Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 08-01-2009 at 08:32 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
08.01.09 - Jersey City, NJ @ All Points West Festival

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 08-01-2009 at 08:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
sonnyboy11's Avatar sonnyboy11
08-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Hi kids! Let's get this going.

Pretty good show tonight but very loose. May be a little too loose at times but ok. Maynard got completely lost during the "Fuck retro anything" part of Aenema. Danny had a couple of minor goofs too- one in Jambi I definitely noticed- but it was sort of an 'anything goes' kinda night!

There were a lot of good Maynardism's tonight. One in particular to the drummer from Drum Mayhem after his stint in Lateralus "Thanks for coming. Now get the fuck outta here! And take these drums with you. This isn't a storage space!".

Speaking of Lateralus, I noticed that Adam came out and played along with a fair amount of the drum duel. He had some interesting bits in there.

Sound-wise it was your typical outdoor show, although I have heard better. Still, we got a full set (minus Lost Keys) and I'd say I did not hear one negative comment from my New York brothers and sisters about the Tool performance while leaving. Everyone seemed happy.

As for All Points West. One word - MUD! A second word- MUD! A third... you see where I am going with this. Now, I am not exactly sure what anyone at Goldenvoice can do about said mud (sand and rocks on it maybe?) but this is easily the dirtiest damn festival I have ever attended. The line up in general was fine, with some decent performances from the likes of Arctic Monkeys. My Bloody Valentine in particular destroyed during the Sonic Holocaust and, much like I expected, I saw quite a few enraged Tool fans flipping them off. Still, there was a general air of civility to the messy proceedings at this one and I'm glad I went.

Tired now. Maybe more later but a good night. Peace out!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20
Re: 08.01.09 - Jersey City, NJ @ All Points West Festival

Hi kids! Let's get this going.

Pretty good show tonight but very loose. May be a little too loose at times but ok. Maynard got completely lost during the "Fuck retro anything" part of Aenema. Danny had a couple of minor goofs too- one in Jambi I definitely noticed- but it was sort of an 'anything goes' kinda night!

There were a lot of good Maynardism's tonight. One in particular to the drummer from Drum Mayhem after his stint in Lateralus "Thanks for coming. Now get the fuck outta here! And take these drums with you. This isn't a storage space!".

Speaking of Lateralus, I noticed that Adam came out and played along with a fair amount of the drum duel. He had some interesting bits in there.

Sound-wise it was your typical outdoor show, although I have heard better. Still, we got a full set (minus Lost Keys) and I'd say I did not hear one negative comment from my New York brothers and sisters about the Tool performance while leaving. Everyone seemed happy.

As for All Points West. One word - MUD! A second word- MUD! A third... you see where I am going with this. Now, I am not exactly sure what anyone at Goldenvoice can do about said mud (sand and rocks on it maybe?) but this is easily the dirtiest damn festival I have ever attended. The line up in general was fine, with some decent performances from the likes of Arctic Monkeys. My Bloody Valentine in particular destroyed during the Sonic Holocaust and, much like I expected, I saw quite a few enraged Tool fans flipping them off. Still, there was a general air of civility to the messy proceedings at this one and I'm glad I went.

Tired now. Maybe more later but a good night. Peace out!
OFFLINE |  
crincled
08-01-2009, 10:05 PM

just got back.

the show setup was amazing. the lights and the whole spectacle. but i thought basically that the show sucked. Tool just doesnt try to connect with the audience... it's all just a parade of (fucking awesome) sound and lights.

so for me it was meh.

PS: tool fans are fucking idiots, srsly.

edit: PPS: i was pleasantly surprised by Arctic Monkeys and My bloody valentine. that part where they just went off for 10 min or so was pretty cool. Pissing off an audience is usually amusing for me.

The mud didnt bother me.

Last edited by crincled; 08-01-2009 at 10:08 PM..
Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

just got back.

the show setup was amazing. the lights and the whole spectacle. but i thought basically that the show sucked. Tool just doesnt try to connect with the audience... it's all just a parade of (fucking awesome) sound and lights.

so for me it was meh.

edit: PPS: i was pleasantly surprised by Arctic Monkeys and My bloody valentine. that part where they just went off for 10 min or so was pretty cool. Pissing off an audience is usually amusing for me.

The mud didnt bother me.

Last edited by crincled; 08-01-2009 at 10:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
08-01-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crincled View Post
just got back.

so for me it was meh.

I looked for ya dude! But no luck. How'd ya like all that mud??

Edit- ah no problems with the mud? Welp, maybe that's just me!

Oh, and btw junior, I saw you a couple of times and was standing right next to the booth. I wanted to say something but you guys seemed pretty strapped for time and working hard to deal with the change over after My Bloody Valentine (Tool went on about 25 minutes late actually). But I'll catch ya one of these days! Oh, and in spite of Maynard's half-assed performance in Aenema, I still love what you do with those red lights during that one.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 08-01-2009 at 10:41 PM..
Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
just got back.

so for me it was meh.

I looked for ya dude! But no luck. How'd ya like all that mud??

Edit- ah no problems with the mud? Welp, maybe that's just me!

Oh, and btw junior, I saw you a couple of times and was standing right next to the booth. I wanted to say something but you guys seemed pretty strapped for time and working hard to deal with the change over after My Bloody Valentine (Tool went on about 25 minutes late actually). But I'll catch ya one of these days! Oh, and in spite of Maynard's half-assed performance in Aenema, I still love what you do with those red lights during that one.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 08-01-2009 at 10:41 PM..
OFFLINE |  
crincled
08-01-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
I looked for ya dude!
:( - i left the apt before i read your post on the other thread...

not having people to talk to maybe affected my experience... on the other hand, i remember going to see REM alone last year and enjoying it a lot more than this show...
Old 08-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
I looked for ya dude!

not having people to talk to maybe affected my experience... on the other hand, i remember going to see REM alone last year and enjoying it a lot more than this show...
OFFLINE |  
08-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Too bad we missed each other but I hear ya. Was the REM show a standalone show or a festival show like this was? Festival shows solo can kind of get to you because you're surrounded by 1000s of people yet still feel alone. That hit me at one point today. And then I promptly remembered life is good and had fun people watching!

Ok, I said I was going to bed and I really am this time. One other thing I noticed about the Tool performance is that there really was no break for Maynard to get out of the leather until right at the very end. I think he got stripped during the drumbsturbation now that I think about it.

46 and 2.. is 48!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:

Too bad we missed each other but I hear ya. Was the REM show a standalone show or a festival show like this was? Festival shows solo can kind of get to you because you're surrounded by 1000s of people yet still feel alone. That hit me at one point today. And then I promptly remembered life is good and had fun people watching!

Ok, I said I was going to bed and I really am this time. One other thing I noticed about the Tool performance is that there really was no break for Maynard to get out of the leather until right at the very end. I think he got stripped during the drumbsturbation now that I think about it.

46 and 2.. is 48!
OFFLINE |  
gkrebs's Avatar gkrebs
08-01-2009, 10:39 PM

This was the 4th time that I've seen Tool live. The last time was 1998, so the setlist was just fine with me. It was great to hear songs off of Lateralus and 10,000 Days live. I was really hoping for Pushit or Third Eye, but I'm still so thankful just for the chance to enjoy them live after all these years.
Gogol Bordello was a lot of muddy fun!!! I was only at the show to see them and Tool.
The mud was a pain in the ass, but not a deal breaker. I was at Woodstock 94...that was mud.
Maynard did not seem any different than I remember him from back in the day. Still a dick. That's why we love him.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

This was the 4th time that I've seen Tool live. The last time was 1998, so the setlist was just fine with me. It was great to hear songs off of Lateralus and 10,000 Days live. I was really hoping for Pushit or Third Eye, but I'm still so thankful just for the chance to enjoy them live after all these years.
Gogol Bordello was a lot of muddy fun!!! I was only at the show to see them and Tool.
The mud was a pain in the ass, but not a deal breaker. I was at Woodstock 94...that was mud.
Maynard did not seem any different than I remember him from back in the day. Still a dick. That's why we love him.
OFFLINE |  
macfreak's Avatar macfreak
08-01-2009, 11:14 PM

Hey guys just got back from the show, first Tool show for me, and i was just blown away, nothing new going on with the setlist but it was amazing, Maynard was great tonight and the songs sounded great .... Lights and stage just perfect...the mud was horrible, and in general I don't think the Festival was that great (whats going on with that band My Blooody Valentine??? 10 minutes on the same note.. Well amazing Tool show, just amazing
Old 08-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Hey guys just got back from the show, first Tool show for me, and i was just blown away, nothing new going on with the setlist but it was amazing, Maynard was great tonight and the songs sounded great .... Lights and stage just perfect...the mud was horrible, and in general I don't think the Festival was that great (whats going on with that band My Blooody Valentine??? 10 minutes on the same note.. Well amazing Tool show, just amazing
OFFLINE |  
mindlattice's Avatar mindlattice
08-02-2009, 01:08 AM

Good show. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Good show. Thanks.
OFFLINE |  
FadedX's Avatar FadedX
08-02-2009, 01:23 AM

i met adam jones on one of the last ferrys going back to NYC. ill post a full review later. the day was sick though. Danny Is Not Human
Old 08-02-2009, 01:23 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

i met adam jones on one of the last ferrys going back to NYC. ill post a full review later. the day was sick though. Danny Is Not Human
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
08-02-2009, 06:13 AM

another great show, setlist was the same, but a very good show, maynard seemed more into it than last night, from where i was maynards singing was a little low in the mix, so i just sang along, nh. tonight, and another great experiance, as each show in its own way is differnt, kudos to those getting the setlist posted so fast, spiral out brothers and sisters
Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

another great show, setlist was the same, but a very good show, maynard seemed more into it than last night, from where i was maynards singing was a little low in the mix, so i just sang along, nh. tonight, and another great experiance, as each show in its own way is differnt, kudos to those getting the setlist posted so fast, spiral out brothers and sisters
08-02-2009, 06:57 AM

Fun show. After 700+ days, I forgot how good Tool was live. When Jambi started, a man who had stood next to me most of the day exclaimed, "Holy Shit!" It was his first Tool show. Even though I've seen the show a few times, I felt the same way he did. It's an incredible (unrivaled?) display of musicianship and multimedia. I really liked the guest drummer (Frank) during Lateralus. He seemed super excited about being able to play with the band. Both at the end of the solo and the end of the song he stood up and screamed. At least someone on stage had some personality...

Cya front+center in Manchester.

~Sully
Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Fun show. After 700+ days, I forgot how good Tool was live. When Jambi started, a man who had stood next to me most of the day exclaimed, "Holy Shit!" It was his first Tool show. Even though I've seen the show a few times, I felt the same way he did. It's an incredible (unrivaled?) display of musicianship and multimedia. I really liked the guest drummer (Frank) during Lateralus. He seemed super excited about being able to play with the band. Both at the end of the solo and the end of the song he stood up and screamed. At least someone on stage had some personality...

Cya front+center in Manchester.

~Sully
OFFLINE |  
LateraL9eight7
08-02-2009, 06:57 AM

Faith restored. That performance was better than some of the mailed in shit I saw in 2007.

DC using all roto-toms and 2 kick drums, huh? Sounded great.

The drum duet has to stop. Its not good. I didnt think it was cool last time I saw it, and I still dont. And that was with Cody.

My mix was mint. I stood on that platform in the soundboard area so I was elevated.

Maynard sang very well, which quelled my worst fear.

All Points West kind of sucked, but that's also because anything where TOOL fans en masse are generally sucks. Neko Case and Gogol Bordello were fantastic.

Man, do they play "Flood" well. So tight.

Glad I saw the show. Nothing I hadnt seen before, but I had to see for myself why it was that they wheeled out an overdone 2 year old tour. I've seen the band on their first tours back after long downtimes pretty much every timefor the past 12 years, and this was no different. Band seemed renewed and energetic. Very happy.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Faith restored. That performance was better than some of the mailed in shit I saw in 2007.

DC using all roto-toms and 2 kick drums, huh? Sounded great.

The drum duet has to stop. Its not good. I didnt think it was cool last time I saw it, and I still dont. And that was with Cody.

My mix was mint. I stood on that platform in the soundboard area so I was elevated.

Maynard sang very well, which quelled my worst fear.

All Points West kind of sucked, but that's also because anything where TOOL fans en masse are generally sucks. Neko Case and Gogol Bordello were fantastic.

Man, do they play "Flood" well. So tight.

Glad I saw the show. Nothing I hadnt seen before, but I had to see for myself why it was that they wheeled out an overdone 2 year old tour. I've seen the band on their first tours back after long downtimes pretty much every timefor the past 12 years, and this was no different. Band seemed renewed and energetic. Very happy.
OFFLINE |  
polilla
08-02-2009, 07:04 AM

Great show. Purposely did not look at past set lists so I wouldn't know what was being played. Did not bother me that it was same, I'm of the camp that they can play same songs over and over and it wouldn't bother me.

Great Maynard-isms -

"New York City is a hell of a town, but all joking aside, when it comes down to it, ya can't fuck with Jersey."

Before drum duel of Lateralus:

"Let the drumsterbation begin!"

When the solo was done and Maynard ran back on in underwear, ran out and rubbed guest drummers bald head in a congratulatory way, it was kind of sweet. He started to walk off after Lateralus without striking the drums to which Maynard said:

"Hey taking your fucking drums with you. This ain't no fucking storage space."

Also the guys name was Frank something (sorry didn't catch it) and as he left he said:

"I was actually expecting Frank Sinatra, but you were all right" or something to that effect. He also said they were going to have another guy play drums and then they realized he couldn't play drums at all. Forget the name again.

There did to be a few little flubs here and there but it kind of added to the atmosphere. It looked like they were having fun. The stage faces the skyline of NYC and it looked like both Justin and Danny took a second to take it in when they walked on stage. A little later Justin took a pic of the crowd, not sure if he's been doing that at every show.

The visuals and lights synced up with the music beautifully. Love the face being morphed during 46&2 until the flesh comes off to reveal the skeleton. Also he sang the last line:

"46&2 will lead to 48"

Again I haven't been following reviews to apologies if this was mentioned already.

The lasers were great, they actually kept them all confined within the stage. I imagine this was because there are so many airplanes flying into the airports and also one of the lasers could of easily beamed into someone's apartment! It gave a very cool effect and I was amazed how precise they were in there calculations as they hit just the end of the 'roof' of the stage. Must of looked really cool to some of the planes flying into Newark airport.

One last note, this was the closet I've been to them as they played and it was just amazing to watch the energy and connection between the four of them. They are easily four of the most talented musicians I've ever had the privilege to watch perform and it always is an honor to witness.

Thanks Tool

Last edited by polilla; 08-02-2009 at 07:07 AM..
Old 08-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show. Purposely did not look at past set lists so I wouldn't know what was being played. Did not bother me that it was same, I'm of the camp that they can play same songs over and over and it wouldn't bother me.

Great Maynard-isms -

"New York City is a hell of a town, but all joking aside, when it comes down to it, ya can't fuck with Jersey."

Before drum duel of Lateralus:

"Let the drumsterbation begin!"

When the solo was done and Maynard ran back on in underwear, ran out and rubbed guest drummers bald head in a congratulatory way, it was kind of sweet. He started to walk off after Lateralus without striking the drums to which Maynard said:

"Hey taking your fucking drums with you. This ain't no fucking storage space."

Also the guys name was Frank something (sorry didn't catch it) and as he left he said:

"I was actually expecting Frank Sinatra, but you were all right" or something to that effect. He also said they were going to have another guy play drums and then they realized he couldn't play drums at all. Forget the name again.

There did to be a few little flubs here and there but it kind of added to the atmosphere. It looked like they were having fun. The stage faces the skyline of NYC and it looked like both Justin and Danny took a second to take it in when they walked on stage. A little later Justin took a pic of the crowd, not sure if he's been doing that at every show.

The visuals and lights synced up with the music beautifully. Love the face being morphed during 46&2 until the flesh comes off to reveal the skeleton. Also he sang the last line:

"46&2 will lead to 48"

Again I haven't been following reviews to apologies if this was mentioned already.

The lasers were great, they actually kept them all confined within the stage. I imagine this was because there are so many airplanes flying into the airports and also one of the lasers could of easily beamed into someone's apartment! It gave a very cool effect and I was amazed how precise they were in there calculations as they hit just the end of the 'roof' of the stage. Must of looked really cool to some of the planes flying into Newark airport.

One last note, this was the closet I've been to them as they played and it was just amazing to watch the energy and connection between the four of them. They are easily four of the most talented musicians I've ever had the privilege to watch perform and it always is an honor to witness.

Thanks Tool

Last edited by polilla; 08-02-2009 at 07:07 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Fadilles
08-02-2009, 07:50 AM

They sounded good.. I thought Maynard's vocals during the end of Lateralus were a little muffled especially in the most important part towards the end. The dueling drums really kinda drowned him out. Lateralus is just such an amazing live song.. especially in that type of venue... outdoors with views of NYC and the Statue of Liberty. Schism and Aenema went over really well depsite it being about the 5th time in a row to hear them live. Flood though was the 1st time hearing it live and I thought they killed it!!

I still hope they squash this setlist eventually b/c there are so many good songs even off of Lateralis like the Grudge, The Patient, and Parabola that need to be played. I thought My Bloody Valentine was the worst live band I've ever seen. I never saw a performance where not 1 word was spoken to the crowd... and not 1 lyric was dichperable ... just noise, loud, distorted, annoying noise for 1 hr.. yawn!! I really like the Arctic Monkeys.. thought they were very good and Gogol Bordello despite knowing nothing from them were tons of fun to watch and listen to. A long, hot, sunburnt, muddy day... can't imagine people doing 3 days of that.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

They sounded good.. I thought Maynard's vocals during the end of Lateralus were a little muffled especially in the most important part towards the end. The dueling drums really kinda drowned him out. Lateralus is just such an amazing live song.. especially in that type of venue... outdoors with views of NYC and the Statue of Liberty. Schism and Aenema went over really well depsite it being about the 5th time in a row to hear them live. Flood though was the 1st time hearing it live and I thought they killed it!!

I still hope they squash this setlist eventually b/c there are so many good songs even off of Lateralis like the Grudge, The Patient, and Parabola that need to be played. I thought My Bloody Valentine was the worst live band I've ever seen. I never saw a performance where not 1 word was spoken to the crowd... and not 1 lyric was dichperable ... just noise, loud, distorted, annoying noise for 1 hr.. yawn!! I really like the Arctic Monkeys.. thought they were very good and Gogol Bordello despite knowing nothing from them were tons of fun to watch and listen to. A long, hot, sunburnt, muddy day... can't imagine people doing 3 days of that.
OFFLINE |  
junior
08-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Guest drummer was Frank Ferrer. He's currently playing in Guns n' Roses, but don't hold that against him. He's also played in Love Spit Love, Psychadellic Furs, Honkey Toast, and host of others. He did the drum thing at least once before, either in Long Island or New Jersey, can't remember. I think once was on the Lateralus tour.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Guest drummer was Frank Ferrer. He's currently playing in Guns n' Roses, but don't hold that against him. He's also played in Love Spit Love, Psychadellic Furs, Honkey Toast, and host of others. He did the drum thing at least once before, either in Long Island or New Jersey, can't remember. I think once was on the Lateralus tour.
OFFLINE |  
junior
08-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Lasers were indeed restricted from entering the airspace. That is why they were all contained to the stage.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Lasers were indeed restricted from entering the airspace. That is why they were all contained to the stage.
OFFLINE |  
dabel9042
08-02-2009, 10:04 AM

After my instincts were realized with the announcement of the setlist after Mile High, I admit I was at first faking my enthusiasm. Heck, This was my 31st show over a span of 13 years, but it's TOOL.
As the date got nearer, the more I began to think of the significance of the songs and the band members, who were going to be near by and play this mantra LIVE and for a reason, and literally standing there, near the mud, like pigs in a wrangle, as the show approached I was enthralled with the moment that was about to occur and witnessing those from other countries and backgrounds witnessing TOOL for the first time.
All good, all the time.

Interesting notes:

Before the show: The croud chears as the apw crew rolls out the sparkle 5 piece drumsterbation kit first, by accident? (Danny's kit rolled out and overwhelmed the stage shortly later ).
Funny lounge tribal jazz pre music and then recording of an man reading in detail the effects of LSD or .
Saw Todd and a hot girl trenching through the mud.

Show time:
Seemed the band played the entire show in a slower tempo, any one else?

TONS of new '3D' video. Every song had new video material or new overlaying on top of original video... awesome to see, and recall, the mutation

BOOTLEG Galore: There was a moment where I was watching video of someone videoing someone videoing TOOL. Get yours while its hot, or get arrested.

GA area by center barrier on D+J's side only dry real estate in immediate area, everrything else was gaping mud pits and smelt like an unkept stable. pig sty.
The Pig Sty theme kinda fit the whole slaughterhouse apocalyptic underlining message TOOL obverses in their entourage and scheme of things. The entire scene reminded me of how Undertow felt back when, any one?

Lost Keys didn't happen, Maynard rapped totally different, not sure if made up on the spot, lyrics through beginning of Rosetta.

The drum off wasn't great The Grudge would (imagine that) be a better display of Dannys ocho arm talent. Maynard pput it best, 'Good job, now get off the stage, and take that fuckin drum kit with you.'

"good night, now don't forget to put your clothes back on. But not you mam, you can keep yours off. Peace out."

VERY awesome soundscape before Vicarious, the croud didn't really sing final lyrics after EPIC overall performance of Vicarious, the whole band hit every note and it was sung really well and played on point through out.

Aftershow:
Best poster yet IMO. Saw different print results in the sky color on signed (#337 - dark purple) vs unsigned (#146 - light blue) posters.

Last edited by dabel9042; 08-02-2009 at 11:24 AM..
Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

After my instincts were realized with the announcement of the setlist after Mile High, I admit I was at first faking my enthusiasm. Heck, This was my 31st show over a span of 13 years, but it's TOOL.
As the date got nearer, the more I began to think of the significance of the songs and the band members, who were going to be near by and play this mantra LIVE and for a reason, and literally standing there, near the mud, like pigs in a wrangle, as the show approached I was enthralled with the moment that was about to occur and witnessing those from other countries and backgrounds witnessing TOOL for the first time.
All good, all the time.

Interesting notes:

Before the show: The croud chears as the apw crew rolls out the sparkle 5 piece drumsterbation kit first, by accident? (Danny's kit rolled out and overwhelmed the stage shortly later ).
Funny lounge tribal jazz pre music and then recording of an man reading in detail the effects of LSD or .
Saw Todd and a hot girl trenching through the mud.

Show time:
Seemed the band played the entire show in a slower tempo, any one else?

TONS of new '3D' video. Every song had new video material or new overlaying on top of original video... awesome to see, and recall, the mutation

BOOTLEG Galore: There was a moment where I was watching video of someone videoing someone videoing TOOL. Get yours while its hot, or get arrested.

GA area by center barrier on D+J's side only dry real estate in immediate area, everrything else was gaping mud pits and smelt like an unkept stable. pig sty.
The Pig Sty theme kinda fit the whole slaughterhouse apocalyptic underlining message TOOL obverses in their entourage and scheme of things. The entire scene reminded me of how Undertow felt back when, any one?

Lost Keys didn't happen, Maynard rapped totally different, not sure if made up on the spot, lyrics through beginning of Rosetta.

The drum off wasn't great The Grudge would (imagine that) be a better display of Dannys ocho arm talent. Maynard pput it best, 'Good job, now get off the stage, and take that fuckin drum kit with you.'

"good night, now don't forget to put your clothes back on. But not you mam, you can keep yours off. Peace out."

VERY awesome soundscape before Vicarious, the croud didn't really sing final lyrics after EPIC overall performance of Vicarious, the whole band hit every note and it was sung really well and played on point through out.

Aftershow:
Best poster yet IMO. Saw different print results in the sky color on signed (#337 - dark purple) vs unsigned (#146 - light blue) posters.

Last edited by dabel9042; 08-02-2009 at 11:24 AM..
OFFLINE |  
chiroptera
08-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Fifth Tool show and once again, Tool did not disappoint. The venue was disappointing but Tool made up for it. Maynard was engaging and Adam in particular interacted with the crowd more than I've ever seen him. At other shows Adam has seemed more focused on just his guitar work but he seemed to really be having a good time up there last night. And Justin just shined on Schism and especially Flood. I think he's a very under-rated bassist, but playing in the same band as Danny and Adam it's easy to get overlooked.

As for the venue it WAS an outdoor concert. The lighting and graphics were incredible but the sound (especially the vocals) were very spotty at best. As for the mud, with the rain this summer I guess it was expected. But what wasn't expected -on the way home when the caked mud started to dry on me and really smell. It became very obvious it wasn't just mud but a lot of manure as well. Liberty State Park is after all, nothing more than a giant, toxic landfill and the soil they brought in to cover it obviously must have come from a dairy farm. I offended a a lot of people on the subway and then the train but there was nothing I could do about it.

And for the posters who "liked" My Bloody Valentine, what were you taking and how much did you ingest? Worst live band ever! I mean they literally (yes, LITERALLY) did a 50 minute set that consisted of one chord. I guess there were supposed to be indidvidual songs because they would stop playing every 7 to 8 minutes or so; but then the same white noise would start up again 30 seconds later. And I also think there were supposed to be lyrics because I did see them moving their lips while standing at microphones, but I didn't hear anything identifiable as a human voice. A lot of Tool fans were just making eye contact and shaking their heads in disbelief. The Barry Manilow concert I got dragged to when I was 12 was a better show.

But back to Tool, the set list was expected but they were under time constraints with APW. They made great use of the time, but I still think Jambi is just not a good choice as an opener. Adam did play part of Lost Keys, but at the beginning of Schism instead of Rosetta Stoned. I thought they were going to skip Schism when I heard that. And in Adam's intro to Aenima I thought I heard a few riff's from Prison Sex. Did anyone else catch that or was that just wishful thinking on my part?
Of course I missed most of Stinkfist because of a really nasty chick fight that broke out right in front of me. Anyone else who was about 30 feet out directly in front of Adam, what was that all about?
07/14/07 Times Union Center, Albany NY
08/01/09 APW Liberty State Park, NJ
02/01/12 Izod Center, NJ

"There is no need to believe in a supernatural force of evil. Man is quite capable of every imaginable attrocity on his own." -Joseph Conrad
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Fifth Tool show and once again, Tool did not disappoint. The venue was disappointing but Tool made up for it. Maynard was engaging and Adam in particular interacted with the crowd more than I've ever seen him. At other shows Adam has seemed more focused on just his guitar work but he seemed to really be having a good time up there last night. And Justin just shined on Schism and especially Flood. I think he's a very under-rated bassist, but playing in the same band as Danny and Adam it's easy to get overlooked.

As for the venue it WAS an outdoor concert. The lighting and graphics were incredible but the sound (especially the vocals) were very spotty at best. As for the mud, with the rain this summer I guess it was expected. But what wasn't expected -on the way home when the caked mud started to dry on me and really smell. It became very obvious it wasn't just mud but a lot of manure as well. Liberty State Park is after all, nothing more than a giant, toxic landfill and the soil they brought in to cover it obviously must have come from a dairy farm. I offended a a lot of people on the subway and then the train but there was nothing I could do about it.

And for the posters who "liked" My Bloody Valentine, what were you taking and how much did you ingest? Worst live band ever! I mean they literally (yes, LITERALLY) did a 50 minute set that consisted of one chord. I guess there were supposed to be indidvidual songs because they would stop playing every 7 to 8 minutes or so; but then the same white noise would start up again 30 seconds later. And I also think there were supposed to be lyrics because I did see them moving their lips while standing at microphones, but I didn't hear anything identifiable as a human voice. A lot of Tool fans were just making eye contact and shaking their heads in disbelief. The Barry Manilow concert I got dragged to when I was 12 was a better show.

But back to Tool, the set list was expected but they were under time constraints with APW. They made great use of the time, but I still think Jambi is just not a good choice as an opener. Adam did play part of Lost Keys, but at the beginning of Schism instead of Rosetta Stoned. I thought they were going to skip Schism when I heard that. And in Adam's intro to Aenima I thought I heard a few riff's from Prison Sex. Did anyone else catch that or was that just wishful thinking on my part?
Of course I missed most of Stinkfist because of a really nasty chick fight that broke out right in front of me. Anyone else who was about 30 feet out directly in front of Adam, what was that all about?
07/14/07 Times Union Center, Albany NY
08/01/09 APW Liberty State Park, NJ
02/01/12 Izod Center, NJ

"There is no need to believe in a supernatural force of evil. Man is quite capable of every imaginable attrocity on his own." -Joseph Conrad
OFFLINE |  
profane's Avatar profane
08-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
but I still think Jambi is just not a good choice as an opener.
Obviously you're free to your own opinion - but I can't understand for the life of me why you would think this? A great song and it starts the show off with a bang. The bass line is like having a ton of bricks on your chest and not to mention the fire-esque visuals. Just awesome.

I actually think it's one of the best songs they could pick as an opener.

To each there own, I suppose. :)
Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
but I still think Jambi is just not a good choice as an opener.
Obviously you're free to your own opinion - but I can't understand for the life of me why you would think this? A great song and it starts the show off with a bang. The bass line is like having a ton of bricks on your chest and not to mention the fire-esque visuals. Just awesome.

OFFLINE |  
Thatsarealzinger's Avatar Thatsarealzinger
08-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profane View Post

I agree. Jambi is an EPIC opener and live song as well. Every time I've seen it live it kills and I hope it is in the set at all future Tool shows.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by profane View Post

I agree. Jambi is an EPIC opener and live song as well. Every time I've seen it live it kills and I hope it is in the set at all future Tool shows.
OFFLINE |  
sugar5997
08-02-2009, 01:06 PM

despite the mud, the mile walk from the light rail to the festival, and the pain in the ass to figure out parking for the light rail, this show was awesome. this was my 11th tool show and they never disappoint. i've had the pleasure of seeing them play lots of different songs over the years, and while there are many songs i'd love to hear them play, i'm always incredibly appreciative to see them live. i don't care if they come out and rock out happy birthday. they are amazing to see live. and this crowd was pretty good (i've been to some tri state area shows where the crowd was filled with some serious dick heads).

the first time i heard them play jambi i wasn't sold on it as a live song, but i've seen it a few more times since and it really is a great opener. i knew they were opening with it for this show as well, was pumped to hear the opening riffs. also was surrounded by several VOCAL appreciative tool fans, we were all breathless waiting for the beginning.

there seemed to be alot of first timers (i was with one as well) and from what i could of the crowd comments around me, they were all so blown away by this show. i thought the sound was pretty good, i could hear maynard clearly through most of the show (i saw on several reviews over the last few weeks that the sound in some of the venues really sucked, was thankful that didn't happen here).

and i thought maynard seemed to be in a pretty good mood. for anyone who posts that they think he's disconnected, doesn't care about the fans, etc....i've seen him (as i'm sure others can attest to as well) where he barely spoke at all, and/or hid behind a screen for most of the show. learn to appreciate, people, lose the expectations. maynard's not really interested, he does his thing :) amazing lights, sound, and overall excellent show. the highlight of my summer.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

despite the mud, the mile walk from the light rail to the festival, and the pain in the ass to figure out parking for the light rail, this show was awesome. this was my 11th tool show and they never disappoint. i've had the pleasure of seeing them play lots of different songs over the years, and while there are many songs i'd love to hear them play, i'm always incredibly appreciative to see them live. i don't care if they come out and rock out happy birthday. they are amazing to see live. and this crowd was pretty good (i've been to some tri state area shows where the crowd was filled with some serious dick heads).

the first time i heard them play jambi i wasn't sold on it as a live song, but i've seen it a few more times since and it really is a great opener. i knew they were opening with it for this show as well, was pumped to hear the opening riffs. also was surrounded by several VOCAL appreciative tool fans, we were all breathless waiting for the beginning.

there seemed to be alot of first timers (i was with one as well) and from what i could of the crowd comments around me, they were all so blown away by this show. i thought the sound was pretty good, i could hear maynard clearly through most of the show (i saw on several reviews over the last few weeks that the sound in some of the venues really sucked, was thankful that didn't happen here).

and i thought maynard seemed to be in a pretty good mood. for anyone who posts that they think he's disconnected, doesn't care about the fans, etc....i've seen him (as i'm sure others can attest to as well) where he barely spoke at all, and/or hid behind a screen for most of the show. learn to appreciate, people, lose the expectations. maynard's not really interested, he does his thing :) amazing lights, sound, and overall excellent show. the highlight of my summer.
OFFLINE |  
Diggs
08-02-2009, 01:49 PM

this was my 6th tool show since 97 lalapoolza. my overall impression was very good. i was standing to the right of the sound booth and i thought the sound was really good and clear. the environment was awsome with the statue of liberty off to the side of the stage and the city lights behind us. maynard sounded better than the 10,000 days tour. the band was ON the whole night and into the crowd for sure with all the movement on stage. i apologize to anyone around me for being loud and rowdy at times but i couldnt help it. the adrenaline was pumping and i knew tool was going to kick ass like always. my highlights were schism, aenema, and 46&2. videos were amazing.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

this was my 6th tool show since 97 lalapoolza. my overall impression was very good. i was standing to the right of the sound booth and i thought the sound was really good and clear. the environment was awsome with the statue of liberty off to the side of the stage and the city lights behind us. maynard sounded better than the 10,000 days tour. the band was ON the whole night and into the crowd for sure with all the movement on stage. i apologize to anyone around me for being loud and rowdy at times but i couldnt help it. the adrenaline was pumping and i knew tool was going to kick ass like always. my highlights were schism, aenema, and 46&2. videos were amazing.
OFFLINE |  
polilla
08-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Thanks for the clarification Junior. And thanks to you and the whole crew for putting on such an amazing (& hypnotic) show!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Thanks for the clarification Junior. And thanks to you and the whole crew for putting on such an amazing (& hypnotic) show!
OFFLINE |  
dgoldin2012's Avatar dgoldin2012
08-02-2009, 03:10 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned some of the funniest things Maynard said.

"New York City is a hell of a town, but all joking aside, when it comes down to it, ya can't fuck with Jersey... unless you want your ass kicked"

After the duel drum solo... "we were gonna bring out Chris Meloni, but we realized he couldn't play the fucking drums. he's too busy catching perverts."

"you have to put your clothes back on, I've seen some of you in the light and what you're wearing could be considered terrorism"

great show, it was my 7th TOOL show, and I can't complain. Always amazing.

I can't understand why TOOL fans are so close minded to My Bloody Valentine. I thought their set was incredible. The sheer level of sonic destruction is beyond belief. It's true you can barely make out the vocals, but they've always been like that, that's part of their "sound". If you are a fan of shoegaze music, MBV are pretty much the originators, and their live show proves why.

Also thought ...and you will know us by the trail of dead were awesome. the keyboardist fell off the stage (6 foot drop) while setting up, but luckily he was ok. then latter the singer was playing the keyboards and the entire thing came crashing down. the guitarist claimed their was a magnetic vortex over there. good stuff
Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

I can't believe no one has mentioned some of the funniest things Maynard said.

"New York City is a hell of a town, but all joking aside, when it comes down to it, ya can't fuck with Jersey... unless you want your ass kicked"

After the duel drum solo... "we were gonna bring out Chris Meloni, but we realized he couldn't play the fucking drums. he's too busy catching perverts."

"you have to put your clothes back on, I've seen some of you in the light and what you're wearing could be considered terrorism"

great show, it was my 7th TOOL show, and I can't complain. Always amazing.

I can't understand why TOOL fans are so close minded to My Bloody Valentine. I thought their set was incredible. The sheer level of sonic destruction is beyond belief. It's true you can barely make out the vocals, but they've always been like that, that's part of their "sound". If you are a fan of shoegaze music, MBV are pretty much the originators, and their live show proves why.

Also thought ...and you will know us by the trail of dead were awesome. the keyboardist fell off the stage (6 foot drop) while setting up, but luckily he was ok. then latter the singer was playing the keyboards and the entire thing came crashing down. the guitarist claimed their was a magnetic vortex over there. good stuff
08-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldin2012 View Post
Quote:
agreed.

and i cant believe that about the kb player from ... trail of the dead. funny stuff.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #26
On Probation

Quote:
Quote:
agreed.

and i cant believe that about the kb player from ... trail of the dead. funny stuff.
OFFLINE |  
dice5199
08-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Great show. This was the 4th time seeing Tool for me and the 1st and only time seeing them this tour. This might have been the best one I've seen yet. I was standing next to a regular concert-goer who was seeing Tool for the first time and he was blown away.

I got a little worried with the late start because of the 11:30 closing policy at the venue. They were scheduled to start at 9:45, but went on about 10:05-10:10. They had to condense/omit a few things to get the show done on time. I imagine the crew was a bit stressed out. Perhaps Junior can expand on this.

I thought the sound was great. I was seated about 20 rows back slightly left of center. This was my first time seeing them in an open venue. This is by far the clearest I have heard Rosetta Stoned.

I thought Maynard was very animated. He did a flying yoga pose during Jambi. As usual, he made a few funny comments. He was in a police uniform, which makes sense since he is doing more megaphoning this tour.

I have to agree that Adam was more animated than usual. He's moving around the stage and interacting with the crowd more. At the beginning of Lateralus he made eye contact with someone in the crowd and signaled to them. It must have been a pretty cool moment for that fan.

The lighting was awesome. I have to say that Junior and company have managed to improve on the visuals from 2007. The rear screens are now continuous from one side of the stage to the other, where previously they were separated into four panels. I like the new Alex Grey banner above the screens. It's very primal looking.

I don't know if the show can be ratcheted up any further and for that reason I would like to see Tool do some more stripped down shows for a change, similar to what Nine Inch Nails did after the Lights in the Sky tour.

As for the venue, it was a nice setting, but there were some things they could improve on. If I'm going to pay $5 for a slice of pizza can they at least put a garbage can within a 1/2 mile of the food area?

Also, I thought the people that gave My Bloody Valentine the bird were out of line. I can understand if you didn't like them or they played too loud, but don't ruin it for the people trying to enjoy the show.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #27

Bincount™: 13

Great show. This was the 4th time seeing Tool for me and the 1st and only time seeing them this tour. This might have been the best one I've seen yet. I was standing next to a regular concert-goer who was seeing Tool for the first time and he was blown away.

I got a little worried with the late start because of the 11:30 closing policy at the venue. They were scheduled to start at 9:45, but went on about 10:05-10:10. They had to condense/omit a few things to get the show done on time. I imagine the crew was a bit stressed out. Perhaps Junior can expand on this.

I thought the sound was great. I was seated about 20 rows back slightly left of center. This was my first time seeing them in an open venue. This is by far the clearest I have heard Rosetta Stoned.

I thought Maynard was very animated. He did a flying yoga pose during Jambi. As usual, he made a few funny comments. He was in a police uniform, which makes sense since he is doing more megaphoning this tour.

I have to agree that Adam was more animated than usual. He's moving around the stage and interacting with the crowd more. At the beginning of Lateralus he made eye contact with someone in the crowd and signaled to them. It must have been a pretty cool moment for that fan.

The lighting was awesome. I have to say that Junior and company have managed to improve on the visuals from 2007. The rear screens are now continuous from one side of the stage to the other, where previously they were separated into four panels. I like the new Alex Grey banner above the screens. It's very primal looking.

I don't know if the show can be ratcheted up any further and for that reason I would like to see Tool do some more stripped down shows for a change, similar to what Nine Inch Nails did after the Lights in the Sky tour.

As for the venue, it was a nice setting, but there were some things they could improve on. If I'm going to pay $5 for a slice of pizza can they at least put a garbage can within a 1/2 mile of the food area?

Also, I thought the people that gave My Bloody Valentine the bird were out of line. I can understand if you didn't like them or they played too loud, but don't ruin it for the people trying to enjoy the show.
08-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice5199 View Post
I like the new Alex Grey banner above the screens. It's very primal looking.
i really liked that too - with the 7 pointed star at the right side... i thought that was gonna light up or something, but it was cool just the way it was. i noticed the three faces of the life cycle - birth, growth, and death. then the star... :)
Old 08-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #28
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice5199 View Post
I like the new Alex Grey banner above the screens. It's very primal looking.
i really liked that too - with the 7 pointed star at the right side... i thought that was gonna light up or something, but it was cool just the way it was. i noticed the three faces of the life cycle - birth, growth, and death. then the star... :)
OFFLINE |  
YUBitchin
08-02-2009, 03:36 PM

I thought I heard a few riff's from Prison Sex. Did anyone else catch that or was that just wishful thinking on my part?

You heard right. Same riffs in Charlotte.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

I thought I heard a few riff's from Prison Sex. Did anyone else catch that or was that just wishful thinking on my part?

You heard right. Same riffs in Charlotte.
OFFLINE |  
RosettaStoned1992
08-02-2009, 08:39 PM

ok to start.. this is my second time seeing tool ( PNC arts center 2007) it was way better then the last one.
PRE-TOOL:
got there around 6 and had to wait, it wasnt to bad until my bloody valetine came on. it was the worst thing i have ever heard. That 13 min one chord shit was the worst thing i have ever heard. I have no problem with them being loud, but when you play music live make sure it sounds good! I mean really couldnt hear vocals at all, and it sounded like crap. They deserved all the boos and fingers they got, the EARNED them.
TOOL- goot on stage around 10, looked to me tht they were having trouble with the video screen b4 the show? i could be wrong, junior can you help me with that one? the lasers and video, and art was kick ass btw.
I have no idea what people are saying at the other concerts, i heard maynard loud and clear from where i was infront of the big mud pit infront of justin. he seemed into it tonight too. the songs were all played perfect. maynard had me laughing after lateralus talking about frank hahaha. This was the best night i have ever had, it wil be really hard to top only thing that might top it is another tool show. im fine with about any set list they play im just happy their touring.
Venue- i thought it was good, the large festival crowd gave it a diffrent feel then my past 2 concert experiences at PNC, but both good in there own way. We had a sick view of the statue of liberty and the sky line so thats a plus. going next year.

TOOL thanks for the amazing show!!!

Last edited by RosettaStoned1992; 08-02-2009 at 08:45 PM..
Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

ok to start.. this is my second time seeing tool ( PNC arts center 2007) it was way better then the last one.
PRE-TOOL:
got there around 6 and had to wait, it wasnt to bad until my bloody valetine came on. it was the worst thing i have ever heard. That 13 min one chord shit was the worst thing i have ever heard. I have no problem with them being loud, but when you play music live make sure it sounds good! I mean really couldnt hear vocals at all, and it sounded like crap. They deserved all the boos and fingers they got, the EARNED them.
TOOL- goot on stage around 10, looked to me tht they were having trouble with the video screen b4 the show? i could be wrong, junior can you help me with that one? the lasers and video, and art was kick ass btw.
I have no idea what people are saying at the other concerts, i heard maynard loud and clear from where i was infront of the big mud pit infront of justin. he seemed into it tonight too. the songs were all played perfect. maynard had me laughing after lateralus talking about frank hahaha. This was the best night i have ever had, it wil be really hard to top only thing that might top it is another tool show. im fine with about any set list they play im just happy their touring.
Venue- i thought it was good, the large festival crowd gave it a diffrent feel then my past 2 concert experiences at PNC, but both good in there own way. We had a sick view of the statue of liberty and the sky line so thats a plus. going next year.

TOOL thanks for the amazing show!!!

Last edited by RosettaStoned1992; 08-02-2009 at 08:45 PM..
OFFLINE |  
uptonogood
08-03-2009, 05:29 AM

does maynard always stare in justin's direction for the most part of the show?

and no, he didn't stay in back like i've been reading about the other shows. i mean, his little mini stage is at the back, but he was at the front of that most of the time.

lighting was awesome. got to take a few good camera pix because of it!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:29 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

does maynard always stare in justin's direction for the most part of the show?

and no, he didn't stay in back like i've been reading about the other shows. i mean, his little mini stage is at the back, but he was at the front of that most of the time.

lighting was awesome. got to take a few good camera pix because of it!
OFFLINE |  
PoopShipDestroyer
08-03-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:

pretty much this.

i was really disappointed by the majority of tool fans having no idea they were seeing f'n legends up there, with some of the most amazing music i've ever heard (listen to Loveless and tell me i'm wrong). i'll admit though, that they sounded a lot better when i saw them at Roseland (and louder... i was able to feel my clothing vibrate from the sheer volume)

Tool was great, but the highlight was MBV
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

pretty much this.

i was really disappointed by the majority of tool fans having no idea they were seeing f'n legends up there, with some of the most amazing music i've ever heard (listen to Loveless and tell me i'm wrong). i'll admit though, that they sounded a lot better when i saw them at Roseland (and louder... i was able to feel my clothing vibrate from the sheer volume)

OFFLINE |  
HOTSAUCEMAN's Avatar HOTSAUCEMAN
08-03-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShipDestroyer View Post
pretty much this.

i realize that MBV are legends but i still don't enjoy them live. i caught them last year at ATP-NY, which they curated and headlined and also saw them at APW this weekend. personally, it just translates as muddy, too loud, and quite boring in my opinion. i get their history and know they are innovators of the shoe gaze genre, but i just don't enjoy it. it's a big world of music out there so not everything is going to stick y'know? pretty rude for TOOL fans to throw the finger to the band though, if you don't like it that's one thing, but have some respect to not ruin someone else's good time or disrespect the band. totally reminded me of coachella years back when massive attack was on stage and TOOL fans were screaming for them to get off the stage and booing. reflects the fact that for some reason TOOL attracts a lot of dumbfounded dipshits.

anyways, i enjoyed TOOL. i got hooked up with VIP tickets for free so we watched from the bleachers, my short ass had a solid view but i think the sound seemed a bit off from over there. i took two friends with me that had never seen TOOL and they were blown away, nice to see someone's perspective that doesn't follow the bands every move.

APW smelled like a horse's ass.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShipDestroyer View Post
pretty much this.

i realize that MBV are legends but i still don't enjoy them live. i caught them last year at ATP-NY, which they curated and headlined and also saw them at APW this weekend. personally, it just translates as muddy, too loud, and quite boring in my opinion. i get their history and know they are innovators of the shoe gaze genre, but i just don't enjoy it. it's a big world of music out there so not everything is going to stick y'know? pretty rude for TOOL fans to throw the finger to the band though, if you don't like it that's one thing, but have some respect to not ruin someone else's good time or disrespect the band. totally reminded me of coachella years back when massive attack was on stage and TOOL fans were screaming for them to get off the stage and booing. reflects the fact that for some reason TOOL attracts a lot of dumbfounded dipshits.

anyways, i enjoyed TOOL. i got hooked up with VIP tickets for free so we watched from the bleachers, my short ass had a solid view but i think the sound seemed a bit off from over there. i took two friends with me that had never seen TOOL and they were blown away, nice to see someone's perspective that doesn't follow the bands every move.

APW smelled like a horse's ass.
OFFLINE |  
FjeremyU
08-03-2009, 11:39 AM

I guess thats what happens when you have a festival in a swamp.

As far as Tool goes, I thought the performance was outstanding. I've seen them 6 times now and have never left disappointed. Then again I am not the type to over-analyze every tiny aspect of the show. I had been reading these reviews and I can admit I was expecting the worst, but of course I should of known that all the whining was just dramatics from people who I guess feel like their owed something more. Anyway..

My Bloody Valentine... I dont know what to say. I love all music and even if i dont like something, I can usually see why someone may. Theres no accounting for taste. But Jesus I dont know if what I heard can truely qualify as music. Noise yes, but music? This nutball in front of me spent the whole set smacking his ears as if this somehow added to the experience. It seems to be all about volume with them. It would be like going to an art show and stareing at the sun because its the brightest object there. And that 10 minutes at the end where they went "off", I wonder how long it took them to write that. Maybe I just dont "get" it. But it seems weird that I can "get" everything else. Im thinking maybe it was all a big joke.
P.S. Gorgol was sick, Ima be keeping up with them.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

I guess thats what happens when you have a festival in a swamp.

As far as Tool goes, I thought the performance was outstanding. I've seen them 6 times now and have never left disappointed. Then again I am not the type to over-analyze every tiny aspect of the show. I had been reading these reviews and I can admit I was expecting the worst, but of course I should of known that all the whining was just dramatics from people who I guess feel like their owed something more. Anyway..

My Bloody Valentine... I dont know what to say. I love all music and even if i dont like something, I can usually see why someone may. Theres no accounting for taste. But Jesus I dont know if what I heard can truely qualify as music. Noise yes, but music? This nutball in front of me spent the whole set smacking his ears as if this somehow added to the experience. It seems to be all about volume with them. It would be like going to an art show and stareing at the sun because its the brightest object there. And that 10 minutes at the end where they went "off", I wonder how long it took them to write that. Maybe I just dont "get" it. But it seems weird that I can "get" everything else. Im thinking maybe it was all a big joke.
P.S. Gorgol was sick, Ima be keeping up with them.
OFFLINE |  
LateraL9eight7
08-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Another thing not to discount about that MBV set, the wind REALLY kicked up on them when they went on stage. Their FOH mix was horrendous at first because it was being blown all over the place.

I get it. I dont enjoy it, but I get it. But again, the typical showing of TOOL fans (or fans of any band who is as big as TOOL who makes semi-aggro music) booing and throwing shit at the stage during MBV was embaressing company to be in.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #35

Another thing not to discount about that MBV set, the wind REALLY kicked up on them when they went on stage. Their FOH mix was horrendous at first because it was being blown all over the place.

I get it. I dont enjoy it, but I get it. But again, the typical showing of TOOL fans (or fans of any band who is as big as TOOL who makes semi-aggro music) booing and throwing shit at the stage during MBV was embaressing company to be in.
OFFLINE |  
static's Avatar static
08-03-2009, 12:59 PM

First time seeing Tool live, gotta say it lived up to my expectations. Loved the setlist. The only thing that really bothered me was, and maybe its because I was up so close, the vocals were getting really drowned out. I could hardly hear Maynard during most of the set, but thats alright. The instrumentals made up for that. Really enjoyed some of the variations they used during 46&2 and Schism. I though the dual drum solo in Lateralus was cool but completely ruined by the fact that you could hardly hear Frank's drums. The audio leveling was completely fucked up for most of the festival.

MBV is shit and I was right there screaming at them to get off the stage between every song. Bands that can't play anything beyond a single riff over and over again don't deserve to play live. Playing loud and extremely repetitively isn't "SONIC DESTRUCTION AWESOMENESS DUDE" its just fucking annoying. I had some punk ass kid try explaining to me after the show the "technicalities" of shoegaze and how its all about "subtle changes in melody". I basically ignored him and said I don't really care, because it still sounds like shit. All I got from MBV is a growing hate for music elitists trying to be hip and edgy, pretending to enjoy something just for the sake of it being different and secretly begging for the chance to "explain the technicalities" to some "ignorant Tool fan". Go suck a fucking dick.

Other than Tool, pretty much every band that played there was ass. It was still worth 100 dollars, the location was great- even though it was incredibly muddy. I just wish I knew Tool was playing so late, otherwise I would have gotten there much later.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #36
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1555

First time seeing Tool live, gotta say it lived up to my expectations. Loved the setlist. The only thing that really bothered me was, and maybe its because I was up so close, the vocals were getting really drowned out. I could hardly hear Maynard during most of the set, but thats alright. The instrumentals made up for that. Really enjoyed some of the variations they used during 46&2 and Schism. I though the dual drum solo in Lateralus was cool but completely ruined by the fact that you could hardly hear Frank's drums. The audio leveling was completely fucked up for most of the festival.

MBV is shit and I was right there screaming at them to get off the stage between every song. Bands that can't play anything beyond a single riff over and over again don't deserve to play live. Playing loud and extremely repetitively isn't "SONIC DESTRUCTION AWESOMENESS DUDE" its just fucking annoying. I had some punk ass kid try explaining to me after the show the "technicalities" of shoegaze and how its all about "subtle changes in melody". I basically ignored him and said I don't really care, because it still sounds like shit. All I got from MBV is a growing hate for music elitists trying to be hip and edgy, pretending to enjoy something just for the sake of it being different and secretly begging for the chance to "explain the technicalities" to some "ignorant Tool fan". Go suck a fucking dick.

Other than Tool, pretty much every band that played there was ass. It was still worth 100 dollars, the location was great- even though it was incredibly muddy. I just wish I knew Tool was playing so late, otherwise I would have gotten there much later.
alkmaeon
08-03-2009, 08:38 PM

TOOL:
I loved the entire set, I think opening with Jambi was perfect, and I loved everyone all in white except maynard in his state trooper uniform, aviators and mohawk. except for a few slips during Aenima, maynard was on que, and really into it the whole time. Lots of monkey dancing and posing and meditation movements and energy. And yeah a lot of talking. I was in front of a mud pit near Justin, so I was probably close to someone who posted not long ago. I felt I was too far from Adam, but I still heard everything really well which was nice, because when I was at a much smaller venue for Meshuggah, I was in the same possition and couldn't hear Thordendal except when everyone else paused. I know how possition can effect sound. Everything was solid and loud enough to shake my ribcage like it should, but not loud enough to make me go deaf or get muddy. Great stuf.

The fans... I was naive as a Tool fan and assumed that sice Tool is an intelligent, and somewhat dense and difficult band, that their music would self-weed out complete morons, but I've found that hordes of Tool fans are just, well, Tools. And I was surrounded by them. The people who won't stop yelling out bad impressions of old Maynardisms, the people who spend three hours bending in everyone's way to meticulously and compulsively pack, light, adjust and relight their hashpipes, the people who throw their arms in every direction, the people who push their way through like assholes only to talk through the whole thing, the people who flail around until they fall and distract me right as Rosetta Stoned hits its peak... damnit. But they couldn't ruin it for me anyway.

My Bloody Valentine
I thought they were good but too muddy... and then they went into the ten minutes of one chord. I understood it after they unexpectedly burst back into real music which was kind of cool, but maybe 1 minute of noise would have sufficed for that effect, ten was just abuse. I don't agree with the people throwing up their middle fingers, but I did find myself throwing up the "wrap it up" hand signal around minute 8.

All Ponts West in general:
I came for Tool and Trail of dead, and both were absolutely amazing. Another highlight for me was Neko Case who I'd only learned about when researching the night before to decide who to make time for at the show. Arctic monkeys weren't exactly my bag but they were thoroughly enjoyable as a live band, but I was extremely close to them and they are responsible for most of my next-day stuffiness of hearing. Tim & Eric are always hit or miss for me, and they missed this time. Electric Touch performed pretty well, I had never heard of them before, but not bad. Good old fashioned brit rock.

Oh and it was muddy but who cares, I am always in biker boots, no problems to report.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

TOOL:
I loved the entire set, I think opening with Jambi was perfect, and I loved everyone all in white except maynard in his state trooper uniform, aviators and mohawk. except for a few slips during Aenima, maynard was on que, and really into it the whole time. Lots of monkey dancing and posing and meditation movements and energy. And yeah a lot of talking. I was in front of a mud pit near Justin, so I was probably close to someone who posted not long ago. I felt I was too far from Adam, but I still heard everything really well which was nice, because when I was at a much smaller venue for Meshuggah, I was in the same possition and couldn't hear Thordendal except when everyone else paused. I know how possition can effect sound. Everything was solid and loud enough to shake my ribcage like it should, but not loud enough to make me go deaf or get muddy. Great stuf.

The fans... I was naive as a Tool fan and assumed that sice Tool is an intelligent, and somewhat dense and difficult band, that their music would self-weed out complete morons, but I've found that hordes of Tool fans are just, well, Tools. And I was surrounded by them. The people who won't stop yelling out bad impressions of old Maynardisms, the people who spend three hours bending in everyone's way to meticulously and compulsively pack, light, adjust and relight their hashpipes, the people who throw their arms in every direction, the people who push their way through like assholes only to talk through the whole thing, the people who flail around until they fall and distract me right as Rosetta Stoned hits its peak... damnit. But they couldn't ruin it for me anyway.

My Bloody Valentine
I thought they were good but too muddy... and then they went into the ten minutes of one chord. I understood it after they unexpectedly burst back into real music which was kind of cool, but maybe 1 minute of noise would have sufficed for that effect, ten was just abuse. I don't agree with the people throwing up their middle fingers, but I did find myself throwing up the "wrap it up" hand signal around minute 8.

All Ponts West in general:
I came for Tool and Trail of dead, and both were absolutely amazing. Another highlight for me was Neko Case who I'd only learned about when researching the night before to decide who to make time for at the show. Arctic monkeys weren't exactly my bag but they were thoroughly enjoyable as a live band, but I was extremely close to them and they are responsible for most of my next-day stuffiness of hearing. Tim & Eric are always hit or miss for me, and they missed this time. Electric Touch performed pretty well, I had never heard of them before, but not bad. Good old fashioned brit rock.

Oh and it was muddy but who cares, I am always in biker boots, no problems to report.
OFFLINE |  
Chadbourne's Avatar Chadbourne
08-04-2009, 07:27 AM

Tool did a really nice job - Maynard i thought was very active and sang well. the music was not as loud as i thoguht it might be, and i heard MJK pretty well as opposed to the night after in NH. im guessing the open field had a play in this.

same setlist as we all expected, but the performance was very strong. i was to the left of the soundstage, on the edge of a huge mud slick. man that was gross. maybe the worst smell since woodstock 99 - thats tough to beat. kudos to anyone who went to all 3 days (althoguh i dont know why you would).

the prison sex riff was played here and in NH as well. damn tease. no lost Keyes, but there was an intro to rosetta Stoned - if anyone can figure out what that might have been id like to know. i know people had reviewed a new lost keyes, but i heard it in NH the night after APW and it was not the same at all. whatever they did at AWP sounded very cool. and shorter too.

speaking of rosetta, did anyone esle get the impression that maynard was acting like a carnival promoter? "step right up everyones a winner" i swear i heard soemhting like that.

the festival as a whole was pretty crappy. festivals have evolved into such events where theres usually a variety of things to do. not here. the stages were poor. no real excitement in the air during the day. and it stank. the only thing they did well was create enough space in the beer gardens. gogol bordelo was a lot of fun. MBV i thought was ok until the end. man alive that was a bit much.

and i thoght he stripped down for Flood. i might be wrong. and get rid of the drum battle - they kill thier momentum with all the delays and breaks in between songs. id rather get another song than a 7 minute interlude.

Yes. Oiu. Si. Shit adds up at the Bottom
Old 08-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Tool did a really nice job - Maynard i thought was very active and sang well. the music was not as loud as i thoguht it might be, and i heard MJK pretty well as opposed to the night after in NH. im guessing the open field had a play in this.

same setlist as we all expected, but the performance was very strong. i was to the left of the soundstage, on the edge of a huge mud slick. man that was gross. maybe the worst smell since woodstock 99 - thats tough to beat. kudos to anyone who went to all 3 days (althoguh i dont know why you would).

the prison sex riff was played here and in NH as well. damn tease. no lost Keyes, but there was an intro to rosetta Stoned - if anyone can figure out what that might have been id like to know. i know people had reviewed a new lost keyes, but i heard it in NH the night after APW and it was not the same at all. whatever they did at AWP sounded very cool. and shorter too.

speaking of rosetta, did anyone esle get the impression that maynard was acting like a carnival promoter? "step right up everyones a winner" i swear i heard soemhting like that.

the festival as a whole was pretty crappy. festivals have evolved into such events where theres usually a variety of things to do. not here. the stages were poor. no real excitement in the air during the day. and it stank. the only thing they did well was create enough space in the beer gardens. gogol bordelo was a lot of fun. MBV i thought was ok until the end. man alive that was a bit much.

and i thoght he stripped down for Flood. i might be wrong. and get rid of the drum battle - they kill thier momentum with all the delays and breaks in between songs. id rather get another song than a 7 minute interlude.

Yes. Oiu. Si. Shit adds up at the Bottom
OFFLINE |  
benpedro
08-04-2009, 09:18 AM

"Forty-six and two equals forty-eight."
Old 08-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

"Forty-six and two equals forty-eight."
08-04-2009, 03:43 PM

Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist (O.T.R.M)
46&2
Schism (Extended/Sped Up Bridge)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood (with Intro)
AEnema
-Intermission-
Lateralus (w/ drum duel)
Vicarious

My 8th show in 5 states

I must say hands down this was the best show I've seen since 02. And I saw Coachella 06 and saw them play Pushit in Tucson. But as far as the last three years have gone this was out of control. First off the venue was nice, with the Manhattan skyline and Statue of Liberty. The beer gardens were fine and the bathrooms were accessible, even though there was a wicked line for one set of bathrooms, and another set was like 50 yards away with no line (some people not so bright). The parking was fine as well. I started off seeing Kool Keith which was rad as he did some Dr. Octagon stuff. St. Vincent, Neko Case and the little dance floor were nice. I heard Gogol Bordello and MBV from the beer gardens.

Throughout the night I spent most of my 100 bucks on 9 or 7 dollar beers, and a poster. I also by the end of the night had taken a morhpine, some dexto, and some tramadol, so I was having a kicking time.

Even though the set list was exactly the same, this was far and away better energy than 07. MJK didn't really say anything other than something in the beginning about thanks for coming. He did say a few things towards the end of the show around Aenima and after the guest drummer came out. But the energy of the show itself was unbelievable. I just felt like the four of them were just so in tune with each other and were happy to be there. Maynard felt really in the moment to me rather than going through the motions. We snuck pretty close to stage middle, considering we just rushed as soon as soon as 9:45 hit.

But the lighting and new visuals were outstanding. That's what brought it to a climax. The lighting was synched to new songs including Aenima and Lateralus and RS. It was like a whole new show with that aspect. The songs may have been the same, but the show was completely different. Tool was laid back in it came through in a powerful way, something I haven't seen from them before. They really just let loose.

I was so hyped to get Jambi, an awesome opener. Flood and RS are always my highlights. But RS, Lateralus and Aenima were totally out of control, just way better than they always are. And I was really pumped about the extended bridge again in Schism and the OTRM for Stinkfist.

It was just an epic show, and my ex and I just kept trading looks like this was fucking unreal. We've seen Tool together 6 times in four years. I wasn't expecting anything magnificent, but that's what we got. A show that rivaled all other 7 shows I've seen. And I saw them on my birthday in 07, but this was just fucking awesome. I'm glad I'm only seeing them once for this mimi tour, because If I had some them earlier it would have tainted my experience.

Sorry to the folks around me who got in the way of my crazy antics during flood, jambi and stinkfist. I was surprised more people weren't going ape, but to each there own. Thank you Tool for putting it out on the line and fucking rocking my face. And thank you for playing the whole set with Vicarious even though it was a festival and not skimping out on the set list. I love festivals, drinking, music all day, and the anticipation of Tool at night. I love Tool, but this show really made me realize why.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: The Gulch Jerome, Airport Mesa, Sedona. No longer Eugene, OR. Now Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn
Bincount™: 28

Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist (O.T.R.M)
46&2
Schism (Extended/Sped Up Bridge)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood (with Intro)
AEnema
-Intermission-
Lateralus (w/ drum duel)
Vicarious

My 8th show in 5 states

I must say hands down this was the best show I've seen since 02. And I saw Coachella 06 and saw them play Pushit in Tucson. But as far as the last three years have gone this was out of control. First off the venue was nice, with the Manhattan skyline and Statue of Liberty. The beer gardens were fine and the bathrooms were accessible, even though there was a wicked line for one set of bathrooms, and another set was like 50 yards away with no line (some people not so bright). The parking was fine as well. I started off seeing Kool Keith which was rad as he did some Dr. Octagon stuff. St. Vincent, Neko Case and the little dance floor were nice. I heard Gogol Bordello and MBV from the beer gardens.

Throughout the night I spent most of my 100 bucks on 9 or 7 dollar beers, and a poster. I also by the end of the night had taken a morhpine, some dexto, and some tramadol, so I was having a kicking time.

Even though the set list was exactly the same, this was far and away better energy than 07. MJK didn't really say anything other than something in the beginning about thanks for coming. He did say a few things towards the end of the show around Aenima and after the guest drummer came out. But the energy of the show itself was unbelievable. I just felt like the four of them were just so in tune with each other and were happy to be there. Maynard felt really in the moment to me rather than going through the motions. We snuck pretty close to stage middle, considering we just rushed as soon as soon as 9:45 hit.

But the lighting and new visuals were outstanding. That's what brought it to a climax. The lighting was synched to new songs including Aenima and Lateralus and RS. It was like a whole new show with that aspect. The songs may have been the same, but the show was completely different. Tool was laid back in it came through in a powerful way, something I haven't seen from them before. They really just let loose.

I was so hyped to get Jambi, an awesome opener. Flood and RS are always my highlights. But RS, Lateralus and Aenima were totally out of control, just way better than they always are. And I was really pumped about the extended bridge again in Schism and the OTRM for Stinkfist.

It was just an epic show, and my ex and I just kept trading looks like this was fucking unreal. We've seen Tool together 6 times in four years. I wasn't expecting anything magnificent, but that's what we got. A show that rivaled all other 7 shows I've seen. And I saw them on my birthday in 07, but this was just fucking awesome. I'm glad I'm only seeing them once for this mimi tour, because If I had some them earlier it would have tainted my experience.

Sorry to the folks around me who got in the way of my crazy antics during flood, jambi and stinkfist. I was surprised more people weren't going ape, but to each there own. Thank you Tool for putting it out on the line and fucking rocking my face. And thank you for playing the whole set with Vicarious even though it was a festival and not skimping out on the set list. I love festivals, drinking, music all day, and the anticipation of Tool at night. I love Tool, but this show really made me realize why.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply