opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/15 - Kansas City, MO - Kemper Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/15 - Kansas City, MO - Kemper Arena

My 7th tool show, and probably the best.

StinkFist(Extended)
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism(On Crack)
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Wings Pt. 1
10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)
Encore
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Pretty sure its that order.The show was fucking amazing. The lazer lights were awesome. Maynard sounded great for being sick. The show seemed delayed at first. Im pretty sure it was because the video screens werent working for the first couple of songs. During Stinkfist it was just all green, but it flashed in time with the music. Im pretty sure the pot was the same way, but I think it was red. Then I think 2 screens game on during Jambi, then during some point they all were working.

Maynard came out with his ATF Jacket on, and started right into Stinkfist. Before The Pot he mentioned he was sick and shouldn't be singing this song, but that we would all be bitching and moaning if he didnt. His scream at the end wasnt as powerful but the song still rocked.

Everyone seemed pretty on tonight. Justin and Maynard looked really into it. At the end of Vicarious he sang Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies, but then didnt sing the rest. Also at the end of Ænema he came into too early with Don't just call me pessimist. Then he stopped, then sang it at the right time. He then didnt sing the next line in the song, then sang the one after that, and then sang the rest.

All and all it was a great show. Maynard barely spoke a word all night, which is typical for him, but at Memorial Hall he seemed to talk a lot more than usual. I got to see them at memroial and was right up front right in front of Justin. I had a lot of idiots just jumping up and down during The Pot, but other than that, the show was amazing.

Last edited by fearxile; 09-15-2006 at 09:17 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I just want to say, fuck you all who were moshing during EVERY FUCKING SONG!. Yes, you idiots were even moshing during Wings for Marie.

Great, great show (the best concert I've ever seen), but I just hate the unnecessary chaos on the floor. Go to a UFC fight to get your rage out.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Maynard sounded awesome... If that's him when he's sick then god D**N... That guy is amazing. The whole band is really. The only thing I found disappointing was that they didn't play some old school songs that I wanted to hear. Opiate was missing as was the entire Undertow album. Oh well, TOOL Fu&&ing rocks!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 4th Tool show and have to say the best. Even though Maynard has been sick he just seemed more into the show this time around than that of the past. Especially liked Jambi and Rosetta Stoned. Everyone played well and seemed as the show progressed it got louder and more intense. Thanks Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Much better than Maryland CA, except for the stupid fuck who kept asking me to sit down
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #7
saving up a sunny day (tdn shupporter)
Suicide Booth ID: 4

Bincount™: 19504

My first tool show (and first rock concert!) and it was fucking amazing! Thank you, tool. Can't wait to see them again next year. Oh and after Lateralus, Maynard said Goodnight and Thank you as usual, but added "I was just kidding, there's two more, sit your ass back down" or something to that effect. And then, said "I was kidding. Goodnight". I found that pretty funny. Did anyone catch what he said to/about those bunch of people holding a T O O L sign to the right of the stage?
Also, I was expecting Maynard to run off the stage right after finishing the last song. But, he stuck around for a bit and threw some water bottles into the crowd. Then he went around holding out his hand to Adam, Danny and Justin. Don't know what the deal is with that. Probably some inside joke.

Last edited by Pala Cósmico; 09-15-2006 at 10:14 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palag View Post
Did anyone catch what he said to/about those bunch of people holding a T O O L sign to the right of the stage?
I don't know, but man, they held that thing up for the ENTIRE show! Bravo to you guys. You have stronger arms than I.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:12 PM   #9

what did maynard say before "the pot?" something like....
"i've been a little under the weather lately, and i'm not supposed to sing this song. but i'm going to anyway. (applause) i'm not doing it because i'm nice, i'm doing it because if i don't, you all will cry like a bunch of babies. so here is some bitching therepy, please spread it around." i'm sure i'm a little off. please correct me wherever i messed up. that's pretty close though. that was so early in the concert, and he didn't talk to us as much as he did at memorial hall in may. anyway, that was intense and incredible. the lasers meshed flat a few times and reflected the "fakefog" into cloud formations. the lighters during the break was BEAUTIFUL! i was in the front row of section 112 and the perspective of all the lighters was (add another positive adjective here!) THANK YOU, TOOL! the music was spot-on, and the vocals, although a BIT low compared to the music (just like the new album,) were delivered wonderfully. alright, enough with the compliments, they rocked!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:15 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

I was absolutely floored when I heard the resonant tone that meant they were playing Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days. There I was muttering to my girlfriend, "Holy fucking shit." And then Lateralus. I realized I could go to every show on this tour and still get just as hyped at every single one as I was tonight.

Some friends and I hung back by the tour busses for a while after the show hoping to get to meet a member of the band or something. All we got to see was Justin ride by on his bike, kinda stumble off of it, talk on his cell phone for a while, and then walk to his bus, leaving his bike right where it was. Had I met anyone in the band, I would've thanked them for making art for art's sake. And that's probably all I would've felt the need to say.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

My first Tool concert, and EASILY the best show I have ever seen. The floor projections, laser lights, and 10,000 Days curved light displays in the back were all incredible. I was blown away by the sound quality, especially on some of the tones and effects that sounded like they took quite a bit of studio tweaking. Overall, I'd give this show an 11/10! Lateralus live was the most powerful musical moment I think I have ever experienced.

Also, Maynard square-dancing to the solo section in Jambi pretty much made my life.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
saving up a sunny day (tdn shupporter)
Suicide Booth ID: 4

Bincount™: 19504

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak attack View Post
Also, Maynard square-dancing to the solo section in Jambi pretty much made my life.
That was hilarious! Does he always do that during the solo? In all the bootlegs I've seen, the taper focuses on Adam (duh) for the entire solo, so I have no idea what Maynard is usually upto then.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar View Post
the lasers meshed flat a few times and reflected the "fakefog" into cloud formations.

That part was fucking awesome. They looked like real thunderstorm clouds.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Best concert of my life. Period.

We had floor so we couldn't see the screens on the stage but we could see the lazer/light show just great because it was right above us. I definatly hope they come back though so I can get seat tickets and get the full experience.

Highlight was definatly Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days
Old 09-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

First off, Isis was horrible! I don't know who Gregorio in Dalllas saw, but it must have been a different band. They have a good drummer, but he is hidden by the amps. He is the ONLY reason to watch them. It was like elevator music and Pantera meshed together (horribly I might add). Nothing to see here Minnesota!!!

Tool's set was the same as Dallas, so all of you who wrote it down to post it here, don't waste your time.

Maynard was pretty animated for being sick recently. He covered it well. His vocals were AMAZING! There were a couple of songs he didn't finish the lyrics on though. Adam played great, but messed up a little at the end of Lateralus. He mostly stayed in one spot. Justin was killer on the bass. It seemed like he was into every song, and was moving around more than last time at Memorial Hall. Danny IS the DRUMMING GOD. He played flawlessly, hard as hell, and viciously tore through the set.

I think Schism is on it's last leg as a set piece, and I could have done without Rosetta Stoned. I know it's new, but with the walkie talkie lyrics at the begining I think it is better off played in my elsewhere. If they could start off in the middle of the song it would be much better. Wings seemed like a space filler. 10,000 Days was good to see once, but the lasers took away from the on stage performance.

Now for the good. Stinkfist is an amazing way to start the show. The Pot, 46 & 2, and Jambi were played with high energy and the crowd LOVED it. Lateralus is ALWAYS good live, and the visuals were the best ones of the night. Vicarious and Aenema are the ABSOLUTE BEST way to end the show. No Opiate tonight which was a little disappointing, but there is always the second leg of the tour, right?

Crowd - A+
Energy - A+
Set list - B-
Lasers - C
Overall TOOL experience - A+++++
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

This show has been the best show I have ever been to. This was my 12th time to see them and they impress me everytime more and more. I was hoping they would play Wings for Marie 1&2 and when they started I went numb. A tool concert is not explainable, you just have to see it for yourself. I will be waiting for the next album and tour patientelly. Maynard stated he was sick, but sounded great. The entire band was insinc all night and sounded supurb. Great fucking show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:25 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Show was great!

It appeared to me that Maynard was doing some pantomime in the middle of "Jambi" as if he was riding a bull - waving his hat and holding on like a bullrider. Perhaps a joke regarding the venue and the city - Kemper arena is down in the stockyards of KC next to the American Royal where they hold stock shows.

Also, Kemper Arena SUCKS. They tried to put the video that was behind the band up on the giant monitor they use during sporting events, but the signal kept breaking up. It worked pretty good through "Jambi", but pretty much stopped working after that. Kind of disappointing for those of us sitting closer to the back of the arena.

Laser lights were great, and Aenima is a great closer! Everyone chanting: Learn to swim....learn to swim...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

As post as the other posters have mentioned... Awesome, awesome, fantabulus show. Mad props to the people with the TOOL sign. I loved seeing one hand holding a letter, and the other hand holding a lighter. Which is something that I would like to thank all the people in attendance for. Awesome sight looking out seeing that many little flames, looked really, really, well- beautiful.

I would like to say that I for one dug the shit outta ISIS. I only caught half thier set, But, well, I'm listening to some ISIS right now. And I'm tired of hearing them catch shit. Solid, heavy sounds, and besides. You went there to see Tool, right? ISIS was a free little appatizer to get the mood right. ISIS was there because Tool likes them and wanted to expose us (you) to something new. Kinda like when I got to see APC with Sunna... and now Sunna is ranked number 9 on my last.fm page. Or when Tool had Bill Hicks open those few shows... I don't even need to say anything else there.

But yeah, Tool was solid and dead on. Maynard was Maynard, what ever that means- and for what it's worth. Mostly stayed on his platform except during Lost Keys. Adam seems to have the TalkBox down, and I jived when he walked closer to the center of the stage during Schism (maybe it was Jambi?) and they proceeded to rock the fuck out. That part alone shows Danny's skills, and skills were in abundance in Danny's case. The Man threw in so many sick as fuck fills, ... I just don't know what to say about Danny, if you've seen him play you know what I mean. And Justins bass is right where it should be. As a band, Tool could not have sounded better, They were spot on, and the way they were playing the songs shows how well they work together. If it gets better than this, well. I'll have me a ticket... no doubt about that.

And in closing, I paid for the ticket I bought because that is WHERE I WANTED TO VIEW THE SHOW FROM. I'm about sick of seeing these assholes with second balcony tickets deciding where THEY want to view the show from. And that's usually somewhere in lower level reserved seats. I didn't have much trouble, I was on my feet and animated enough that I was able to keep a decent "comfort zone" around me, Picking an asile seat was worth it, belive that. But I watched these 3 scraggly looking fucks elbow in 3 rows ahead of me and completely fuck the view for about 6 people behind them. I'd like to think that Tool fans are more enlightened than this. But I'd a;so like to think that Tool fans see the idiocy of moshing....

So yeah, Do I get the longest post prize? Thank you Sooo very much, TooL.
This was my first time to see you play live and you definately surpassed everything I had expected, I'd even hazard to say that you surpassed everything I was hoping for. (Sober and Right In Two woulda put it over the top. ;p )
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Thanks fellas. Show blew me away. Only problem with anything TOOL is that it spoils everything else.

Boy was I glad I wasn't on the floor to get my shit knocked around. Fun to watch though. Let all the idiots tear eachother apart.

I've seen a bunch of shows at Kemper and around KC and KC concert goers are generally lame as fuck and lacking energy. Tonight was certainly the exception. Only other time I've seen energy like that in KC was...surprise...at a Tool show...or at Bryant's BBQ.

Now you can fuck off.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Now, now. Let's not get upset over one's opinion. You, as a Tool fan, should understand this! You're right, we didn't go to see the opening band, but in my OPINION, their choice could have been much better. For instance, Kyuss would have been a better selection. I just didn't think the types of music Isis put togather worked (elevator, heavy pogressive rock, and Pantera vocals). Maybe the guys in Tool lost a bet and had to bring them on tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 01:26 AM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearxile View Post
StinkFist(Extended)
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism(On Crack)
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Wings Pt. 1
10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)
Encore
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema
This is the first time I've seen them play and was pleasantly impressed by the live act. His singing is actually clearer in person than on the album and they improved some of the songs to make them more crowd pleasing. The other marks of master musicians: incredible use of rhythm, volume, and theme.

Given the types of people I saw, I expected a lot of stupid shit from the audience but nothing happened. Crowd was into it, sang along for most of it...felt great.

I've been under the impression that Tool doesn't really ever compliment an audience and often times will perform an entire set without really addressing them. Maybe that's bs, idk. Regardless, it was memorable when everybody lit up their lighters and one of the band members followed suit. They understood their exemplory performance was appreciated and seemed happy to be playing.

Most everyone I know was surprised to hear the entire Wings suite but very glad they did. The lasers drawing the wings in the air were pretty badass and the bass player churned out a studio replica without error.

Overall, was immensely impressed with their mastery of their craft and was delighted to find the live show to actually be superior to the album versions of their tracks. Was worth every penny and I hope I can catch another date.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 07:18 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow, thats all I can say. I was on the floor and got the shit beat out of me but overall everyone was very respectful. There was obviously a group of people that just came to the concert to get some aggression out but they did it respectfully and overall the pit looked a lot worse than it actually was.

I dont know about you guys but my favorite part of the concert was the end. You could tell that they were soaking it in. Either this could have been the excellent crowd or it could have been the band soaking in one of there last tours in a very long time. You could tell that the KC crowd really impressed the band. Thank you Kansas City for showing up and giving so much love to the best band in the world. World class performance and world class crowd.

Worth every penny of my $66. The shirts on the other hand, good lord. Oh and can someone please comment on the irony of Tool Los Angeles being printed on every sleeve! WTF

I love danny to death, to bad he is a Jayhawk fan. Crowd reacted well to him tugging on his personalized Jayhawk jersey. I hope I see him at the MU KU game this year.

Last edited by rongbips; 09-16-2006 at 07:21 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

I loved it and hated it. I loved it because tool played a rather wonderful set. I hated it because there was a fat ass "see you auntie" behind me yelling every second and doing those lound screeching wristle directly into my ear. I told her to tone it down but never did and basicly ruined the show for me because all i could think was "Dont hit a girl, dont hit a girl...." anyway.....

I loved stinkfist! that extended part is just amazing, i wish there was a recording (studio quality) of that. I really liked lost keys/RS as an opener, more of an energy builder. The pot was weird. all the parts i thought he wasnt going to sing he sung and other (i guess) less stressful part he didnt (not counting when the crowd was to sing) still really great. For some reason Butter and justin seem to go hand in hand. 46&2 was neeto. Jambi was neeto also, a wee bit more so though. Schism was boring like none other. It was good in may but kinda gey this time. Lost keys/RS was pretty damn good, then again that was my first so i herd live by them so im a little bias but it was still was good reguardless. Wings for marrie/10,000 days was great, why you would cheer during that song is beyond me. yeahhhhh your moms dead wooooo. (again with the fat "see you auntie")
The lazers set the mood perfectly when sitting down it was all so enchanting and peaceful. The smoke clounds! almost tear worth by its self alone. I like when they laid it flat with the red and the green. id like to know how they did that bending thing too. Then came the sea of lighters, (a major code violation i might add) that was really cool. I was waiting for a bight flame though. i was thinking someone hair has go to catch on fire. if the ratio was 1 in every many thousand of people then....ya know. Maynard was being a silly goose. lateralus was cool, a definate must see (much like the passion of the christ). that wierd trippy intro to vicarious was damn sweet! tool should have another long break and release an ambient album. Vicarious its self was really good and although the person above many post is probably right, i think he did sing "much better you than I" but that could have been my thoughts filling it in. Anema Enema was a nice ending, not the best ending but an ending never the less.

thats all from me.....just kidding theres more.....just kidding, im done

Last edited by Shredward; 09-16-2006 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: a lack of dictionary
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 08:16 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

1.) THANK YOU TOOL, for being the best band ever and playing the best show we've ever seen!
2.) THANK YOU DANNY CAREY, for being a complete bad-ass and performing a hell of a homecoming show (KC loves you brother)!!
3.) THANK YOU MAYNARD, for performing your ass off even though you are little under the weather (none of us could tell)!!!

Enough with the ass kissing…

ISIS: Isis rocked out. The screaming vocals were a little offsetting but overall they know how to fuck’n do it. Great grooves, great energy, and a very deserving act to open for Tool.

Tool: HOLY FUCKING SHIT! The all white stage with the white monitors and the techs with the white medical jackets were all really awesome. The floor crowd was intense. Probably the roughest crowd we’ve ever been a part of but nothing less than what you would expect from a Tool crowd. Stinkfist was and always will be a great opener. Maynard mentioned something about us being whiny babies if they didn’t play The Pot (which was amazing live). Great energy throughout the entire show. The concert was amazing but the show didn’t start until Wings for Marie Pt. 1 into 10,000 Days. We got chills from the music and the mind blowing visuals. AWESOME LAZER SHOW! The lighters for the encore were such an overwhelming sight. Danny was the first to stand and the crowd went crazy. Did any one else notice that the encore seemed a lot louder than the rest of the show? Lateralus was incredible live. Vicarious was indescribable and the crowd helped out with some of the vocals towards the end. Ænema. WOW! Uh… yeah that’s pretty much all you have to say! Overall, greatest concert/ show ever. Exceeded ALL expectations and probably the most inspiring performances we’ve ever seen! Thank you again Tool!

Merchandise when we got there was pretty much non-existent. They only had XXL’s so I got a tour hat. There was, however, a really sick limited edition Ramirez lithograph long sleeve shirt that was pretty much the tits. If anyone knows where else to get it let us know.

Side note: Did anyone else see that beautiful fireworks display right over the city following the show? We don’t know if that has any correlation with Tool, but that would be pretty sweet if it did!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Thoughts before the show:
Call me an elitist, call me arrogant, call me whatever. I understand liking the band and wanting to show support, but " think for yourself" applies to more than just verbage. Walking around felt like ...high school. Checkout my brand new shirt of the band I'm going to see wearing the shirt of the band I'm going to see. It's cool more people are into Tool, but you ever get the feeling it's the "cool thing" to see Tool? The music should be a unifier. I felt out of place not smoking and drinking 'til I stumble, mumble, and fumble. So from the corner of Liberty & Wyoming, high on my horse and waving my mighty finger, I wait... and see an underbelly.
Thoughts after:
Music and Tools performance were great. As for the crowd, lemmings. All lemmings. One person clap, all people clap. One person give a WOOOO during Wings(WTF?), everyone give a WOOOO. I think I'm getting old and pissy, but I want Tool to play an opera house. No pit, no drunken beligerant fuckers. Just a stage for the artists and their craft.
Also, I saw the fireworks. Kinda cool, kinda funny anyway. Maynard, you buck ridin' two-steppin' sumbitch. Ride on.

Last edited by Aquaqube; 09-16-2006 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: found more scribbling on my arm...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

"I want Tool to play an opera house. No pit, no drunken beligerant fuckers. Just a stage for the artists and their craft."

I think that's what we got at Memorial earlier this year . . .
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaqube View Post
Call me an elitist, call me arrogant, call me whatever. I understand liking the band and wanting to show support, but " think for yourself" applies to more than just verbage. Walking around felt like ...high school. Checkout my brand new shirt of the band I'm going to see wearing the shirt of the band I'm going to see. It's cool more people are into Tool, but you ever get the feeling it's the "cool thing" to see Tool? The music should be a unifier. I felt out of place not smoking and drinking 'til I stumble, mumble, and fumble. So from the corner of Liberty & Wyoming, high on my horse and waving my mighty finger, I wait... and see an underbelly.
Thoughts after:
Music and Tools performance were great. As for the crowd, lemmings. All lemmings. One person clap, all people clap. One person give a WOOOO during Wings(WTF?), everyone give a WOOOO. I think I'm getting old and pissy, but I want Tool to play an opera house. No pit, no drunken beligerant fuckers. Just a stage for the artists and their craft.
Also, I saw the fireworks. Kinda cool, kinda funny anyway. Maynard, you buck ridin' two-steppin' sumbitch. Ride on.

Uh, that's part of the fun of a rock concert. I do agree to an extent about the Wings moshing/wooing; it was a little out of place, but I got a shirt, I screamed the words, and I had a great time. If that makes me a "lemming," then I guess I don't want to think for myself!

And I was wondering about the LA thing on the shirt also, is it in reference to AEnima, their hometown (as a band), both, or something different?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

show was great after the first three songs :S

I can understand mob mentality at a concert, but I thought I was going to get in a fight at one point last night. I have floor tickets, and get lucky enough to be on the rail directly in front of Adam. My girlfriend is in front of me on the rail, and Im behind her. Show starts, and so does the pushing. I really think nothing of it...fuck its a rock concert, what do ya expect? At one point in time durring The Pot it gets unbearable. Ive been to alot of concerts, but this was the worst its been. I turn around to see a 300 lb (not an exaggeration) fat fuck of a man who was either mentally retarded, or on some nice "concert boosters", decided he wanted to be where my girlfriend was standing, so he was ramming into me. At first we thought it was kinda funny...he looked so determined, but after awhile my back started to cave. At one point in time I looked back, and he had his head and shoulder down directly into the small of my back pushing. WTF? After awhile the cestpool decieded to smash up a girl next to him (which I felt extremely sorry for, but couldnt move to grab her and pull her forward), causing her to cry hysterically. Finally security did something about it, and the rest of the show was amazing. Missed the first three songs...but eh. What can ya do. It was times like this Im glad Im a 6'5 250 ex-football player (I apologize for anyone on the floor who couldn't see over my large ass). I was in the white shirt, with the grey hat.

After Porky stopped, the rest of the show was great. Wings/10KD was REALLY meant to be played live. I thought it was only the 3rd best track off 10K Days, but after seeing it live, I have a new found respect for it.

Didn't buy any mech, but got the lady a shirt.

ISIS....fucking brilliant. Few drunkerds behind me yelling they suck and get off the stage. Same guys who decided to brag about their front row seats to see Nickleback tommorow. Awesome....

There setlist was:
So Did We
Dulciinea
1000 Shards
Holy Tears

I was REALLY wanting a longer set from ISIS, but I'll take what I can get. They rocked hard.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 10:22 AM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

good show, not the greatest. i saw the show in dallas the night before, the set list was the same,(as far as i remember) but there were some minor problems, mostly due to the venue. the jumbo-tron didnt work at all really, which i was bummber cause i wanted to watch it to see what i missed in dallas (i was right under the jumbo tron on the floor there.) also, the arena was smaller than AAC so the lasers would be cut out half way through the arena, other than that it was good. not the same energy as dallas, but still an awesome show.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Simply amazing show. This was my first Tool show, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. I'd always heard they put on a hell of a show, and they did. Tool was one of the last bands that I hadn't seen live yet and was dying to. I'm glad I got a chance to see them finally.

The setlist was great. I LOVED the way they played Schism, speeding up the middle section. Schism was the song that got me into Tool, so it was cool hearing such a badass rendition of it live. If a bootleg or anything ever becomes available of this show, I would really like to have it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

First Tool show, and when I try to compare it to any other show I've ever been to, I realize that what I experienced last night is something else altogether. To say that it was the best show I have ever seen (quite a few) would be an understatement. I have been a huge tool fan since Lateralus, and if I had really been exposed to them before that, I'm sure I would have been a fan even earlier. That being said, I waited four years for this show after not being able to attend the Lateralus tour, and I'm thrilled that I was finally able to see them. I will continue to see every show in my area for as long as they continue to play.

Now for the details. I didn't think Isis was amazing, but I would never dream of scoffing at them either. I could tell that they can definitely create moods with their music through their use of reverb and layering. Their drummer was great, but, of course, he was taking the stage just before the legendary-being, THE Danny Carey. Some old guy sitting next to me had an Isis cd that he bought, and when I asked him, "Is that the Isis cd?" he replied, "Nope, its the new Tool cd." As I could see plainly even in the dark, it was not 10000 Days, I got goosebumps. Maybe they released a live album or something that I didnt hear about. I got up and went quickly to the merchandise booth, waited in a big mob of people for about fifteen minutes only to discover that it was, just as I had suspected, the Isis cd. I still have no idea why the guy lied to me. Just some old fruitcake I guess.

Then Tool started. YOu cant even really talk about highlights at a show like this. It transcended the idea that a band would have high moments and low moments in a set. I always hear and read about how people hate that others mosh at Tool shows, which didnt really bother me, because it didnt affect me. What did bother me was the fact that everyone didnt remain completely silent throughout Wings pt 1 and 2. I dont want to bitch about it, but I jsut think that would have been really cool. The lighters at the end of the regular set was amazing, you felt like you were in some sort of Pagan Temple, it truly reminded me of the second Indiana Jones movie. THe room was WELL lit.

All in all an amazing show I wouldnt trade it for the world.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It's just too bad Aquaqube didn't feel the love last night. ...Most of the band shirts that I saw were that perfect color of faded black that only comes with years of wear; although I'll admit my Alex Grey minidress only arrived this week--I just wanted to make a good contribution to the visual scenery. From my vantage point, I only saw one little mosh pit on the floor--just a few idiots who have no idea what the experience is truly about. The rest of the people that I saw were genuinely ecstatic to be there. I really loved it how even before and after the show, everyone was still yelling out their love for TOOL.

As for the actual show, I'm still speechless about most of the experience. This was my second golden opportunity to see true art in action and was definitely worth the wait for the past four+ years. I was disappointed at first about the visuals not working on the screens, until I realized that the stage was a much better place for them anyway. GOD, I loved those visuals...it was like I had to take in just as much stimuli as I could. I'm pretty damn sure I simultaneously blew all my mental fuses...or was it multiple orgasms? Probably both. After a while, I couldn't remember to focus on anything...beautiful to just "lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in...feel it move across my skin."

Ah, but they definitely left me wanting more and screaming for it as well. I absolutely hated how they turned on the lights and shitty music as soon as they left stage. It was like, "Alright folks, enough with you and your devil music. Now clear out so we can air this bitch out." I had to sit there for quite a few minutes to resign myself to the fact that it was over.

I seriously wanted to hug everyone in the crowd for showing so much love. It was definitely one of my favorite parts during the intermission when everyone was on their feet, or stomping, whistling, cheering...and all those lighters were beautiful. I loved it how the band was just sitting back, soaking it all in.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #33
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartenderBryan View Post
You, as a Tool fan, should understand this! You're right, we didn't go to see the opening band, but in my OPINION, their choice could have been much better. For instance, Kyuss would have been a better selection. I just didn't think the types of music Isis put togather worked (elevator, heavy pogressive rock, and Pantera vocals). Maybe the guys in Tool lost a bet and had to bring them on tour.
OK, well, as an alternative to your "lost a bet" theory. Maybe Tool likes the way that when ISIS plays it's five guys who get to walk out on stage and rock out. It's not "walk out, play these songs this way" it's more "go out, and rock". I don't know how to explain it, but some music is more restraining in the way you play it. For instance, in a Tool performance- the vocals carry most of the emotion. minimilist vocals and the attention gets drawn to the "music" In contrast to the term "elevator music" I think "mood music" is more fitting. The only elevator you'll hear ISIS in is the elevator to hell. And besides, can you imagine an elevator ride with ISIS? I'd be soo spooked by the music that I'd almost be prepared for what I'd find at the bottom.

But yeah, it's all about opinion. In Tool's opinion, ISIS was a good choice for an opening band. Some people think they made an good choice. Others... not so much. Personally I'd prefer they bring someone I've NEVER heard -OF- before. So at this point I think I'm 3/4 on Tool(ish) introduced artists. I LOVE Bill Hicks (Really, I do. Quiz me. Give me a line, I'll finish it. Gimme an EtchASketch, I'll show my work.) I dig the shit outta Sunna (the (ish) part, I was introduced to Sunna when they were opening for Perfect Circle in the Mer de Noms tour. I'm digging ISIS. But I'm really not a fan of Mushuggah (sp?). 3/4 and that's to say nothing of the bands like BUTCHER, that are on my list of bands to give a serious chance.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #34
Hym
Level 4 - Thinker

ISIS are the definition of ambient music. If you dislike ambient music then you are impatient. If you are impatient then I don't know why you are listening to TOOL.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Call me an elitist, call me arrogant, call me whatever. I understand liking the band and wanting to show support, but " think for yourself" applies to more than just verbage. Walking around felt like ...high school. but you ever get the feeling it's the "cool thing" to see Tool? I felt out of place not smoking and drinking 'til I stumble, mumble, and fumble.

As for the crowd, lemmings. All lemmings. One person clap, all people clap. I think I'm getting old and pissy, but I want Tool to play an opera house. No pit, no drunken beligerant fuckers. Just a stage for the artists and their craft.
Also, I saw the fireworks. Kinda cool, kinda funny anyway. Ride on.
^Heavily edited... I hated to do it, So many good points in there...

*elitist*

I personally get a kick outta hearing when a song has a flase ending (like so many Tool Songs do) and seeing the crowd react, Sure I'll clap some then (actually, I'll cheer in the middle of a song, like when Danny impresses the fuck outta me.)
But I also realize that in a minute and a half I'm gonna seriously have to give it up. But I think the cheering during songs is neccessary to keep the energy level high. The band feeds off of us. You saw Danny after the break, and yeah, he is a workaholic, but he was first on his feet. But The Band felt us. Justin once again appreciated the lighters. There was unity in that, but there was also a lemming-ish mentality that goes along with that. "Oh, those people are holding up lighters, so I guess I should too" or my view "Wow, that looks really, really, beautiful. I'll do my part to help *out comes the lighter*"

And yeah, the asshole/highschool factor is high. But the way I look at it. I payed to see Tool. All those other idiots payed to kill some brain cells, oh, and for my light show.

Without bodies in the seats Tool couldn't afford the shows they're putting on. Yeah, they can easily fill Halls, like Memorial, hell They coulda probably sold out Memorial 3 or 4 nights with true fans. Or they fill Kemper and they get the room to put on the show they wanna do, they get room to work.

I missed the fireworks. I waited till crowd control chased me outta my seat. Then I sat in traffic for an hour and a half. Actually I sat in traffic for 15 minutes, then I pulled over to the side and waited till I had room to drive. Then I discovered that if they had just let me turn left, instead of forcing me to go right.

Any word on if they were Official Tool-works? I doubt it, but it would be a pretty nifty addition to the light show we already got.

"Spark becomes a flame.
Flame becomes a fire."
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #36
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

This was by far the most amazing concert I've ever been to, and possibly the most powerfull thing I have ever experienced.

To say this band is the closest thing to seing Pink Floyd live in this day and age is an under-statement.

The whole stage was a giant screen that images were projected onto. Because of this, the band were constantly changing colors and designs were flying all over the place. Unfortunatly sence Jeff and I were on the floor, we couldn't see much of this... but I've seen pictures and video of the stage and it is simply mind blowing.

When they started playing Wings for Marie... about halfway through... the lasers shot out into the stadium and oh my god.... people around me were going "holy shit! oh my god! whoa! wow!". The song is very soft and very emotional and everyone around me were just blown away. People's mouths were wide open. Jeff and I looked at eachother with understanding at how amazing it was. More lazers started coming out and they were everywhere... going back and forth and changing colors. I felt like crying.

Wings for Marie / 10,000 days was definatly the high point of the concert, followed closely by Lateralus where they raised these hanging lights behind the stage that resembled Alex Grey's state of being artwork that they sell as posters. Maynard would sing "black and white are all I see in my infancy" as these lights were changing from black to white. Then he would sing "red and yellow then came to me" and red and yellow waves of color was washing over these hanging lights and the lasers were moving in this specific pattern from above, below, and behind the stage. There were even lasers coming out of the sound mixing area in the middle of Kemper pointing towards the stage.

Oh my fucking god... I STILL haven't recovered from this show.

Danny carrey is god! Oh man...

Maynard was awsome. He had a cowboy hat and a big belt buckle and was swinging his hat around and dancing. He did a line dance during the solo of Jambi, it was halarious! He was definatly into it.

You could tell that it meant alot to the whole band. They really showed how into it they were.

At the end of the concert, they all hugged eachother and through shit out to the crowed and waved at everyone.

Oh and the lighters during Wings for Marie.... i've never seen such an amazing sea of lights.

I don't know what else to say. I feel so bad for all my friends that weren't able to experience this. I've heard rumors that they will be doing a 2nd US tour and if they do, you CAN'T MISS IT! Believe me, it's NOT something you want to miss.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Great show, great time.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

AWESOME FUCKING SHOW! I saw the small venue show in KC as well, and this was FAR BETTER. Worth the drive from St Louis, but really wish you would stop by the gateway to the midwest!!!!!! Maynard was more animated than Ive ever seen; swinging his hat around like he was riding a bull or something...great move! Crowd was loud and VERY into every song. Oh and like "idiots must die" said (Iwas sitting next to him), Section 235 row D seat 3-4 can kiss my ass! Sit down while my favorite band is rocking the place?? FUCK YOU!!!!! Tool rocks, MAYNARD FOR PRESIDENT!!! Danny looked like some cartoon figure when he plays, arms and sticks flyin every fuckin place..... One last thought... "Its not enough I need more....!!"
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Thoughts after:

In case you forgot, Tool is a rock and roll band, not a string quartet.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

^agreed.

and while string quartets have been known to do justice to Tool's music, it cannot be denied that Tool fucking ROCKS. you can't help but have fun and rock out. i'm not a lemming, everything i shouted/cheered/lit up at that concert was for my own enjoyment solely.

i only wish i'd had a banner to hold up for the band: "LONG LIVE RUGGED INDIVIDUALISM"; i'm sure there were many like-minded INDIVIDUALS there who would have agreed with me.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: