opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 04-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
...to the oceans of my platitudes...

Bincount™: 2583
My interpretation

My idea is that this song is based on spirals and fractals because those are an extremely common motif for ascendency that Tool's members would definitely know about. Having said that, I think the song is actually about bridging the "schism" (left and right sides of the brain, spirit and body, individual self and external people, there are a lot of ways to take this and I think that's intentional) and using the whole to create something new and powerful.

In the lyrics this is reflected by the logical, sequential verses and the emotional, irrational verses like the "breakdown." The conclusion could be the combined product.

I tend to think that other people over-interpret Tool's lyrics, but I think this is the song dedicated to those sorts of people, a song that's universally applicable and always relevant.

Definitely a concept album, and this is the song that anchors all the pieces together.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12
Re: My interpretation

lateralus is amazing.
what you say makes. i never thoguth about the two sides of the brain being having a schism between the two. and the lyrics fit in perfectly with that idea!
nice thought!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #3

thanks. I felt like posting this because we were reviewing for our AP test for psychology and I read a section about the left and right sides of the brain and ambidextrous people.. made me realize that I had always just assumed the song was vaguely about that, so I felt like writing it out in a detailed way
Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

welcome. well it was really interesting. if you have any more ideas on it i'd love to hear it! phsycology sounds really cool, i cant ait to take it when i'm older
Old 05-04-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 261

I am taking that AP pysch test in a week and a half!!!

Since we are technically competing agianst eachother, I would just like to say......
YOUR GOING DOWN!!!

lol good luck
Old 05-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #6

haha bitch... I'm headed for a 5, good luck
Old 05-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember_Forgive View Post
haha bitch... I'm headed for a 5, good luck
When we find out what we both got we will let each other know and see who wins.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

i feel so... young and ignorant....
Old 05-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #9

Deal.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #10

Bump... To simplify the first post, it's about becoming ambidextrous in every sense of the word, unifying the schism to create.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

soo uhh, who won?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #12

Don't know yet. Scores are around third week of July.

to make the post relevant- I think this song is basically the thesis statement of the album.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

ok, i'll check back here then

that is true, its cool that they can capture such a massive idea and form it into just a 9minute masterpiece
Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #14

I got a five on psych.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

I heard recently that babies only see black and white when they are born. Recently I have related this song to me as being innocent to new beauty and accepting the beauty of things and realizing the beauty of things and not missing opportunities.. I think of this when I listen to the song now( as of waking up or recognizing new beauty).... ( and just like in porabola he says : Each new expierence .... This chance to be.. recognize this as a holy expierence... to be alive and breathing.) It all flows.

Just think of the innocence that baby has when it sees the "beauty' of the color red for the first time. He or she is probally wonderous. I don't want to act like I konw maynard or try to think I know the way he thinks.. I just can't help but to relate the way his lyric goes into: "Accepting Beauty with Innocence"..

Thats the only way I can put it.. I read in an interview with maynard and he said that the moon told a secret: That our self or egos are just a reflection of what we see and or hear". So accepting things with the innocence of a child and recognizing beauty like that of a new born child seeing red and yellow for the first time is a great place to start.

A new born is not flawed and is also egoless, but is in reverence to that particular shape or color soley because the baby is innocent.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Finch View Post
I heard recently that babies only see black and white when they are born. Recently I have related this song to me as being innocent to new beauty and accepting the beauty of things and realizing the beauty of things and not missing opportunities.. I think of this when I listen to the song now( as of waking up or recognizing new beauty).... ( and just like in porabola he says : Each new expierence .... This chance to be.. recognize this as a holy expierence... to be alive and breathing.) It all flows.

Just think of the innocence that baby has when it sees the "beauty' of the color red for the first time. He or she is probally wonderous. I don't want to act like I konw maynard or try to think I know the way he thinks.. I just can't help but to relate the way his lyric goes into: "Accepting Beauty with Innocence"..

Thats the only way I can put it.. I read in an interview with maynard and he said that the moon told a secret: That our self or egos are just a reflection of what we see and or hear". So accepting things with the innocence of a child and recognizing beauty like that of a new born child seeing red and yellow for the first time is a great place to start.

A new born is not flawed and is also egoless, but is in reverence to that particular shape or color soley because the baby is innocent.
I agree, this song is all about learning to appreciate life in general. So many people take it for granted and never "stop to smell the roses" as the saying goes. Learn to appreciate what you DO have and worry less about the things which you do not. Always easier said than done, especially when faced with adversity.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: