opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2007, 03:47 AM   #401
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29
Re: 2007/01/24 - Sydney, AUS - Entertainment Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24_01_07 View Post
Hell yeah! Do you guys think that Tool at the BDO will be better than a stand alone side gig? In my opinion, Tool would be the BDO, so, I aint missin' out on nothin'! (in that regard). I can't wait for next Wednesday - been waiting soooo long for this!
Nah, def not. Theres an element called "atmosphere" that cannot be replicated at a festival. Stand-alone concerts tend to get that "group-think" atmosphere happening, and it can push a gig to greater heights.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #402
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha View Post
AWESOME. Thanks for all the info! Will look into DNBBQ. And were def gna check out Home nightclub, by the sounds of it, wel be right at home! lol Me n my mate drop on the odd occasion, mainly at events (raves, not concerts), so wed have absolutely no problem with the club, lol. About the Hippy High Herb store, do they sell bongs n pipes n watnot?? Me n my mate wana pick-up a nice bong n pipe for our week there, its gonna be needed, lol.
Ummm from memory i don't think so, its like a really hippy based store I'm sure the person at the counter would know where to find a store that sells bongs etc. You will surely find it somewhere in newtown that place has everything hehe.

Quote:
Hell yeah! Do you guys think that Tool at the BDO will be better than a stand alone side gig? In my opinion, Tool would be the BDO, so, I aint missin' out on nothin'! (in that regard). I can't wait for next Wednesday - been waiting soooo long for this!
Noooooo wayyyyyyyy, the sideshow is going to be a MONSTER in comparisson to bdo dude!! Think about it, your in a room with diehard tool fans who all lined up for hours and got a ticket within the first 20 mins (or however long it took to sell out.) The people on the floor all got theres within the first 5 mins! If not then they forked out big bucks on ebay to get themselves there. Surrounded by thousands of roaring fans will create an intense vibe. Plus we are garaunteed their intense laser show (which probably won't even be used at bdo? who knows) the sound will be engineered far better at the sideshow as well.

At bdo you will be surrounded by tool fans and lots of muse,killers,jet etc fans who are just watching tool to get their moneys worth. Won't be the same.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #403
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

hello to all fellow tool lovers, after weeks of hassles i have finally got myself an account on T.D.N. and i must say i agree with the last comment. My cousin is flying up from tassie (which is also where im from, yay tassie) for the melbourne big day out and i laughed at him, saying hahahahaha id much rather be going to the sydney stand alone concert than melbournes big day out, coz its gonna be all tool baby cant wait, managed to score myself a gold seat for the sydney gig, WOO HOO only five sleeps to go ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #404
Level 7 - Loquacious

Welcome sabre :P

Hey did any of you have a laugh whilst reading the Janurary newsletter? haha love it, btw does anyone assume blair to be leaving clues in relation to the setlist alteration?

"Bummer, too, as I was looking forward to posting daily updates about the Tool shows, commenting on the set lists, lighting, projections, and stage design (that already people are waffling and yabbering about, wondering if it's going to be same guest list for every show again)"

"That wasn't mentioned in the eulogy, now was it Jimmy? (Sure to get a flood of emails about this.)"
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #405
Level 2 - Poster

I remember seeing Tool on the 2001/02 tours and they came onstage about 8:30 - 9ish even with a support band, people were running from everywhere to their seats. Speaking of seats, i have 2 Gold GA tix that im insterested in swapping for Gold seats if anyone is interested
Cheers
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-16-2007, 11:34 PM   #406
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickma View Post
Ummm from memory i don't think so, its like a really hippy based store I'm sure the person at the counter would know where to find a store that sells bongs etc. You will surely find it somewhere in newtown that place has everything hehe.

Noooooo wayyyyyyyy, the sideshow is going to be a MONSTER in comparisson to bdo dude!! Think about it, your in a room with diehard tool fans who all lined up for hours and got a ticket within the first 20 mins (or however long it took to sell out.) The people on the floor all got theres within the first 5 mins! If not then they forked out big bucks on ebay to get themselves there. Surrounded by thousands of roaring fans will create an intense vibe. Plus we are garaunteed their intense laser show (which probably won't even be used at bdo? who knows) the sound will be engineered far better at the sideshow as well.

At bdo you will be surrounded by tool fans and lots of muse,killers,jet etc fans who are just watching tool to get their moneys worth. Won't be the same.
My thoughts exactly - Tool on their own will be something special! Like you say, like minded people instead of those (BDO types), that are like, "well, Tool are playing, we could see them I guess..." And then to have every man and his dog there, taking up valuable space! A Tool show will suit me just fine...

Last edited by 24_01_07; 01-16-2007 at 11:45 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #407
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
My thoughts exactly - Tool on their own will be something special! Like you say, like minded people instead of those (BDO types), that are like, "well, Tool are playing, we could see them I guess..."
Exactly. The vibe at a tool-only gig will be insane.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-17-2007, 12:24 AM   #408
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
My thoughts exactly - Tool on their own will be something special! Like you say, like minded people instead of those (BDO types), that are like, "well, Tool are playing, we could see them I guess..." And then to have every man and his dog there, taking up valuable space! A Tool show will suit me just fine...
I really don't know how I managed this but I got through at about 9.25 on the internet and managed to get two floor tix. Everyone I have spoken to said they were getting sold out messages by then. Thank the gods I got through, as they say it must be meant to be!

But yeah I totally agree with what you are saying, plus I think the light show will be a lot cooler indoors as the boots I have seen show lasers and stuff on the roof too.

Last edited by boristheb; 01-17-2007 at 12:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-17-2007, 12:32 AM   #409
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

I think if you are a fan then the SEC gig is the place to be.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #410
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Would also be very keen on natural stuff, like mountain ranges etc etc etc. ANYTHING, lol.
If you come to Newcastle I'll buy you a beer at the Beaches Hotel? And take you to the Bogie Hole.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #411
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA View Post
If you come to Newcastle I'll buy you a beer at the Beaches Hotel? And take you to the Bogie Hole.
Good ol' Newie!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 AM   #412
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickma View Post
Welcome sabre :P

Hey did any of you have a laugh whilst reading the Janurary newsletter? haha love it, btw does anyone assume blair to be leaving clues in relation to the setlist alteration?

"Bummer, too, as I was looking forward to posting daily updates about the Tool shows, commenting on the set lists, lighting, projections, and stage design (that already people are waffling and yabbering about, wondering if it's going to be same guest list for every show again)"

"That wasn't mentioned in the eulogy, now was it Jimmy? (Sure to get a flood of emails about this.)"
yeah that was pretty well done i must say :D. If they played eulogy it would be *insert large adjective*:O:O:O
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #413
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristheb View Post
I really don't know how I managed this but I got through at about 9.25 on the internet and managed to get two floor tix. Everyone I have spoken to said they were getting sold out messages by then. Thank the gods I got through, as they say it must be meant to be!

But yeah I totally agree with what you are saying, plus I think the light show will be a lot cooler indoors as the boots I have seen show lasers and stuff on the roof too.
I lined up in the city from like 6am and at 9:04 a few people came out from the front of the line and yelled "FLOOR SOLD OUT"

we thought it was a joke but it wasn't.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #414
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

Thank ticketmaster for not setting a ticket limit :P

What's the Entertainment Centre like as a venue? Standard arena or does it have any particularly good/bad features?
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #415
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Originally Posted by white horse View Post
Thank ticketmaster for not setting a ticket limit :P

What's the Entertainment Centre like as a venue? Standard arena or does it have any particularly good/bad features?
My one and only show at SEC was Tool back in 2001, and it seemed like a good venue to me. Sound was fine (and I was seated way off to the side) and the atmosphere was pretty good.

Pretty standard arena though. Seats were pretty comfy i thought too.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #416
Level 7 - Loquacious

That's good, sound can be iffy at some arenas.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #417
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
My one and only show at SEC was Tool back in 2001, and it seemed like a good venue to me. Sound was fine (and I was seated way off to the side) and the atmosphere was pretty good.

Pretty standard arena though. Seats were pretty comfy i thought too.
same thing at brisbane [BEC].
i think the sheer volume compensated for any shitty acoustic.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2007, 01:27 AM   #418
Level 4 - Thinker

Every concert I have seen at the SEC has been fantastic sound wise. On a separate note those who have GA tix when will you begin queuing up? My mates and I are going to hit the pubs around the SEC pretty early, that way we can gauge how big the line is getting.

Oh yeah don't forget that Tool are playing NZ tomorrow, so we should get a pretty good idea of what setlist/light show to expect.

Last edited by boristheb; 01-18-2007 at 01:30 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #419
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

Oh yeah don't forget that Tool are playing NZ tomorrow, so we should get a pretty good idea of what setlist/light show to expect.
GOOD POINT!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #420
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA View Post
Awesome, wel see if we can make it there, good to see such welcoming people in the world. And yeh, wel get some kinda idea about the set, although, i think if tool have got a little more up their sleeves (seeing as though theres no support act as far as we know, im not hoping for it, but wouldnt be surprised) theyl wana keep it for the side-show's, well i think they would.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2007, 04:05 AM   #421
Level 8 - Vociferous

Btw, anyone know what the deal is with being searched at the entrances and whether or not point-n-shoot cameras are allowed or not? Dunno how this stuff works in sydney.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #422
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Btw, anyone know what the deal is with being searched at the entrances and whether or not point-n-shoot cameras are allowed or not? Dunno how this stuff works in sydney.
Depends on the venue/band. I've been to the Hordern recently and I'm pretty sure they expressly allowed point n shoot cameras but not video cameras. That said, when APC played there a few years ago they weren't allowed.
I remember at the Tool gig in 01/02 that they were checking for recording equipment upon entry (full pat down).

HTH

- Tokes
Old 01-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #423
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1600

Quote:
i'd expect the festival stage setup to be smaller.. & setlist to be a tad shorter.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #424
Level 7 - Loquacious

tool will request no cameras at all.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #425
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
tool will request no cameras at all.
Yeh good luck enforcing that at a BDO show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #426
Level 7 - Loquacious

but they can for this particular show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #427
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
but they can for this particular show.
Oh most definitely, I certainly wont be trying anything...its not worth it. But I do expect a whole bunch of boots from the BDO shows.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 AM   #428
njm
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

This probably been said, but the ticketmaster7.com site says there are no support acts for this show. So if Tool start at 8... will they play for 3 hours!!

Does anyone think the newsletter on the tool website is hinting at a varied setlist?
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:51 AM   #429

Bincount™: 1

Good News:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3929432a1860.html

Quote:
The tens of thousands of fans ate up every second, and Tool gave them a religious experience to saviour with brilliant versions of Stinkfist, The Pot and 46&2.

Front man Maynard James Keenan promised us a special guest, and out popped System of a Down front man Serj Tankian to join in with some closing screams on Stinkfist. Does it get better?

Er, yes, actually. Keenan promised Tool will be back in New Zealand in September. My mouth is watering already.
I'd say we can look forward to seeing them later in the year. Good news for people who didnt make it this time round.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:16 AM   #430
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by njm View Post
This probably been said, but the ticketmaster7.com site says there are no support acts for this show. So if Tool start at 8... will they play for 3 hours!!

Does anyone think the newsletter on the tool website is hinting at a varied setlist?
They played in Hawaii last year with no support and did a fairly standard setlist.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-19-2007, 03:59 AM   #431
Level 2 - Poster

For me, seeing these guys (mind you for the first [belated time]) will be .... words cannot explain what I am feeling... expletively awesome! I cannot wait until Wednesday! Just be thankful for what we so rarely get to see here!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #432

I'm sitting in some pretty lame seats - almost right up the back. Mid section 24 for those of you with seating plans. Never been to this venue before, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of what these seats will be like. Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 04:42 AM   #433
Level 7 - Loquacious

I don't know if any of you read what Penny posted?

EXPECT TOOL TO BE BACK IN AUS IN SEPTEMBER!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-19-2007, 05:01 AM   #434
crows before hoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
I'm sitting in some pretty lame seats - almost right up the back. Mid section 24 for those of you with seating plans. Never been to this venue before, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of what these seats will be like. Thanks
I sat in Section 20, about halfway back in 2001, and while it was off to the side a bit, it was still a pretty good view. Was a great spot to watch Danny from. The venue is small enough that you don't feel that you're sitting too far back.

Having said that, nothing quite beats being on the floor imo.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
I sat in Section 20, about halfway back in 2001, and while it was off to the side a bit, it was still a pretty good view. Was a great spot to watch Danny from. The venue is small enough that you don't feel that you're sitting too far back .
I remember seeing a show at the Brisbane Ent Centre and sitting pretty much as far away from the stage as you could get - that was pretty balls. Just hoping it won't detract from the hellish-ness of the night.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #436
crows before hoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
I remember seeing a show at the Brisbane Ent Centre and sitting pretty much as far away from the stage as you could get - that was pretty balls. Just hoping it won't detract from the hellish-ness of the night.
Yeah, I'm pretty much right at the back this time, but at least I'm directly in front of the stage. I'll be taking my binoculars....
Old 01-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #437
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Hurray for floor :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D ;)

well i hope tool brings along some form of special guest, as they apparently did for the NZ gig... tho perhaps someone other than serj?

And im still rediculously holding out for some kind of extended changed up setlist... tho ill be in ecstacy no matter what they do.

If they dont this time around, it would make sense that they would come september when they will apparently be back around. So seein shows with both set list nd what not apeals to my somewhat :D
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #438
Level 4 - Thinker

Considering the NZ BDO setlist:

Quote:
Stinkfist (alt. with long scream)
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism (with sped up middle)
Rosetta Stoned (no lost keys)
Sober (feat. Serj Tankian)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema
and people have been saying their set lasted ~85 minutes, what songs do you expect them to play at the Sydney sideshow?

I don't think they'll play for a full 3 hours... I reckon if we get a 120 minute set we'll be lucky. So that's like 40 minutes more of songs... I would love The Grudge, Eulogy, Third Eye or Pushit.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #439
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokes View Post
Considering the NZ BDO setlist:

and people have been saying their set lasted ~85 minutes, what songs do you expect them to play at the Sydney sideshow?

I don't think they'll play for a full 3 hours... I reckon if we get a 120 minute set we'll be lucky. So that's like 40 minutes more of songs... I would love The Grudge, Eulogy, Third Eye or Pushit.
About 20-30 of those minutes will be taken up by wings and various segues/interludes (we will get lost keys for example). That only leaves one song, which will probably be either swamp song or right in two...if we are lucky. My guess is that we will get the standard set list they have been playing since wings was introduced.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-20-2007, 03:27 AM   #440
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
About 20-30 of those minutes will be taken up by wings and various segues/interludes (we will get lost keys for example). That only leaves one song, which will probably be either swamp song or right in two...if we are lucky. My guess is that we will get the standard set list they have been playing since wings was introduced.
Back in September - yeHA!!!! I think they will make this gig really special.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: