opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 AM   #81
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/22 - Detroit, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoms View Post
i stick my browned thumb out at the people who think they're critics and just sit at shows and expect to be entertained cuz' they bought tickets, and think they can just turn their nose down and cross their arms and say, 'entertain me, tool'.
This hit the thumb on the nail, methinks. Think about it, if ISIS sucks so bad, why did TOOL have them on tour? I saw them with Meshuggah(sp?) for the Inside The Outside tour, and while I wasn't too into the scream-metal of Meshuggah, I had to give them a fair shake. No other band is as TOOL as is TOOL. Get over it, that's what makes them so fucking cool. If you want homogeneous music, give me YOUR tickets for TOOL and go see Nickelback or some other hyper mainstream suck-o assrock.

Bottom line is, could you do 1/10th of what those guys do onstage? Probably not, so enjoy the show as is presented instead of bitching about what they didn't do, the venue, the fact that Maynard didn't have on his biker from hell outfit or whatever other sniveling piece of minutae you're going to let get in the way.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #82
Syd
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

First, of course I'm cool with people who disagree with my point of view, I am NOT an opinion Nazi. But, I think I must have been unclear in my post about the "rock album" theme. I was just trying to comment on a possible concert/costume theme they might be playing with right now. Just saying, hey, I personally doubt that Maynard walks around with that huge belt buckle on when he isn't in the public eye, any more than he walked around with a bra on. I personally loved the look and besides listening to the music my favorite part of the concert was watching Maynard move around on the stage and give us a show. I just felt it was more of a "classic rocker/punker" look than he use to portray. Didn't mean I didn't like it! Plus, it was NOT intended to be a slam or reflection on Tool's MUSIC at all. I could write on and on about how I feel about Tool's music and how much I have listened to them for over ten years. I think 10,000 days is incredible which is why I just had to be at this concert.

HOWEVER, in my earlier review I made some negative comments about the concert but that is what a review is for, to give an honest statement about your personal experience. I wish I would have listened to the other reviewers from previous shows who said the same thing about the floor and got myself different seats before the show, its not like ebay wasn't full of them (plus apparently ticketmaster released great front section seats before the show too.) It's ok to bitch a little about the arena, the crowd around us, the $43 shirts we bought anyway, and that we wished the set list was a little different. Despite our worship, they really aren't gods and they won't strike us down in our sleep!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:15 AM   #83
Level 1 - Lurker

Syd, my remarks weren't directed at you as much as the others who seem to have nothing in the way of constructive commentary.

And I agree about what the review is for. It's one thing to say, hey, floor seats sucked because of blah blah blah (look at my first post, that's what I did!) I should have read other reviews as well, but hey, by then the tickets were done bought. I think it's more of an issue of people letting certain things detract from the objective point of the experience when they're complaining about subjective things (like $38 shirts, of which I bought one, even though I didn't like shelling out that much cash.)

And for the record, I think this album is more "rock" than metal, so you were right on that point, at least in my mind. ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #84
Level 1 - Lurker

Columbus OHIO.........at the beginning maynard said .....round on the sides high in the middle......PAY ATTENTION STONERS! O-HI-O
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #85
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show.
I have a hard time finding the right adjectives to describe what I saw.
I expected a great show from (to me) the most influential, powerful band EVER.
But this went way beyond my expectations.

This is what I saw from sec. 217. And i didn't care what seat i had, I was just grateful to have one.Wasn't concerned with what songs they played, I love all of them. I was totally ready to have their powerful music vibrate my whole body. Tool came out ,that was pretty much all I needed. When they played the first songs though I did think to myself "where are all the lights and stuff i heard so much about?" Then during the build up of Jambi, much to my suprise, I saw the stage EXPLODE into like firey molten lava. Then for the rest of the night i was pretty much mezmorized/ hypnotized by the gigantic, pulsating, glowing orb below me. I kind of looked at the beginning of the show like foreplay, Tool foreplay, Then WHAM they jammed it to us. I loved every second of the show. They could have just hit us with a ton of cool effects at once, but no...they started out slowly with minimal effects and in perfect harmony with the music, eventually built up to a climax. And I love how all the visual images and effects seemed to portray and go with what each song was about. I think the whole show was meant to be watched and absorbed as an artist's perfomance piece. like a beautiful poem, not to be memorized or read through quickly, but to be absorbed and pondered over.Not something to just headbang and rock out too. It left me in awe, and speechless.

Then i came here to read what others thought about this awesome display, but it saddens and dissapoints me to read such negative crap about this. Why the he!! does it matter if they missed a beat at this song or whatever. Personally i didn't see any what you call screw ups. They are just normal dudes like anyone else, I give Maynard much credit for what he did, the poor guy was sick or something, enough to cancel 2 shows, I mean when you call into work because your sick you piss off just your co- workers. He had thousands and thousands of people dissapointed, how do you think that felt? When your sick you probably crawl up in a ball and cry and whine on your couch with your tv remote. I know i do. He Freakin rocked us. They all did. I don't see how you can even complain about anything at that show.

With lyrics like: " embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel conected enough to stop aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain.With my feet upon the ground i move myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in , I feel it move across my skin ." Obviously Tool pours their heart and soul out on stage everynight. Tool performs with everything they have.

Did anyone not see that stage!!!???...tell me who else has created something like that..Who, anymore goes above and beyond and walks the extra mile and takes it a step further.
I don't know maybe you couldn't grasp the full magnitude of it from the lower seats.

Thank-you TOOL for that show..totally blew me away. Really, was like one of the coolest/amazing things i've ever seen.

But then what do I know, i'm just a girl from the U.P and we don't have things like malls, a walmart within 50 miles, or high speed internet. And we have to eat squirrels, to survive the harsh winters.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #86
Syd
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovetool View Post
I don't know maybe you couldn't grasp the full magnitude of it from the lower seats.
BINGO! From the floor you lose the full visual experience.

But, I thought I was going to have a stroke I was so excited when they played Jambi. Wings was beyond explaining. The visual I will always recall from this show is Maynard back in jacket and hat standing at the keyboards singing while Adam stood to the side playing Wings. I couldn't move. Not at all. Not even when it kicked in the guitar riffs and others were headbanging again. I just felt this music going into me and was like, holy crap, they are really playing this. I will always be thankful that I saw them play that live. Then later, Rosetta stoned - I couldn't hold still. Those three songs were amazingly powerful.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: