we reminissed over a couple 9 dollar beers, good times......
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

Beautiful, beautiful show.

Isis rocked my world. So glad I was introduced to them this way - definitely gonna get some of their CDs. Like Tool, when they come up with a good musical idea, they don't rush it - they take their time with it, enjoy it, play with it.

Tool ruined all other concerts for me... simply amazing.
"Blah blah blabbity blah."

"Let me introduce you...Gorge, Seattle. Seattle, Gorge."

"This song is dedicated to Kevin Willis, it's his birthday today; and to our favorite word... vagina."

"Peace - out."

Stinkfist was the extended version (very glad to get to hear that)

Included lost keys (blame hofmann) as the intro to Rosetta Stoned; they had the guitar tech onstage dressed in one of those doctor's lab coats.

Sober had that Merkaba intro, but shorter and much tighter than the actual "Merkaba".

Schism felt like they did something new, or maybe I just heard it in a new light. It felt like Adam was doubletiming it towards the end, just blazing along - awesome. Very cool to sit as close as I did and see him with the talkbox on Jambi. Being that close gave me a good look at his use of the looper/ phrase sampler pedals for Forty Six & 2 / Sober, etc. to repeat the main phrase and play the squeals / dissonance / feedback / Tool awesomeness over it.

Opiate they were playing with, that was righteous. Slowed down a bridge in the middle, savoring it. The lyrics came twice as slow: "If you want to get your soul to heaven..." and the audience chanted the next part as Maynard shook his head 'no.' They finished the measure instrumentally, and *then* the : "Trust in me, don't judge or question." Still the audience rushing along to the next line, but again the patient instrumental end to the measure, making us wait: "You are broken now, but faith can heal you..."

Felt like there were three encores, with Lateralus, Vicarious, and then Ænema. I was in heaven the whole show. This set list just kicks ass. An amazing flow to the entire experience.

Thanks, guys.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Absolutely amazing experience. My first Tool show, but not my first gorge experience. I felt that the performance itself was spot on outstanding, with the overall highlight being an awesome version of Opiate. Though I was a little irritated with what seemed to be a trailer park communion forming right in front of me, I was happy to see them disperse when TOOL first said Goodnight, not knowing they would be missing the last leg of the concert. Not much else I can say that others have not. But in regards to people complaining about the setlist, you've got to realize that the Gorge is not your normal venue. Most people drive at LEAST 3 hours to get there, then wait another 4+ hours for the show to start, also it has almost become a Gorge expectation for artists to play longer than usual sets. So I can understand why people would be a little dissapointed that they ended up waiting in the parking lot to get out for a longer time than Tool performed. But hey, although the setlist was tried and true, and for the most part short, it didn't fail to impress at any moment. Though I would die to see a Led-Zeppelin style 3+ hour setlist with some 20+ minute songs, in the end, all the waiting, driving, and drunken white trash, paid off because tool is one of the best bands performing as of now........BUT they COULD be the BEST.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Excellent show! I was in the 34th row near the middle right next to that covered soundboard area. got a good close up view of the dude running around on the roof. that was funny as hell! The sound was sooo goood where I was sitting, but we couldnt take full advantage of the full-stage projection screen experience. but still i wouldn't sacrifice that kind of sound quality for visuals. if anyone has photos taken before dark of the gorge stage with the canyon and river background it would be nice for others that have never been there to see it. it is a truly magnificent venue. the scenery behind and beyond the stage is so beautiful it looks like an oil painting or something. almost surreal.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

As for the setlist being dedicated to Kevin Willis, it only makes perfect sense in a sense that hte setlist was absolutely perfect! Well, first off, the scenic view of the gorge is absolutely perfect. With the way it looks behind the stage, it's a very artsy frame in the mind. There is so much more there than a indoor gig, but it remains nicer. I loved how they fucked with everyone on Stinkfist, and Opiate. ISIS, I love that band and it seems most people did not give a fuck about them. I think they are a great visionary band. Beer was damn near impossible to get, and I would have missed all of ISIS to almost get the beer.

Worst part about the show. Lack of beer and rape-you-in-the-ass prices.

By the way, I was in the middle of the grass about 15 yards up from the bottom walkway. It was excellent. As the last post said, it was very surreal.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Oh yeah, can anyone explain what Adam and Maynard were doing putting or pulling something off the ground or putting something on the stage during Rosetta? I couldn't tell what they were doing??????? HELP!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

This was my second Tool show. I drove to the Gorge from Boise, Idaho. This show couldnt have been more amazing in my opinion.

I had general admission seating but was right up close against the edge so just about as close as you could get from being in the "golden circle." I couldnt have been more happy with my decision to get general admission seating, the view was phenomenal. The stage looked AMAZING from that view. I read someones post on this thread about the stage not being impressive, I can totally imagine why you felt that way being below the stage. You had to have seen it from above man, it was intense, especially when they started doing the yellow flashing lights all over the stage that went on tempo, WOW. During Lateralus when they lowered the strings of lights, that was a beautiful touch for those who werent on the floor. It all looked very classy and fitting. So basically the stage was bad ass. Im pretty sure I liked it better than the Lateralus tour stage props and light show, but that show is a pretty big blur for me. Plus this was The Gorge, probably one of the most beautiful venues in the U.S.
BallsOfSatan, I totally agree with you that the scenery looked very fake and painting-ish. It was SICK.

As for the performance... perfect. They played amazing, as usual. They are always so tight knitted and always flowing with eachother so well. The sounds that Adam Jones can produce just puts my mind into a blender. Danny Carrey was dead on, but who would expect less? Justin had a very commanding presence on stage. Maynard, well, he was just Maynard. Bad ass, dead on, creepy, funny, weird and extremly confident. That guy can move in the weirdest ways, it just makes you wonder if he is really human under that skin ;) hahaha

All in all, the show sent chills up my spine. Being around 20,000+ Tool fans felt amazing. I believe it was after Lateralus that the entire Ampitheater lit up their lighters and it was a giant glowing ball of light all around, I cant imagine what that would have looked like from the stage. Just turning around and seeing thousands of lit lighters being held up took your breath away. The band even put down their instruments, and all sat down together on the drum platform and checked out the view, then got back up and rocked the rest of their set. At the end they all stood and waved and threw out things into the crowd and you could tell how touched they were by the energy coming at them from this mass wave of people. That show is one to remember for a life time. Best show Ive ever experienced, hands down. (besides the hellish parking lot and sea of people when the show was over hahaha)
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15

If anyone has pictures of the show, especially of the sea of lighters, I'd LOVE to see them. That moment was absolutely surreal - the entire place lit up.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show.

I was in section A, row 19, which was close, but a shitty view of the light show.

I took a couple pictures of the lighters, I'll try to upload them tomorrow.

Did anyone notice how during the beginning of Jambi, Maynard pointed towards the mountains behind the stage when he sang "Here from the king's mountain view"? I thought that was cool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Hola.

There are some discrepencies in the quotes ... one being that Maynard didn't say "Seattle" in his Gorge introductions. He said "Tool ... Gorge. Gorge ... Tool." You wacky Seattlites try to usurp everything, even something that's over 100 miles away from your over-expensive fish market.

Anyway!

I've heard some music from Isis, because my friend is a big fan of their's. For my tastes, they don't quite hit the spot. Bands that growl instead of singing just don't work for me. I'm a person who thinks the spoken word is just as, if not more important, than the music that accompanies it. That said ... they were awesome musicians, and if someone compared them to the Pink Floyd of metal, I would dig that.

This is the first time I've seen Tool, too, since VoodooFest in New Orleans during the Lateralus days, back when the super-contortionists hung out with the band .... and I was pretty excited, making up my dream setlists, etc. I had read some posts from other concerts, but I had hoped that something totally unique and unprecedented would happen here at The Gorge ...

1. The Venue - The Gorge, as stated, is a beautiful venue. I can't remember if it was noted, but Maynard turned away from the audience in "Jambi" to face towards said-view, singing "king's mountain view ..." and waving his hand slowly across the landscape. That drew some cheers.

I can also imagine that besides the view, this place has to be a favorite of the band because a.) it's situated right next to a winery and fields of grapes and b.) it's damn close to a military base in the mountains, with signs along the road on the way there, warning pedestrians not to enter "military space."

We traveled from Portland, and it was worth the trip, but if anyone goes, I would definitely suggest camping that night, as there are very few routes out of the Gorge. We sat in the grass parking lot, engine idling, for an hour before moving. Should have brought a grill. Someone lit off fireworks in the parking lot to notate where they were ... but with all of the forest fires that are happening in this area these days, it seemed like bad taste in hindsight.

2. Experience & The Setlist - It was a nice setlist. Quite powerful, and I definitely enjoy all the new sounds/flourishes within old favorites such as "Opiate." I wish I could have heard "Right in Two" or any other number of songs, but hey, I can't complain. I teared up a little during the climax of "Aenema," maybe because it was a long time since I'd seen them, maybe because I still resonate with those lines Maynard sings, "Don't just call me pessimist; try and read between the lines!"

I wish Maynard had spoken more with the crowd, about whatever the band and him are going through. Hell, I feel like I've grown up with Tool over the past 11 years, from 16-27, and when I get a chance to see them, it's like revisiting with an old friend. Ah well, maybe he's going for a minimalist feel with as few words as possible. Mayhaps the tight setlist doesn't allow time for extrapolation. 10,000 Days' Tour, despite the subject matter, seems all about Maynard riding an imaginary bronco on stage and crazy alien theatrics, which brings me to ...

3. Rosetta Stoned - I'd love to see Adam's videowork in full, but from the seated area, it was hard, depending on where you were located.
Bring back the two big screens, folks! Nonetheless, the crew with labcoats on was a great idea. The new video really illustrates the song ... with random images of graphs, brains, solar systems and symbols ... all the stuff that our good hero is unable to write down. Stupid pen. My girlfriend and I really enjoyed that, plus the images of some guy stumbling around a road near Area-51. Funny stuff.

From the seats, we couldn't see the laser images that were being projected on stage, either. Glad for you folks in the Lawn.

4. Man on the Roof - Every show I've been to inspires a random audience member to act like a total psychopath. It's usually someone with too much testoserone for their own good, like the skinhead in '98 that was punching random people in the back of the head in the pit ... only to get dropped repeatedly by his victims as he was crowd-surfing later. Clown. This time it was King Kong. He climbed atop the sound stage (right term?) during the middle of "Opiate."

It was really annoying, considering that people started paying more attention to monkey-boy than the band. I was hoping they'd call him out, or maybe even change the lyrics of the song to make fun of him. Maynard's just lazy these days with his ad-libbing. Security nabbed him and handcuffed him, nonetheless. Retard.

5. Overall - We had a good show. It wasn't the best I could have hoped for, but it was tight, well-orchestrated with great vocals from Maynard and spectacular solo ditties on the parts of Justin, Adam and Danny. The encores were sweet, though "Lateralus" set the bar too high in terms of lighting and effects. I felt it was the real climax of the show, with "Aenema" trailing a little bit behind. I feel sad seeing that members of the band are pursuing new interests and lives, even though it is inevitable. These guys are all extremely talented, unlike Keith Richards or other members of the Rolling Stones, who are just good for impregnating hos and acting as receptacles for toxic products. The Stones could literally tour forever, even after they're dead.

But Tool ... shit, they've all got other gigs in mind it seems. And I think it comes through in the shows. And I don't care if I get flamed, but there doesn't seem to be as much passion for the music (or for sending out "a message") in this tour as there was in earlier years. All of us who have been around a while can sense it, even if we care not to admit it.

So, with that, I wish the band the best, and I wish the fans the same. I feel like this is a farewell tour almost ... if not from touring, it is a farewell from making a statement, of the band feeling as if its music can actually change the world, not just make a streak in it. Maynard barely said three words to the crowd, and in a place like The Gorge, with the above-mentioned beautiful elements, it just seems like it's the end of line for Tool. What exactly would inspire them to stray from their sets, to actually absorb what's going on and feed off of it? The show was a beautiful event, but besides one of Danny's solos (which just felt special!), it was like a paint-by-numbers Michelangelo. I didn't feel the intensity that comes from haphazardness and creativity.

Peace.

Last edited by shizaquawn; 08-28-2006 at 12:47 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
Great show.

I was in section A, row 19, which was close, but a shitty view of the light show.

I took a couple pictures of the lighters, I'll try to upload them tomorrow.

Did anyone notice how during the beginning of Jambi, Maynard pointed towards the mountains behind the stage when he sang "Here from the king's mountain view"? I thought that was cool.
Yes, the begining of Jambi was great, totally cool when he did that, definatly post those pics of the lighters, was in row 33, all I saw was light, can't imagine what it looked like from the stage!
Old 08-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

drove from Seattle, got there a bit late after setting up camp (about 9 we were in line for our GA seats (section B, row 35). having to stand in line just to get into GA for a good 20 minutes fubarred any chance of getting to our seats before the boys come out to play. luckily the security folks at the Gorge were total assholes and refused to help my friend and myself find our seats (cuz you know, its pretty easy to find the handwritten numbers on the backs of chairs in the dark). ended up standing at the end of a row until a knobjob of a fuckface security guard came over and told us to scoot. we talked to 3 seperate security folks to try and help us find our row, but since they all elected to be totally useless, we ended up milling around the outskirts of the GA area. i know we should have gotten there earlier, but still, you pay $70 for a specific seat and the people working at the venue refuse to be of any assistance, and in fact do an about-face and act like total pricks. whatever...that'll be my last Gorge show.

my venom-filled rant now complete, the show was incredible. the middle part of Schism was the highlight....Adam breakin' out the whoopin' stick, not to mention Danny going ape-poopey for the same section. The Pot, Rosetta and Opiate were my personal favs...and did anyone else think that they slowed down parts of Jambi a bit? maybe it was just me.

the overall setlist was great. you know they've got quite a few hits that they'll play (Sober/Prison Sex, Aenima, Stinkfist, Schism), the highlights of the newest album, and a treat or 2 thrown in. lucky for us Opiate was our treat...although i was really hoping for some Bottom, Crawl Away, Swamp Song or Undertow. they do a good job of throwing in something from each album. the only one song they did not play that i wanted to see was Eulogy. the one thing i did this time that i did not in the past was i decided not to read any reviews of their current tour, or any of the set-lists. it is nice to be somewhat surprised as opposed to knowing what song is coming next.

...oh yeah, and the y'ak-off's that were blasting their stereo all night in the campground...what the fuck? you go see the greatest band on earth, then listen to Korn and some rap shit all night?!? are you trying to wash the good music out of your head, or what? made no sense to me (on a similar note, if i ever hear Korn's cover of "One" again, i might just stab out my own eardrums with a letter opener.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

one word: insane
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 04:58 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

amazing, beautiful, stunning, breathtaking, humbling, just an awesome experience.

I kept looking around at the show thinking to myself these are my people, my brothers. It was nice to feel this way again, just at ease with myself and excited for the show. How could you not be just amazed and humbled being in the setting we were in, the view itself was breathtaking, the weather was perfect, the atmosphere was overwhelming. This was my first experience at the Gorge and I couldn't have asked for a better first. Isis did an amazing set, a wonderful opening act for TOOL. They just amplified the feeling of gratitude by like a billion. They gave it all up and kept on going in thier sweaty mess. You definatly don't want to miss them.

Watching the sunset as our backdrop to tool, having a cloudless night sky, the stars in our eyes and tool in our ears. For the most of the show I hadn't even noticed anyone else was at the show except for Danny, Adam, Justin, Maynard and me. Every note was played to the movements of my body, and every word was sang straight to me. I was on a totally different planet in another galaxy where music and love rule. and when I finally did open my eyes to the stars and slowly turned to look around me I was in a sea of lighters. I could feel the music in my bones. It was just... moving... perfect. Once the show was over and my feet finally dropped me at our tent I laid there smilling up at the stars. It was beyond any experience I've ever had. Drug induced or sexual. In the distance my ears found the sound of drumming and though my body was too tired to think about moving my soul danced in the shadows while I slept.

This morning in the Gorge I woke up new. I am thankful, I am loving, I am inspired, I am reminded just how precious each moment is. How important it is to just trust yourself and how free you feel when you finally just let go. Spiral Out. <3

and to every member of the TOOL/Isis family... Thank You.

Last edited by pryingopenmybrowneye; 08-28-2006 at 05:12 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

This was my 4th Tool concert. The sound quality/mix was probably the best I've heard yet. The view was spectacular...I'd never been to the gorge before; such a beautiful place to have a concert.

I'm not as big of a fan of the new album as I have been with their previous albums, so I wasn't too excited to hear the new content. I do love Vicarious and Right In Two though, and they played one of those two songs. I wish they would play more songs from the older albums, but the time for that has probably passed by now. The visual effects were cool, but nothing special...I've seen lasers before. I think the video backdrop used during the Lateralus tour was much more interesting.

What sucked: Stupid, hick fans from (most likely) eastern Washington. People were fighting over spaces on the grass when we first got there...so ridiculous. A couple guys next to me decided they would skip out on the designated restroom area and just use the grass to relieve themselves (just as Tool took stage I might add). Shortly after some guy puked in the row below me. Then there was that guy mentioned earlier who thought he'd get some attention by climbing on the PA booth...worst group of fans I've ever encountered at a show. Oh and I love how the biggest/tallest people like to stand in the very front of each row. I'm 6 foot, but I still had some trouble seeing past the behemoth in front of me. Stand in the back, morons, you'll still be able to see over everyone who's not 7 feet tall like you.

It was still a great show, but I had a better time on the Lateralus tour. That's my 2 cents.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

did anyone notice i think it was toward the end of lateralus...maynard was whipping his head around and his glasses flew off and he grabbed his eye as though it was injured and he left the stage for a few minutes while the others went into some free-form jams.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Well everyone pretty much summed it up, it was an amazing show. That was the tightest I have ever heard tool play. I was up on the grassy knoll, with a bunch of the drunkest idiots ever, but it was still amazing. Hearing the songs from the new album put them into a different light, like Rossetta stoned, jesus that song is insane. The slow down of Opiate was cool, although adam got a little lost, and came in early and then got scared and didn't play.
I also liked how Justin changed the sober riff, gave it a different feel and they completely owned that song.
I also liked how they sped up the Schism breakdown, with Justin and his whammy pedal and delay speed set fast, then they broke off and adam was playing it normal speed, it rocked my socks off, literally.

The sea of lighters was really cool, I got some shitty shots with my camera phone, but would love to see some quality pics. Well worth the drive, and I would drive even further to see them again, which it looks like I am going to have to.

Last edited by Choler; 08-28-2006 at 07:52 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

top moments of the night: opiate, the raising of the lights at the beginning of lateralus, the lasers, and number one by far was the sea of lighters... i was down near the front of the seating (amazing view, got to watch each band member working their craft) and when i turned around and i could see everyone all the way up the hill with their lighters it was really something! that would have looked incredible from an airplane or something, just the side of the mountain completely covered in fire in the pitch black.. if someone has pictures of that i'd really like them!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

VAGINA

This was an amazing show and the Gorge was beautiful. Lateralus had to be my personal favorite that Tool played. I got some pics with my disposable camera and they turned out good considering I was not up real close to the stage. Wish I could show them to all of you, but I don't have a scanner. The lighters were amazing and the fireworks at the parking area were a great way to leave the Gorge! During the concert every now and then I would look up at the stars and watch the green lights move above my head. The sound was amazing and strong. It felt like the music was going through my body. The visuals on Rosetta Stoned were awesome and insane. I'm happy that I got to embrace this holy experience with three good friends and everyone who went to the concert.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

My first tool show ever and my first time at the gorge. Born and raised in tacoma, 32 years and been waiting 11 to see tool. I was a bit dissapointed that I was in GA, as I figured seating would provide a better view, but me and my girl were as close to center as possible and right at the fence, so we were close and yet up far enough to get the full experience. Almost had to take out a nutso, stoner, old lady gyrating and stepping on me, but once Tool started, all anger left my body and pleasure prevailed. Only thing I would have done different is camped. I left tacoma at 10am, got there around 1:30 walked around a bit, got into the early entry line around 4 and at the end of the show drove home (got back at 4 am!!). I spent about 80.00 and all I got were 4 beers, a hot dog, 5-6 waters and two cheese pizzas. Wanted to get a shirt, but couldn't justfy 40.00!!! So, all in all, i was very happy and look forward to seeing them again. The gorge is absolutely beautiful as were Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 10:19 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 16th Tool show and while iv'e seen shows with better setlists and overall energy, this one definatly sounded the best...These guys are made to play at the Gorge...Sometimes in the arena shows the sound is muddy and Maynard and Adam get drowned out ... But playing outside just makes everything crystal clear...Iv'e never seen a show before where it was nice and loud and still this clean...I couldnt believe how good Maynards voice souned, especially in Rosetta Stoned. You could decipher every word he was saying in the begining distorted verses. I love the new parts to schism and opiate, nice to see them mixing it up a bit. Schism might have actually been the highlite of the show, (Danny is a Monster!) The 10000 lighters before Lateralus was pretty cool, I'm suprised Maynard didnt comment on how many people smoke weed in WA...Hopefully they will have Wings 1&2 worked out soon, I cant wait for that live experiance!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

i was lucky to get a seat, left side , row 15. great side/middle view. gorge is a great venue, having been up there five or so times. the show was so believable, everything was so on...so many little changes, breakdowns , some cool interlude drum solos, later some synth provided by adam. maynard's effects were amazing.
unbelievable show
Old 08-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy12 View Post
You could decipher every word he was saying in the begining distorted verses. I love the new parts to schism and opiate, nice to see them mixing it up a bit. Schism might have actually been the highlite of the show, (Danny is a Monster!)
really?? i couldn't understand a single word he was saying in the first part besides "e motherfuckin t" but i don't know the words well so that's a problem

i loved the sped up bit in schism, in fact, starting from about halfway through schism, the show just kind of soared to "11" don't you all think? from then on it was just a surreal experience for me!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 11:40 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Definitely the best light/video Tool show I've seen. The stage looked like it was on fire during the end of schism and my jaw just about dropped during lateralus. Tight set, though it kind of felt like a "greatest hits" show at times. When they began schism I got to be honest, i felt like aren't they as sick of playing this song as i am of seeing them play it live. But about midway through they changed up the pace and fucked with the sound and it was like a new experience. Also, a 2-2:15 hour set isn't too much to ask for, is it?? Overall a good show, but 3rd Tool show i've seen in a row that they just seemed bored performing...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 01:28 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Badass show. 4th time and each time they get better and tighter. They Kicked much ass and the white stage set-up was cool. Maynard mentioned something along the lines of the Gorge being the best venue to play at. Anyway, The Pot rocked but the highlight was Lateralus when Maynard sang "spiral out, keep going" and the three huge green discs above the stage spiraled and sent out lightrays over the crowd.

P.S. That gong is loud as shit!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 AM   #30
Level 3 - Talker

This was Tool show #25 for me, and definitely one of the best! The new stage visuals are AWESOME (stop reading if you want to be surprised).

First of all, I now understand why some folks claim the Gorge is the most beautiful venue in the country – it is akin to having a concert on the edge of the Grand Canyon – very pretty.

Shortly after an amazing sunset, Isis played and awesome and punctual set from 8:00 to 8:30 exactly. The first clues of Tool’s new stage show came as the Isis set was being broken down. Black mats were being taken off the stage to reveal a totally white floor, stage and even some of the amps. It was like I woke up in Wonderland! Of note were the 4 foot high screens that lined the entire back of the stage to form a 50 foot wide collection of rear-projected video screens. I noticed later that the video sometimes made these screens act independently (to show the same video on every screen) or in conjunction with others to form bigger screens – sometimes one big wide screen. There was also projection from above down, as was done on the Lateralus stage, but now onto the white stage to give a very bright look. All of the white and bright made everyone, particularly Maynard, more in the spotlight than previous stage setups. Even the stage techs had on white lab coats to keep with the theme. Oh ya, and Justin had on a really cool Jimi Hendrix shirt.

The stage evolved too! For the last few songs, starting with Lateralus, 3 disc screens with lights came down from above and various stings of lights went up from the back of the stage. It was quite a stunning sight to see! Very nice indeed. There were also lasers in use for the end of the show: mostly green lasers but one red and one blue. There were some cool shapes being projected onto the stage floor, and when the smoke wasn’t clearing too fast you could see the effects in the air as well. But in my opinion, the lasers added very little – it was all in the video and lights for me (from a visual perspective).

Now that I’ve commented at length on the visuals, I have to say that it is the sound and watching these fine musicians that usually is the most important thing to me by far. I was very pleased in this way too! A few of the songs were performed better and with more emotion (to me) than any of the other shows I’ve seen (or my memory is fading). Certainly this was the best of the 3 shows I’ve seen this year (Coachella and Fresno being the others). The sound quality of the amphitheater was excellent! We were in the reserved seats.

Some great surprises for me: I love the song Opiate, especially live, and hearing it last night brought me to a place I haven’t felt at a show for a while. Fucking awesome! The added keyboard bit was very cool too!

I have said in the past that Schism is a great piece of work that I don’t appreciate as much as other folks tend to. That was not the case tonight. In the middle part they did an extended double time bit where Adam and Justin came together to get it right. Fun to watch and hear.

Rosetta Stoned was fucking incredible and, to me, a totally different experience from the Fresno show. Not only was the sound much better, but it really seemed like the band was on and into it. Maynard left the stage for the Lost Keys part, and when he came back on armed with his megaphone and doing his fast-speak gibberish, he was wondering around the stage picking stuff up and cleaning the stage! He spent the first two minutes of the song making sure that stage was spic and span. It seemed like he was in character, or perhaps he was just being anal. But my buddy and I looked at each other and laughed at this spectacle. I love to watch Danny shred the shit out of his drum kit, it blows me away every show.

There were a few other places where new keyboard was added – sometimes played by Adam (using a keyboard or foot pedals) and sometimes by Maynard. Danny too does keyboard stuff now and again, but this is all stuff from the album.

My only complaint was the awful line to get to the parking lot and the worse line to get out – it took us over an hour, sucking exhaust the whole time. A small price to pay, I suppose.

What a great show, glad I’m going to see them 3 more times in the next 2 weeks ☺
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 AM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

most has already been said, but i will say i thought the show was awesome. opiate i thought was their best song of the night. what stood out to me was the general disposition of the band, particularly maynard. i saw them at the paramount when they were with king crimson and they definately had a different attitude at that show. for lack of a better cliche, at the paramount they seemed rather standoffish and "inspired". but on sunday night they just looked like they were having a fun time. it was especially evident towards the end when they were hugging and thanking the crowd.

maynard's quotes were also fantastic. i am surprised no one has mentioned my favorite of the night: "wake up you drunk bitches" (if someone already had, my bad).

it also seems very apparent that the musical selections, including the extended version of stinkfist and schism and the mini merkaba, feature danny more than they have in the past? i am by no means complaining, but i wonder if it's done on purpose.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 6th TOOL show and this music live keeps evolving to sounds so powerfull it is hard to show it in words. I was in the 27th row in section C and the sound produced at the Gorge ruins a concert at any other venue in the pacific northwest... I am well aware of the Wings 1 & 2 not being played so far and I was hoping for that to be played.... I knew we were in for the same exact setlist once they busted into stinkfist at the beggining just like they have played ever since Coachella this year... if you heard someone screaming the names of the songs before they were about to be played like Jambi, Schism and Rossetta then you heard me... I am pretty sure I got the attention of Maynard and Adam when doing this... I thought for sure they would attempt to try and mix it up because of that but i was dreaming in wonderland...

This is the truth: I have some good friends who own the Slushi stands at the Gorge and another good friend who works with them almost every Gorge show.. There is a lower Stand and an upper stand.. The lower stand while working there you can see the stage pretty good... They would not allow ANYONE, not even security down below durring the sound check.. So my good friend had to stay up at the upper stand durring the playing of Wings 1 & 2, they also played stinkfist 3 times, and i had previously warned him that there was a strong possibility that they would play Wings at the soundcheck.. so he took advantage to that, bringing in a top of the line recording device... Yes I got the copy of it yesterday from him and it is far beyond anything you can hope for on this song.... ITS time NOW, My Time NOW, give me MY, GIVE me MY COPY OF WINGS!.....
:-)

I am always wishing they would play older stuff but I do think the fans who got to see them back on the Aenima tour and prior to that are the only ones that can say they heard the best of the best, dont get me wrong, i love the new stuff more then life, but when they busted into sweat the first time i saw in them in 98' at the mercer arena on august 23rd will be something i never forget, and ending with flood is just a good solid life changing memory...

Jason
West Seattle
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 09:04 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

I have seen Tool live only 3 times; living in Eastern Washington (Spokane, to be exact) makes it hard to get tickets and get to Seattle when they play there. On their last tour they actually played in Spokane-- at the time I worked Graveyard and had heard nothing about it until I woke up one afternoon to find the tickets next to me on my pillow. Anyway, the first time I saw them was at the Gorge for Lollapalooza. If I remember correctly, The Prodigy was supposed to play their last night on the tour at the Gorge, but left the tour one day early. Anyway, Tool played seemingly forever, and the ambience of the setting, the huge crowd, and the awesomeness of Tool's music and presentation are something I thought would never be topped. Until Sunday, the 27th of August, 2006, anyway.

I had no illusions that Tool would play in Spokane again; last time here our 11,000 seat arena didn't sell out, among other things. So when I heard that they would play the Gorge, and when, I was instantly excited at the possibility of seeing them again, and terrified at all of the obstacles life puts in the way of someone who is 36,married with three kids, and works six days a week, every week. But the stars aligned for me, in strange ways. My father, who was 88 years old and living with us, passed away in late June. Why is this a good thing? He was at the point where he could not hear, see, or really understand much of what was going on around him, and therefore couldn't be left alone for more than an hour or two. (Which is one reason my wife and I worked opposite shifts) The other major recent event in my life is that my son was born on July 12th. I purchased tickets for the show before he was born, but any sort of complication, separation anxiety, etc. would have left me to either go to the show alone (my wife struggled with leaving her newborn behind for that long up until the moment we left for the concert, even though her mother was watching the kids at our house and is quite capable) or give my wife's ticket to someone else. Without going into great detail, going to the concert without her would have almost wrecked the experience for me; we saw them together both of the other shows I've seen, etc. But it all worked out, and I am still stunned.

The venue is indescribable; if you even see pictures, it cannont reproduce what it is like to be there. When the lights went out and the band walked on stage, the crowd screamed so loud I think the stars shook. Then Maynard said "oh, yeah? Well Blah, Blah Blah..." and then Tool tore our asses out. I have read disappointments with the setlist; with the the bands attitude, etc., and all I can say is... Tool has grown up, some of their fans need to, as well. They seemed happy, played amazingly, and it was an amazing show. The lighters, Maynards comments to the crowd "Hi, we're TOOL. From LA, Tool...the Gorge, Gorge, Tool..." the whole "Wake up, you drunk Bitches" line, and his comment about the venue "You couldn't ask for a better view... in the middle of a vineyard, no less." All added to an amazing experience that I will treasure for.... however long it takes until I see them live again. And although my wife cried when we left our newborn behind to go to the show, by the end of the show she was crying for an altogether different reason.

Today is our wedding anniversay, so I need to have some flowers sent to her....

Our son's name is Mason. She wouldn't go for Maynard (She wanted his first name to start with an "M" for family reasons, so it was worth a shot...), she said "With a name like Maynard, unless you're famous you're fucked"
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

All I can say is WOW!!!!! what a great show this was my 4th show and it was the best one yet, the visuals were amazing the intermission between Isis and Tool was Awsome this is one show I know i will never ever forget thanks to the crowd and Tool for such an awsome experiance.

PS does anyone have any pictures of this show?

Last edited by teetdogs; 08-29-2006 at 10:50 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

wow first tool show and best show ever. must i say i have a new found respect for them
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

my 17th TOOL show and this is in my top 3 for sure, i wont get into the setlist topic really though after the posts by blair saying it was going to be different got me excited but it was still a great show. i think the lasers dont need to be in the show but i did like how lit up the stage was.

i traded my GA ticket for a seat tik in sect B row 37 and it was bad ass, great view the whole time.

the change up on opiate was really nice and great sober intro.

cant wait to see a different setlist maybe in 2007, see ya then
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 12:22 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

And the lighters

Awesome, awesome. May be the best show I will ever see. Don't ever miss Tool at the George. Seats do miss visual things, but no seat is kinda far away (can't see facial expressions). We were at left - center right above the seats, and we could see and hear everything perfectly, so that does change from location to location. They were right on too, Maynard sounded very great, as did everyone, not only with sound engineering, but their abilities too. Good crowd.

The lighters were like nothing I have ever seen. Encore! Also, you people know there is plenty of free camping right? Instead of the $40 a night?
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well I went to the Vancouver, and the Gorge show.

I have to say That they were both pretty amazing experiences. In Vancouver, I was front row centre, and so I opted for general admission at the Gorge to get a better overview.

I almost couldn't imagine not having seen it from both views. You miss alot of the visuals from front row, but you get a great view of the band, and see alot of detail.

Overall it added up to an amazing experinece. The gorge was beautiful (this is my first concert at the gorge), and the sound is amazing there. Outdoor events are always strange, becuase you can't really tell how loud the fans are screaming if you're behind them all -- in a stadium it echos (kills your ears), but you really get the full effect from everywhere. No ringing ears from the gorge. +1 point.

Maynard ran off stage for a bit, over a rooftop no-less (looked like he almost bailed half way accross) -- i'm not sure what that was about. All I know is that intermission was not a part of the Vancouver show.

Also, during the vancouver show, he did not run around hiding behind the drum sets during rosetta stoned. That was a little strange. Just beofre that someone had tossed a hat onto the stage, which Maynard tossed back into the audience. I'm wondering if he wasn't ducking / hiding, or pretending to hide from (real or imaginary) shit being thrown onto the stage.

Maybe we'll never know.

I hate the stupid asshole on the roof of the sound pit -- he nearly took one of the security guards over the side with him after they finally got him down. I was scared shitless that someone who didn't deserve it was going to fall and break themselves. Stupid jerk.

Seeing Opiate live itself was worth the drive. Although, Right in Two was amazing live... it's a toss up -- I would rather he just play both :P Then again, I can't think of a tool song that I would NOT like to hear live.

People are complaining about the traffic, and yes it did suck -- but honestly I think they did a really good job of parking everyone. I can't imagine having to organize a bunch of assho... I mean people like me into a field in an orderly fashion. We exited the highway at about 7, and were parked by 7:45. Not TOO bad considering the number of people who were showing up at that time.

p.s. To the person driving the red Malibu. F*&% You. You know who you are and why. lol.

At the end... well we were out in 25 minutes so I really can't complain about the traffic at the end. I was caught in worse traffic for almost the same amount of time in downtown Vancouver at the GM Place concert last week.

Unfortunately, some of the laser / lighting effects lost their thunder in the outdoor venue. At the stadium, (some of) the same laser show that was on the floor of the stage was copied onto the roof of the stadium.

Also, during Vicarious there was a really killer laser effect in vancouver which from the front row made the band look like they were inside a cage. I'm not sure if that was lost due to my angle at the gorge, or to the venue -- did anyone with floor seats see this effect?

Overall a great experinece. Well worth the 5 hour drive from Vancouver. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

DT
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

It was a little frog! Maynard was trying to pick up a frog during Rosetta Stoned. He eventually caught him and released him at the back of the stage. I was so close I still can't hear. Great show. Everyone has covered how I feel. I don't care to see the lazer show, I wanted to see the band members up close. Amazing!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Hehe... a frog huh? I saw him leave his platform and walk around like he was picking things up, then walk back towards his platform like he had collected several small things cupped in his hand, but even from my ninth row seat I couldn't tell exactly what. Pretty funny.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: