opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » Artwork
User Name
Password
Old 12-18-2002, 09:17 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
writing in negative spaces

if you look at the page in the insert that has all the typed info on it, look closely. Don't really focus on the letters, and hold it diagonally a little, turning it to the right. Look at the spaces between the words. There appears to be some kind of writing that the spaces actually form, although I have never been able to figure out what it said. Maybe because I didn't try to think numbers, but I was looking for letters.
If no one knows what the hell I am saying maybe I could explain it better.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:30 AM   #2
Banned.

also, in the title track, you will notice that the one time Maynard says "try and read between the lines" his vocals are a little louder and stand apart from the rest of the vocals on that song. hmmmmmm......?? the lines of life, sure, but also the lines on the page I am referring to? we know they love multiple meanings.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
do the dots have anything to do with the "writing" in between the lines? and also could you explain how to see the "writing" one more time with a little more detail?
Old 01-07-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
Banned.

imagine a white paper. and the black pen makes letters on it. same with the booklet. imagine the words as forming a white piece of paper. I know the background is black, that's why I called it writing in negative spaces. the way the white words are printed, the spaces in between the words form some shapes if you look at it from a higher perspective, or a larger scale. turn it diagonally 45 degrees to the right. you should see formations of shapes that the spaces in between the letters form. i dont know how else to explain it. you arent looking for as many words as are printed in white, just a couple of lines of shapes that are much bigger in size than the printed letters. imagine your negative writing pen makes the shapes by using the spaces in between the printed letters.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
Artistic God

Bincount™: 41
yeah i see what you are talking about. it looks like its cursive writing, in my opinion anyways. It looks like it will be a bitch to figure out what it says though, maybe if you trace an outline of where the letters are possibly, you might be able to catch it. If not i dont think you'll ever get it.

Last edited by nwimnthng0; 01-12-2003 at 01:58 PM..
Old 01-21-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Cripes...I'd have to look at mine now. That sounds pretty interesting, but I doubt it's anything significant.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Damn

YALL SMOKIN TOO MUCH WEED!!!! Naw im kiddin, now i gots to look at my aenima cd cover. a whole freakin hour till lunch though, damn the wait. I think that Aenima is my favorite "trip out on some shit" Tool CD. and i always thought that was a guy blowing himself, the female contortionist thing explains why Maynard is playing with himself, or is it Maynard i aint look at it in like awhile. someone gets decked behind the head though......
Old 01-30-2003, 12:21 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Is it?

the page you speak of it is the one opposite the BILL HICKS and what looks to be Maynard peeeeer flippin hard huh. i kinda think that if you put it at a furthur distance from normal arm-length you get a picture of something. check it out, am i trippin? it kinda looks like those pictures you look at it and look at it and it finally comes into focus. i think... man that Maynard really gets into his third eye.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17
ok.. i got curious and looked..you need to turn it 90 degrees to the right, not 45. so you're looking at the lines of the text going vertical. there is a possibility something is there, notice the extra space on the page, how it's bunched up on that side? and the awkward spacing? it isn't like that on the page with the non-useful crap (as in, not useful to let you know who's who..of course it's useful)... so i took a pic and started doing some things to it to contrast the space vs. the words more, and i'm getting somewhere. if i do find anything i'll post a pic..or if you all want a pic of how far i am now, i'll post it.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:06 PM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17
ok here we go.. i animated a word i found. may just be coincidence...but yah. it says insight..as far as i can tell. the only word i've been able to make out. (kind of makes sense, too....)

http://www.morphedmedia.com/tdn/view...d=040243PM.gif
Old 02-01-2003, 08:39 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

?

I probably sound like a moron, but I can't figure the word out. "Reight"?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:53 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

!

Insight! Kind of hard to make out at first.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:15 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

it says O R A C L E
Old 05-07-2003, 08:59 AM   #14
Banned.

Also, in the song Aenema, the vocals have a certain distinct shift when he sings "Try and read between the lines." When he says Read, its like a wind in his voice for an instant. check it out...
Old 05-07-2003, 09:27 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

You are talking about the American version of the CD, right?
Because my (european version) is completly different...
Tough luck..
Old 05-07-2003, 09:31 AM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

in my opinion when Maynard sings "try and read between the lines" the word >read< is sang with some kind of echo or flanger i think..
Old 05-07-2003, 10:13 PM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 92
I don't hear much of anything. If so, I assume its just Maynard's abillity to sort of make his voice 'tremble' while singing. That's not a very good word for it, but its the best I can think of. He does it a lot live, especially at the end of loud screams.
I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Andy DV?"
Old 05-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #18
Banned.

Really if you listen you can hear the difference in the word "read" that sets it apart from the rest of the section. What are you talking about the European version? Do you not get the long written page about elective surgery?

safety select patience....
Old 05-09-2003, 09:24 AM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

I don't know if it is "european" version but i bought it in Europe and i don't have the long written page about elective surgery...And for example Hicks picture in my version is different (just his head and shoulders)...Dunno why than...
Old 05-29-2003, 03:25 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24
I'm european, got both versions, but bought the american/australian one in america. It's a big difference actually. The australian/ american one is a lot cooler, though it doesn't have the "math riddle" in it. Hehe...that was so freaking funny when people figured that one out!

Anyway. Isn't this kinda overanalyzing? In my opinon there's nothing wrong with overanalyzing (atleast not if it's done this way. It can have very negative effects, especially if you're overanalyzing a relationship finding weird reasons for everything). But i think overanalyzing like this is cool. Really though...don't you think if you tried hard enough you could find a word in here if you tried hard enough?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: