opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Poetry & Prose
User Name
Password
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323
Swimming on stars

Looked up to the stars and contemplated for a while, wishing a wormhole could transport me to another galaxy. Lost in thought connecting the dots of constellations watching slow moving clouds kissing the stratosphere, I felt atomic.

Complications seized to exist for a brief time. The wind blown trees dancing around me with the sound of brittle leaves clapping, not knowing that soon they'll be scattered across the coarse terrain. Before too long a numbing nose and arctic ears brought me back down reminding me that flesh is very delicate and that it was time to retire indoors.

One last thought flashed in my mind as I laid myself down to rest, picturing alluring exotic forms of life swimming on ancient stars long ago before all this disarray.

Last edited by lotus.; 10-27-2008 at 09:56 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
APT
Jörmungandr

Bincount™: 929
Re: Swimming on stars

No form of life could swim on a star, ancient or not.

Or was that a metaphor...
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
-Vince Lombardi
Old 10-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Up From The Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by APT View Post
No form of life could swim on a star, ancient or not.
That's awfully pretentious APT.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 14

Personally, I would have just kept lying there. I also think that natural disarray would be very beneficial to all of us. It is the disarray caused by human control factors that causes so much inner consternation.

Also, I think you mean "ceased" instead of "seized". Maybe not.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
Up From The Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloch View Post
Personally, I would have just kept lying there. I also think that natural disarray would be very beneficial to all of us. It is the disarray caused by human control factors that causes so much inner consternation.

Also, I think you mean "ceased" instead of "seized". Maybe not.
I was going to break out the telescope last night but it was just too cold for me, maybe in the next few days when it's a bit warmer.

I see what you're saying.

Yeah, I did mean to put ceased. Thank you for the correction Moloch. Looks like it's too late to edit :(
Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 14

We're all the offspring of stars, btw.

Exhaled molecules.

Quote:
VY Canis Majoris, one of the most luminous infrared objects in the sky, is an old star about 5,000 light years away. It's a half million times more luminous than the sun, but glows mostly in the infrared because it's a cool star. It truly is "supergiant" -- 25 times as massive as the sun and so huge that it would fill the orbit of Jupiter.

But the star is losing mass so fast that in a million years -- an astronomical eyeblink -- it will be gone. The star already has blown away a large part of its atmosphere, creating its surrounding envelope that contains about twice as much oxygen as carbon.

Ziurys and her colleagues are not yet halfway through their survey of VY Canis Majoris, but they've already published in the journal, Nature (June 28 issue), about their observations of a score of chemical compounds. These include some molecules that astronomers have never detected around stars and are needed for life.

Among the molecules Ziurys and her team reported in Nature are table salt (NaCl); a compound called phosphorus nitride (PN), which contains two of the five most necessary ingredients for life; molecules of HNC, which is a variant form of the organic molecule, hydrogen cyanide; and an ion molecule form of carbon monoxide that comes with a proton attached (HCO+). Astronomers have found very little phosphorus or ion molecule chemistry in outflows from cool stars until now.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
Up From The Skies

Mind-blowing.

The Universe on The History Channel is one of the best things that has ever aired on television.
Watch full episodes! http://www.history.com/minisite.do?mini_id=54036

Last edited by lotus.; 10-29-2008 at 08:47 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: