Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
Ancalagon
04-19-2006, 08:54 AM

10,000 Days is a monstrous album-- not in the same sense that Lateralus or Aenima was, though. It isn't epic, nor is it balls-out rock, nor is it gargantuan in its message. It is neither bleakly angry ("Undertow") or angry with nuance ("Aenima"). It is not transcendently humanistic, either ("Lateralus"). It is an entirely different monster, one that doesn't seem to fit together to form an overarching mood, but one whose individual soundscapes are amazing. Here's the song by song review; numbers are by normal standards, not Tool standards. For comparison, I considered Aenima and Lateralus to be 10/10 albums and Undertow to be an 8/10 album. I also should not pass judgment after having only listened a little bit, but I am going to try:

VICARIOUS- I really, really like this song after a lot of listens, but it took me a while to get into. It sounds "poppy" or "nu-metalish" to some precisely because it doesn't have that epic feeling of self-importance that was so latent on Lateralus. It is still musically intense and very well executed. 9/10

JAMBI- An intense death-metal groove opens this song, but the melodic quality of Maynard's voice and the minimalism of the approach creates a very restrained feeling. At a few points the buildup seems like it is going to burst, but it never does. I thoroughly enjoyed this song, and it made me feel as if this album might be another epic Tool album. How I was to be disappointed .... or maybe relieved. 8/10

WINGS FOR MARIE- This song built anticipation and feeling. I could tell Tool was really going somewhere, but I almost feel as if the following track stands alone without “Wings For Marie.” Great song, however. 8/10

10,000 DAYS (WINGS PART 2)- Best. Tool. Song. Ever. OK, maybe not quite; it isn't "Toolish" at all; it's more like ... Pink Floyd, maybe? Shimmering guitars and brilliant soundscapes (much preferable on headphones because you can hear Maynard's voice) remind the listener of A Perfect Circle, but when the rhythm section (Tool's strong-point) kicks in you are reminded why Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor make all of Tool's work kick the shit out of APC. The "Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough; you're going home" and "GIVE ME MY! GIVE ME MY WINGS!" parts are the most chilling in any Tool song ever. The song mellows out after that, but the emotional high is un-fucking-believable. My feeling after first reaching this track was that this would be the best Tool album ever. 10/10. Then something changed.

THE POT- OK, after a few listens, I really like this song. It grooves like classic rock, almost like Zeppelin without the guitar virtuosity and with Maynard approaching Robert Plant in femininity. But it really takes you out of that … place … you go in 10,000 Days. It’s like being taken out from the depths of emotion and placed in some half-crazy 70’s groove … except with Tool’s rhythm section, it can’t be anything but dark. It gives the feeling of literal insanity, I think, like the band’s musical direction has expanded beyond their own abilities. Lyrically, it is just hard to take seriously after 10,000 Days. I love the song for itself, but within the context (I thought on my first listen) it is entirely inappropriate. 8/10.

LIPAN CONJURING- It’s funny, I guess. I am now beginning to realize this is not the typically epic Tool album. Unlike Aenima, which moved seamlessly between epically awesome and joking ridiculous, this album flows in a strange order. It’s like BIG SONG, BIG SONG, BIG SONG, BIG SONG, joke song, segue, segue, joke song, soft song, GREAT SONG, nothing song … whereas Aenima was BIG SONG, BIG SONG, BIG SONG, segue, BIG SONG, segue, ANGRY TOOL SONG, segue, BIG SONG, segue, BIG SONG, segue, BIG SONG, segue, BIG CLIMAX SONG. See the flow in Aenima’s structure and the utter chaos of 10,000 Days? I never thought I’d call Aenima a “more structured” album than something, but there I just did it.
That rant had nothing to do with the content of Lipan Conjuring, because that’s what that song does. It takes you out of a mood. 4/10.

LOST KEYS (BLAME HOFFMAN)- This track is fun musically, but the whole LSD patient skit seems weird. 6/10. It is really just a segue into …

ROSETTA STONED- This seems to be the point of contention for people on this album. This track is utterly insane, epic and heavy musically beyond anything Third Eye, The Grudge, Stinkfist, or Eulogy attempted but ridiculous and nonsensical lyrically. It is just a parody of Tool and their fans, I think, with a Faiip de Oiaad type urgency. But in a song this musically challenging? Maynard, what the fuck?!?! 5/10.

INTENSION- This song was ok, almost Radiohead-ish but not as hauntingly executed. This song is pretty good, definitely unfamiliar territory for Tool (despite Tool-ish structures). 7/10.

RIGHT IN TWO- Great song, really brought me back around to Tool’s excellence. Different subject matter than we might be used to, ALMOST political but also condemning of the human race. I guess now is a good time to discuss Maynard’s increasingly mature view on religion, humanity, and life (which seems so out of place in such an … insane album). Maynard, in deference and respect to his mother most likely, seems to have adopted an accepting attitude toward religion. Obviously he hasn’t “found Jesus,” but he certainly shows love and respect for his mother, even sentimental wishing for her to be in a better place. “Right In Two” contains many references to “the Father” in a halfway apologetic way. It’s almost as if Maynard has accepted that, yes, he was right about religion, but he shouldn’t have been such an immature asshole about it. This will be very hard for many Tool fans to accept but perfectly understandable, even emotionally compelling, to unbelievers with loved ones who believe. 10/10.

VIGINTI TRES- My first impression was that this track was worthless. Honestly, I guess it’s ok, but compared to past Tool album-closers I am disappointed. Very haunting and spacey. 4/10.

Conclusions: There are some amazing songs on this album. It is just incredibly difficult to digest as an entire body of work, especially considering the conjoined nature of Lateralus and Aenima. Some of these songs will be sick live, and Tool has certainly not lost their ability or their freshness. This is an entirely new monster; these guys are definite musical geniuses, but I question their sanity on this record’s structure and theme. I highly recommend it, but at the same time caution people with inflated expectations.

8/10? Time will tell!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
MY REVIEW (if anyone cares)

10,000 Days is a monstrous album-- not in the same sense that Lateralus or Aenima was, though. It isn't epic, nor is it balls-out rock, nor is it gargantuan in its message. It is neither bleakly angry ("Undertow") or angry with nuance ("Aenima"). It is not transcendently humanistic, either ("Lateralus"). It is an entirely different monster, one that doesn't seem to fit together to form an overarching mood, but one whose individual soundscapes are amazing. Here's the song by song review; numbers are by normal standards, not Tool standards. For comparison, I considered Aenima and Lateralus to be 10/10 albums and Undertow to be an 8/10 album. I also should not pass judgment after having only listened a little bit, but I am going to try:

VICARIOUS- I really, really like this song after a lot of listens, but it took me a while to get into. It sounds "poppy" or "nu-metalish" to some precisely because it doesn't have that epic feeling of self-importance that was so latent on Lateralus. It is still musically intense and very well executed. 9/10

JAMBI- An intense death-metal groove opens this song, but the melodic quality of Maynard's voice and the minimalism of the approach creates a very restrained feeling. At a few points the buildup seems like it is going to burst, but it never does. I thoroughly enjoyed this song, and it made me feel as if this album might be another epic Tool album. How I was to be disappointed .... or maybe relieved. 8/10

WINGS FOR MARIE- This song built anticipation and feeling. I could tell Tool was really going somewhere, but I almost feel as if the following track stands alone without “Wings For Marie.” Great song, however. 8/10

10,000 DAYS (WINGS PART 2)- Best. Tool. Song. Ever. OK, maybe not quite; it isn't "Toolish" at all; it's more like ... Pink Floyd, maybe? Shimmering guitars and brilliant soundscapes (much preferable on headphones because you can hear Maynard's voice) remind the listener of A Perfect Circle, but when the rhythm section (Tool's strong-point) kicks in you are reminded why Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor make all of Tool's work kick the shit out of APC. The "Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough; you're going home" and "GIVE ME MY! GIVE ME MY WINGS!" parts are the most chilling in any Tool song ever. The song mellows out after that, but the emotional high is un-fucking-believable. My feeling after first reaching this track was that this would be the best Tool album ever. 10/10. Then something changed.

THE POT- OK, after a few listens, I really like this song. It grooves like classic rock, almost like Zeppelin without the guitar virtuosity and with Maynard approaching Robert Plant in femininity. But it really takes you out of that … place … you go in 10,000 Days. It’s like being taken out from the depths of emotion and placed in some half-crazy 70’s groove … except with Tool’s rhythm section, it can’t be anything but dark. It gives the feeling of literal insanity, I think, like the band’s musical direction has expanded beyond their own abilities. Lyrically, it is just hard to take seriously after 10,000 Days. I love the song for itself, but within the context (I thought on my first listen) it is entirely inappropriate. 8/10.

LIPAN CONJURING- It’s funny, I guess. I am now beginning to realize this is not the typically epic Tool album. Unlike Aenima, which moved seamlessly between epically awesome and joking ridiculous, this album flows in a strange order. It’s like BIG SONG, BIG SONG, BIG SONG, BIG SONG, joke song, segue, segue, joke song, soft song, GREAT SONG, nothing song … whereas Aenima was BIG SONG, BIG SONG, BIG SONG, segue, BIG SONG, segue, ANGRY TOOL SONG, segue, BIG SONG, segue, BIG SONG, segue, BIG SONG, segue, BIG CLIMAX SONG. See the flow in Aenima’s structure and the utter chaos of 10,000 Days? I never thought I’d call Aenima a “more structured” album than something, but there I just did it.
That rant had nothing to do with the content of Lipan Conjuring, because that’s what that song does. It takes you out of a mood. 4/10.

LOST KEYS (BLAME HOFFMAN)- This track is fun musically, but the whole LSD patient skit seems weird. 6/10. It is really just a segue into …

ROSETTA STONED- This seems to be the point of contention for people on this album. This track is utterly insane, epic and heavy musically beyond anything Third Eye, The Grudge, Stinkfist, or Eulogy attempted but ridiculous and nonsensical lyrically. It is just a parody of Tool and their fans, I think, with a Faiip de Oiaad type urgency. But in a song this musically challenging? Maynard, what the fuck?!?! 5/10.

INTENSION- This song was ok, almost Radiohead-ish but not as hauntingly executed. This song is pretty good, definitely unfamiliar territory for Tool (despite Tool-ish structures). 7/10.

RIGHT IN TWO- Great song, really brought me back around to Tool’s excellence. Different subject matter than we might be used to, ALMOST political but also condemning of the human race. I guess now is a good time to discuss Maynard’s increasingly mature view on religion, humanity, and life (which seems so out of place in such an … insane album). Maynard, in deference and respect to his mother most likely, seems to have adopted an accepting attitude toward religion. Obviously he hasn’t “found Jesus,” but he certainly shows love and respect for his mother, even sentimental wishing for her to be in a better place. “Right In Two” contains many references to “the Father” in a halfway apologetic way. It’s almost as if Maynard has accepted that, yes, he was right about religion, but he shouldn’t have been such an immature asshole about it. This will be very hard for many Tool fans to accept but perfectly understandable, even emotionally compelling, to unbelievers with loved ones who believe. 10/10.

VIGINTI TRES- My first impression was that this track was worthless. Honestly, I guess it’s ok, but compared to past Tool album-closers I am disappointed. Very haunting and spacey. 4/10.

Conclusions: There are some amazing songs on this album. It is just incredibly difficult to digest as an entire body of work, especially considering the conjoined nature of Lateralus and Aenima. Some of these songs will be sick live, and Tool has certainly not lost their ability or their freshness. This is an entirely new monster; these guys are definite musical geniuses, but I question their sanity on this record’s structure and theme. I highly recommend it, but at the same time caution people with inflated expectations.

8/10? Time will tell!
OFFLINE |  
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
04-19-2006, 08:57 AM

Pretty good review. I agree with many of your points, though I find Vicarious to fit up there with 10,000 days and right in two
Old 04-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202
Re: MY REVIEW (if anyone cares)

Pretty good review. I agree with many of your points, though I find Vicarious to fit up there with 10,000 days and right in two
Madrid's Avatar Madrid
04-19-2006, 10:01 AM

ROSETTA STONED 5/10?

Nah, 10/10.

Try again.
http://galleryofpeanuts.blogspot.com
Old 04-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

ROSETTA STONED 5/10?

Nah, 10/10.

Try again.
http://galleryofpeanuts.blogspot.com
OFFLINE |  
otb's Avatar otb
04-19-2006, 10:16 AM

I also find Rosetta Stoned to be the biggest disapointment on this album. It suffers from too many ideas put into it, it lacks the passion that I see in most of Tool songs, and thus it's boring.

Now I'm off to listen to The Pot, musta been high!
Old 04-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
otb
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I also find Rosetta Stoned to be the biggest disapointment on this album. It suffers from too many ideas put into it, it lacks the passion that I see in most of Tool songs, and thus it's boring.

Now I'm off to listen to The Pot, musta been high!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply