LabRat404
09-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Playing for ~6 years
Current Guitar: $200 Ibanez Gio 7-string
I Hate: Fender Strats
Price Range: $300-$500
Strings: 6
Frets: 21 preferably.
Style's I'll be playing: In Flames, Tool, probably even old-school Metallica, softer things (ie: Mathbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls).

I'm wide open for suggestions.

/me goes to see what Adam plays

Last edited by LabRat404; 09-11-2006 at 12:46 PM..
Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
swept underneath my skin

Bincount™: 1097
New Guitar Suggestions

Playing for ~6 years
Current Guitar: $200 Ibanez Gio 7-string
I Hate: Fender Strats
Price Range: $300-$500
Strings: 6
Frets: 21 preferably.
Style's I'll be playing: In Flames, Tool, probably even old-school Metallica, softer things (ie: Mathbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls).

I'm wide open for suggestions.

/me goes to see what Adam plays

Last edited by LabRat404; 09-11-2006 at 12:46 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
vesica_piscis's Avatar vesica_piscis
09-12-2006, 07:42 PM

Epiphone Les Paul.... Best value.

Don't buy the PRS Ce models I reckon they're planks...
Old 09-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6
Re: New Guitar Suggestions

Epiphone Les Paul.... Best value.

Don't buy the PRS Ce models I reckon they're planks...
undeniable dilemma
09-13-2006, 03:15 AM

I would never be caught playing an Epiphone Les Paul. I would go for a Schecter. THey play well.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:15 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 34

I would never be caught playing an Epiphone Les Paul. I would go for a Schecter. THey play well.
LabRat404
09-13-2006, 05:41 AM

I registered at guitarists.net. Their suggestions:

schecter C-1
jacksons
PRS SE line
epi's
epiphone les paul
Ibanez

thread is here if anyone cares: http://www.guitarists.net/forum/view...2&thread=64231

edit: I've been leaning toward a Schecter C-1 -- though I've no idea what it costs.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #4
swept underneath my skin

schecter C-1
jacksons
PRS SE line
epi's
epiphone les paul
Ibanez

thread is here if anyone cares: http://www.guitarists.net/forum/view...2&thread=64231

edit: I've been leaning toward a Schecter C-1 -- though I've no idea what it costs.
secular glitch
09-13-2006, 06:19 AM

what guitar you want to play is all up to you. no matter how great something may be to one person, another may hate it. best advice: go to a music store and play. thats the only way you are going to find the best guitar for you.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
c-munky

Bincount™: 14206

what guitar you want to play is all up to you. no matter how great something may be to one person, another may hate it. best advice: go to a music store and play. thats the only way you are going to find the best guitar for you.
LabRat404
09-13-2006, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secular glitch View Post
I had considered just doing that.

thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
swept underneath my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by secular glitch View Post
I had considered just doing that.

thanks for the advice everyone!
smirk's Avatar smirk
09-13-2006, 08:31 AM

that suggestion is a good one

and try some Samicks if you can find 'em, great guitar for not a lot of money
Old 09-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
TDN Grandad

Bincount™: 472

that suggestion is a good one

and try some Samicks if you can find 'em, great guitar for not a lot of money
hereandthere's Avatar hereandthere
09-17-2006, 08:43 AM

FENDER STRAT

I doubt you'd hate them for long. I used to hate them.

But seriously, you have to play the guitars yourself to judge. Pick one that you play the best on, and fool around with the sounds they make through whatever amp you use (or plan to use), and mess around with the knobs. Your fingers will move easier over the fretboard of certain guitars than they will over others, thats just the way it is. I think you have to play them all, a lot.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1007

FENDER STRAT

But seriously, you have to play the guitars yourself to judge. Pick one that you play the best on, and fool around with the sounds they make through whatever amp you use (or plan to use), and mess around with the knobs. Your fingers will move easier over the fretboard of certain guitars than they will over others, thats just the way it is. I think you have to play them all, a lot.
09-17-2006, 08:49 AM

pawn shops FTW
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 09-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #9
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

pawn shops FTW
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Pharmaecopia_stinkfist's Avatar Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
10-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeniable dilemma View Post
What the hell is wrong with an epiphone les paul.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
What the hell is wrong with an epiphone les paul.
10-11-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereandthere View Post
FENDER STRAT

I agree...Strats fucking rule! I used to think they looked plain and uninspiring until I actually sat down and played one for a few hours. I've been hooked ever since. I have an American Deluxe that plays so smooth I can't imagine playing anything else. I've had a lot of different guitars from Gibson Les Paul's, Music Man's, Godin's, Ibanez's, Fender Telecasters, etc...nothing did it for me like my Strat!

:)
Old 10-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
got poopy? (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereandthere View Post
FENDER STRAT

I agree...Strats fucking rule! I used to think they looked plain and uninspiring until I actually sat down and played one for a few hours. I've been hooked ever since. I have an American Deluxe that plays so smooth I can't imagine playing anything else. I've had a lot of different guitars from Gibson Les Paul's, Music Man's, Godin's, Ibanez's, Fender Telecasters, etc...nothing did it for me like my Strat!

maxthruput's Avatar maxthruput
10-12-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Pudding View Post
www.rondomusic.net

this is where i got my new guitar. they have non-name brand guitars of equal quality to the name brands, and for much less. i don't think they have anything much higher than $500.
sorry but, a $99 strat copy is not of equal quality to an american made strat no matter what kind of dope you smoke.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
www.rondomusic.net

this is where i got my new guitar. they have non-name brand guitars of equal quality to the name brands, and for much less. i don't think they have anything much higher than $500.
sorry but, a $99 strat copy is not of equal quality to an american made strat no matter what kind of dope you smoke.

maxthruput's Avatar maxthruput
10-13-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
i was referring to the more expensive models. of course a guitar for $100 is going to be more for beginners. try looking past the first page, maybe?

Sorry, I can be a bit harsh at times... :)

Old 10-13-2006, 06:49 AM   #13

Quote:
i was referring to the more expensive models. of course a guitar for $100 is going to be more for beginners. try looking past the first page, maybe?

Sorry, I can be a bit harsh at times... :)

Sound_Advice's Avatar Sound_Advice
10-15-2006, 01:58 PM

I agree with the above statements for the most part. It really is up to you. You have to play around with multiple models and makes of guitars. In the end Jimmy Page plays a Les Paul and Jimi Hendrix plays a Fender Strat. With my experience, cheaper Mexican or Japanese versions of well-known guitars work really well, i.e. a Mexican Fender Strat, or just the lesser brand name of a model, i.e. an Epiphone Les Paul. But play around with all your options, and try to play it through your make of amp, or a similar make of amp, so you get the best idea of what it will do for you. Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 58

I agree with the above statements for the most part. It really is up to you. You have to play around with multiple models and makes of guitars. In the end Jimmy Page plays a Les Paul and Jimi Hendrix plays a Fender Strat. With my experience, cheaper Mexican or Japanese versions of well-known guitars work really well, i.e. a Mexican Fender Strat, or just the lesser brand name of a model, i.e. an Epiphone Les Paul. But play around with all your options, and try to play it through your make of amp, or a similar make of amp, so you get the best idea of what it will do for you. Hope this helps.
10-15-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Advice View Post

I agree with the Mex/Jap Fender models being excellent alternatives to their American counterparts. However, an Epi Les Paul is no substitute for the real thing...

Old 10-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #15

Quote:

I agree with the Mex/Jap Fender models being excellent alternatives to their American counterparts. However, an Epi Les Paul is no substitute for the real thing...

callousedeyes
10-15-2006, 09:16 PM

My advice:

Save up. There aren't a lot of great guitars available in your price range. The quality of the electric guitar really starts to go up once you reach $1000+. You will be a lot happier with your purchase if you save for a good guitar. Think of it as an investment, especially if you are serious about your playing and plan on doing it for the rest of your life.

Another thing - do your homework. Go to Guitar Centers and see if you can find the differences between Epiphones/Squires/Mex/Jap Fenders and their higher end cousins. If you really want to be a smart buyer, start taking into account the types of woods, bodies, bridges, etc that you are playing on. Once you start to know what works best for you, then you can make a better decision.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

My advice:

Save up. There aren't a lot of great guitars available in your price range. The quality of the electric guitar really starts to go up once you reach $1000+. You will be a lot happier with your purchase if you save for a good guitar. Think of it as an investment, especially if you are serious about your playing and plan on doing it for the rest of your life.

Another thing - do your homework. Go to Guitar Centers and see if you can find the differences between Epiphones/Squires/Mex/Jap Fenders and their higher end cousins. If you really want to be a smart buyer, start taking into account the types of woods, bodies, bridges, etc that you are playing on. Once you start to know what works best for you, then you can make a better decision.
10-15-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callousedeyes View Post
My advice:

True....for just under $1000 you can get a great guitar that will last a lifetime.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by callousedeyes View Post
My advice:

True....for just under $1000 you can get a great guitar that will last a lifetime.

10-15-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthruput View Post
Oh, of course it's no substitute. But I have no problem at all with an Epiphone Les Paul.... I think they play really well compared to other guitars in the price range. I have a Gibson Les Paul and my friend and bandmate has an Epiphone Les Paul and his plays really well. I mean if it came down to a Gibson or an Epiphone, it's not even a question that should be asked.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Oh, of course it's no substitute. But I have no problem at all with an Epiphone Les Paul.... I think they play really well compared to other guitars in the price range. I have a Gibson Les Paul and my friend and bandmate has an Epiphone Les Paul and his plays really well. I mean if it came down to a Gibson or an Epiphone, it's not even a question that should be asked.
10-16-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
True. I guess the same should be said for the tex/jap fenders....Ive had a few of those as well and they all have the same problem with the cheap ass electronics. I guess the moral here is: Save a little more and get an American made guitar...there is nothing sweeter.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #19

Quote:
True. I guess the same should be said for the tex/jap fenders....Ive had a few of those as well and they all have the same problem with the cheap ass electronics. I guess the moral here is: Save a little more and get an American made guitar...there is nothing sweeter.

10-16-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Actually, I originally had missed that he had been playing for 6 years, which would lead me to believe/hope that he was somewhat decent. In which case it would be 100% worth saving up for a nice guitar, but if he doesn't want to go that route, well then, who are we to say?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Actually, I originally had missed that he had been playing for 6 years, which would lead me to believe/hope that he was somewhat decent. In which case it would be 100% worth saving up for a nice guitar, but if he doesn't want to go that route, well then, who are we to say?
10-17-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:

You ever hear the saying that the quality of the guitar is inversely proportional to the ability of the player? Many PRS owners have to live with this....great guitar but, a bad player rep! lol...Not sure anyone really needs a $6,000 guitar with dragons on the fingerboard either...hehe. So yeah I agree, who the hell are we to say anything?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #21

Quote:

You ever hear the saying that the quality of the guitar is inversely proportional to the ability of the player? Many PRS owners have to live with this....great guitar but, a bad player rep! lol...Not sure anyone really needs a $6,000 guitar with dragons on the fingerboard either...hehe. So yeah I agree, who the hell are we to say anything?

Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
10-17-2006, 01:50 PM

Start writing your own songs and getting in tune with what 'that' sound is in your head. And then find the guitar that does it, and you have the guitar that's for you.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #22
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

Start writing your own songs and getting in tune with what 'that' sound is in your head. And then find the guitar that does it, and you have the guitar that's for you.
NewUser's Avatar NewUser
10-17-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I would go for a Schecter. THey play well.
Seconded. The lead guitarist in my band plays a Shecter Diamond through a Trace Eliot amp. He got to use a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier in the studio when we recorded our album. It sounds pretty sick.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
I would go for a Schecter. THey play well.
Seconded. The lead guitarist in my band plays a Shecter Diamond through a Trace Eliot amp. He got to use a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier in the studio when we recorded our album. It sounds pretty sick.
10-17-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
You know what? I have heard that before. My guitar player in one of my groups has an Epiphone Les Paul as I mentioned before, but the kid is fantastic. I also can't begin to tell you how many people I know who have better gear and have no where near the talent.... it's a shame really. They should probably worry less about the fancy inlays on the fretboard and worry more about honing their musicianship in my opinion. Ha. I'm sure you'll agree with that. You seem down.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #24

Quote:
You know what? I have heard that before. My guitar player in one of my groups has an Epiphone Les Paul as I mentioned before, but the kid is fantastic. I also can't begin to tell you how many people I know who have better gear and have no where near the talent.... it's a shame really. They should probably worry less about the fancy inlays on the fretboard and worry more about honing their musicianship in my opinion. Ha. I'm sure you'll agree with that. You seem down.
10-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
agreed :)

Old 10-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #25

Quote:
agreed :)

black_rose's Avatar black_rose
10-21-2006, 03:29 AM

Buy a Gibson Les Paul Custom, you'll love it.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:29 AM   #26
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 8254

10-21-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rose_immortal View Post
Yeah, if you have an extra 3k lying around...or you can spend 799 and get the mahogany.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rose_immortal View Post
Yeah, if you have an extra 3k lying around...or you can spend 799 and get the mahogany.

MU152762's Avatar MU152762
10-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat404 View Post

schecter C-1
jacksons
PRS SE line
epi's
epiphone les paul
Ibanez

i own a schecter... they play great. mine was $800 but i got it on sale for 599$. i would definately go with the c-1
Old 10-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat404 View Post

schecter C-1
jacksons
PRS SE line
epi's
epiphone les paul
Ibanez

i own a schecter... they play great. mine was $800 but i got it on sale for 599$. i would definately go with the c-1
rEVOLUTIONary's Avatar rEVOLUTIONary
10-21-2006, 11:36 PM

I bought an Ibanez S-470 for $400 about 3 months ago. I love it. I would recommend trying it out. happy hunting.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

I bought an Ibanez S-470 for $400 about 3 months ago. I love it. I would recommend trying it out. happy hunting.
10-26-2006, 08:15 AM

personally...gibson or ibanez. Ibanez has this weird clean tone that I wont use in the studio but works out fine live. I would go to a guitar center if you have one close and spend a massive amount of time on their guitars and amps just playing around...Im pretty sure when you play that right guitar it will hit you.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

personally...gibson or ibanez. Ibanez has this weird clean tone that I wont use in the studio but works out fine live. I would go to a guitar center if you have one close and spend a massive amount of time on their guitars and amps just playing around...Im pretty sure when you play that right guitar it will hit you.
11-01-2006, 09:53 PM

Whatever feels comfortable to you. Your amp settings and effects (if you use them) will get you the sound you want.
Just remember, the WAY you play makes all the difference...It's all in your soul brutha!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #31
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

Whatever feels comfortable to you. Your amp settings and effects (if you use them) will get you the sound you want.
Just remember, the WAY you play makes all the difference...It's all in your soul brutha!
ishcairn
11-01-2006, 10:07 PM

I think you should at least try out the Schecter Gryphon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronman View Post
Old 11-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

I think you should at least try out the Schecter Gryphon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronman View Post

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply