Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Ontages
08-26-2009, 06:46 PM

This could just be me but i've noticed a recurring biblical theme. There are many references to god, heaven, angelic beings, and prophets. Tell me what you think?

Jambi - Son = Jesus
Wings for Marie (Pt 1), 10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2) - Judith Marie = Angel
Rosetta Stoned - unknown person = Fail Prophet
Right in Two - God and how he has blessed us with such fortunate abilities yet we are not worthy and have abused what he as given us.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
10,000 days theme: biblical?

This could just be me but i've noticed a recurring biblical theme. There are many references to god, heaven, angelic beings, and prophets. Tell me what you think?

Jambi - Son = Jesus
Right in Two - God and how he has blessed us with such fortunate abilities yet we are not worthy and have abused what he as given us.
08-27-2009, 01:14 AM

Nah

edit: Some parts yeah, not the overall vibe I get from it

Last edited by CCP; 08-27-2009 at 01:28 AM..
Old 08-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
CCP
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Re: 10,000 days theme: biblical?

Nah

edit: Some parts yeah, not the overall vibe I get from it

Last edited by CCP; 08-27-2009 at 01:28 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
08-27-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontages View Post

Jambi - Son = Jesus
If you could just further explain your theory?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #3

Bincount™: 391

Quote:

Jambi - Son = Jesus
If you could just further explain your theory?
Ontages
08-27-2009, 04:52 AM

I didn't really develop too much of a theory to be honest but really, i just noticed some connections.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

I didn't really develop too much of a theory to be honest but really, i just noticed some connections.
08-27-2009, 07:11 AM

Their music can make reference to just about anything religious without it being "biblical", ya' know
Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Their music can make reference to just about anything religious without it being "biblical", ya' know
08-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Could be... except to be honest i tend to think of Jambi more as relating to Jesus, the son, "of the holy father" lol jkjk. And Inner Eulogy, even though there might be some Buddhist influence in some of their music, i think just like opiate the song, they are specifically talking about Christianity. The idea of angels, Jesus, and god creating us seems more Christian than other religons.

Last edited by Ontages; 08-27-2009 at 08:49 PM..
Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Could be... except to be honest i tend to think of Jambi more as relating to Jesus, the son, "of the holy father" lol jkjk. And Inner Eulogy, even though there might be some Buddhist influence in some of their music, i think just like opiate the song, they are specifically talking about Christianity. The idea of angels, Jesus, and god creating us seems more Christian than other religons.

Last edited by Ontages; 08-27-2009 at 08:49 PM..
CCP
08-28-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisu View Post
I have to agree, it does have a sort of biblical/christian type vibe through most the album. I think it's sort of paying respects to Maynard's mother's faith.
I'm sure his mother was a jew
Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #7
CCP
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
I have to agree, it does have a sort of biblical/christian type vibe through most the album. I think it's sort of paying respects to Maynard's mother's faith.
I'm sure his mother was a jew
slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
08-28-2009, 03:20 AM

anyone respectable person losing a parent after such a long time in a condition like hers, is more than likely to exercise a few different spiritual paths.

it shows in his writing. but instrumentally? how would you consider it biblical? everything you have mentioned is only lyrical, 1/4 of the band. do you think the other 3 guys are all up into jesus?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #8
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

anyone respectable person losing a parent after such a long time in a condition like hers, is more than likely to exercise a few different spiritual paths.

it shows in his writing. but instrumentally? how would you consider it biblical? everything you have mentioned is only lyrical, 1/4 of the band. do you think the other 3 guys are all up into jesus?
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
08-28-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess I should clarify myself a little better. While I agree that there are references to religion (christianity in some cases if you truly need to be specific), however, I just hate to hear some bible thumper running around actually thinking Maynard went and got religious, or found Jesus, haha, hence the April fool's joke years ago. While I agree that he may have found a better personal "spiritual" path as he's grown, he most definitely has not actually sided with any specific religion; even if he pays homage to his mother's faith. I believe the references he does make to "father", for instance, are meant subjectively.

And don't misconstrue what I was saying either, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone saying that this is what they've said here, but I have heard it from some in the past which holds about as much water as the same ones that claimed they were satan worshippers and liked to sleep with dead bodies (necrophilia).

You know, those unintelligent gullible types.

Last edited by Inner_Eulogy; 08-28-2009 at 06:17 AM..
Old 08-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Well, I guess I should clarify myself a little better. While I agree that there are references to religion (christianity in some cases if you truly need to be specific), however, I just hate to hear some bible thumper running around actually thinking Maynard went and got religious, or found Jesus, haha, hence the April fool's joke years ago. While I agree that he may have found a better personal "spiritual" path as he's grown, he most definitely has not actually sided with any specific religion; even if he pays homage to his mother's faith. I believe the references he does make to "father", for instance, are meant subjectively.

And don't misconstrue what I was saying either, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone saying that this is what they've said here, but I have heard it from some in the past which holds about as much water as the same ones that claimed they were satan worshippers and liked to sleep with dead bodies (necrophilia).

You know, those unintelligent gullible types.

Last edited by Inner_Eulogy; 08-28-2009 at 06:17 AM..
crincled
08-28-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
after trashing his mother's name on "judith", it's no wonder he found the error in his ways and hence this album is full of "biblical" references...
Old 08-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

Quote:
after trashing his mother's name on "judith", it's no wonder he found the error in his ways and hence this album is full of "biblical" references...
crincled
08-28-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Trashed her name? I wouldn't say that. And you realize that song written before she died? Don't really get what you're trying to say...
cmon. he belittles her for being faithful (judith), and then praises her for always having faith (10000 days).

My first impression after listening to judith was that she was a moron. my first impression after listening to 10000 days was that she was an angel.

Is it really that hard to grasp?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
On Probation

Quote:
Trashed her name? I wouldn't say that. And you realize that song written before she died? Don't really get what you're trying to say...
cmon. he belittles her for being faithful (judith), and then praises her for always having faith (10000 days).

My first impression after listening to judith was that she was a moron. my first impression after listening to 10000 days was that she was an angel.

Is it really that hard to grasp?
08-29-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
But I think Maynard still stands by his "Fuck your God" belted out in Judith.
Quote:
Initially in the song, I say “fuck your god,” but, I’m not really saying fuck the ACTUAL god, I’m just saying fuck YOUR god – the god that would isolate people, and punish. Genesis 1:1: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God.” In the original text, that word was Yahweh or Jehovah, which means “light” and “love.” We’ve kind of twisted it to mean this guy with a beard passing judgment. But it’s not. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was “love” and “light” – infinite, unconditional, and without judgment. At that point, you can pretty much close the book. It’s very crazy to me, everything that’s going on in the world in the name of a religion. Fundamentalist extremists just messing stuff up. If they all just get together and realize: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was LOVE.” Seems like a pretty simple concept, but people just can’t quite seem to grasp it…
Commentary
Old 08-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #12

Quote:
But I think Maynard still stands by his "Fuck your God" belted out in Judith.
Quote:
Initially in the song, I say “fuck your god,” but, I’m not really saying fuck the ACTUAL god, I’m just saying fuck YOUR god – the god that would isolate people, and punish. Genesis 1:1: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God.” In the original text, that word was Yahweh or Jehovah, which means “light” and “love.” We’ve kind of twisted it to mean this guy with a beard passing judgment. But it’s not. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was “love” and “light” – infinite, unconditional, and without judgment. At that point, you can pretty much close the book. It’s very crazy to me, everything that’s going on in the world in the name of a religion. Fundamentalist extremists just messing stuff up. If they all just get together and realize: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was LOVE.” Seems like a pretty simple concept, but people just can’t quite seem to grasp it…
Commentary
The Pit
08-29-2009, 11:28 AM

I always thought that 10,000 days was about vices, (and that does include religion) Vicarious - the whole living vicarious through someone elses life or watching graphic things on tv. The Pot is sometimes considered to be about the hypocritalness of condemming recreational drug use while using other, more disscreet drugs, be it a prescibed or a simple stimulant such as coffee. Right in two was the one I thought that was about religion. I thought it was taken from the perspective of two angels talking. Although the idea of religion as the old 'opiate of the masses' idea is just one idea you could take from it I guess
Old 08-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

I always thought that 10,000 days was about vices, (and that does include religion) Vicarious - the whole living vicarious through someone elses life or watching graphic things on tv. The Pot is sometimes considered to be about the hypocritalness of condemming recreational drug use while using other, more disscreet drugs, be it a prescibed or a simple stimulant such as coffee. Right in two was the one I thought that was about religion. I thought it was taken from the perspective of two angels talking. Although the idea of religion as the old 'opiate of the masses' idea is just one idea you could take from it I guess
08-29-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Was that supposed to contradict what I said? Because I don't feel that it did.
just referencing
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #14

Quote:
just referencing
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
08-29-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say Maynard was trying to call her a moron. I saw it as just frustration, because he simply could not understand her undying faith, even in such a ridiculously terrible position.
I agree with this. Maynard's frustration in this song is an attack on God for letting his mother down although she is so devoted to him.
Quote:
While true, 10,000 Days is nearly opposite to Judith, I don't think it's correcting the "error in his ways". It's more just looking at her attitude in another light. From the aspect of any Christian, her unconditional faith is incredibly admirable, and she could very well be praised when she reaches Heaven. But I think Maynard still stands by his "Fuck your God" belted out in Judith.
Yes, i think this song is just a way of saying; "I don't believe in your religion, but i respect that you do. I hope you find the peace you were looking for, farewell..."
Old 08-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
I wouldn't say Maynard was trying to call her a moron. I saw it as just frustration, because he simply could not understand her undying faith, even in such a ridiculously terrible position.
I agree with this. Maynard's frustration in this song is an attack on God for letting his mother down although she is so devoted to him.
Quote:
While true, 10,000 Days is nearly opposite to Judith, I don't think it's correcting the "error in his ways". It's more just looking at her attitude in another light. From the aspect of any Christian, her unconditional faith is incredibly admirable, and she could very well be praised when she reaches Heaven. But I think Maynard still stands by his "Fuck your God" belted out in Judith.
Yes, i think this song is just a way of saying; "I don't believe in your religion, but i respect that you do. I hope you find the peace you were looking for, farewell..."
08-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
No every reply is an attack, you know.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Jedi Master

Quote:
No every reply is an attack, you know.
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:

My grandma is a very faithful Christian. I find it incredibly hard to grasp her perspective, but I would never call her a moron.

Exactly, glad to see somebody that gets it.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

My grandma is a very faithful Christian. I find it incredibly hard to grasp her perspective, but I would never call her a moron.

Exactly, glad to see somebody that gets it.
09-01-2009, 06:46 PM

get a room, you two.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #18
On Probation

get a room, you two.
09-02-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crincled View Post
get a room, you two.
Nah, he lives too far
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #19
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
get a room, you two.
Nah, he lives too far
09-02-2009, 11:00 AM

theres always sexcams...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
On Probation

theres always sexcams...
Megalodony
09-02-2009, 11:56 AM

I never thought as 10,000 Days to be biblical in any way, shape or form. There are hints of religious aspects perhaps, but in a mocking way.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #21
Banned.

Bincount™: 289

I never thought as 10,000 Days to be biblical in any way, shape or form. There are hints of religious aspects perhaps, but in a mocking way.
09-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
theres always sexcams...
My webcam broke last week when huge jism splatter got all over it and seeped into the electronics, for now I'll just have to use my imagination I guess
Old 09-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #22
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
theres always sexcams...
My webcam broke last week when huge jism splatter got all over it and seeped into the electronics, for now I'll just have to use my imagination I guess
09-03-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Actually, I'm only about an hour from Chicago...
Well then, come ooonnnnnnn dooowwwwwwnnnnn

(in my best Bob Barker voice)
Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #23
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Actually, I'm only about an hour from Chicago...
Well then, come ooonnnnnnn dooowwwwwwnnnnn

(in my best Bob Barker voice)
09-03-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
thanks for the info
Old 09-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #24
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
thanks for the info
09-03-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
thanks for the info
No problem...I'll be sure to post all of my homosexual fantasies in a little thread made just for you
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #25
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
thanks for the info
No problem...I'll be sure to post all of my homosexual fantasies in a little thread made just for you
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
okay, back on track now I say.
=-) Where were we again?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
okay, back on track now I say.
=-) Where were we again?
09-04-2009, 12:48 PM

Load Allmarshie! I like 10k better than the bible. It's easier to dance to.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #27
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

09-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
That damn book won't even fit in my CD-player anyway :P
Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #28
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
That damn book won't even fit in my CD-player anyway :P

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply