opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
TooL Tour without an Album?

I guess the gods of prog art rock have finally sold out. Doing a small summer tour only a year and some change after their last tour? This isnt the TooL i grew up listening to. Oversaturation was what they completely steered clear of back in the 90s. Now it seems they are just capitalist business men who are in it for the buck. This is too soon for a new tour and i say this being the biggest tool fan i know.

TooL is turning into bon jovi or ozzy osbourne or metallica...touring without an album being released. I guess the $ wins out over carefully planned and constructed art in the end...it always does. Unless Maynard has had vocal surgery and can actually sing like he could in the 90s again...i will always disagree with this tour.

TooL is slowly becomming watered down and it just pisses me off. From them showing their faces on the 10kdays CD to them doing every single dumb ass interview they can get in any retarded metal magazine, to Maynard doing "Puscifer" and showing us that he is hands down the weakest link in tool, to maynard wearing cowboy hats and boots with tight jeans and no shirt on stage trying to look "sexy", to maynard exploiting his celebrity status to sell his wine instead of letting his wine sell its self because it is a good product. If you told me all of this was going to happen in the 90s i wouldnt have believed you for a second.

Its all so god damn [slur removed]. I want my demon maynard back...not this wine selling "rapper" who sings some of the time in the best band on the planet.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656
Re: TooL Tour without an Album?

i think part of the over saturation is to get their message out to more audiences.

thats the simplified version of it, but you gotta remember, they are humans before they are anything else. they may have some loyalty to their fan base, but no more than a drunk to a bar tender.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

oh no i get to see one of my fav bands live this summer when i didn't think i would for another few years, i'm so upset.....
Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton John View Post
I guess the gods of prog art rock have finally sold out.
LMAO. Are you serious? Have you listened to "Hooker With a Penis" lately?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

If you listen to and enjoy Tool, it doesn't give a shit what they do on the side. You're admiring the art, not the artists.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post
they may have some loyalty to their fan base, but no more than a drunk to a bar tender.
haha
Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell View Post
LMAO. Are you serious? Have you listened to "Hooker With a Penis" lately?
Well, this IS a mute point you're making....that was written well over 10yrs ago and we're talking the present here.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post
If you listen to and enjoy Tool, it doesn't give a shit what they do on the side. You're admiring the art, not the artists.
I concur
Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Well, this IS a mute point you're making....that was written well over 10yrs ago and we're talking the present here.
It's "moot". And no, I'm not.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
On Probation

Bincount™: 7

tool only sold out compared to this demigod like image you guys have created in your head. they're not these angry hardcore rebels that are trying to take over the world with badass music, they're fucking rodeo clowns, they've said it themselves. they don't even take themselves seriously anymore because once you reach a certain status and fame, there's a whole lifestyle waiting for you already, and you have to tip toe around that to make it through the muck of fame and fortune. imo, they've handled all their fame pretty tastefully, tools about evolving and growing, so why shouldn't they reach for the stars and try new things if it's within their grasp? or would you rather see maynard suffer every night and sing angry demonic songs for the rest of his career, as he's said before, "if i can't heal from my art, then what's the point in doing it at all?"
Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
It's "moot". And no, I'm not.
Moot Mute, poh-tay-toh pah-tah-toh....whatever.....you're still wrong
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Chris is right, Tool sold out long ago.
Blah
Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #13
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Quote:
Its all so god damn [slur removed]. I want my demon maynard back...not this wine selling "rapper" who sings some of the time in the best band on the planet.
Maynard is in his mid 40's, what do you expect? Enjoy the shows that they are playing, that's what I'm going to do.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #14

Bincount™: 391

Quote:
I guess the gods of prog art rock have finally sold out. Doing a small summer tour only a year and some change after their last tour? This isnt the TooL i grew up listening to. Oversaturation was what they completely steered clear of back in the 90s. Now it seems they are just capitalist business men who are in it for the buck. This is too soon for a new tour and i say this being the biggest tool fan i know.

TooL is turning into bon jovi or ozzy osbourne or metallica...touring without an album being released. I guess the $ wins out over carefully planned and constructed art in the end...it always does. Unless Maynard has had vocal surgery and can actually sing like he could in the 90s again...i will always disagree with this tour.

TooL is slowly becomming watered down and it just pisses me off. From them showing their faces on the 10kdays CD to them doing every single dumb ass interview they can get in any retarded metal magazine, to Maynard doing "Puscifer" and showing us that he is hands down the weakest link in tool, to maynard wearing cowboy hats and boots with tight jeans and no shirt on stage trying to look "sexy", to maynard exploiting his celebrity status to sell his wine instead of letting his wine sell its self because it is a good product. If you told me all of this was going to happen in the 90s i wouldnt have believed you for a second.

you are my #1 poster

good stuff
Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

i agree and disagree with the OP at the same time.

i bet if 90's maynard were to travel in time to meet present day maynard, he'd crush his skull for being such a fucking sellout.

On the other hand I do like the direction the band has taken: less anger, more uplifting lyrics, and they have also managed to stay musically sharp. I think this tour is for them to warm up for the recording of the new album, and to make some money for recording expenses. imo, of course.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Moot Mute, poh-tay-toh pah-tah-toh....whatever.....
LMAO. Not quite.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define:moot
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:mute

Quote:
you're still wrong
I [was wrong] long before you ever even heard my name.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
LMAO. Not quite.
I know

Quote:
I [was wrong] long before you ever even heard my name.
It happens
Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
oh no i get to see one of my fav bands live this summer when i didn't think i would for another few years, i'm so upset.....
LOL.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
On Probation

Bincount™: 189

Wish they'd go back to grass roots and play in NZ pubs. fuck that'd be intense
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

"All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #21
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

Did anyone bitch about Tool oversaturating the market when they did the 1998 tour after doing Lollapalooza in 97, and a tour before that in 96? Tool will always be the Tool you grew up listening to in the 90's, because they're the same four guys still doing exactly what they want to do. They showed their faces in the artwork for Undertow, long before 10,000 Days. They did tons and tons of interviews throughout the 90's. The image you have of Tool in your mind is just one that you blind yourself with so you can continue to believe that you're part of something special, "one of the few," who are the "hardcore Tool fans." Tool chose to make a career with their art as soon as they signed a record deal and made T-shirts for all of us to buy. But more importantly.. best band on the planet? Seriously?
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
Old 07-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

You should go find all of the members of Tool and give them a good spanking.How dare they express themselves freely!
If you don't like them anymore,then go and find some local band with only a handful of people at a show and go to a show,make yourself feel special for once,you deserve it buddy.And as far as them showing their faces on the 10,000 Days art,well, the album is all about them and their lives and experiences.And there's a lot more going on in those photos than a photo op for a magazine cover or something similar.
I imagine you'll still go to the show and be one of those a-holes who stand there the whole time and rant and rave about this and that,rather than be in the moment and enjoy it for what it is.

I think what you really need is a pacifier,or something to suck on.Wanna meat?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #23
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
This. And I think they may dust off some old tunes this time around. I hope so. And whether they do or not, it's been about three years since I've seen them, and I was actually pretty bummed a few months ago, before these dates were announced, to think I wasn't going to see them again until 2011 or so.

Quote:
Now it seems they are just capitalist business men
I'm tired of people using "capitalist" like it's a pejorative term. Capitalism is what made this country great.

Quote:
. . . to Maynard doing "Puscifer" and showing us that he is hands down the weakest link in tool, to maynard wearing cowboy hats and boots with tight jeans and no shirt on stage trying to look "sexy", to maynard exploiting his celebrity status to sell his wine instead of letting his wine sell its self because it is a good product.
This part actually made me smile, and I kind of have to agree. Maynard is wearing pretty thin on me these days, and his side projects are just such dogshit, especially compared to Tool. (I haven't tried his wine yet because I'm sure there's no way it lives up to its price tag.)
<ru5ty> wat
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

As far as maynards side projects go i think that A Perfect Circle put out good music (aside from the terrible covers) And as far as it stands TooL never claimed that they didnt sell out, fans just assume so because they don't want to compare there favorite band to shitty bands like metallica. The truth is that in the music business if you want to make money you HAVE to sell out, otherwise you stay a shitty unsigned band and you grow up to be poor. The next thing is how dare anyone complain about Tool doing a small summer tour? I just recently became a Tool fan and didnt think i would be able to see them until 2112 when they would get together to perform Aenima as the world was ending, i for one think if they want to play some music let them play some fuckin music. And yes im beyond excited to see them on the 28th, even if they are "sell outs"
Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

god, what a stupid fucking argument. so they didn't live up to YOUR expectations? so the fuck what? they're doing what they want, which is playing shows and we're doing what we want... which is going to their shows. and they're gearing up for a new album so this could be what helps them focus to make it happen. i'm glad they're crushed your idea of what they should be. there's only one thing that should be - a band that does whatever the fuck they want with their art. fuck your ideas. you're as worthless as a rolling stone critic.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #26
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:

I'm willing to bet a large sum that if you go look at the tour history this is NOT the first mini-tour without a related release.

I'm thinking West Coast.....with The Melvins......in the 90's....
08/07/93 - 11/20/94 - 11/09/96 - 06/25/97 - 03/29/98 - 08/03/01 -10/9/01 - 10/10/01 - 11/09/02 - 05/08/06 - 11/09/06 - 06/25/07 - 05/29/07 - 6/01/07 - 06/02/07 - 07/22/09 - 08/08/09 - 06/29/10 - 07/12/10 - 07/15/10- 01/14/2012 - 03/12/2014 - 03/13/2014 - 03/16/2014 - 10/22/2015 - 06/21/2017- 10/13/19 - 10/21/19 - 11/24/19 - 01/15/20 - 02/05/22 - 03/03/22

Corex says:
June 12, 2010 at 1:50 am

"Yeah Tool is fucking amazing. But there’s a big chunk of their fan base that think they’ve become thought provoking geniuses just from listening to them."
Old 07-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisoner 37 View Post
You should go find all of the members of Tool and give them a good spanking.How dare they express themselves freely!
If you don't like them anymore,then go and find some local band with only a handful of people at a show and go to a show,make yourself feel special for once,you deserve it buddy.And as far as them showing their faces on the 10,000 Days art,well, the album is all about them and their lives and experiences.And there's a lot more going on in those photos than a photo op for a magazine cover or something similar.
I imagine you'll still go to the show and be one of those a-holes who stand there the whole time and rant and rave about this and that,rather than be in the moment and enjoy it for what it is.

I think what you really need is a pacifier,or something to suck on.Wanna meat?

I agree, all these people that cant stand Tool anymore should not go to a show or buy any future albums, go find an underground unsigned band and get the fuck off of Tool fan sites. You know what the funny thing is though? You will go to the shows and buy the albums, you just like to bitch!! What your not doing is what the band suggests that you do with their music (use it as motivation or a catalyst to generate something positive in your life or help you through tough times) How can you enjoy the music if all you do is try and find something negative about it or about the band? Also Puscifer, A Perfect Circle, and Volto are all great side projects producing amazing and original music.
5-11-07__5-19-07__ 6-22-07__11-16-07__ 11-19-07__7-25-09__6-23-10__1-21-12__3-24-14__3-25-14__10-31-15__1-14-16__1-16-16__1-17-16__10-28-16__5-30-17__5-19-19__11-03-19__02-01-20__01-30-2022__03-10-2022__03-17-2022
Old 07-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #28

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteJesus View Post
As far as maynards side projects go i think that A Perfect Circle put out good music (aside from the terrible covers) And as far as it stands TooL never claimed that they didnt sell out, fans just assume so because they don't want to compare there favorite band to shitty bands like metallica. The truth is that in the music business if you want to make money you HAVE to sell out, otherwise you stay a shitty unsigned band and you grow up to be poor. The next thing is how dare anyone complain about Tool doing a small summer tour? I just recently became a Tool fan and didnt think i would be able to see them until 2112 when they would get together to perform Aenima as the world was ending, i for one think if they want to play some music let them play some fuckin music. And yes im beyond excited to see them on the 28th, even if they are "sell outs"
2112? Do you know something we don't?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

this is a fucking retarted thread to begin with......my god our fucking favorite band is touring this summer and all we wanna talk about is selling out!???!?! How about we discuss whether we are going to get D/R/T!!!! What an ignorant fucking stupid post by Elton John.........for whatever fucking reason they are touring lets appreciate it, because they arent gettin any younger, and we all know they only have one more album coming out and one final tour after that! ignorant fucks....
Old 07-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #30

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuspoop View Post
2112? Do you know something we don't?
rush and the mayans are colluding.
Atlanta, GA - 7/27/09 | Fairfax, VA - 7/30/09
All Points West, NJ - 8/01/09
Kansas City, MO - 6/25/10 | St. Louis, MO - 6/26/10
Sacramento, CA - 7/13/10
Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
Wish they'd go back to grass roots and play in NZ pubs. fuck that'd be intense
i'd settle for a 2nd round at the huntridge theater in vegas.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #32
Level 2 - Poster

I've never been to a Tool show but I love them more than any other band. I can't even listen to other music sometimes b/c I think nothing compares to Tool. Anyways, I really want to see them this summer but the only show I could make it to is 8 hours away does anyone have experience with travelling that far to see Tool/ or think its worth it?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #33
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

ive had many friends go 5 states away just for one show, if you like tool that much it would be worth it. plus getting their is half the fun!
Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #34
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 206

Back in '01, I spent 40+ hours driving 2450+ miles over a span of 2 weeks seeing 10 shows in 9 cities. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Would I do it again? NEVER.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #35
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulogys View Post
Back in '01, I spent 40+ hours driving 2450+ miles over a span of 2 weeks seeing 10 shows in 9 cities. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Would I do it again? NEVER.
wow. that sounds awesome.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #36
Level 10 - Vehement

Yes it was crincled. One of the advantages of living in the Northeast, large population base that warrants multiple shows within an easy days drive. The most memorable part of the entire trip was seeing in person ground zero in NYC 3 weeks after 9/11.

I also did a 20+ hour, 1275+ mile trek over 6 days seeing 5 shows in 5 cities during the summer '02 tour. That one involved all 1 day round trips, with 1/2 of that (10+hrs, 650+ miles) being just 1 show which I believe was the last time the played the Patient during the Lateralus tours.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #37
Level 3 - Talker

driving to charlotte from indy by myself for bojangles show...Can't wait
Old 07-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #38
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulogys View Post
Yes it was crincled. One of the advantages of living in the Northeast, large population base that warrants multiple shows within an easy days drive. The most memorable part of the entire trip was seeing in person ground zero in NYC 3 weeks after 9/11.

I also did a 20+ hour, 1275+ mile trek over 6 days seeing 5 shows in 5 cities during the summer '02 tour. That one involved all 1 day round trips, with 1/2 of that (10+hrs, 650+ miles) being just 1 show which I believe was the last time the played the Patient during the Lateralus tours.
im flying over to NY for 1 show lol
Old 07-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #39
Level 10 - Vehement

I've recently moved down to Florida and I'm going to the GA show and then flying up to NH for the Manchester show and to see and party with a bunch of friends. Should be some good times at the end of july/beginning of august.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #40
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE View Post
driving to charlotte from indy by myself for bojangles show...Can't wait
I really want to travel to see them! I really wish there was some way to know what set list they were going to play!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: