Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-28-2006, 12:26 AM

:) This thread has lost me. My words are there, read them if you want (1st page). I dont know if my answer was taken seriously or not, but either way, I hope all of you have an enjoyable weekend, and that you find the self that each of you are seeking in your lives!

Regards,

FistFck

Spiral Out! (Or In, if that is your preference (no sexual puns intended))
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Old 04-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #41
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
Re: Maynard = asshole?

:) This thread has lost me. My words are there, read them if you want (1st page). I dont know if my answer was taken seriously or not, but either way, I hope all of you have an enjoyable weekend, and that you find the self that each of you are seeking in your lives!

Regards,

FistFck

Spiral Out! (Or In, if that is your preference (no sexual puns intended))
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
OFFLINE |  
s ti N Kfizt's Avatar s ti N Kfizt
04-28-2006, 12:28 AM

what a STUPID thread.. shut the * up!!!!!!!

sorry, had to.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:28 AM   #42
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 706

what a STUPID thread.. shut the * up!!!!!!!

sorry, had to.
OFFLINE |  
themayanlion
04-28-2006, 12:29 AM

sometimes people are assholes, who cares. it's not like you're friends with him.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

sometimes people are assholes, who cares. it's not like you're friends with him.
OFFLINE |  
panchochichi
04-28-2006, 12:31 AM

im just noting that theres a huge discrepancy between
the man who belittles people who dont even deserve it
and the man who writes lyrics like
im here to heal the broken and damaged met along the way..
everyone is waging their own personal war deep down..
would you take a heaping shit on a dog dying in the street?
no?
then why would he consistently treat your average joe like he's less than...
Old 04-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #44
On Probation

no?
OFFLINE |  
WilliamGraves
04-28-2006, 12:31 AM

anyone here notice a connection between the 10k days artwork and the lyrics for the SONG Laterlus ((This is not hoax/conspiracy shit....just thought i was a col coincidence))

Black then white are all i see = the art on the disc itself
red and yellow then ame to be = the yellow/orange/red side panels around the disc ((web of being?))
Old 04-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #45
On Probation

Bincount™: 4

anyone here notice a connection between the 10k days artwork and the lyrics for the SONG Laterlus ((This is not hoax/conspiracy shit....just thought i was a col coincidence))

red and yellow then ame to be = the yellow/orange/red side panels around the disc ((web of being?))
OFFLINE |  
themayanlion
04-28-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchochichi
no?
"sometimes, people are just assholes"
Old 04-28-2006, 12:39 AM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
no?
"sometimes, people are just assholes"
OFFLINE |  
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-28-2006, 12:41 AM

good night guys. its 4:40 AM here, and I have to be up at 7 am. Sigh, I wish we were allowed the opportunity to forgo sleep. How much it has consumed my life...

Spiral Out my fellow Tooligans
Old 04-28-2006, 12:41 AM   #47
Level 7 - Loquacious

good night guys. its 4:40 AM here, and I have to be up at 7 am. Sigh, I wish we were allowed the opportunity to forgo sleep. How much it has consumed my life...

Spiral Out my fellow Tooligans
OFFLINE |  
soydeedo
04-28-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamGraves

heh. very cool observation. =)
Old 04-28-2006, 12:42 AM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

heh. very cool observation. =)
OFFLINE |  
tcM_Emperor
04-28-2006, 12:48 AM

How could you not be an asshole to that interviewer? His bouncing stuttering moronic personality drove me insane just watching the video, actually standing there with him would make me want to kill him. Good job to Maynard for being able to keep his composure.

"So are you guys like gonna play in a tent with big screens?" ...

Last edited by tcM_Emperor; 04-28-2006 at 12:52 AM..
Old 04-28-2006, 12:48 AM   #49
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12

How could you not be an asshole to that interviewer? His bouncing stuttering moronic personality drove me insane just watching the video, actually standing there with him would make me want to kill him. Good job to Maynard for being able to keep his composure.

"So are you guys like gonna play in a tent with big screens?" ...

Last edited by tcM_Emperor; 04-28-2006 at 12:52 AM..
OFFLINE |  
tDoXoMl
04-28-2006, 12:59 AM

I think he acts like an asshole so geeks dont bother him on the street. Hes too successfull to be like that all the time. I mean its not like hes not gonna move on from his mothers death and his fathers abuse or whatever. Hes just too dam rich, and gets too much pussy. My two cents
Old 04-28-2006, 12:59 AM   #50
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 70

I think he acts like an asshole so geeks dont bother him on the street. Hes too successfull to be like that all the time. I mean its not like hes not gonna move on from his mothers death and his fathers abuse or whatever. Hes just too dam rich, and gets too much pussy. My two cents
OFFLINE |  
Code of the Streets
04-28-2006, 01:00 AM

Can someone point me to a (relatively recent) interview or two (preferrably video clip) where he doesn't look like he wants to strangle the interviewer? Maybe even cracking a smile? ...or is this just who he is, regardless of the situation he's in?

I'm not being sarcastic or anything I genuinely want to see one, I haven't really watched many interviews of him.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:00 AM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Can someone point me to a (relatively recent) interview or two (preferrably video clip) where he doesn't look like he wants to strangle the interviewer? Maybe even cracking a smile? ...or is this just who he is, regardless of the situation he's in?

I'm not being sarcastic or anything I genuinely want to see one, I haven't really watched many interviews of him.
OFFLINE |  
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-28-2006, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tDoXoMl

Read wordsmith's link.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:00 AM   #52
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:

Read wordsmith's link.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
mmortal03's Avatar mmortal03
04-28-2006, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
And there I was thinking I was doing somethig worthwhile mentioning my relevant point of view. Sorry Wordsmith, I forget there are people like you around...
Yeah, I don't know what the deal was with his comment. The points you made were insightful.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:03 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
And there I was thinking I was doing somethig worthwhile mentioning my relevant point of view. Sorry Wordsmith, I forget there are people like you around...
Yeah, I don't know what the deal was with his comment. The points you made were insightful.
OFFLINE |  
MantisMandibles's Avatar MantisMandibles
04-28-2006, 01:11 AM

It could be he just doesn't have the appropriate social skills to NOT come across as an asshole. I know that's the case with myself, and with many people with an anxiety or personality disorder. It's hard to smile and pretend everything's cool when all you want to do is GET THE FUCK OUT of whatever excruciatingly awkward situation you're in. Compound that with a full blown case of celebrity, and you've got the perfect ingredients for an aloof wise-ass like the Nard.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:11 AM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 230

It could be he just doesn't have the appropriate social skills to NOT come across as an asshole. I know that's the case with myself, and with many people with an anxiety or personality disorder. It's hard to smile and pretend everything's cool when all you want to do is GET THE FUCK OUT of whatever excruciatingly awkward situation you're in. Compound that with a full blown case of celebrity, and you've got the perfect ingredients for an aloof wise-ass like the Nard.
OFFLINE |  
Octopod's Avatar Octopod
04-28-2006, 01:26 AM

Lots of artists have been assholes. It's a long, grand tradition. Wagner and Picasso were complete egomaniacs that were known for public indignations towards fans. Salvador Dali basically abandoned all his old friends and family when he got swept up by his own popularity. Hemingway was a major asshole. Jack Nicholson, John Lennon, countless athletes... some people just rarely mix well with thier public image.

It never means much, though, when you focus where you should: their art. I never enjoy meeting artists. I don't even bother any more. I realized one day that the thing I'm really interested in is their art. I'm not interested in what they have to say about it. What they think about it has little to do with how I will experience it. It is THE MOST awkward thing in the world to speak with someone you admire after they play a show or show their work, because once you put on the "fanboy" mask, it is impossible for them to be themselves with you. They might act nice and sign something, but that doesn't change the fact that the whole situation is forced and unnatural. If they have the propensity for being a jerk to people that act all nervous and earnest, then I'm not surprised at all when it happens that way.

I don't expect artists to be like politicians. In fact, I'd be more sickened if they were. It'd be nice if they were polite to everyone, but when people can't be themselves around a musician, what do you expect? If that guy had been totally calm and natural, the results would probably have been different. I actually didn't think his questions were that bad.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:26 AM   #55

Lots of artists have been assholes. It's a long, grand tradition. Wagner and Picasso were complete egomaniacs that were known for public indignations towards fans. Salvador Dali basically abandoned all his old friends and family when he got swept up by his own popularity. Hemingway was a major asshole. Jack Nicholson, John Lennon, countless athletes... some people just rarely mix well with thier public image.

It never means much, though, when you focus where you should: their art. I never enjoy meeting artists. I don't even bother any more. I realized one day that the thing I'm really interested in is their art. I'm not interested in what they have to say about it. What they think about it has little to do with how I will experience it. It is THE MOST awkward thing in the world to speak with someone you admire after they play a show or show their work, because once you put on the "fanboy" mask, it is impossible for them to be themselves with you. They might act nice and sign something, but that doesn't change the fact that the whole situation is forced and unnatural. If they have the propensity for being a jerk to people that act all nervous and earnest, then I'm not surprised at all when it happens that way.

I don't expect artists to be like politicians. In fact, I'd be more sickened if they were. It'd be nice if they were polite to everyone, but when people can't be themselves around a musician, what do you expect? If that guy had been totally calm and natural, the results would probably have been different. I actually didn't think his questions were that bad.
04-28-2006, 01:30 AM

I didn't really think Maynard was being an ass in this particular case, but I agree that he possibly has been in others. This time he just wasn't going to humor the guy just because it was an interview. Yeah, he doesn't come off as "nice" here, but then I don't think he was being indecent either, and being personable is not a requirement, just an admirable quality. Who knows what Maynard thinks about being gracious to people? I think graciousness is important, but who knows what he thinks. He could have been thinking that this interview was detrimental to the total package that Tool is promoting, but you'll never know.

Yeah, he could have been friendly to the guy, and tried to understand where the guy was coming from, like Danny was, (I think Danny, however, was cussing the interviewer under his breath) but Maynard might see that as himself having to be fake.

By the way, that interview really needed to chill out.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:30 AM   #56

I didn't really think Maynard was being an ass in this particular case, but I agree that he possibly has been in others. This time he just wasn't going to humor the guy just because it was an interview. Yeah, he doesn't come off as "nice" here, but then I don't think he was being indecent either, and being personable is not a requirement, just an admirable quality. Who knows what Maynard thinks about being gracious to people? I think graciousness is important, but who knows what he thinks. He could have been thinking that this interview was detrimental to the total package that Tool is promoting, but you'll never know.

Yeah, he could have been friendly to the guy, and tried to understand where the guy was coming from, like Danny was, (I think Danny, however, was cussing the interviewer under his breath) but Maynard might see that as himself having to be fake.

By the way, that interview really needed to chill out.
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
04-28-2006, 01:36 AM

people! he's been an asshole since day 1. cool and chill guy with a cool wit? THAT GUY IS A FUCKING ASSHOLE. and so am i, and so should you. end of story!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:36 AM   #57
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

people! he's been an asshole since day 1. cool and chill guy with a cool wit? THAT GUY IS A FUCKING ASSHOLE. and so am i, and so should you. end of story!
04-28-2006, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry

The world makes sense now.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:16 AM   #58
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry

The world makes sense now.
OFFLINE |  
Bodhi
04-28-2006, 02:38 AM

Eddie Vedder is the coolest.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:38 AM   #59
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

04-28-2006, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi
My baby's in love with him ;(

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:41 AM   #60
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi
My baby's in love with him ;(

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
Nebel
04-28-2006, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSmith v2.0
Shake your fist at the gates saying:
--- he got fisted -- stinkfist makes more sense now

I have come home now.
-- play on words --- CUM

Fetch me the spirit.
- fetch .. dogs... beastiality.. maynards mom made him suck off goats

The son, and the father. --
both of them got to enjoy his mom

Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
pillar = maynards DICK which was in his moms ass

It's time now, my time now.
to get naked and party

Give me my, give me my, wings.
drinks rebull so he can fuck his crip mom in the anallove
You're a dick. Maynard is an asshole but you can't talk at all.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:50 AM   #61
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:

I have come home now.
-- play on words --- CUM

Fetch me the spirit.

to get naked and party

You're a dick. Maynard is an asshole but you can't talk at all.
OFFLINE |  
clemheth
04-28-2006, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallofCthulhu
No. But I GUARANTEE you that if you saw Maynard walking down the street and you said, not in a psychotic fan type of way, just "Hey Maynard! Whats up man?!" He'd ether blow by you or say some smart ass snide remark. Yea, he tries to protect his personal image by not getting too intimate with the fans, but to just stop and chat with a fan...........I mean come on. You're buying his records and putting food on his child's plate and he knows it would make your day to just chat with your rock star idol, but instead he chooses to piss on you.

Exactly, so the best thing to say to Maynard in the street:
(in a loud imitative shout)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOU BUDDY,
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOU BUDDY.

Then he would know you're a fan, and that he's a cunt.

Plus on this album he has no right to be smug, his vocals are the weakest part.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:02 AM   #62
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallofCthulhu
No. But I GUARANTEE you that if you saw Maynard walking down the street and you said, not in a psychotic fan type of way, just "Hey Maynard! Whats up man?!" He'd ether blow by you or say some smart ass snide remark. Yea, he tries to protect his personal image by not getting too intimate with the fans, but to just stop and chat with a fan...........I mean come on. You're buying his records and putting food on his child's plate and he knows it would make your day to just chat with your rock star idol, but instead he chooses to piss on you.

Exactly, so the best thing to say to Maynard in the street:
(in a loud imitative shout)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOU BUDDY,
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK YOU BUDDY.

Then he would know you're a fan, and that he's a cunt.

Plus on this album he has no right to be smug, his vocals are the weakest part.
OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/text/mjklog.jun.97.html
if you think maynard isn't an asshole
"Guest 272: TOOL AND MANSON SHOULD TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MK: 272 should leave the room"

"Guest 113: MJK - IS THAT YOU DOING THE COMEDY THIG AT THE BEGINING OF 3RD EYE?
MK: no that's bill hicks dickwad "

"Guest 361: you still have not responded to my question
MK: what was your question fuckwad"

Hahahahahaha, ok, so sometimes he is a funny asshole, but seriously, for most of that read you'd think it was a fucking bot replying.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:07 AM   #63
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/text/mjklog.jun.97.html
if you think maynard isn't an asshole
"Guest 272: TOOL AND MANSON SHOULD TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MK: 272 should leave the room"

"Guest 113: MJK - IS THAT YOU DOING THE COMEDY THIG AT THE BEGINING OF 3RD EYE?
MK: no that's bill hicks dickwad "

"Guest 361: you still have not responded to my question
MK: what was your question fuckwad"

Hahahahahaha, ok, so sometimes he is a funny asshole, but seriously, for most of that read you'd think it was a fucking bot replying.
OFFLINE |  
2and46's Avatar 2and46
04-28-2006, 03:22 AM

Quote:
MJK reminds me of my bi-polar friend. When i go to visit him I'm never sure if I'm gonna end up with the asshole version or the cool version of him. He's kinda like an eccentric visual artist, rarely interviewed and rarely sociable in public forumn. I'd probably be like him if I was in his shoes. Just cause he provides us with an artfom doesn't mean he has to put on his tap shoes and dance for our amusement.

P.S.-Rubb you made me spill my drink LOL
"Maynard probably has an asshole yes."
I've often wondered the same thing. Disposition is a psychological term used to describe someone's emotional presentation. "Watch the weather change" speaks to this possible lability in mood.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:22 AM   #64
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:
MJK reminds me of my bi-polar friend. When i go to visit him I'm never sure if I'm gonna end up with the asshole version or the cool version of him. He's kinda like an eccentric visual artist, rarely interviewed and rarely sociable in public forumn. I'd probably be like him if I was in his shoes. Just cause he provides us with an artfom doesn't mean he has to put on his tap shoes and dance for our amusement.

P.S.-Rubb you made me spill my drink LOL
"Maynard probably has an asshole yes."
I've often wondered the same thing. Disposition is a psychological term used to describe someone's emotional presentation. "Watch the weather change" speaks to this possible lability in mood.
OFFLINE |  
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
04-28-2006, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Nailed it. "11 and she was gone"? come on.
by his mom's boyfriend?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:26 AM   #65
Banned.

Bincount™: 3972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Nailed it. "11 and she was gone"? come on.
by his mom's boyfriend?
OFFLINE |  
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
04-28-2006, 03:29 AM

Quote:
I think you are believing what you want to believe. He probably acts like an asshole because he is an asshole.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:29 AM   #66
Banned.

Quote:
I think you are believing what you want to believe. He probably acts like an asshole because he is an asshole.
OFFLINE |  
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
04-28-2006, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
yeah, but bipolar? not a trace of mania in the lyrics and he seems not at all manic in concerts. he just stands there (at least the 5 times I've seen him). he doesn't even seem depressed. i don' t think he's got a psychological disorder, i think he's just arrogant, at least in interviews. maybe he just hates doing interviews. i dunno.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:32 AM   #67
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
yeah, but bipolar? not a trace of mania in the lyrics and he seems not at all manic in concerts. he just stands there (at least the 5 times I've seen him). he doesn't even seem depressed. i don' t think he's got a psychological disorder, i think he's just arrogant, at least in interviews. maybe he just hates doing interviews. i dunno.
OFFLINE |  
2and46's Avatar 2and46
04-28-2006, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Mack
I'm not saying he's bi-polar. Bi-polar disorder is diagnosed based on extreme moods. Manic to major depression. I'd find it hard to believe he would have achieved this level of success if he had such a disease. I still maintain Disposition is about personality disorders, but it could be from people he's known (like a girlfriend) not himself.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:42 AM   #68
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Mack
I'm not saying he's bi-polar. Bi-polar disorder is diagnosed based on extreme moods. Manic to major depression. I'd find it hard to believe he would have achieved this level of success if he had such a disease. I still maintain Disposition is about personality disorders, but it could be from people he's known (like a girlfriend) not himself.
OFFLINE |  
badshirt
04-28-2006, 03:47 AM

I once read an interview where he says its his job to write, record music and perform. He was basically saying he's not being paid to be your friend.

That being said: being cool to somebody just saying hello and not freaking out shouldn't be too much to ask. If you see him why don't you try? You'll never know unless you do and probably shouldn't judge. I wouldn't exactly approach him if he was with his child because its just off limits. I might not even approach him at a show while being swarmed by fans backstage.

And being asked the same stupid questions is probably irritating to somebody with a propensity for being an asshole in those situations.

I do agree with him in the sense that he is not being paid to be a friend. He never really puts his image out there and is not specifically recognizable (nothing distinguishing about his appearance): I think that is for a reason.

All of that being said: he still shouldn't be a dick.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:47 AM   #69
Level 7 - Loquacious

I once read an interview where he says its his job to write, record music and perform. He was basically saying he's not being paid to be your friend.

That being said: being cool to somebody just saying hello and not freaking out shouldn't be too much to ask. If you see him why don't you try? You'll never know unless you do and probably shouldn't judge. I wouldn't exactly approach him if he was with his child because its just off limits. I might not even approach him at a show while being swarmed by fans backstage.

And being asked the same stupid questions is probably irritating to somebody with a propensity for being an asshole in those situations.

I do agree with him in the sense that he is not being paid to be a friend. He never really puts his image out there and is not specifically recognizable (nothing distinguishing about his appearance): I think that is for a reason.

All of that being said: he still shouldn't be a dick.
OFFLINE |  
MorfiusX
04-28-2006, 03:55 AM

Art is an expression of self. We pretty much all agree that Tool's music is art. What I have a problem with is how Tool's music "preaches" thinking, acceptance and inner divinity. But in interviews, Maynard is not really accpetant of anyone else. I find this hypocrytical. Sure, Good Charolette and Limp Bizkit suck. But, who is Maynard to judge them? Who's to say they aren't following their hearts with their music. You don't have to like something to be tollerant of it.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:55 AM   #70

Art is an expression of self. We pretty much all agree that Tool's music is art. What I have a problem with is how Tool's music "preaches" thinking, acceptance and inner divinity. But in interviews, Maynard is not really accpetant of anyone else. I find this hypocrytical. Sure, Good Charolette and Limp Bizkit suck. But, who is Maynard to judge them? Who's to say they aren't following their hearts with their music. You don't have to like something to be tollerant of it.
OFFLINE |  
Seethus
04-28-2006, 03:55 AM

Quote:

I have come home now.
-- play on words --- CUM

Fetch me the spirit.

to get naked and party

Lol I hope the OP realised this is a post completely bagging you out.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:55 AM   #71

Quote:

I have come home now.
-- play on words --- CUM

Fetch me the spirit.

to get naked and party

Lol I hope the OP realised this is a post completely bagging you out.
04-28-2006, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorfiusX
Good point, dude. And whey you're the age they were when they (Limp Bizkit etc...) started playing that is just what you do. I think Tool started relatively late (compared to most of those bands) and it was a good thing. If they started 10 years earlier maybe it would be a mess. Having a broader perspective and more experience behind you in life is a big deal when writing music / art or forming a band.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:59 AM   #72
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorfiusX
Good point, dude. And whey you're the age they were when they (Limp Bizkit etc...) started playing that is just what you do. I think Tool started relatively late (compared to most of those bands) and it was a good thing. If they started 10 years earlier maybe it would be a mess. Having a broader perspective and more experience behind you in life is a big deal when writing music / art or forming a band.
OFFLINE |  
Neuromancer's Avatar Neuromancer
04-28-2006, 04:03 AM

I just quickly read throught the posts in this thread and I have to agree with Maynard. I wouldn't want most of you guys to come up to me and talk to me either...
Albert Einstein
Old 04-28-2006, 04:03 AM   #73
Level 4 - Thinker

I just quickly read throught the posts in this thread and I have to agree with Maynard. I wouldn't want most of you guys to come up to me and talk to me either...
Albert Einstein
OFFLINE |  
Ant
04-28-2006, 04:05 AM

Guest 354: its a man on his knees screaming..i made it out of bone..Ill give it to ya at the show..Ill throw it up on stage
MK: don't throw anything toward the stage
MK: you'll get thrown out...
MK: send it to the address on the album cover.
Guest 354: Maynard..Can I give it to someone to hand to ya? Maybe a guard?
MK: sure
MK: like I'm gonna carry it around for the rest of th etour in my fuckin luggage

Haha. Fair play. Made me laugh.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:05 AM   #74
Ant
Level 3 - Talker

Guest 354: its a man on his knees screaming..i made it out of bone..Ill give it to ya at the show..Ill throw it up on stage
MK: like I'm gonna carry it around for the rest of th etour in my fuckin luggage

OFFLINE |  
badshirt
04-28-2006, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant

That is pretty funny. And the fan is being a knucklehead.

It must be nice to have people give you free shit all day long.

Last edited by badshirt; 04-28-2006 at 04:11 AM..
Old 04-28-2006, 04:07 AM   #75
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant

That is pretty funny. And the fan is being a knucklehead.

It must be nice to have people give you free shit all day long.

Last edited by badshirt; 04-28-2006 at 04:11 AM..
OFFLINE |  
champion's Avatar champion
04-28-2006, 04:09 AM

I just think he doesn't like being publicized very much, and that's entirely his preference, and a very understandable one. As he stated in a recent interview, just because he's in a band doesn't mean he has to think a certain way. If you think he's an asshole because he's not cheery during interviews, that's your prerogative. I think he interviews well because he's himself.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #76
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

I just think he doesn't like being publicized very much, and that's entirely his preference, and a very understandable one. As he stated in a recent interview, just because he's in a band doesn't mean he has to think a certain way. If you think he's an asshole because he's not cheery during interviews, that's your prerogative. I think he interviews well because he's himself.
OFFLINE |  
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-28-2006, 04:26 AM

he is INFJ

for those of you who don't know what this means, just google it. I don't know if this offers an explanation, but it does offer some insight.

At first it appears as some corny self help pop psychology crap, but it's based directly off Jungian principles so there is some (if not alot of) validity to it.

He's not intentionally a dick he's just highly protective of himself, and in this world a person like him really does need to be, or people will try and squeeze blood out of you like a turnip.

Anyway, it's just my theory, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one. My 2 cents.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:26 AM   #77
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

he is INFJ

for those of you who don't know what this means, just google it. I don't know if this offers an explanation, but it does offer some insight.

At first it appears as some corny self help pop psychology crap, but it's based directly off Jungian principles so there is some (if not alot of) validity to it.

He's not intentionally a dick he's just highly protective of himself, and in this world a person like him really does need to be, or people will try and squeeze blood out of you like a turnip.

Anyway, it's just my theory, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one. My 2 cents.
04-28-2006, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic
he is INFJ

Your absolutelty right. What do these brats want? Fuckin boycott TOOL if you think your hard earned money is buying the character outside of TOOL...... don't buy the album. I'd rather him save every piece of who he is with TOOL and express it on the music and stage. Who the fuck cares about Maynard outside of TOOL or his other creative outlets? That's what he chooses so be it. He's not running for the peoples republic you MTV saturated robots. Wait let me guess..... you want an autograph and a "stop and chat" when you see him at your local Wal Mart. This is what ruins the core of mystery and reserve for talented artists........ shitty fans that feel entitled to something outside of the cd they paid for. Thank god he doesn't meet with some of you, I think there wouldn't be our beloved TOOL, if he met talking monkeys like the ingrates on here..... myself included.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:11 AM   #78
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic
he is INFJ

Your absolutelty right. What do these brats want? Fuckin boycott TOOL if you think your hard earned money is buying the character outside of TOOL...... don't buy the album. I'd rather him save every piece of who he is with TOOL and express it on the music and stage. Who the fuck cares about Maynard outside of TOOL or his other creative outlets? That's what he chooses so be it. He's not running for the peoples republic you MTV saturated robots. Wait let me guess..... you want an autograph and a "stop and chat" when you see him at your local Wal Mart. This is what ruins the core of mystery and reserve for talented artists........ shitty fans that feel entitled to something outside of the cd they paid for. Thank god he doesn't meet with some of you, I think there wouldn't be our beloved TOOL, if he met talking monkeys like the ingrates on here..... myself included.
OFFLINE |  
Artemis
04-28-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I enjoy tools music and have never invested much time in understanding their personalities until recently when i was curious to see what they behaved like in interviews. If i was just to judge maynards personality by his lyrics i would imagine a smiling polite guy, who cares deep down for people, with an edge of cynical wit.
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is. Maybe he does this so that dumbasses dont look up to him, or maybe he's truly this way but i have to wonder why its so hard for him to smile and relax and break the monotone voice mold. How insecure is he that he has to use his cold expressionless demeanor to make people insecure and submit to him?
I remember that i met mike patton when i was 18 after a concert and i was nervous at first thinking maybe he's some egotistical rock star, but the guy took the time to talk with me over 30 minutes about life in general. He laughed and joked around, he didnt take himself seriously.
Honestly why do so many fucktards on this board look to maynard as some amazing intellectual because he likes apocalypse now and can say a few snide remarks in an interview. I still love tools music and appreciate maynards talent but from observing his treatment of others he can go fuck himself

Fuck it he's allowed to be after what he has given us over the years.

Seriously tho, i just saw the Holland MTV clip and Maynard is as big a prick as Danny is a nice guy. Good cop bad cop..
Old 04-28-2006, 05:15 AM   #79
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I enjoy tools music and have never invested much time in understanding their personalities until recently when i was curious to see what they behaved like in interviews. If i was just to judge maynards personality by his lyrics i would imagine a smiling polite guy, who cares deep down for people, with an edge of cynical wit.
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is. Maybe he does this so that dumbasses dont look up to him, or maybe he's truly this way but i have to wonder why its so hard for him to smile and relax and break the monotone voice mold. How insecure is he that he has to use his cold expressionless demeanor to make people insecure and submit to him?
I remember that i met mike patton when i was 18 after a concert and i was nervous at first thinking maybe he's some egotistical rock star, but the guy took the time to talk with me over 30 minutes about life in general. He laughed and joked around, he didnt take himself seriously.
Honestly why do so many fucktards on this board look to maynard as some amazing intellectual because he likes apocalypse now and can say a few snide remarks in an interview. I still love tools music and appreciate maynards talent but from observing his treatment of others he can go fuck himself

Fuck it he's allowed to be after what he has given us over the years.

Seriously tho, i just saw the Holland MTV clip and Maynard is as big a prick as Danny is a nice guy. Good cop bad cop..
OFFLINE |  
Juanjay
04-28-2006, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_for_night
you people need to grow some balls.

"boohoo he was mean. wwwaaaahhhhh"

grow up and live in the real world...people dont have to be nice to you just cause they are a public figure.
Agreed
Old 04-28-2006, 05:22 AM   #80
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_for_night
you people need to grow some balls.

"boohoo he was mean. wwwaaaahhhhh"

grow up and live in the real world...people dont have to be nice to you just cause they are a public figure.
Agreed
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply