opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 04-28-2004, 05:24 AM   #121
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 430
Re: finally, i figured out the Lateralus Puzzle

Whilst dying within my maniacal laughter: Did TheAbstraction really write that?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:13 AM   #122
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuniabdoh
The song tracks on Lateralus all seem to have a message or emotion that they're trying to convey. So it would make sense that no matter how you arranged it would tell a story. I listened to the alternate track order. It sounded pretty good. Good enough to be intentional, but not good enough to replace old Lateralus. If you like it your way better then I suppose that's all that matters but it seems odd to start with something other than T&L or The Grudge.

1. The Grudge = forgiveness
3. The Patient = patience
5. Schism = communication
6. Parabol = realisation of unimportance of the body
7. Parabola = acceptance
8. Ticks & Leeches = digust for things that hold you back
9. Lateralis = lateral thinking, exploration
10. Disposition = peace
11. Reflection = unity
12. Triad = power, freedom
Would the story make more sense if T&L is track 1 and The Grudge track 2 or the other way around?

The would simply tell different stories right? Like if The Grudge is first and T&L is second would mean a will to forgive first, and then finding it's not that easy. Or whatever.

Adam said in the interview The Grudge came first, so the story is different. He also said that they shifted the songs around before deciding on the track order.

If there's no more to it than that, fine. What do i know? Random order, random meaning, random intent, if any. In that case i say Tool sure is whimsical and that we are doing a great job exploring the many other possibilites. Credits to Schismgrudge, and unfortunately not so many others. Oh and to tool of course.

Tuniabdoh, those are good interpretations, i gotta hand it to you. They might become useful keywords for building a quick story out of while fitting all the pieces together.

So little work for such a Great Work! I don't think Tool is so whimsical as us here. I know they are not.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #123
Level 7 - Loquacious

To kill the thread: Like I said
Lateralus is an unbiased album, in my opinion, and whatever order you play them in is the "correct" one--the message is whatever you get out of it, not what they put into it. Check the forum entrance; it's not about "what it means" but "what it means to me."
Old 04-29-2004, 02:39 PM   #124
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

Not many people agree that there is a specific alternative track order, but personally I think there is one. There is too many coincidences for me to not to think its intended. I don't know why they did it or what its purpose is (assuming its real/intended) but for me Lateralus just flows better that way. I like the way it sounds with Parabol as the leading track. I like the way many of the songs flow into each other this way, eg. T&L into Mantra is kinda nice. I also like to think of Mantra as a sort of cleansing song before Lateralus. The only part I find a bit choppy is The Grudge into Triad. I also like Disposition as the last song, it just seems fitting there.

But despite whether or not I like it, I still think its intentional.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:12 AM   #125
Level 7 - Loquacious

Disp/Refl/Triad remain as a unit if you're going to alter the track order. If you don't think there are coincidences, then their all being linked together by segues is not a coincidence, and they should be kept contiguous.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:26 PM   #126
reddish v3.0

Bincount™: 169

I realised what I meant before:

Each of the songs seems to represent a somewhat simple but abstract concept. If the album had three songs, one about how shitty life is, one about how good life is, and one about seeing the truth, it would make sense in different order for different people.

Guy who hates life:
1. song about how good life is
2. song about seeing the truth
3. song about how shitty life is

Guy who enjoys life:
1. song about how shitty life is
2. song about seeing the truth
3. song about how good life is

Guy who denies the existence of reality and spends all of his time high on LSD talking with aliens:
1. song about how good life is
2. song about how shitty life is
3. song about seeing the truth
Old 05-02-2004, 05:29 AM   #127
Level 7 - Loquacious

That last guy rocks
Old 05-06-2004, 03:17 AM   #128
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuniabdoh
I realised what I meant before:
Each of the songs seems to represent a somewhat simple but abstract concept.
I've thought about what you said...

Given only three different songs/concepts, there's 3 different stories.

Given (only) 13 different songs/concepts => mucho different stories.

What if Tool didn't want to tell 3.000.000 stories, nor just one.

There might be 3000000 different track orders and 3000000 different interviews of Adam Jones telling us how they made 30000000 track orders.

Why would it be so impossible for Tool to intend Two or three track orders? Just because there's so many? Because idea of hidden track order is really just distracting and pointless?

For all i know, they did the same stuff we do right here just to fool around. The difference is that they would Exclaim "HERE'S A SECRET TRACK ORDER" and another would say "NONSENSE THERE'S MILLIONS OF 'SECRET' TRACK ORDERS" in good jest. Here we accuse nonsense, because... well... because we're ignorant assholes looking for a vulnerable squirt to feed our egos on.

Machiavelli, check the forum entrance. This forum is about what it means to me AS WELL AS "what it Means". Nowhere does it say one should exclude the other. And i don't care if you get this thread is killed because it's futile to look for The Meaning right now, but i don't see how you can make that judgement call either unless you know something about Tool that you haven't told us yet.

Last edited by Atratus; 05-06-2004 at 03:20 AM..
Old 05-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #129
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atratus
Machiavelli, check the forum entrance. This forum is about what it means to me AS WELL AS "what it Means". Nowhere does it say one should exclude the other. And i don't care if you get this thread is killed because it's futile to look for The Meaning right now, but i don't see how you can make that judgement call either unless you know something about Tool that you haven't told us yet.
Touché, friend. Well played.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:06 PM   #130
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndEyeQuote
the total ignorance in this post is pretty suprising in a place that is so full of intelligence and free thinkers.

first i never attacked anyone who didnt want to try it, i simply stated you shouldnt judge something you havent seen - which you still havent which makes your comments all the more ignorant. if you dont want to try it fine - but dont speak then because you sound like a whinny child.

second - i do think its a coincandence - but you know what - WHO CARES? its still is quite awesome to watch - but someone as small minded as would post an attack at people that are discussing something that brings them enjoyment wouldnt understand that.

if you ever pull your head out of your ass long enough to try it out you may actually see what we mean - until then, this is what you sound like WAAA WAAA WAAAA

peace and be blessed...
ahhh, a-fucking-men. the guy that bashes other ppls ideas without trying them does not need to be here, nobody needs his bullshit and bringing people down. leave and never come back crow!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #131
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

*scratches head*
Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #132
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

As wise man once say "It ain't easy bein' cheesy"

Rate This Thread