Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
MartyV's Avatar MartyV
05-05-2006, 05:49 AM

I believe that pretty much anyone can relate to this song. I've seen my share of people who have been in the fire of tragedy and torment for 10,000 days and more. Some of them from an accident and some from self loathing and the refusal to realize that with age comes growth. At some point we have to realize that decisions we make will affect the rest of our live and those who love us. My godfather was a great person, one who could make even the worst of situations seem fine. He was also an addict, and that is what ultimately caused his death. His soul was tormented and now he finally has his wings
Old 05-05-2006, 05:49 AM   #41
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: How do you relate?

I believe that pretty much anyone can relate to this song. I've seen my share of people who have been in the fire of tragedy and torment for 10,000 days and more. Some of them from an accident and some from self loathing and the refusal to realize that with age comes growth. At some point we have to realize that decisions we make will affect the rest of our live and those who love us. My godfather was a great person, one who could make even the worst of situations seem fine. He was also an addict, and that is what ultimately caused his death. His soul was tormented and now he finally has his wings
05-05-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSYCHOtHErAPIST
I

I'm a Lutheran, and we were always told that God isn't a personal assistant to answer yes to all you ask for. all prayers are answered. only some are answered with a "yes".
There was a quote (Im not going to say from where because you may think that it has no credibility) but it says "It's not easy being God. If you do too much people become dependent on you, but if you do too little people forsake you. You have to do just enough to where it looks like you haven't done anything at all.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #42
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSYCHOtHErAPIST
I

I'm a Lutheran, and we were always told that God isn't a personal assistant to answer yes to all you ask for. all prayers are answered. only some are answered with a "yes".
There was a quote (Im not going to say from where because you may think that it has no credibility) but it says "It's not easy being God. If you do too much people become dependent on you, but if you do too little people forsake you. You have to do just enough to where it looks like you haven't done anything at all.
05-05-2006, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia
I know some of you will think this is kind of lame but I thought it would be nice to start a thread where people could write about how they relate to the subject of this song (and Judith and Orestes for that matter). I know that these songs really helped me to get through the hard time I am having with my nana and I thought other people might benefit from hearing how others have gone through similar situation.
just as a note I am kinda pissed. I just wrote another sincere comment on this thread and just before I clicked submit reply the browser closed, i guess of its on volition. Hmph, machines. Anyway what I was going to say was...

I have been lucky enough to not have had anything tragic happen to any of family members, but in some ways I feel like I can relate. This is impart because I think one of the things Tool does so much better than other bands is abstracting emotion (not just lyrically but musically as well). Almost every concert of theirs I have gone to or seen online Maynard has asked the audience to remember the feelings and emotions they have shared that night. I am majoring in english and philosophy and one thing I love is existentialism's emphasis on human emotions as integral in empowering our life to having a meaning. I think the empowerment of emotions is so important in Tool's music. For example the band used to say that their name was chosen because they wanted to be a tool for people to understand lachrymology through, which is a made up philosophy that claims that crying and emotional release is theraputic and that coming to terms with these emotions empowers individuals. In this way I think one can speak about relating to this song in almost any way. Themes of anger, sadness, understanding, closure, hope are all tied in this song. The one thing I don't see is despair. Maynard seems, although possibly scared and sad, seems to be coming to terms in this song. The empowering invigeration of lines like "its my time now" and "judith marie, unconditional one" remind me of that cathartic feeling once one does come to terms with whatever has tormented them and overcome despair. I can not seem to stop listening to this song for this reason. Another time I might get in to the details of turmoils that music like this has helped me through, but for now I would rather not. I hope everyone else can feel even a fraction of the positive and life affirming climaxes that I feel when I listen to this song because it is awe inspiring.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #43
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:
I know some of you will think this is kind of lame but I thought it would be nice to start a thread where people could write about how they relate to the subject of this song (and Judith and Orestes for that matter). I know that these songs really helped me to get through the hard time I am having with my nana and I thought other people might benefit from hearing how others have gone through similar situation.
just as a note I am kinda pissed. I just wrote another sincere comment on this thread and just before I clicked submit reply the browser closed, i guess of its on volition. Hmph, machines. Anyway what I was going to say was...

I have been lucky enough to not have had anything tragic happen to any of family members, but in some ways I feel like I can relate. This is impart because I think one of the things Tool does so much better than other bands is abstracting emotion (not just lyrically but musically as well). Almost every concert of theirs I have gone to or seen online Maynard has asked the audience to remember the feelings and emotions they have shared that night. I am majoring in english and philosophy and one thing I love is existentialism's emphasis on human emotions as integral in empowering our life to having a meaning. I think the empowerment of emotions is so important in Tool's music. For example the band used to say that their name was chosen because they wanted to be a tool for people to understand lachrymology through, which is a made up philosophy that claims that crying and emotional release is theraputic and that coming to terms with these emotions empowers individuals. In this way I think one can speak about relating to this song in almost any way. Themes of anger, sadness, understanding, closure, hope are all tied in this song. The one thing I don't see is despair. Maynard seems, although possibly scared and sad, seems to be coming to terms in this song. The empowering invigeration of lines like "its my time now" and "judith marie, unconditional one" remind me of that cathartic feeling once one does come to terms with whatever has tormented them and overcome despair. I can not seem to stop listening to this song for this reason. Another time I might get in to the details of turmoils that music like this has helped me through, but for now I would rather not. I hope everyone else can feel even a fraction of the positive and life affirming climaxes that I feel when I listen to this song because it is awe inspiring.
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
05-08-2006, 01:32 PM

I haven't had any experiences close to the ones mentioned here. But the song made me appreciate everything more. Friends, family, life in general. I had a little tear first time. But now its just a reminder of how precious everything is. It definatly put my priorities right.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #44
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

I haven't had any experiences close to the ones mentioned here. But the song made me appreciate everything more. Friends, family, life in general. I had a little tear first time. But now its just a reminder of how precious everything is. It definatly put my priorities right.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
martyrinexile86
05-08-2006, 04:52 PM

A couple years ago my grandmother was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) which is basically a gradual detioration of the muscles over time. I remember when it started she used to just fall alot inexplicably, and then it got to the point where she could no longer walk at all, and towards the end couldn't even talk. I remember when me, my dad, and my uncle were over at her house, and I can't remember what happened, but they had to call the hospital. Sitting there having to see her be loaded into the ambulance is something that for as long as I'm on this earth I'll never forget. She died in so much pain, stripped of any semblance of dignity. Although she had a tendancy to be quite cold at times, no-one deserves to die like that. All the same, I hope she's recieved her wings for all she had to endure while on this planet.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 12

A couple years ago my grandmother was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) which is basically a gradual detioration of the muscles over time. I remember when it started she used to just fall alot inexplicably, and then it got to the point where she could no longer walk at all, and towards the end couldn't even talk. I remember when me, my dad, and my uncle were over at her house, and I can't remember what happened, but they had to call the hospital. Sitting there having to see her be loaded into the ambulance is something that for as long as I'm on this earth I'll never forget. She died in so much pain, stripped of any semblance of dignity. Although she had a tendancy to be quite cold at times, no-one deserves to die like that. All the same, I hope she's recieved her wings for all she had to endure while on this planet.
05-08-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyrinexile86
Read Tuesdays With Morrie by mitch album if you haven't already. Great work of art.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:24 PM   #46
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyrinexile86
Read Tuesdays With Morrie by mitch album if you haven't already. Great work of art.
05-08-2006, 05:37 PM

yeah I've heard that book is really good, my dad tried to get me to read it, but I never got around to it.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #47
Level 8 - Vociferous

yeah I've heard that book is really good, my dad tried to get me to read it, but I never got around to it.
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM

you really should. it made me re-think my life. Morrie Schwartz was a genuine good person and I try to model myself (somewhat unsuccessfully) after him.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

you really should. it made me re-think my life. Morrie Schwartz was a genuine good person and I try to model myself (somewhat unsuccessfully) after him.
05-09-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodydecember
I really appreciate the suggestion, thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #49
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I really appreciate the suggestion, thanks.
05-10-2006, 05:03 PM

There's a movie that came out a while later that was, oddly enough, promoted by Oprah. You dont get the same experience that you do reading it but I think it does a pretty good job of portraying the book, that is if you want to save some time or dont enjoy reading that much.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #50
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

There's a movie that came out a while later that was, oddly enough, promoted by Oprah. You dont get the same experience that you do reading it but I think it does a pretty good job of portraying the book, that is if you want to save some time or dont enjoy reading that much.
05-11-2006, 08:43 AM

No, like most, I find watching the movie to be no substitute for reading the book. Personally I read alot. Reading Animal Farm right now, pretty damn good.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #51
Level 8 - Vociferous

No, like most, I find watching the movie to be no substitute for reading the book. Personally I read alot. Reading Animal Farm right now, pretty damn good.
05-19-2006, 09:37 AM

Yeah, I think the only time I've ever had a better experience with the movie is LOTR. Other than that I would agree for the most part. I still say that the movie for tuesdays with morrie is admirable.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #52
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yeah, I think the only time I've ever had a better experience with the movie is LOTR. Other than that I would agree for the most part. I still say that the movie for tuesdays with morrie is admirable.
05-21-2006, 11:47 AM

Yeah the LOTR series gets a little bloated and tedious from a literary standpoint. It still goes down as the single longest book I've ever read, took me a couple months.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #53
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah the LOTR series gets a little bloated and tedious from a literary standpoint. It still goes down as the single longest book I've ever read, took me a couple months.
05-21-2006, 11:47 AM

Thought the films were very well done however.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #54
Level 8 - Vociferous

Thought the films were very well done however.
05-22-2006, 08:27 PM

I relate to this song because of my best friend. She was a hardcore Tool fan as well. She was in an accident and was in a coma and then ultimately, a vegetative state for 4 months. Her death was horrible but she didn't deserve to be in the position she was in. She's not suffering anymore and that's what ultimately matters more than not having her here with me. This song has affected me more than I can describe in words and I thank them for that. This is why they have meant so much to me and always will. I don't usually write personal things like this but I must say that I'm glad there are other people who can relate to his story as well as mine. It's somewhat comforting. :)
Old 05-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #55
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 343

I relate to this song because of my best friend. She was a hardcore Tool fan as well. She was in an accident and was in a coma and then ultimately, a vegetative state for 4 months. Her death was horrible but she didn't deserve to be in the position she was in. She's not suffering anymore and that's what ultimately matters more than not having her here with me. This song has affected me more than I can describe in words and I thank them for that. This is why they have meant so much to me and always will. I don't usually write personal things like this but I must say that I'm glad there are other people who can relate to his story as well as mine. It's somewhat comforting. :)
05-23-2006, 10:16 AM

This song is by far the most personal song tool has ever written, it hits so close to home. My grandmother died May 4th 2001. Right around the time of Lateralus. 10,000 days was released 2 days before the 5 year mark of her death. She was by far the most important person in my life, and a firm believer in the god of Abraham. I am not a believer. She raised me and we were quite close. When she was first diagnosed with Cancer, as she was sleeping in her hospital bed (at this time there was still a chance that she could live) and this preacher came offering to pray for her and the family. I exploded. I couldn't believe this black clad vulture would have the nerve to come hovering around my grandmother as if she were already gone, salivating at the chance for her soul. I told him to shove his fucking god up his ass, and if he didn't get stepping promptly I would show him the difference between the quick and the dead. I'm glad my grandma was asleep during this tirade. Anyway, lateralus was a huge part of my healing process, but when I first realized what Wings 1 & 2 were about, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I simply couldn't believe what I was hearing; I balled like a baby. It is surreal how this event in Maynards life parallels my own life. I will forever hear the lyrics as:
You were my witness,
My eyes, my evidence
Ruth Irene, unconditional one.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #56
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

This song is by far the most personal song tool has ever written, it hits so close to home. My grandmother died May 4th 2001. Right around the time of Lateralus. 10,000 days was released 2 days before the 5 year mark of her death. She was by far the most important person in my life, and a firm believer in the god of Abraham. I am not a believer. She raised me and we were quite close. When she was first diagnosed with Cancer, as she was sleeping in her hospital bed (at this time there was still a chance that she could live) and this preacher came offering to pray for her and the family. I exploded. I couldn't believe this black clad vulture would have the nerve to come hovering around my grandmother as if she were already gone, salivating at the chance for her soul. I told him to shove his fucking god up his ass, and if he didn't get stepping promptly I would show him the difference between the quick and the dead. I'm glad my grandma was asleep during this tirade. Anyway, lateralus was a huge part of my healing process, but when I first realized what Wings 1 & 2 were about, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I simply couldn't believe what I was hearing; I balled like a baby. It is surreal how this event in Maynards life parallels my own life. I will forever hear the lyrics as:
You were my witness,
My eyes, my evidence
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
05-23-2006, 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=Lily17]I relate to this song because of my best friend. She was a hardcore Tool fan as well. She was in an accident and was in a coma and then ultimately, a vegetative state for 4 months. Her death was horrible but she didn't deserve to be in the position she was in. She's not suffering anymore and that's what ultimately matters more than not having her here with me. This song has affected me more than I can describe in words and I thank them for that. This is why they have meant so much to me and always will. I don't usually write personal things like this but I must say that I'm glad there are other people who can relate to his story as well as mine. It's somewhat comforting. :)[/QUOTE

Ugh, for some reason I hate hearing car accident stories. I guess maybe because they are so sudden and change things so very fast. I had a similar situation with an ex boyfriend, he didn't end up dying but he was paralyzed, etc. for 2 years. It was AWFUL to watch! I can't imagine loosing a bestfriend that way. That must have been so hard!
Old 05-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #57
Level 7 - Loquacious

[QUOTE=Lily17]I relate to this song because of my best friend. She was a hardcore Tool fan as well. She was in an accident and was in a coma and then ultimately, a vegetative state for 4 months. Her death was horrible but she didn't deserve to be in the position she was in. She's not suffering anymore and that's what ultimately matters more than not having her here with me. This song has affected me more than I can describe in words and I thank them for that. This is why they have meant so much to me and always will. I don't usually write personal things like this but I must say that I'm glad there are other people who can relate to his story as well as mine. It's somewhat comforting. :)[/QUOTE

Ugh, for some reason I hate hearing car accident stories. I guess maybe because they are so sudden and change things so very fast. I had a similar situation with an ex boyfriend, he didn't end up dying but he was paralyzed, etc. for 2 years. It was AWFUL to watch! I can't imagine loosing a bestfriend that way. That must have been so hard!
05-23-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dharma Bum
this preacher came offering to pray for her and the family. I exploded. I couldn't believe this black clad vulture would have the nerve to come hovering around my grandmother as if she were already gone, salivating at the chance for her soul.
Beautifully written! It takes guts to admit you had this thought, I had a very similar thought but was almost scared to admit it. Crazy isn't it? Well, you can take comfort in the fact that this was not the imagery the preacher brought to your grandmother... to her it wasn probably very peaceful and comforting.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #58
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
this preacher came offering to pray for her and the family. I exploded. I couldn't believe this black clad vulture would have the nerve to come hovering around my grandmother as if she were already gone, salivating at the chance for her soul.
Beautifully written! It takes guts to admit you had this thought, I had a very similar thought but was almost scared to admit it. Crazy isn't it? Well, you can take comfort in the fact that this was not the imagery the preacher brought to your grandmother... to her it wasn probably very peaceful and comforting.
bloodydecember's Avatar bloodydecember
05-23-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
You were my witness,
My eyes, my evidence
please dont take this the wrong way but it made my night reading this. I probably would have reacted the same way. It really disgusts me when they try to pray for their God to heal this person that is inches away from death. The day that that happens is the day I become a believer and after losing two grandparents to cancer and have a preacher try that both times, i dont see that happening any time soon...
Old 05-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #59
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
You were my witness,
My eyes, my evidence
please dont take this the wrong way but it made my night reading this. I probably would have reacted the same way. It really disgusts me when they try to pray for their God to heal this person that is inches away from death. The day that that happens is the day I become a believer and after losing two grandparents to cancer and have a preacher try that both times, i dont see that happening any time soon...
05-24-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Looks like we were thinking along the same lines. Yes, it is an incredibly beautiful CD, particularly Wings (1&2)
Nice thread! wings and 10,000 days have helped me soooooooo much! I lost my mother to a masive brain anurisum (uncertain of spelling) May 10, 2005. delt with alot scence then.... she was deep into religion! had alot of faith.. She was raised as a catholic, so was very devoted to god! Then she explored budda...she would chant to her gohanzan and then say a rosery.... She'll have a piece of the divine! Tool is like medicine! Give me one more peacefull medicated moment!!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #60
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Looks like we were thinking along the same lines. Yes, it is an incredibly beautiful CD, particularly Wings (1&2)
Nice thread! wings and 10,000 days have helped me soooooooo much! I lost my mother to a masive brain anurisum (uncertain of spelling) May 10, 2005. delt with alot scence then.... she was deep into religion! had alot of faith.. She was raised as a catholic, so was very devoted to god! Then she explored budda...she would chant to her gohanzan and then say a rosery.... She'll have a piece of the divine! Tool is like medicine! Give me one more peacefull medicated moment!!
05-24-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Ashley
Give me one more peacefull medicated moment!!
Wow, deja vu! I just changed my away message on AIM to that today. Weird...

Sorry, a little off track. As you were...
Old 05-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #61
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Give me one more peacefull medicated moment!!
Wow, deja vu! I just changed my away message on AIM to that today. Weird...

Sorry, a little off track. As you were...
05-24-2006, 10:12 PM

Really powerful stories, really iīm touched by some. This might sound lame as i canīt relate as many of you, but this is how i do. It reminds me a lot of my exgirlfriend. She saved me after two suicide attempts, and kept me from probably a succesful one. Really dramatic experiences. She took me to a hospital unconscious and with my wrists bleeding IN A CAB, cause she doesnt have a car. The other one was worse. She have really bad things in her, but with me she was really devoute, caring and loving. And yet we are away now.
"she didnīt had a life, didnīt had a life, but surely saved one" She saved mine... twice.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

Really powerful stories, really iīm touched by some. This might sound lame as i canīt relate as many of you, but this is how i do. It reminds me a lot of my exgirlfriend. She saved me after two suicide attempts, and kept me from probably a succesful one. Really dramatic experiences. She took me to a hospital unconscious and with my wrists bleeding IN A CAB, cause she doesnt have a car. The other one was worse. She have really bad things in her, but with me she was really devoute, caring and loving. And yet we are away now.
"she didnīt had a life, didnīt had a life, but surely saved one" She saved mine... twice.
toolmaul
05-24-2006, 10:20 PM

I know this doesn't sound as painful to some, but a month ago I had to puit my 15 year old dog down. oughest thing I've ever had to do, shit I got her when I was ten, I hardly remember not having her. This song touched me, but being an athiest, and her being a dog, I can't speak for her beliefs, not that she had any. suprisingly though Eulogy hit me really hard a few days days after I put her down. The goodbye at the end broke me down.
Still my favorite song on the album and one of my favorite Tool songs, increadibly emotional.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:20 PM   #63
Level 4 - Thinker

I know this doesn't sound as painful to some, but a month ago I had to puit my 15 year old dog down. oughest thing I've ever had to do, shit I got her when I was ten, I hardly remember not having her. This song touched me, but being an athiest, and her being a dog, I can't speak for her beliefs, not that she had any. suprisingly though Eulogy hit me really hard a few days days after I put her down. The goodbye at the end broke me down.
Still my favorite song on the album and one of my favorite Tool songs, increadibly emotional.
thomasknight
05-24-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Futurama?
Very credible - latest seasons are some of the best stuff from the states at the moment
Old 05-24-2006, 11:06 PM   #64
On Probation

Bincount™: 155

Quote:
Futurama?
Very credible - latest seasons are some of the best stuff from the states at the moment
05-25-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaul
No dude, putting my dog of 12 years down was one of the HARDEST things I EVER had to do. I think it is so hard because animals tend to give you UNCONDITIONAL love, which is so hard to find. They are innocent and free of all of the issues us humans have. It's also sad because a lot of people that have faith in "heavan" may not feel that pets have sould that live on for eternity in bliss. It feels like a true end, which hits hard!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #65
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaul
No dude, putting my dog of 12 years down was one of the HARDEST things I EVER had to do. I think it is so hard because animals tend to give you UNCONDITIONAL love, which is so hard to find. They are innocent and free of all of the issues us humans have. It's also sad because a lot of people that have faith in "heavan" may not feel that pets have sould that live on for eternity in bliss. It feels like a true end, which hits hard!
05-25-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-born
It's a nightmare living when you don't love yourself or life very much. Luckily for you, she seems like a great person. I really hope you are in a better place now.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #66
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-born
It's a nightmare living when you don't love yourself or life very much. Luckily for you, she seems like a great person. I really hope you are in a better place now.
05-25-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Sorry about your mother, that was so recent too. :( Tool is DEFINITELY powerful medicine.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #67
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Sorry about your mother, that was so recent too. :( Tool is DEFINITELY powerful medicine.
05-26-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasknight
Futurama?
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #68
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasknight
Futurama?
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply