opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/21 - Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/21 - Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena

Stinkfist
The pot
46+2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
10000 days
Encore:
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

The show awesome , Maynard sounded great for getting over his illness, he hit every note and scream perfect.. Amazing how the stage floor was one huge video screen. A work of art. They kick my ass everytime. Been seeing them since 92' and they are the best live band ever. 10000 days part 1+2 was incredible. A pleasure as always cant wait til' Cleveland. Oh and Maynard was acting like a dog during Lost keys and lifted his leg to the keyboard.

Remeber people, live isnt perfect they have only one chance to make it right unlike the studio. But think about it, they all played their asses off to the best of their capabilities which is better than most could ever do. So when I say perfect its perfect for me its all based on personal perception. You must realize Maynard was still fight a illness and he sounded great for that, imagine if he wasnt ill what he would sound like. For those who didnt enjoy it , I would you probably are incapable of doing so. I have seen lots of live music of all kinds, they beat them all.

Last edited by usefulidiot72; 09-22-2006 at 12:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 166

Floor 6, row p seats 10 & 11.

Lateralus was amazing!!!!! Im so glad they played it.
I liked how during 10k days, the smoke looked like clouds against the lasers...
Being on the floor I couldnt see the floor of the stage at all, but my sister was up in nose bleeds and said it was awesome.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Long time fan, first show so I have no basis for comparison but they did not dissapoint.
Maynardisims: "Round on both ends and HIGH in the middle--pay attention stoners"
and "What the fuck happened here last election?"

Next we are getting front row center !
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulidiot72 View Post
Stinkfist
The pot
46+2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
10000 days
Encore:
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

The show awesome , Maynard sounded great for getting over his illness, he hit every note and scream perfect.. Amazing how the stage floor was one huge video screen. A work of art. They kick my ass everytime. Been seeing them since 92' and they are the best live band ever. 10000 days part 1+2 was incredible. A pleasure as always cant wait til' Cleveland. Oh and Maynard was acting like a dog during Lost keys and lifted his leg to the keyboard.

You've seen them since 92' and you thought he performed every note and scream "perfect". C,mon I know it's hard to say but as much as MJK USED TO BE perfect. He's just not the same. Great, deffinetly, but unless you can suddenly buy vocal chords in the music shop next to the strings and skins, it won't be "perfect" .
Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

I've been burned out on Tool. After 10k Days was out, I listened for a bit, got tired of Tool (no dislike, just pure burn out) and have not listened to them in months.

I even half wanted the show to be cancelled so I could go see Isis do a small venue back up.

With that said, I was floored. This was my 8th...ish....Tool show and, while not my favorite, I was very impressed. We had great seats to ourselves and were able to really stretch out and enjoy the show. It was a great change of view from seeing them front and center at the small NYC shows in Spring. Very glad we could see all of the effects and lighting.

Superb Job Tool.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Good someone got the set list, I forgot. I barely saw the stage. I did have some nice asses in my face all night long. I was on Floor 4 Row M seat 8. Thanks to the guys to left, the couple in front of me, and those three women also in front of me. And thanks to the venue staff, so nice. Great show, Maynard sounded great and loud. Isis was ok, they can play well, singing needs work. Overall a great show, loved the lasers, they made up for the lack of a more visual show. I could have looked up to watch the screens, but I don't like to stare straight up. Good show Tool, glad you were better Maynard. Good show, not as memorable as the one in 2001 at the Schot, but still damn good.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Kicked ASS!! M sounded great!! Danny is a bad ass! Had a great time, thanks TOOL!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

my third show. wings+10k days gave me the chills.
justin was sitting for those songs, i wasn't ready for that.
lasers are amazing
I will post a longer review tomorrow after the post show party at my friends place going on now.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Stinkfist
The pot
(some keyboard intro, sounded like the end of "Reflection")
46+2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
10000 days
Encore:
Lateralus
(some sort of keyboardy thing, it was pretty cool)
Vicarious
Aenima

i have seen Tool now 4 times. 3 times during Lateralus & the show tonight. i can say without question this was my best Tool experience EVER. The visuals were like nothing i've ever seen & i have been to MANY concerts in my past... very Pink Floydish in my opinion. The Nationwide Area has a great staff & a wonderful building, not to mention great sound! Man when i saw them here back in '01 at Ohio State it SUCKED because their sound system is all bass... not tonight, great blend of everything.

i can't get over the lasers... they made the fog look like storm clouds, it was nuts! Screw everybody in Chicago who said the visuals were cheesy... you guys are ungreatful jerks who are too use to getting everything because of where you live. Down here we appreciate what we get & what we got tonight was one of the most fantastic shows any band has ever put on.

How about the crowd? My gosh, best concert crowd ever! Especially on Aenema the entire place was thrashing around in unison & screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs... i've never seen anything like it.

Maynard was on it tonight, perfect performance... no missed lyrics, no missed notes. And ofcourse the band was spot on especially Danny who played a crazy break down in Schism.

The only draw back was that Maynard spoke very VERY little & was pretty much a dick to everyone... kinda seemed like he didn't want to be there. oh well. here's all i heard Maynard say:

Tool walks onto stage:

Round on both ends and high in the middle, pay attention stoners. (Stinkfist)

Before The Pot:

What the F*** happened here last election, c'mon. (The Pot)

Before Wings Part One he dedicated it to someone.

Before the encore Justin sat on stage & held a lighter up for a while, the arena filed suite, it was like a human Christmas Tree.

Before Lateralus Maynard said:

Goodnight... (pause for effect)... i double dog dare ya' to leave... (Lateralus)

Finally, before Aenema Maynard said:

See ya' in Cleveland.

He promply walked off stage after embracing his band members after the song. The others stuck around for a couple minutes & played with the screaming crowd.

Maynard wore his cowboy outfit (tight jeans, big belt buckle, ATF jacket, cowboy hat) he had the jacket & hat off most of the show showing his bare chest & mohawk hair. You could also see his scorpion tat on his back. Oddly enough he happened to have a black band around where he use to have the APC symbol. My friend thought it was for his ear monitor i however think it was to cover up the fact he was in a band he no longer is on good terms with.

ok i'm done.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 4

9th Tool show in 13 years.

Somewhat disappointed. Sound sucked ass. Rather, the instruments sounded decent...vocals just horrible. Not that maynard didn't sing well...the sound was just fucking awful. I couldn't understand one word...just...vibrating humming....

Having said that...I still enjoyed myself. Hell, my wife thought it was the best show she ever saw...I told her it wasn't...she shut me up and said don't ruin it.

Anyway, I''ll bet my life I just followed Maynard's tour bus from 11:30 to 12:15 down I-70. Brand new bus with Tenn. plates and "Music City Tour Bus"...makes sense if his family is actually south of Akron, then you'd take col. to cambridge and up to akron area rather than col straight to akron. Shiny silver bus with red and black with grey/silver pointed waves along side. Very contemporary.

I'm 33...and still a child I guess. Though I was suprised at the number of father/son combos at the show, as well as the overall appearance of people my age in general. Thank god.

Also...first show of ever that I've been to in a couple hundred shows of my lifetime...that I didn't see one asshole the entire time. Epic...not one asshole.

Last edited by The Irreverent; 09-21-2006 at 09:04 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

the tool show was fcuking amazing. my neck is killing me. stinkfist and the pot ruined my chance to have a job using my freaking neck. unreal.

rosetta stoned was out of this world

peace out to the grandview coppers...they let me go with a warning.

dont miss tool anywhere...if you live withing 10,000 mles, make the trip.

Detroit be warned.....unbelievable show coming your way tomorrow......
Wings was the ultimate live performance in my brief existence on this planet.

guinness time....
Old 09-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent View Post
9th Tool show in 13 years.

Somewhat disappointed. Sound sucked ass. Rather, the instruments sounded decent...vocals just horrible. Not that maynard didn't sing well...the sound was just fucking awful. I couldn't understand one word...just...vibrating humming....

Having said that...I still enjoyed myself. Hell, my wife thought it was the best show she ever saw...I told her it wasn't...she shut me up and said don't ruin it.

Anyway, I''ll bet my life I just followed Maynard's tour bus from 11:30 to 12:15 down I-70. Brand new bus with Tenn. plates and "Music City Tour Bus"...makes sense if his family is actually south of Akron, then you'd take col. to cambridge and up to akron area rather than col straight to akron. Shiny silver bus with red and black with grey/silver pointed waves along side. Very contemporary.

I'm 33...and still a child I guess. Though I was suprised at the number of father/son combos at the show, as well as the overall appearance of people my age in general. Thank god.

Also...first show of ever that I've been to in a couple hundred shows of my lifetime...that I didn't see one asshole the entire time. Epic...not one asshole.
You & i disagree on 1 thing... the sound. Perhaps it was relative to where you sat because everything was crystal clear where i was... but every Arena has it's dead spots.

i too took my wife & she too said it was the best concert of her short 22 year life. i too saw many older gentlemen at the show, 2 were behind me... i thought this was cool... i also appreciated the fact that there where more lady fans than usual there.

finally, i agree 100 percent on the A - Hole thing... not one among us... that was not only unheard of but also very very cool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

I sat on the floor, F--6, great sound. Set list: posted...

Insights: I loved how they 'jammed' up on the first song or two and then played 46&2 and Jambi devinely precise.

Yeah, Maynard like a dog was funny. I was rolling though when, during Jambi, he was slapping his cowboy hat side to side like he was riding a flippin' bull or something.

Lateralus, for the encore, was a little goofy (in a good way), as a not yet seen set of lights and lasers came on and the whole thing was a little flashy and blingy.
If 10K days is their "blues" album, Lateralus is their "glam rock" tribute...that song's some hard core timing shizt right there. They about lost it, but only once...anyone else catch it?
Overall, of course, it was a phenominal show...
Q: "If you could only ever see'TOOL!'one band your whole li...TOOL! Tool Tool!! Yes that's my final answer!
Well, the last time I saw them (Aenema tour at the Newport Music Hall), I don't even know the year, it was perhaps the single best live performance in history (yes of mankind). Maynard stood, neerly motionless, behind the mic stand, with a latex "skin" on, and proceeded to absolutly amaze all in attendance. That show was "perfect", this show was great.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show, set list was great would have liked an Opiate or Undertow songs but am NOT complaining. Parking was highway robbery, sign on the street says 5 dollars get back there and only the 10 dollar lot is open. I took Maynards dare and left....did I miss anything?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Pretty amazing show... Thanks TOOL.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
Lateralus, for the encore, was a little goofy (in a good way), as a not yet seen set of lights and lasers came on and the whole thing was a little flashy and blingy.
i agree, i liked it, but i was sort of taken back... i mean i could see lights like that at an AC/DC, KISS, or Rolling Stones show but Tool? It was weird but in a good way... i'm glad they aren't just repackaging the same ol' stuff from last tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_xya View Post
You & i disagree on 1 thing... the sound. Perhaps it was relative to where you sat because everything was crystal clear where i was... but every Arena has it's dead spots.

i too took my wife & she too said it was the best concert of her short 22 year life. i too saw many older gentlemen at the show, 2 were behind me... i thought this was cool... i also appreciated the fact that there where more lady fans than usual there.

finally, i agree 100 percent on the A - Hole thing... not one among us... that was not only unheard of but also very very cool.
Yeah, that sucks...I must've had a dead spot; section 114, row m. VERY DISTORTED vocals. In fact, for me...in that seat...the most distorted concert I've ever been to...out of...hundreds??? Fucking bummer then. Or maybe thats why it was distorted...my age...and the number of shows I've seen.

Glad you enjoyed it though. As well as your wife and mine. I'll go craw under my rock now. ;)
Old 09-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

UnFucking Real.Had tenth row floor,thanks to Andy Davis from CD 101,You rule dude.3rd Tool show.The sound was perfect from where I was at.Sounded even better than the show I saw at The Fox Theatre back in May and 100 times better than the '01 show at OSU.I am still in awe.Best show I have ever been to.THANK YOU TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FUCKING AWESOME.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #20
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketbot1620 View Post
Awesome show, set list was great would have liked an Opiate or Undertow songs but am NOT complaining. Parking was highway robbery, sign on the street says 5 dollars get back there and only the 10 dollar lot is open. I took Maynards dare and left....did I miss anything?
you're kidding right?

great show. maynard sounded great to me. i took my 3 kids and the oldest ones' fiance. we had 4 seats on the floor in 6 and i bought one through a broker that was 5 rows from adam. i told my kids that ticket was for me because i am the original tool fan of the family. they followed my lead! :) but i have a 14 year old son who plays guitar and loves adam so i let him go up front a lot. little shit got to see jambi and that talkbox solo. and vicarious. i let my oldest daughter go up a while too. she got to see lateralus and the break where all 4 of them sat down in the middle of the stage and just watched the crowd go wild with the lighters. so sweet. it wasn't so bad sitting back in 6. i could see the visuals better. sharing is caring right?

i couldln't believe how many people around me up front did NOT know any songs off of 10,000 days. unbelievable.

i think danny had a columbus clippers jersey on. anyone else notice that. and i did see all four of them do a big group hug after the show.

i got a set list and my son got a red bull can that danny had been drinking from and threw out. wish i could have got one of the frisbees they were throwing out. i think it was a frisbee.

just call me satisfied!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_xya View Post
i can't get over the lasers... they made the fog look like storm clouds, it was nuts! Screw everybody in Chicago who said the visuals were cheesy... you guys are ungreatful jerks who are too use to getting everything because of where you live. Down here we appreciate what we get & what we got tonight was one of the most fantastic shows any band has ever put on.
This was, i think, my 11th show. I was at the Chicago show on Monday as well, and i can tell you, compared to tonight, the visuals WERE kinda cheesy. Having the video monitors there made all the difference. at mondays show, no monitors left only the stage video, which is cool, but you can't catch all the detail. it was completely different for me.

nice show overall, the band definitely didn't seem as crowd-friendly as the chicago show. they did seem to slip up a bit a couple of times though, i think during 10000 days, and one other song early on (i can't remember which one)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

fucking amazing show.
ill post more tomorrow when i aint quite so damn drunk.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 PM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

This makes the 4th time I've seen them, and it stands at #2 on my list...
Roanoke, VA 11/3/02 still sits at the top....
http://toolshed.down.net/tour/fall02/021103.html

Anyway, great show for him calling off a show two nights ago. He seemed a tiny bit off, and didn't hit some of the higher notes here and there, but overall he kicked ass... like usual.

The other 3 guys... what can I say.... do they ever disappoint???
Flawless show.... great energy..... good times....

That's why they are the best band since Zeppelin....
peace.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:54 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Good show, but why isn't the screen on stage higher? You can't even see the visuals. Those screens do not cost much and if it was about 12-15ft you could actually see what they're projecting instead of seeing band members and 3 half stacks.

IMO, a higher screen would have taken the show from a B- to an A-. The stage looks cool and stuff but the Xmas lights and lasers really pale in comparison to the visuals on the Aenima and Lateralus tours.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show couldnt ask for more , still riding that natural high from the show. Cant wait until Monday in cleveland.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Floor 3 Row G, seats 13-14 My 5th show and it didn't disappoint. A few thoughts:
"Gutsy" perfomnace from Maynard adds to an already legandary status, he sounded great even after being sick. I got to see Justin up close tonight and I realized that he his clearly an elite musician. Paraflux once said that anyone who doesn't think Adam Jones is a technician is crazy, I agree. Precission tonight and it sounded awesome. Danny Carey is frighteningly good and the more I see him live the more I think that he's part robot or some shit. Seats were great as was the crowd...hope Detroit gets as good of a show. I'm pretty sure Blair was Adam's guitar tech dressed in the white doctor's lab coat. Anyone else comfirm?
PS~ VERY PLEASED with the happy hour deals we got at Brothers before the show. And to the asshole who walked up during Wings and asked "Thats Maynard ain't it?" I hope you get crushed to death at your the next tractor pull you inbred piece of shit!

Last edited by nexus11313; 09-22-2006 at 08:57 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 12:14 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Sweet mother of all that is holy. THANK YOU, TOOL. I still hear crickets in my ears when I yawn, and I know there aren't any crickets.

Wings was unreal. Jambi was intense. Rosetta Stoned was mindblowing. AEnima was, simply, beautiful. I haven't felt cameraderie like this in quite some time, if ever. I mean, it's fair to say that the urination and beer facilities were, shall we say, subpar...but despite that I heard nary a snide remark from anyone in attendance.

Good show, Columbus....

Great show, TOOL.
5/15/2006 -- Fox Theatre, Detroit, MI | 9/21/2006 -- Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
6/17/2007 -- Roberts Stadium, Evansville, IN | 6/29/2007 -- U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 12:17 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Section 102 - Row K - Seats 3&4
Fantastic Show. Teriffic performance. Maynard sounded great. KILLER stage and lighting. The LASERS were awesome!!!!!!! The night would have been PERFECT for me and my girlfriend, (who just seen TOOL for her first time on her 25th birthday) had it not been for the 3 stooges who dropped into the empty seats in front of us. Seriously, Larry, Moe & Currly on ACID! They snuck down from above after the show started, and were just drunk and loud and high-fivin and bear-huggin and chattin on their cell-phone and being real stupid and obnoxious and not even watchin the show half the time!!! They were a bit distracting, but we did our best to ignore them and enjoy the show. All in all, couldn't have asked for much more. I only hate the thought of not seing them again for another 3 - 5 years!!! THANX Tool.........
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 12:28 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

2nd Tool show...I drove to Columbus from Indy to see this show and it was definately worth it. I had high expectations from what I remembered from the 1st time I saw Tool (Deer Creek '01) and their newest album. Damn, these guys have mastered their songs from 10,000 days live. All of the songs they played from 10,000 days were amazing. I was expecting the older songs to sound great, but the new ones were just as good--maybe better! I just want to thank Tool for kicking so much ass tonight--these guys are without a doubt the best live band around. All 4 musicians are phenomenal. Danny's drums tonight were perfect. The best drummer I have ever seen and I've seen some great ones. I was sitting in section 102, 6 rows up and my ears are still ringing 5 hours after the show--finally Tool as loud as I need it!

Last edited by BestBandAround; 09-22-2006 at 12:37 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 01:37 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

First off I just have to say you fans in Columbus kick ass. This was my 3rd show and the other 2 I've been to there has always been a handful of people acting like idiots, I'm sure everyone has witnessed. Great energy from everyone, I thought it was really cool how people were cheering for Isis and gave them a big round of applause before they left the stage. I heard them while I was in line for a shirt and some beer then caught their last 2 or 3 songs from my seat and I liked what I heard. Tool - Most everyone in section 113 was in to every song, singing along and groovin to the masterpiece that we just can't seem to get enough of. All the Maynardism's are covered, although Mr. Originality said the "What's round on the outside and hi in the middle" brain teaser last tour, I had a feeling he'd say it again. Why so predictable Maynard? During Wings 1 and 2 the crowd was pretty solemn, cheering here and there with lighters of course. I couldn't hear him very well when he said "I dedicate this to" but it sounded like Marie which would make sense but I don't know for sure, couldn't hear him that well. At first I thought Danny was rocking a Cavaliers jersey which would be fitting but once he got up I noticed that it was a Clippers jersey, Elton Brand I think but might have been a throwback. At the end of Aenema where the guy in the cowboy hat has been singing the "fuck retro anyting fuck your tattoos, fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories" 3 times in all the previous shows, he actually switched it up and put the L Ron Hubbard and so on lyrics back in. Did anyone else notice that or was my brain singing the song for me? Touch'e Mr. Keenan, maybe you're not so predictable. Everything rocked, in my opinion the place to be for this tour is up in the higher arena so you can see the "floor screen" as we're calling it, I didn't get to experience that since I was so low. Wonderful show, exquisite atmosphere. Thanks Columbus for being a very hospitable host and thanks TOOL for putting on a magnificent show. Y'all come back now ya hear!!!

Last edited by Leaf; 09-22-2006 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: Typos fool
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 04:15 AM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Show started off great. Then put me to sleep. People don't know the slow songs off the new disc because they are not good songs. Best songs were 46 and 2 and Aenema. Thanks for playing Maynard. I think Tool made some new fans.

Did anybody else get pissed about the beer cut off?

Why did they stop selling beer at 930? The band had only been on for 20 mins.

One drink per person. No wonder Columbus Bluejackets have a tough time selling tickets to the hockey games. Fuck Nationwide I say....not on my side.

I walked up to a informed looking person with a walkie talkie and asked him why they stopped selling beer so soon. He said and I quote..."Management doesn't know much about this band but from the looks of the crowd they don't wanna take any chances on people getting drunk and causing a riot or troubles."

$64 for the ticket. $38 for a concert t shirt, $70 for a hoodie. What the hell is the world coming to? Got a 10,000 days bootleg shirt outside for $10. Looks great.

I heard they are coming to Dayton Nutter Center in the spring. C ya there!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 04:36 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

He dedicated Wings to "Jan"...If I can remember correctly.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 04:43 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool user View Post
Show started off great. Then put me to sleep. People don't know the slow songs off the new disc because they are not good songs.
What the fuck are you talking about? Have you HEARD, not just listened to the power and emotion of 10,000 days, and Rosetta Stoned? 10,000 days is their best work so far because it pushed the boundaries of what we we expected from TOOL, and took it to a whole new level.

I hated Lateralus when it came out, but after I saw the live show, I realized that it was there best work.

Give 10,000 days a chance, and let the music engulf you in it's glory. I am sure you will find that it is amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 AM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

I bought 10,000 days the day it came out bro. The album is good and I 'get' the concept but those soft, slow songs (played live) are a bit plodding. Seriously, I am not the only one who was bored during that Wings-10,000 section. People were shouting for the jams man. They should have played something that rocked. The people paid to get the rock!

Last edited by tool user; 09-22-2006 at 05:23 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 05:25 AM   #35
Level 2 - Poster

Yo!
Just got back and I have to say whatever illness was floating around that little body of Maynard's must have been kicked out like the opening riffs of the Grudge...There should be no concerns by any of you future tour attendees how good the total TOOL package is gonna sound. These guys could play a 2 hour show without any vocals mixed in anyway. The boys sounded tight tonite. Must admit though I was somewhat dissappointed with the overall stage props as a whole. Now b4 you guys go all beserk on my ass let me say the projections on the stage floor were INFUCKINGCREDAMAZING. It was insane to see that going on with the sounds of TOOL assaulting my ears simoultaniously (sp? but I haven't slept sorry ;) ) It's just that after seeing the GINORMOUS Alex Grey backdrops of the past the Chrismas light setup in the background is a little underwhelming. I think I liked the rig-up with just the 4 larger screens in the back during the minitour show I saw in Chi-town better. Maybe it's just me. I know they are trying out new stuff but they have set a precedent and anything that comes after is going to at least have to be as good as the past if not better. Now if they were to incorporate the huge glowing backdrops of the past in association with the new projections on the floor and had a few more screens along the side I would probably just about bust a nut. Just a suggestion but fuck it your TOOL and you might as well go balls out! I do hope to catch them again a few more times before they go into hiding but 4 me I was just given the impression by my favorite band that they may be on the path 2 wrapping up a very beautiful and memorable career. I hope that's not the case but I wouldn't be too suprised if when these guys finally wrap up the tour sometime late next year we never hear from the members of TOOL musically speaking ever again. I must repeat that the band is sounding pretty damn good and the two new songs that were 1st for me 2 nite, the Pot and the Wings series (sure its 3 songs whatever) sounded great. I was lucky enough to catch Right in Two performed for the 1st time played live to a crowd in May and was a little bit sad that my buddies didn't get to hear that this evening. Anyway that completes my live experiences with 10000 Days and they do it just as good live as on the record. Enjoy the rest of the tour everybody. Don't get mad at my small criticisms but anybody who has seen these guys shredddddddd in the past should know what I'm talking about. Just for the good of the cause! Don't think its possible to sound any better though.
Peace
Schwann
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 05:37 AM   #36
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

What a great show! We had seats right above the floor closest to the stage (in front of Justin and Danny). They played spot on and Maynard sounded really good for just getting over an illness. Lateralus was the highlight of the night, it was amazing. The sound in the arena was also very clear and crisp. Tool definately delivered last night...I hope I can catch them on the second leg of the tour.

Last edited by Bogart; 09-22-2006 at 05:40 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 06:00 AM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Section 104, Row K. This was my first time seeing Tool live, and as most have mentioned, it was a phenomenal show. Maynard sounded great and the stage visuals were fantastic. Lateralus of course was the highlight of my evening, but I absolutely loved Jambi as well. I never really understood why so many people considered it to be a great song until I saw it live. I can't stop listening to it now. The crowd was great and the band was near perfect. Maynard didn't seem like he was in a mood to say much but that's no big deal. I thought Isis was fantastic as well. I recently bought Panopticon to get a feel for them and I can't wait to check out some of their other work.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

The show last night in Columbus was excellent as always. This was my 4th Tool show and overall 10th Maynard experience and they did not disappoint. My fiance and a couple of friends who had never seen them before were in attendance so it was cool to see them get their cherry popped. I knew Maynard would come out with the "round on the outside, high in the middle" joke and lo and behold, he did. Pay attention stoners. And we did.

Stinkfist sounded awesome but I personally didn't really get going until The Pot. Rag on 10,000 Days all you want, I was there to hear some new stuff, not just a greatest hits. The old stuff rocked but I love the new one even more after hearing everything live last night. Jambi was phenomenal, Maynard's cowboy hat twirling and Adam's talk box solo brought the house down. The visuals were up to par with usual Tool fare, and the way they're using the whole stage as a canvas is really neat. It could actually give you an excuse to catch a show from the upper level if you were going to a few, very cool. My only complaint on this front is that the screens in the center of the arena were lighting things up inside way too much and that was a little bit distracting. I can't complain too much about sensory overload though, that's what a Tool show is for.

Rosetta Stoned was a big highlight for me, I just love this song on the record and they did a good job with it live. Does anyone else think the little CGI guy running in the video at the beginning looked a lot like Maynard? Crazy jamming on this song and our first chance to really appreciate Mr. Carey's excellent drum work. However, the highlight of the night was definitely Wings for Marie/10,000 Days. The night reached an absolute summitt when this epic was played. For the most part people behaved themselves while they worked through this one. I kind of figured it would be impossible to connect with the song because of meatheads but surprisingly everything clicked and most of the audience seemed to appreciate it. The release of emotion for me during this one is unrivaled at a show, possibly ever. The band bowed and took a breather after this one, and thanks guys, I know I needed it personally.

Lateralus, Vicarious and Aenima closed the night out and all 3 brought the house down. Vicarious sounded fantastic, possibly my favorite single from the band and ending with Aenima is a sure fire way to go out with a bang. It was an excellent show and I certainly hope to catch them when they go out again next year.

Final thoughts and a brief complaint, though I'm sure I'm not the first one, even in this thread to mention it, what the fuck is up with the merch prices this time around? I go to lots of shows and understand that this stuff is always overpriced and outrageous but Tool seemed to be taking things to new heights with the $38/43 dollars and UP t-shirts. Not cool guys. I would have loved to pick one up but there comes a point when you've got to have principles about these things. See you next year.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 07:04 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Before Wings Part One he dedicated it to someone.

]He said, "This one's for Jan." Maynard's stepmom
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 07:16 AM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

I've only seen Tool twice, back in 2001 and now the Columbus show. It was incredible. The energy and the theatrics of this show were amazing. I loved the way Maynard moved and looked with his damn cowboy outift. Rosetta Stoned was awesome with his hand-held mic thingy and Adam, Justin, and Danny were all kicking ass as well. I love Isis and thought they were a great opener for Tool. Holy f***ing shit...just an incredible performance.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: