opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate » 6. Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #41
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310
Re: sound of phone ringing?

RLY?

i thought it was the other one.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #42
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
RLY?

i thought it was the other one.
Don't confuse me Iota - you know it doesn't take much!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #43
Banned.

lol

it's ok to be confused. it's the 21st century.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

yea..its a phone.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PShepherd11 View Post
Does anyone hear the sound of a phone ringing twice in this song around 4:45 to 4:50?
It is a fact that they put that there intentionally to confuse us. Tool likes to fool around with our minds.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #46
Level 11 - Moogle (tdn $upporter)

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature
Bincount™: 694

I know. I just wanted to know if anyone else heard it without having to read the FAQ first.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #47
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I think I know why the phone also rings in Vicarious. The meaning of it is that TV is also, like religion, an "opiate for the masses/people/society". Honestly, how many people in western society ever live for a week or even a day without TV.
Personally, I try to watch as less TV as possible and try to live my own life and make it interesting without TV, although I do watch movies, but mostly on my computer.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #48
Banned.

i think you're on to something here. Yes. TV and religion as opiates. Of course.

Last edited by DON IOTAE; 07-24-2007 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: my post is not ironic or sarcastic.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu View Post
I think I know why the phone also rings in Vicarious. The meaning of it is that TV is also, like religion, an "opiate for the masses/people/society". Honestly, how many people in western society ever live for a week or even a day without TV.
Personally, I try to watch as less TV as possible and try to live my own life and make it interesting without TV, although I do watch movies, but mostly on my computer.
You feel watching movies on your computer screen is somehow different from watching them on a TV screen?
You need help dude.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #50

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature

I don't have cable service, we have no channels at all. We are definitely in the minority. People think we're crazy for this, but I think we're better off.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:06 AM   #51
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Yehti View Post
You feel watching movies on your computer screen is somehow different from watching them on a TV screen?
You need help dude.
the experience is definitely different. Watching TV, you can spend hours just zapping through... whereas movies, you either watch the whole movie or find something better to do...
Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #52
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Yehti View Post
You need help dude.
Well, when I try to watch a movie on TV, there are all these stupid commercials in between. Personally, I'd rather call them propaganda, because these commercials do in fact give us a false view of reality. For example; usually in commercials, the people are more attractive or good-looking than the avarage people you see walking on the street, so that the commercial looks nice.
Now what Tool tries to tell us, I think, is that ugly people are just as important as good-looking people. Nobody can say they're better than someone else. People tend to ignore ugly people or not view them as people. Maybe that's one of the reasons they show this picture of an extremely obesed woman in the Undertow booklet.

So, it is different...!!!

p.s...sorry for these long stories, but I guess I like writing about this stuff.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #53
Level 8 - Vociferous

The phone in Opiate to me says...."God is calling". Danny's drumming being the voice of God in this particular instance and the phone being...well....the call...

How that would relate to Vicarious...I'd have to call God to find out...

Its actually how Tool attains more longetivity for their albums. They put stuff like this in it so you always think the phone is ringing and immediately turn the music down. Then the phone stops ringing so you turn it back up and so on. This way, Tool gets to take plenty of time off because after 2 or 3 years most people still haven't gotten to the end of the record. By the way, has anyone heard the tracks after Opiate? My stupid phone keeps ringing!

On a serious note, I know a guy that returned 23 record players to Sears before he realized that Useful Idiot was an actual track. He fell in love with 46&2 when he finally heard it last week.

Last edited by gjamison27; 09-12-2007 at 10:08 AM..
Old 09-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamison27 View Post
On a serious note, I know a guy that returned 23 record players to Sears before he realized that Useful Idiot was an actual track. He fell in love with 46&2 when he finally heard it last week.
That guy's an idiot.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #55
Banned.

where the fuck have you been?

hi, ps
Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamison27 View Post
The phone in Opiate to me says...."God is calling". Danny's drumming being the voice of God in this particular instance and the phone being...well....the call...

How that would relate to Vicarious...I'd have to call God to find out...

Its actually how Tool attains more longetivity for their albums. They put stuff like this in it so you always think the phone is ringing and immediately turn the music down. Then the phone stops ringing so you turn it back up and so on. This way, Tool gets to take plenty of time off because after 2 or 3 years most people still haven't gotten to the end of the record. By the way, has anyone heard the tracks after Opiate? My stupid phone keeps ringing!

No offense you guys, but the phone thing was a gag! Tool imagined it would be so funny if you put on some headphones and sat down to relax while listening to Opiate then all of a sudden you think you hear the phone ringing and you leap up, throw off the headphones, and dash to the phone. Cumon you guys!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #57

Don't be an ass. When I started this thread, I knew they did it to fuck with people. I know it's in the FAQ. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF OTHER PEOPLE NOTICED IT.

Hi Iota. I haven't had much time to sign onto here lately. How's the baby?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #58
Level 8 - Vociferous

No really, it is God calling. He wanted to say hello and see if he could do a cameo on the album. Maynard told him he was a little upset with him since they haven't talked in like 2000 years. God was sorry but said he has his reasons, etc. So Maynard told him that he happened to call as they were recording so the best he could do is put the ringing from his call on during the song, but that was it. God was like, well, that's cool I guess, I'd appreciate it, I'm a huge fan. He then asked how Satan was doing and they played catch up for about 6 minutes or so and there you have it.

Now you cumon...
Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #59
Banned.

baby's great. check out the 730 thread for a pic...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: