Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
FatBox
10-29-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post
I'm not meaning to pin-point you as one of the Tool worshipers, I too value the great lyrics. I was just offering a general unbiased voice. But if you look at it in another view... they are just words and the connections you are making to receive greater messages than implied are your own interpretations of their art and the rest of the experience. It's something that you've looked into to expand your appreciation for Tool--not all fans feel the need--or even think of doing this.

To lots they are just another band: a very good one. Your friend falls into this category as he loves the music, the instrumental side of the tracks and just the atmosphere created in their music. Ignorance can be bliss, but if you think about it you probably have the same perception about a lot of other bands.

I'm sure if you do your research that Fall Out Boy have some songs that sink deeper than their poppy melodies, but do you care about it? No.

See what I mean?
I'm not saying I listen to the music just for the lyrics, I enjoy their musical creativity and their mind perplexing song structures as well, I just can't relate to someone who would listen to a band and not pay attention to the vocals. That's all I'm trying to get at really, not saying I wouldn't listen to an instrumental band because I do listen to some instrumental bands, it's just when I listen to songs I tend to pay attention to everything that's going on, not just the guitar or drums or whatever.

And yes, you're completely right. I could care less about any Fall Out Boy song, no matter how good the lyrics might be, they fucked themselves over already in my book. One shitty pop song is all it takes.

But yeah I see what you mean, everyone likes music for different reasons, guess I should learn to respect that.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #601
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: The fluxerpretation of 10,000 Days

Quote:
I'm not meaning to pin-point you as one of the Tool worshipers, I too value the great lyrics. I was just offering a general unbiased voice. But if you look at it in another view... they are just words and the connections you are making to receive greater messages than implied are your own interpretations of their art and the rest of the experience. It's something that you've looked into to expand your appreciation for Tool--not all fans feel the need--or even think of doing this.

To lots they are just another band: a very good one. Your friend falls into this category as he loves the music, the instrumental side of the tracks and just the atmosphere created in their music. Ignorance can be bliss, but if you think about it you probably have the same perception about a lot of other bands.

I'm sure if you do your research that Fall Out Boy have some songs that sink deeper than their poppy melodies, but do you care about it? No.

See what I mean?
I'm not saying I listen to the music just for the lyrics, I enjoy their musical creativity and their mind perplexing song structures as well, I just can't relate to someone who would listen to a band and not pay attention to the vocals. That's all I'm trying to get at really, not saying I wouldn't listen to an instrumental band because I do listen to some instrumental bands, it's just when I listen to songs I tend to pay attention to everything that's going on, not just the guitar or drums or whatever.

And yes, you're completely right. I could care less about any Fall Out Boy song, no matter how good the lyrics might be, they fucked themselves over already in my book. One shitty pop song is all it takes.

But yeah I see what you mean, everyone likes music for different reasons, guess I should learn to respect that.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
10-30-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
What's a good Fallout Boy Song to look up?
i guess it depends on what you are looking for
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #602

Bincount™: 391

Quote:
i guess it depends on what you are looking for
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
10-30-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBox View Post
I then asked him (since he also claims to be christian) how he felt about the lyrics of the song and if they offended him or whatever. He proceeded to say "No dude not really I mean Tool is Tool and their lyrics are what they are so if they want to write song lyrics about Eulogies then they can do that it doesn't affect me." I asked him if he even knew what the song was about and all he had to say was.
No one really knows who or what Eulogy is about anyways but I don't think it's outright about jesus, I think he only used those words metaphorically.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #603
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
I then asked him (since he also claims to be christian) how he felt about the lyrics of the song and if they offended him or whatever. He proceeded to say "No dude not really I mean Tool is Tool and their lyrics are what they are so if they want to write song lyrics about Eulogies then they can do that it doesn't affect me." I asked him if he even knew what the song was about and all he had to say was.
No one really knows who or what Eulogy is about anyways but I don't think it's outright about jesus, I think he only used those words metaphorically.
10-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
That's cuz' their emo asses suck

<edit>...in my opinion anyway
Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #604
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
That's cuz' their emo asses suck

<edit>...in my opinion anyway
10-30-2008, 12:05 PM

IMO lots of music out there is made to create a quick buck. To buff a record exec's bottom line.
You give them some cash and the songs they release make us smile and tap our foot.
The euphoria lasts about as long as a Twinkie curbs our appetite.
Give me meat and potatoes and a fine wine.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #605
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

IMO lots of music out there is made to create a quick buck. To buff a record exec's bottom line.
You give them some cash and the songs they release make us smile and tap our foot.
10-30-2008, 12:34 PM

I'm not endorsing them--I absolutely hate them. I just used them as an example in my rant.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #606
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

I'm not endorsing them--I absolutely hate them. I just used them as an example in my rant.
FatBox
10-30-2008, 02:59 PM

Yeah... Aphex Twin ftw.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #607
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yeah... Aphex Twin ftw.
10-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bozzio View Post
well even for quick buck, there has to be some value.

and what comes to euphoria, i dont see any relation to making money.

i like smiling and tapping foot. Because sometimes i am so full, i could not eat anything else than couple of twinkies.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #608

Bincount™: 391

Quote:

i like smiling and tapping foot. Because sometimes i am so full, i could not eat anything else than couple of twinkies.
gonzo's Avatar gonzo
10-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0.618 View Post

Touche.
I like twinkies also.
And a good melody. A simple song.
And there is nothing wrong with money.

And now, the part about euphoria, that seems like a non-sequiter.
However.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #609
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0.618 View Post

Touche.
I like twinkies also.
And a good melody. A simple song.
And there is nothing wrong with money.

And now, the part about euphoria, that seems like a non-sequiter.
However.
10-30-2008, 05:01 PM

I would like to say this about interpretations.

Sometime, after a few listens to Jambi, a song I keep going back to, I thought, cool, this sounds like a father talking candidly to his son. Because the first dozen times I was concentrating on the drums, bass, and guitar, and not the vocals. Sure a couple phrases stood out, but I was deep into the drums.
Then the words came in a bit more. And I thought, jesus, what a clever way to say the birth of a child can turn your life around. To me, it sounded like a man watching the peewee herman show with his son and when Jambi comes on TV, the man makes a wish that he can be a good father. Mukalukahineeho. And all that.
This is well before I got on the Tool page.
Why did I think this, I pondered.
Because, simply, I remember doing that exact thing with my son about seven years ago.
Damn my eyes, makes me think, I'll see the bad stuff for you.
Turned me around, well, that's explanatory.
Benevolent son, sun, has the two meanings.
Anyway, these are some of the reasons why this song in particular has the most resonance for me. Some of the reasons.
I think it is such a positive song.

It makes me remember, even though I don't need remembering, that I like being a pretty good father. It's bevevolent.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #610
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Sometime, after a few listens to Jambi, a song I keep going back to, I thought, cool, this sounds like a father talking candidly to his son. Because the first dozen times I was concentrating on the drums, bass, and guitar, and not the vocals. Sure a couple phrases stood out, but I was deep into the drums.
Then the words came in a bit more. And I thought, jesus, what a clever way to say the birth of a child can turn your life around. To me, it sounded like a man watching the peewee herman show with his son and when Jambi comes on TV, the man makes a wish that he can be a good father. Mukalukahineeho. And all that.
Because, simply, I remember doing that exact thing with my son about seven years ago.
Anyway, these are some of the reasons why this song in particular has the most resonance for me. Some of the reasons.

It makes me remember, even though I don't need remembering, that I like being a pretty good father. It's bevevolent.
10-31-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:

I agree, I think the song is about his son.

H. is also about his son
Old 10-31-2008, 05:44 AM   #611
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

H. is also about his son
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

H. is also about his son
Thanks for responding. Because I did sort of feel out there saying that. But it was my gut reaction, and usually my intuition is pretty good. Usually.

And I hope to keep getting little revelations and epiphanies from the lyrics and music as I continue to listen to Tool under different situations and conditions.

Still. I don't have much insight relative to others who have stood behind this band for years.
I won't proclaim to know the meanings, just that I know what the words mean to me. I take the words, like stones, and make them into something that gives me some solace. Turn the energy into something tangible, and makes me want get out there and do something.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #612
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

H. is also about his son
Thanks for responding. Because I did sort of feel out there saying that. But it was my gut reaction, and usually my intuition is pretty good. Usually.

And I hope to keep getting little revelations and epiphanies from the lyrics and music as I continue to listen to Tool under different situations and conditions.

Still. I don't have much insight relative to others who have stood behind this band for years.
I won't proclaim to know the meanings, just that I know what the words mean to me. I take the words, like stones, and make them into something that gives me some solace. Turn the energy into something tangible, and makes me want get out there and do something.
10-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Like what?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #613
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Like what?
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Like what?
Like kicking fatboxes down the road
Old 10-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #614
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Like what?
10-31-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Like what?
Play music, road hockey, basketball.
Draw a picture, paint, cut the grass.
Cook a good meal. Invite friends over.
Something, anything, but not sit in front of a fucking TV set judging others who are out there living.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #615
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Like what?
Play music, road hockey, basketball.
Draw a picture, paint, cut the grass.
Cook a good meal. Invite friends over.
Something, anything, but not sit in front of a fucking TV set judging others who are out there living.
10-31-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Or kick over a couple fatboxes. Sure. Anger is an energy.
Or write on the internet.

Here's my quick interpretation on 10,000 Days.

Vicarious--turn off the fucking TV, man.
Jambi--get out and play in the world.
Wings/10K--invite over the family, and enjoy a moment.
The Pot--worry about yourself.
Lipan Conjuring--exorcise the demons.
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned--at least the protagonist is out there doing something.
Intension/Right in Two--because half the world just does not get it.
Viginti Tres--get on with it.

You get another 27 years, what are you going to do with it?
Build something yourself, or just blow up others' ideas and endeavors.

Lateralus may have been a blueprint.
Whereas 10K is more down to earth. To me, the theme is, whatever, it's up to you now.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #616
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned--at least the protagonist is out there doing something.

Whereas 10K is more down to earth. To me, the theme is, whatever, it's up to you now.
10-31-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I lol'ed at their version of Roxanne.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #617
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
I lol'ed at their version of Roxanne.
10-31-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I like you way you described that. Could you give me your quick interpretation on Lateralus as well?
Old 10-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #618
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:

I like you way you described that. Could you give me your quick interpretation on Lateralus as well?
10-31-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Sure. Although, I am not as well versed with the second half of this record.
Off the top of my head...

The Grudge--Get over it. Use the energy wisely.
Eon Blue Sky--Maybe, try having some sex.
The Patient--Everyday we get to a breaking point, but just wait it out.
Mantra--Wait.
Schism--It's all right there for all of us. All the pieces.
Parabol--Here comes a moment.
Parabola--Live in it.
Ticks and Leeches--(Fucking record companies)
Lateralus--Now that your here, do something.

Now it gets foggy.

Disposition--Rebound and adjust. Go back to the start.
Reflection--Tweak away, but don't pine.
Triad--Use all your sensibilities. Open your heart. Your mind. Your being.
Faaip de Oiad--Quit looking to the skies, you fools, everything you need is right here in this world.

There you go.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #619
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Mantra--Wait.
Parabola--Live in it.

Now it gets foggy.

Faaip de Oiad--Quit looking to the skies, you fools, everything you need is right here in this world.

There you go.
10-31-2008, 03:28 PM

About Jambi and H.
About the snake.
I remember similar feelings when I found out we were pregnant, and I say we because it was when I finally realized that I was totally in it as well.
And I think the snake is our fears following us from day to day, dream to dream, about the unknown future we can see but can't make out all the details yet.
Until the day we see its' eyes and see the fear reflected. And in that moment of pause, an empathy is passed along.
And you get ready to make the pass.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #620
Level 12 - Scurrilous

About Jambi and H.
About the snake.
I remember similar feelings when I found out we were pregnant, and I say we because it was when I finally realized that I was totally in it as well.
And I think the snake is our fears following us from day to day, dream to dream, about the unknown future we can see but can't make out all the details yet.
Until the day we see its' eyes and see the fear reflected. And in that moment of pause, an empathy is passed along.
And you get ready to make the pass.
11-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Mantra--Wait.
Parabola--Live in it.

Now it gets foggy.

There you go.
LMAO, that's hilarious
Old 11-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #621
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Mantra--Wait.
Parabola--Live in it.

Now it gets foggy.

There you go.
LMAO, that's hilarious
11-03-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
LMAO, that's hilarious
See. I knew I was funny on Friday night.
Thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #622
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
LMAO, that's hilarious
See. I knew I was funny on Friday night.
Thanks!
11-09-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:

oh, hey, that was good!
then again, it has a different meaning to me personaly... but, i guess it can be interpreted in many ways. :)

here's the quick capsule review of my 10,000 days understanding:

Vicarious: "You know, you just loove to see things die. And, ya know, you also just hate to see things die." That's called ambivalence, but get used to it!!

Jambi: Look, there's a sun burning IN you! Check it out! Could it be used to unite the opposites? Who knows?... :)

Wings/10,000 days: Here ya go, the first "side" of the opposites: Death, Grief, loss, mourning, but, also believing and faith/hope.

The Pot: Well, you shouldn't be all black and stuff... Yer' the shiny kettle, you know? You only reflect that big, ugly and black ol' pot! Dont worry so much, cheer up and fuck "'em" good! Get it? ;)

Lipian: Mhhm, Smoke Den, Psychedelics, a litte expansion of consciousness, anybody? *thehe*

Lost Keys/Rosetta: Weell, this' the second "side" of the opposites: Joy, extasy, "foolishness" temporary insanity, but also a spiritual moment... kinda... :P

Intension: You know, all things got two sides. It's all about how and in what way you use 'em!

Right in Two: All is one! Or isnt it? Why the heck do we always have to cut things into pieces to have a better look at it? That's plain infantile! Grow up, stupid ape!

Vignity Tres: you think you know it all, dont ya? well, YOU KNOW NOTHING! NADA! ZIT! NICHTS! RIEN! accept it!

kinda different, huh? but that's just my humble opinion...
what do you think? valid? or far out? :D

cheers

Last edited by sicbanana; 11-09-2008 at 03:31 AM..
Old 11-09-2008, 03:28 AM   #623
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

oh, hey, that was good!
then again, it has a different meaning to me personaly... but, i guess it can be interpreted in many ways. :)

Vicarious: "You know, you just loove to see things die. And, ya know, you also just hate to see things die." That's called ambivalence, but get used to it!!

Jambi: Look, there's a sun burning IN you! Check it out! Could it be used to unite the opposites? Who knows?... :)

Wings/10,000 days: Here ya go, the first "side" of the opposites: Death, Grief, loss, mourning, but, also believing and faith/hope.

The Pot: Well, you shouldn't be all black and stuff... Yer' the shiny kettle, you know? You only reflect that big, ugly and black ol' pot! Dont worry so much, cheer up and fuck "'em" good! Get it? ;)

Lipian: Mhhm, Smoke Den, Psychedelics, a litte expansion of consciousness, anybody? *thehe*

Lost Keys/Rosetta: Weell, this' the second "side" of the opposites: Joy, extasy, "foolishness" temporary insanity, but also a spiritual moment... kinda... :P

Intension: You know, all things got two sides. It's all about how and in what way you use 'em!

Right in Two: All is one! Or isnt it? Why the heck do we always have to cut things into pieces to have a better look at it? That's plain infantile! Grow up, stupid ape!

Vignity Tres: you think you know it all, dont ya? well, YOU KNOW NOTHING! NADA! ZIT! NICHTS! RIEN! accept it!

cheers

Last edited by sicbanana; 11-09-2008 at 03:31 AM..
theamazingtool's Avatar theamazingtool
11-10-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicbanana View Post
oh, hey, that was good!

cheers
i like your rundown on 10k. but i dont completely agree with all of it
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #624
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicbanana View Post
oh, hey, that was good!

cheers
i like your rundown on 10k. but i dont completely agree with all of it
gonzo's Avatar gonzo
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Yes. I like it. Everybody's should be a bit different.
sicbanana, your's was better thought out than mine.
Cheers!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #625
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Yes. I like it. Everybody's should be a bit different.
sicbanana, your's was better thought out than mine.
Cheers!
11-15-2008, 06:16 PM

shit this was a pretty indepth analysis.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #626
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 92

shit this was a pretty indepth analysis.
11-17-2008, 11:33 AM

He has his moments =-)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #627
Level 12 - Scurrilous

He has his moments =-)
12-08-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
Dedicated to searchforme.

I read Kabir’s review when he first posted it, but kept away from all of the other personal reviews/interpretations, not necessarily by choice, but because there simply are too many threads to skim through and moderate. But I think that’s probably for the best. At the risk of opening myself up to the relentless hostility that occurs here, here’s the flux’s take on the new music that I have from Tool. I’ll try to keep it interesting. But I can tell you right now, if you don’t want to read for long periods of time, sorry, but I just feel like this is the only way I can truthfully talk about what this record means to me.

edit 5/8/06: Further examinations of past tool songs, which was kinda required, are found starting on page 5 of this thread.

First, I want to say that to get out of this what I got out of it, you should be familiar with Tool’s past works, especially the preceding 2 records Ænima and Lateralus. Especially a little song on Lateralus called Reflection…

Kabir, in his review, said that this record picked up right where Reflection left off. I thought that was an odd statement. Lateralus didn’t end with Reflection, but Triad. So why would this record start there? I’ve always said that Tool records follow a certain pattern, that the next release from the band sounds like the last song on the preceding record, and that the last song on any record could have very well have been on the next record, almost as if they were giving us a preview. Opiate (the song) stands out on Opiate (the album) and showed us Undertow. Flood shows us the chaotic power of Ænima, Third Eye shows us the spiritual progression of Lateralus, and I expected 10KD to be largely connected like Disposition/Reflection/Triad. I didn’t count on them to use just Reflection. But Kabir nailed it, and I was pretty amazed at his ability to see as much as he saw with only one listen.

I turned on Vicarious, Jambi, and Right in Two in a playlist last night before I went to bed. While I lay there, I had a sort of breakthrough concerning the problems that everyone who didn’t like the album, and my own first reservations about it, were talking about. “Something” apparently was missing. People weren’t being “moved” as they were with prior releases. People didn’t like that parts of older songs showed up in the new ones. People talking about Maynard’s comment that one can only do so much before basically “quitting.”
It's just as moving and just as powerful if you want it to be. You know Lateralus so well that you can allow it's songs to move over and through you with ease and that allows you to move WITH the music too, and you can feel its rhythms. Giving something new time settle isnt always easy, but 10000 days is just a continuation of Lateralus anyway so you might as well enjoy them all under the one hood.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #628
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
Dedicated to searchforme.

I read Kabir’s review when he first posted it, but kept away from all of the other personal reviews/interpretations, not necessarily by choice, but because there simply are too many threads to skim through and moderate. But I think that’s probably for the best. At the risk of opening myself up to the relentless hostility that occurs here, here’s the flux’s take on the new music that I have from Tool. I’ll try to keep it interesting. But I can tell you right now, if you don’t want to read for long periods of time, sorry, but I just feel like this is the only way I can truthfully talk about what this record means to me.

edit 5/8/06: Further examinations of past tool songs, which was kinda required, are found starting on page 5 of this thread.

First, I want to say that to get out of this what I got out of it, you should be familiar with Tool’s past works, especially the preceding 2 records Ænima and Lateralus. Especially a little song on Lateralus called Reflection…

Kabir, in his review, said that this record picked up right where Reflection left off. I thought that was an odd statement. Lateralus didn’t end with Reflection, but Triad. So why would this record start there? I’ve always said that Tool records follow a certain pattern, that the next release from the band sounds like the last song on the preceding record, and that the last song on any record could have very well have been on the next record, almost as if they were giving us a preview. Opiate (the song) stands out on Opiate (the album) and showed us Undertow. Flood shows us the chaotic power of Ænima, Third Eye shows us the spiritual progression of Lateralus, and I expected 10KD to be largely connected like Disposition/Reflection/Triad. I didn’t count on them to use just Reflection. But Kabir nailed it, and I was pretty amazed at his ability to see as much as he saw with only one listen.

I turned on Vicarious, Jambi, and Right in Two in a playlist last night before I went to bed. While I lay there, I had a sort of breakthrough concerning the problems that everyone who didn’t like the album, and my own first reservations about it, were talking about. “Something” apparently was missing. People weren’t being “moved” as they were with prior releases. People didn’t like that parts of older songs showed up in the new ones. People talking about Maynard’s comment that one can only do so much before basically “quitting.”
It's just as moving and just as powerful if you want it to be. You know Lateralus so well that you can allow it's songs to move over and through you with ease and that allows you to move WITH the music too, and you can feel its rhythms. Giving something new time settle isnt always easy, but 10000 days is just a continuation of Lateralus anyway so you might as well enjoy them all under the one hood.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply