Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
aperfectblue
04-24-2006, 09:34 AM

It’s not rocket science, understanding and appreciating how our favorite bands or creative artists, for that matter, can influence/inspire us. In fact we know with T00L, specifically, they’ve stated time and time again that one of their goals as a band is to inspire others to advance in their own creative works, even to the point that it excels what they [the band] do.

However it seems that half the time it’s the band thinking for their fans. Now understand this isn’t intended to be presented in a negative fashion, so I certainly hope it doesn’t offend anyone. But I’m sure I can’t be the only one who observes this.

It just appears that when the band artistically expresses their views about the world around them, suddenly everyone else takes on the same viewpoint and ‘through T00L’ are experts on the subject; Experts suddenly on Christianity and the beliefs therein; the political world; the answers to the universe, etc.

No doubt we can all ‘relate’ to their views, to some varying degrees, but it just seems at times like they shape the actual lives/outlooks of their listeners.

Rant, respectively finished...
Old 04-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Interesting Observation

It’s not rocket science, understanding and appreciating how our favorite bands or creative artists, for that matter, can influence/inspire us. In fact we know with T00L, specifically, they’ve stated time and time again that one of their goals as a band is to inspire others to advance in their own creative works, even to the point that it excels what they [the band] do.

However it seems that half the time it’s the band thinking for their fans. Now understand this isn’t intended to be presented in a negative fashion, so I certainly hope it doesn’t offend anyone. But I’m sure I can’t be the only one who observes this.

It just appears that when the band artistically expresses their views about the world around them, suddenly everyone else takes on the same viewpoint and ‘through T00L’ are experts on the subject; Experts suddenly on Christianity and the beliefs therein; the political world; the answers to the universe, etc.

No doubt we can all ‘relate’ to their views, to some varying degrees, but it just seems at times like they shape the actual lives/outlooks of their listeners.

04-24-2006, 09:37 AM

Yeah. People would rather have someone else think for them and represent them. What's your point?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Interesting Observation

Yeah. People would rather have someone else think for them and represent them. What's your point?
OFFLINE |  
Cid's Avatar Cid
04-24-2006, 09:41 AM

i'm sure it's true for a some people, but it's also possible that tool's opinions on certain things just happen to be the same for some of their listeners, which could be why tool appeals to these people.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Cid
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 190

i'm sure it's true for a some people, but it's also possible that tool's opinions on certain things just happen to be the same for some of their listeners, which could be why tool appeals to these people.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
OFFLINE |  
BlairLicksTaint's Avatar BlairLicksTaint
04-24-2006, 09:45 AM

There are leaders and there are followers, not everyone can lead. we wouldn't want that.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Bincount™: 69

There are leaders and there are followers, not everyone can lead. we wouldn't want that.
04-24-2006, 09:52 AM

So your thread is about obsessive Tool fans? heard it a million times
Old 04-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 50

So your thread is about obsessive Tool fans? heard it a million times
04-24-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairLicksTaint
I never really thought of it this way. At least a band like Tool gives some of the less intelligent and informed means of directly assimilating opinions about the world. I dunno if it's better than they are thinking something someone else told them rather than just thinking nothing at all....but I guess it's a start.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairLicksTaint
I never really thought of it this way. At least a band like Tool gives some of the less intelligent and informed means of directly assimilating opinions about the world. I dunno if it's better than they are thinking something someone else told them rather than just thinking nothing at all....but I guess it's a start.
OFFLINE |  
Leroy Brown's Avatar Leroy Brown
04-24-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperfectblue

I believe this is one of the reasons for this new album stepping away from the intent of Lateralus, which alot of people seem to have not been ready for at all. Myself included, although I did get the heads up from Maynard in that interview where he said he was tired of being chicken little and that he wasn't doing that this time around. The only problem is that the people who heard him and connected with him on his chicken little rants are taking a while to adjust to the idea of not getting more of the same guidance. That's my take. I love the new record, people seem to talk more about what Maynard is saying than how his voice sounds on this album. I think his voice sounds beautiful on this new one.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

I believe this is one of the reasons for this new album stepping away from the intent of Lateralus, which alot of people seem to have not been ready for at all. Myself included, although I did get the heads up from Maynard in that interview where he said he was tired of being chicken little and that he wasn't doing that this time around. The only problem is that the people who heard him and connected with him on his chicken little rants are taking a while to adjust to the idea of not getting more of the same guidance. That's my take. I love the new record, people seem to talk more about what Maynard is saying than how his voice sounds on this album. I think his voice sounds beautiful on this new one.
OFFLINE |  
sifted
04-24-2006, 10:04 AM

i see where you're coming from. but i also think it's not entirely true. i'm sure in some cases the message sent through the music sparks the same message in the person..brings it to the surface, not automatically makes them take that viewpoint. the message already quite possibly exists, it's just the music stepping in to help bring it out. if that makes sense.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i see where you're coming from. but i also think it's not entirely true. i'm sure in some cases the message sent through the music sparks the same message in the person..brings it to the surface, not automatically makes them take that viewpoint. the message already quite possibly exists, it's just the music stepping in to help bring it out. if that makes sense.
OFFLINE |  
aperfectblue
04-24-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifted
Good point, that does make sense.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifted
Good point, that does make sense.
04-24-2006, 10:38 AM

choices always were a problem for you, what you need is someone strong to guide you..
Old 04-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

choices always were a problem for you, what you need is someone strong to guide you..
OFFLINE |  
AgentDMT
04-24-2006, 10:48 AM

I love how Maynard has matured throughout the years. We have seen him go from righteous indignance ("jesus christ why don't you come save my life now") to a level of amazing introspective wisdom ("didn't tell a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one"). Its like having a mentor who teaches you insight through their behaivior and actions.

Of course you can take his lyrics like the gospel and join a good number of people who tunnel vision so badly that they miss the big picture, or you can just think of them as subtle clues and suggestions to types of thinking you can employee in your life. For example, this last album, the love he shows for his mother is something that I feel I forget to do all too often. His lyrics are merely a different way of looking at things, a different side of the story. Take from them what you want to. If they enhance your life somehow, help you to understand a little better, then he has succeeded.

god damn. i shit the bed.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I love how Maynard has matured throughout the years. We have seen him go from righteous indignance ("jesus christ why don't you come save my life now") to a level of amazing introspective wisdom ("didn't tell a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one"). Its like having a mentor who teaches you insight through their behaivior and actions.

Of course you can take his lyrics like the gospel and join a good number of people who tunnel vision so badly that they miss the big picture, or you can just think of them as subtle clues and suggestions to types of thinking you can employee in your life. For example, this last album, the love he shows for his mother is something that I feel I forget to do all too often. His lyrics are merely a different way of looking at things, a different side of the story. Take from them what you want to. If they enhance your life somehow, help you to understand a little better, then he has succeeded.

god damn. i shit the bed.
OFFLINE |  
a788's Avatar a788
04-24-2006, 10:51 AM

i dont understand what you are trying to say. it's obvious that a band is going to incorporate their beliefs into their music, especially a band as profound as tool. It is up to the auditor whether or not to believe in their same beliefs or ideals. Tool, of course would like to inspire others to create their own work, especially with influence from their work because that would basically be the ultimate compliment to their music. But, in no way, do i think that Tool is trying to think for their listeners. It is up to the listener. Tool speaks against people just following the crowd and letting people think for them, like a tool.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2268

i dont understand what you are trying to say. it's obvious that a band is going to incorporate their beliefs into their music, especially a band as profound as tool. It is up to the auditor whether or not to believe in their same beliefs or ideals. Tool, of course would like to inspire others to create their own work, especially with influence from their work because that would basically be the ultimate compliment to their music. But, in no way, do i think that Tool is trying to think for their listeners. It is up to the listener. Tool speaks against people just following the crowd and letting people think for them, like a tool.
praefector's Avatar praefector
04-24-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:

you need to qualify this generalization

the listeners that want to be led -- the ones that are tired of whatever they are being fed from other place.... will be led. there isnt anything wrong with it until the point where the thought process becomes "omg tool sez it it must be truez".

contrary to your thought, i think large number of tool fans take their (the band's) ideas as a jumping off point to form their own ideas.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #13
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

Quote:

you need to qualify this generalization

the listeners that want to be led -- the ones that are tired of whatever they are being fed from other place.... will be led. there isnt anything wrong with it until the point where the thought process becomes "omg tool sez it it must be truez".

contrary to your thought, i think large number of tool fans take their (the band's) ideas as a jumping off point to form their own ideas.
Sasha's Avatar Sasha
04-24-2006, 10:56 AM

I don't share some of the same views as the band does, but yes, they have opened up a few doors to some knowledge that I hadn't had have before them and I'm glad for it. I think the main problem is that people don't expand from what they spew out. Take for example their take on Jung, every Tool fan knows of their relation to him, but they hardly venture out to works of Freud and Nietszche in that sense. They stay locked in this bubble , and if Tool doesn't believe it, they shouldn't. It's limiting yourself, and the band is 100% against that.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
The most Bosnianest of us all

Bincount™: 4279

I don't share some of the same views as the band does, but yes, they have opened up a few doors to some knowledge that I hadn't had have before them and I'm glad for it. I think the main problem is that people don't expand from what they spew out. Take for example their take on Jung, every Tool fan knows of their relation to him, but they hardly venture out to works of Freud and Nietszche in that sense. They stay locked in this bubble , and if Tool doesn't believe it, they shouldn't. It's limiting yourself, and the band is 100% against that.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply