Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Master_Of_Nothing
01-04-2008, 06:46 PM

Mudvayne i get.
RATM has the same kinda of poetical negativity
The BEATLES!! pls tell me that was a joke....
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #121
On Probation

Bincount™: 189
Re: What 3 bands is Tool most similar to?

Mudvayne i get.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
liecheatsteal
01-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
Mudvayne i get.
Not really, Why was it so funny?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #122
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Mudvayne i get.
Not really, Why was it so funny?
03-07-2008, 12:15 PM

Red Temple Spirits
Father Yod

in fact i think theyve stolen from these bands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhos View Post
caspar brötzmann massaker

(checkout album "koksofen" where adam has stolen his guitar sound)
caspar brötzmann is fucking amazing...adam only hopes
Old 03-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #123
a vampire, a lycan

Bincount™: 2264

Red Temple Spirits
Father Yod

in fact i think theyve stolen from these bands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhos View Post
caspar brötzmann massaker

(checkout album "koksofen" where adam has stolen his guitar sound)
caspar brötzmann is fucking amazing...adam only hopes
Master_Of_Nothing
03-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Uhh, Beatles was mainstream and loved by Elvis fans
Tool has neither attribute (thankfully)
Old 03-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #124
On Probation

Selkie's Avatar Selkie
03-14-2008, 01:23 AM

Dream Theatre, lolol
Old 03-14-2008, 01:23 AM   #125
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

Dream Theatre, lolol
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel on the Sideline View Post
It depends on what you mean by "similar to." Do you mean "sounds like" or do you mean "has the same type of song structure," etc?

My interpretation would be has the same philosophy of developing "progressive" and unique music. In that case, I would say TOOL is most similar to:

- King Crimson
- Led Zeppelin
- Pink Floyd

Really, though, the great thing about TOOL is how unique the band and the sound are.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #126
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel on the Sideline View Post
It depends on what you mean by "similar to." Do you mean "sounds like" or do you mean "has the same type of song structure," etc?

My interpretation would be has the same philosophy of developing "progressive" and unique music. In that case, I would say TOOL is most similar to:

- King Crimson
- Led Zeppelin
- Pink Floyd

Really, though, the great thing about TOOL is how unique the band and the sound are.
03-14-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liecheatsteal View Post
LMFAO.

"Give them some credit. They make epic music". True quote from a Fall Out Boy fan claiming they were better than Tool
seriously *pukes in mouth*
Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #127
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by liecheatsteal View Post
LMFAO.

"Give them some credit. They make epic music". True quote from a Fall Out Boy fan claiming they were better than Tool
seriously *pukes in mouth*
03-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Decent post, only if you take out the creepy elipsis's and focus on your sentence structure. But i agree with you
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #128
On Probation

Decent post, only if you take out the creepy elipsis's and focus on your sentence structure. But i agree with you
tool25's Avatar tool25
03-15-2008, 10:31 AM

tool sound like:

king crimson
pink floyd
the doors

sound like tool:
HURT
10 years
chevelle
Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #129
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 20

tool sound like:

king crimson
pink floyd
the doors

sound like tool:
HURT
10 years
chevelle
03-15-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
are you kidding? tool is VERY mainstream.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #130
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

Quote:
are you kidding? tool is VERY mainstream.
03-15-2008, 11:42 AM

I wasn't talking about appeal, genres, or fans. I was talking about their massive popularity and radio play.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #131
Super Bat Kiss

I wasn't talking about appeal, genres, or fans. I was talking about their massive popularity and radio play.
03-15-2008, 12:07 PM

Tool is somewhere in between, although they certainly didn't start that way. Main difference is that they originated as an underground alternative/prog metal act. with their own artistic vision, and never let that get compromised. They were not "taken into the studio by some producer", who told them he was going to make them huge - how and why to construct their music so it would sell millions of albums, like most real "mainstream" acts. Now they sell millions of albums and are in the media sometimes. They have become mainstream by their own artistic merit, which is a great thing and has only allowed them to live their lives as they wish and continue to have control over and produce what material they feel like when they feel like it. So I can find a middleground in the argument. Probably they are mainstream now, but they originated out of something definitely not mainstream.

I think if you read Danny's faq on www.danneycarey.org it gives you great insight. Just because something becomes popular because it is GOOD is not a bad thing. And even though they are mainstream at this point, they are definitely not P-Diddy mainstream, so it's a bit relative.

Van Gogh is mainstream, and his art is arguably unmatched.

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 03-15-2008 at 12:12 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #132
Level 8 - Vociferous

Tool is somewhere in between, although they certainly didn't start that way. Main difference is that they originated as an underground alternative/prog metal act. with their own artistic vision, and never let that get compromised. They were not "taken into the studio by some producer", who told them he was going to make them huge - how and why to construct their music so it would sell millions of albums, like most real "mainstream" acts. Now they sell millions of albums and are in the media sometimes. They have become mainstream by their own artistic merit, which is a great thing and has only allowed them to live their lives as they wish and continue to have control over and produce what material they feel like when they feel like it. So I can find a middleground in the argument. Probably they are mainstream now, but they originated out of something definitely not mainstream.

I think if you read Danny's faq on www.danneycarey.org it gives you great insight. Just because something becomes popular because it is GOOD is not a bad thing. And even though they are mainstream at this point, they are definitely not P-Diddy mainstream, so it's a bit relative.

Van Gogh is mainstream, and his art is arguably unmatched.

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 03-15-2008 at 12:12 PM..
03-15-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool25 View Post
tool sound like:

king crimson
pink floyd
the doors

sound like tool:
HURT
10 years
chevelle
Much better way of putting it. But I still think they're more like Zeppelin than The Doors. There are similarities to both, but it's the hard edge of Zeppelin that bridges the gap for me.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #133
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool25 View Post
tool sound like:

king crimson
pink floyd
the doors

sound like tool:
HURT
10 years
chevelle
Much better way of putting it. But I still think they're more like Zeppelin than The Doors. There are similarities to both, but it's the hard edge of Zeppelin that bridges the gap for me.
03-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Ah ha, but you're American i take it? I'm a New Zealander, and Tool is pretty much under a rock as far as we can tell. Its not mainstream here, its quite underground. I've seen each tool Video once (not counting Parabol/a and Vicarious) due to a need to fill in a half hour slot on the local music tv. Thats it. So its not mainstream here.

Ginazjuice, i almost regretted throwing in the jab, but then i looked at your name....muahahahahah!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #134
On Probation

Ah ha, but you're American i take it? I'm a New Zealander, and Tool is pretty much under a rock as far as we can tell. Its not mainstream here, its quite underground. I've seen each tool Video once (not counting Parabol/a and Vicarious) due to a need to fill in a half hour slot on the local music tv. Thats it. So its not mainstream here.

Ginazjuice, i almost regretted throwing in the jab, but then i looked at your name....muahahahahah!
5th Eye's Avatar 5th Eye
03-16-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinazJuice View Post
Were not fucking lumping Tool in with Britney Spears, mainstream has that connatation when musical flavors are tasted then disgust, I mean discussed. Tool is as mainstream as the sun is cold....Not going to work for me. If they are considered mainstream then they certainly have redesigned the shape of what that actually means. Because the Viacarous video is played on MTV or Jambi on the radio 100 times a day, the mainstream description is incorrect terminology through and through. Most people who experience tool don't even know what they are hearing or living, for them the music is there, and when the song is over it is over. Tool's influence continues long after the music is physically over. Look at John Mayer, he has these stupid pop songs all over the radio, and MTV, but in actuality he is one of the best blues guitarists that have picked up a six-string....Now how would you know that by listening to the radio? You wouldn't. Same thing with Tool. If you lumped them mainstream, you have lumped yourself the same.....And I mean that in the most non-limiting way possible..
ahahahahaha

so you're saying Tool isn't mainstream because you understand them on some transcendental level, and that John Mayer is good?

you don't know anything about music
Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #135
Super Bat Kiss

Quote:
Were not fucking lumping Tool in with Britney Spears, mainstream has that connatation when musical flavors are tasted then disgust, I mean discussed. Tool is as mainstream as the sun is cold....Not going to work for me. If they are considered mainstream then they certainly have redesigned the shape of what that actually means. Because the Viacarous video is played on MTV or Jambi on the radio 100 times a day, the mainstream description is incorrect terminology through and through. Most people who experience tool don't even know what they are hearing or living, for them the music is there, and when the song is over it is over. Tool's influence continues long after the music is physically over. Look at John Mayer, he has these stupid pop songs all over the radio, and MTV, but in actuality he is one of the best blues guitarists that have picked up a six-string....Now how would you know that by listening to the radio? You wouldn't. Same thing with Tool. If you lumped them mainstream, you have lumped yourself the same.....And I mean that in the most non-limiting way possible..
ahahahahaha

so you're saying Tool isn't mainstream because you understand them on some transcendental level, and that John Mayer is good?

03-16-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Eye View Post
ahahahahaha

I don't really think he's trying to say that. He's just trying to defend their artistic integrity. And the label of "mainstream" has a tendency to denote that they have lost that quality. I can see where he's coming from. But like I said, I am on the fence on this one. They are somewhere in between. And if they are "mainstream", they are one of the relatively rare acts (ESPECIALLY in America) that has made it there entirely on their own vision and artistic merit. There is something to be said for that.

Yeah that name Ginaz_Juice will get you a jab or two here and there... mine certainly has me =). You guys give the less than greatly screennamed fellas a little bit of a break, because you've got to realize ideal handles aren't exactly up for grabs here anymore. I didn't have hours to keep trying one hundred possibilities, and come up with something perfect when I felt the undeniable impulsive urge to respond to a post finally after about 5 years of lurking here.

And the John Mayer topic... *sings* here come the flames, here comes the flames. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but if you look at what he's done so far, he broke from his "mainstream" beginning to attain more artistic credibility. I mean, he went from "your body is a wonderland" *puke* to a pretty tight blues/rock trio doing originals and Hendrix/SRV covers. Which is a commendable thing, in this day and age within the music industry. He is looked at as having great potential for what he eventually may do, because he's so young. The one thing I can say for sure is the is an exceptionally talented guitarist. One of the very few I have ever heard who does half justice to Hendrix, and can pull it off live. So he may turn out better than most of us expect.

But alas, the thread is most definitely not about John Mayer lol...
Old 03-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #136
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Eye View Post
ahahahahaha

I don't really think he's trying to say that. He's just trying to defend their artistic integrity. And the label of "mainstream" has a tendency to denote that they have lost that quality. I can see where he's coming from. But like I said, I am on the fence on this one. They are somewhere in between. And if they are "mainstream", they are one of the relatively rare acts (ESPECIALLY in America) that has made it there entirely on their own vision and artistic merit. There is something to be said for that.

Yeah that name Ginaz_Juice will get you a jab or two here and there... mine certainly has me =). You guys give the less than greatly screennamed fellas a little bit of a break, because you've got to realize ideal handles aren't exactly up for grabs here anymore. I didn't have hours to keep trying one hundred possibilities, and come up with something perfect when I felt the undeniable impulsive urge to respond to a post finally after about 5 years of lurking here.

And the John Mayer topic... *sings* here come the flames, here comes the flames. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but if you look at what he's done so far, he broke from his "mainstream" beginning to attain more artistic credibility. I mean, he went from "your body is a wonderland" *puke* to a pretty tight blues/rock trio doing originals and Hendrix/SRV covers. Which is a commendable thing, in this day and age within the music industry. He is looked at as having great potential for what he eventually may do, because he's so young. The one thing I can say for sure is the is an exceptionally talented guitarist. One of the very few I have ever heard who does half justice to Hendrix, and can pull it off live. So he may turn out better than most of us expect.

But alas, the thread is most definitely not about John Mayer lol...
03-16-2008, 03:15 PM

RAMMSTEIN
DETERIOR
LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY
Old 03-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #137
Banned.

Bincount™: 2859

RAMMSTEIN
DETERIOR
LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY
03-16-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Basically what I am trying to say is, Tool doesn't sound like any other band. YOu can't listen to their music and mistake it as anything else. They have developed a sound that is completely their own. That is the first rule that is broken when they are tried to be miscatergorized mainstream.
True, but seems to me something can have a highly original sound and still be "mainstream".

Mozart is "mainstream" lol
Old 03-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #138
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Basically what I am trying to say is, Tool doesn't sound like any other band. YOu can't listen to their music and mistake it as anything else. They have developed a sound that is completely their own. That is the first rule that is broken when they are tried to be miscatergorized mainstream.
True, but seems to me something can have a highly original sound and still be "mainstream".

Mozart is "mainstream" lol
03-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlittleparasite View Post
RAMMSTEIN
DETERIOR
LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY
wat
Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #139
Super Bat Kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlittleparasite View Post
RAMMSTEIN
DETERIOR
LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY
wat
03-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Very good point.

For me to call or label something "mainstream" it has to have alot of the same structures, and arrangements as alot of other music within the same genre that is popular at that time.

From wikipedia:

General meaning: Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought of the majority.

Musically Speaking: Mainstream music denotes music that is familiar and unthreatening to the masses.

I don't think Tool fits any of that.
You don't have the huge fanbase that tool does and not be mainstream. Tool's music is deep and intricate, but it also is very pleasing to the ear. That's why it appeals to so many people. I say they are somewhere inbetween. They have the popularity of being mainstream, but a lot of those people just like the sound and don't really understand the other side them.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #140
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Very good point.

For me to call or label something "mainstream" it has to have alot of the same structures, and arrangements as alot of other music within the same genre that is popular at that time.

From wikipedia:

General meaning: Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought of the majority.

Musically Speaking: Mainstream music denotes music that is familiar and unthreatening to the masses.

I don't think Tool fits any of that.
You don't have the huge fanbase that tool does and not be mainstream. Tool's music is deep and intricate, but it also is very pleasing to the ear. That's why it appeals to so many people. I say they are somewhere inbetween. They have the popularity of being mainstream, but a lot of those people just like the sound and don't really understand the other side them.
Master_Of_Nothing
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Dream theatre isn't mainstream either, but they have sold out concerts everywhere.
Mainstream is The Kooks ( Indie ) Rihanna (RnB) Escape the fate (Emo) ie. crap music
Good music is usually never mainstream imo. Only a few greats have managed to rise e.g Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and that was only because they captured the mood of the time.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #141
On Probation

Dream theatre isn't mainstream either, but they have sold out concerts everywhere.
Mainstream is The Kooks ( Indie ) Rihanna (RnB) Escape the fate (Emo) ie. crap music
Good music is usually never mainstream imo. Only a few greats have managed to rise e.g Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and that was only because they captured the mood of the time.
Nong's Avatar Nong
03-17-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Dream Theatre doesn't have the fanbase that Tool does. Tool has also won three Grammys, two for best metal performance. For Aenema they beat out Korn, Pantera, and Megadeth. For Schism they beat out Slipknot, Black Sabbath, System of a Down, and Slayer. I'm sorry but they are at least partially mainstream.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #142
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Dream Theatre doesn't have the fanbase that Tool does. Tool has also won three Grammys, two for best metal performance. For Aenema they beat out Korn, Pantera, and Megadeth. For Schism they beat out Slipknot, Black Sabbath, System of a Down, and Slayer. I'm sorry but they are at least partially mainstream.
whittashau's Avatar whittashau
03-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:

What are you on about? I see dozens of people with Tool T-shirts and Tool stickers on their cars and so forth. Schism was played a lot on C4 when Lateralus was released. The Vicarious video hasnt been played often due to it being released more than a year after 10k Days came out. The song itself has had plenty of air time on the radio though ,and Aenema was voted the 8th best album of all time by the Rock's listeners. Stop deluding yourself. Tool is mainstream.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #143
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 8837

Quote:

What are you on about? I see dozens of people with Tool T-shirts and Tool stickers on their cars and so forth. Schism was played a lot on C4 when Lateralus was released. The Vicarious video hasnt been played often due to it being released more than a year after 10k Days came out. The song itself has had plenty of air time on the radio though ,and Aenema was voted the 8th best album of all time by the Rock's listeners. Stop deluding yourself. Tool is mainstream.
whittashau's Avatar whittashau
03-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
You have to be careful when using the word mainstream with music, it has a different meaning than when used in different context. Basically when you say Tool is mainstream, you are saying they pretty much have nothing to offer musicallly. Do you want to go there?
I really don't see how something being mainstream equates to it having nothing to offer musically. If that is the case then The Beatles have also nothing to offer musically?

To say that music being mainstream somehow makes it of any less value is absurd and irrational. I'm not saying that a lot of music which is mainstream isn't utter crap though.

Being mainstream is about being popular and things that go along with being popular. You adding any other meanings to it is your problem.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #144
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 8837

Quote:
You have to be careful when using the word mainstream with music, it has a different meaning than when used in different context. Basically when you say Tool is mainstream, you are saying they pretty much have nothing to offer musicallly. Do you want to go there?
I really don't see how something being mainstream equates to it having nothing to offer musically. If that is the case then The Beatles have also nothing to offer musically?

To say that music being mainstream somehow makes it of any less value is absurd and irrational. I'm not saying that a lot of music which is mainstream isn't utter crap though.

Being mainstream is about being popular and things that go along with being popular. You adding any other meanings to it is your problem.
will see you auntie's Avatar will see you auntie
03-17-2008, 07:56 PM

pink floyd, nine inch nails, mars volta (at the drive in) in terms of bands who have made it big while still keeping their edge and artistic integrity...but I don't think any band can really compare to tool.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #145
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

pink floyd, nine inch nails, mars volta (at the drive in) in terms of bands who have made it big while still keeping their edge and artistic integrity...but I don't think any band can really compare to tool.
03-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will see you auntie View Post
good take on it
Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #146
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by will see you auntie View Post
good take on it
03-17-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Basically when you say Tool is mainstream, you are saying they pretty much have nothing to offer musicallly. Do you want to go there?

No, that's your interpretation of mainstream. To me being mainstream has to do with your music being popular, and widely listened to. You can be a popular band, win grammys, have a lot of fans and still offer all that Tool does musically and poetically. That doesn't mean everybody gets it. I saw an 80/20 ratio posted on here that seems pretty accurate.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #147
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Basically when you say Tool is mainstream, you are saying they pretty much have nothing to offer musicallly. Do you want to go there?

No, that's your interpretation of mainstream. To me being mainstream has to do with your music being popular, and widely listened to. You can be a popular band, win grammys, have a lot of fans and still offer all that Tool does musically and poetically. That doesn't mean everybody gets it. I saw an 80/20 ratio posted on here that seems pretty accurate.
Nong's Avatar Nong
03-17-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I will consider your point of view if you can prove they are mainstream, not, just because they have a far and wide audience, picked up some grammy's, and are generally accepted on the radio. Reconsider what mainstream means in a musical context, and then tell me I am wrong on this. Do research on mainstream, and how it applies to music.
Lmao, you're funny. I just explained how mainstream applies to music. You're retort is "well besides all that how are they mainstream?" Please explain to me if they aren't mainstream then what are they? Underground?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #148
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I will consider your point of view if you can prove they are mainstream, not, just because they have a far and wide audience, picked up some grammy's, and are generally accepted on the radio. Reconsider what mainstream means in a musical context, and then tell me I am wrong on this. Do research on mainstream, and how it applies to music.
Lmao, you're funny. I just explained how mainstream applies to music. You're retort is "well besides all that how are they mainstream?" Please explain to me if they aren't mainstream then what are they? Underground?
Nong's Avatar Nong
03-17-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Oh, I am sorry, you are hung up on labels, and you didn't follow my advice. You just assigned Tool's art as mainstream because you project artificial subjectives onto their music through what you have experienced from the mainstream media, TV, and radio. I am sorry that you haven't been truely experienced. You are really missing out :::FROWN:::
Um, no. And you didn't answer the question.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #149
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Oh, I am sorry, you are hung up on labels, and you didn't follow my advice. You just assigned Tool's art as mainstream because you project artificial subjectives onto their music through what you have experienced from the mainstream media, TV, and radio. I am sorry that you haven't been truely experienced. You are really missing out :::FROWN:::
Um, no. And you didn't answer the question.
Nong's Avatar Nong
03-17-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I can't explain to you what they are, because you still think they are mainstream, and I can buy that you think they are.

Why does what I think effect wether or not you can explain your opinion?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #150
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I can't explain to you what they are, because you still think they are mainstream, and I can buy that you think they are.

Why does what I think effect wether or not you can explain your opinion?
Nong's Avatar Nong
03-18-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is a good question. If you had to label them something pertaining to their music I would say they have gained more of a following, or achieved cult status. OWWWW..I hate these terms. I really hate to put a spot on it. Could you help me?
No, I can't help you. Like I said they are somewhere in the middle I'd say. I don't think they are mainstream completely. They have a large following, get radio play, and all that. That's the only part about them I find mainstream. Musically they aren't. I think perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying. I would call them great, that's about all the help I can be.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #151
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Wow, that is a good question. If you had to label them something pertaining to their music I would say they have gained more of a following, or achieved cult status. OWWWW..I hate these terms. I really hate to put a spot on it. Could you help me?
No, I can't help you. Like I said they are somewhere in the middle I'd say. I don't think they are mainstream completely. They have a large following, get radio play, and all that. That's the only part about them I find mainstream. Musically they aren't. I think perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying. I would call them great, that's about all the help I can be.
AcidRain's Avatar AcidRain
03-18-2008, 02:54 PM

Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought of the majority. It is a term most often applied in the arts (i.e., music, literature, and performance). This includes:

something that is ordinary or usual;
something that is familiar to the masses;
something that is available to the general public

Mainstream music denotes music that is familiar and unthreatening to the masses, as for example popular music, pop music, middle of the road music, or soft rock; but it should be noted that older generations often dislike the mainstream taste of the youth, and may not agree as to what is or is not mainstream. Mainstream jazz is generally seen as an evolution of be-bop, which was originally regarded as radical.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #152
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 14

Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought of the majority. It is a term most often applied in the arts (i.e., music, literature, and performance). This includes:

something that is ordinary or usual;
something that is familiar to the masses;
something that is available to the general public

Mainstream music denotes music that is familiar and unthreatening to the masses, as for example popular music, pop music, middle of the road music, or soft rock; but it should be noted that older generations often dislike the mainstream taste of the youth, and may not agree as to what is or is not mainstream. Mainstream jazz is generally seen as an evolution of be-bop, which was originally regarded as radical.
Nong's Avatar Nong
03-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I know we are beating this horse to death here. So mainstream {musically speaking} they have had some tendancies toward this label? Like the grammys, MTV/Radio, those parts of Tool are considered mainstream? Yet what they offer on other levels, they are not?
Yeah kind of. I wouldn't even say musically speaking. I don't think their musical sound is mainstream at all. But this,
Quote:
Like the grammys, MTV/Radio, those parts of Tool are considered mainstream?
is exactly what I'm trying to say.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #153
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I know we are beating this horse to death here. So mainstream {musically speaking} they have had some tendancies toward this label? Like the grammys, MTV/Radio, those parts of Tool are considered mainstream? Yet what they offer on other levels, they are not?
Yeah kind of. I wouldn't even say musically speaking. I don't think their musical sound is mainstream at all. But this,
Quote:
Like the grammys, MTV/Radio, those parts of Tool are considered mainstream?
is exactly what I'm trying to say.
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
03-19-2008, 04:59 PM

1) King Crimson - Especially on Red
2) The Melvins
3) Led Zeppelin - Not so much for the sound, but for their mysticism
Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #154
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

2) The Melvins
03-20-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay View Post
2) The Melvins
Can agree with this.

The horse is dead and beaten to a bloody pulp, toss it into the stream and let it's main sink with the Undertow ^
Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 AM   #155
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay View Post
2) The Melvins
Can agree with this.

The horse is dead and beaten to a bloody pulp, toss it into the stream and let it's main sink with the Undertow ^
03-20-2008, 03:00 PM

Yeah this thread is done in all senses of the word
Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #156
Level 14 - Squad Blazer

Bincount™: 2148

Yeah this thread is done in all senses of the word
Inmate_666
03-27-2008, 10:48 PM

similar wise?
Well I can say that from a creative/genius comparison (of the music I listen to),
1. NIN, I mean Trent Reznor is amazing. Hands down this was the first bands that came to mind

2. Pink Floyd... Im a huge fan and I must give them number 2 because they one of the most creative bands (The story to the Wall is great).

3. Rush wouldnt be a bad choice, there Prog Rock stuff is what I am thinking of. Its kinda open really...
Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #157
Level 1 - Lurker

similar wise?
Well I can say that from a creative/genius comparison (of the music I listen to),
1. NIN, I mean Trent Reznor is amazing. Hands down this was the first bands that came to mind

2. Pink Floyd... Im a huge fan and I must give them number 2 because they one of the most creative bands (The story to the Wall is great).

3. Rush wouldnt be a bad choice, there Prog Rock stuff is what I am thinking of. Its kinda open really...
cgraham
03-28-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nradd99 View Post
I think we can all agree that Tool has there own distinctive sound. However, people have to see some similarities.

1. Isis
2. 10 Years
3. Chevelle
Other's disagree but I think Chevelle fits perfect. They have some very cool unorthadox movements in the songs that make me think Tool everytime.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #158
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I think we can all agree that Tool has there own distinctive sound. However, people have to see some similarities.

1. Isis
2. 10 Years
3. Chevelle
Other's disagree but I think Chevelle fits perfect. They have some very cool unorthadox movements in the songs that make me think Tool everytime.
Jean Baptiste Spears
03-28-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:

1. Isis
2. 10 Years
3. Chevelle
nope.

if anything: King Crimson, Yes, and Pink Floyd. The latter for the subject matter and the two former for intricate(ish) meters and style.

that guy from chevelle is a punk.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #159
Banned.

Quote:

1. Isis
2. 10 Years
3. Chevelle
nope.

if anything: King Crimson, Yes, and Pink Floyd. The latter for the subject matter and the two former for intricate(ish) meters and style.

that guy from chevelle is a punk.
toolfreak0802
05-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Apparatus is kinda like tool.
they are instrumental, progressive, industrial,
but have allot of tool hints.. i love the sound..
http://apparatusband.yolasite.com/
Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #160
Level 1 - Lurker

Apparatus is kinda like tool.
they are instrumental, progressive, industrial,
but have allot of tool hints.. i love the sound..
http://apparatusband.yolasite.com/

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply