Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2010
User Name
Password
kabir's Avatar kabir
07-07-2010, 10:26 PM

Post reviews only if you were there, please!

Third Eye (with extended ending sequence)
Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist (Extended Version)
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance (with an extended sequence)
Schism (with the extended section)
46 & 2
Lateralus (with Rajas' drummer doing solos with DC)
Aenema

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]

Last edited by McRoggles; 07-11-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116
07.10.2010 - Seattle, WA @ Key Arena

Post reviews only if you were there, please!

Jambi
(-) Ions
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
46 & 2
Aenema

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]

Last edited by McRoggles; 07-11-2010 at 09:35 PM..
OFFLINE |  
BatteryMan's Avatar BatteryMan
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM

same show as I saw at Red Rocks.

In no particular order (though still fairly accurate):

Third Eye
Jambi
(-)Ions
Stinkfist (extended)
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Vicarious
Schism
Forty Six & 2
-Intermission-
Lateralus
Ænema

great show! 5th time seeing Tool, and still just as great as every other show!

Though, Red Rocks was a much better venue...

they need to stop ass-raping fans for tour shirts!!! $40 a piece? I mean, I'll pay it, but holy fuck...
Old 07-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: 07.10.2010 - Seattle, WA @ Key Arena

Third Eye
Jambi
(-)Ions
Stinkfist (extended)
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Vicarious
Schism
Forty Six & 2
-Intermission-
Lateralus
Ænema

they need to stop ass-raping fans for tour shirts!!! $40 a piece? I mean, I'll pay it, but holy fuck...
OFFLINE |  
nedak's Avatar nedak
07-10-2010, 11:24 PM

Amazing show! I'll go into more detail tomorrow. But to sum it up for now- it was similar to all the other shows.

Also Batteryman, Vicarious was before The Patient.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Amazing show! I'll go into more detail tomorrow. But to sum it up for now- it was similar to all the other shows.

Also Batteryman, Vicarious was before The Patient.
OFFLINE |  
Tantobourne
07-10-2010, 11:27 PM

3rd eye
jambi
ions
extended stinkier fist
eba
vicarious
more eba
the patient
intolerance
schism
46&2
lateralus with 2nd drummer
aenima

Fourth show for me but nothing topped my first. I choked down 200+ dollars like a fanboi and ended up with a 6th row seat that was pretty schweet. Security was all about no cameras and even though people all around me were getting away with pics, the one time I take a shot I get my battery pulled or the choice of getting my battery back and having to leave. Meh.

I liked the extended stinkier fist and the drum off during lateralus was a treat. Nothing beats seeing Danny splitting a big grin at the other drummer while they both wail away. Maynard played his usual incredulous "wtf" when the drummer came out and earlier on he did the usual "raise your hand if you're xxx" routine.

Hopefully they'll tour next year. My kiddo will be 14 and I promised him that the next show Tool does will be him and I.

~meep
Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64

3rd eye
jambi
ions
extended stinkier fist
eba
vicarious
more eba
the patient
intolerance
schism
46&2
lateralus with 2nd drummer
aenima

Fourth show for me but nothing topped my first. I choked down 200+ dollars like a fanboi and ended up with a 6th row seat that was pretty schweet. Security was all about no cameras and even though people all around me were getting away with pics, the one time I take a shot I get my battery pulled or the choice of getting my battery back and having to leave. Meh.

I liked the extended stinkier fist and the drum off during lateralus was a treat. Nothing beats seeing Danny splitting a big grin at the other drummer while they both wail away. Maynard played his usual incredulous "wtf" when the drummer came out and earlier on he did the usual "raise your hand if you're xxx" routine.

Hopefully they'll tour next year. My kiddo will be 14 and I promised him that the next show Tool does will be him and I.

~meep
07-11-2010, 12:12 AM

Great show!!

My favorite song of the night (they all were my fav) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fxqxFvIELA
Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show!!

My favorite song of the night (they all were my fav) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fxqxFvIELA
OFFLINE |  
BeyondTheInfinite's Avatar BeyondTheInfinite
07-11-2010, 12:55 AM

The setlist (to eliminate confusion) was:

Jambi
(-) Ions
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
46 & 2
Aenema

The confusing part happened when Adam began playing EBA and then Justin slowly walked across the stage and spoke with him. He then started the sequence to play Vicarious. Then, EBA and The Patient was played. This is the same setlist as the other shows. Unlike past shows there was no encore. They just played through until the end with a small break before Lateralus to setup the second drum kit.

This was a treat of a show and I'm stoked to see them for the next two shows in California. Bill Graham here we come. Also, found a friend of a best friend who is doing sound for them this tour and got hooked up with aftershow party tickets in SF. Should be exciting if the band members attend!!!! I can't wait.

SO:KG:A!
09-30-02 Anchorage, AK, 05-02-06 Seattle, WA, 08-22-06 Vancouver, BC, 08-27-06 George, WA, 10-06-06 East Rutherford, NJ, 10-07-06 Wantagh, NY, 12-01-07 Victoria, BC, 12-04-07 Everett, WA, 12-05-07 Portland, OR, 12-07-07 Spokane, WA, 12-08-07 Nampa, ID, 12-11-07 San Francisco, CA, 07-10-10 Seattle, WA, 07-12-10 San Francisco, CA, 07-13-10 Sacramento, CA, 01-28-12 Boston, MA, 02-08-12 Duluth, GA
Old 07-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Jambi
(-) Ions
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
46 & 2
Aenema

The confusing part happened when Adam began playing EBA and then Justin slowly walked across the stage and spoke with him. He then started the sequence to play Vicarious. Then, EBA and The Patient was played. This is the same setlist as the other shows. Unlike past shows there was no encore. They just played through until the end with a small break before Lateralus to setup the second drum kit.

This was a treat of a show and I'm stoked to see them for the next two shows in California. Bill Graham here we come. Also, found a friend of a best friend who is doing sound for them this tour and got hooked up with aftershow party tickets in SF. Should be exciting if the band members attend!!!! I can't wait.

09-30-02 Anchorage, AK, 05-02-06 Seattle, WA, 08-22-06 Vancouver, BC, 08-27-06 George, WA, 10-06-06 East Rutherford, NJ, 10-07-06 Wantagh, NY, 12-01-07 Victoria, BC, 12-04-07 Everett, WA, 12-05-07 Portland, OR, 12-07-07 Spokane, WA, 12-08-07 Nampa, ID, 12-11-07 San Francisco, CA, 07-10-10 Seattle, WA, 07-12-10 San Francisco, CA, 07-13-10 Sacramento, CA, 01-28-12 Boston, MA, 02-08-12 Duluth, GA
OFFLINE |  
ZionsLion
07-11-2010, 01:18 AM

Not even sure what to say... What I saw was AWESOME! This is my 5th show or thereabouts. Karma seemed to have it out for me this time. After the first song, I was ejected because people around me were smoking herb. I guess having dreadlochs means that if anyone around me is smoking herb, I'm guilty for it.

After a lot of explaining, and persistence, I was finally let back in, just in time to hear Schism and the rest.

This show was a good one for me, but more on a personal level.

My favorite part was when Maynard said "One way or another..... It's gonna be alright" and with that he led into Aenema.

I wonder what the security jerks will be thinking when they see that tidal wave coming...
Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Not even sure what to say... What I saw was AWESOME! This is my 5th show or thereabouts. Karma seemed to have it out for me this time. After the first song, I was ejected because people around me were smoking herb. I guess having dreadlochs means that if anyone around me is smoking herb, I'm guilty for it.

After a lot of explaining, and persistence, I was finally let back in, just in time to hear Schism and the rest.

This show was a good one for me, but more on a personal level.

My favorite part was when Maynard said "One way or another..... It's gonna be alright" and with that he led into Aenema.

I wonder what the security jerks will be thinking when they see that tidal wave coming...
OFFLINE |  
Tipharet
07-11-2010, 07:30 AM

This was prob my 20th show and it was one of the best shows Ive seen. It possibly rivals early lateralus tour shows. The guys were just amazing and watching them was a clear reminder that they are merely channels and conductors funneling what they are playing from clearly somewhere else.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

This was prob my 20th show and it was one of the best shows Ive seen. It possibly rivals early lateralus tour shows. The guys were just amazing and watching them was a clear reminder that they are merely channels and conductors funneling what they are playing from clearly somewhere else.
OFFLINE |  
OCDT's Avatar OCDT
07-11-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useful_Jerk Off View Post
Security was gay as fuck, I got bitched at by some dude for holding my lighter in the air during EBA...then got bitched at by another dude for standing on my chair...whatever though....
Of course you're gonna get told off for standing on your chair, because it means the people for two rows behind you cant see the stage.

Some guy was two rows in front of me, standing on his chair, and he blocked pretty much the entire show, jumping around on it and throwing constant devil horns for two hours. I did not pay to see that shit
Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Security was gay as fuck, I got bitched at by some dude for holding my lighter in the air during EBA...then got bitched at by another dude for standing on my chair...whatever though....
Of course you're gonna get told off for standing on your chair, because it means the people for two rows behind you cant see the stage.

Some guy was two rows in front of me, standing on his chair, and he blocked pretty much the entire show, jumping around on it and throwing constant devil horns for two hours. I did not pay to see that shit
07-11-2010, 05:21 PM

Another great show. Random dude gave me a chunk of cookie with some L on it. Haven't seen them high like that in 9 years. The patient and intolerance were my favs of the night. The drummer that came out was the best I've seen since they started doing that.

Posters and shirts have gone up since RR, kinda lame.

Drivin to SF tomm after some OR coast camping.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Another great show. Random dude gave me a chunk of cookie with some L on it. Haven't seen them high like that in 9 years. The patient and intolerance were my favs of the night. The drummer that came out was the best I've seen since they started doing that.

Posters and shirts have gone up since RR, kinda lame.

Drivin to SF tomm after some OR coast camping.
OFFLINE |  
nembutals
07-11-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
then got bitched at by another dude for standing on my chair...
You deserved it for being a cock to everyone behind you.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #11

Quote:
then got bitched at by another dude for standing on my chair...
You deserved it for being a cock to everyone behind you.
OFFLINE |  
nedak's Avatar nedak
07-11-2010, 07:55 PM

I'd also like to mention that MJK was wearing his Cowboy Hat tonight and Danny was wearing a UW Huskies Jersey!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'd also like to mention that MJK was wearing his Cowboy Hat tonight and Danny was wearing a UW Huskies Jersey!
OFFLINE |  
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
07-11-2010, 10:23 PM

I've been seeing these guys live bunches of times on each tour since '92 and this was one of their best shows ever. Was worried they were maybe getting too old and bored but this was an amazing performance. Saw them play in the Key Arena back for the Lateralus tour and this was far superior. Can't wait for them to come back. Might have to do a Vancouver, Seattle, Portland trio next time.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

I've been seeing these guys live bunches of times on each tour since '92 and this was one of their best shows ever. Was worried they were maybe getting too old and bored but this was an amazing performance. Saw them play in the Key Arena back for the Lateralus tour and this was far superior. Can't wait for them to come back. Might have to do a Vancouver, Seattle, Portland trio next time.
07-11-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheInfinite View Post

What after party are you referring to for SF?

I was in Seattle, so please, kindly, don't delete this. It feels like Burning Man around here with all these goddamn rules...mwhaha...
Old 07-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheInfinite View Post

What after party are you referring to for SF?

I was in Seattle, so please, kindly, don't delete this. It feels like Burning Man around here with all these goddamn rules...mwhaha...
OFFLINE |  
pjfan73
07-12-2010, 08:52 AM

Does anybody know who the 2nd drummer was?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  
ramijuar
07-12-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfan73 View Post
The guy from the opening band rajas i think
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
The guy from the opening band rajas i think
OFFLINE |  
ramijuar
07-12-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryMan View Post

Third Eye
Jambi
(-)Ions
Stinkfist (extended)
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Vicarious
Schism
Forty Six & 2
-Intermission-
Lateralus
Ænema

$75 for the seattle shirt. I thought i was the only one who went to the red rocks show and seattle show. Red rocks was sick, better venue for sure, but I saw them the second night at red rocks and I will say that the seattle show had more energy. Although I would not trade Flood at red rocks for anything. Both shows were amazing.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryMan View Post

Third Eye
Jambi
(-)Ions
Stinkfist (extended)
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Vicarious
Schism
Forty Six & 2
-Intermission-
Lateralus
Ænema

$75 for the seattle shirt. I thought i was the only one who went to the red rocks show and seattle show. Red rocks was sick, better venue for sure, but I saw them the second night at red rocks and I will say that the seattle show had more energy. Although I would not trade Flood at red rocks for anything. Both shows were amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Matthew77's Avatar Matthew77
07-12-2010, 10:09 AM

This show was amazing!!!!! It was show #12 for me and it definitely ranks up in my top shows. I didn't even know I was going until 3 days before the show. My neighbor won a pair of front row tickets and he needed some money because he is going to Sturgis so he sold them to me for $300 for the pair. $150 to see Tool front row was worth every penny. I was pretty much right in front on Maynard. I won't ever buy tickets the day go on sale again. I will pay the extra dollars on a resale sight and get seat close to the stage. It was awesome being that close without having to get squashed between people. The setlist was like Beyondtheinfinite posted. Maynard was kind of talkative. After Third Eye he said the whole "for the next 2 hours.........." then before Intolerance he asked "How many people are under 21, under 25? Well this song was written when you under 5 or not even born yet." After the drum off he said something to the guys in white coats that were taking the drums of the stage. I am pretty sure he said "Thank you umpaloompas" Then right before Aenima he said something like "One way or another it will all work out". My highlight songs were The Patient, Intolerance and Lateralus. Extended version of Stintfist was awesome also. So was the sped up version of Schism. I can't wait to see them again. Thank you TOOL!!!!!! It was a night I will never forget!

Last edited by Matthew77; 07-12-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

This show was amazing!!!!! It was show #12 for me and it definitely ranks up in my top shows. I didn't even know I was going until 3 days before the show. My neighbor won a pair of front row tickets and he needed some money because he is going to Sturgis so he sold them to me for $300 for the pair. $150 to see Tool front row was worth every penny. I was pretty much right in front on Maynard. I won't ever buy tickets the day go on sale again. I will pay the extra dollars on a resale sight and get seat close to the stage. It was awesome being that close without having to get squashed between people. The setlist was like Beyondtheinfinite posted. Maynard was kind of talkative. After Third Eye he said the whole "for the next 2 hours.........." then before Intolerance he asked "How many people are under 21, under 25? Well this song was written when you under 5 or not even born yet." After the drum off he said something to the guys in white coats that were taking the drums of the stage. I am pretty sure he said "Thank you umpaloompas" Then right before Aenima he said something like "One way or another it will all work out". My highlight songs were The Patient, Intolerance and Lateralus. Extended version of Stintfist was awesome also. So was the sped up version of Schism. I can't wait to see them again. Thank you TOOL!!!!!! It was a night I will never forget!

Last edited by Matthew77; 07-12-2010 at 10:11 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Love4Fire
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM

The setlist stayed the same for this show, and I was just fine with that! After seeing the reviews and watching some videos of the 2009 tour, I was a little worried about this tour. I was really hoping that they would not just rehash the same old setlist and visuals from the 2007, 2009 tour. Well they must have been listening to the fans! New visuals, new songs, and I feel that Maynard was way more into it this tour and his vocals sounded amazing! Although I'm not sure why he says the exact same thing every night, it seems that would get a little boring. Oh well, I'm not really there to hear him babble I guess. It's all about the music! And boy did it sound tight. I thought the mix in the arena was great. I could hear everything perfectly, especially the vocals. Maynard still has those pipes! I really enjoyed the drum battle this time. The second drummer was very good and held his own to DC! Best battle so far! Aenema, Intolerance, and Third eye were the highlights for me. Just amazing. First time seeing Third eye and intolerance live and they did not disappoint!!(Like that's even possible) At the end of the show Maynard ran to each member and kind of gave them awkward high fives, Adam didn't even look up at him and kind of half asses the high five, Maynard then walked right off the stage while the rest of the guys through stuff into the crowd and ate up the applause. This was my 6th Tool show and I would rate it number two, right below the show at the gorge in 2006. Also, the crowd and security were very cool! I was in section 101 and took some videos, didn't get harassed once! Thank you Maynard, Justin, Danny, and Adam for another Tool experience I will never forget! Spiral out...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

The setlist stayed the same for this show, and I was just fine with that! After seeing the reviews and watching some videos of the 2009 tour, I was a little worried about this tour. I was really hoping that they would not just rehash the same old setlist and visuals from the 2007, 2009 tour. Well they must have been listening to the fans! New visuals, new songs, and I feel that Maynard was way more into it this tour and his vocals sounded amazing! Although I'm not sure why he says the exact same thing every night, it seems that would get a little boring. Oh well, I'm not really there to hear him babble I guess. It's all about the music! And boy did it sound tight. I thought the mix in the arena was great. I could hear everything perfectly, especially the vocals. Maynard still has those pipes! I really enjoyed the drum battle this time. The second drummer was very good and held his own to DC! Best battle so far! Aenema, Intolerance, and Third eye were the highlights for me. Just amazing. First time seeing Third eye and intolerance live and they did not disappoint!!(Like that's even possible) At the end of the show Maynard ran to each member and kind of gave them awkward high fives, Adam didn't even look up at him and kind of half asses the high five, Maynard then walked right off the stage while the rest of the guys through stuff into the crowd and ate up the applause. This was my 6th Tool show and I would rate it number two, right below the show at the gorge in 2006. Also, the crowd and security were very cool! I was in section 101 and took some videos, didn't get harassed once! Thank you Maynard, Justin, Danny, and Adam for another Tool experience I will never forget! Spiral out...
OFFLINE |  
tempathy's Avatar tempathy
07-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Saw Danny take off with his lady friend on a bike about 3 hours before the show, that was surreal to see him bike off right in front of me
Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #20

Bincount™: 17

Saw Danny take off with his lady friend on a bike about 3 hours before the show, that was surreal to see him bike off right in front of me
07-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Holy Fuck!
Amazing show....they never fail to impress the hell out of me. They could play the same set evry night and I'd still pay to watch them. I thought the sound was just flawless, the low end made my hair stand on end. CRUSHING bottom end!!
My favorite part of the night was definitely the drum off in Lateralus...holy shit!
I mentioned it here before, but I saw Rajas at the Troubador in los angeles a few months back on Blair's suggestion, they sounded about the same, but I had no idea the drummer could play like that.
Danny was clearly getting off on the back and forth shredding.
I hope somebody recorded that.
And if anyone is going to any of the other shows...PLEASE TAPE THE DRUM OFF!!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Holy Fuck!
Amazing show....they never fail to impress the hell out of me. They could play the same set evry night and I'd still pay to watch them. I thought the sound was just flawless, the low end made my hair stand on end. CRUSHING bottom end!!
My favorite part of the night was definitely the drum off in Lateralus...holy shit!
I mentioned it here before, but I saw Rajas at the Troubador in los angeles a few months back on Blair's suggestion, they sounded about the same, but I had no idea the drummer could play like that.
Danny was clearly getting off on the back and forth shredding.
I hope somebody recorded that.
And if anyone is going to any of the other shows...PLEASE TAPE THE DRUM OFF!!
OFFLINE |  
nedak's Avatar nedak
07-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Did anybody else see the girl in the bikini that had the Tool wrench/penis tramp stamp? Fucking hilarious.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Did anybody else see the girl in the bikini that had the Tool wrench/penis tramp stamp? Fucking hilarious.
OFFLINE |  
Double J
07-12-2010, 06:17 PM

This will be a very long review by a first-time TOOL show-goer. It looks massive, but it'll probably only take about 5 minutes to read.

THE BUILDUP
This was my first show. I’ve been a TOOL fan for a long time, but only really got into them since between Aenima and Lateralus (which is still a long time ago), and before this I had never seen them live. I had no idea they were even on tour until I randomly heard a radio commercial advertising that tickets were going on sale in a few days. Apparently the show was not on the original schedule, and they added it just weeks before the tour started. I believe this is the first time they’ve been in Seattle since 2006. I’m still pissed that I missed the show at The Gorge, so I was burning to see them. They sold out in less than hour, and so to the scalpers I went. I only know a couple of other people who are big fans, and they either couldn’t go or wouldn’t drop the cash to get floor seats, so ended up going solo. Their loss.

I had a couple of concerns, mainly that Key Arena is not known for stellar sound, and that the band might not be very energetic since they just did a show in Vancouver the night before. I was also kind of bummed that it was all assigned seating with no general admission.

THE SHOW
I was at the very end of the 6th row, all the way to the left (MY left, on Adam’s side of the stage). I still think the pulsing mosh pit of general admission really adds to the energy of a show, but I discovered that having an assigned seat also has some major advantages. I could go to the bathroom and not have to fight my way back to a good spot through 5,000 people. I didn’t have people’s sweaty BO all over me (please, concert-goers – I know you love your “alternative” lifestyle, but you’re in public now… TAKE A SHOWER!), and I didn’t have a crowd surfer kicking me in the back of the head every 5 minutes. I am 6’3” so visibility is usually not an issue. However, being in the end seat and very close to the stage meant that I was right in the security hornet’s nest. I wasn’t going to get away with anything (but I did manage to take one blurry photo with my iPhone).

The opening band was “Rajas.” Never heard of them. They were OK. The drummer was really good. This was probably the most tightly scheduled rock concert I’ve ever been to. Rajas went on at about 8:05 and played five or six songs, getting off the stage by about 8:40. The crew started setting up for TOOL. Then at about 8:57 they started playing that super-deep thumping bass track over the speakers to let everybody in the arena know the show was about to start. Lights went down just after 9.

I knew the setlist beforehand, of course. They started with some subtle visuals and repeated the “Think for yourself; question authority” line over and over. Then Adam, Justin, and Danny came out to huge cheers, and assumed their usual spots. They started picking away at Third Eye and then a shadowed Maynard appeared on the platform left of Danny, and the effects started in earnest. Maynard started with the mohawk, but would later don the cowboy hat.

The entire back of the stage was one giant, long, bright screen that displayed crazy high-def visuals. For the whole show, Maynard was an almost-totally black silhouette in front of it, never once a spotlight on him. It was fucking awesome. He was like this perfect human shadow puppet in front of a mind-blowing graphics and light show, doing his hunched, jerking style of moving, waving his cowboy hat, dancing, screaming and kicking – just really getting into it, but in a weird subdued way like only Maynard does. He was, in essence, exactly as I imagined, and it rocked. The only thing was that, from my perspective, a lot of time Adam was directly in my line of sight to Maynard, but it wasn’t a huge deal.

Danny, however, steals the show. The man is a machine, there’s no two ways about it. There are drummers, there are good drummers, there are spectacular drummers, and then there’s Danny. Seeing it live, you really see that without him, there is no TOOL. He pounds and crashes like a god throwing down thunder and lightning with laser precision. I can’t describe it, you just have to see it. Adam is kind of a stump. I was closest to him, so I got the best look at him. He barely moves. I think I may have actually seen him yawning at one point. Whatever, his guitar still sounds good. Justin was way over on the other side of the stage, but from what I saw he pretty much just head-bangs most of the time, throwing down his pounding, complex bass.

The stage was set up with the aforementioned giant screen that was the entire width of the stage, about 9 feet tall and about 70 feet wide (or however wide the stage was), and that was the main visual element, but there were many, many more. Above that was a giant area that went all the way up to the ceiling that they could project things onto, and on the far right of that area was a huge 7-pointed star. There were also two big screens, about 8ft square, one each behind Adam and Justin on the sides. These could move up and down and be tilted. They had robotic light rigs, a really cool laser setup, and two more screens suspended high in the air at the extreme left and right sides, on which they showed what I like to call “mind-fuck” videos. About as much shit as the human brain can process, all perfectly choreographed to the music. Being in the 6th row was a little too close to take it all in, though.

The set was killer, and even though I knew the songs ahead of time, the live performance changes it to the point where you don’t exactly know what’s happening and you’re still excited when you hear some familiar beginning tones. Third Eye was an awesome, 15-minute opener. Jambi is a song I haven’t listened to very much, and I don’t know why, because it’s now one of my new favorites. Jambi is when they really started cranking the visuals. (-) Ions was the “let’s tone it down” section with a cool visual of an electric arc spark moving across the stage in time with the sound effect.

Then they kicked you in the ass with an extended, altered version of Stinkfist. I think it was during Stinkfist when they started using the lasers. Then Vicarious. If there was ever a song that could literally tear the roof off of a building, this is it. Danny was a godamned freight train, and Maynard held nothing back. EBA and The Patient were more awesomeness. Then they went old-school with Intolerance, with Maynard really screaming “You LIE, CHEAT, STEAL! You LIE, CHEAT, STEAL!” and the crowd going wild. Schism is an amazing song when you listen to it on an iPod. Seeing it live is almost a religious experience. Then… 46 & 2. God, what an amazing song. There’s just something about that opening bassline that quietly says “You are about to get raped in the ass by music. And you are going to love it.” Plus the drums are just phenomenal.

They left the stage after that, but an encore is so obligatory at any show that they didn’t even do a fake “Hey, we’re done now, but if you cheer loud enough we might come back” routine. They just left and put a really cool dark green-black-blue, spiral-ly, fractal-ly visual on the screen and played some ominous ambient track for about ten minutes. It’s not like we were wondering if they were going to come back out, and the crew was even setting up a smaller drum kit at the front of the stage the whole time. They came back and started Lateralus and had the drum battle, which was sweet to watch, and finished with Aenima. Every song in the set was extended and altered. A lot of times they would sort of piddle around between tracks, messing with the synthesizers and stuff to build it up.

Yeah, as someone else noted, there was a weird thing at the end. Right after the last song ended, Maynard quickly went around giving everyone high-fives (though they were really low-fives), and the other band members only seemed to half-acknowledge him, and then he immediately ran off stage. I don’t know, I guess it’s just the way they are. Maynard is weird. Adam, Justin, and Danny stayed around longer to wave and clap and thank the audience, and throw drumsticks and such. Danny got the biggest applause (and deservedly so), bowing and waving to the crowd.

FINAL THOUGHTS
WOW. Even as much as I had it built up in my head, it lived up to my expectations and more. The visual setup was just amazing, Maynard rocked it, and Danny tore the house down. The sound was actually really good. There might have been a few glitches, and Maynard was a bit muffled occasionally, but overall it sounded great. In the 6th row it really hit you in the gut, and my hearing will be a bit off for a few days. I brought cotton to put in my ears just in case I couldn’t take it, but I decided that hearing loss be damned, I was not going to muffle a TOOL concert. It kind of sucks that I had to go it alone, but without being certain that I’ll get another chance to see them, I had to go.

The 6th row was a little too close, I think. Ten more rows back and more towards the middle probably would have been perfect. One thing that really pissed me off is that someone at work said they were able to go to the box office just an hour before the show started and get 13th row floor seats for original face value (about $75), without even having to pay any bullshit TicketMaster fees. Yeah, I paid over $200 through an online scalper (sorry – “broker”). How the hell does the box office still have floor tickets to a show that sold out in less than an hour?

Last edited by Double J; 07-12-2010 at 08:24 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

This will be a very long review by a first-time TOOL show-goer. It looks massive, but it'll probably only take about 5 minutes to read.

THE BUILDUP
This was my first show. I’ve been a TOOL fan for a long time, but only really got into them since between Aenima and Lateralus (which is still a long time ago), and before this I had never seen them live. I had no idea they were even on tour until I randomly heard a radio commercial advertising that tickets were going on sale in a few days. Apparently the show was not on the original schedule, and they added it just weeks before the tour started. I believe this is the first time they’ve been in Seattle since 2006. I’m still pissed that I missed the show at The Gorge, so I was burning to see them. They sold out in less than hour, and so to the scalpers I went. I only know a couple of other people who are big fans, and they either couldn’t go or wouldn’t drop the cash to get floor seats, so ended up going solo. Their loss.

I had a couple of concerns, mainly that Key Arena is not known for stellar sound, and that the band might not be very energetic since they just did a show in Vancouver the night before. I was also kind of bummed that it was all assigned seating with no general admission.

THE SHOW
I was at the very end of the 6th row, all the way to the left (MY left, on Adam’s side of the stage). I still think the pulsing mosh pit of general admission really adds to the energy of a show, but I discovered that having an assigned seat also has some major advantages. I could go to the bathroom and not have to fight my way back to a good spot through 5,000 people. I didn’t have people’s sweaty BO all over me (please, concert-goers – I know you love your “alternative” lifestyle, but you’re in public now… TAKE A SHOWER!), and I didn’t have a crowd surfer kicking me in the back of the head every 5 minutes. I am 6’3” so visibility is usually not an issue. However, being in the end seat and very close to the stage meant that I was right in the security hornet’s nest. I wasn’t going to get away with anything (but I did manage to take one blurry photo with my iPhone).

The opening band was “Rajas.” Never heard of them. They were OK. The drummer was really good. This was probably the most tightly scheduled rock concert I’ve ever been to. Rajas went on at about 8:05 and played five or six songs, getting off the stage by about 8:40. The crew started setting up for TOOL. Then at about 8:57 they started playing that super-deep thumping bass track over the speakers to let everybody in the arena know the show was about to start. Lights went down just after 9.

I knew the setlist beforehand, of course. They started with some subtle visuals and repeated the “Think for yourself; question authority” line over and over. Then Adam, Justin, and Danny came out to huge cheers, and assumed their usual spots. They started picking away at Third Eye and then a shadowed Maynard appeared on the platform left of Danny, and the effects started in earnest. Maynard started with the mohawk, but would later don the cowboy hat.

The entire back of the stage was one giant, long, bright screen that displayed crazy high-def visuals. For the whole show, Maynard was an almost-totally black silhouette in front of it, never once a spotlight on him. It was fucking awesome. He was like this perfect human shadow puppet in front of a mind-blowing graphics and light show, doing his hunched, jerking style of moving, waving his cowboy hat, dancing, screaming and kicking – just really getting into it, but in a weird subdued way like only Maynard does. He was, in essence, exactly as I imagined, and it rocked. The only thing was that, from my perspective, a lot of time Adam was directly in my line of sight to Maynard, but it wasn’t a huge deal.

Danny, however, steals the show. The man is a machine, there’s no two ways about it. There are drummers, there are good drummers, there are spectacular drummers, and then there’s Danny. Seeing it live, you really see that without him, there is no TOOL. He pounds and crashes like a god throwing down thunder and lightning with laser precision. I can’t describe it, you just have to see it. Adam is kind of a stump. I was closest to him, so I got the best look at him. He barely moves. I think I may have actually seen him yawning at one point. Whatever, his guitar still sounds good. Justin was way over on the other side of the stage, but from what I saw he pretty much just head-bangs most of the time, throwing down his pounding, complex bass.

The stage was set up with the aforementioned giant screen that was the entire width of the stage, about 9 feet tall and about 70 feet wide (or however wide the stage was), and that was the main visual element, but there were many, many more. Above that was a giant area that went all the way up to the ceiling that they could project things onto, and on the far right of that area was a huge 7-pointed star. There were also two big screens, about 8ft square, one each behind Adam and Justin on the sides. These could move up and down and be tilted. They had robotic light rigs, a really cool laser setup, and two more screens suspended high in the air at the extreme left and right sides, on which they showed what I like to call “mind-fuck” videos. About as much shit as the human brain can process, all perfectly choreographed to the music. Being in the 6th row was a little too close to take it all in, though.

The set was killer, and even though I knew the songs ahead of time, the live performance changes it to the point where you don’t exactly know what’s happening and you’re still excited when you hear some familiar beginning tones. Third Eye was an awesome, 15-minute opener. Jambi is a song I haven’t listened to very much, and I don’t know why, because it’s now one of my new favorites. Jambi is when they really started cranking the visuals. (-) Ions was the “let’s tone it down” section with a cool visual of an electric arc spark moving across the stage in time with the sound effect.

Then they kicked you in the ass with an extended, altered version of Stinkfist. I think it was during Stinkfist when they started using the lasers. Then Vicarious. If there was ever a song that could literally tear the roof off of a building, this is it. Danny was a godamned freight train, and Maynard held nothing back. EBA and The Patient were more awesomeness. Then they went old-school with Intolerance, with Maynard really screaming “You LIE, CHEAT, STEAL! You LIE, CHEAT, STEAL!” and the crowd going wild. Schism is an amazing song when you listen to it on an iPod. Seeing it live is almost a religious experience. Then… 46 & 2. God, what an amazing song. There’s just something about that opening bassline that quietly says “You are about to get raped in the ass by music. And you are going to love it.” Plus the drums are just phenomenal.

They left the stage after that, but an encore is so obligatory at any show that they didn’t even do a fake “Hey, we’re done now, but if you cheer loud enough we might come back” routine. They just left and put a really cool dark green-black-blue, spiral-ly, fractal-ly visual on the screen and played some ominous ambient track for about ten minutes. It’s not like we were wondering if they were going to come back out, and the crew was even setting up a smaller drum kit at the front of the stage the whole time. They came back and started Lateralus and had the drum battle, which was sweet to watch, and finished with Aenima. Every song in the set was extended and altered. A lot of times they would sort of piddle around between tracks, messing with the synthesizers and stuff to build it up.

Yeah, as someone else noted, there was a weird thing at the end. Right after the last song ended, Maynard quickly went around giving everyone high-fives (though they were really low-fives), and the other band members only seemed to half-acknowledge him, and then he immediately ran off stage. I don’t know, I guess it’s just the way they are. Maynard is weird. Adam, Justin, and Danny stayed around longer to wave and clap and thank the audience, and throw drumsticks and such. Danny got the biggest applause (and deservedly so), bowing and waving to the crowd.

FINAL THOUGHTS
WOW. Even as much as I had it built up in my head, it lived up to my expectations and more. The visual setup was just amazing, Maynard rocked it, and Danny tore the house down. The sound was actually really good. There might have been a few glitches, and Maynard was a bit muffled occasionally, but overall it sounded great. In the 6th row it really hit you in the gut, and my hearing will be a bit off for a few days. I brought cotton to put in my ears just in case I couldn’t take it, but I decided that hearing loss be damned, I was not going to muffle a TOOL concert. It kind of sucks that I had to go it alone, but without being certain that I’ll get another chance to see them, I had to go.

The 6th row was a little too close, I think. Ten more rows back and more towards the middle probably would have been perfect. One thing that really pissed me off is that someone at work said they were able to go to the box office just an hour before the show started and get 13th row floor seats for original face value (about $75), without even having to pay any bullshit TicketMaster fees. Yeah, I paid over $200 through an online scalper (sorry – “broker”). How the hell does the box office still have floor tickets to a show that sold out in less than an hour?

Last edited by Double J; 07-12-2010 at 08:24 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Beaker
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM

House lights go out … Timothy Leary’s voice heard in the blackness while a skewed chaotic likeness is projected “Think for yourself: question authority... ” here we go …

Third Eye (with extended ending sequence). EPIC!!!! Tumbling trippy blueness. Raw industrial breathing and pounding anguish of prying. So good to see you I’ve missed you so much... The perfect opening song for a TOOL show, and has been the static opener in the ideal setlist I have maintained in my head since Aenema was released. I suppose a TOOL show is a place where some dreams become realities, and some realities become dreams. Third eye alone was worth the price of admission: a drunken frat douche bag could have shot Maynard square in retina of one or both of his first two eyes with a laser pointer at the end of this song, the show could have ended right then and there, and days away I would still have this same ridiculous Cheshire-grin on my face right now.

“Nevermind all the bullshit out there: for the next two hours everything is going to be okay.” Not sure exactly if there was any specific BS in the mind of the speaker at this time, wars overseas maybe, overburdened domestic healthcare system perhaps, or a little more local: the $70 Seattle t-shirts at the merch booths? Funnily enough I have a great live recording of HwaP where the instruments pause near the end and MJK says in a sarcastic sales pitch voice *We’re uh selling some new limited edition t-shirts out in the lobby: make sure you pick one up on your way out!* This being said I happily kicked down six twenties in exchange for the opportunity to get my gangly-Gollum fingers on my very own precious numbered, embossed, and signed by all 4 members show poster featuring custom artwork by AJ.

Guitars ripping over DC double bass drumming. Jambi. Orangey-redness. A floating lunging wide-stanced MJK silhouette rotating a fully extended arm: yep, it looks like all four decided to bring his respective A-game to the Pacific NW. Easily my favorite song from 10K days and deservedly one of the two songs from this album to make the cut, as it simply rocks live.

(-) Ions. Over the usual Jacob’s Ladder sound effect and visual, Adam repeatedly played a guitar riff that he kept bending and bending outward until it became the opening guitar wail for Stinkfist.

Stinkfist (Extended Version). Simply cannot get enough of that extended bridge climax with DC banging it out on that album version intro electronic-tabla-drum-thing. It is evident that the collective group is definitely firing on all cylinders: MJK shaped darkness crab-stomping and head rolling. The stage set design is incredible: a main screen spans the entire width of the stage flanked at the opposing lateral ends by the two guitarists beneath articulating screens and lights, between them and set further back is a second smaller raised stage which sits DC and his mighty drum kit adjacent to the lurking shadow of MJK. The front of this mini-stage is essentially part of the large main screen which has the effect of the latter two band members appearing suspended in mid air. (Note: The entire floor of the stage was no longer a white projection screen as per the last couple of times I’ve seen this band in the flesh and MJK and DC’s mini stages are connected and parallel to the front of the main stage). Two smaller static screens were suspended high up and beyond the breadth of the main stage. I did notice that suspended up at the very top center was a the illuminated geometric design from pervious shows, but this time it appeared to have the lunar cycle stages encircling it, and maybe it was just me on sensory overload, but these phases seemed to shift throughout the show. Anyone else notice this?

Eon Blue Apocalypse => Synth Jam. As mentioned in a previous post this was bizarre. Unable to wait until this show I had to peek at the previous tour stops setlists, and as such I was rather surprised to hear EBA immediately following Stinkfist. So was Justin apparently: as he set down his bass, slowly walked across the stage, hugged Adam and said something to him, after which EBA ceased and Adam tuned to his synthesizer thing and started playing that instead. The rest of the band joined in; Maynard and Danny on their respective synth’s and Justin kneeling over his bass. Occasional B&W close-up images of gametes projected behind, conceptions of a new song perhaps? This was actually a fairly long electronic jam that turned out to be a twisted dark Pink Floyd-esque interlude that was actually a show highlight for me.

Vicarious. Cue the laser beams. I definitely prefer this song pre-intermission, and definitely appreciate the fact that since it has been a recent closer that it still has the visuals one would expect from a song in the post-intermission slot, like fuckin’ kick-ass synchronized laser beam sequences. As per recent tours a silhouetted hand to ear beckoned the audience to sing the final lines instead of MJK.

Eon Blue Apocalypse Take II (uninterrupted this time) =>
The Patient. Spot on, such a good choice and executed to perfection. The sound @ the Key is surprisingly good this show, leaps and bounds better than last time I saw them here on the Lateralus tour. I cannot say whether it is a function of better equipment, audio engineers, or simply that my seat happens to be smack dab in center about half-way up the 100 level this go around.

“Raise your hand if you are under 21…23...25. This next song was written when you were five years old. It’s called perspective.” Personal realization at this moment: I was head-banging to “crawl away” while a good chunk of this crowd was literally still crawling away from their parents in diapers.

Intolerance (with an extended sequence). Snarling bass in the darkest of brooding reds. Animated Undertow logo creeping about. Mid song: surprise full stop … half a beat rest … uncharted extended territory in an old favorite: this is where you want to be. Pristine, and a big time show highlight. Undertow was my TOOL gateway in the early 90s. Elated to hear them play this song again (1st in ’94 in OR).

Schism (with the extended section). If my recollection is correct this one also had a fairly extended jam/interlude preceding it. The double-time extended section is a great addition for the live show: DC’s playing is white hot this evening.

46 & 2. One might suspect that this tour staple may get stale, but then one would be wrong. In a song that may (or may not) be about evolution it is interesting that this remains one of the few that is not musically modified from the album version for the live show. The visuals have continually evolved though: best part this time around was far and away the spiraling geometric projection centered on DC during his insane solo, he absolutely killed it from behind his levitating monster kit. Ingenious stage design, simply brilliant.

Intermission. Fractalish blue visuals with some trippy synth. DC re-enters and twists it into some insane base octave. Justin remerged double-fisting beer bottles.

Lateralus (with Rajas' drummer). The pinnacle of collective TOOL experience: existential, epic, and mind bending. That is all I can really saw about that (other than Adam strummed the opening guitar bit a few times before the band gathered at DC’s kit and starting the song in earnest).

“What the…?” when Rajas drummer walks on stage. The drum-off was tight. The Rajas drummer was seriously pounding away on that kit like he really meant it, all the while DC wearing a UW Hoops jersey and a giant smile levitated above and seemed to effortlessly play with a density of multiple times as many beats, perhaps one achieves a pair of Vishnu arms on that plane rhythmic nirvana.

“Inna Gadda DaVida Baby (?)” at the end of the drum-off… I couldn’t really make this out over the cheers and applause, but this is my best guess. I was surprised that the Rajas drummer got to play out the remainder of the song with the band and appeared to be loving every second of it. Last show I saw DC went the “feel the rhythm” section alone, so I’m not sure if this is typical or not for the guest percussionists.

“Thank you Umpa Lumpas” after the roadies cleared the Rajas kit before the evening’s final Maynardism: “One way or another it’s all going to work out. Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey…”

Aenema. Being from the Pacific NW, I’m always down from some good ol’ fashioned LA bashing. Performed with apocalyptic grandeur and brilliance of the subject matter within.

Shockingly, at the end Maynard did not immediately slip into the darkness, but dismounted tfrom he front of the floating mini stage, walked across the front of the main stage and acknowledged someone in the stands to the right hand side of the stage before exiting. Did anybody catch who that was? The rest of the band remained for good few minutes, soaking it in and applauding the crowd.

Thank you TOOL!!! Amazing show. Danny: you are the man. Best show ever? Well, I’d say it was my favorite post 10K Days show, and ranks amongst ’94 Salem Armory, and ’01 w/ King Crimson at Arlene Schnitzer in Portland so there’s some perspective for you.

Also, thank you also for the concert goers in section 107! No experience ruining shenanigans worth reporting. There was a shirtless blonde kid who was so amped up I thought he might actually piss himself, pass out, or some combination of the two before the show even started. More humorous than annoying really, and reminded me a bit of myself at that age.

Interesting side observation on the album song count: 0 Opiate: 1 non-album (counting the collective synth jam):1 Undertow: 2 10K days: 3 Lateralus (counting EBA/Patient as one): 5 Aenema (counting Ions(-) and Stinkfist separately). 0:1:1:2:3:5 is the starting of the Fibonacci sequence; a stretch I know, but I’m just saying is all. Spiral out mo fo’s.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

House lights go out … Timothy Leary’s voice heard in the blackness while a skewed chaotic likeness is projected “Think for yourself: question authority... ” here we go …

Third Eye (with extended ending sequence). EPIC!!!! Tumbling trippy blueness. Raw industrial breathing and pounding anguish of prying. So good to see you I’ve missed you so much... The perfect opening song for a TOOL show, and has been the static opener in the ideal setlist I have maintained in my head since Aenema was released. I suppose a TOOL show is a place where some dreams become realities, and some realities become dreams. Third eye alone was worth the price of admission: a drunken frat douche bag could have shot Maynard square in retina of one or both of his first two eyes with a laser pointer at the end of this song, the show could have ended right then and there, and days away I would still have this same ridiculous Cheshire-grin on my face right now.

“Nevermind all the bullshit out there: for the next two hours everything is going to be okay.” Not sure exactly if there was any specific BS in the mind of the speaker at this time, wars overseas maybe, overburdened domestic healthcare system perhaps, or a little more local: the $70 Seattle t-shirts at the merch booths? Funnily enough I have a great live recording of HwaP where the instruments pause near the end and MJK says in a sarcastic sales pitch voice *We’re uh selling some new limited edition t-shirts out in the lobby: make sure you pick one up on your way out!* This being said I happily kicked down six twenties in exchange for the opportunity to get my gangly-Gollum fingers on my very own precious numbered, embossed, and signed by all 4 members show poster featuring custom artwork by AJ.

Guitars ripping over DC double bass drumming. Jambi. Orangey-redness. A floating lunging wide-stanced MJK silhouette rotating a fully extended arm: yep, it looks like all four decided to bring his respective A-game to the Pacific NW. Easily my favorite song from 10K days and deservedly one of the two songs from this album to make the cut, as it simply rocks live.

(-) Ions. Over the usual Jacob’s Ladder sound effect and visual, Adam repeatedly played a guitar riff that he kept bending and bending outward until it became the opening guitar wail for Stinkfist.

Stinkfist (Extended Version). Simply cannot get enough of that extended bridge climax with DC banging it out on that album version intro electronic-tabla-drum-thing. It is evident that the collective group is definitely firing on all cylinders: MJK shaped darkness crab-stomping and head rolling. The stage set design is incredible: a main screen spans the entire width of the stage flanked at the opposing lateral ends by the two guitarists beneath articulating screens and lights, between them and set further back is a second smaller raised stage which sits DC and his mighty drum kit adjacent to the lurking shadow of MJK. The front of this mini-stage is essentially part of the large main screen which has the effect of the latter two band members appearing suspended in mid air. (Note: The entire floor of the stage was no longer a white projection screen as per the last couple of times I’ve seen this band in the flesh and MJK and DC’s mini stages are connected and parallel to the front of the main stage). Two smaller static screens were suspended high up and beyond the breadth of the main stage. I did notice that suspended up at the very top center was a the illuminated geometric design from pervious shows, but this time it appeared to have the lunar cycle stages encircling it, and maybe it was just me on sensory overload, but these phases seemed to shift throughout the show. Anyone else notice this?

Eon Blue Apocalypse => Synth Jam. As mentioned in a previous post this was bizarre. Unable to wait until this show I had to peek at the previous tour stops setlists, and as such I was rather surprised to hear EBA immediately following Stinkfist. So was Justin apparently: as he set down his bass, slowly walked across the stage, hugged Adam and said something to him, after which EBA ceased and Adam tuned to his synthesizer thing and started playing that instead. The rest of the band joined in; Maynard and Danny on their respective synth’s and Justin kneeling over his bass. Occasional B&W close-up images of gametes projected behind, conceptions of a new song perhaps? This was actually a fairly long electronic jam that turned out to be a twisted dark Pink Floyd-esque interlude that was actually a show highlight for me.

Vicarious. Cue the laser beams. I definitely prefer this song pre-intermission, and definitely appreciate the fact that since it has been a recent closer that it still has the visuals one would expect from a song in the post-intermission slot, like fuckin’ kick-ass synchronized laser beam sequences. As per recent tours a silhouetted hand to ear beckoned the audience to sing the final lines instead of MJK.

Eon Blue Apocalypse Take II (uninterrupted this time) =>
The Patient. Spot on, such a good choice and executed to perfection. The sound @ the Key is surprisingly good this show, leaps and bounds better than last time I saw them here on the Lateralus tour. I cannot say whether it is a function of better equipment, audio engineers, or simply that my seat happens to be smack dab in center about half-way up the 100 level this go around.

“Raise your hand if you are under 21…23...25. This next song was written when you were five years old. It’s called perspective.” Personal realization at this moment: I was head-banging to “crawl away” while a good chunk of this crowd was literally still crawling away from their parents in diapers.

Intolerance (with an extended sequence). Snarling bass in the darkest of brooding reds. Animated Undertow logo creeping about. Mid song: surprise full stop … half a beat rest … uncharted extended territory in an old favorite: this is where you want to be. Pristine, and a big time show highlight. Undertow was my TOOL gateway in the early 90s. Elated to hear them play this song again (1st in ’94 in OR).

Schism (with the extended section). If my recollection is correct this one also had a fairly extended jam/interlude preceding it. The double-time extended section is a great addition for the live show: DC’s playing is white hot this evening.

46 & 2. One might suspect that this tour staple may get stale, but then one would be wrong. In a song that may (or may not) be about evolution it is interesting that this remains one of the few that is not musically modified from the album version for the live show. The visuals have continually evolved though: best part this time around was far and away the spiraling geometric projection centered on DC during his insane solo, he absolutely killed it from behind his levitating monster kit. Ingenious stage design, simply brilliant.

Intermission. Fractalish blue visuals with some trippy synth. DC re-enters and twists it into some insane base octave. Justin remerged double-fisting beer bottles.

Lateralus (with Rajas' drummer). The pinnacle of collective TOOL experience: existential, epic, and mind bending. That is all I can really saw about that (other than Adam strummed the opening guitar bit a few times before the band gathered at DC’s kit and starting the song in earnest).

“What the…?” when Rajas drummer walks on stage. The drum-off was tight. The Rajas drummer was seriously pounding away on that kit like he really meant it, all the while DC wearing a UW Hoops jersey and a giant smile levitated above and seemed to effortlessly play with a density of multiple times as many beats, perhaps one achieves a pair of Vishnu arms on that plane rhythmic nirvana.

“Inna Gadda DaVida Baby (?)” at the end of the drum-off… I couldn’t really make this out over the cheers and applause, but this is my best guess. I was surprised that the Rajas drummer got to play out the remainder of the song with the band and appeared to be loving every second of it. Last show I saw DC went the “feel the rhythm” section alone, so I’m not sure if this is typical or not for the guest percussionists.

“Thank you Umpa Lumpas” after the roadies cleared the Rajas kit before the evening’s final Maynardism: “One way or another it’s all going to work out. Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey…”

Aenema. Being from the Pacific NW, I’m always down from some good ol’ fashioned LA bashing. Performed with apocalyptic grandeur and brilliance of the subject matter within.

Shockingly, at the end Maynard did not immediately slip into the darkness, but dismounted tfrom he front of the floating mini stage, walked across the front of the main stage and acknowledged someone in the stands to the right hand side of the stage before exiting. Did anybody catch who that was? The rest of the band remained for good few minutes, soaking it in and applauding the crowd.

Thank you TOOL!!! Amazing show. Danny: you are the man. Best show ever? Well, I’d say it was my favorite post 10K Days show, and ranks amongst ’94 Salem Armory, and ’01 w/ King Crimson at Arlene Schnitzer in Portland so there’s some perspective for you.

Also, thank you also for the concert goers in section 107! No experience ruining shenanigans worth reporting. There was a shirtless blonde kid who was so amped up I thought he might actually piss himself, pass out, or some combination of the two before the show even started. More humorous than annoying really, and reminded me a bit of myself at that age.

Interesting side observation on the album song count: 0 Opiate: 1 non-album (counting the collective synth jam):1 Undertow: 2 10K days: 3 Lateralus (counting EBA/Patient as one): 5 Aenema (counting Ions(-) and Stinkfist separately). 0:1:1:2:3:5 is the starting of the Fibonacci sequence; a stretch I know, but I’m just saying is all. Spiral out mo fo’s.
OFFLINE |  
kaneandy
07-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post

Because they don't really sell out... They withhold certain tickets for the show date...
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Because they don't really sell out... They withhold certain tickets for the show date...
OFFLINE |  
J. Foss
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM

That was a great show. The visuals and how they flowed across the stage were amazing from the 200 level. Did anyone else notice that all but two of the songs were played half a beat slow? It still sounded great, and Maynard's vocals were very pure, but when they played Intolerance at full speed it brought down the house for me. This is my seventh Tool show since 2006, and for an arena setting they sounded beautiful. Thanks for posting Maynard's quotes as the only one I remembered was the last, and the most positive. "...it'll all work out,"
Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

That was a great show. The visuals and how they flowed across the stage were amazing from the 200 level. Did anyone else notice that all but two of the songs were played half a beat slow? It still sounded great, and Maynard's vocals were very pure, but when they played Intolerance at full speed it brought down the house for me. This is my seventh Tool show since 2006, and for an arena setting they sounded beautiful. Thanks for posting Maynard's quotes as the only one I remembered was the last, and the most positive. "...it'll all work out,"
OFFLINE |  
Tantobourne
07-12-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
...I wasn’t going to get away with anything (but I did manage to take one blurry photo with my iPhone)....
Well at least you didn't get your camera battery ganked by security like the dude to the right of you. Nice write up for a 1st post. ~meep
Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #27
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
...I wasn’t going to get away with anything (but I did manage to take one blurry photo with my iPhone)....
Well at least you didn't get your camera battery ganked by security like the dude to the right of you. Nice write up for a 1st post. ~meep
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM

"feetcoldeyesred" up on youtube managed to get some nice footage from a few of the show off of stage right.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #28
Level 10 - Vehement

"feetcoldeyesred" up on youtube managed to get some nice footage from a few of the show off of stage right.
07-13-2010, 12:06 PM

Speaking of the cell phone policy, here is an interesting write up,

http://blog.seattlepi.com/afterdark/archives/214254.asp
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  
Tantobourne
07-13-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:

I really wanted to argue about this with security since the Key Arena website states a different policy for cameras while what was posted on the day of the venue explicitly noted "cell phone" cameras. Obviously this would have been a losing argument to take during the course of the show and I bit my tongue for want to piss in the wind and just sucked it up and went back to enjoying the show.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #30
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:

I really wanted to argue about this with security since the Key Arena website states a different policy for cameras while what was posted on the day of the venue explicitly noted "cell phone" cameras. Obviously this would have been a losing argument to take during the course of the show and I bit my tongue for want to piss in the wind and just sucked it up and went back to enjoying the show.
07-13-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I did notice that suspended up at the very top center was a the illuminated geometric design from pervious shows, but this time it appeared to have the lunar cycle stages encircling it, and maybe it was just me on sensory overload, but these phases seemed to shift throughout the show. Anyone else notice this?
No, you were tripping. It did have the lunar cycle around it, and from what I could see inside each phase was a black silhouette of some kind of tool, but it was just a picture. A fucking sweet picture. I really wanted to hide until the tear-down and steal it. I wish they would release prints of stuff like that.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I did notice that suspended up at the very top center was a the illuminated geometric design from pervious shows, but this time it appeared to have the lunar cycle stages encircling it, and maybe it was just me on sensory overload, but these phases seemed to shift throughout the show. Anyone else notice this?
No, you were tripping. It did have the lunar cycle around it, and from what I could see inside each phase was a black silhouette of some kind of tool, but it was just a picture. A fucking sweet picture. I really wanted to hide until the tear-down and steal it. I wish they would release prints of stuff like that.
OFFLINE |  
Beaker
07-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Hallucination, huh? Figures. Thanks for confiming Double J.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Hallucination, huh? Figures. Thanks for confiming Double J.
OFFLINE |  
Mr_chet
07-14-2010, 10:34 AM

9 dollar beers, 45 dollar shirts, 15 dollar parking, 100 dollar bar tab, 80 dollar tix, TOOL at the Key Arena.....FUCKING PRICELESS......it was worth every penny....I took my soon to be wife (july 17th is the day) she didnt really care for TOOL until this show...Now she is takin all my shit..lol I love Danny in the Huskey uniform....we were in the 125 level so Maynard was right if front of us...Justin and Adam were spot on as well. It was only my second show but I believe it was the best....I saw them in 98 in Nampa Idaho and all the drunks beating up kids pissed them off and they walked off the stage....I loved the visuals, I just wish it would have been a longer show...I guess that is why TOOL has so many loyal fans....We keep wanting more....of course I'm no expert..so "Think for Yourself........" (I BELIVE YOU KNOW THE REST)
Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

9 dollar beers, 45 dollar shirts, 15 dollar parking, 100 dollar bar tab, 80 dollar tix, TOOL at the Key Arena.....FUCKING PRICELESS......it was worth every penny....I took my soon to be wife (july 17th is the day) she didnt really care for TOOL until this show...Now she is takin all my shit..lol I love Danny in the Huskey uniform....we were in the 125 level so Maynard was right if front of us...Justin and Adam were spot on as well. It was only my second show but I believe it was the best....I saw them in 98 in Nampa Idaho and all the drunks beating up kids pissed them off and they walked off the stage....I loved the visuals, I just wish it would have been a longer show...I guess that is why TOOL has so many loyal fans....We keep wanting more....of course I'm no expert..so "Think for Yourself........" (I BELIVE YOU KNOW THE REST)
OFFLINE |  
Matthew77's Avatar Matthew77
07-15-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_chet View Post
Congrats man. Same thing happened with my wife back at the Everett show in 2007. She loves Tool after that show. And yes Tool always leaves me wanting more.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_chet View Post
Congrats man. Same thing happened with my wife back at the Everett show in 2007. She loves Tool after that show. And yes Tool always leaves me wanting more.
07-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Holy Experience. That is the best way I can describe TOOL's performance on 7.10 in the Key Arena.

My friend and I got there right after doors opened and therefore were each able to snag a poster (unsigned) for the show, really neat artwork as usual by the way. I love the embossed stamp Adam throws on the corner, cannot wait to examine it further... tons of alchemical symbols in use there. I also chose to get the CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC shirt with the bear on it, did anyone else see those?

Thought RAJAS was an excellent opener and thought I heard an ISIS influence there. No surprise since one of the members of ISIS is in RAJAS. Been listening to the 3 songs on their website all this week and will be ordering the CD (fuck iTunes) ASAP.

So I did peak at the New Orleans setlist and was therefore not totally surprised to see Tim Leary's trippy 3D face appear on screen exactly at 9 PM and knew what was to follow. I was fully feeling good that night, definitely had my mind blown by the journey of a song that is Third Eye. When they jammed right into the extension I was just in utter awe that I was hearing a new addition to a 14:00 song. They all could have walked off the stage after this opening song and that goes to show you what a band they've become.

The rest of the night was utter precision. They all rocked the Key Arena with authority. Danny is such a machine I am still unsure how he powers through an entire show. The highlights for me were definitely Third Eye, Stinkfist, Intolerance, and seeing the RAJAS drummer hold his own during Lateralus. Also the very end of Forty Six & 2 when the white lights shined at the end and you could see the entire arena full of madly energetic and appreciative TOOL fans. It was a beautiful thing to witness.

I am so thankful I could make the journey to see them Seattle, as it was my first time there or any place close to it out west. If the prelude to Vicarious is something we'll be hearing off the new album I am already super excited for it as it seems like a good new peaceful sound coming from them.

Thanks to everyone else in the crowd that night, I think we were truly privileged to see them like that and we definitely let them know. Probably the best TOOL experience I could ever ask for.
7/30/09 - Fairfax
7/10/10 - Seattle
1/24/12 - Toledo
6/23/12 - River's Edge
10/31/15 - Tempe
10/22/16 - Aftershock
6/17/17 - The Gorge
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

Holy Experience. That is the best way I can describe TOOL's performance on 7.10 in the Key Arena.

My friend and I got there right after doors opened and therefore were each able to snag a poster (unsigned) for the show, really neat artwork as usual by the way. I love the embossed stamp Adam throws on the corner, cannot wait to examine it further... tons of alchemical symbols in use there. I also chose to get the CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC shirt with the bear on it, did anyone else see those?

Thought RAJAS was an excellent opener and thought I heard an ISIS influence there. No surprise since one of the members of ISIS is in RAJAS. Been listening to the 3 songs on their website all this week and will be ordering the CD (fuck iTunes) ASAP.

So I did peak at the New Orleans setlist and was therefore not totally surprised to see Tim Leary's trippy 3D face appear on screen exactly at 9 PM and knew what was to follow. I was fully feeling good that night, definitely had my mind blown by the journey of a song that is Third Eye. When they jammed right into the extension I was just in utter awe that I was hearing a new addition to a 14:00 song. They all could have walked off the stage after this opening song and that goes to show you what a band they've become.

The rest of the night was utter precision. They all rocked the Key Arena with authority. Danny is such a machine I am still unsure how he powers through an entire show. The highlights for me were definitely Third Eye, Stinkfist, Intolerance, and seeing the RAJAS drummer hold his own during Lateralus. Also the very end of Forty Six & 2 when the white lights shined at the end and you could see the entire arena full of madly energetic and appreciative TOOL fans. It was a beautiful thing to witness.

I am so thankful I could make the journey to see them Seattle, as it was my first time there or any place close to it out west. If the prelude to Vicarious is something we'll be hearing off the new album I am already super excited for it as it seems like a good new peaceful sound coming from them.

Thanks to everyone else in the crowd that night, I think we were truly privileged to see them like that and we definitely let them know. Probably the best TOOL experience I could ever ask for.
7/30/09 - Fairfax
7/10/10 - Seattle
1/24/12 - Toledo
6/23/12 - River's Edge
10/31/15 - Tempe
10/22/16 - Aftershock
6/17/17 - The Gorge
OFFLINE |  
Jobin
07-21-2010, 09:07 AM

Show 2 of 5 for me of the tour. This show was so much better than the Vancouver, B.C. show. After watching this one, I felt that the B.C. show was more like a sound check than a show. Energy in Seattle was amazing. It was almost as if Tool showed up to say, hey Nirvana and the rest of the Seattle bands from class of '92, Fuck You!! We're still around blowing peoples minds. Best tour yet, 11th show for me overall. Thank you Gentlemen.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #36
Level 2 - Poster

Show 2 of 5 for me of the tour. This show was so much better than the Vancouver, B.C. show. After watching this one, I felt that the B.C. show was more like a sound check than a show. Energy in Seattle was amazing. It was almost as if Tool showed up to say, hey Nirvana and the rest of the Seattle bands from class of '92, Fuck You!! We're still around blowing peoples minds. Best tour yet, 11th show for me overall. Thank you Gentlemen.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply