opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 03. H.
User Name
Password
Old 08-01-2004, 01:21 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 595
my theory of vice and struggle

the first part "whats comeing through is alive" i think he's stateing that there is something there, no doubt about it, "whats holding up is a mirror", i think this is something along the lines of a drug, like whats running strong is a mirror(used to crush/cut drugs on), whether he is refering to drugs im unsure but a codename for herion is H but it could be a metaphore within a metaphore, "whats singing songs is a snake but hes looking to turn the piss to wine", i think that is refering to maybe a jesus type figure, maybe himself, maybe an inner battle, like "whats drawing attention is a coward, but he's looking to turn nuthing into something" and the next part "there both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same", i think refers to nuthing being able to affect him as far as getting a response from this figure on the outside, but killing him just the same on the in, "the snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been" he relizes the potential of what could happen, "my blood before me begs me open up my heart again" maybe himself relizing who he is is wanting him to take a second look " and i feel this coming over like a storm again now, consideratly", everythings building up inside, "venomous voice temtps me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty drags me down like some sweet gravity" maybe the drug or voice/being, becons him for more, and even though he wants to resist he cant "SWEET gravity", "the snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been, my blood before me begs me open up my heart again, and i feel this coming over like a storm again now consideratly" again, he relizes the potential of of who he is opposed to who he thinks he is, " i am to connected to you to slip away, fade away, days away i still feel you touching me changing me, and consideratly killing me" i think this part refers to the "drug" or what is affecting him, how it can still be there affecting him,"without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears, the walls came down" i think this is kinda the breaking point, the point when nuthing can affect you anymore and where nuthing is real to you, "and as the snake is drowned, and as i look in his eyes, my fear begins to fade, recalling all of those times, i could have cried then, i should have cried then" he's reached the point where nuthing can affect him anymore, so he has nuthing to struggle with because he's passed that experience, maybe suicide, as hes passed that life, "should have cried then" and in the next part he explains " i have died and will die its alright i dont mind", which maybe hes talking about a mental figure, he has died mentaly already so nuthing can affect him, therefore he no longer minds a seperation from the physical world/reality, in short i think this song is maybe a struggle with drugs, or love, or an inner demon, a vice, it could really be about alot of things, but i believe its about 1 thing that has torn into him deeply, and 2 states of mind, of one being a sense of who he wants to be, and one being a sense of who he really is and what he's capable of doing is a single humanbeing, the great thing about maynard is much like nostradamus foreshadowing the future and being so vague about it that our minds can really place anything to nostradamus's predictions, anything that we really want to believe we can apply, nostradamus didnt come out and say this is whats happening, he left out key of detail, he left it so it was up to the otherside to decide what they where gonna make of his writings and how they where gonna apply them, much like maynard does with his writing, thats all of this writing, ha this is my first submission to this here site so give me some feedback of any alternations you can make outta this, later
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:47 AM   #2

Bincount™: 5
Re: my theory of vice and struggle

i havent finished reading it but i read somewhere else that H. (the title of the song) has nothing to do with heroin and it stands for half empty or possibly hydrogen. ill say my deeper thoughts once iv read it all

EDIT: ok iv read it all. it sounds pretty well thought out but apparently it is definitely not about drugs but if that cae from the band then it could be a lie...you can never tell with tool.

Last edited by forth eye; 08-08-2004 at 06:50 AM..
Old 08-08-2004, 06:50 AM   #3

Location: in a shed in my parents backyard, man i hate it when it rains
Bincount™: 0

im almost certain the song is about his son and im pretty sure he's said that before. but the title at least may have something to do with heroin, however, he may simpley be comparing his relationship with his son as one of need/addiction like a drug such as heroin. i dont know that was just a thought i just had.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Ball
im almost certain the song is about his son and im pretty sure he's said that before. but the title at least may have something to do with heroin, however, he may simpley be comparing his relationship with his son as one of need/addiction like a drug such as heroin. i dont know that was just a thought i just had.
he also sed it is not about heroin
Old 08-08-2004, 06:51 AM   #5

but im sure i have heard that about his son before too from somewhere.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:53 AM   #6

considering that maynard is a father and often talks about his son and how being a father has changed him, id say definately this song is about Devo.

as for drugs, he's never even had a big drug problem and as only been to the line and turned back.....look at other songs about drugs he's done like Undertow...that was about an artist they knew who was most creative when smashed...it wasnt even about themselves....im not saying that they dont have quite a few songs about drugs and im not saying they dont have a whole album themed about it, but people try to connect almost every tool song to drugs.....
Old 08-08-2004, 07:01 AM   #7

but that's if u do what to connect the title or song to heroin........
Old 08-08-2004, 11:52 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Ok, read the songs lyrics:

And as the snake is drowned,
There is a look in his eyes,
My fear begins to fade,
Recalling all of the times,

I could have cried then,
It's alright, I don't mind

This song obviously about the mans son and his worries throughout the pregnacy and birth, but now the realisation hits him that everything's gong to be ok. Am I the only person who sees this?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: