Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Artwork
User Name
Password
sianspheric's Avatar sianspheric
05-11-2006, 10:48 AM

You've got to think that the guys at the label must cringe when Tool brings in the artwork for a new release. Not that the art isnt amazing, but I'm sure its substantially more expensive than normal 8 page liner notes.

Its good though, because for art like they have in 10,000 Days, and for $10-13 for a disc now, buying that album seems like a really good deal, at least from maybe a undecided consumers standpoint.

Whereas I spent a lot of my youth buying cds with shit, bland covers and CD's were all $16-23 for a long time (at least rock / indie CD's).

But I'm sure to a degree, the label still wishes they didnt go so intricate with the lenses and cardboard cover, etc...with the artwork, as it pushes the manufacuring cost for the discs up quite a bit, I'm sure.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174
Cost of the artwork

You've got to think that the guys at the label must cringe when Tool brings in the artwork for a new release. Not that the art isnt amazing, but I'm sure its substantially more expensive than normal 8 page liner notes.

Its good though, because for art like they have in 10,000 Days, and for $10-13 for a disc now, buying that album seems like a really good deal, at least from maybe a undecided consumers standpoint.

Whereas I spent a lot of my youth buying cds with shit, bland covers and CD's were all $16-23 for a long time (at least rock / indie CD's).

But I'm sure to a degree, the label still wishes they didnt go so intricate with the lenses and cardboard cover, etc...with the artwork, as it pushes the manufacuring cost for the discs up quite a bit, I'm sure.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Scrotophagus's Avatar Scrotophagus
05-11-2006, 10:50 AM

No question. In fact, I remember Adam saying that everyone fought his artwork idea but the other three band members. I took that to mean the label especially.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: Cost of the artwork

No question. In fact, I remember Adam saying that everyone fought his artwork idea but the other three band members. I took that to mean the label especially.
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
05-11-2006, 11:01 AM

That is why it is so cool they are at #1 on Billboard. It will keep them making their own decisions.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

That is why it is so cool they are at #1 on Billboard. It will keep them making their own decisions.
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM

tool is pretty much the only band out there with full creative control
Old 05-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

fiftyfive
05-11-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedragon
what about simple plan?

hahaha...
Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
what about simple plan?

hahaha...
bitter_enigma's Avatar bitter_enigma
05-11-2006, 08:26 PM

I'm not sure if attaching the lenses to the package is going to make it that much more expensive to produce...

I mean, these things aren't handmade in Switzerland and sealed shut by freezing them during a Scandanavian snowstorm. The most expensive part of the process would've been paying the artists like Alex Grey and the photographer who did the sterescoping.

But I guess the company will always cringe at something that's going to cost them just 2 cents more per CD to make.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23

I'm not sure if attaching the lenses to the package is going to make it that much more expensive to produce...

I mean, these things aren't handmade in Switzerland and sealed shut by freezing them during a Scandanavian snowstorm. The most expensive part of the process would've been paying the artists like Alex Grey and the photographer who did the sterescoping.

But I guess the company will always cringe at something that's going to cost them just 2 cents more per CD to make.
zol's Avatar zol
05-12-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_enigma

If you look at the breakdown of a CD (where the money goes) even this slightly more elaborate packaging would have a very significant impact on the profit distributions.

Well done tool. Produce a very cool product and piss off the record company fat cats all at once.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
zol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_enigma

If you look at the breakdown of a CD (where the money goes) even this slightly more elaborate packaging would have a very significant impact on the profit distributions.

Well done tool. Produce a very cool product and piss off the record company fat cats all at once.
05-12-2006, 12:21 AM

So when are the record companies going to lower the cost of albums as promised about 15-20 years ago?

The record companies single-handedly eliminated the sale of vinyls (which sold for about $6-7 per album) a put out these shiny new things called CDs. They were almost twice as much, but the record companies claimed that it was because they were more expensive to make. They said that once the technology was cheaper, prices would go back down to $6-7.

Well now the tables have turned and CDs cost next to nothing to make. So why are we still paying at least double what albums used to cost?

Fuck record companies. Thanks Tool.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:21 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

So when are the record companies going to lower the cost of albums as promised about 15-20 years ago?

The record companies single-handedly eliminated the sale of vinyls (which sold for about $6-7 per album) a put out these shiny new things called CDs. They were almost twice as much, but the record companies claimed that it was because they were more expensive to make. They said that once the technology was cheaper, prices would go back down to $6-7.

Well now the tables have turned and CDs cost next to nothing to make. So why are we still paying at least double what albums used to cost?

05-12-2006, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm619

because they are just greedy bastards. and i think it might have something to do with downloading mp3s for free.

and yes fuck record companies and ticket scalpers...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 AM   #9
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm619

because they are just greedy bastards. and i think it might have something to do with downloading mp3s for free.

goa head
05-12-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOK3R

not trying to start a mp3 debate....but i think mp3 downloads are mainly an excuse used by the companies..... when they estimate the "losses" they incur from mp3s they use some sort of econometric/financial model on which numerous paremeters are used from a data sample/pool.....manipulating the parameters/model can yield substantially different results.....thus the "" on losses.

as for the cost of the artwork i would assume that profit margins on the album have decreased a bit....

i wonder if musicains will be able to develop a publisher free distribution method for their work.....similar to what Valve dide with computer games....i.e. publisher free online content distribution system......but then again there is no digital substitute for holding the physical tool cd and artwork in your hands...

i recall a quote from David Bowie a while back....went something along the lines of "to become a better artist(musician) i had to become a better businessman" which i think quite accuratley describes the music scene today (the sad state of it that is)

Last edited by goa head; 05-12-2006 at 06:19 AM..
Old 05-12-2006, 06:06 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOK3R

not trying to start a mp3 debate....but i think mp3 downloads are mainly an excuse used by the companies..... when they estimate the "losses" they incur from mp3s they use some sort of econometric/financial model on which numerous paremeters are used from a data sample/pool.....manipulating the parameters/model can yield substantially different results.....thus the "" on losses.

as for the cost of the artwork i would assume that profit margins on the album have decreased a bit....

i wonder if musicains will be able to develop a publisher free distribution method for their work.....similar to what Valve dide with computer games....i.e. publisher free online content distribution system......but then again there is no digital substitute for holding the physical tool cd and artwork in your hands...

i recall a quote from David Bowie a while back....went something along the lines of "to become a better artist(musician) i had to become a better businessman" which i think quite accuratley describes the music scene today (the sad state of it that is)

Last edited by goa head; 05-12-2006 at 06:19 AM..
CatchingCold
05-12-2006, 10:52 AM

I believe you guys are right in the fact that the label is cringing. But I also believe that the upcoming Vicarious DVD single is a way for them to get it out there AND receive money at that same time. Maybe hoping to regain what they lost from the making of the 10000 Days artwork?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

I believe you guys are right in the fact that the label is cringing. But I also believe that the upcoming Vicarious DVD single is a way for them to get it out there AND receive money at that same time. Maybe hoping to regain what they lost from the making of the 10000 Days artwork?
Furthurdown
05-12-2006, 12:37 PM

In all fairness, doesn't 7 dollars in 1980's equal about 10-13 dollars today? I agree with CD's being sold for anything over 15 dollars is rediculous, but I don't think they will get anywhere near 7 dollars for new releases again. Hell, the cost of living where a Big Mac meal costs nearly 5 dollars shows us that 10-12 dollars is a reasonable price to pay for a release.
Of course, everyone seems to exclude pink floyd's "The Wall." Does that thing still cost over $30?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

In all fairness, doesn't 7 dollars in 1980's equal about 10-13 dollars today? I agree with CD's being sold for anything over 15 dollars is rediculous, but I don't think they will get anywhere near 7 dollars for new releases again. Hell, the cost of living where a Big Mac meal costs nearly 5 dollars shows us that 10-12 dollars is a reasonable price to pay for a release.
Of course, everyone seems to exclude pink floyd's "The Wall." Does that thing still cost over $30?
05-13-2006, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furthurdown
i hate the australian dollar... everything sounds so cheap compared to AU$25...

and b.t.w. i saw "the wall" for AU$9.95... this global economy thing is nuts...
Old 05-13-2006, 04:21 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
i hate the australian dollar... everything sounds so cheap compared to AU$25...

and b.t.w. i saw "the wall" for AU$9.95... this global economy thing is nuts...
Code of the Streets
05-13-2006, 05:05 AM

On the same topic, yesterday I showed my brother the new CD. He goes "Cool!... How much did this cost?" I was like umm $10, he was like "sweet!"

Thought it was kind of funny... he probably thought it was like a Limited Edition or something that I paid extra for.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:05 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

On the same topic, yesterday I showed my brother the new CD. He goes "Cool!... How much did this cost?" I was like umm $10, he was like "sweet!"

Thought it was kind of funny... he probably thought it was like a Limited Edition or something that I paid extra for.
teleincision's Avatar teleincision
05-13-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
yup, ut my friend bought, and because it wqas so expensive, i... ummm, "burned" it..... coughcough..
Old 05-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #15

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
yup, ut my friend bought, and because it wqas so expensive, i... ummm, "burned" it..... coughcough..
05-13-2006, 08:43 AM

Sorry If I do not feel bad for the record labels and industry itself, they have been ripping people and bands off for years.
If anything they should be happy, it actually gives a fan better reason to buy rather then burn.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 1

Sorry If I do not feel bad for the record labels and industry itself, they have been ripping people and bands off for years.
If anything they should be happy, it actually gives a fan better reason to buy rather then burn.
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
05-13-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
and it shows
Old 05-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #17
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

Quote:
and it shows
05-13-2006, 09:01 AM

what about linkin park
Old 05-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 297

what about linkin park
05-13-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVastola
Good point.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVastola
Good point.
05-13-2006, 02:28 PM

It was done "within budget"

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #20
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

It was done "within budget"

Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
05-13-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye13
and it shows
It's because their label now see's that they sell BECAUSE they have hair on their balls and are different. They're proven it to their label.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #21
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye13
and it shows
It's because their label now see's that they sell BECAUSE they have hair on their balls and are different. They're proven it to their label.

zol's Avatar zol
05-20-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATARI
what about linkin park
Don't mention such trash on here please.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:50 AM   #22
zol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATARI
what about linkin park
Don't mention such trash on here please.
05-20-2006, 10:14 AM

If it cost the band/label even only 10 cents more per album to make this packaging happen and they go platinum....which they will....they lost out on $100,000...I'm guessing it cost quite a bit more than just 10 cents an album to make this packaging possible....quite a bit more....but because there is no major label "royaly screwing" the band, they can afford to deliver us something a bit more substantial, thusly detering us from downloading the data compressed mp3 version and appreciating the album as it's meant to be...as the band presents it...
Old 05-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

If it cost the band/label even only 10 cents more per album to make this packaging happen and they go platinum....which they will....they lost out on $100,000...I'm guessing it cost quite a bit more than just 10 cents an album to make this packaging possible....quite a bit more....but because there is no major label "royaly screwing" the band, they can afford to deliver us something a bit more substantial, thusly detering us from downloading the data compressed mp3 version and appreciating the album as it's meant to be...as the band presents it...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply