Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Artwork
User Name
Password
Blanket_509's Avatar Blanket_509
05-02-2006, 08:06 PM

So I was playing around in photoshop and succeeded in creating a simple stereoscopic design that can be viewed on the computer screen. Use the goggles from your Tool album and get about 4-6 inches away from the screen for best results...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/3d.jpg
Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Fun with stereoscopic imagery...

So I was playing around in photoshop and succeeded in creating a simple stereoscopic design that can be viewed on the computer screen. Use the goggles from your Tool album and get about 4-6 inches away from the screen for best results...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/3d.jpg
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
randomhero8823's Avatar randomhero8823
05-02-2006, 08:10 PM

i cant get it to work
Old 05-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657
Re: Fun with stereoscopic imagery...

i cant get it to work
randomhero8823's Avatar randomhero8823
05-02-2006, 08:10 PM

ok now i do!!! cool
Old 05-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657

ok now i do!!! cool
05-02-2006, 09:17 PM

im working on another one with the same theme...its coming out pretty cool, stay tuned.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #4

im working on another one with the same theme...its coming out pretty cool, stay tuned.
05-03-2006, 12:05 AM

here's it is...my balls are here for your enjoyment.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/balls.html

Don't use the goggles for this one...just sit about 2 feet back from your screen and unfocus your eyes.

Man I'v got to stop working on these things, my eyes are becoming permanently crossed...and I'm developing a permanent headache.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 AM   #5

here's it is...my balls are here for your enjoyment.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/balls.html

Don't use the goggles for this one...just sit about 2 feet back from your screen and unfocus your eyes.

Man I'v got to stop working on these things, my eyes are becoming permanently crossed...and I'm developing a permanent headache.
Lost Keys's Avatar Lost Keys
05-03-2006, 01:15 AM

haha! I like the first one. what did you do in PS? change some channel values and such?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #6

Bincount™: 3

haha! I like the first one. what did you do in PS? change some channel values and such?
schmeng's Avatar schmeng
05-03-2006, 01:16 AM

man, that hurts my eyes
Old 05-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #7

Bincount™: 4

man, that hurts my eyes
05-03-2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Keys

looking at the pictures in the album art I realized that if you want an object to appear in the foreground, then the image on the right must show that object slightly off to the left relative to everything else in the picture. So knowling that, all i did was slightly adjust the placement of the objects relative to one another (and between left anf right images) to match their placement in 3d space.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:26 AM   #8

Quote:

looking at the pictures in the album art I realized that if you want an object to appear in the foreground, then the image on the right must show that object slightly off to the left relative to everything else in the picture. So knowling that, all i did was slightly adjust the placement of the objects relative to one another (and between left anf right images) to match their placement in 3d space.
05-03-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanket_509

I see. so you basically crossed your eyes and moved the image over to the next one untill it 'matched' up? I bet there is away to adjust the lighting or beveal the pic some how then change a vew hue values to each picture to the corresponding properties of the right or left eye. right said is red and left is blue? i forget.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:35 AM   #9

Quote:

I see. so you basically crossed your eyes and moved the image over to the next one untill it 'matched' up? I bet there is away to adjust the lighting or beveal the pic some how then change a vew hue values to each picture to the corresponding properties of the right or left eye. right said is red and left is blue? i forget.
05-03-2006, 04:59 AM

Quote:
you've sort of got it. There are 2 variables that must be matched up for it to work properly. One is how far apart the images are. If they are too far apart, it will be difficult to focus (the farther apart, the more your eyes strain, the bigger the headache), but if they are too close together there isn't enough room for the compound image in the middle (the 3d image you see when you let your eyes go out of focus). The other variable is the placement of the objects within each picture, relative to one another. So for example, let's say you want a 3d picture of 2 squares overlapping. You start with one image of 2 squares - one on top of the other. The goal of the project is to make it look as if the first square is on top of the second square with space in between. In order to do this you would place the first image (of both squares) on the left side of the page. You then want an almost exact duplicate on the right side of the page. The only difference is going to be the foreground square's position in relation to the background square. Specifically, the foreground square of the picture on the right must be positioned slightly more left in relation to the background square than it is in the picture on the left. That is how you get the depth. It wouldnt work if you were to just move the exact same image over until it "matched up"...you would get a single image, but it would be missing that sense of depth. I know thats a mouthfull. It's hard to explain without actually showing you visually.

If you take a look at this one, it is more obvious. You can see that the objects within each picture are positioned a bit differently with respect to one another. Check out the angles...you'll see what I mean.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/a2.jpg

Also, try looking at two things in the room with one eye closed. Then look at the same two things with the other eye. See how they shift relative to one another? This is because since your eyes are a few inches apart, they see the same things from slightly different angles (your eyes send two slightly different images to your brain). This would be extremely disorienting, but luckily our brains have the ability to put them together into one image creating depth perception in the process. A stereophonic image is really the same scene captured from 2 slightly different angles (like our eyes), so when you match them up with your eyes, your brain thinks that it is receiving two different images of a 3 dimensional environment - one from each eye. Your brain then carries out its function of putting those 2 images together to make 1 creating depth in the process.

I'm sure that there are limitless possibilities with artwork like this. You could probably spend years playing with stuff like color and shading to get cool effects.

Last edited by Blanket_509; 05-03-2006 at 05:03 AM..
Old 05-03-2006, 04:59 AM   #10

Quote:
you've sort of got it. There are 2 variables that must be matched up for it to work properly. One is how far apart the images are. If they are too far apart, it will be difficult to focus (the farther apart, the more your eyes strain, the bigger the headache), but if they are too close together there isn't enough room for the compound image in the middle (the 3d image you see when you let your eyes go out of focus). The other variable is the placement of the objects within each picture, relative to one another. So for example, let's say you want a 3d picture of 2 squares overlapping. You start with one image of 2 squares - one on top of the other. The goal of the project is to make it look as if the first square is on top of the second square with space in between. In order to do this you would place the first image (of both squares) on the left side of the page. You then want an almost exact duplicate on the right side of the page. The only difference is going to be the foreground square's position in relation to the background square. Specifically, the foreground square of the picture on the right must be positioned slightly more left in relation to the background square than it is in the picture on the left. That is how you get the depth. It wouldnt work if you were to just move the exact same image over until it "matched up"...you would get a single image, but it would be missing that sense of depth. I know thats a mouthfull. It's hard to explain without actually showing you visually.

If you take a look at this one, it is more obvious. You can see that the objects within each picture are positioned a bit differently with respect to one another. Check out the angles...you'll see what I mean.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/a2.jpg

Also, try looking at two things in the room with one eye closed. Then look at the same two things with the other eye. See how they shift relative to one another? This is because since your eyes are a few inches apart, they see the same things from slightly different angles (your eyes send two slightly different images to your brain). This would be extremely disorienting, but luckily our brains have the ability to put them together into one image creating depth perception in the process. A stereophonic image is really the same scene captured from 2 slightly different angles (like our eyes), so when you match them up with your eyes, your brain thinks that it is receiving two different images of a 3 dimensional environment - one from each eye. Your brain then carries out its function of putting those 2 images together to make 1 creating depth in the process.

I'm sure that there are limitless possibilities with artwork like this. You could probably spend years playing with stuff like color and shading to get cool effects.

Last edited by Blanket_509; 05-03-2006 at 05:03 AM..
05-06-2006, 03:12 AM

Quote:
If you take a look at this one, it is more obvious. You can see that the objects within each picture are positioned a bit differently with respect to one another. Check out the angles...you'll see what I mean.http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/a2.jpg
man that is really something. I see how it's angled slightly to the left. just trying to understand how it stands out as it does. with the stick in the foreground and spheres falling back. the feather is good start for me. See I'm working on a abstract art piece containing about 55 layers so far. would be nice to get a few of them to be stereoscopic. have you played with image sizes? i'm guessing if it was full screen you'd have to step back quite a bit. thanks for your detailed reply back. I'm going to have read it again and probably then I'll be just as much confused.

!!!!1
Old 05-06-2006, 03:12 AM   #11

Quote:
If you take a look at this one, it is more obvious. You can see that the objects within each picture are positioned a bit differently with respect to one another. Check out the angles...you'll see what I mean.http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/a2.jpg
man that is really something. I see how it's angled slightly to the left. just trying to understand how it stands out as it does. with the stick in the foreground and spheres falling back. the feather is good start for me. See I'm working on a abstract art piece containing about 55 layers so far. would be nice to get a few of them to be stereoscopic. have you played with image sizes? i'm guessing if it was full screen you'd have to step back quite a bit. thanks for your detailed reply back. I'm going to have read it again and probably then I'll be just as much confused.

!!!!1
zol's Avatar zol
05-06-2006, 03:22 AM

Hehe. Anyone remember going to see the 3D 'Nightmare on Elm Street' installment?
Old 05-06-2006, 03:22 AM   #12
zol

Bincount™: 2

Hehe. Anyone remember going to see the 3D 'Nightmare on Elm Street' installment?
05-07-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
ok I tried this method out in photoshop. I'm not totally sure if if this worked but it looks somewhat close to sterescopic imagery. let me know?

http://members.cox.net/perdition/LKTN.jpg

I used about 13 objects of some art i've done. some work better than others do but I was happy with the results. even if it is teh suck. I had fun making this. listening to The Cure, Monstrosity, and some bad ass band called Canvas Solaris... and of course track 7 off of 10,000 days.

Last edited by Lost Keys; 05-07-2006 at 07:50 AM..
Old 05-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
ok I tried this method out in photoshop. I'm not totally sure if if this worked but it looks somewhat close to sterescopic imagery. let me know?

I used about 13 objects of some art i've done. some work better than others do but I was happy with the results. even if it is teh suck. I had fun making this. listening to The Cure, Monstrosity, and some bad ass band called Canvas Solaris... and of course track 7 off of 10,000 days.

Last edited by Lost Keys; 05-07-2006 at 07:50 AM..
kaspguy
05-07-2006, 12:18 PM

oww....they're too far apart
Old 05-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

oww....they're too far apart
neil46and2
05-07-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Works for me, looks great!
Old 05-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

05-07-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil46and2

thanks man! :}

i'm working on another one using some Bryce 3D objects.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil46and2

thanks man! :}

i'm working on another one using some Bryce 3D objects.
05-09-2006, 08:53 PM

The bryce ones didn't work so well so I might try them at a later time. here is a few more though.

Lost Keys again but this time can be used with the goggles:
http://members.cox.net/perdition/LKT...20version).jpg

Inspired by the beginning to Wings For Marie:
http://members.cox.net/perdition/wfm.jpg

Heres' a handmade native american beaded cougar mask that my wife got for me as a wedding present during our trip through the south western united states:

http://members.cox.net/perdition/cougar01.jpg

Second view of the cougar showing that back of the mask:

http://members.cox.net/perdition/cougar02.jpg

let me know if they work! thanks!

my wife was hospitalized yesterday and these are dedicated to her.

Last edited by Lost Keys; 05-09-2006 at 08:56 PM..
Old 05-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #17

The bryce ones didn't work so well so I might try them at a later time. here is a few more though.

Heres' a handmade native american beaded cougar mask that my wife got for me as a wedding present during our trip through the south western united states:

Last edited by Lost Keys; 05-09-2006 at 08:56 PM..
rEVOLUTIONary's Avatar rEVOLUTIONary
05-09-2006, 10:34 PM

Right on, man, that's cool. Keep 'em coming.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Right on, man, that's cool. Keep 'em coming.
05-15-2006, 01:56 PM

anyone want to try the APC logo....i thought that would be pretty wicked...or the old TOOL logo with the bar through it
Old 05-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

anyone want to try the APC logo....i thought that would be pretty wicked...or the old TOOL logo with the bar through it
jsn's Avatar jsn
05-17-2006, 08:01 PM

Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #20
jsn
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
05-17-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:

i wish her a speedy recovery
Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #21
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

Quote:

i wish her a speedy recovery
05-18-2006, 05:59 PM

do a google search for stereoscopic porn

lol
Old 05-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 707

do a google search for stereoscopic porn

lol
05-21-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:

hey man, sorry I took so long. I thought the thread was dead. Good to see it's still alive. Those look really good. The Lost Keys logo was perfect, really jumps out at you. The rest of the images were a little hard to focus. Just move them closer together and they'll be perfect.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife and I wish her the best. Is she out of the hospital yet?

Here's another stereoscopic I took the other day... I thought the microphone being up close has a really cool effect...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/ster.jpg
Old 05-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #23

Quote:

hey man, sorry I took so long. I thought the thread was dead. Good to see it's still alive. Those look really good. The Lost Keys logo was perfect, really jumps out at you. The rest of the images were a little hard to focus. Just move them closer together and they'll be perfect.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife and I wish her the best. Is she out of the hospital yet?

Here's another stereoscopic I took the other day... I thought the microphone being up close has a really cool effect...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/eja144/ster.jpg
trentollyopolis
05-23-2006, 11:27 PM

damn i hope the vicarious video is stereoscopic
Old 05-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

damn i hope the vicarious video is stereoscopic

Rate This Thread