opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Old 12-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #561
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Tour complaints -- brokers, scalping, etc. (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notregistered View Post
he's not sick. you'll know when he's sick. the gas mask is a not-so-subtle way of him saying he doesn't like people smoking at his shows. he's been complaining about it for years and years so it's not his age or whatever. I guess people in europe tend to smoke a lot more than in america.
well, I saw them yesterday night, and I didn't see anyone smoking (or taking pics), the air was as clean as possible, but maynard didn't remove his mask, not even once, not even at the very end. and he wasn't facing the audience 90% of the time, and was looking at the ground when he was playing keyboard. they didn't even play Ænema, which is the final song of every show for this tour... what's wrong with him? seems like he doesn't want to perform. it tarnished the show a lot :(
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #562
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

I guess this would be the place to voice a tour complaint - though I am not really complaining. But it seems like everything I am reading about Tool shows goes into two categories. They are from: #1 People who worship Tool and would say that the shit stain in their underwear is gold, or #2 People who remember Tool from the past and are disappointed when they compare the present day Tool.

I know that Tool is charging $45 for a t-shirt and $90 for a hooded sweatshirt at concerts. LOL. There is no justification for that. It is just bold-faced price gouging so they can make a big profit. These guys really are at the end of their career, so it seems likely that they would be trying to make as much money from Tool as possible before they retire from Tool.

Another thing that seems like the end of Tool is how their shows are like clockwork. It is like they are manufacturing a product now instead of performing - at least that is how it seems from reading reviews (i.e. Maynard hides in the back still and hurries off the stage when the show ends). It is like the band has better things to do now instead of perform Tool music. Why do it at all?

So I guess I will be happy just to be able to see them again when they tour in 2007. Who knows if they will ever tour again? I will approach it that way with low expectations. I won't even begin to compare their 2007 show to past shows. I will just be happy to hear them live. And I won't buy a single thing from the show or take offense to the prices. They are simply getting the most out of Tool before retirement.

Last edited by flipmojo; 01-31-2007 at 10:23 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #563
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmojo
I know that Tool is charging $45 for a t-shirt and $90 for a hooded sweatshirt at concerts. LOL. There is no justification for that. It is just bold-faced price gouging so they can make a big profit
just dont buy it. buy it @ hot topic, or online, imo.

Quote:
They are simply getting the most out of Tool before retirement.
i totally agree with this statement.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #564
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah. It's cool. I'm just going to take it easy, and try to enjoy seeing them live again before they retire.
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #565
Level 2 - Poster

They are doing Mississippi and skipping LA and going straight to Texas. Someone kill me, please.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #566
Banned.

*headshot*
Old 02-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #567
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

boooo hooooo
Old 02-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #568
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3796

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVindicatedOne View Post
They are doing Mississippi and skipping LA and going straight to Texas. Someone kill me, please.
Actually it looks like they'll be stopping at Baton Rouge: http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/720703

On a Saturday no less.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 AM   #569
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVindicatedOne View Post
This whole run for 10,000 Days has been disappointing at best! From the actual Setlist, Stage, Cities played. It has been so half assed thrown together! The Laterlaus Tour was way better. Tool is getting worse as they get older. I mean think about the tours for Undertow and Aenima and think of what is going on now. Boys and Girls everyone run out and get another ticket Tool is doing Swamp Song this time, OOH, OOH! Big Deal and tell that POSER MAYNARD he is NOT R.Deniro and put that stupid Travis Bickle wanna be outfit away. Please start playing real cities instead of ghettos like Southhaven, Mississippi. DISAPPOINTING!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #570
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfood View Post
This whole run for 10,000 Days has been disappointing at best! From the actual Setlist, Stage, Cities played. It has been so half assed thrown together! The Laterlaus Tour was way better. Tool is getting worse as they get older. I mean think about the tours for Undertow and Aenima and think of what is going on now. Boys and Girls everyone run out and get another ticket Tool is doing Swamp Song this time, OOH, OOH! Big Deal and tell that POSER MAYNARD he is NOT R.Deniro and put that stupid Travis Bickle wanna be outfit away. Please start playing real cities instead of ghettos like Southhaven, Mississippi. DISAPPOINTING!
Dude I hear ya on a lot of that. It sounds like you're not too much of a Tool fan anymore and that happens. I saw them not too long ago and I thought they played excellently though. I'll be going to that ghetto town Southaven to watch that show. I know the nation seems to think places like Arkansas are populated with nothing but stupid fundamentalist rednecks. Truth be told there are tons of people who would love to see them, but they will never have the chance strictly because of the population density where they live. Also you should know that this town is "spittin' distence" from Memphis where any band can draw huge crowds.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #571
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Their recent shows have been nothing short of magic. Those if you that are telling yourself otherwise, sorry but I don't get it.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 AM   #572
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I caught the band in Melbourne a fortnight ago, first time I've ever seen them, and my complaints are:

1) I couldn't see shit from GA. When you pay to see a band, is it too much to expect that you actually see the band? The Sidney Myer Music bowl was a poor choice of venue (at least for the majority of us on the hill).

2) The 'Nard didn't seem to have his heart in it. Maybe he was sick or something, but he just wasn't reaching for all of those high notes and such.

3) My main complaint though would have to be the fact that my ears haven't stopped ringing since the show. $100 to not see the band and get perminant ear damage!? Fuck.

/spleen vented
Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #573
Level 3 - Talker

I saw them twice, once on the small venue May 15th, and then again with the arena tour Oct. 7th. Both shows were great. I was lucky enough to be in the third row at Fox Theatre in Detroit (Which by the way is one of the most gorgeous buildings I've seen) and then the sixth row in NYC. I am incredibly grateful for both experiences.

However... I have to admit that these shows just do not hold the power of previous tours. They're still amazing, and the band plays tighter instrumentally than ever. But these days, the shows really feel like someone above me wrote, in that they're packaged products. The mystery of the band seems gone, replaced instead with laser light shows. The setlists are like greatest hits albums, and haven't really changed in what's going on a year of touring now. You see people on here flipping out over getting a rare Swamp Song thrown in... come on... compare that to getting hit with Salival Pushit. Being a huge Maynard fan, it pains me to even write this... I think his decline has something to do with it. He just cannot sing like he used to, maybe because of age, or maybe because he just doesn't care enough anymore. Anybody who bashes me for saying that simply didn't see them ten years ago and then now. So basically, the Nard isn't the becon of perfection that he once was, and the setlists have been weak at best, and the powerful energy and mystery seems to be replaced by a laid back "rock show" atmosphere (I realize that probably sounded odd, but I can't put into words what I'm talking about)

Now, to be rational... I've thought about Maynard yelling Good Byyyyeeee in Eulogy at a show now and realized something: These guys are in their 40's, and if they were still being pissed off and yelling angry lyrics it'd show a lack of progression, not to mention look completely ridiculous. They have progressed to a new age of music, like a great band should. So conclusively, I guess I've accepted that the old days are over, and will enjoy Tool for what they are now. They've made it big, they're entitled to do whatever the hell they want.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #574
Level 4 - Thinker

Now, to be rational... I've thought about Maynard yelling Good Byyyyeeee in Eulogy at a show now and realized something: These guys are in their 40's, and if they were still being pissed off and yelling angry lyrics it'd show a lack of progression, not to mention look completely ridiculous. They have progressed to a new age of music, like a great band should. So conclusively, I guess I've accepted that the old days are over, and will enjoy Tool for what they are now. They've made it big, they're entitled to do whatever the hell they want.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you on this. Bands that continue the same path for the entire extent of their careers (cough, Linkin Park & AC/DC) don't seem to develop very good music. The members of TOOL are all older than they were when they first started out. This is probably one of the reasons that Rage Against the Machine WON'T ever be the same. Coachella will be completely intense, but I don't think the intensity that existed 7 years ago is still there. George Bush is STILL our President...which would piss anyone off for 7 consecutive years...but bands have to adapt and change. They shouldn't do a complete 180, but change is necessary for survival. (Darwin's Theory of Evolution)
Old 02-16-2007, 06:09 PM   #575
Level 3 - Talker

Ha... the Linkin Park comment made me think of a live bootleg I have of The Patient where some dumb f*@k is whining in the background about Tool needing to play heavier stuff and that Linkin Park would "own" them. If any of you have seen this video, I'm sure you're with me in hoping that guy dies... soon. One of my favorite songs, yet it eluded me the entire Lateralus Tour, and then they played it again for the small venue run last May but I missed it by two shows... got Right in Two instead though, which was totally amazing live.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #576
Level 4 - Thinker

Guys don't make it sad. Make it even. We did it for the Seattle show. We paid $1k for two mid section seats that were great. On Wednesday after the show we called our Visa company and charged them back. Went out and bought 10k days album with it. :)
In this Tool earned their money for show, then earned our respect for the album, and the scalper ended up with -$1k + the chargeback fees.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #577
Level 4 - Thinker

Reading the posts here about the band that is not the same, I tend to agree that it is not the 90s tool with Lateralus tour, or Aenima at that. But it is still something we will never get with the current bands that are out there. Tool is the leader for people who look past the pop.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #578
Banned.

;)
Old 02-18-2007, 02:47 AM   #579
Level 8 - Vociferous

I saw Maynard in 1994, and he was on some serious drugs. No joke. It was an intensity that stops you in your tracks. But it was terribly unhealthy. Aenima brought forth a more animated Maynard - more dancing and body painting. That was a cool era. The shows were strong. Lateralus was like TOOL transcending everything imaginable. The last show I saw was from the last Lateralus tour in 2002. It was EPIC!!!! But it also showed the first signs of Maynards withdrawal from the audience.

I know everyone always talks about how "the music matters most", and that's true. But a concert is more than just music. It's LIVE!! So you really hope to see the band PERFORMING the music - not just playing it.

I haven't seen Tool on a 10,000 Days tour yet. This US tour will be my first chances. I know they are older, but that isn't an excuse to stop performing the songs. You don't have to digress to play old material. You can perform it with passion from the current day. I hope they do just that.
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #580

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukoh View Post
Guys don't make it sad. Make it even. We did it for the Seattle show. We paid $1k for two mid section seats that were great. On Wednesday after the show we called our Visa company and charged them back. Went out and bought 10k days album with it. :)
In this Tool earned their money for show, then earned our respect for the album, and the scalper ended up with -$1k + the chargeback fees.
If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to charge them back? Sounds like a good idea.
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
Old 02-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #581
Level 3 - Talker

Dito... I also spent a grand when I went to Fox Theatre... your idea sounds good, but also unrealistic. How is that possible?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #582
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sven View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to charge them back? Sounds like a good idea.
Sven having been a fan of tool since '92 and seeing as tickets base was $60-$80 and being online at 9:55 clicking ticket master repeatedly to see tickets mainly go to brokers. Trying to get them through paper, prices were the same. So I bought them online from some ticket brokerage place, had them Fedexed to me overnight, paid by Visa card of course. Went to see the band in their best. Called up the next day to my Visa company, and they gladly agreed to give me back the $1000.00 for some ticket brockerage place which I had never ever used. So I.e. brokerage paid whatever to get the tix, and lost $1k on f'ing with fans of the band.
All you have to do is adimately deny to your credit card company that you have no idea who TICKET BROKER is, and you never ordered tickets, and have no recollection of TICKET BROKER, and you think this is Fraud.

The trick is if the Fedex,UPS guy in your neighborhood knows you and drops the envelops usually on your doorstep without you signing, there is no proof that you got the ticket. I.E. you never odered then or got them by Visa standards. I deal with this in banking all the time so I know.

Thats that. :) Hope it helps.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:50 AM   #583
Level 1 - Lurker

You got to see a show for free, and you're bragging about committing fraud. You suck.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
You got to see a show for free, and you're bragging about committing fraud. You suck.
In my opinion what he did was pretty great. Yeah, it's fraud, but it's also illegal to sell tickets for higher than face value, isn't it? That doesn't exactly justify it, but any type of retribution on scalpers is good retribution!
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #585

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll I'd probably brag about it as well *shrugs*
Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #586
Level 4 - Thinker

You say fraud? This was a good way to get back at the scalpers who don't even know what this band is about and couldn't name one song. I am fairly well educated in the above 90th percentile earners. Its not the money, its the point.

And Crim, here is who won, Tool got paid, I bought their album, the scalper lost $1k. Do you really feel that bad?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #587
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukoh View Post
You say fraud? This was a good way to get back at the scalpers who don't even know what this band is about and couldn't name one song. I am fairly well educated in the above 90th percentile earners. Its not the money, its the point.

And Crim, here is who won, Tool got paid, I bought their album, the scalper lost $1k. Do you really feel that bad?

nice job! If I had balls like you I would probably try that as well.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #588
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Complaint: You stupidly paid $60 to see Tool live when you could see Hella and Acid Mothers Temple for $20 COMBINED and have a far better musical experience.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #589
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Not sure where else to put this, but does anyone know how exactly to 'exchange' my current (obsolete since danny broke his hand) tour ticket for a new updated one? Do i have to contact ticketmaster or will this one just simply work at the door?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #590
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
Not sure where else to put this, but does anyone know how exactly to 'exchange' my current (obsolete since danny broke his hand) tour ticket for a new updated one? Do i have to contact ticketmaster or will this one just simply work at the door?
hey theres a few posts on the general tour info opinion page. Basically TicketMaster say all tickets WILL be honored.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #591
Level 1 - Lurker

maynard's too busing making wine to give a fuck if scalpers are screwing us...props to the chargeback on the scalpers dime...fuck em.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #592
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion View Post
Complaint: You stupidly paid $60 to see Tool live when you could see Hella and Acid Mothers Temple for $20 COMBINED and have a far better musical experience.
How can a guy with this many damn posts say this about Tool??
Old 03-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #593
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Handles View Post
nice job! If I had balls like you I would probably try that as well.
Carny its not about balls. Its about Visa Policy. If you do not recognize a charge on your account, then you are entitled to get your money back. I didn't recognize some TicketOverchargingAsshole on my statement. LOL
Old 03-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #594
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMan81 View Post
members of TOOL are all older than they were when they first started out.
Heheh...
Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #595

Speaking of which, has anyone even tried that hootch? Where can I get some? Might be great for chugging in the parking lot of the rodeo arena in Albuquerque out of a paper bag. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by novhawk View Post
maynard's too busing making wine to give a fuck if scalpers are screwing us...props to the chargeback on the scalpers dime...fuck em.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #596
Level 3 - Talker

I don't have a problem with ticket brokers, and think they provide a great service for those that really want to see a concert, sporting event, or anything else. You'll have to pay a lot, but if it's worth it to you then use them. I had the opportunity to see quite a few big sporting events because of a broker.

And it's not like these people are making huge amounts of money. For every Dave Matthews concert or Super Bowl, they hold tickets to twenty events that are completely worthless. They have a lot of costs associated with their business.

As for brokers buying up all the tickets? Well, I think that's a fallacy. If you take a regular Tool show in an arena with a capacity of 15K, I would bet that brokers hold less than 300 tickets total. That's a small percentage, and doesn't really effect your chances of scoring good seats.

I do have a problem with individuals buying tickets to only turn around and sell them on Ebay. At least a broker is an actual business that must cater to clients and customers. They have something to lose.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #597
Level 4 - Thinker

Undertowing, obviously we have a different opinion.
I know it for a fact from a friend that brokers have a whole lot of pulls inside the little monopoly called ticketmaster, and get tickets that a regular person would not be able to get. I know 11 people who were at 8:59 am banging ticket master site to get tickets. And 9:00 am came around and there were NO tickets.
For a 15k arena to sell out considering the purchase was limited to people in that area only is a bit puzzling. Not a single ticket was left.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #598

A bit more about how it all works,
Ticketmaster Sues eBay,
StubHub Over Sales
By ETHAN SMITH
April 19, 2007; Page B5

Intensifying its long-simmering battle with the burgeoning aftermarket in concert and sporting-events tickets, Ticketmaster yesterday sued eBay Inc. and
its StubHub subsidiary, alleging that the reselling site interfered with the company's contractual rights.

The suit came days after IAC/InterActiveCorp's Ticketmaster filed federal lawsuits against three ticket-broker operations and a Web site that rents software
to them.

While the StubHub lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, focuses on a particular music tour, it signals Ticketmaster's growing impatience
with the so-called secondary ticketing market that has blossomed in recent years as the Internet has made it easy for individuals and companies alike to
buy and resell tickets originally generated by Ticketmaster.

The suit alleges that StubHub is currently selling "official premium tickets" to the coming Lynyrd Skynyrd/Hank Williams Jr. "Rowdy Frynds" tour. Sales
of those tickets to the public, the lawsuit charges, violates Ticketmaster's exclusive right to sell tickets to events at the venues on the tour, including
the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis and the Palace of Auburn Hills, Mich.

The suit further charges that StubHub, in conjunction with other, unnamed parties, effectively extracted tickets from various client venues by threatening
that if tickets weren't made available, those venues "might not be considered as venues for future live-entertainment events."

The suit didn't specify how many tickets were involved. But it does allege that such practices were designed "as part of a larger scheme to diminish Ticketmaster's
role in the sale of tickets." Ticketmaster controls the ticket inventory to the vast majority of high-profile concerts and sporting events. Its surcharges
have long been the subject of anger on the part of fans.

Ticketmaster's top price for the Rowdy Frynds tour is $70; on StubHub, 11 "official" tickets for the May 5 stop in Charleston, W.Va., were selling for $250
apiece. Ticketmaster is seeking all of StubHub's revenue from the Frynds tour, plus punitive damages and a permanent injunction preventing the rival from
future business practices that it says violate its contractual rights.

A representative for Lynyrd Skynyrd couldn't be reached. A spokesman for StubHub said it would be "premature" for the company to comment because it hadn't
seen the documents.

In one of the lawsuits filed earlier this week, Ticketmaster alleged that a software firm makes available to brokers digital tools designed to evade Ticketmaster.
Among those tools are "bots," which can rapidly send millions of digital requests for tickets from a single computer in the same time that a human user
can make only a few.

Ticketmaster executives estimate that around 10% of the most desirable sports and concert tickets are bought by scalpers rather than fans.

Interesting.
9/24/01, 8/13/02, 8/15/02, 8/21/02, 10/24/02, 10/29/02, 5/4/06, 8/6/06, 8/27/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 4/27/07, 4/28/07, 4/30/07, 12/7/07, 12/11/07, 7/12/10, 7/13/10, 1/14/12, 3/9/14, 3/11/14, 3/14/14, 10/31/15, 1/6/16, 1/7/16, 6/21/17, 6/23/17, 11/16/19, 11/18/19, 11/19/19, 1/14/20, 1/15/20, 1/17/20, 1/10/22, 10/17/23, 10/19/23, 10/20/23, 2/9/24, 2/10/24, 2/12/24, 2/14/24, 2/15/24
Old 04-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #599
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyisevil View Post
So whats the deal with brokers already selling tickets for shows that havent gone on sale yet?

http://www.ticketliquidator.com/tix/...x?evtid=383078

This broker is selling approx. 40-50 tickets (good seats too) to a show that hasnt gone on sale yet!!! Whats up with that?
fuck em maybe the best thing tool could do is keep going.....yeah, keep going. I bet you ten bucks that if Danny came out playing one handed, people would throw large amounts of cash at them on stage. Including that, Danny would still kick ass.......so don't worry.......but nice looking out for the band man. Hasta
Old 04-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #600
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorichmon View Post
fuck em maybe the best thing tool could do is keep going.....yeah, keep going. I bet you ten bucks that if Danny came out playing one handed, people would throw large amounts of cash at them on stage. Including that, Danny would still kick ass.......so don't worry.......but nice looking out for the band man. Hasta
They are selling tickets that haven't even gone on sale yet because they know they will get them.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: