opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » Disp/Refl/Triad
User Name
Password
Old 11-20-2002, 06:14 PM   #1
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 2912
ending every show

Hey everybody...I'm just wondering what all of you think about tool ending every show with d/r/t (followed by laterlus, of course). I think they could do so much more with that time. I would much rather hear Eulogy, Prison Sex, jimmy, Undertow...whatever. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I've seen them twice since lateralus came out and they played d/r/t at both shows. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great songs (or ONE great song, dependent upon how you look at it), but there are plenty of other things I would rather hear. Just a thought.

- Clint
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 06:22 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 92
I would love to hear older stuff just as much as anyone else, but it is sort of a Lateralus tour and you have to give the band credit - Those older songs got their dues on the previous tours.
I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Andy DV?"
Old 11-20-2002, 06:23 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
I dunno. I think Tool play it every show because it brings resolution to the night. There's also the part that it fucking rocks :). They could switch the setlists around more though, I agree, but that's at their discretion alone.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:12 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9
I think its perfect the way it is, it brings me at peace at the end of the night, capping of a truly spiritual night with the three and of course lateralus.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:04 AM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
If you had 4 songs that explained your perfect message, wouldnt you want those 4 songs played at the end of your show? They do a splendid job, and there is power in ritual. What's more, if they pound it in, maybe it will deprogram a few more people. Isn't the God head (Trinity) the top of the line? Why not cap off with the Godhead and then explain how to get there (Lateralus)? Tool have never really been interested in what people WANT to hear, they play what they think needs to be played. Ina sense, they don't even make the decision. Their spirits make the decision and the bodies just carry it out. That's integrity.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:16 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

They're concerts are supposed to be a healing experience (at least MJK says so) These songs do very well in that respect...the way Danny just doesn't stop at all. When they get into the climax of Triad, that's what you fellas should know is a Toolgasm.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:48 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

I have never been to a live Tool concert, but one day if I have chance to go to a Tool concert, I would be very disapointed to see that the "d/r/t" song is not on the list, and I'm sure that many people feel the same way.

Most reviews of concert state that this "song" is amazing and emotionnaly rich, the band probably knows it, and wants to give everyone this "experience".
Old 11-24-2002, 08:12 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I know, and when you have the guys in front of you moshing to it, and you think, 'What are they doing. Let me feel this.' Maybe those guys don't want to hear it, but I do, and the more I hear it, the more I want to hear it.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:33 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

after having seen them 3 times in the last year, i've gotta say, that i wouldnt mind if they just cut out everything from Opiate and Undertow, and just played Stinkfist, AEnima, 46&2, Pushit, Eulogy and H, then Lateralus in its entirety, but closing with those 3 songs and then Lateralus is REALLY good, in fact, this latest tour with Meshuggah its been even better, since they've had 3 guys playing the other stuff, and have just been kicking that song's ass, especially about the point that it hits Triad
Old 07-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47
Re: ending every show

Haha, the exact same arguments arise again this tour. I love it.

What the OP said is EXACTLY echoed with the Wings duo now.

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 07-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #11
On Probation

Bincount™: 55

God what i would pay to see them play that shit now.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham Asylum View Post
Haha, the exact same arguments arise again this tour. I love it.

What the OP said is EXACTLY echoed with the Wings duo now.
You think there's better stuff to play than Wings 1&2, eh? Examples?

+1 for reviving 5 year old threads!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkz View Post
You think there's better stuff to play than Wings 1&2, eh? Examples?

+1 for reviving 5 year old threads!
No, I'm fine with Wings. I was just pointing out how we still have the same complaints. In '02, some people were bitching about D/R/T. Now we know Tool's pretty much never playing that again. Right now, a TON of people are bitching about the Wings duo...unaware that Tool is probably never gonna play them again. Appreciate what you got, whether it's regarding Tool or regarding life.

I just love how far we've come since then. Bitching about setlists has become an art.

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 07-13-2007, 04:58 AM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
I never saw a single Wings for Marie/10,000 Days complaint in the reviews. Incidental.
I could have sworn I've seen at least a few. I think when it comes to reviews, people finally understand how powerful that duo is after experiencing it live.

But I am positive I've heard people complain about how "Tool could play like Eulogy AND Prison Sex AND Parabol/a instead of playing Wings for 20 minutes". People just need to get over it. Do I like other Tool songs over Wings? Yes, dozens of them. Would I trade Wings to hear something else? Hell no.....unless it was "Reflection" haha.

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I-git!

I rather hear Wings for Marie/10,000 Days then disposition/reflection/triad, prison sex, eulogy, parabola, uhm, it's my favourite song (Wings)....
I can definitely understand, to each his own.

Has Tool performed Wings in the Netherlands yet? Because if they haven't, you're in for QUITE the treat, McRoggles...

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 3

Most of Tool (at least from lateralus and 10000days, has many songs that are 2 in 1, or 3 in 1 as is the case for D/R/T. Wings is a very personal song for maynard, and ive seen it performed twice, and yes, it is a different mood all together, but oh my, after getting sucked in to the music, and letting ur mind wander, i cant see why people would not want it on the set list, its the only real slow song they play, and it definatly adds a nice touch to their shows. ( the lasers are amazing!!)
Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepott View Post
Most of Tool (at least from lateralus and 10000days, has many songs that are 2 in 1, or 3 in 1 as is the case for D/R/T. Wings is a very personal song for maynard, and ive seen it performed twice, and yes, it is a different mood all together, but oh my, after getting sucked in to the music, and letting ur mind wander, i cant see why people would not want it on the set list, its the only real slow song they play, and it definatly adds a nice touch to their shows. ( the lasers are amazing!!)
I was in a state of musical bliss throughout Wings 1+2 live.

Then the lasers came on.

Ohmyyesss......

That's the sound of my mind being blown.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

i hear that 100% but i think I would like to hear pushit ext., and H. more that wings1+2 but i definitly understand about maynard, hes my fav person ever, thast just what i would love, and these songs they're playing now, my take on them is that they are all emotional to each member and that the songs are still helping them get through stuff, like why they dont play most old stuff, becuz they're over the emotion in them
Old 07-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #19
A truant finds home
Suicide Booth ID: 6

Bincount™: 3436

Quote:
I never saw a single Wings for Marie/10,000 Days complaint in the reviews. Incidental.

I hear more moaning about Rosetta Stoned.

Back then Lateralus was a hoax !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Truant
Wing 1&2: I don't like these songs, and seeing them live didn't change my opinion. The drumming is very cool and the bass has some good grooves but the guitar work is shoddy and the lyrics do nothing for me. I spent the time smoking another joint and looking at the pretty lasers.
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...69#post1998769

many people don't like the songs, including myself. Personally I think they're the shittiest most pretentious of all Tool songs while D/R/T are the best things Tool has ever done (especially Triad with a guest drummer). I think that the placement of Wings was badly done too, because it ruins the momentum of the show.
Sorry, I should clarify. I ment that either way their concerts are far too long for a terrible faux-prog metal nu-rock airhead shitwank boy-band, and that they should be banned from palying music altogether. - mope
Old 07-31-2007, 12:03 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

I completely disagree. Wings 1 & 2 seem to be when people are the most quiet. People are just soaking in the music. I've said this many times before and for some reason people don't believe me, but Tool plays for themselves. There's no button under your seats you press to choose which songs you want to hear. On the other hand Tool certainly throws the fans a bone from time to time, and that's really fucking cool. For instance this tour the bones thrown to the whining fans were Sober, Opiate, Swamp Song, Flood, and Pushit. But the fans keep whining. This is why they just do what they want to.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post
But the fans keep whining. This is why they just do what they want to.
I love you, Cheese.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

d/r/t closing all those shows was amazing, utterly amazing and I wont ever forget just how impacting hearing those three songs was on me.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: