opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #81
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 26
Re: 2006/05/21 - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkFister
"Couple of other things about the long wait in line. Danny refused to sign a setlist because the guy didn't have a purple pen. Also, Adam came in with some new luggage which was probably why he was at Macys."

I also met Danny, outside the verizon wireless center in manchester, NH, during the Lateralus tour and the same thing happened to me. I asked for an autograph and he said "yeah, if you have a purple pen." I thought he was joking so i handed him my ticket and a blue pen, he started signing and stopped, handed it back to me and said "its not purple, sorry." So I asked for a pictured with him and he said "Sorry, no pictures guys, thanks for coming out to the show though." We were pretty dissapointed, but snapped a few pics of him descretly while walking away.[/QUOTE]

Excuse my off topicness, but I have always found it funny to have people sign things or get pictures with them. Memories can still be good, you don't have to date them. This is part of the reason why they do this. If you just tried to converse with them without alterior motive, you'd be fine and they would at least give you some time of day. Signatures and pictures just make it a joke.

What is better?

"Ohh I got Danny Careys autograph"

or

"I got to talk to Danny Carey"

Don't make these guys feel any weirder than they must already. Picture posing and signing things are tedious ( I really don't believe they have to "respect" any kind of so called "responsibility" they have to you as a "fan")

Just be a person to a person.

How would you feel if you were walking ANYWHERE and have people ask you for picture or autograph for the better part of 15 years? You'd be fuckin' tired or it too.

-Just being friendly

Peace

Last edited by 200L; 05-25-2006 at 10:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-26-2006, 03:50 AM   #82
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Word. That's why I just walked walked past all the people getting their tickets signed, and said "I just wanted to shake the hand of the man."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-26-2006, 05:56 AM   #83
Banned.

Bincount™: 70

i was able to procure the highly coveted red-ink signature of carrot top after his performance at a local VFW Hall. try and 'top' that one!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-26-2006, 08:21 AM   #84
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

yeah sorry for going off topic too and not at the show either but another reason not to sign is right away people put it on ebay to sell. fuck that if I was in their shoes I wouldnt sign anything just for this reason.
BTW- I did happen to run into James Hetfield walking into a club in NYC (back in late 80s) and it was just so much better to exchange few words with him then to hassle him for an autograph.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-26-2006, 11:07 AM   #85
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Sadly, I have to agree with some of you. I saw this show, Toronto, Detroit, and Phoenix and Maynard just didn't seem to be as into it as he was at past live shows I have seen. They must have known that only die hard fans got tickets and/or paid a ton of money from scalpers to see them at such small venues (paid $400 for my 10th row ticket), that I thought he would have given a little more. meaning, I saw no passion from Maynard, as I have seen in the past (I've seen them live about 20 times). I know this will piss some of you off, and don't get me wrong, they are the most talented musicians we've seen in a long long time, and I am grateful for their music, but was just a little dissappointed thats all, and we need to embrace that we are fortunate enough to be able to speak freely, even if we don't agree with each other.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #86
dvn
Level 4 - Thinker

To all you whiners about Maynard's stage movement and presence at Boston and the rest of the shows they did on this minitour, I have one simple observation:

He was wearing fucking cowboy boots. If you have never tried to wear a pair of these, you should try. You will find your movement very limited, definitely not something you can do anything more than awkwardly line dance to country music in. Ever see anyone run in boots? It's comical. If Maynard had moved any more than he did, we'd have seen him take a tumble off that riser.

-dvn

P.S. Don't even attempt to try and tell me that he wasn't wearing them, I was at
9 of the 16 shows and he was wearing them at all shows.

Last edited by dvn; 05-26-2006 at 12:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #87
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

It wasn't the lack of movement. It was the lack of passion in his whole presence. This time around he seemed as though it was just a job, I can't really explain it. Others that have seen them live many times might know what I'm talking about. He usually ends with something to the effect of -always a pleasure, never a chore- and in past shows seemed more involved in the music, very intense, in deep, if you know what I mean. Just didn't see that or feel that this time around. And I've never seen encores! I always thought it was really cool how they didn't feel the need to make the audience beg for more, they knew they put on a damn good show, and when they were done, they were done. (although I'll beg for maynard anytime, anyday, anywhere) but the whole attitude seemed different, and it just threw me off, kind of bummed me out, that's all. But, I LOVE THIS BAND and think they are all incredibly talented and gifted, and couldn't thank them enough for sharing their talent for us to enjoy!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #88
Level 3 - Talker

Everybody stop bitching about Maynard, He did absolutly fineShow was great, Maynard is amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #89
dvn
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynn
And I've never seen encores! I always thought it was really cool how they didn't feel the need to make the audience beg for more, they knew they put on a damn good show, and when they were done, they were done.
It was not really an encore, they didn't even leave the stage, this was in fact a break. The time that they take this break after Lateralus on this tour is at approximately the same time on the 01-02 tour took its break after Third Eye. Tool then came back to play thier 2nd set of the night. Its just unfortunate we get a 2 song 15 min set vs a 4-5 song 40 min set on the previous tour.

Tool HAVE done encores though, most notably in peoples hands is Kalamazoo 7.19.98, in which after the show was supposedly over after Aenema, Tool came back on stage after a full 4 minute break and roars to its real end, Jerkoff (extended version too!)...

-dvn
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #90
Level 1 - Lurker

I was in the lower box on the left side. 5 rows back from the stage, because like all true hardcore Toolers, I knew to order my tickets the moment they went on sale. I had a couple speakers partially blocking my view, which meant I had to lean to my right sometimes to see MJK, but who cares, it was row five, man! And the show? Just plain fuckin kicked massive amounts of ass. Hell, what else can I say? E'ryone else here's already said how badass it was. I got no reason to be rehashing it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #91
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvn
To all you whiners about Maynard's stage movement and presence at Boston and the rest of the shows they did on this minitour, I have one simple observation:

He was wearing fucking cowboy boots. If you have never tried to wear a pair of these, you should try. You will find your movement very limited, definitely not something you can do anything more than awkwardly line dance to country music in.
...emm.. Plenty of women perform in fucking STILETTOS all the time, and they manage. If something that trivial impedes his performance maybe he should choose some different fucking footwear for chrissakes.

Not to mention he's performed in crazy platform heels before, and he managed then...
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: