Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2007
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
11-08-2007, 01:08 AM

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
Nov 17 New Orleans, LA New Orleans Arena

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
grendel
11-18-2007, 12:02 AM

Setlist

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
46 & 2
Schism (w/ double-time section)
Rosetta Stoned
Flood (w/ full intro)
(Intermission)
Wings
10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)
Lateralus (With drummer from trans am)
Vicarious

AMAZING SHOW!!! This was my 7th show and it ties for best ever with Houston in '98. I FINALLY got to see them play Flood live, and with the full intro!!! The sound for the first part of Jambi was extremely flat but by the end of the song the sound guys had everything just about right. The guys were obviously feeling good after their break from the European leg of the tour. Maynard wasn't overly talkative but the vibe was fantastic. I was suprised by the lack of security or even venue ushers. The Desoto show in May was CRAZY with security. Can't wait to see them again!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Nov 17 New Orleans, LA New Orleans Arena

Setlist

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
46 & 2
Rosetta Stoned
Flood (w/ full intro)
(Intermission)
Wings
Vicarious

AMAZING SHOW!!! This was my 7th show and it ties for best ever with Houston in '98. I FINALLY got to see them play Flood live, and with the full intro!!! The sound for the first part of Jambi was extremely flat but by the end of the song the sound guys had everything just about right. The guys were obviously feeling good after their break from the European leg of the tour. Maynard wasn't overly talkative but the vibe was fantastic. I was suprised by the lack of security or even venue ushers. The Desoto show in May was CRAZY with security. Can't wait to see them again!
OFFLINE |  
bananarama
11-18-2007, 01:02 AM

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
46 & 2
Rosetta Stoned
(-)ions (for about 20 seconds, but they played it)
Flood (w/ full intro)
(Intermission)
Wings
Vicarious

AWESOME.

First show....
...got flood ;}

I'll finish the review in the morning... sleepytime.

Last edited by bananarama; 11-18-2007 at 01:21 AM..
Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
46 & 2
Rosetta Stoned
(-)ions (for about 20 seconds, but they played it)
Flood (w/ full intro)
(Intermission)
Wings
Vicarious

AWESOME.

First show....
...got flood ;}

I'll finish the review in the morning... sleepytime.

Last edited by bananarama; 11-18-2007 at 01:21 AM..
OFFLINE |  
MY LUCID DESIGN
11-18-2007, 01:46 AM

(-)ions was "played", but it was before Stinkfist as it usually is, not where the guy above me posted it.

The show was pretty good. They were tight and the sound was pretty crisp for the most part.

I still can't get over the fact that they've basically been playing the same setlist since 10,000 Days came out. What a shame.

I listened to Lateralus on the 2-hour drive home for the first time in ages, and it is a damn shame that those songs aren't seeing more action these days. Not to mention the classic stuff from the first three albums. Fuck it. It was still nice to finally hear flood.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

(-)ions was "played", but it was before Stinkfist as it usually is, not where the guy above me posted it.

The show was pretty good. They were tight and the sound was pretty crisp for the most part.

I still can't get over the fact that they've basically been playing the same setlist since 10,000 Days came out. What a shame.

I listened to Lateralus on the 2-hour drive home for the first time in ages, and it is a damn shame that those songs aren't seeing more action these days. Not to mention the classic stuff from the first three albums. Fuck it. It was still nice to finally hear flood.
OFFLINE |  
CelestialRender
11-18-2007, 02:01 AM

Totally awesome. Best parts were Flood and the extended Lateralus, for me. Everybody was on form, and Adam seemed a helluva lot more enthused than last time I saw 'em.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Totally awesome. Best parts were Flood and the extended Lateralus, for me. Everybody was on form, and Adam seemed a helluva lot more enthused than last time I saw 'em.
11-18-2007, 02:57 AM

that was fucking amazing. fuck everybody who says tool have lost it. granted, that was my first time to see them live, but it was incredible anyway.

flood rocked my face off. every song was great, and vicarious sounded way better live than it does on the album.

there was a drum battle of sorts between danny and the guy from transam during lateralus, which kicked some serious asses.

i'm still all tingly. fuck yes.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

that was fucking amazing. fuck everybody who says tool have lost it. granted, that was my first time to see them live, but it was incredible anyway.

flood rocked my face off. every song was great, and vicarious sounded way better live than it does on the album.

there was a drum battle of sorts between danny and the guy from transam during lateralus, which kicked some serious asses.

11-18-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth View Post

WHO says they have "lost it??

I never read that
Old 11-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth View Post

WHO says they have "lost it??

I never read that
OFFLINE |  
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
11-18-2007, 06:01 AM

This was a really good show. I saw them in Baton Rouge a few months ago and they just seemed flat and like they just didn't give a shit, especially Maynard. (I mean, Tool is like sex, even when it's not as good as it could be, it's still pretty good, and Danny is always badass). But last night it seemed like they were really on. There could have been more clarity in the mix, especially for the drums, and a little more punch on the bass drums, but the New Orleans arena is notorious for its poor acoustics.

There is nothing else, no band performing today, possibly ever, that compares to a Tool performance. Danny Carey is simply mind-blowing. To watch him is to witness an absolute living legend. I think this was my eighth time seeing Tool ever, and my fourth since 10,000 days came out (twice in L.A., Baton Rouge, and now New Orleans) and he just impresses me even more. Shit.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #8
Prana

Bincount™: 8

This was a really good show. I saw them in Baton Rouge a few months ago and they just seemed flat and like they just didn't give a shit, especially Maynard. (I mean, Tool is like sex, even when it's not as good as it could be, it's still pretty good, and Danny is always badass). But last night it seemed like they were really on. There could have been more clarity in the mix, especially for the drums, and a little more punch on the bass drums, but the New Orleans arena is notorious for its poor acoustics.

There is nothing else, no band performing today, possibly ever, that compares to a Tool performance. Danny Carey is simply mind-blowing. To watch him is to witness an absolute living legend. I think this was my eighth time seeing Tool ever, and my fourth since 10,000 days came out (twice in L.A., Baton Rouge, and now New Orleans) and he just impresses me even more. Shit.
11-18-2007, 06:27 AM

Did anyone else notice that it looked like Adam has cut his hair short now?!?
Old 11-18-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Did anyone else notice that it looked like Adam has cut his hair short now?!?
OFFLINE |  
bananarama
11-18-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY LUCID DESIGN View Post

Sry, was too tired for accuracy of order ^_^
Old 11-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY LUCID DESIGN View Post

Sry, was too tired for accuracy of order ^_^
OFFLINE |  
mulhollanddriven
11-18-2007, 07:46 AM

Mind blowing. Just got back.

Exact same setlist as previous two shows. Wings was the highlight for me....they have that song nailed now. Schism was incredible...the intermission was the still from the vicarious video with lights going crazy. Insane.

Ok....that was the good.

The bad....the crowd. Holy shit were there sme fucking steakhead idiots there. Just a ton of loud, fratboy jerkoffs that bought the CD last week. The band had to have known. Plus the entire venue was smokey as fuck, which probably pissed Maynard off. He seemed like he was conserving his voice.

Danny was incredible as usual, but Justin stole the show for me. His playing during Wings is insane, and if you are closeup enough to him to see his face while he is playing it is pretty fucking cool He looks like a demon and rocks the fuck out.

The light show has evolved and is even more amazing now. Flood was fucking incredible.

I didn't really dig Trans Am that much....they got a few boos, which pised me off a little.....just a lot of idiots there.

During the drum break in Lateralus, Maynard held up two signs with numbers (a 9 and a 7) rating the drummers, which was pretty funny....

Amazing show, but the crowd needs to fucking walk into traffic.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Mind blowing. Just got back.

Exact same setlist as previous two shows. Wings was the highlight for me....they have that song nailed now. Schism was incredible...the intermission was the still from the vicarious video with lights going crazy. Insane.

Ok....that was the good.

The bad....the crowd. Holy shit were there sme fucking steakhead idiots there. Just a ton of loud, fratboy jerkoffs that bought the CD last week. The band had to have known. Plus the entire venue was smokey as fuck, which probably pissed Maynard off. He seemed like he was conserving his voice.

Danny was incredible as usual, but Justin stole the show for me. His playing during Wings is insane, and if you are closeup enough to him to see his face while he is playing it is pretty fucking cool He looks like a demon and rocks the fuck out.

The light show has evolved and is even more amazing now. Flood was fucking incredible.

I didn't really dig Trans Am that much....they got a few boos, which pised me off a little.....just a lot of idiots there.

During the drum break in Lateralus, Maynard held up two signs with numbers (a 9 and a 7) rating the drummers, which was pretty funny....

Amazing show, but the crowd needs to fucking walk into traffic.
OFFLINE |  
Brandi Rahvez
11-18-2007, 08:18 AM

Since people usually post crap that Maynard says, he actually talked about 4-5 times. I couldn't make out a lot of it.

But one was, "So what's new?"

It sucked being a bit high up for me because I think it affected the sound. As I was walking up from bathroom break at intermission, it sounded much better lower. It was hard to hear Maynard throughout most of the show. And I'm not sure if it was the acoustics in the place, but it seemed like he was using a lot of backup vocal tracks at certain parts. Again, I'm not saying he was, it just seemed like it. I was disappointed that he just put the mic into the crowd during the major "scream" in Vicarious. Again, they seemed off sync several times but it could have been because I was high up.

Danny was the fucking man, as usual. Justin had me giggling the entire time because that dude never stops making sweet love to his bass. Adam is badass. I wish I was closer to see his facial expressions, because frankly, they freak me the fuck out. Maynard has got his little rocker stance performance down.

The light show was fantastic. But I'm a sucker for lasers. I think that was the best part about being higher up. When they had the two levels of lasers (the bottom lasers were criss-crossed and the top layer was more straight on), that was the coolest part of the lasers. I commented that it looked like you just just jump onto the bottom layer and spring like you would be on a trampoline. I saw the disco balls (two on each side pretty high up) and I don't think they used them. Unless I missed it or something.

I actually enjoyed Trans Am. They were definitely something different and seemed talented. The stage looked a bit funny while they were playing because they were so close together on that huge stage.

I was at the Baton Rouge show, but unfortunately drank too much like an idiot so my boyfriend surprised me with tickets to the show because he knew I was kicking myself in the ass for not fully enjoying the Baton Rouge show. Therefore, we got the higher up tickets at the last minute. But I was thankful to redeem myself by not overindulging in the liquor.

This was about my 7th show, the first being the Ozzfest Tour back in '98 when Maynard came out of the toilet. The band has evolved since then (duh!) It's good. It's progress. But it's always nice to reminisce about the old concerts and what was great about them, but it's nice to see it changed up even if it seems to have lost some of it's rawness. That's the logical progression of forwardness.

It would be nice if I could see them in a 100 person venue play Opiate thru 10,000 days straight. HA, a girl can dream! :)

Last edited by Brandi Rahvez; 11-18-2007 at 08:20 AM..
Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Since people usually post crap that Maynard says, he actually talked about 4-5 times. I couldn't make out a lot of it.

But one was, "So what's new?"

It sucked being a bit high up for me because I think it affected the sound. As I was walking up from bathroom break at intermission, it sounded much better lower. It was hard to hear Maynard throughout most of the show. And I'm not sure if it was the acoustics in the place, but it seemed like he was using a lot of backup vocal tracks at certain parts. Again, I'm not saying he was, it just seemed like it. I was disappointed that he just put the mic into the crowd during the major "scream" in Vicarious. Again, they seemed off sync several times but it could have been because I was high up.

Danny was the fucking man, as usual. Justin had me giggling the entire time because that dude never stops making sweet love to his bass. Adam is badass. I wish I was closer to see his facial expressions, because frankly, they freak me the fuck out. Maynard has got his little rocker stance performance down.

The light show was fantastic. But I'm a sucker for lasers. I think that was the best part about being higher up. When they had the two levels of lasers (the bottom lasers were criss-crossed and the top layer was more straight on), that was the coolest part of the lasers. I commented that it looked like you just just jump onto the bottom layer and spring like you would be on a trampoline. I saw the disco balls (two on each side pretty high up) and I don't think they used them. Unless I missed it or something.

I actually enjoyed Trans Am. They were definitely something different and seemed talented. The stage looked a bit funny while they were playing because they were so close together on that huge stage.

I was at the Baton Rouge show, but unfortunately drank too much like an idiot so my boyfriend surprised me with tickets to the show because he knew I was kicking myself in the ass for not fully enjoying the Baton Rouge show. Therefore, we got the higher up tickets at the last minute. But I was thankful to redeem myself by not overindulging in the liquor.

This was about my 7th show, the first being the Ozzfest Tour back in '98 when Maynard came out of the toilet. The band has evolved since then (duh!) It's good. It's progress. But it's always nice to reminisce about the old concerts and what was great about them, but it's nice to see it changed up even if it seems to have lost some of it's rawness. That's the logical progression of forwardness.

It would be nice if I could see them in a 100 person venue play Opiate thru 10,000 days straight. HA, a girl can dream! :)

Last edited by Brandi Rahvez; 11-18-2007 at 08:20 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Subtle Shot's Avatar Subtle Shot
11-18-2007, 08:26 AM

I was on the floor, on the railing in front of Adam.

Few things I watched and noticed from there:
Justin messed up in Jambi, Adam looked over to him, pointed and smiled. During Lateralus, Justin getting the beer, playing one handed and shotgunning it was pretty cool. Also during Lateralus, Adam walked over to his amps and picked up a book and briefly started reading it during the drum battle, lol it was some sort of novel. There was a bunch of random times, that they'd look at each other and just smile and crack little jokes. And Danny smiling and laughing when the Trans Am drummer was playing with him was funny.

Overall, it was an amazing show, the crowd was a little lackluster at times, they were into it, but they wouldn't hold applause very long, and I didn't even think it ever got that loud. There is a bunch of new visuals, and light set ups, which is pretty nice. Would like to see the set evolve a little more, but can't complain to hearing any Tool live :) They all seemed to be down to business during the show, yet still relaxed, and the end of the show, out of all the times I've seen em, they were really cool, and down to Earth with the fans here. Trans Am, I found to be pretty boring, the music isn't bad, just gets old quick, and just wasn't impressed.

Maynard:

"How are you New Orleans? Ready to go big or go home?"

"Thank you, it's been dandy"
Old 11-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

I was on the floor, on the railing in front of Adam.

Justin messed up in Jambi, Adam looked over to him, pointed and smiled. During Lateralus, Justin getting the beer, playing one handed and shotgunning it was pretty cool. Also during Lateralus, Adam walked over to his amps and picked up a book and briefly started reading it during the drum battle, lol it was some sort of novel. There was a bunch of random times, that they'd look at each other and just smile and crack little jokes. And Danny smiling and laughing when the Trans Am drummer was playing with him was funny.

Overall, it was an amazing show, the crowd was a little lackluster at times, they were into it, but they wouldn't hold applause very long, and I didn't even think it ever got that loud. There is a bunch of new visuals, and light set ups, which is pretty nice. Would like to see the set evolve a little more, but can't complain to hearing any Tool live :) They all seemed to be down to business during the show, yet still relaxed, and the end of the show, out of all the times I've seen em, they were really cool, and down to Earth with the fans here. Trans Am, I found to be pretty boring, the music isn't bad, just gets old quick, and just wasn't impressed.

Maynard:

"How are you New Orleans? Ready to go big or go home?"

OFFLINE |  
your_halo
11-18-2007, 08:27 AM

Well, the show was my 7th show- and my first out of state. That was most likely the best show I've seen yet. They really were on their top form last night. Got to sit right across from the stage on the third teer - although I happened to be right up front. So there were no obstructions to look down upon the stage - ended up being perfect seats. The lazers were above you, and below you- great effect at the end of the show!

There really was a "pink floyd" feel to end of the show- and the stage projections were simply amazing!!! Heard that they use something like 12 projectors for the stage floor alone- nevermind the rear projection screens (of which there is another 6). Overall, the light show is top grade- jaw dropping if you will.

MJK seemed to really feel it- dancing the way he does back in the days of Enima. Danny of course ripped it up. Adam and Justin just seemed to really enjoy themselves.

Although the set list was for the most part the same as every other show for 10k days- they were really dialed in (one would hope so, right?)last night.

Points of mention:

Extended Stinkfist- sooo cool, love the fact when they pull the extened ver. it throws off some in the crowd and you can hear them sing- the little joys.

The opening of Flood (and the final of that song, so good it has to be bad for you).

10000 days was truely a treat I've been waiting for. First time hearing it live- so cool. Plus it was when they pulled out the lazers.

The drummer from Trans Am- now that was odd at first- but then Danny and him got into this battle that just ended up being killer. And all right in the middle of Lateralus.

Lateralus is truely a great song- although I thought the gong would of been louder- in Marysville it was loud enought to ring your soul.

Over all the show totally rocked. Even my roommate who doesn't listen to the music or seen a show before, had a great time. Since this is most likely the last show I'll see of TOOL for around four year- I'm really glad to see it end on such a good point.

Until next time
Old 11-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Well, the show was my 7th show- and my first out of state. That was most likely the best show I've seen yet. They really were on their top form last night. Got to sit right across from the stage on the third teer - although I happened to be right up front. So there were no obstructions to look down upon the stage - ended up being perfect seats. The lazers were above you, and below you- great effect at the end of the show!

There really was a "pink floyd" feel to end of the show- and the stage projections were simply amazing!!! Heard that they use something like 12 projectors for the stage floor alone- nevermind the rear projection screens (of which there is another 6). Overall, the light show is top grade- jaw dropping if you will.

MJK seemed to really feel it- dancing the way he does back in the days of Enima. Danny of course ripped it up. Adam and Justin just seemed to really enjoy themselves.

Although the set list was for the most part the same as every other show for 10k days- they were really dialed in (one would hope so, right?)last night.

Points of mention:

Extended Stinkfist- sooo cool, love the fact when they pull the extened ver. it throws off some in the crowd and you can hear them sing- the little joys.

The opening of Flood (and the final of that song, so good it has to be bad for you).

10000 days was truely a treat I've been waiting for. First time hearing it live- so cool. Plus it was when they pulled out the lazers.

The drummer from Trans Am- now that was odd at first- but then Danny and him got into this battle that just ended up being killer. And all right in the middle of Lateralus.

Lateralus is truely a great song- although I thought the gong would of been louder- in Marysville it was loud enought to ring your soul.

Over all the show totally rocked. Even my roommate who doesn't listen to the music or seen a show before, had a great time. Since this is most likely the last show I'll see of TOOL for around four year- I'm really glad to see it end on such a good point.

Until next time
OFFLINE |  
Subtle Shot's Avatar Subtle Shot
11-18-2007, 08:38 AM

Oh an I forgot to mention, did anyone see Justin and Adam walking around on the floor in the barricades next to the floor, on the floor when Trans Am was playing? Adam passed by once and Justin twice, and my friends & I were the only ones who noticed them... but I think it was just because no one else knew who they are or what they look like lol.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Oh an I forgot to mention, did anyone see Justin and Adam walking around on the floor in the barricades next to the floor, on the floor when Trans Am was playing? Adam passed by once and Justin twice, and my friends & I were the only ones who noticed them... but I think it was just because no one else knew who they are or what they look like lol.
OFFLINE |  
Brandi Rahvez
11-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle Shot View Post
Ah yes. I remember that now. I wish I would have been as close to see the things you saw, but it's great to hear they were having a good time.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle Shot View Post
Ah yes. I remember that now. I wish I would have been as close to see the things you saw, but it's great to hear they were having a good time.
OFFLINE |  
TheDude420
11-18-2007, 11:15 AM

Nice show. I was very suprised at the amount of security for the people sitting in the 100 level seats. I was 1 row from the floor in sec 112 and there was no less than 3 security guards, who took their job very seriously by the way, in my direct and peripheral line of sight. Not quite as bad as the May show in Southaven Mississippi, but...

Setlist was as expected but very nice. Alot of energy came from that stage last nite and i appreciate that as opposed to some shows with a lifeless Maynard and Adam (Justin and Danny are always having fun and rocking). I was really hoping for something special when he said "Are you ready to go big or go home", then when he held up the 9 and 7 during lateralus, i was thinking we gona get something from Aenima circa 1997, say Pushit (which i saw in Baton Rouge) or third eye....but no. Flood was really sweet tho...really cool intro.

Stinkfist had a really cool jam in the middle of it that was unlike any other time ive seen it live. The drummer for trans am with danny was awesome, they were both breaking it down.

The people around me were really cool, save for the peon security guard, and i have no complaints other than this one, and this is a subjective rant, but i really hate Vicarious...i mean i absolutely detest that song except for the part that goes..."the universe is hostile, so impossible..." It's my least fav Tool song by very far and a terrible closer.

Overall a really good show, will be the last i get to see until next tour if there is another one, and i really enjoyed it...good job guys, thanks.

Btw: i really like rosetta stoned live. all 3 times i have seen it i enjoy it more and more i think it is meant to be played live b/c it translates so well from the studio version

Last edited by TheDude420; 11-18-2007 at 11:22 AM..
Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

Nice show. I was very suprised at the amount of security for the people sitting in the 100 level seats. I was 1 row from the floor in sec 112 and there was no less than 3 security guards, who took their job very seriously by the way, in my direct and peripheral line of sight. Not quite as bad as the May show in Southaven Mississippi, but...

Setlist was as expected but very nice. Alot of energy came from that stage last nite and i appreciate that as opposed to some shows with a lifeless Maynard and Adam (Justin and Danny are always having fun and rocking). I was really hoping for something special when he said "Are you ready to go big or go home", then when he held up the 9 and 7 during lateralus, i was thinking we gona get something from Aenima circa 1997, say Pushit (which i saw in Baton Rouge) or third eye....but no. Flood was really sweet tho...really cool intro.

Stinkfist had a really cool jam in the middle of it that was unlike any other time ive seen it live. The drummer for trans am with danny was awesome, they were both breaking it down.

The people around me were really cool, save for the peon security guard, and i have no complaints other than this one, and this is a subjective rant, but i really hate Vicarious...i mean i absolutely detest that song except for the part that goes..."the universe is hostile, so impossible..." It's my least fav Tool song by very far and a terrible closer.

Overall a really good show, will be the last i get to see until next tour if there is another one, and i really enjoyed it...good job guys, thanks.

Btw: i really like rosetta stoned live. all 3 times i have seen it i enjoy it more and more i think it is meant to be played live b/c it translates so well from the studio version

Last edited by TheDude420; 11-18-2007 at 11:22 AM..
OFFLINE |  
andys311
11-18-2007, 11:32 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the show last night. I was on the floor, 3rd person back from the gate, and security was really mellow. A lot of people around me were smoking, which I would prefer if they didn't but its whatever. I was able to snap a few pictures with my phone and security didn't care like they did when I saw them in Birmingham. In my opinion they played flawlessly! Highlight of the night for me was Lateralus. That song gives me chills! Flood was absolutely amazing. Danny's drums sounded like a cannon going off, it was incredible! The light show, as always was second to none. Maynard is always fun to watch, his dancing is awesome. Adam seems very focused when he plays. This was my second time seeing them and this time I was able to watch Adam more closely and it seemed like he wasn't into it all that much. But after the show when they huddled together he came to the end of the stage and gave a double fist pump and a "rock on" face, so I'm pretty sure he was into it! Justin and Danny, they speak for themselves, truly amazing musicians.

Some of the people around me were total douche bags. One guy was talking about how Maynard was "totally coked out right now." Another dude was possibly the angriest individual on the planet. When people would crowd surf or mosh and he was to get bumped or pushed he would absolutely flip out! He grabbed a crowd surfer, through him on the floor and started screaming at him...kinda scared me a little bit!

All in all it was an awesome show! Hopefully I get to see them again sometime in the future!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

I thoroughly enjoyed the show last night. I was on the floor, 3rd person back from the gate, and security was really mellow. A lot of people around me were smoking, which I would prefer if they didn't but its whatever. I was able to snap a few pictures with my phone and security didn't care like they did when I saw them in Birmingham. In my opinion they played flawlessly! Highlight of the night for me was Lateralus. That song gives me chills! Flood was absolutely amazing. Danny's drums sounded like a cannon going off, it was incredible! The light show, as always was second to none. Maynard is always fun to watch, his dancing is awesome. Adam seems very focused when he plays. This was my second time seeing them and this time I was able to watch Adam more closely and it seemed like he wasn't into it all that much. But after the show when they huddled together he came to the end of the stage and gave a double fist pump and a "rock on" face, so I'm pretty sure he was into it! Justin and Danny, they speak for themselves, truly amazing musicians.

Some of the people around me were total douche bags. One guy was talking about how Maynard was "totally coked out right now." Another dude was possibly the angriest individual on the planet. When people would crowd surf or mosh and he was to get bumped or pushed he would absolutely flip out! He grabbed a crowd surfer, through him on the floor and started screaming at him...kinda scared me a little bit!

All in all it was an awesome show! Hopefully I get to see them again sometime in the future!
OFFLINE |  
?uest Macabre's Avatar ?uest Macabre
11-18-2007, 03:05 PM

I was up in 306.

The whole thing was fucking glorious.
The crowd was a bit overzealous at some points, but the setlist was immaculate apart from not closing with AEnema.

First Tool show and it was glorious.

The lights were also insane, they made the flower of life with fucking lasers, which was astonishing.

Maynard seemed into it and was, as always, on point.

Danny was great.

Justin and Adam were also.

The guy in front of me was sad that they didn't play "The Pot".

Great show.

My only complaint was the opening act.

They blew horrifically.

Last edited by ?uest Macabre; 11-18-2007 at 03:16 PM..
Old 11-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I was up in 306.

The whole thing was fucking glorious.
The crowd was a bit overzealous at some points, but the setlist was immaculate apart from not closing with AEnema.

First Tool show and it was glorious.

The lights were also insane, they made the flower of life with fucking lasers, which was astonishing.

Maynard seemed into it and was, as always, on point.

Danny was great.

Justin and Adam were also.

The guy in front of me was sad that they didn't play "The Pot".

Great show.

My only complaint was the opening act.

They blew horrifically.

Last edited by ?uest Macabre; 11-18-2007 at 03:16 PM..
OFFLINE |  
aMMgYrP
11-18-2007, 04:09 PM

Nov. 17th 2007 New Orleans Arena.
2 Floor Tickets

Set List (to the best of my memory) :
Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood (w/ full intro)
*Extended Instrumental / Intermission*
Wings for Marie
10000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

This is my second Tool Show, my first was at Voodoo in 2001, and that show sets the standard, because they played for 3 hours and they had sky dancers.

My date and I entered the arena at 7:30 after doing the requisite good deed of giving away an extra stands ticket (yes, given away). We made our way to the floor with plenty of time to get within about 8-10 feet of the stage. We were on stage right, (the left side). The stage was draped in black tarps, and only had two keyboards, and a drum set uncovered. Promptly at 8:30 (after a few minutes of socializing with the crowd and turning down many many offers to smoke) the lights dimmed and the opening act Trans Am took the stage.

There were of course a few of "that guy"s in the audience yelling for them to get off of the stage, but Trans Am was actually pretty good. Which is a lesson to all of us to not be "that guy". (nor the guy who yells "Play Freebird") But anyway, Trans Am played about 6 songs, which were all up beat. At least two of the three members are multi-instrumentalists which I found was cool. By 8:30 they had completed their set and schlepped their equipment off stage.

The sound guys and several people dressed in haz-mat suits and lab coats pulled off the tarps to reveal 4 rear projection screens and Danny's Drum set. There were two additional projection screens suspended to the left and right of the stage respectively. And one large screen suspended in back. There were also three light rings suspended above the stage, the center of which had a neon dream catcher and the other two of which contained light projectors.

The next 30 minutes was spent milling about while the road crew and sound crew prepped the equipment for the headliners. Then the lights dimmed again, and first Danny (wearing an LA Clippers jersey), then Adam (with braided Pigtails), then Justin (Bass in hand), took the stage, and started into the warm-up jam. Maynard (in a cowboy hat) came on last and took a position stage-right of Danny. Adam on stage-right (where we were) and Justin was on stage-left. They broke into a disjointed warm-up which soon came into focus as the opening song: Jambi. The entire crowd sang along, and at times Maynard tipped the microphone towards us to let us sing it for him. The rear projection screens had the eye from Lateralus distorted with waves of red static snow passing through it. Over all the band seemed to be enjoying the performance just as much as the crowd was. Danny was smiling and jamming away and Adam and Justin were really intently focused on their guitars (or bass guitar in Justin's case).

Jambi concluded, and after a few seconds of distortion and noise the band jumped into Stinkfist. Which of course got the crowd exceedingly pumped and body surfing ensued. Once Stinkfist had finished, The rear screens displayed an electrical arc and the sound or that arcaccompanied it. Maynard took this time to have a quick banter with the crowd and asked how we were doing, and he of course received a phenomenal amount of love for the gesture. Techs scurried around in the back doing this and that.

Then 46&2 started after an extended intro and rocked really Really REALLY Hard. This was the first time that I noticed that slam dancing had broken out in the middle of the crowd. And the rear screens played a loop of Fire. I could feel the drum and bass in my chest and it was getting a little overwhelming. Then the screens played a loop of nude women swimming. As it built to a crescendo and I looked over at my date, and she was completely stunned. (it was her first concert, let alone first Tool show) Then it dropped down to silence, and the crowd was already at it's breaking point.

Then the circular metronome drifted across the project screens and they launched into Schism. Even though I was on the opposite side of the stage from Justin, I could see him bending the bass to his will, drawing the hypnotic bass-line out of the stings by pure force of will and hammer-ons. The crowd seemed to be entranced by this, and were swaying in unison, more mumbling the words than singing them and being transfixed on the video being played on the screens.

Then the band went into Flood(I believe; My mind was pretty well blown by this point and I forgot to jot down the song) I at first mistook it for Part of me, then Push it, but finally I realized it was a modified version of Flood. I thought my senses were overloaded already, but then...

The three light rings changed position to flood the crowd with a red and white light spin and a low rumble and feedback is all remained. This went on for about 5 minutes. Allowing "Recovery time"

We were brought out of this state by Maynard who used a bullhorn for most of the next song, babbling incoherently into the mouthpiece until the familiar drum beat of Rosetta Stoned took over. Because the song has such a long build up I was experiencing a large amount of restlessness. So when the song finally reached it's main parts I almost knocked the guy next to me over. I think it was some time around this that Justin pulled a chair on stage and sat down. The conclusion of RS brought us to the intermission.

Wings for Marie. Slow and plodding, it gave me just enough time to recover so that I could enjoy the second part of the song. Because the songs are linked, it was obvious what was coming next: 10000 Days. The projection screens had clouds and distortions of clouds depending on how intense the song was at that moment. And it was good and somehow cathartic for the bad day I had been having.

The next song was Lateralus; which i expected at some point in the show, but what I did not expect was that Sebastian from Trans Am (Yes the opening band) came on to accompany Danny on Drums for the song. And the power of one good drummer (as great as Danny Carey is) is nothing compared to the power of two good drumers drumming well together. Danny was grinning ear-to-ear and spent a good bit of time watching Sebastian, and it was at times like a drum battle. But not so competitive that it overshadowed the great show that was going on; and the light show at this point was getting beyond phenomenal. Lasers and smoke machines created a roof of light that was ebbing and flowing, spinning and criss-crossing, and rising and falling. Like a lattice work of light. The projection screens looped a double helix of babies that was breaking apart and coming back together. The guy to my left was tripping heavy on mescaline. Might have been drooling as the show unloaded and unhinged his brain. The song concluded with Maynard thanking us for coming out, and hoping that we had enjoyed the show.

Then The band launched full on into Vicarious, and the once again, the crowd's singing overwhelmed the sound system and The Light show that one would have though would have been at it's peak, somehow got more intense and the next thing you know it's all over. Like a moment that is so good, and so intense that you wish you could hold onto it forever, but it is in itself fleeting and now distant. Yes, like an orgasm. That is what Vicarious was like.

So they band all stood up, shook hands, did a group hug on stage, the crowd was going absolutely certifiably insane. We all wanted more. But we would not get any. But it was great what we got.

My only disappointments were that I did not get to hear Parabola, or Sober. But I think at least Sober would not have fit in with the selections for the night.
9/10. On par with but not quite equal to my Voodoo experience. But still Really Really Really Good.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Nov. 17th 2007 New Orleans Arena.
2 Floor Tickets

Set List (to the best of my memory) :
Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood (w/ full intro)
*Extended Instrumental / Intermission*
Wings for Marie
10000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

This is my second Tool Show, my first was at Voodoo in 2001, and that show sets the standard, because they played for 3 hours and they had sky dancers.

My date and I entered the arena at 7:30 after doing the requisite good deed of giving away an extra stands ticket (yes, given away). We made our way to the floor with plenty of time to get within about 8-10 feet of the stage. We were on stage right, (the left side). The stage was draped in black tarps, and only had two keyboards, and a drum set uncovered. Promptly at 8:30 (after a few minutes of socializing with the crowd and turning down many many offers to smoke) the lights dimmed and the opening act Trans Am took the stage.

There were of course a few of "that guy"s in the audience yelling for them to get off of the stage, but Trans Am was actually pretty good. Which is a lesson to all of us to not be "that guy". (nor the guy who yells "Play Freebird") But anyway, Trans Am played about 6 songs, which were all up beat. At least two of the three members are multi-instrumentalists which I found was cool. By 8:30 they had completed their set and schlepped their equipment off stage.

The sound guys and several people dressed in haz-mat suits and lab coats pulled off the tarps to reveal 4 rear projection screens and Danny's Drum set. There were two additional projection screens suspended to the left and right of the stage respectively. And one large screen suspended in back. There were also three light rings suspended above the stage, the center of which had a neon dream catcher and the other two of which contained light projectors.

The next 30 minutes was spent milling about while the road crew and sound crew prepped the equipment for the headliners. Then the lights dimmed again, and first Danny (wearing an LA Clippers jersey), then Adam (with braided Pigtails), then Justin (Bass in hand), took the stage, and started into the warm-up jam. Maynard (in a cowboy hat) came on last and took a position stage-right of Danny. Adam on stage-right (where we were) and Justin was on stage-left. They broke into a disjointed warm-up which soon came into focus as the opening song: Jambi. The entire crowd sang along, and at times Maynard tipped the microphone towards us to let us sing it for him. The rear projection screens had the eye from Lateralus distorted with waves of red static snow passing through it. Over all the band seemed to be enjoying the performance just as much as the crowd was. Danny was smiling and jamming away and Adam and Justin were really intently focused on their guitars (or bass guitar in Justin's case).

Jambi concluded, and after a few seconds of distortion and noise the band jumped into Stinkfist. Which of course got the crowd exceedingly pumped and body surfing ensued. Once Stinkfist had finished, The rear screens displayed an electrical arc and the sound or that arcaccompanied it. Maynard took this time to have a quick banter with the crowd and asked how we were doing, and he of course received a phenomenal amount of love for the gesture. Techs scurried around in the back doing this and that.

Then 46&2 started after an extended intro and rocked really Really REALLY Hard. This was the first time that I noticed that slam dancing had broken out in the middle of the crowd. And the rear screens played a loop of Fire. I could feel the drum and bass in my chest and it was getting a little overwhelming. Then the screens played a loop of nude women swimming. As it built to a crescendo and I looked over at my date, and she was completely stunned. (it was her first concert, let alone first Tool show) Then it dropped down to silence, and the crowd was already at it's breaking point.

Then the circular metronome drifted across the project screens and they launched into Schism. Even though I was on the opposite side of the stage from Justin, I could see him bending the bass to his will, drawing the hypnotic bass-line out of the stings by pure force of will and hammer-ons. The crowd seemed to be entranced by this, and were swaying in unison, more mumbling the words than singing them and being transfixed on the video being played on the screens.

Then the band went into Flood(I believe; My mind was pretty well blown by this point and I forgot to jot down the song) I at first mistook it for Part of me, then Push it, but finally I realized it was a modified version of Flood. I thought my senses were overloaded already, but then...

The three light rings changed position to flood the crowd with a red and white light spin and a low rumble and feedback is all remained. This went on for about 5 minutes. Allowing "Recovery time"

We were brought out of this state by Maynard who used a bullhorn for most of the next song, babbling incoherently into the mouthpiece until the familiar drum beat of Rosetta Stoned took over. Because the song has such a long build up I was experiencing a large amount of restlessness. So when the song finally reached it's main parts I almost knocked the guy next to me over. I think it was some time around this that Justin pulled a chair on stage and sat down. The conclusion of RS brought us to the intermission.

Wings for Marie. Slow and plodding, it gave me just enough time to recover so that I could enjoy the second part of the song. Because the songs are linked, it was obvious what was coming next: 10000 Days. The projection screens had clouds and distortions of clouds depending on how intense the song was at that moment. And it was good and somehow cathartic for the bad day I had been having.

The next song was Lateralus; which i expected at some point in the show, but what I did not expect was that Sebastian from Trans Am (Yes the opening band) came on to accompany Danny on Drums for the song. And the power of one good drummer (as great as Danny Carey is) is nothing compared to the power of two good drumers drumming well together. Danny was grinning ear-to-ear and spent a good bit of time watching Sebastian, and it was at times like a drum battle. But not so competitive that it overshadowed the great show that was going on; and the light show at this point was getting beyond phenomenal. Lasers and smoke machines created a roof of light that was ebbing and flowing, spinning and criss-crossing, and rising and falling. Like a lattice work of light. The projection screens looped a double helix of babies that was breaking apart and coming back together. The guy to my left was tripping heavy on mescaline. Might have been drooling as the show unloaded and unhinged his brain. The song concluded with Maynard thanking us for coming out, and hoping that we had enjoyed the show.

Then The band launched full on into Vicarious, and the once again, the crowd's singing overwhelmed the sound system and The Light show that one would have though would have been at it's peak, somehow got more intense and the next thing you know it's all over. Like a moment that is so good, and so intense that you wish you could hold onto it forever, but it is in itself fleeting and now distant. Yes, like an orgasm. That is what Vicarious was like.

So they band all stood up, shook hands, did a group hug on stage, the crowd was going absolutely certifiably insane. We all wanted more. But we would not get any. But it was great what we got.

My only disappointments were that I did not get to hear Parabola, or Sober. But I think at least Sober would not have fit in with the selections for the night.
9/10. On par with but not quite equal to my Voodoo experience. But still Really Really Really Good.
OFFLINE |  
bananarama
11-18-2007, 05:48 PM

Did anyone notice the vocals being off-sync during the (distorted) rosetta stoned parts?

the megaphone effect if you will...

When he went clean it was fine...i don't think much of it... i don't even know why im posting about it.

Either way, show was phenomenal, in its entirety
Old 11-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

Did anyone notice the vocals being off-sync during the (distorted) rosetta stoned parts?

When he went clean it was fine...i don't think much of it... i don't even know why im posting about it.

OFFLINE |  
Tool Head
11-18-2007, 10:32 PM

This was my 4th show of this tour. Tool played Flood in N.O. What else can anyone say except that Tool is simply phenomenal! They are the best band around & simply amazing.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 4th show of this tour. Tool played Flood in N.O. What else can anyone say except that Tool is simply phenomenal! They are the best band around & simply amazing.
OFFLINE |  
insaner's Avatar insaner
11-18-2007, 11:51 PM

somewhere around 30 shows since 93 and this was as good as any of them. it is simply amazing how tight they are now and their sound system is the best on the planet.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:51 PM   #23
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

somewhere around 30 shows since 93 and this was as good as any of them. it is simply amazing how tight they are now and their sound system is the best on the planet.
OFFLINE |  
Khadgar346's Avatar Khadgar346
11-18-2007, 11:57 PM

Drove to Nola from Austin catching all three of the shows. My trip ended in New Orleans and it was much fun. Not many people get to say that they saw Tool three times in a week! Unfortunately the set list did not change for all the shows. It would have been nice to get one or two different ones but I can't complain, I saw it coming. I was drunk as fuck for this show, I didn't even sit in my section I had a ticket for. The security of the New Orleans arena is a complete joke. There were a few empty seats around too, my friend was able to get into the front row of one of the side sections.

At the end of the show Justin crumbled up his set list and threw it at my friend. I'll try to post a picture of it when I can. We figured it would be cool and try to see if we could get any of the band to sign it for him. We waited in the back of the arena where the tour buses and crew buses were at for a good half hour. For some unknown reason the police were extremely rude and was told we couldn't stand by the baricade and we needed to go wait across the street. I thought it was rediclous that I was being yelled at for nothing so I drunkenly tried to argue with him until he threatened to put hand-cuffs on me. After waiting a bit more across the street a women came out to the baricade holding some papers and a pair of danny drum sticks. Shelee, Justin's wife was very nice to every one and told us that the band members are really nice but they are shy. She asked us who was following the band on acid and then started to hand out the swag. From what I could see the papers were signed by the band. After talking with a couple of the crew members, they told us they aren't coming out so my friends and I heading the french quarter.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 PM   #24
On Probation

Bincount™: 12

Drove to Nola from Austin catching all three of the shows. My trip ended in New Orleans and it was much fun. Not many people get to say that they saw Tool three times in a week! Unfortunately the set list did not change for all the shows. It would have been nice to get one or two different ones but I can't complain, I saw it coming. I was drunk as fuck for this show, I didn't even sit in my section I had a ticket for. The security of the New Orleans arena is a complete joke. There were a few empty seats around too, my friend was able to get into the front row of one of the side sections.

At the end of the show Justin crumbled up his set list and threw it at my friend. I'll try to post a picture of it when I can. We figured it would be cool and try to see if we could get any of the band to sign it for him. We waited in the back of the arena where the tour buses and crew buses were at for a good half hour. For some unknown reason the police were extremely rude and was told we couldn't stand by the baricade and we needed to go wait across the street. I thought it was rediclous that I was being yelled at for nothing so I drunkenly tried to argue with him until he threatened to put hand-cuffs on me. After waiting a bit more across the street a women came out to the baricade holding some papers and a pair of danny drum sticks. Shelee, Justin's wife was very nice to every one and told us that the band members are really nice but they are shy. She asked us who was following the band on acid and then started to hand out the swag. From what I could see the papers were signed by the band. After talking with a couple of the crew members, they told us they aren't coming out so my friends and I heading the french quarter.
OFFLINE |  
NewOrleans
11-19-2007, 10:18 AM

Saw the show in Houston the night before because we traveled to see the Saints vs. Texans. This was my 15th show and 4th on the 10,000 days tour.

If this was your first show, you will think it's the greatest Tool show on earth. Being my 15th, I have to give my honest opinion that it's evident they're getting older and can't perform at the level that once was in the 90's, even early 2000. The sound and performance is great, but the energy (with the exception of Danny) is no longer there.

I guess some of us have been spoiled as Maynard was more animated and proactive in years past. The Houston show was quite boring, primarily because we know what to expect.

10,000 days is a great album, but the songs live just don't compare to those of Undertow, Opiate, and Aniema. Some of you will disagree and that's ok.

It's just hard for me to appreciate the new Tool when the Old Tool performances were like nothing else life had to offer.

Looking forward to see what the future holds
Old 11-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Saw the show in Houston the night before because we traveled to see the Saints vs. Texans. This was my 15th show and 4th on the 10,000 days tour.

If this was your first show, you will think it's the greatest Tool show on earth. Being my 15th, I have to give my honest opinion that it's evident they're getting older and can't perform at the level that once was in the 90's, even early 2000. The sound and performance is great, but the energy (with the exception of Danny) is no longer there.

I guess some of us have been spoiled as Maynard was more animated and proactive in years past. The Houston show was quite boring, primarily because we know what to expect.

10,000 days is a great album, but the songs live just don't compare to those of Undertow, Opiate, and Aniema. Some of you will disagree and that's ok.

It's just hard for me to appreciate the new Tool when the Old Tool performances were like nothing else life had to offer.

OFFLINE |  
PanamaRed's Avatar PanamaRed
11-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Jambi
Stinkfist (Extended)
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Wings I & II
Lateralus (Extended)
Vicarious

The show was good, but then again it has not changed much over the last three times I have seen it. I did get to see Flood which rounded out the trifecta since I saw Pushit (Baton Rouge) and Right In Two (Cape Girardeau) as well. The sound was pretty good where I was sitting at, but Danny Carey's expertise is what made the show for me. If it was not for his supreme drumming, I would be a little upset because the members of Tool are too creative not to change the setlist. The extended Stinkfist, Flood and Wings I & II were the songs that stood out to me but mainly the break in Stinkfist. It was different from the other times I have seen it performed, but in a good way. So, here's to number nine and hopefully I will be able to enjoy number ten.

Napoleon
Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Jambi
Stinkfist (Extended)
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Wings I & II
Lateralus (Extended)
Vicarious

The show was good, but then again it has not changed much over the last three times I have seen it. I did get to see Flood which rounded out the trifecta since I saw Pushit (Baton Rouge) and Right In Two (Cape Girardeau) as well. The sound was pretty good where I was sitting at, but Danny Carey's expertise is what made the show for me. If it was not for his supreme drumming, I would be a little upset because the members of Tool are too creative not to change the setlist. The extended Stinkfist, Flood and Wings I & II were the songs that stood out to me but mainly the break in Stinkfist. It was different from the other times I have seen it performed, but in a good way. So, here's to number nine and hopefully I will be able to enjoy number ten.

Napoleon
OFFLINE |  
Niels's Avatar Niels
11-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post

Dude, I had the same experience when I saw them in Frankfurt in August! During the "Heeeey....heeoooow...I..I..I..I etc" - part, it seemed the timing was just half a second off. Gave it some more eerie sound to it if you will, but caught my attention as well.

Funny you noticed that also :-)

Hoping for another European leg.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post

Dude, I had the same experience when I saw them in Frankfurt in August! During the "Heeeey....heeoooow...I..I..I..I etc" - part, it seemed the timing was just half a second off. Gave it some more eerie sound to it if you will, but caught my attention as well.

Funny you noticed that also :-)

Hoping for another European leg.
OFFLINE |  
TeslaFlux
11-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Why are they playing the same setlist over and over and over again. Change it up !
Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Why are they playing the same setlist over and over and over again. Change it up !
OFFLINE |  
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
11-19-2007, 06:31 PM

because they're not the grateful dead and they don't play shows for the 10 or 20 people who follow them around who are probably too stoned to remember anything anyway. they play the same set because they've honed it down to a point where they can give the best possible show.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #29
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

because they're not the grateful dead and they don't play shows for the 10 or 20 people who follow them around who are probably too stoned to remember anything anyway. they play the same set because they've honed it down to a point where they can give the best possible show.
11-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaFlux View Post
programming the lights, lasers, and video screens would also be a huge pain in the ass to change the set every night...especially with the setup tool has. It doesnt bother me at all though, id watch that set for days on end!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Nov 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaFlux View Post
programming the lights, lasers, and video screens would also be a huge pain in the ass to change the set every night...especially with the setup tool has. It doesnt bother me at all though, id watch that set for days on end!
OFFLINE |  
Toolfan91's Avatar Toolfan91
11-20-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys311 View Post
Actually thats not true Ive been writing back and fourth with one of the guys who does the lighting for TOOL, I asked him why do they keep the same setlist night after night is it because it would be too hard to change the programming of the lights and lasers ect.. His reply was no it wouldn't be that hard at all it could be easily faked if need be they keep the same because they feel like they are in a groove with the setlist the way it is. I just thought you would like that little piece of info I know I did. I wish they would mix it up a little bit I've been to 13 shows for this tour and it's been pretty much the same although I did get to hear right in 2 when I went to AC, it sounded incredible. I've probably have seen them a total of 32 times if not more(can't remember too many drugs) I've been listening to them since '91. How many times have you seen them and how long have you been into them?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys311 View Post
Actually thats not true Ive been writing back and fourth with one of the guys who does the lighting for TOOL, I asked him why do they keep the same setlist night after night is it because it would be too hard to change the programming of the lights and lasers ect.. His reply was no it wouldn't be that hard at all it could be easily faked if need be they keep the same because they feel like they are in a groove with the setlist the way it is. I just thought you would like that little piece of info I know I did. I wish they would mix it up a little bit I've been to 13 shows for this tour and it's been pretty much the same although I did get to hear right in 2 when I went to AC, it sounded incredible. I've probably have seen them a total of 32 times if not more(can't remember too many drugs) I've been listening to them since '91. How many times have you seen them and how long have you been into them?
OFFLINE |  
Loteksolutions
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM

A friend and I took a road trip to Austin from Orlando to see the Austin, Houston, and New Orleans show. Best trip of my life. The security was DEFINITELY careless for most of the arena..I actually screwed up BIGTIME and wasted my general admission privileges by trying to go get some water before the show. I walked out of general admission, got what I needed, and was refused readmission due to the fact that I didn't have a wristband. The guy never told me to get one, but was definitely telling people to do so as I pleaded my case. They didn't remember me and were not about to help me out. In fact they toyed with me about it quite a bit.

In hindsight, If I were in a normal frame of mind, I wouldn't have lacked the communication skills necessary to gain entrance and probably would have noticed a table giving out wristbands (of course, had they been putting them on you AT THE ROPE I wouldn't have had that problem, but whatever.) It was a $200 lesson in communication/awareness/remembering my pen.

However, I mention it in regard to security. After accepting the fact that they weren't going to let me in, I snuck into section 11-something and stood on the stairs. Somehow, I got over it as they played Flood (which is poetic in itself when you consider the hallucinogens), and was grateful that no one told me to leave. I saw plenty of security officers walking up and down the stairs, and none of them said anything. They also didn't seem to mind people smoking joints/cigarettes, banging on chairs, etc. Although I didn't partake in those examples, I appreciated the lackadaisical security in regard to them.

I found myself enthralled with the energy all around me. I'd never before heard a girl scream in a New Orleans accent: "I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, feel connected..." It was powerful enough for me to set aside the fact that they played the same set list three shows in a row (so far), and of course dicking myself the way I had. It was my 6th tool show this year, and all things considered it was only second to Bonnaroo (And if you were there, I don't need to explain that.).

Speaking of Bonnaroo.. at the N.O. show, did anyone hear my friend (who was still on the floor..) scream "FUCK WITH MY HEAD," during the intro to Schism?

ON THE CITY: The way of security was the same attitude you could find ANYWHERE in New Orleans. They just DO NOT CARE and embrace the "what's in it for me" mentality. try asking for directions. I got the distinct impression that it's easy to disappear in that city. Needless to say, I left with a different/escalated respect and changed my attitude toward everyone for the better.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

A friend and I took a road trip to Austin from Orlando to see the Austin, Houston, and New Orleans show. Best trip of my life. The security was DEFINITELY careless for most of the arena..I actually screwed up BIGTIME and wasted my general admission privileges by trying to go get some water before the show. I walked out of general admission, got what I needed, and was refused readmission due to the fact that I didn't have a wristband. The guy never told me to get one, but was definitely telling people to do so as I pleaded my case. They didn't remember me and were not about to help me out. In fact they toyed with me about it quite a bit.

In hindsight, If I were in a normal frame of mind, I wouldn't have lacked the communication skills necessary to gain entrance and probably would have noticed a table giving out wristbands (of course, had they been putting them on you AT THE ROPE I wouldn't have had that problem, but whatever.) It was a $200 lesson in communication/awareness/remembering my pen.

However, I mention it in regard to security. After accepting the fact that they weren't going to let me in, I snuck into section 11-something and stood on the stairs. Somehow, I got over it as they played Flood (which is poetic in itself when you consider the hallucinogens), and was grateful that no one told me to leave. I saw plenty of security officers walking up and down the stairs, and none of them said anything. They also didn't seem to mind people smoking joints/cigarettes, banging on chairs, etc. Although I didn't partake in those examples, I appreciated the lackadaisical security in regard to them.

I found myself enthralled with the energy all around me. I'd never before heard a girl scream in a New Orleans accent: "I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, feel connected..." It was powerful enough for me to set aside the fact that they played the same set list three shows in a row (so far), and of course dicking myself the way I had. It was my 6th tool show this year, and all things considered it was only second to Bonnaroo (And if you were there, I don't need to explain that.).

Speaking of Bonnaroo.. at the N.O. show, did anyone hear my friend (who was still on the floor..) scream "FUCK WITH MY HEAD," during the intro to Schism?

ON THE CITY: The way of security was the same attitude you could find ANYWHERE in New Orleans. They just DO NOT CARE and embrace the "what's in it for me" mentality. try asking for directions. I got the distinct impression that it's easy to disappear in that city. Needless to say, I left with a different/escalated respect and changed my attitude toward everyone for the better.
OFFLINE |  
TeslaFlux
11-20-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfan91 View Post

Variety is the Spice of Life.

This was my fifth Tool Show. Ive always wanted to see them more than once during a tour, but whats the point? Ive been a Fan since 94

Last edited by TeslaFlux; 11-20-2007 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: add more info
Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfan91 View Post

Variety is the Spice of Life.

This was my fifth Tool Show. Ive always wanted to see them more than once during a tour, but whats the point? Ive been a Fan since 94

Last edited by TeslaFlux; 11-20-2007 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: add more info
OFFLINE |  
Scott0802
11-20-2007, 02:44 PM

This was my second Tool show and i was on the floor against the gaurd rail,and i never want to be anywhere else.the show was amazing and the guys where in a really good mood joking, dancing around as always the rocked out.But hey it's Tool. All in All had a blast just wish i could've heard the pot
Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my second Tool show and i was on the floor against the gaurd rail,and i never want to be anywhere else.the show was amazing and the guys where in a really good mood joking, dancing around as always the rocked out.But hey it's Tool. All in All had a blast just wish i could've heard the pot
OFFLINE |  
WhyteRabbit79
11-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Some say the end is near...
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation
from this
Bull
shit
three
ring
circus
sideshow of
Freaks

SO, I had a crazy crazy night and this concert was the center of it, so i'm just sharing... I got off of work at the bookstore and went to banks st bar where my friend sarah works & we were drinkin & i was sooo sad cuz tool was playin AND i was completely fuckin broke, i'm talkin change in my purse. The past month has been one of the sorriest of my life moneywise, ok? seriously...

"Calculate what we will or will not tolerate."

So we decided we were fuckin' going, and she would somehow pay with the tips she'd made from the Jell-o shots we'd stayed up late making the night before (cuz she's awesome) but first we had to go around the corner to some crazy mexican party one of the bar patrons had asked her to attend. I called and the show was not sold out and tickets were FIFTY FUCKIN BUCKS, ugh, i need to be paid more...not that tool isn't worth fifty bucks, or anything, cuz they absolutely are...anyway, so the party was for this tiny crazy old mexican lady and it was super loud and all very mexican and they had rented a porta potty and no one spoke english but they all nodded and smiled and they were playin mariachi craziness super loud and kept trying to hand me beers...everyone was enjoying the crap outta themselves and i laughing hysterically whenever sarah or i said buenas noches...we were laughing at us, too...

"Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear.
Constant over stimu-lation numbs me
and I wouldn't have
It any other way.
It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. "

anyway then we drive to the arena and FIND A PARKING SPOT super close (in NEW ORLEANS, what the hell?! super close and FREE is impossible...) and go to the box office and the evil bitch behind the counter refuses to sell us tickets!

"A groan of tedium escapes me,
Startling the fearful.
Is this a test? It has to be,
Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience, drain vitality.
This paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.
But I'm still right here
Giving blood, keeping faith
And I'm still right here."

we had missed the opening bands which i was fine with, i know tool picks bands they think people should hear, but work/money/life prevented us from getting there sooner, my life's really just too insane right now...anyway, the bitch behind the window was like, "no, we stopped selling at 9," it was like 9:08, so me, sarah and an angry mob of 8 drunk/fucked up guys ("It's my fuckin BIRTHDAY, my BIRTHDAY, I need to see fuckin TOOOL, man") assaulted everyone with a badge and yelled for them to let us in, and for supervisors and they all ran away promising they'd return and never did, cops came and yelled at us, saying, "Call Tool and complain about it"

"Someone told me once
that there's a right and wrong,
and that punishment
would come to those
who dare to cross the line.
But it must not be true
for jerk-offs like you.
Maybe it takes longer to catch a total asshole.
but I'm tired of waiting.
Maybe it's just bullshit and I should play GOD,
and shoot you myself.*
Because I'm tired of waiting. "

so sarah and i were like fuck this, we seperated from the mob and walked around the back of the arena and paid some security folk $80 to let us in the catering entrance! we walked in like we owned the place talkin some shit about gourmet pizza and took the service elevator to the 3rd floor, walked onto the balcony, saw a special seating row of chairs with TWO EMPTIES and fuckin sat down

"We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside...
This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion."

and the show was fuckin AMAZING...AH HA HA HA

we had missed three songs (had heard them from outside, though) and the first song opening i actually heard was fuckin "lateralus" OHMYGOD, fuckin amazing

"Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.

The "drum off" was fantastic, i adored every milisecond of that, i felt joy at every single moment of that show, i cannot believe how great tool has gotten at the audio/visuals meeting up at those fantastic seconds, god damn...tool can perform, i liked maynard's sexy cowboy hat, i feel he was pleased with us as an audience, he didn't turn; they played for a long time. just...god...fan fucking tastic preformance...eargsams...several eargasms...security sucks at the arena though

after the show we went to rock & bowl and watched a bunch of rich uptown new orleans white folks dance really badly but we had a great great time

"And if there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.
And I still may.
Gonna wait it out."

So, THE song I wish I would have seen them perform? "Opiate"

Choices always were a problem for you.
What you need is someone strong to guide you.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
what you need is someone strong to use you...
like me,

i fuckin love tool...just throwing that out there
l

Last edited by WhyteRabbit79; 11-20-2007 at 05:04 PM..
Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

from this
Bull
shit
three
ring
circus
sideshow of
Freaks

SO, I had a crazy crazy night and this concert was the center of it, so i'm just sharing... I got off of work at the bookstore and went to banks st bar where my friend sarah works & we were drinkin & i was sooo sad cuz tool was playin AND i was completely fuckin broke, i'm talkin change in my purse. The past month has been one of the sorriest of my life moneywise, ok? seriously...

So we decided we were fuckin' going, and she would somehow pay with the tips she'd made from the Jell-o shots we'd stayed up late making the night before (cuz she's awesome) but first we had to go around the corner to some crazy mexican party one of the bar patrons had asked her to attend. I called and the show was not sold out and tickets were FIFTY FUCKIN BUCKS, ugh, i need to be paid more...not that tool isn't worth fifty bucks, or anything, cuz they absolutely are...anyway, so the party was for this tiny crazy old mexican lady and it was super loud and all very mexican and they had rented a porta potty and no one spoke english but they all nodded and smiled and they were playin mariachi craziness super loud and kept trying to hand me beers...everyone was enjoying the crap outta themselves and i laughing hysterically whenever sarah or i said buenas noches...we were laughing at us, too...

"Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear.
and I wouldn't have
It any other way.
It's not enough.
I need more.
I don't want it.
I just need it.

anyway then we drive to the arena and FIND A PARKING SPOT super close (in NEW ORLEANS, what the hell?! super close and FREE is impossible...) and go to the box office and the evil bitch behind the counter refuses to sell us tickets!

Startling the fearful.
Otherwise I can't go on.
But I'm still right here

we had missed the opening bands which i was fine with, i know tool picks bands they think people should hear, but work/money/life prevented us from getting there sooner, my life's really just too insane right now...anyway, the bitch behind the window was like, "no, we stopped selling at 9," it was like 9:08, so me, sarah and an angry mob of 8 drunk/fucked up guys ("It's my fuckin BIRTHDAY, my BIRTHDAY, I need to see fuckin TOOOL, man") assaulted everyone with a badge and yelled for them to let us in, and for supervisors and they all ran away promising they'd return and never did, cops came and yelled at us, saying, "Call Tool and complain about it"

"Someone told me once
and that punishment
would come to those
But it must not be true
for jerk-offs like you.
and shoot you myself.*

so sarah and i were like fuck this, we seperated from the mob and walked around the back of the arena and paid some security folk $80 to let us in the catering entrance! we walked in like we owned the place talkin some shit about gourmet pizza and took the service elevator to the 3rd floor, walked onto the balcony, saw a special seating row of chairs with TWO EMPTIES and fuckin sat down

we had missed three songs (had heard them from outside, though) and the first song opening i actually heard was fuckin "lateralus" OHMYGOD, fuckin amazing

lets me see.

The "drum off" was fantastic, i adored every milisecond of that, i felt joy at every single moment of that show, i cannot believe how great tool has gotten at the audio/visuals meeting up at those fantastic seconds, god damn...tool can perform, i liked maynard's sexy cowboy hat, i feel he was pleased with us as an audience, he didn't turn; they played for a long time. just...god...fan fucking tastic preformance...eargsams...several eargasms...security sucks at the arena though

after the show we went to rock & bowl and watched a bunch of rich uptown new orleans white folks dance really badly but we had a great great time

And I still may.
Gonna wait it out."

like me,

l

Last edited by WhyteRabbit79; 11-20-2007 at 05:04 PM..
OFFLINE |  
insaner's Avatar insaner
11-20-2007, 09:56 PM

i believe the proper term is toolgasm.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #36
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

i believe the proper term is toolgasm.
OFFLINE |  
IMetDC
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=Subtle Shot;2257943]I was on the floor, on the railing in front of Adam.

Danny was laughing because the transam guy missed his cue to start playing, and danny had to recover for him. you kind of had to be watching for it i suppose.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

[QUOTE=Subtle Shot;2257943]I was on the floor, on the railing in front of Adam.

Danny was laughing because the transam guy missed his cue to start playing, and danny had to recover for him. you kind of had to be watching for it i suppose.
OFFLINE |  
bananarama
11-21-2007, 12:59 PM

Forgot to mention how absolutely fuckin' cool the projections on the stage / screens were during flood...It looked like real water :]
Old 11-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #38
Level 2 - Poster

Forgot to mention how absolutely fuckin' cool the projections on the stage / screens were during flood...It looked like real water :]
OFFLINE |  
jeremywize's Avatar jeremywize
11-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyteRabbit79 View Post
from this
Bull
shit
three
ring
circus
sideshow of
Freaks

"Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear.
and I wouldn't have
It any other way.
It's not enough.
I need more.
I don't want it.
I just need it.

Startling the fearful.
Otherwise I can't go on.
But I'm still right here

"Someone told me once
and that punishment
would come to those
But it must not be true
for jerk-offs like you.
and shoot you myself.*

lets me see.

And I still may.
Gonna wait it out."

like me,

l
DUDE SERIOUSLY, YOU'RE THE FUCKING MAN!! GREAT STORY!! LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyteRabbit79 View Post
from this
Bull
shit
three
ring
circus
sideshow of
Freaks

"Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear.
and I wouldn't have
It any other way.
It's not enough.
I need more.
I don't want it.
I just need it.

Startling the fearful.
Otherwise I can't go on.
But I'm still right here

"Someone told me once
and that punishment
would come to those
But it must not be true
for jerk-offs like you.
and shoot you myself.*

lets me see.

And I still may.
Gonna wait it out."

like me,

l
DUDE SERIOUSLY, YOU'RE THE FUCKING MAN!! GREAT STORY!! LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT
11-21-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleans View Post

I am somewhat on the same page as you my friend, first show was '93 lollapolooza second stage and you are right, has not been the same over the past few years, not much of a stage performance but the sound is still there. I have transformed myself from thinking I am going to see a "performance" to prepare myself to go get my chest beat down by Danny's drums, Justin's amazing work on the bass and just watching Adam do his amazing thing. Anything else to me is a treat. If Maynard gives up something to us during the set. I always enjoy, the dude is straight up funny. I have seen them all over the place, and like you, lost count a while ago but believe I am around 20 or so over the years. next time you go see them, if you do, try that approach, I go sober now and have for the past 4 or 5 years or so and I seem to enjoy it more now, I feel it more this way.
Take care my friend and don't loose faith, try a different approach and I hope it works for you as it did for me.
Jeremy
Old 11-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleans View Post

I am somewhat on the same page as you my friend, first show was '93 lollapolooza second stage and you are right, has not been the same over the past few years, not much of a stage performance but the sound is still there. I have transformed myself from thinking I am going to see a "performance" to prepare myself to go get my chest beat down by Danny's drums, Justin's amazing work on the bass and just watching Adam do his amazing thing. Anything else to me is a treat. If Maynard gives up something to us during the set. I always enjoy, the dude is straight up funny. I have seen them all over the place, and like you, lost count a while ago but believe I am around 20 or so over the years. next time you go see them, if you do, try that approach, I go sober now and have for the past 4 or 5 years or so and I seem to enjoy it more now, I feel it more this way.
Take care my friend and don't loose faith, try a different approach and I hope it works for you as it did for me.
Jeremy

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply