Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
01-31-2007, 09:23 PM

^ Word

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #721
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16
Re: 04 - 10,000 Days (Wings pt 2) lyrics

^ Word

OFFLINE |  
bassmaster's Avatar bassmaster
02-05-2007, 11:52 AM

I hear the word "siblings" a lot more clearly than "flippants", and it makes actual sense.

And yes, he does sing "I'm gonna let it shine" as you can hear 7 syllables for that phrase if you listen closely, not to mention the official lyrics state it anyway.

Last edited by bassmaster; 02-05-2007 at 11:54 AM..
Old 02-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #722
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I hear the word "siblings" a lot more clearly than "flippants", and it makes actual sense.

And yes, he does sing "I'm gonna let it shine" as you can hear 7 syllables for that phrase if you listen closely, not to mention the official lyrics state it anyway.

Last edited by bassmaster; 02-05-2007 at 11:54 AM..
OFFLINE |  
02-06-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post

A) The 'official' lyrics on more than one occasion on this album and others have not been what was recorded.

B) The number of syllables in "I'm gonna let it shine" is only 6, not 7. Maybe that was a typo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
Now that does make sense. But "kinda like I'mna" is also, not "I'm gonna..."
I wasn't saying "kinda like I'mna" - I was saying it's said kind of in a way that sounds like "I'mna" and not "I'm gonna" - as in, "I'mna let it shine to guide you safely on your way."

Old 02-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #723
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

A) The 'official' lyrics on more than one occasion on this album and others have not been what was recorded.

B) The number of syllables in "I'm gonna let it shine" is only 6, not 7. Maybe that was a typo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
Now that does make sense. But "kinda like I'mna" is also, not "I'm gonna..."
I wasn't saying "kinda like I'mna" - I was saying it's said kind of in a way that sounds like "I'mna" and not "I'm gonna" - as in, "I'mna let it shine to guide you safely on your way."

OFFLINE |  
benjamin's Avatar benjamin
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
No, I know. I meant only to quote YOUR thoughts not what you said he was saying.... W/ emphasis on the "kinda" to acknowledge it wasn't actually sung "I'm gonna..." : = : <<seeing eye-to-eye...)

Yeah we both tend to understand that when we're talking about what he's saying, there's a diference even in I'm gonna and I'mna... lol, anyway.

Peeve. ; )
Old 02-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #724
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
No, I know. I meant only to quote YOUR thoughts not what you said he was saying.... W/ emphasis on the "kinda" to acknowledge it wasn't actually sung "I'm gonna..." : = : <<seeing eye-to-eye...)

Yeah we both tend to understand that when we're talking about what he's saying, there's a diference even in I'm gonna and I'mna... lol, anyway.

Peeve. ; )
02-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:

A) The official lyrics in this instance are correct. Siblings is the word uttered (well I'm definitely hearing it anyway), and makes vastly more sense imo.

B) Yeah, typo, sorry.
The vocal attack on the 'g' of "gonna" is quite soft, but it is the word he's singing.

On a tangent, as for the end of the bridge of Right in Two, it could be any number of things tbh.

Last edited by bassmaster; 02-07-2007 at 09:36 AM..
Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #725
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

A) The official lyrics in this instance are correct. Siblings is the word uttered (well I'm definitely hearing it anyway), and makes vastly more sense imo.

B) Yeah, typo, sorry.
The vocal attack on the 'g' of "gonna" is quite soft, but it is the word he's singing.

On a tangent, as for the end of the bridge of Right in Two, it could be any number of things tbh.

Last edited by bassmaster; 02-07-2007 at 09:36 AM..
OFFLINE |  
02-07-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Were you hearing 'siblings' before or after you read the 'official' lyrics? Because I'm pretty sure it hadn't been suggested in any of the "What's He Saying??" threads.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #726
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Were you hearing 'siblings' before or after you read the 'official' lyrics? Because I'm pretty sure it hadn't been suggested in any of the "What's He Saying??" threads.

OFFLINE |  
benjamin's Avatar benjamin
02-07-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
A) The official lyrics in this instance are correct. Siblings is the word uttered (well I'm definitely hearing it anyway), and makes vastly more sense imo..

If 'siblings' makes soo much more sense. Mind telling what siblings you think he's talking about.

Still sounds like "I'll" to me. No M-sound, G-sound, no O, N, or N-sounds...??? wtf? "I'LL LET"VE SHUN BUT GUIDE ES SAFELY ON YOUR WIIIII NG YOUR WAY HOME." this is a literal example of what I hear. I interperet it this way; I already've shunned but god is safely on your wing: your way home.

Call me crazy.
Peace.

Last edited by benjamin; 02-07-2007 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: :nosae
Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #727
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
A) The official lyrics in this instance are correct. Siblings is the word uttered (well I'm definitely hearing it anyway), and makes vastly more sense imo..

If 'siblings' makes soo much more sense. Mind telling what siblings you think he's talking about.

Still sounds like "I'll" to me. No M-sound, G-sound, no O, N, or N-sounds...??? wtf? "I'LL LET"VE SHUN BUT GUIDE ES SAFELY ON YOUR WIIIII NG YOUR WAY HOME." this is a literal example of what I hear. I interperet it this way; I already've shunned but god is safely on your wing: your way home.

Call me crazy.
Peace.

Last edited by benjamin; 02-07-2007 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: :nosae
OFFLINE |  
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
02-08-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Well, you'd be wrong...

From 05-05-2006, 06:33 AM (post 246, page 7):

Quote:
Originally Posted by assailing eyes View Post
forgive me if this has been mentioned, but im so so sure its "ignorant siblings in the congregation" as opposed to "ignorant fibbers". just give it a listen with that in mind.
Where are your "flippants" now Benjamin? :)

One thing I am going to go ahead and disagree with from the official lyrics is this:

"Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescents." (from Wings Pt.1 & 2)

"Fluorescents" as a pluralised noun? WTF is a fluorescent (as opposed to a fluorescent thing)? And why are there a bunch of them hanging around after the daylight dims? Surely "fluorescence" is what was intended. Amirite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
fluo·res·cent /flʊˈrɛsənt, flɔ-, floʊ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[floo-res-uhnt, flaw-, floh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
adjective
1. possessing the property of fluorescence; exhibiting fluorescence.
2. strikingly bright, vivid, or glowing: plastic toys in fluorescent colors.
noun
3. a lighting fixture that utilizes a fluorescent lamp.
Why would there be a collection of lighting fixtures there after the daylight dims?

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 02-08-2007 at 04:59 AM..
Old 02-08-2007, 04:45 AM   #728
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Well, you'd be wrong...

From 05-05-2006, 06:33 AM (post 246, page 7):

Quote:
Originally Posted by assailing eyes View Post
forgive me if this has been mentioned, but im so so sure its "ignorant siblings in the congregation" as opposed to "ignorant fibbers". just give it a listen with that in mind.
Where are your "flippants" now Benjamin? :)

One thing I am going to go ahead and disagree with from the official lyrics is this:

"Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescents." (from Wings Pt.1 & 2)

"Fluorescents" as a pluralised noun? WTF is a fluorescent (as opposed to a fluorescent thing)? And why are there a bunch of them hanging around after the daylight dims? Surely "fluorescence" is what was intended. Amirite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
fluo·res·cent /flʊˈrɛsənt, flɔ-, floʊ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[floo-res-uhnt, flaw-, floh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
adjective
1. possessing the property of fluorescence; exhibiting fluorescence.
2. strikingly bright, vivid, or glowing: plastic toys in fluorescent colors.
noun
3. a lighting fixture that utilizes a fluorescent lamp.
Why would there be a collection of lighting fixtures there after the daylight dims?

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 02-08-2007 at 04:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
bassmaster's Avatar bassmaster
02-08-2007, 05:53 AM

It's part metaphorial and part literal imo.
When my father died it felt like the light had gone out in the world.
Fluorescent could be the light from the hospital.

And it doesn't matter what's been posted on this forum as I've only been on here a couple weeks so I'm unlikely to have read every post.

The 's' sound in 'siblings' is identical to the 's' sound in 'spewing sympathy'.
Listen and I'm sure you'll hear it too.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #729
Level 7 - Loquacious

And it doesn't matter what's been posted on this forum as I've only been on here a couple weeks so I'm unlikely to have read every post.

The 's' sound in 'siblings' is identical to the 's' sound in 'spewing sympathy'.
OFFLINE |  
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
02-08-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I totally get all that. I'm just saying it should be "fluorescence" and not "fluorescents". It's a grammar thing.

Quote:
Yeah, I was just pointing Blanketeffect's silly mistake (search ftw). And welcome to TDN btw :)

Quote:
I agree that it's "siblings" though I thought "fibbers" was more likely before the official lyrics.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:10 AM   #730
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
I totally get all that. I'm just saying it should be "fluorescence" and not "fluorescents". It's a grammar thing.

Quote:
Yeah, I was just pointing Blanketeffect's silly mistake (search ftw). And welcome to TDN btw :)

Quote:
I agree that it's "siblings" though I thought "fibbers" was more likely before the official lyrics.
02-08-2007, 07:36 AM

I agree with you on the fluorescence point.
And I too was mentioning that to Blanket Effect lol.
And once more I too thought it was fibbers but now I can definitely hear siblings.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #731
Level 7 - Loquacious

I agree with you on the fluorescence point.
And I too was mentioning that to Blanket Effect lol.
And once more I too thought it was fibbers but now I can definitely hear siblings.
OFFLINE |  
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
02-14-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb View Post
What are you talking about? He is talking about fluorescent lights. Fluorescents, plural. Simple as that. Perhaps his grammar would be more correct if he said "fluorescent lights" but that spoils the lyrical flow. Absolute correct grammar is often left at the door in poetry and lyrics. And besides, fluorescents is commonly used as a short way of saying fluorescent lights in the lighting industry.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:55 AM   #732
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb View Post
What are you talking about? He is talking about fluorescent lights. Fluorescents, plural. Simple as that. Perhaps his grammar would be more correct if he said "fluorescent lights" but that spoils the lyrical flow. Absolute correct grammar is often left at the door in poetry and lyrics. And besides, fluorescents is commonly used as a short way of saying fluorescent lights in the lighting industry.
OFFLINE |  
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
02-14-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises View Post
Wait a minute. What are YOU talking about? What kind of pointless discussion is this? Go to bed...
Old 02-14-2007, 05:56 AM   #733
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises View Post
Wait a minute. What are YOU talking about? What kind of pointless discussion is this? Go to bed...
OFFLINE |  
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
02-14-2007, 07:14 AM

lol
Old 02-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #734
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

lol
OFFLINE |  
voluptuary
03-07-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluptuary View Post
in this line "Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence" i think is should be "Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescents" as in hospital lights where he might be sitting next to his mother as she dies telling her all of this. thats how i see it anyways this is all one big goodbye as he is sitting next to his mother on her death bed holding her hand in a hospital or someplace similar.

edit : also in the line "Burden of proof tossed upon the believers" i also here UNbelievers

HA! i was right... everyone said "no... no... why would he say fluorescents?" silly people.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #735
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluptuary View Post
in this line "Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence" i think is should be "Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescents" as in hospital lights where he might be sitting next to his mother as she dies telling her all of this. thats how i see it anyways this is all one big goodbye as he is sitting next to his mother on her death bed holding her hand in a hospital or someplace similar.

edit : also in the line "Burden of proof tossed upon the believers" i also here UNbelievers

HA! i was right... everyone said "no... no... why would he say fluorescents?" silly people.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply