Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
*33222*
05-09-2006, 11:04 AM

ok...with lateralus it was just an honest opinion, but this review just made me want to punch my computer screen! Ignorant fuck! (I love indie music but I have beef with pitchfork and this just tops it off!)

Tool
10,000 Days
[Volcano; 2006]
Rating: 5.9

Like most progressive rock and heavy metal-- hell, maybe most popular music in general-- suspension of disbelief is key with Tool. Taken at face value, with their song suites, meat puppet videos, and histrionic singer, they're pretty goofy. People make fun of Tool fans because they assume they take the band seriously-- these spotty, greasy kids with bad shoes and worse hair who already wear an insult on their T-shirts. At 28, I'd feel funny mocking 15-year-olds still finding their place in the world. And as for taking them seriously-- well, I take Tool about as seriously as I do black metal or Lil Jon or the films of Tsui Hark. Which is to say, not very.

A Pitchfork-friendly analogy: Tool are the Radiohead of nü-metal. Both bands predate scenes they later became avatars for; both were more creative and inspirational than their followers; both were incredibly pretentious; and both still managed to sell an ass-load of records. Tool didn't release an album between 1996 and 2001. They missed nü-metal's entire rise and fall, an era of whiteboy dreads, bonsai facial hair, funk bass poppin', and constipated balladry. And much like Radiohead when they dropped the Kid A/Amnesiac doubleshot, Tool released Lateralus early in this decade to radio silence and huge numbers.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 6
REVIEW!!!!!!

ok...with lateralus it was just an honest opinion, but this review just made me want to punch my computer screen! Ignorant fuck! (I love indie music but I have beef with pitchfork and this just tops it off!)

Tool
10,000 Days
[Volcano; 2006]

Like most progressive rock and heavy metal-- hell, maybe most popular music in general-- suspension of disbelief is key with Tool. Taken at face value, with their song suites, meat puppet videos, and histrionic singer, they're pretty goofy. People make fun of Tool fans because they assume they take the band seriously-- these spotty, greasy kids with bad shoes and worse hair who already wear an insult on their T-shirts. At 28, I'd feel funny mocking 15-year-olds still finding their place in the world. And as for taking them seriously-- well, I take Tool about as seriously as I do black metal or Lil Jon or the films of Tsui Hark. Which is to say, not very.

A Pitchfork-friendly analogy: Tool are the Radiohead of nü-metal. Both bands predate scenes they later became avatars for; both were more creative and inspirational than their followers; both were incredibly pretentious; and both still managed to sell an ass-load of records. Tool didn't release an album between 1996 and 2001. They missed nü-metal's entire rise and fall, an era of whiteboy dreads, bonsai facial hair, funk bass poppin', and constipated balladry. And much like Radiohead when they dropped the Kid A/Amnesiac doubleshot, Tool released Lateralus early in this decade to radio silence and huge numbers.
OFFLINE |  
*33222*
05-09-2006, 11:05 AM

yet again pitchfork misses the boat with review!!!
ok...with lateralus it was just an honest opinion, but this review just made me want to punch my computer screen! Ignorant fuck! (sorry I love indie music but I have beef with pitchfork and this just tops it off!)

Tool
10,000 Days
[Volcano; 2006]

Like a mall-friendly King Crimson, Lateralus had a starless and bible black sound that actually rocked rather than wittering on, converting complex, mathematic passages into visceral rock. Also like King Crimson, the lyrics were mostly garbage, but goddamn did that rhythm section pummel the shit out of its instruments. As with the Mars Volta's debut, the drums were the lead voice on Lateralus, and Danny Carey was his instrument's Minnie Ripperton.

Five years later, Tool return with 10,000 Days. But rather than delving further into experimentation or exploring their strengths, Tool have made an...A Perfect Circle record. Like singer Maynard James Keenan's side project, 10,000 Days is considerably less punishing and much more ethereal. Songs like "Lost Keys" and "Vigniti Tires" are dark ambient soundscrapes that just make you wonder where the drums went. And when they are there, they're decidedly less brutal than on Lateralus. On "Right in Two" they sound more like bongos. The title track features sitar and tabla. Listening to this album, you get the sinking feeling that Tool have made an art-rock, rather than art-metal, album. And yes, the difference is considerable.

Keenan's vocals are no less powerful here, but your appreciation of his style still depends largely on your feelings towards quasi-operatic hard rock (you know, like emo, except they actually hit the notes they're going for). People who enjoy voices that sound like they're singing into their overcoats to ward off a night chill will probably find it embarrassing. (The white dude version of melisma?) The lyrics-- the usual mix of drug references, conspiracy theories, tortured declarations of vague emotional trauma, and general doom-mongering-- won't do much to convince non-believers. And with most songs stretching from the seven- to 12-minute range-- and without the stop-start whiplash that was the previous albums' definition of rhythm-- it's unlikely that most listeners will possess the patience or fortitude to make the pilgrimage more than a couple of times.

10,000 Days is supposedly named for the amount of time between Keenan's mother becoming paralyzed and when she died, so it's sort of a "Death Disco" for suburban teenage potheads. If only the music had one-tenth of the Public Image Limited song's power. Instead I find myself in the awkward position of trying to sell you on the merits of a deeply uncool band by telling you to go buy their last album instead. But hey, the next time you're sneering at someone in a Tool shirt, just remember how retarded you look walking down the street with the words "The Boy Least Likely To" or "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah" across your chest.

-Jess Harvell, May 2, 2006
Old 05-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #42
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 6
Re: REVIEW!!!!!!

yet again pitchfork misses the boat with review!!!
ok...with lateralus it was just an honest opinion, but this review just made me want to punch my computer screen! Ignorant fuck! (sorry I love indie music but I have beef with pitchfork and this just tops it off!)

Tool
10,000 Days
[Volcano; 2006]

Like a mall-friendly King Crimson, Lateralus had a starless and bible black sound that actually rocked rather than wittering on, converting complex, mathematic passages into visceral rock. Also like King Crimson, the lyrics were mostly garbage, but goddamn did that rhythm section pummel the shit out of its instruments. As with the Mars Volta's debut, the drums were the lead voice on Lateralus, and Danny Carey was his instrument's Minnie Ripperton.

Five years later, Tool return with 10,000 Days. But rather than delving further into experimentation or exploring their strengths, Tool have made an...A Perfect Circle record. Like singer Maynard James Keenan's side project, 10,000 Days is considerably less punishing and much more ethereal. Songs like "Lost Keys" and "Vigniti Tires" are dark ambient soundscrapes that just make you wonder where the drums went. And when they are there, they're decidedly less brutal than on Lateralus. On "Right in Two" they sound more like bongos. The title track features sitar and tabla. Listening to this album, you get the sinking feeling that Tool have made an art-rock, rather than art-metal, album. And yes, the difference is considerable.

Keenan's vocals are no less powerful here, but your appreciation of his style still depends largely on your feelings towards quasi-operatic hard rock (you know, like emo, except they actually hit the notes they're going for). People who enjoy voices that sound like they're singing into their overcoats to ward off a night chill will probably find it embarrassing. (The white dude version of melisma?) The lyrics-- the usual mix of drug references, conspiracy theories, tortured declarations of vague emotional trauma, and general doom-mongering-- won't do much to convince non-believers. And with most songs stretching from the seven- to 12-minute range-- and without the stop-start whiplash that was the previous albums' definition of rhythm-- it's unlikely that most listeners will possess the patience or fortitude to make the pilgrimage more than a couple of times.

10,000 Days is supposedly named for the amount of time between Keenan's mother becoming paralyzed and when she died, so it's sort of a "Death Disco" for suburban teenage potheads. If only the music had one-tenth of the Public Image Limited song's power. Instead I find myself in the awkward position of trying to sell you on the merits of a deeply uncool band by telling you to go buy their last album instead. But hey, the next time you're sneering at someone in a Tool shirt, just remember how retarded you look walking down the street with the words "The Boy Least Likely To" or "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah" across your chest.

-Jess Harvell, May 2, 2006
OFFLINE |  
Snakedragon
05-09-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *33222*
nü-metal
thats where it lost credibility
Old 05-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #43
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
nü-metal
thats where it lost credibility
OFFLINE |  
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
05-09-2006, 11:10 AM

yeah pitchfork is retarded
this was posted a while ago
radiohead of nu metal
what an arse
Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #44
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

yeah pitchfork is retarded
this was posted a while ago
radiohead of nu metal
what an arse
05-09-2006, 11:12 AM

i'll say it again pitchfork is a bunch of closeminded assholes who only like indie music or music with indie upbringings
Old 05-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

i'll say it again pitchfork is a bunch of closeminded assholes who only like indie music or music with indie upbringings
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-09-2006, 11:15 AM

...radiohead of numetal?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #46
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

...radiohead of numetal?
OFFLINE |  
Snakedragon
05-09-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Five years later, Tool return with 10,000 Days. But rather than delving further into experimentation or exploring their strengths, Tool have made an...A Perfect Circle record.

what a moron!

since when did half the tracks on TTD sound like any APC?!

rosetta stoned for a start, jambi, lost keys, vicarious, wings, NOTHING HERE SOUNDS LIKE APC YOU MORON REVIEWER!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #47

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

Five years later, Tool return with 10,000 Days. But rather than delving further into experimentation or exploring their strengths, Tool have made an...A Perfect Circle record.

what a moron!

since when did half the tracks on TTD sound like any APC?!

rosetta stoned for a start, jambi, lost keys, vicarious, wings, NOTHING HERE SOUNDS LIKE APC YOU MORON REVIEWER!
OFFLINE |  
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-09-2006, 11:18 AM

all of sudden if tool plays something with more melody and slower parts they are instantly compared with apc. it's rediculous
Old 05-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #48
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

all of sudden if tool plays something with more melody and slower parts they are instantly compared with apc. it's rediculous
mulhollanddriven
05-09-2006, 11:44 AM

Death Disco? A song about the death of his mother...how did this guy get "death disco?" That doesn't even make sense...

Right in Two sounds like bongos? Huh...?

Tool is nu metal? Wha? News to me...I don't recall them hanging their guitars down to their feet and telling their audience to "jump da fuck up"...does anybody else remember this?

How much you wanna bet this reviewer takes whatever limey garbage that NME is pimping as gospel? This guy probably has the man juice of bands like Jet and The Strokes dripping down his chin....ugh...what a terrible review.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #49

Bincount™: 1

Death Disco? A song about the death of his mother...how did this guy get "death disco?" That doesn't even make sense...

Right in Two sounds like bongos? Huh...?

Tool is nu metal? Wha? News to me...I don't recall them hanging their guitars down to their feet and telling their audience to "jump da fuck up"...does anybody else remember this?

How much you wanna bet this reviewer takes whatever limey garbage that NME is pimping as gospel? This guy probably has the man juice of bands like Jet and The Strokes dripping down his chin....ugh...what a terrible review.
OFFLINE |  
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM

This has been posted AND Pitchfork are ripping off the NME with their stupid 'Radiohead of nu-metal' quote. If Tool are the Radiohead of nu-metal, what are Radiohead the Radiohead of? Think about it.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #50
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

This has been posted AND Pitchfork are ripping off the NME with their stupid 'Radiohead of nu-metal' quote. If Tool are the Radiohead of nu-metal, what are Radiohead the Radiohead of? Think about it.
OFFLINE |  
Merkabaster
06-19-2006, 07:37 PM

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...ool_10000_Days

This is one of the most biased, unreasonable reviews I've ever read in my life. The author includes no e-mail to reach him at, most likely because he knows he would be flogged. With stupid statements like, "A Perfect Circle Record," I can't help but wonder what the hell he was on. He claims that Tool is an "uncool" band for teenage potheads.
I realize a lot of Tool fans aren't happy with the new album, that's fine, but he puts out plenty of unreasonable insults at the band in general, and their fans. I'm just interested to see what you fellow uncool teenage potheads think about this.

Peace. (oh damn, I must be a hippy...blame Tool.)
Old 06-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
A Ridiculous Review of 10k Days.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...ool_10000_Days

This is one of the most biased, unreasonable reviews I've ever read in my life. The author includes no e-mail to reach him at, most likely because he knows he would be flogged. With stupid statements like, "A Perfect Circle Record," I can't help but wonder what the hell he was on. He claims that Tool is an "uncool" band for teenage potheads.
I realize a lot of Tool fans aren't happy with the new album, that's fine, but he puts out plenty of unreasonable insults at the band in general, and their fans. I'm just interested to see what you fellow uncool teenage potheads think about this.

Peace. (oh damn, I must be a hippy...blame Tool.)
OFFLINE |  
dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
06-19-2006, 07:50 PM

so old

lol
Old 06-19-2006, 07:50 PM   #52
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627
Re: A Ridiculous Review of 10k Days.

so old

lol
06-19-2006, 07:50 PM

Read the Lateralus review for Christ's sake,.

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
Old 06-19-2006, 07:50 PM   #53
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5127

Read the Lateralus review for Christ's sake,.

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
OFFLINE |  
Merkabaster
06-19-2006, 08:48 PM

lol, I know it's old...the bastard wrote it the day the CD came out. I just now stumbled across it. Don't remember how even..
Old 06-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

lol, I know it's old...the bastard wrote it the day the CD came out. I just now stumbled across it. Don't remember how even..
OFFLINE |  
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
06-19-2006, 08:59 PM

he means old on tdn, its been posted like 4 times. do a search for pitchfork
Old 06-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #55
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

he means old on tdn, its been posted like 4 times. do a search for pitchfork
OFFLINE |  
leftfootblue's Avatar leftfootblue
06-19-2006, 09:26 PM

read the something awful review.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #56
farealzio (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 329

read the something awful review.
06-19-2006, 09:28 PM

a little off topic here

but as much as i disliked the new breed Tool fans that became fanboys because of lateralus... i am really not looking forward to interacting with the fanboys who took the leap with 10,000 days

oh and that review sucks

Last edited by praefector; 06-19-2006 at 09:38 PM..
Old 06-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #57
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

a little off topic here

but as much as i disliked the new breed Tool fans that became fanboys because of lateralus... i am really not looking forward to interacting with the fanboys who took the leap with 10,000 days

oh and that review sucks

Last edited by praefector; 06-19-2006 at 09:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply