opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 07. Parabola
User Name
Password
Old 07-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
The Spirit Molecule

I don't think this piece is really so hard to figure out. I am not sure how many of you in here have experimented with a hullicinagenic substances, or if you want to in the first place. But if you do or you have you probably have had a deeper vision of this entire album. I am not saying someone who hasn't figured it out can't, but it will probably take a little longer. There is a book written by Dr. Rick Straussman called DMT the spirit molecule. This tool and the visionary artwork of alex gray may shine a little light on the whole lateralus album and the elements of the never ending algebraic expression of the spiral album. You can't really put this art into words, but if it were this man would do it best...

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration taht we are all 1 conciousness experiencing itself subjectively there is no such thing as death life is but a dream and we are an imagination of ourselves....... heres tom with the weather
R.I.P. Bill Hicks
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 187
I've done everything from mushrooms to salvia to cocaine. I've got a wonderful perception of this album, and I think it's the simplest view out of anyone here.

It's a bunch of songs.
Really, REALLY talented songs that make you think.
The only 'interpretations' you guys have on these, you pull out of your asses, no offense. I believe it was some weird kid on Toology that quoted, "A lot of people think they can read into TOOL's lyrics and get inside Maynard's head, and say yeah, this song is about this and that. When in actuality, it could be about Maynard's sock."

Whatever feeling overcomes you as you close your eyes and listen to these works of art are YOUR OWN DAMN FEELINGS, NOT what maynard was feeling when he wrote them. I also think we give Maynard a lot more mystery than he actually has himself. So what if he doesnt like cameras or interviews? He could be self-conscious for all we know. I've seen him live three times, and he's pretty friendly and outgoing with the audience...I see no reason why we should think he's a big box of misunderstanding.

I think we focus too much on Maynard and much less on the other three aspects of the music...Mr. Keenan himself suggested "A lot of people put all the focus on me, and I'm only one fourth of this project."
Old 07-23-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Re: The Spirit Molecule

Old 07-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Sorry if that one flew over your head, Opaque.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:37 AM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah, but wasn't that the whole point of the thread? To make our own assumptions or ideas of what the songs are about. The good thing about tool is the fact that the songs are so mysterious so they can mean whatever we feel at the time. But i must admit, there is a lot of over analyzing things in here. ESPECIALLY the artwork of the albums...
Old 07-24-2004, 09:51 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah but we shouldnt be sitting here making up bullshit to impress each other. This entire forum would be obsolete if everyone came to terms with themselves and admitted they have no - fucking - idea what maynard was thinking or feeling as he wrote these songs.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:19 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Trying to impress eachother? maybe you're looking to hard into what people are saying. no offense at all. there's no problem in people expressing what they think the songs are about. THAT IS THE POINT OF THIS FORUM. We basically have nothing to go on since maynard doesn't explain the lyrical content. we'll all have different opinions on them, there really is no right or wrong in an opinion.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:36 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

But there is: Maynard's opinion. If he came on here he'd laugh at all the moron "translations" of his songs. We could discuss how the songs make us feel rather than sit there and try to probe the actual lyrics line by line. When have you ever written a poem and said to yourself, "Okay, here I'm putting a metaphor...three similes in there...some personification heeeere...done."

These kids take every line and make up some bullshit story out of them.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:49 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide ChrYst
But there is: Maynard's opinion. If he came on here he'd laugh at all the moron "translations" of his songs. We could discuss how the songs make us feel rather than sit there and try to probe the actual lyrics line by line. When have you ever written a poem and said to yourself, "Okay, here I'm putting a metaphor...three similes in there...some personification heeeere...done."

I'm just more than a little curious how you would know what maynard would say if he came into this forum looked at some of the fans opinions. I guess my intellectual level has not yet exceeded your far more superior point of veiws. It must be way over my head Cyanide. Anybody who has a different concept are outlook must be a complete total moron. Everybody who reads this stop what ever artistic or creative thing your doing and come up with the simplest variable to not allow yourself to think outside of the box. Your right maynard is a fucking idiot who jacks off everyday and makes songs about his fuck rags because he is only 1/4 of the music. As far as probing lyrics, I was simply suggesting that a dose of dmt, psysoblin, or lsd ( Alex grays artwork and Dr. Rick straussmans book)may broden the horizen of the entire album down to beats per measure, track order, varied grooves and lyrical content.

But what you have pointed out is genious Cyanide I was so ignorant to make up this elaborate illusion of far fetched thoughts. I fall in line like a herd of cattle.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:17 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 110

Quote:

man why are you getting so hyped up, why dont you just not come here if the opinions bother you so much? and even if they dont youre being completely hypocritical! everyone is saying their opinion on the songs, and you saying how you feel on what theyre saying. that is an opinon, is it not? im not saying you shouldnt say your opinon, but you couldve been less aggrivated-sounding, if that makes sense.

=) cant we all just get along??!?!?!?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:40 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaquedeism

A) Your right maynard is a fucking idiot who jacks off everyday and makes songs about his fuck rags because he is only 1/4 of the music.

B) As far as probing lyrics, I was simply suggesting that a dose of dmt, psysoblin, or lsd ( Alex grays artwork and Dr. Rick straussmans book)may broden the horizen of the entire album

C) But what you have pointed out is genious Cyanide I was so ignorant to make up this elaborate illusion of far fetched thoughts. I fall in line like a herd of cattle.

A) I think maynard has the intellectual capacity of a thousand scientists plus the charisma of a greek god. I'm not sure where you got that from. Might be the Dumbass Juice you be drinkin'.

B) DMT, salvia, dextromethorphan hydrabromide...it all skews your perspective on EVERYTHING. That's why they call them DISSOCIATIVES, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

C) It's actually spelled "genius". And yes; fall in line and stop overanalyzing everything.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:58 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
A) I think maynard has the intellectual capacity of a thousand scientists plus the charisma of a greek god. I'm not sure where you got that from. Might be the Dumbass Juice you be drinkin'.

B) DMT, salvia, dextromethorphan hydrabromide...it all skews your perspective on EVERYTHING. That's why they call them DISSOCIATIVES, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

C) It's actually spelled "genius". And yes; fall in line and stop overanalyzing everything.

man your so cool, it must take years and years of dedication to keep coming up with creative ways to keep your copy cat cover band going. I'd give anything to see you guys plagerize tool's work. The greek gods must look upon your shoulders in awe.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaquedeism
man your so cool, it must take years and years of dedication to keep coming up with creative ways to keep your copy cat cover band going. I'd give anything to see you guys plagerize tool's work. The greek gods must look upon your shoulders in awe.

We've got about 28 songs, all written by myself and my other guitarist. We can only play around five tool songs, yet we play those with pure excellency. I have never had such pleasure to play with men of such talent; my bassist is a master, my drummer smokes most signed bands, my guitarist is seventeen and already has partial scholarships to music colleges.

We dont charge admission to see us because we don't want to be successful. Henceforth we cannot be illegally copying tool's work; we're just spreading the love around.

Any other brain busters, moronman?
Old 07-31-2004, 02:46 AM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
We've got about 28 songs, all written by myself and my other guitarist. We can only play around five tool songs, yet we play those with pure excellency. I have never had such pleasure to play with men of such talent; my bassist is a master, my drummer smokes most signed bands, my guitarist is seventeen and already has partial scholarships to music colleges.

We dont charge admission to see us because we don't want to be successful. Henceforth we cannot be illegally copying tool's work; we're just spreading the love around.

Any other brain busters, moronman?
No need to use insults here. It seems too easy for bands to use the old " i don't wanna be successful" excuse. Every band wants to be successful, isn't that the point? I mean playing in a band for free won't pay the rent or buy the food. And you won't have time for hobbies such as a band when you're working to pay for that apartment and the food and clothing you need. Your cockiness will get you nowhere, and annoy the fuck out of people on your way down. :)
Old 07-31-2004, 10:38 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead male hooker
No need to use insults here. It seems too easy for bands to use the old " i don't wanna be successful" excuse. Every band wants to be successful, isn't that the point? I mean playing in a band for free won't pay the rent or buy the food. And you won't have time for hobbies such as a band when you're working to pay for that apartment and the food and clothing you need. Your cockiness will get you nowhere, and annoy the fuck out of people on your way down. :)
I have the money and house I need, as well as everything else. I have a nice job I like and I'm in school. And if we TRULY wanted to be successful, we'd release the two LP's we have sitting on our shelves. We are *afraid* of becoming successful because it will drag us away from our LIVES. Which is what we're interested in right now.

Plus rockers are fags. With like...ten exceptions. Tool, radiohead, and a few others.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:11 AM   #16
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12

Maynard has said he wants his lyrics to be open to interpretation. Also, it's called language, there's only so many possibilities when lines are formed in our language, I highly doubt that everyone here is way off and the songs mean something completely different. Have you ever thought of the possibility that the lyrics really are as deep and complex as everyone thinks on here? I'm sure Maynard enjoys writing complex lyrics to express himself, he also has always stressed that he wants people to focus on the music and not the image. So making the lyrics very complex/deep could be another way of doing that.

I find it amusing that some guy in another band comes on here and tries to say that Tool's music isn't as complex/deep as everyone wants to think, as if you having a band in any way gives you more authority over the average person. The fact of the matter is, you have no idea about the true meaning to Tool songs, as we don't. But we will continue to analyze the more plausible possibility which is that the lyrics are complex and deep as it enhnaces the music for us.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcM_Emperor
Maynard has said he wants his lyrics to be open to interpretation. Also, it's called language, there's only so many possibilities when lines are formed in our language, I highly doubt that everyone here is way off and the songs mean something completely different. Have you ever thought of the possibility that the lyrics really are as deep and complex as everyone thinks on here? I'm sure Maynard enjoys writing complex lyrics to express himself, he also has always stressed that he wants people to focus on the music and not the image. So making the lyrics very complex/deep could be another way of doing that.

I find it amusing that some guy in another band comes on here and tries to say that Tool's music isn't as complex/deep as everyone wants to think, as if you having a band in any way gives you more authority over the average person. The fact of the matter is, you have no idea about the true meaning to Tool songs, as we don't. But we will continue to analyze the more plausible possibility which is that the lyrics are complex and deep as it enhnaces the music for us.

Because it's NOT complex like everyone makes it out to be. Dude, writing a song is not like writing a fucking mathematical equation. Yes, maynard writes profound shit. But why is that? Because we respect him; not because of the stuff he actually writes. To explain:

Imagine tool never existed. Put maynard in a country band. Suddenly he sucks and we dont respect him, and he just happens to know big words. It's all applicabal bullshit you guys fall for.

He's a super writer, and I would have anal sutra sex with him, but you guys need to open your eyes. Even he says he reads this stuff and says we're all totally off on TOOLOGY, the video.

Maynard says he wants us to focus on the music, not the lyrics. "The music carries all the emotion. The lyrics just direct a little where that emotion is going. People put all the focus on me and lose focus on the other 3/4ths of this project. If the words were so important, people would be doing sold-out spoken word tours."~Maynard, Muchmusic Interview compilation.

There is nothing plausible or analytical about your dumbass closet-grown assumptions. You CANNOT READ LYRICS OF A FUCKING SONG AND THEN TURN THEM INTO A STORY ABOUT SHIT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW IS TRUE. That's a mockery of the music and a mockery of his talent. For fuck's sake, if you're going to analyze something, do it with a brain. I swear I expected to meet likeminded individuals on this board and so far, 80% of you are as retarded as the teenyboppers I would expect to find at an NSync board.

My band doesnt have any authority over anything. I'm sharing my opinion like everyone else. Dont like it? I hope you have free minutes on your phone to discuss your hatred of me with somebody who likes listening to your rambling bullshit.

:thumbs up: This song is great, by the way.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:57 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

For someone who seems so dumb, you seem to think you know so much.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Its not a matter of how much you or I know. It's that everyone sees the songs the way everyone else does; and when I've got a new idea like "Hey, maybe it's not a bunch of obtuse twenty-sided bullshit, maybe it's just a song" suddenly that seems so incomprehensible to all of these fruitbowls and I'm shunned.

Because my opinions are so much less logical than "OMG THIS SONG IS ABOUT HIS DEAD GRANDMA!!". *rolls eyes in an obviously sarcastic manner that still many will fail to pick up*

Oh good. Nick Junior is on. Back later.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Its not a matter of how much you or I know. It's that everyone sees the songs the way everyone else does; and when I've got a new idea like "Hey, maybe it's not a bunch of obtuse twenty-sided bullshit, maybe it's just a song" suddenly that seems so incomprehensible to all of these fruitbowls and I'm shunned.

Because my opinions are so much less logical than "OMG THIS SONG IS ABOUT HIS DEAD GRANDMA!!". *rolls eyes in an obviously sarcastic manner that still many will fail to pick up*

Oh good. Nick Junior is on. Back later.
Not everyone sees the songs the same way. Why do you think people have different tastes in music? People hear and feel music differently than one another. And as for your "idea" that it's not a bunch of "obtuse twenty sided bullshit" i disagree. Just because you're not very intelligent and unable to comprehend deep thought doesn't mean everyone else is the same way. Maybe Maynard does put a lot of thought into the songs, that doesn't mean i disagree with what some people say on here. But, still, maybe the songs are as deep as they say, or maybe they're not. You don't know the answer, neither do i. So you have no room to state what something is, it's merely only what you BELIEVE it is.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:51 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
The only 'interpretations' you guys have on these, you pull out of your asses, no offense.
Quote:
Quote:
If he came on here he'd laugh at all the moron "translations" of his songs.
I don't think it's logical to make gross generalizations about the interpretations of posters here when you agreed that Maynard's lyrics warrant examination.

Quote:
<The songs on Lateralus are> Really, REALLY talented songs that make you think.
I definitely agree that feeling is much more important than analysis, and also believe that there is quite a bit of overanalysis here, but, as tcM_Emperor said, deep lyrics point to feeling also.

Last edited by Hydric eye; 08-08-2004 at 06:54 PM..
Old 10-13-2004, 03:38 AM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 32

Quote:

Don't be so quick to judge other people on spelling especially when you believe DMT is a dissociative.

You also made a comment about why we shouldn't be sitting here trying to impress each other... reread your first post.

Peace
Old 10-15-2004, 08:58 AM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

...ding ding ding, DMT is a dissociative, friend. Complete dissociation of mind from body; completely torn from all realities, removal from consciousness. I dont know what your definition of a dissociative is; but here's a piece of my (college) essay that was graded Flawless.

<i>It is said that the human mind is capable of an immeasurably massive amount of calculation, comprehension and creation when it is free and clear. To unbind the mind from its shackles would be to release the ego; the protectorate; the part of the brain where reason overrides emotion. When fear and justification of perception have been removed, only the ability to perceive remains. This in turn leaves the mind able to freely and sporadically project what it unconsciously wills to display to the human occupant. Although it is impossible to completely turn this area of the brain off; one is able to temporarily pacify it with numerous tactics. Conventional methods of unchaining oneself from ones surroundings can be achieved by removing all visual and audio sensory. A pitch black room with no sound; perhaps an empty house with all of the lights out would suffice. Mind-altering substances; namely dissociatives such as Datura inoxia or Dextromethorphan hydrobromide have long since been reported as keys to alternative perception when combined with sensory deprivation. One could, if necessary, go even as far as the most powerful of all mind-dissociating chemicals such as Salvia divinorum or 5-meO-DMT.
Underlying our conscious thought sits a seething cauldron of subconscious anticipation; exhibiting itself to us in our dreams. The point of all this cutting off of worldly ties is to delve into this dark place and unlock what it has to teach us. Authors have published books, singers have written songs, killers have murdered the innocent while in these fantastic realms of mirror-dimension.</i>
Old 10-18-2004, 04:38 AM   #24
Banned.

Bincount™: 5

first of all, dextromethorphan HYBROMIDE is a different form of the cough surpressent found in coriciden (cords) It is the pure form of dextromethorphan DXM that is the correct form to be quoting.

If being dissassociated from reality is a bad thing to you, this would explain your never ending desire to point and laugh at anyone that has a different perspective. You claimed in ticks and leeches that i have no outside perspective... how would you know? I can say YOU have no outside perspective because you constantly claim that reality is the only thing here to perceive. And that anyone that thinks outside the box is a moron. Right, and radiation isn't there because you cant see it and it has no use because you didn't come up with it. It was philosophy that brought nuclear capabilities, and you say that philosophy is bullshit. It is astrology that brought us understanding of space weather... Again you have said this is bullshit... You are useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide_ChrYst
Because it's NOT complex like everyone makes it out to be. Dude, writing a song is not like writing a fucking mathematical equation. Yes, maynard writes profound shit. But why is that? Because we respect him; not because of the stuff he actually writes.
I think YOU are the only one that dosn't respect him because of the stuff he writes. And its not ONLY mayarnd that writes the songs. Also you just said that it is profound.

Profound: Situated at, extending to, or coming from a great depth

Also, for tool, it is like writing a mathematical expression fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide_ChrYst
You are the one that has opinions like everyone else. Its just songs. This is what everyone thinks when they hear tool untill they start looking into it. YOu are so oblivious its not funny at all. You are gonna say that im oblivious now. I know you think i am but the truth is, who is oblivious? The one that says, hey its just air... or the one that says its air allright, but whats it made of and where does it come from.

You are so caught up in yourself you miss the meaning in everything. Im sure that you think the meaning of life is to fuck your socks, and walk around in your "business suit with a cell phone and bmw" But dude, im sorry. I could be 1,000 time more successful in life than you and live in a cardbord box. I know nothing will explain this to you, you have to find this yourself. The only reason i am arguing is for the sake of others to not misunderstand what you say to be the truth. You (WILL - SEE) someday when your karmic debt is the combined size of the dildo up your ass and your ego.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #25

Cyanide, it is your INTERPRETATION that Maynard's much more simple then he actually is. It's an interpretation because you don't know him personally, you're basing that opinion off what you've seen/heard of him through the media and other people.

Basically, you're trying to say other people's interpretations are wrong by expressing your interpretation, it simply doesn't work. He could be really complex, he could be really simple. He may write really deep lyrics with multiple layers, or they may be much more simplistic then we thought and only have 1 layer(which would contradict what Maynard has said in interviews). Basically noone really knows for sure.

So instead of trying to say your interpretation is right and everyone else is pulling their interpretations out of their ass, why dont you just express it without insulting everyone else in the process? I'll repeat it one more time just in case you try to respond with a 5 paragraph reply that dances around this fact:

YOU DO NOT KNOW MAYNARD PERSONALLY. This means that you don't know anything about his lyrics or him as a person for sure. This also means that you don't know that other people's interpretations are wrong, or that Maynard would laugh if he saw them.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:30 PM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

I seriously read like two sentences from both of those disgustingly large bitcheries.

Guys, the thing is...I just dont care what you have to think about me. So please stop telling me what you think. I just dont care. They're wasted words.

Also, I dont think being dissociated is a bad thing; I do drugs ALL THE TIME, you and I even talk about them, triangular. Remember, I'm the one growing a salvia.

Hey, emperor said it 100% right: "You don't know maynard personally". Good, take your own advice and quit making up unbelievable bullshit about songs he writes. I never said they werent extremely profound; I said you dont know what he's talking about.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:35 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

doesn't work. He could be really complex, he could be really simple. He may write really deep lyrics with multiple layers, or they may be much more simplistic then we thought and only have 1 layer(which would contradict what Maynard has said in interviews). Basically noone really knows for sure.

Absolutely, because it's not like maynard would ever lie about anything. Especially to a billion blathering idiots for fans over a recording.

Maybe you've heard of these kids. They dress in black and consider their music intellectually superior to all other bands; often smirking and sneering when people name a band the fan dislikes. They do really hardcore things to show how they are better people, like print pictures of the Third Eye and put them on their math binder in school, because you know...that expresses intellectualism.

Then they join forums and share their halfwit, halfbaked, closet grown opinions about songs because they "are good at reading people".

Believe it or not, every single person is going to hell when they die. And I don't even believe in hell.

"OMG CYANDIED TAHT IS A CONTRADICTION!!11111 HOW CAN U GO 2 HELL IF U DONT BELEAVE N IT??????/"
Old 10-27-2004, 02:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Absolutely, because it's not like maynard would ever lie about anything. Especially to a billion blathering idiots for fans over a recording.

Maybe you've heard of these kids. They dress in black and consider their music intellectually superior to all other bands; often smirking and sneering when people name a band the fan dislikes. They do really hardcore things to show how they are better people, like print pictures of the Third Eye and put them on their math binder in school, because you know...that expresses intellectualism.

Then they join forums and share their halfwit, halfbaked, closet grown opinions about songs because they "are good at reading people".

Believe it or not, every single person is going to hell when they die. And I don't even believe in hell.

"OMG CYANDIED TAHT IS A CONTRADICTION!!11111 HOW CAN U GO 2 HELL IF U DONT BELEAVE N IT??????/"
Ok... you ignored my main point, and I'm not surprised.

Your interpretation is that other people's interpretations are wrong when it comes to Maynard and his lyrics, and that he would laugh if he read their interpretations. You cannot prove anyone is wrong until you provide evidence that you know Maynard personally and he tells everyone that those people are wrong. Until then, it is your interpretation that so many people are wrong when it comes to Maynard's lyrics and about him personally.

It's my interpretation that Maynard does write complex lyrics with multiple layers. I mean, if you actually read the lyrics they're obviously complex and could be applied to mulitple meanings. Also the whole idea of "Maynard could be talking about his sock" is completely flawed. Because there is only so many messages you can be sending out with certain words in the English language. And most of the time the way Maynard writes sentences with certain words in the English language in which point towards a more complex/multiple layered/deeper meaning. Is it possible that Maynard could be talking about his sock in Lateralus? If you look at the sentences and the words that are used and the obvious message it is sending, it's extremely doubtful.

Believe it or not, there is a such thing as plausible and less plausible. You could apply some books of the bible to Sesame Street, but is that a plausible definition to those books? The obvious answer is no. What people base their interpretations off of are what are the most PLAUSIBLE explanations to Maynards lyrics within the words and sentences he writes for his lyrics. Once you come to grasp these concepts I've been talking about maybe you won't be so quick to judge everyone as being wrong.

Last edited by tcM_Emperor; 10-27-2004 at 02:28 AM..
Old 10-27-2004, 08:15 AM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bingo, you got it right on the head - I think everybody's interpretation but my own is wrong.

Duuuuh, stupid. Otherwise I'd share THEIR opinion.

Please try to talk less. I get so bored with your rant that I kind of just skim. I noticed the last paragraph you used the word plausible a few times...but I didnt read the entire paragraph. The thing is, I just dont care.

Oh, about maynards sock, that quote was from the Toology video (worst 20 dollars I EVER spent), not me. But I completely agree with the guy: Basically he's saying you can have this huge idea of what maynards talking about...and he'll turn around and stomp your ass by telling you its about something completely different.

In this case the guy is saying the message of the song *could be* much simpler than what we make it. Basically when you underanalyze things, you miss things, but when you overanalyze them, you make stuff up that isnt there.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:16 AM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Havent we had this argument before? Here's the deal: You wont change the way you think for me, and vice versa. No matter how much you bitch. So why do you continue to point out what you dont like about me? I'm going to change my signature so it will remind you of what I constantly say before you even respond to me.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #31

Cyanide, it's not that I'm bitching or that it's a simple disagreement. I'm pointing out the flaws of you thinking everyone's interpretations are wrong. Because if we don't know anything for sure, how can you seriously say in so many posts that people's interpretations are wrong?

About the Maynard's sock thing, I've seen you use in several posts things like "It could be about a ladder, or Maynard's cock or something". So even if you didn't create that thought origionally, you have used it in several arguements. If you read the last paragraph of my previous post it explains why that idea is also very flawed.

The problem is Cyanide, we both don't give a shit, and I don't give a shit that you don't give a shit. So I'm gonna keep posting pointing out the errors in your way of thinking and you'll keep not giving a shit, too bad :P
Old 10-28-2004, 07:57 AM   #32
Banned.

Quote:
The problem is Cyanide, we both don't give a shit, and I don't give a shit that you don't give a shit. So I'm gonna keep posting pointing out the errors in your way of thinking and you'll keep not giving a shit, too bad :P
The only shit i give is that cyanide dosn't create a barrier for anyone else. Just because he dosn't like to think deep dons't mean others shouldn't.

Cyanide, you are kind of like that guy in Blast From the Past. You will be so surprised someday... Even if tool lyrics aren't as deep as we think they are, whats the harm in thinking. It apparently works on 2 levels at least. You ignore the complex meanings of tool in order to maintain your mental status of being signifigant and better than everyone else. You dont give a shit. This is just a shield for you. This shield exposes sides of you that even you cant see.

THis leads into "part of me... I know you well, i know you better than i know myself." No matter how much you think you know yourself, you dont. Its kinda like being made aware of something by a friend that you had no idea you were doing all your life. (like chewing with your mouth open)
Old 10-28-2004, 08:05 AM   #33
Banned.

Quote:
Ya its not like the almighty cyanide could be wrong about anything either...
Quote:
I dress in black because i dont like to stand out and it fits my mood these days. Plus im 6'7'' tall, i stand out alot anyway. You dont consider tool intellectually superior to dashboard confessionals or slipknot? right. I dont know about you, but i dont think putting the third eye on a binder is hardcore... maybe for you express people.... who knows. I DRAW the third eye on alot of shit because it fishes people out of the crowd without putting your neck on the line....dipshit. [/QUOTE]

Quote:
And our 6 paragraph intepertations are half-baked when you claim parabola is about a sock that is also a fuck rag? You should re-calculate yourself... Ive even noticed people are dumbing shit down and making it shorter so that you will even comment on the important part of the argument. My faith in you cyanide fluctuates as much as much as the psi of the R134-a refrigerent in a mobile home.

Quote:

Last edited by Triangular_Vision; 10-28-2004 at 08:08 AM..
Old 11-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

I only really lurk here, but I can't help but want to offer my "two cents". I'll be brief.

Firstly; if you're going to wall-up and refuse to consider other people's opinions then you should expect yours to be equally inconsequential. If you want to be heard, the first step is to listen.

Secondly, if you truly don't give two-shits about what people (or at least, forum-goers) think, then don't even bother responding to this thread. If you don't feel the need to prove yourself to us, then don't prove yourself to us. Simple.

Thirdly, and perhaps more on topic and relating to a lot of users - I'd like to propose a notion. How many people have met J.D. Salinger? Few, I'm sure; but that doesn't inhibit us from deriving meaning from his books. The same can be said true for most artists. Art is a medium of communication; it allows us to communicate ideas and concepts. "You don't know Maynard" is a moot point.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:21 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

I don't have any experience with mind altering drugs, other than anti-depressants.

Personally, if you can't see it without the chemical, you're not supposed to. OR! You're not trying hard enough.
If you're so dedicated to seeing pretty colors and visions, don't eat for a few days and sit in a dark room. I swear to god, you'll get the same effect. Or just meditate a lot. And read.
Whatever. To each his own. All I can say is I can get extreme chills from this music without any kind of chemical "enhancement." That's the kind of reaction humans were meant to have to music that moves them, and if you concentrate on THAT feeling, it can take you on a journey in itself.
Personally, hallucinogens to me are laziness.
Whatever.
Have fun yourself. My 2 cents as well.
That and this thread hasn't had anyone touch it in a while... give me a break! I have a LOT of other things to do than come in here regularly. And I don't have net access in my own house. :|

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: