opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Old 07-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701
Tour complaints -- brokers, scalping, etc. (merged)

So whats the deal with brokers already selling tickets for shows that havent gone on sale yet?

http://www.ticketliquidator.com/tix/...x?evtid=383078

This broker is selling approx. 40-50 tickets (good seats too) to a show that hasnt gone on sale yet!!! Whats up with that?

Last edited by kanaduh; 02-21-2014 at 11:02 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Banned.

Brokers selling tix.,....

to shows that havent yet go on sale?!~?!?

So whats the deal with brokers already selling tickets for shows that havent gone on sale yet?

For example, Camden, NJ:

This broker is selling approx. 40-50 tickets (good seats too) to a show that hasnt gone on sale yet!!! Whats up with that?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Suicide Booth ID: 1

Bincount™: 16707
Re: Brokers selling tix.,....

tell the toolband website
Old 07-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/28 - Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyisevil

i'm no expert on this sort of thing... but from what i gather... ticketmaster sets aside blocks of some of the best seats in the house for brokers. the brokers pay a premium price for the tickets and then resell them at a higher cost depending on the demand. i'm clueless as to how this is in fact legal... considering that some of these tickets can easily get into the thousands of dollars for a pair... well over what you'd pay through ticketmaster.
i don't know... but it just doesn't seem legal to me... maybe someone here has a bit more insight on how this system has been set up.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Banned.

i think its quite sad and fucked up that no one cares
Old 07-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #6

i emailed it to blair
Old 07-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Banned.

i emailed it to everyone on toolarmy and toolband, but to note THIS IS NOT THE ONLY WEBSITE that is selling tickets for TOUR DATES not yet onsale to the public...its funny how people on this website care about stupid and lame shit, but dont give a fuck about this kinda shit
Old 07-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #8

here in ny, it has been this way forever. i learned this pretty early and figure out ways around it. i show up way early to ticketmaster or (prefferably) the venues box office. if i fail. then i keep checking with the venue or ticketmaster for released tickets. it sucks, i know. but it is rare for me not to be able to get face value tickets. i never rely on ticket sales through the internet or telephone.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
On Probation

Bincount™: 54

the brokers are garaunteed a certain # of tix,so they can sell them in advance,kinda like preordering an album.I think I'm gonna look into this ticket brokering thing.Hell you could sell them for way less than those ticket firms do and still come out good,plus you'd always have the best tickets and you could hook up people close to you.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1439

They just know that they're gonna be able to buy certain numbers of tix because they have so many people working for them.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Bincount™: 832

Nothing you can do.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
Banned.

so as i said i sent an email to everyone i could at TA and Toolband including the band, and then each individual member...maynard surprisingly returned my email here it is:

On Jul 16, 2006, at 3:37 PM, [email protected] wrote:

already for Camden NJ, whose tickets havent go onsale to the public yet, and there have somewhere around 40-50 tickets already set aside!!

what the fuck!!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
mjk
<[email protected]> to me
More options 7:03 pm(1 hour ago)
yep.
and there are about 10, 000 other tickets for sale.
so buy those and don't worry about the other 50 or 100 or 200. whatever.

www.caduceus.org

-----

kinda confused by his reply, as i cant tell if hes telling me to support the brokers and but theirs, or just buy the tickets from ticketmonster instead and not worry about the brokers....i think its funny he also plugged his wine website

Last edited by moneyisevil; 07-16-2006 at 04:49 PM..
Old 07-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #13
Banned.

so as i said i sent an email to everyone i could at TA and Toolband including the band, and then each individual member...maynard surprisingly returned my email here it is:

already for Camden NJ, whose tickets havent go onsale to the public yet, and there have somewhere around 40-50 tickets already set aside!!

what the fuck!!!!!!!

mjk
yep.

www.caduceus.org

-----

kinda confused by his reply, as i cant tell if hes telling me to support the brokers and but theirs, or just buy the tickets from ticketmonster instead and not worry about the brokers....i think its funny he also plugged his wine website
Old 07-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Quote:

what the fuck!!!!!!!

mjk
yep.

www.caduceus.org

-----

Thats awesome that he replied man.. He's saying buy the ones from ticketmaster outlets. He's saying theres about 10,000 for sale at ticketmaster outlets or online and dont worry about the 200 or so tickets from the brokers.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:47 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 26

When the hell will tickets go on sale anyway?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #16
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady
Thats awesome that he replied man.. He's saying buy the ones from ticketmaster outlets. He's saying theres about 10,000 for sale at ticketmaster outlets or online and dont worry about the 200 or so tickets from the brokers.
yeah but i thought he'd be more outraged, i guess he really doesnt care :(

but it sucks that even though that one site is only selling 50 tickets, there are probably anywhere from 50-100 brokers doing the same thing which could possibly mean 5,000 people are gonna get fucked

if i am one of those 5,000 people, mjk you are gonna get an angry email!!!!!!

and no one knows when tickets go onsale for the camden show, but you can visit the site i mentioned in my first post and buy some good tickets for a crazy price
Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #17
CCD
If nothing is everything I've got it all (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 5332

His off-handed reply makes me think that the band management is providing these tickets to the brokers. Perhaps they reserve a block of tickets for brokers to make additional money off of the show. Maybe they get a percentage of whatever the brokers can get for the tickets. It wouldn't surprise me.
Let us now, as Futurists, enter one of these hospitals for anaemic sounds. There: the first bar brings the boredom of familiarity to your ear and anticipates the boredom of the bar to follow. Let us relish, from bar to bar, two or three varieties of genuine boredom, waiting all the while for the extraordinary sensation that never comes.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #18
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 51

that's a funny fucking email reply...

and I don't think that people don't care, it's just like anything else that's fucked up and beyond your control: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. relax. Don't support the scalpers. Don't give them your money. Don't allow them to look you in the eye. Don't permit them to walk past you down any street without spitting on them. Maybe focus your energy on things that you can change. There are far worse things that people do for money.

www.bloodwhoreluxeryitemsforsale.com
Old 07-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #19
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
His off-handed reply makes me think that the band management is providing these tickets to the brokers. Perhaps they reserve a block of tickets for brokers to make additional money off of the show. Maybe they get a percentage of whatever the brokers can get for the tickets. It wouldn't surprise me.

yeah either that, or he really thinks that because their is "10,000" tickets available then every fan is bound to get one....well as of right now this is the only show for philly, nyc, ny, and ct....so im sure this is gonna be a bitch to get tickets to
Old 07-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #20
Flying in the wind (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1282

Oakland is on that site as well... funny though they are shitty seats.

TDN is for entertainment purposes ONLY.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #21
Banned.

but they are still seats....
Old 07-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #22
CCD

Quote:
yeah either that, or he really thinks that because their is "10,000" tickets available then every fan is bound to get one....well as of right now this is the only show for philly, nyc, ny, and ct....so im sure this is gonna be a bitch to get tickets to
Well, they don't sell out every show. I remember on the last tour (in Minnesota?) that a few shows got cancelled due to poor ticket sales. I went to see them in Vegas, and there were pretty significant parts of the Thomas and Mack Center that were covered with the black drapes that they put up when entire sections are empty......
Let us now, as Futurists, enter one of these hospitals for anaemic sounds. There: the first bar brings the boredom of familiarity to your ear and anticipates the boredom of the bar to follow. Let us relish, from bar to bar, two or three varieties of genuine boredom, waiting all the while for the extraordinary sensation that never comes.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #23
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Well, they don't sell out every show. I remember on the last tour (in Minnesota?) that a few shows got cancelled due to poor ticket sales. I went to see them in Vegas, and there were pretty significant parts of the Thomas and Mack Center that were covered with the black drapes that they put up when entire sections are empty......
yeah but thats NEVER the case in NY or the surrounding areas....i mean its tough enough to ge ttix to NYC shows cuz everyone from philly area/NJ/CT/even baltimore
are trying to get tix

so imagine lets say the arena holds 20,000 people, there are going to be atleast 40-50,000 (im probably underestamating) trying to get tix

i mean im not really bitching, im just saying that 5,000 extra seats are 5,000 extra seats in a scenario like this
Old 07-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Anyone notice how there seems to be two shows at Camden. If you shop around the ticket brokers, there are tickets with a time that is TBA, and also tickets for a show that starts at 12:00 AM. What's the deal with that... I can't get a read on it... is it some kind of cool tool thing or just a mistake...
Old 07-16-2006, 07:20 PM   #25
On Probation

Bincount™: 2489

maybe email him back and say 'give me tickets fo free' haha j/k

I think he was saying buy them from ticketmaster
Old 07-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 25

I'm guessing a mistake...Screw the ticket brokers and just be patient...Tickets haven't even gone on sale yet and brokers are selling lawn seats for $100..Ridiculous....You can get lawn seats or any other seats for that matter when they are sold on Ticketmaster...Hell, I got Orchestra seats for the City Center show on the day of the show!

I think Ticketmaster just releases different tickets at different times...I typed in a request for Illinois tickets today cause I wanted to see how tickets were selling so I can determine how they would be when these came out, and I got floor seats!

So just be patient...Everyone who really wants to go, will get to go

<3 Armando
Old 07-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #27
Banned.

zlerf, the car i bought has a bumper stick that has ur signature written on it with a dragon....never bothered to take it off

anyways, yeah it seems like he doesnt really care
Old 07-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #28

10,000 tickets!!! ZOMFG!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #29
On Probation

Bincount™: 2489

Quote:
zlerf, the car i bought has a bumper stick that has ur signature written on it with a dragon....never bothered to take it off

anyways, yeah it seems like he doesnt really care

hahah that awesome. I don't know, listing to some of the bootlegs from the last tour it seems at some shows he was really feeling the music, and at others he was like 'oh well here we go again' Maybe he isn;t getting ass enough (i'd cure that for him, then sneak off without breakfast)? I doubt many people get a reply from him, so maybe he does care. Just not enough to lose the ego.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #30
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Not sure about other venues, but two venues I can think of locally, the Hollywood Bowl and the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, have subscription seats where the buyer gets tickets or at least rights to purchase tickets for ALL events. There is a good chance that the broker in question either a) owns the subscription to the seats and then re-sells at a premium, or b) purchases the seats from the subscriber through a third party and then re-sells them. I used to work for a ticket broker making deliveries and that's how it was explained to me.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #31
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossaricat
10,000 tickets!!! ZOMFG!!!

yeah i didnt think of that lol
Old 07-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #32
CCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11
Not sure about other venues, but two venues I can think of locally, the Hollywood Bowl and the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, have subscription seats where the buyer gets tickets or at least rights to purchase tickets for ALL events. There is a good chance that the broker in question either a) owns the subscription to the seats and then re-sells at a premium, or b) purchases the seats from the subscriber through a third party and then re-sells them. I used to work for a ticket broker making deliveries and that's how it was explained to me.
would have been nice if Maynard had pulled the corncob out of his pussy and explained this like you do (I have little doubt that he knows the business well enough to know this.)
Old 07-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #33
Banned.

he was just probably looking at porn and happened to check his email immieo

edit: cuz thats what i was doing
Old 07-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #34
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
he was just probably looking at porn and happened to check his email immieo

edit: cuz thats what i was doing
Ditto!

But then I am not Maynard eh? At least, last time I looked. I doubt he knows much about it. Just the fact he responded is cool.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #35
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

It happens to every band. The band has no choice in the matter.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #36
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

I saw some for $125 on the green, GA for Denver... big deal. GA green will still be there after they go on sale, but if people want to pay that price to secure a ticket, whatever.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #37
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_wh0re
I don't think that people don't care, it's just like anything else that's fucked up and beyond your control: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.
See, that's the thing. It's not beyond their control. I really don't think they give a shit, and I think Maynard's response confirms that.

Tool is at a level of stardom where they can basically give their fans a big "fuck you" and they will still hit the top of the charts and sell out shows. They are famous enough now to rely solely on band loyalty to keep the money rolling in.

Tom Waits' tour next month, for example. His shows sell out right quick (he's actually playing here in Chicago the same place I saw Tool at), but the shows are Will Call, which means that only people actually buying the tickets will get in. Meaning no scalping.

These are simple measures to take to protect your fans from getting screwed over price, and so I reiterate: Tool doesn't care about their fans. Not that I care, I got into the last show for free and I ain't going to this one. I just wish to correct the view that it's "beyond their control."
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 07-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #38
Banned.

i agree ^ they have some sort of control
Old 07-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #39
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane
I really don't think they give a shit, and I think Maynard's response confirms that.

Tool is at a level of stardom where they can basically give their fans a big "fuck you" and they will still hit the top of the charts and sell out shows. They are famous enough now to rely solely on band loyalty to keep the money rolling in.

the shows are Will Call, which means that only people actually buying the tickets will get in. Meaning no scalping.

These are simple measures to take to protect your fans from getting screwed over price, and so I reiterate: Tool doesn't care about their fans.
LMFAO

Please, they dont sell out all arena shows. ask money he's been to more arena tool shows then i have. the one i went to was not sold out. You think thats a simple measure the will call thing? Ask pearl jam. They were so against ticketmaster that they quit using it and guess what? They went back to it. Tool are not that famous. They are the most known unknown.

Jesus christ.

BOOO HOOO Cry Some More Dolophane. Money you should email mjk Dolophanes post.

Last edited by slicknickshady; 07-16-2006 at 09:13 PM..
Old 07-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane
See, that's the thing. It's not beyond their control. I really don't think they give a shit, and I think Maynard's response confirms that.

Tom Waits' tour next month, for example. His shows sell out right quick (he's actually playing here in Chicago the same place I saw Tool at), but the shows are Will Call, which means that only people actually buying the tickets will get in. Meaning no scalping.

These are simple measures to take to protect your fans from getting screwed over price, and so I reiterate: Tool doesn't care about their fans. Not that I care, I got into the last show for free and I ain't going to this one. I just wish to correct the view that it's "beyond their control."

what venue did you see tool in. was it an arena? will call would be a disaster for an arena imo.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: