Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 10. Right in Two
User Name
Password
Montague's Avatar Montague
04-28-2006, 03:43 AM

it was Stupid of maynard to write a "humanity sucks" song, cause now every time i wear a Tool shirt in public some heavy-breathing overweight geek in a home-made Tool shirt is going to approach me, tell me how cool my shirt is, and then pester me endlessly about how "people are monkies man! humans ruined earth!" as opposed to the old "Maths man! thats so deep! spiral of your own divinity!" crap.

on the bright side, maybe it'll encourage a few of these idiots to off themselves.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5
Stupid of Maynard

it was Stupid of maynard to write a "humanity sucks" song, cause now every time i wear a Tool shirt in public some heavy-breathing overweight geek in a home-made Tool shirt is going to approach me, tell me how cool my shirt is, and then pester me endlessly about how "people are monkies man! humans ruined earth!" as opposed to the old "Maths man! thats so deep! spiral of your own divinity!" crap.

on the bright side, maybe it'll encourage a few of these idiots to off themselves.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
04-28-2006, 05:21 AM

yeah, maynard should write more "humanity is awesome" songs like aenema
Old 04-28-2006, 05:21 AM   #2
john dough

Bincount™: 13353
Re: Stupid of Maynard

04-28-2006, 05:22 AM

Aenima? That's a similar song, but a lot more deep. I must admit.. this song is just a little bit too simple to understand than I would of hoped.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:22 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Aenima? That's a similar song, but a lot more deep. I must admit.. this song is just a little bit too simple to understand than I would of hoped.
rocco's Avatar rocco
04-28-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimey
While we all have our preferences, must something always be difficult to be enjoyed? Picasso's style became more stripped down and simple after time (influenced by West African masks and childhood). Can't something be both simple and enjoyable, if done with clarity?

I like Right in Two. It's got me re-reading Robert Ardrey.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
While we all have our preferences, must something always be difficult to be enjoyed? Picasso's style became more stripped down and simple after time (influenced by West African masks and childhood). Can't something be both simple and enjoyable, if done with clarity?

I like Right in Two. It's got me re-reading Robert Ardrey.
04-28-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague

lol. tool wants u dead
Old 04-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:

lol. tool wants u dead
Lost Keys's Avatar Lost Keys
04-29-2006, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth

your timing is perfect.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:02 AM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

your timing is perfect.
champion's Avatar champion
04-29-2006, 04:36 AM

This is the only song where I'm a little "come on..." with the lyrics.

Silly monkeys? Maynard usually has an amazing way with wordsand rhythm, but I really don't like the contrast of the words to the music in Right in Two. If Right in Two has incredible lyrics, it would help the song a lot.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:36 AM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Silly monkeys? Maynard usually has an amazing way with wordsand rhythm, but I really don't like the contrast of the words to the music in Right in Two. If Right in Two has incredible lyrics, it would help the song a lot.
placidium's Avatar placidium
04-29-2006, 10:15 AM

this song should have been more of a "fuck you" than an "oh why"...
Old 04-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 1805

this song should have been more of a "fuck you" than an "oh why"...
seneca77's Avatar seneca77
04-29-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:

wow. you are so not who i want to meet.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

Quote:

04-30-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion

Yeah... it's a bit like Maynard said "I've just GOTTA put a song about monkeys on this album!"

The whole 'silly little monkeys' theme almost bursts the song's balloon, despite that chorus line being so powerful. I mean, I could understand why people would dismiss Maynard as a holier-than-thou wanker if this was the only tool song they'd heard...
Old 04-30-2006, 01:51 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion

Yeah... it's a bit like Maynard said "I've just GOTTA put a song about monkeys on this album!"

The whole 'silly little monkeys' theme almost bursts the song's balloon, despite that chorus line being so powerful. I mean, I could understand why people would dismiss Maynard as a holier-than-thou wanker if this was the only tool song they'd heard...
passenger#44213's Avatar passenger#44213
04-30-2006, 01:58 AM

I do like the song, but i agree that maynards lyrics are becoming too simple. now I dont really have a problem with that, but the legions of morons who are going to like "only the new stuff" because they understand is gonna suck...Im going to have to be at the concert in close proximity to these human versions of the lowest common denominator...

Maybe I'm over reacting, but i agree with the first post...convince them to kill themselves
Old 04-30-2006, 01:58 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

I do like the song, but i agree that maynards lyrics are becoming too simple. now I dont really have a problem with that, but the legions of morons who are going to like "only the new stuff" because they understand is gonna suck...Im going to have to be at the concert in close proximity to these human versions of the lowest common denominator...

Maybe I'm over reacting, but i agree with the first post...convince them to kill themselves
magnolia's Avatar magnolia
04-30-2006, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneca77
lol
Old 04-30-2006, 02:12 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneca77
lol
binaryFX
04-30-2006, 11:26 AM

All I can say to these criticisms is... you just don't get it. Listen to the song as the complete piece of art it is, don't dissect it line by line. Right In Two is beautiful.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

All I can say to these criticisms is... you just don't get it. Listen to the song as the complete piece of art it is, don't dissect it line by line. Right In Two is beautiful.
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
04-30-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, because only cryptic lyrics with heavy metaphor are worth shit.

Did any of you guys ever think about the fact that a lot of the time straight-forward, clear-cut lyrics are actually MORE powerful than beating around the bush about everything?

I for one am glad Maynard has lost some of his pretentious language on this album.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Yeah, because only cryptic lyrics with heavy metaphor are worth shit.

Did any of you guys ever think about the fact that a lot of the time straight-forward, clear-cut lyrics are actually MORE powerful than beating around the bush about everything?

I for one am glad Maynard has lost some of his pretentious language on this album.
keening
05-01-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I hate 99% of Toolfans. Including mosf of the maynard worshippping fake album conspiracy dorks.

Excellent Post!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

I hate 99% of Toolfans. Including mosf of the maynard worshippping fake album conspiracy dorks.

Excellent Post!
anajberg
05-01-2006, 02:10 PM

this is not a 'humanity sucks' song. He's saying that part of humanity sucks, but also pointing out the true value of humanity- the stuff about being able to raise your eyes to heaven (forget the wording). In no way does this song indicate that all of humanity is consumed in violence and destruction, but rather intending to visually portray the difference between the type of people who think being civilized means we can destroy that which is not civilized and those who will open themselves up to attempt to understand the divine (not necessarily the christian divine) or a sense of greater meaning.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

this is not a 'humanity sucks' song. He's saying that part of humanity sucks, but also pointing out the true value of humanity- the stuff about being able to raise your eyes to heaven (forget the wording). In no way does this song indicate that all of humanity is consumed in violence and destruction, but rather intending to visually portray the difference between the type of people who think being civilized means we can destroy that which is not civilized and those who will open themselves up to attempt to understand the divine (not necessarily the christian divine) or a sense of greater meaning.
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
05-02-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keening

Excellent Post!
I hate the other 99% of Tool fans who hate the other 99% of Tool fans

Hey wait a minute some things wrong there.....

Last edited by ArizonaBay; 05-02-2006 at 09:20 AM..
Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by keening

Excellent Post!

Last edited by ArizonaBay; 05-02-2006 at 09:20 AM..
renegade46n2's Avatar renegade46n2
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM

I like the sound of the song. I've only heard it twice so I haven't really got all the lyrics down yet, but it will come. I thought Tool would come out with a monkey song. Just had a feeling.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 326

I like the sound of the song. I've only heard it twice so I haven't really got all the lyrics down yet, but it will come. I thought Tool would come out with a monkey song. Just had a feeling.
xineax
05-02-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay

Monkey killing monkey...?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

praefector's Avatar praefector
05-02-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
win
Old 05-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #20
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

Quote:
win
05-02-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xineax
I also hate Tool fans who quote Tool songs on forums. You should think for yourself and question authority.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by xineax
I also hate Tool fans who quote Tool songs on forums. You should think for yourself and question authority.
blair's man sausage's Avatar blair's man sausage
05-02-2006, 11:18 AM

i like songs about monkeys it's about time tool jumped on that bandwagon
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #22
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

i like songs about monkeys it's about time tool jumped on that bandwagon
05-02-2006, 11:23 AM

Its meant to put you under the Imperius Curse.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Its meant to put you under the Imperius Curse.
05-02-2006, 12:42 PM

^^^ Isnt that something to do with Harry Potter?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

^^^ Isnt that something to do with Harry Potter?
05-02-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms46and2
i like songs about monkeys

"Hey hey we're the Monkees 'cause people say we monkey around..."

An influence....? Those Monkees; always one step ahead...
Old 05-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms46and2
i like songs about monkeys

"Hey hey we're the Monkees 'cause people say we monkey around..."

An influence....? Those Monkees; always one step ahead...
identitat soldat
05-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:

lol
Old 05-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

lol
05-02-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Oh, touche, wise man. ;)

Yeah, I get the feeling from this forum there's a lot of hate here. hah.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Oh, touche, wise man. ;)

Yeah, I get the feeling from this forum there's a lot of hate here. hah.
happydipshit
05-02-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Maynard talks to the rest of the band::

'FUCK! I read 10,000 different theories about Schism, Lateralus, the Patient on tdn. Most of them wrong!'

* band gazes*

'I mean, if they only could find the holy order, but No....'''

* band gazes*

'Shit.'

* band gazes*

'Well, maybe I should write some more punch in your face lyrics'

* band applauds*

Lol!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Maynard talks to the rest of the band::

'FUCK! I read 10,000 different theories about Schism, Lateralus, the Patient on tdn. Most of them wrong!'

* band gazes*

'I mean, if they only could find the holy order, but No....'''

* band gazes*

'Shit.'

* band gazes*

'Well, maybe I should write some more punch in your face lyrics'

* band applauds*

Lol!!!
fortysixandtwo9411
05-02-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I hope you're joking here..."think for yourself, question authority"...sounds like a Tool quote to me!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I hope you're joking here..."think for yourself, question authority"...sounds like a Tool quote to me!
happydipshit
05-02-2006, 02:31 PM

lol
Old 05-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

lol
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
05-02-2006, 02:48 PM

"I for one am glad Maynard has lost some of his pretentious language on this album."

Agreed.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #31
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

"I for one am glad Maynard has lost some of his pretentious language on this album."

Agreed.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
fortysixandtwo9411
05-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Maybe everyone who likes to dissect Maynard's lyrics and the meanings to them should take a step back, sit down with a frosty cold beverage and just enjoy the music for what it is. When I listen to Tool's music it takes me somewhere else. I don't get caught up in if I've heard it before or what Maynard is thinking of when writing the music; I just take it for what it is...kick ass music! Tool's music is like a journey and if you're constantly analyzing it, I don't think you can fully enjoy it!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Maybe everyone who likes to dissect Maynard's lyrics and the meanings to them should take a step back, sit down with a frosty cold beverage and just enjoy the music for what it is. When I listen to Tool's music it takes me somewhere else. I don't get caught up in if I've heard it before or what Maynard is thinking of when writing the music; I just take it for what it is...kick ass music! Tool's music is like a journey and if you're constantly analyzing it, I don't think you can fully enjoy it!
rembrandt_q_einstein's Avatar rembrandt_q_einstein
05-02-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
hahahahahahahaha i like your take
Old 05-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122

Quote:
hahahahahahahaha i like your take
05-02-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo9411
i totally agree with you here. i also think many people (in this forum, the mass media, etc., etc.) focus too much on maynard. it takes 4 individuals to create what is TOOL. 4 distinct personalities with their own views. it's not all about maynard. its about TOOL and what they represent
Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo9411
i totally agree with you here. i also think many people (in this forum, the mass media, etc., etc.) focus too much on maynard. it takes 4 individuals to create what is TOOL. 4 distinct personalities with their own views. it's not all about maynard. its about TOOL and what they represent
05-02-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt_q_einstein
Agreed! And besides the album was only released 6.5 hours ago(for those of you true fans who didn't download them and actually went out to purchase the cd); at least take time to ingest the whole album before fabricating your personnal "theories".
Old 05-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt_q_einstein
Agreed! And besides the album was only released 6.5 hours ago(for those of you true fans who didn't download them and actually went out to purchase the cd); at least take time to ingest the whole album before fabricating your personnal "theories".
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
05-02-2006, 04:23 PM

hey, i'm a true fan who downloaded the leak, listened to it for a week and a half.. i didn't listen to it from friday til today so i could approach it with fresh ears when i purchased it, WHICH I DID.

so there.

alright, this thread has been thoroughly hijacked.. back to how maynard needs to return to the optimism of his former years.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #36
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

hey, i'm a true fan who downloaded the leak, listened to it for a week and a half.. i didn't listen to it from friday til today so i could approach it with fresh ears when i purchased it, WHICH I DID.

so there.

alright, this thread has been thoroughly hijacked.. back to how maynard needs to return to the optimism of his former years.
05-02-2006, 04:30 PM

I think this song is more literal than it even appears. Haven't you guys seen any documentaries on primate society? They have wars too, its totally about monkey wars... Planet of the Apes anyone?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

I think this song is more literal than it even appears. Haven't you guys seen any documentaries on primate society? They have wars too, its totally about monkey wars... Planet of the Apes anyone?
Bodhi
05-02-2006, 04:36 PM

He was never optimistic, more like losing his faith in humanity...
Old 05-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

He was never optimistic, more like losing his faith in humanity...
05-02-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalloutMan
Yr 1 Stupid Monkey...
Old 05-02-2006, 04:40 PM   #39
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalloutMan
Yr 1 Stupid Monkey...
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM

Like 2001 Space Odyssey? That's probably where he got the idea. OMG IT SYNCSZ UP LOLZ
Old 05-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

Like 2001 Space Odyssey? That's probably where he got the idea. OMG IT SYNCSZ UP LOLZ

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply