opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 03. Sober
User Name
Password
Old 12-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 84
sober and stinkfist

I think that both of these songs go back to the same principal. i know that there is a literal meaning to the song of being sober and doing drugs or drinking. but im talking about the fact that in the lyrics it says "why cant we not be sober", that means in one sense why cant we get stoned when we want or get drunkk, but in another sense it could mean why cant we as a human race be sober. why do we constantly need to fill that gap or void in our lives with drugs or superficial substances. that is like in stinkfist when it basically says we dont feel anything until we have a fist up our ass.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 130
Re: sober and stinkfist

in Stinkfist though, it's not necessarily talking about a substance, more about media and the likes in my opinion. But i can see where your coming from when you say they both have the same underlying principle
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

ya i didnt mean that stinkfist was also about substances it is about the media but i think that you understood waht i was going for with the principal of the songs.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

I also think that the drugs mentioned in sober are responsible for making our country more tranquilized and more numb to the things that go on around us. im not saying drugs are a bad thing, not at all, but its just an idea. when people are high they are less receptive to all that is going on in the world, and more receptive to what they have there and then, and it takes alot to get them to feel any differently.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
On Probation

Can we honestly not love drugs?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Dont get me wrong i dont think that drugs are bad. I dont like heroin or crack/coke, because they dont give you a view inside yourself and they are so addictive that people NEED them. drugs like lsd and salvia, etc. They give you a biew inside of your being and enlighten you. But by no means are drugs bad.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

I agree with you 100% all of the pyschadelic drugs are very benificial to ones spirituality. your absoulutly right man.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
On Probation

Seriously you guys are bad influences. This makes drugs sound like really good candy lol
Old 12-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
On Probation

One day when a friend of mine was at my house, we decided to go get some shrooms out of my neighbors field. We picked about 32 of them (they were all ridiculously small though) and were planning on eating them, but we both pussied out and just ended up selling them.

Good times...
Old 12-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Ya man those psychadelic drugs are good. salvia is especially insightful. althouhg next time i do it ill be taking a higher dose, to gain the maximum effect of it.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
On Probation

There are SPECIES of them too?
God damn, maybe I don't know as much as I though...
Old 12-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

No im talking about the potency of the drugs like 5x 10x 20x, so on. the most i think is 80 and that shit is supposed to be insane. but if your looking for an experience stay away from the 5 and 10 go with mabey 20-30x for the first time.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #13
On Probation

I was replying to Rivek actually lol
Old 12-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Oh... i'm embarassed. dammit
Old 12-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
On Probation

Well they were really small, cream colored stems and flat, dark brown caps.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

I've never tried shrooms before. what is a good type to start out on?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #17
On Probation

I would guess the ones that me and my friend found because they are very small, but i'm honestly not sure.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 AM   #18
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

apc: "drunk on ego"

/thread
Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #19
On Probation

Who's drunk on ego here?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Everyone is in some way drunk on ego. please nobody dont even try to deny that, it is human nature
Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Back to the original point of this thread...I know buzzkill right?

I think that "Stinkfist" has more in common with "Vicarious" than it does with "Sober." "Stinkfist" and "Vicarious" seem to both be about disillusionment and being numbed by the media. I also believe there is a violent undertone to "Stinkfist."

I don't think that "Sober" has anything to do with substance abuse. I think that when the speaker of the song references being sober, he/she is talking about being honest (I posted a whole interp on a thread called "My take on the song sober," so you can reference that.

My point is that I don't really think that "Sober" and "Stinkfist" have that much in common except that they both start with "S".
Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

well ya that could be true, but thats not what i was saying the only point i was making is that both deal with needing something else , such as drugs or a fist up your ass to get throguh life. i know that drugs is not the point of sober, and that stinkfist really isnt about taking a fist up the ass but if you look at both of those songs from taht perspective they do share a little bit more in common than just the letter "s", which was a good observation btw.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #23
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Coke, Crack, Heroin, Meth, Speed, and related substances are dangerous and do nothing for you, thus, imo, they're bad.

LSD, salvia, psilocybin, and the like are not nearly as damaging, if at all. LSD actually has the lowest toxicity of almost any substance that can be classified a drug. They're good.
I'm just curious. Why is LSD not legally available if it's toxicity is that low? Alcohol for instance is considered a harddrug but is not forbidden.

BTW Disposition, watch out on those shrooms outdoors., some could be lethal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides
Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit View Post
well ya that could be true, but thats not what i was saying the only point i was making is that both deal with needing something else , such as drugs or a fist up your ass to get throguh life. i know that drugs is not the point of sober, and that stinkfist really isnt about taking a fist up the ass but if you look at both of those songs from taht perspective they do share a little bit more in common than just the letter "s", which was a good observation btw.
Okay, perhaps I misuderstood your post then. However, I don't really think that "Sober" is about needing anything. Again, my interp of the song is available in the aforementioned thread, but I disagree that "Sober" is about needing anything. I think that it is a song about self loathing, in the same vein as "Hurt" by NIN (which I realize is a song about addiction, but Trent Reznor makes no references to needing anything in that song).

I still hold that "Stinkfist" has more in common with "Vicarious" than it does with "Sober." I think that "Sober" is a much more personal song while "Stinkfist" and "Vicarious" are both condemnations of the masses.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
I'm just curious. Why is LSD not legally available if it's toxicity is that low? Alcohol for instance is considered a harddrug but is not forbidden.

BTW Disposition, watch out on those shrooms outdoors., some could be lethal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides
And yes, again as the representative science nerd, the majority of mushrooms that you will find commonly growing in your neck of the woods (assuming you are in the continental US) are going to be poisonous to some degree and I would make Damn sure that you know what you are eating before you do it.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well thank you for posting an actual good piece of feedback. i was beggining to lose hope. haha we got a littel side tracked. and i agree lsd should be legal, if salvia is why the fuck isnt lsd
Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 AM   #27
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguru85 View Post
And yes, again as the representative science nerd, the majority of mushrooms that you will find commonly growing in your neck of the woods (assuming you are in the continental US) are going to be poisonous to some degree and I would make Damn sure that you know what you are eating before you do it.
Yeah , i don't know shit about shrooms as in drugs but i'm no science nerd. I just read disposition's posts and figured he'll consume any mushroom he could find.

You can't be warned enough IMO.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
salvia lasts only a fraction of the duration of the average lsd high.

I do not think lsd should just be freely legal and available, simply because there are too many dumbasses out there who dose on it just to be goofy and end up having hardcore bad trips that put them or others in danger. At best, were it legal, it should only be available to people who have attained a license for such proving that they know how to manage set and setting.
Perhaps this is just an urban legend, but I have heard that abusing LSD (using it in excessive quantities, which a person unfamiliar with it might) can lead to pretty serious mental illness. I mean from neurochemistry standpoint, it could be possible if it damages some sort of receptor or messes with neurotransmitter levels. I mean, researchers have linked some forms of Schizophrenia to dramatically increased dopamine levels (I think it was dopamine). Anyone ever heard/seen anything to lead creedence to this?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit View Post
I agree with you 100% all of the pyschadelic drugs are very benificial to ones spirituality. your absoulutly right man.
I can see that I will fit right in here. hehehehehe
Old 01-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #30
Jedi Master

Quote:
salvia lasts only a fraction of the duration of the average lsd high.

I do not think lsd should just be freely legal and available, simply because there are too many dumbasses out there who dose on it just to be goofy and end up having hardcore bad trips that put them or others in danger. At best, were it legal, it should only be available to people who have attained a license for such proving that they know how to manage set and setting.
But, in general, the same is happening with alcohol. There are dumbasses enough that have proven themselves that they can't handle it.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Ahh, that makes much more sense. I like the idea of a genetic predisposition for mental illness being activated by the use of drugs. I smell a movie script!! Anyway, I didn't actually think that LSD abuse could cause mental illness, but I had heard it and wanted to see if anyone more knowledgeable on the subject had ever come across anything
Old 01-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

damn rivek you knwo your stuff man. i did some salvia and ya it lasted really short but the dose waas also very low. It was really trippy though, i deff recomend it. WARNING. DO NOT THINK!!! JUST ACCEPT WHATEVER COMES OUT OF IT!!! IF YOU QUESTION THATS WHEN YOU GET FUCKED UP!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #33
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Yeah , i don't know shit about shrooms as in drugs but i'm no science nerd. I just read disposition's posts and figured he'll consume any mushroom he could find.

You can't be warned enough IMO.
How did I at all suggest that I would eat any shroom I could find? I'm not fucking retarded.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #34
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*»€«(Đispositioń)»€«*~* View Post
How did I at all suggest that I would eat any shroom I could find? I'm not fucking retarded.
When i was reading your post 13, 16 & 21 i figured you dug up some shrooms that where unknown to you but you were about to consume them.

But if i misread that, please forgive.......
Old 01-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

i have been educated thank you rivek:) i put that site under my favorites, its really interesting.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Both of you.

Educate yourselves.
I am not interested in that sort of education. My interest was purely from a Biology/Physiology standpoint. I remember reading about research that was conducted, a while ago I think, regarding using LSD to simulate schizophrenic symptoms in order to gain a better understanding of the illness. Apparently scientists believed that the drug worked on the chemistry of the brain resulting in a neurochemical state resembling that of a person suffering schizophrenia. My question was really intended to see if anyone had come across anything to lend creedence to this whether it was actual published research or just some form of anecdotal evidence.

I have no interest in obtaining or using any of these drugs. However, their chemistry and effects on the human body/brain pique my interest as a scientist.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

ya man i wish i had my interact forum back then i could go back on the "self medication forum".

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: