opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 02-16-2004, 04:44 AM   #81
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: finally, i figured out the Lateralus Puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by schismgrudge200
ok, so let's discuss what the song Lateralus is about, all the while keeping in mind that it is the title track, we'll also discuss the musical aspect of things, so that you morons who refuse to believe the alternate track order may be slightly enlightened.

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.

-As a child, everything is in black and white, theres nothing more to it, things are just the way they appear.

Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, let's me see

-as you grow, you begin to realize that not everything is in black and white or exactly as it seems.

the next bit of lyrics are too deep for the most of you to understand having to do with separating the body from the mind

lets move on to:
im reaching up and reaching out, im reaching for the random, or whatever will bewildered me, whatever will bewilder me, and follow that will that wind, it may just go where no one's been, ride the spiral to the end, you may just go where no one's been

-basically, if you're intriguied by something, look at from every different aspect, much like a spiral, and you may just go where no one has been

if tool did incorporate a "secret" track order, they sure as fuck woulndt announce it, because then no one would have to figure it out. So for all you dumb fucks that doubt this track order let me just say that you're not dealing with a band thats going to give you all the answers, they're not Limp fucking Bizkit or some bullshit like that, Tool is a band that inspires you to think.

So now, about the music:
Parabol Parabola is in E, so is Schism, which parabola ends in guitar in e and schism begins with guitar in e, then schism ends and goes directly into drums then bass for Ticks and Leeches, all the while adam jones drops to D and then begins playing, then you have mantra, adam tunes the third string to E for Lateralus, so your looking from the top down at D,A,E, then you have Faaip and the tuning of the third string is back to D so it's D,A,D, like it was in Ticks, then the tuning remains the same for The Grudge, Triad, Eon Blue, then the drums start Reflection which gives adam time to tune back to D,A,E, which he rides through reflection, the patient, and dispostion
do bascially, the tunes follow the tuning this way, each time adam tunes, he's given the proper time
plus, if you fucking ingnorant morons would give this track order a try, youd see, if anyone wants an mp3 of the whole thing, without the silence as My Proof to you that it fits like a fucking glove, like one great song, ill email it you, just email me and ask for it, [email protected]

you guys are fools, i never thought people that were into to Tool could be such fools
Hi this is my first post, but I remember when Chino Moreno from Deftones worked with Maynard on the song passanger from White Pony. He said the way Maynard planned out the music looked like advanced calculus. I would think with 5 years of time even with all the disruptions that they would do something more than a normal album. Tool is not really a mainstream band and they would do something more for their fans but their fans would have to figure it out.

Also why do you have to pay money to join the toolarmy, seems a little foolish.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #82
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenlc
Hi this is my first post, but I remember when Chino Moreno from Deftones worked with Maynard on the song passanger from White Pony. He said the way Maynard planned out the music looked like advanced calculus. I would think with 5 years of time even with all the disruptions that they would do something more than a normal album. Tool is not really a mainstream band and they would do something more for their fans but their fans would have to figure it out.

Also why do you have to pay money to join the toolarmy, seems a little foolish.
i thought it would be cool to sign up as well, until i noticed in the section where you choose what 'package' you want that it says 'brainwashing' at the bottom.
humor? maybe. insight? maybe. either way, i'm not paying oodles of cash for a fucking hat and a sticker. i buy their cds and go to their shows, and that's enough money for them from me.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #83
Level 3 - Talker

maybe Tool didn't write the song in keys......
maybe it was written in modes
Old 02-21-2004, 01:09 AM   #84
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Ok, well i didn't read the whole forum cause i thought the first post was already pretty dumb. Forget about it! Are you all gone mad. Its an album not a bible. Unlike the bible I enjoy this album over and over again. If there was an 'alternative track order' who could give a rats ass really. It isn't going to make me any smarter or better person if i was to listen the album in another order. I guess if your pathetic enough you would try.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:40 AM   #85
Level 7 - Loquacious

Ok, I'm tired of this shit. There is an alternate track order, just accept it, and LET IT GO. You may not like the way it sounds or the fact that Tool didn't just spell it out for you, but its there. I can show you how the alt track order was "discovered" and even show you a few undeniable hints as to its existance.

And how can you (McRoggles) tell us how Tool or any other band thinks? You can't, so that last post is completely irrelevant. And the shuffle button has nothing to do with this; this is a very specific order. Although, you did make one good point, "No artist ever makes an alternate track list," which makes me believe even more that Tool is very capable of doing something to that effect.

Most of you are completely missing the point of the alt track order, because you're too stubborn to try something new, or change the way you think about Lateralus. Well wake up fellas, and smell the new sounds. Its not intended to make you smarter or a better person (although its possible on a subliminal level) but it does has a message, which I'm not even going to try to explain, because you need to find it on your own. But it does offer a whole new way to hear Lateralus. It gives Lateralus a nice movie-type quality to it. (PS if Tool ever makes "The Wall" type movie with Lateralus, I'll bet its in the alt order)

You are all "Finding beauty in dissonance" to quote schism.

If you want some reasons behind the alt order, ask me.

Last edited by MORNING_GLORY; 03-10-2004 at 07:43 AM..
Old 03-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #86
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY
Ok, I'm tired of this shit. There is an alternate track order, just accept it, and LET IT GO. [...]
Of course there is.

There are exactly 6,227,020,800 possible track orders for Lateralus. What's your point?

They chose a specific one for specific reasons, and any deviance from that is, clearly, not what the artist intended for you to hear, despite whatever crazy justification you (or anyone else) can cook up for your pick of the 6,227,020,799 others.

And, yes, there really are 6,227,020,800 possible track orders, assuming you don't want to repeat any one track and you want to play every track one time. If you throw out those assumptions, there's an infinite number of possible track orders.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #87
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Ok, I'm tired of this shit. There is an alternate track order, just accept it, and LET IT GO. You may not like the way it sounds or the fact that Tool didn't just spell it out for you, but its there. I can show you how the alt track order was "discovered" and even show you a few undeniable hints as to its existance.

And how can you (McRoggles) tell us how Tool or any other band thinks? You can't, so that last post is completely irrelevant. And the shuffle button has nothing to do with this; this is a very specific order. Although, you did make one good point, "No artist ever makes an alternate track list," which makes me believe even more that Tool is very capable of doing something to that effect.

Most of you are completely missing the point of the alt track order, because you're too stubborn to try something new, or change the way you think about Lateralus. Well wake up fellas, and smell the new sounds. Its not intended to make you smarter or a better person (although its possible on a subliminal level) but it does has a message, which I'm not even going to try to explain, because you need to find it on your own. But it does offer a whole new way to hear Lateralus. It gives Lateralus a nice movie-type quality to it. (PS if Tool ever makes "The Wall" type movie with Lateralus, I'll bet its in the alt order)

You are all "Finding beauty in dissonance" to quote schism.

If you want some reasons behind the alt order, ask me.
I do think there is an alternate track order but don't be so sure you've discovered it.... I did my own exploration and experimentation my self and I was, at one point, pretty sure I was on to something but in the long run I began to find more revelations that shed light on other things that I hadn't discovered before hand. It doesn't mean what I've found before is 'wrong' but it doesn't necessarily mean I'm diffinately 'right' either... Use your intrigue of Lateralus as your own tool of exploration.... and leave it at that.. share your thoughts but don't proclaim that you, out of the thousands and thousands of Tool fans, have found some kind of Holy Grail... theres diffinately folly in that, folly of the ego....

RRed
Old 03-11-2004, 03:02 AM   #88
Level 7 - Loquacious

The difference, Chris, between this order and the other 6,227,020,800 you mentioned is that this one is intended. I'm sorry if I came off as trying to say "I found the answers" because I know I haven't, this is only one possibility. I just get mad sometimes when people won't consider it, because its opened up a lot of new doors for me, and I just want people to experiment with it too. But I've learned that I can't force it on people, I can't make people accept it, if its real. But oh well, just think about it.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:18 AM   #89
meh.

Quote:
The difference, Chris, between this order and the other 6,227,020,800 you mentioned is that this one is intended. [...]
Where is your proof of this "official" alternate track listing?
Old 03-12-2004, 08:39 PM   #90
Banned.

Bincount™: 165

I just realized that you suck and I am....
.....Awesomely Awesome.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:33 PM   #91
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkt
I just realized that you suck and I am....
.....Awesomely Awesome.
Absol00t n00b.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:34 AM   #92
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
And how can you... tell us how Tool or any other band thinks? You can't...

...If you want some reasons behind the alt order, ask me.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #93
Level 7 - Loquacious

If you haven't noticed, This whole opinion section is about people telling other people what they think Tool thinks and means. "I am not innocent, you are not innocent, no one is innocent."
Old 03-13-2004, 11:39 AM   #94
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell
Where is your proof of this "official" alternate track listing?
He's the proof, duh! They gave him the offical "Tool" badge...
Old 03-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #95
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRed
I do think there is an alternate track order but don't be so sure you've discovered it.... I did my own exploration and experimentation my self and I was, at one point, pretty sure I was on to something but in the long run I began to find more revelations that shed light on other things that I hadn't discovered before hand. It doesn't mean what I've found before is 'wrong' but it doesn't necessarily mean I'm diffinately 'right' either... Use your intrigue of Lateralus as your own tool of exploration.... and leave it at that.. share your thoughts but don't proclaim that you, out of the thousands and thousands of Tool fans, have found some kind of Holy Grail... theres diffinately folly in that, folly of the ego....

RRed
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarforsker
No, we are obviously not looking for the holy grail. I often wonder why people post stuff like this? Does it matter to you if the references are put on the album on purpose or if it is merely a series of coincidential patterns? I don't believe anyone posting in here is searching for any grail or the so called meaning of life?! Basicly we are just following what to us seem like interesting and fascinating clues to learn and expand our knowledge. If you do not wish to participate, then don't. No one is forcing you, really... and im sure we won't miss you. Take care, have fun.. bye!
Quote:
Originally Posted by corps d'allumen
I think people are looking for the 'holy grail.' I think if Tool came out tommorow and said "this is the meaning of life" then two-thirds of the jackasses here would say "I knew it!! I told you!!" when really they didn't know shit, just copying each others "interesting and fascinating clues to learn and expand our knowledge." pretending to know something important. Want to know what their big secret is? How to get a bunch of monkeys to treat them like gods and drool on their dollars as they fork 'em over and make them rich. You go back and take a good, objective look at this forum and then try to say again that noone is looking for something. Why the FUCK! would anyone want to know, for the fun of knowing, what elements the letters in a word make? Secretly, you're all waiting for someone to 'figure it out' thinking you can smear it on your balls and turn into a god, like your idols. You want something to learn and expand your knowledge? Get a fucking clue.

and im sure we won't miss you. Take care, have fun.. bye

Last edited by corps d'allumen; 03-13-2004 at 11:53 AM..
Old 03-13-2004, 12:11 PM   #96
meh.

Quote:
He's the proof, duh! They gave him the offical "Tool" badge...
He probably just bought if off of eBay.

If so, then it's probably just a fake.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:06 PM   #97
Level 7 - Loquacious

Ya know, a lot of you are dicks. Half of you sit around and wait for someone to post something that you can argue with, even certain moderators. Its sad really. But i'll use immunity pass that everyone else uses. "Its my opinion that Tool made an alternate track order" Ok now everyone that doesn't have anything constructive to say can find another thread, and suck my balls.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #98
Level 4 - Thinker

number theory

about the alternate track list

here's an example of another meanigless obsession with numbers: there is a website i found about how the number nine is sacred in the bible, and gave a great many examples of how so many numbers there are divisible by nine. i guess the webmaster forgot that one out of every nine numbers is divisible by nine. once you look at the odds, which are very good for this happening by accident, most of these theories fall apart. like yours.

the pattern you found is sooo fuzzy it could have come from nowhere else but a florida voting office. its not even an equation.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:54 PM   #99
meh.

Quote:
Ya know, a lot of you are dicks. Half of you sit around and wait for someone to post something that you can argue with, even certain moderators. Its sad really.
Go ahead. Say it. "Chris Brightwell."

I'm not going to ban you for not liking me.

Quote:
But i'll use immunity pass that everyone else uses. "Its my opinion that Tool made an alternate track order" [...]
And your basis is ... ?

Why would Tool make some ultra-awesome secret track order and not use it as opposed to the, umm, chosen track order?

Oh shit ... there I go again.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:01 PM   #100
Level 7 - Loquacious

As for waiting for an argument, for myself, I don't agree with you. Personally, I like to "keep it real" when people get real far out, as others have done for me. I hate to see people dilute themselves with all this 'secretive' crap of hidden messages, tracklists, and various other patterns. Everything has a pattern if you look for it, so what's the point of obsessing over one of them that you've found? I guess sarcasm is an aquired taste, but learn to take a joke man.

As for an 'immunity' pass, I think it's more like a stupidity pass. Personally I don't use that copout, that's what it is; It's for people who can't defend or explain themselves properly or thoroughly. And honestly, if you (informal) can't differentiate between fact and opinion without someone telling you "hey! this is what I think," then there is a greater underlying problem. EVERYTHING here is an opinion, some better than others, some closer to the truth than others. But the real question is "does it really matter?"
If your tracklist makes an emotional impact on you about YOU, then go for it. But don't fool yourself into beLIEving that Tool intended it, or worse, telling others that Tool intended it, like you know a cold, hard fact. And worse than that, when someone calls you out on it, surely don't cop out and backtrack by saying "it's my opinion."

Even if they did make an alternate track listing, it would only be relevant to the people that take the words and the music to heart; those that a new order would make a difference on how they explore themselves, not just how they explore the music. I'm sure you and others will have something to say about that one... and that's fine. But if everyone focused more on exploring themselves with the music rather than exploring the music with themselves, there would be a lot less posting here.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:02 PM   #101
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: number theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1256
about the alternate track list

here's an example of another meanigless obsession with numbers: there is a website i found about how the number nine is sacred in the bible, and gave a great many examples of how so many numbers there are divisible by nine. i guess the webmaster forgot that one out of every nine numbers is divisible by nine. once you look at the odds, which are very good for this happening by accident, most of these theories fall apart. like yours.

the pattern you found is sooo fuzzy it could have come from nowhere else but a florida voting office. its not even an equation.
A pattern of nine:
9x1=9----->9+0=9
9x2=18----->1+8=9
9x3=27----->2+7=9
9x4=36----->3+6=9
9x5=45----->4+5=9
9x6=54----->5+4=9
9x7=63----->6+3=9
9x8=72----->7+2=9
9x9=81----->8+1=9
9x10=90----->9+0=9
9x11=99----->9+9=18--->1+8=9
9x12=108----->1+0+8=9
9x13=117----->1+1+7=9
So on and so forth...
Old 03-14-2004, 01:47 AM   #102
Banned.

Bincount™: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell
Go ahead. Say it. "Chris Brightwell."

I'm not going to ban you for not liking me.

And your basis is ... ?

Why would Tool make some ultra-awesome secret track order and not use it as opposed to the, umm, chosen track order?

Oh shit ... there I go again.
I'm proud of you chris, you didnt go grammar nazi on anybody.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:25 PM   #103
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm not sure if anyone has read this site:

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/question/insight7.html

but it may just help out :)
Old 03-17-2004, 12:43 AM   #104
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
yesterday, I listened this alternative tracklisting (6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10) and I don`t hear the connection. Because I don`t give up easy I started reading the lyrics, I found out that this alternative tracklisting doesn`t tell a story, the official tracklisting does!!! I will post this story in a while......(end of the week I hope, If I have enough time).
Something else on this alternative tracklist: A Parabol is a different form as a Spiral so why start a spiral with a parabol?
As to be fair and support this track list a little, I know the story the alt. list tells. What? How? Why? Because it is my own story. All these songs have a specific meaning to my life; the only real meaning these songs have is what is applied by the listener. Therefore it's dismissive to say that it doesn't tell a story, just because it doesn't tell one to you. However, I don't believe it's proper to just change someone's work as you see fit, so I don't buy the idea of an alt. tracklist.

As for you and the "starting w/ a parabol," you must be thinking of the parabola.
PARABOL is not a real word. It sounds like 'parable' (oh my!!! a clue.), and it's also parabola minus the a. Big meaning man, big meaning... lol.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:09 AM   #105
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Is there a chance Tool gives us hints during there live shows??? Always starting with the Grudge and ending with Lateralus (I`ve seen 4 shows since Lateralus release...

Maybe, maybe, maybe.......

Aah well, I`m going back listening Lateralus.
On a very broad and general level, I think the song 'The Grudge' is about people stuck in the Ænima phase vs. people that 'get it' and move on. That album was, in my opinion, engineered to make you overwhelm yourself trying to understanding vagueness, if understanding vagueness is even possible, until something gives. It was designed to have people give themselves an ænima. If you stay too long trying to 'figure out' that stage, you will eventually wither and die. You had five years to figure it out and move on, to be ready and prepared for the next album.

Specifically to me, I can relate this to myself and old friends of the LSD days of long ago. We caught wind of the mystery concealed, did all the 'research,' if you want to call it that, and essentially fried ourselves. All the confusion ceased, for me, when I stopped looking at it like it was an external mystery; that album was specifically about my life. It's about the life of whoever's listening to it. So, conceptually, 'The Grudge' is the one who figured it out telling the others to let go of all the extraneous , the weight of this external mystery, and to forgive their 'scarlett lettermen,' and be forgiven for arguements over who was 'right' about that mystery which has no true meaning outside of the individual.

The only show of the Lateralus tour I saw started with 'Sober,' and they played it in near absolute darkness. It was followed by 'The Grudge,' which totally broke the bleakness; the stage lit up with two big faces, merged together to make a big column-looking thing. What does it mean? I see 'Sober' talking about their previous message, and the darkness as a visualization of that message; there is no light in thinking like that. It reminds me of sitting in the blacklight, tripping balls, going crazy, overanalysing the music for the 'hidden meaning.' I finally found the light inside myself, and I wish I could say the same for my ex-colleages...

This would get real long if I spoke about why they always end with 'Lateralis.' To speak real quick on the use of 'is,' it relates to 'ima' vs. the 'ema' of ænima, does it not?

Last edited by corps d'allumen; 03-17-2004 at 07:34 AM..
Old 03-17-2004, 12:47 PM   #106
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 430

My friend just asked me "Is it true if you play Lateralus in a certain order a demon is loosed?"
Old 03-17-2004, 12:58 PM   #107
Level 1 - Lurker

this goes along with the tree of life theory and the tarot theory.....all of wich i'm not too sure about...i can't remember it all but it goes deep into the thought that every song not goes into every point in the tree of life and each song has a corosponding reference to one of the major arcana in tarot cards...personnaly i don't think the band put that much thought into it....i think mabye it is a higher power at work there
Old 03-18-2004, 09:56 PM   #108
Level 7 - Loquacious

Mike Patton is a genius...

Can you feel it, see it, hear it today?
If you can't, then it doesn't matter anyway
You will never understand it cuz it happens too fast
And it feels so good, it's like walking on glass
It's so cool, it's so hip, it's alright
It's so groovy, it's outta sight
You can touch it, smell it, taste it so sweet
But it makes no difference cuz it knocks you off your feet
You want it all but you can't have it
It's cryin', bleedin', lying on the floor
So you lay down on it and you do it some more
You've got to share it, so you dare it
Then you bare it and you tear it
It's in your face but you can't grab it
It's alive, afraid, a lie, a sin
It's magic, it's tragic, it's a loss, it's a win
It's dark, it's moist, it's a bitter pain
It's sad it happened and it's a shame
"What is it?"
It's it
"What is it?..."
Old 03-20-2004, 06:10 PM   #109
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 61

Quote:
Mike Patton is a genius...

Can you feel it, see it, hear it today?
If you can't, then it doesn't matter anyway
You will never understand it cuz it happens too fast
And it feels so good, it's like walking on glass
It's so cool, it's so hip, it's alright
It's so groovy, it's outta sight
You can touch it, smell it, taste it so sweet
But it makes no difference cuz it knocks you off your feet
It's cryin', bleedin', lying on the floor
So you lay down on it and you do it some more
You've got to share it, so you dare it
Then you bare it and you tear it
It's alive, afraid, a lie, a sin
It's magic, it's tragic, it's a loss, it's a win
It's dark, it's moist, it's a bitter pain
It's sad it happened and it's a shame
"What is it?"
It's it
"What is it?..."

What does the lyrics to Epic-Fatih No More have to with the thread?
Enlighten me
Old 03-20-2004, 06:50 PM   #110
.TP
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli70
My friend just asked me "Is it true if you play Lateralus in a certain order a demon is loosed?"
believe me, is true.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:26 AM   #111
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanherbsman
What does the lyrics to Epic-Fatih No More have to with the thread?
Enlighten me
You'll have to enlighten yourself, but, I'll give you a clue: "what is it?" is the question everyone has in their minds...
Old 04-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #112
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
you guys are fools, i never thought people that were into to Tool could be such fools
the hell is wrong with being a fool? to be uninformed and have divine forces watching out for me, seems a lot better than to be half-informed and act like an asshole about it.

Quote:
Parabol Parabola is in E, so is Schism, which parabola ends in guitar in e and schism begins with guitar in e, then schism ends and goes directly into drums then bass for Ticks and Leeches, all the while adam jones drops to D and then begins playing, then you have mantra, adam tunes the third string to E for Lateralus, so your looking from the top down at D,A,E, then you have Faaip and the tuning of the third string is back to D so it's D,A,D, like it was in Ticks, then the tuning remains the same for The Grudge, Triad, Eon Blue, then the drums start Reflection which gives adam time to tune back to D,A,E, which he rides through reflection, the patient, and dispostion

okay, schism is in D, fucknut. the notes for the first chord are d, f, b-flat. Dm6, or an inverted Bb-major chord. the third string is normally a g-string. maybe you mean the fourth string.

Quote:
the next bit of lyrics are too deep for the most of you to understand having to do with separating the body from the mind
meaning you don't know? or you have an idea of what it represents, but can't communicate it to the rest of us? then maybe we could do without your bullshit boasts about having all the answers, they're not helping us out any.

Quote:
-as you grow, you begin to realize that not everything is in black and white or exactly as it seems.
so why did he pick the colours red and yellow? just random choices i guess?

Quote:
we'll also discuss the musical aspect of things, so that you morons who refuse to believe the alternate track order may be slightly enlightened.
i don't even feel the slightest bit more enlightened.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:10 PM   #113
Level 4 - Thinker

NBC sync

ok so this is going kind of back into the thread, but about the NBC sync
this answer is not going to satisfy all the "omg secret message" people (such as myself) or the "it's just a coincidence" people either, but check it out anyway:

so let's say the Aenima-NBC sync i heard about was a coincidence
now one of the band members hears about the sync. they make their next album sync after hearing about the first sync. thus justin wears the costume. if i was in the band, and one of my discs synched, i would kind of want to make something out of it. its pretty cool, especially if the first time it was an accident and you got the sync for doing absolutely no extra work

by the way for the REAL hidden meanings of lateralus check out my favorite 5-page thread "new meaning to the world La->.....blah blah whatever. none of that's a coincidence.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #114
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well, while we're bitching about it, I -can- tell you that Tool did not intend for you all to sling shit back and forth about this. So if someone's being closed-minded, ignore that, and if you're the one being closed-minded, open up (or eat shit and die :) )

Lateralus has plenty of possible track orders. If one means more to you than another, listen to it that way. Did you buy Lateralus as a piece of music to listen to or to have Tool dictate it to you in lecture format? Listen to it with the CD in upside down if that creams your twinky.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:36 PM   #115
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1891

i wonder if this is going to be like the "synch" with Pink Floyd and the Wizard of Oz... with lots of pages and info on how to synch, and what lyrics go witht he movie, that would be nice to read, not see. I never saw Pi, but I have to now. am a tool.

People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:11 AM   #116
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Guys, there is no such thing as coincidence, but then i don't no how much of the coincidence Tool really intended.

But if you really want to understand Tool, why don't you try to do exactly what they did, as good as you can (and maybe you can find some help too).

Thank you Paraflux for you wonderful contribution. I'm not sure you intended this, because it's a long shot. But indeed, maybe i'm the one in the bubble.

Here's the interview:

MD: What were the first and last songs written for Lateralus?

Danny: "The Grudge" was first, "Triad" was last.

MD: That's almost in the album's running order.

Danny: Yes, it's funny, we hadn't even thought about the order of the
album until we got to the mastering lab. we wrote the song titles on
pieces of paper, shifted them around, and the final order came out
almost exactly in the order we had written them.

Now do as they do.

We want to take 13 pieces of paper, write the song titles on them, shift them around and come out "almost exactly" in the order the songs were written originally by Tool. I don't know that order.

So shift them around and keep in mind the album track order and the alternate track orders that schismgrudge2000 and Metratron's Cube posted here. See if any spirals emerge by your shifting them around.

Another hint may be that grudge could be on either one or ten.

Update: i wrote down 13 on faaip de oiad and 12 on triad. I realize now that i perhaps i will want to try this with 11 tracks also, merging disposition and reflection into triad. But perhaps that will not be necessary, or expedient.

I've arranged the 13 pieces in the order on the album, shifted 6 and 7, exchanging their positions. Then, finding parabol and parabola out of their usual order, i exchanged 6 with 5, making the order: 6, 7, 5.

Come to think of it, parabol after parabola doesn't sound bad at all, aeither!

Last edited by Atratus; 04-25-2004 at 08:47 AM..
Old 04-26-2004, 12:55 AM   #117
reddish v3.0

Bincount™: 169

The song tracks on Lateralus all seem to have a message or emotion that they're trying to convey. So it would make sense that no matter how you arranged it would tell a story. I listened to the alternate track order. It sounded pretty good. Good enough to be intentional, but not good enough to replace old Lateralus. If you like it your way better then I suppose that's all that matters but it seems odd to start with something other than T&L or The Grudge.

1. The Grudge = forgiveness
3. The Patient = patience
5. Schism = communication
6. Parabol = realisation of unimportance of the body
7. Parabola = acceptance
8. Ticks & Leeches = digust for things that hold you back
9. Lateralis = lateral thinking, exploration
10. Disposition = peace
11. Reflection = unity
12. Triad = power, freedom
Old 04-26-2004, 05:14 AM   #118
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well, yeah, tunia. Most poeple write their songs so that they have a point.

There is not <i>perscribed</i> "secret order", as far as I'm concerned to care. Against that -- Parabol/Parabola and Disp/Ref/Triad song orders. Another thing I don't know if you all noticed is the continuity of the "turning on" sound at the beginning of the album and the shutting off at the end. I don't think there's a secret order unless you invent one yourself.

And if you do, that's fine. But don't go around telling everyone that you solved some amazing Tool puzzle, because all you did was take a tesselation and rearrange the pieces.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #119
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518

there is no alternative track listing . . .
Old 04-27-2004, 04:12 PM   #120
reddish v3.0

Bincount™: 169

Chris said that there were 6,000,000 and he's a boyscout, so I'll take his word on it. (*)

Also: I just read my other post and realised that it didn't make any sense.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: