Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST (thanks to TheRuleOfThree)

Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-22-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
07.21.09 - Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Arena

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST (thanks to TheRuleOfThree)

Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-22-2009 at 09:22 AM..
OFFLINE |  
sonnyboy11's Avatar sonnyboy11
07-21-2009, 09:24 PM

What great fuggin show. Maybe it's just cause I have not seen them in a while to some extent. Lots of highs and a few lows. I'll post more soon.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 07-21-2009 at 09:29 PM..
Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20
Re: 07.21.09 - Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Arena

What great fuggin show. Maybe it's just cause I have not seen them in a while to some extent. Lots of highs and a few lows. I'll post more soon.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 07-21-2009 at 09:29 PM..
OFFLINE |  
no_name's Avatar no_name
07-21-2009, 09:41 PM

Great show! Will post more shortly! Best show since 2002 imo.

Haven't seen any actual painted pictures yet. Found these for sale tonight though:
http://img199.imageshack.us/i/img0134ptz.jpg/
http://img33.imageshack.us/i/img0133f.jpg/
http://img16.imageshack.us/i/img0132apk.jpg/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589k3Ts9uiE

Ok, lot's to talk about. This was my third show of this tour, forth consecutive show, and 9th overall. A lot of interesting/good things happened to me today that put me in an even more ecstatic state of mind. Wasn't sure if i was going to have any trouble getting the tickets in will call. To my surprise people were able to go in and get merchandise even without a ticket. Maybe that's typical and i just never noticed. I got there just as they delivered a stack of signed posters. They said they had already sold out of the ones they sold earlier. This was during the time Tweak Bird was playing. I got one of tonight's posters autographed as you can see in the first picture i posted above. The other two are from the previous two nights. Anyway, on to the show info. They started off with Jambi and all was the same as Sunday night. Tonight I felt that maynard (Or simply as 'M' as he is signing his name these days) found his groove and really pushed himself to put forth some solidly clean lyrics on parts that I hadn't heard him really do before. One thing I noticed was that he left the stage way more frequently than normal. I got the suspicion he was doing this just to hear the massive applause when he returned to the stage. I'm not sure that would ever get old, if i was him. speculation. Anyway, they invited the drummer from Tweakbird to play lateralus and that shit blew me away! I am so fucking excited right now. i need to gather my thoughts. I think that on Thursday night I will reflect full on each of the past four shows and give strucutured reviews of each. I will also post all the maynardisms from the shows too.

Last edited by no_name; 07-22-2009 at 12:16 AM..
Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Great show! Will post more shortly! Best show since 2002 imo.

Haven't seen any actual painted pictures yet. Found these for sale tonight though:
http://img199.imageshack.us/i/img0134ptz.jpg/
http://img33.imageshack.us/i/img0133f.jpg/
http://img16.imageshack.us/i/img0132apk.jpg/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589k3Ts9uiE

Ok, lot's to talk about. This was my third show of this tour, forth consecutive show, and 9th overall. A lot of interesting/good things happened to me today that put me in an even more ecstatic state of mind. Wasn't sure if i was going to have any trouble getting the tickets in will call. To my surprise people were able to go in and get merchandise even without a ticket. Maybe that's typical and i just never noticed. I got there just as they delivered a stack of signed posters. They said they had already sold out of the ones they sold earlier. This was during the time Tweak Bird was playing. I got one of tonight's posters autographed as you can see in the first picture i posted above. The other two are from the previous two nights. Anyway, on to the show info. They started off with Jambi and all was the same as Sunday night. Tonight I felt that maynard (Or simply as 'M' as he is signing his name these days) found his groove and really pushed himself to put forth some solidly clean lyrics on parts that I hadn't heard him really do before. One thing I noticed was that he left the stage way more frequently than normal. I got the suspicion he was doing this just to hear the massive applause when he returned to the stage. I'm not sure that would ever get old, if i was him. speculation. Anyway, they invited the drummer from Tweakbird to play lateralus and that shit blew me away! I am so fucking excited right now. i need to gather my thoughts. I think that on Thursday night I will reflect full on each of the past four shows and give strucutured reviews of each. I will also post all the maynardisms from the shows too.

Last edited by no_name; 07-22-2009 at 12:16 AM..
OFFLINE |  
goodGod
07-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Tonight was great ... I thought a little more fluidity to the concert.

Using Vicarious to end the show is really not the best option - especially with the videos we have.

EDITED by kabir.
please do not post "dream setlists".
this is mentioned at http://toolshed.down.net/tour/addconc.php

Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Tonight was great ... I thought a little more fluidity to the concert.

Using Vicarious to end the show is really not the best option - especially with the videos we have.

EDITED by kabir.
please do not post "dream setlists".
this is mentioned at http://toolshed.down.net/tour/addconc.php

OFFLINE |  
dynohmike
07-21-2009, 10:04 PM

tonight was awesome! started off really hot and it continued (for me at least) until rosetta stoned. it seemed to lose a bit of momentum but then again that could be me. flood brought it all back up and AENIMA JUST TORE THE ROOF OFF! that was a great surprise. no one can claim anything but the best from that show. great stuff.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

tonight was awesome! started off really hot and it continued (for me at least) until rosetta stoned. it seemed to lose a bit of momentum but then again that could be me. flood brought it all back up and AENIMA JUST TORE THE ROOF OFF! that was a great surprise. no one can claim anything but the best from that show. great stuff.
OFFLINE |  
dynohmike
07-21-2009, 10:06 PM

by the way - tweak bird's drummer did a great job on lateralus. to me it added an indie rock kinda vibe to the band. theyre very meticulous and his drumming was totally on but it had a different vibe to it and i REALLY loved it. hats off to him for doing a great job on the solo!! not an easy thing to do at all.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

by the way - tweak bird's drummer did a great job on lateralus. to me it added an indie rock kinda vibe to the band. theyre very meticulous and his drumming was totally on but it had a different vibe to it and i REALLY loved it. hats off to him for doing a great job on the solo!! not an easy thing to do at all.
OFFLINE |  
TheRuleOfThree's Avatar TheRuleOfThree
07-21-2009, 10:09 PM

Amazing show. Happy to see the setlist transmitted well!

Highlights for me were 46 & 2, Rosetta Stoned, Lateralus...

But AENEMA was EPIC. SOOOOO good. And the crowd cheered every time he said "Arizona Bay" which was funny. It was so good to hear them all in sync at the end of the song, and the VISUALS - god they were amazing. Lasers, crazy lights, clips from the video... and the best part was on the final snare hit, all the lights went out and the "Interbeing" painting came up on the screen behind the band.

The entire band seemed like they were in good spirits tonight and seemed almost completely together for the entire show. Justin has such a great energy and for some reason after watching Adam all these years play so stoically, seeing him bob his head along to the music just gives you a good feeling. Danny is Danny, what else can you say? And Maynard was fantastic as well.

As the band played "Stinkfist" and the arena was filled with lights, beautiful music and a general sense of warmth and community, I was struck by the lines -

"Something kinda sad about
The way that things have come to be
Desensitized to everything -
What became of subtlety?"

I think that we get a little frustrated because we follow the minutia of this band and know when they're playing the same songs. But every song is a little piece of them and we shouldn't spend our time complaining about it not being enough. I totally understand that the Tool that plays shows in 2009 is different from the Tool that played shows in 2002 and 1997, and that some people expect to get more for their money. But tonight I can say that it's clear that this band puts every dollar of the ticket to good use. A show with this many moving pieces takes a lot to pull off, and they have a pretty substantial crew who all need transport, feeding and assistance.

Anyway, long story short.... Bravo. An amazing experience.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 23

Amazing show. Happy to see the setlist transmitted well!

Highlights for me were 46 & 2, Rosetta Stoned, Lateralus...

But AENEMA was EPIC. SOOOOO good. And the crowd cheered every time he said "Arizona Bay" which was funny. It was so good to hear them all in sync at the end of the song, and the VISUALS - god they were amazing. Lasers, crazy lights, clips from the video... and the best part was on the final snare hit, all the lights went out and the "Interbeing" painting came up on the screen behind the band.

The entire band seemed like they were in good spirits tonight and seemed almost completely together for the entire show. Justin has such a great energy and for some reason after watching Adam all these years play so stoically, seeing him bob his head along to the music just gives you a good feeling. Danny is Danny, what else can you say? And Maynard was fantastic as well.

As the band played "Stinkfist" and the arena was filled with lights, beautiful music and a general sense of warmth and community, I was struck by the lines -

"Something kinda sad about
The way that things have come to be
Desensitized to everything -
What became of subtlety?"

I think that we get a little frustrated because we follow the minutia of this band and know when they're playing the same songs. But every song is a little piece of them and we shouldn't spend our time complaining about it not being enough. I totally understand that the Tool that plays shows in 2009 is different from the Tool that played shows in 2002 and 1997, and that some people expect to get more for their money. But tonight I can say that it's clear that this band puts every dollar of the ticket to good use. A show with this many moving pieces takes a lot to pull off, and they have a pretty substantial crew who all need transport, feeding and assistance.

Anyway, long story short.... Bravo. An amazing experience.
OFFLINE |  
tooligan5
07-21-2009, 10:10 PM

7th show, very solid. while set was quite expected, aenima was a pleasant surprise. i was holding out for third eye, but when maynard told danny the show wasnt over after rosetta, i knew something was up. ill take arizona bay any day. however, i do assume this is not the song junior mentioned as them soundchecking prior to denver, which he hopes makes the cut (as it was played in 06/07).

excellent show, all members seemed into it. danny rocked a suns jersey, justin animated as always, adam moved around more than i have ever seen, and even maynard was quite animated.

big negative to the stage crew, and side sound man. i was side stage seats (left), went down to ask (hell, almost beg) for a setlist (which I saw sitting on the side stage, and on maynards podium), to which i was denied by at least 5 people, and then security obliterated me until i left. 5 out of last 6 last shows ive snagged a set, not being GA screwed me, i needed to be close to junior. oh well, damn roadies. junior, good work as always, greatly appreciate your input to the forums, wish i could have made it down to chat with you again.

peace the fuck out. he he he he he he
Phoenix 10/30/01, Tucson 7/18/02, Tempe 5/6/06, Los Angeles 9/7/06, Los Angeles 9/8/06, Tucson 5/6/07, Phoenix 7/21/09, Las Vegas 7/16/10, Tucson 1/17/12, Phoenix 3/17/14, Tempe 10/31/15, San Francisco 1/6/16, Salt Lake 10/24/16
Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

7th show, very solid. while set was quite expected, aenima was a pleasant surprise. i was holding out for third eye, but when maynard told danny the show wasnt over after rosetta, i knew something was up. ill take arizona bay any day. however, i do assume this is not the song junior mentioned as them soundchecking prior to denver, which he hopes makes the cut (as it was played in 06/07).

excellent show, all members seemed into it. danny rocked a suns jersey, justin animated as always, adam moved around more than i have ever seen, and even maynard was quite animated.

big negative to the stage crew, and side sound man. i was side stage seats (left), went down to ask (hell, almost beg) for a setlist (which I saw sitting on the side stage, and on maynards podium), to which i was denied by at least 5 people, and then security obliterated me until i left. 5 out of last 6 last shows ive snagged a set, not being GA screwed me, i needed to be close to junior. oh well, damn roadies. junior, good work as always, greatly appreciate your input to the forums, wish i could have made it down to chat with you again.

peace the fuck out. he he he he he he
Phoenix 10/30/01, Tucson 7/18/02, Tempe 5/6/06, Los Angeles 9/7/06, Los Angeles 9/8/06, Tucson 5/6/07, Phoenix 7/21/09, Las Vegas 7/16/10, Tucson 1/17/12, Phoenix 3/17/14, Tempe 10/31/15, San Francisco 1/6/16, Salt Lake 10/24/16
OFFLINE |  
dynohmike
07-21-2009, 10:13 PM

tooligan5 you brought up a good point i didn't mention before... adam was WAY more physically active than before. he looked like he was having a great time and moved way more than the tucson 07 show.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

tooligan5 you brought up a good point i didn't mention before... adam was WAY more physically active than before. he looked like he was having a great time and moved way more than the tucson 07 show.
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
07-21-2009, 10:16 PM

show #14, and 3rd for this tour.

AENEMA!
Tonight was by far better than denver and SLC. This just goes to show you the difference one song can make for the experience. The best 10 seconds of my entire trip so far were the first notes of Aenema. So glad they added it! They also used intense lasers for Aenema as well... very impressive.

Also, before I continue with the review, I want to mention my trip today to Maynard's hometown area. Rented a car in Phoenix and took the 2 hour trip out to Jerome, AZ. Holy crap, a what crazy town! It's literaly built vertically with small steep streets everywhere. Went to the Puscifer store and bought some really cool merch. Talked to this chick (forget her name) who is "maynards assistant" and runs the puscifer online store. She was an awesome person and had a few great stories. FYI: The other manager of the store is the girl playing chess with mjk in the "Queen B" video.

Next it was on to the Caduceus cellars wine tasting room. A big fuck you to the US of A for not allowing me to drink once again. Grrrrrrr.
Slightly disapointed the dude wouldnt let me try some anyways. oh well...

So back to Phoenix for the concert.

Probably my favourite maynardism ever was said tonight.
After the guest drummer - from Tweak Bird - did the usual breakdown in Lateralus, he shakes maynards hand, and mjk says: "seriously, what the fuck!? you think this is your personal storage or something? Get this shit off my stage!"

LOL. I loved it.

He also had the same message after Jambi as he did in Salt Lake City about turning around, raising your hand and whispering "welcome", and to take care of each other on the way home.

Lights went out early today, 8:35 start instead of 9:00.
Jambi, Stinkfist, 46+2 all kicked serious ass once again.

I seem to say this every single time I see them, but I don't think I have a choice: Danny Carey, are you a human? I'm starting to doubt it. Good god... I paid more attention to him today and his foot work on those pedals is INCREDIBLE. Also, I didn't notice until today but he uses his gong in schism. Previously I thought it was only the usual hit in Lateralus.

Rosseta Stoned is officially my favourite song for this tour.
The intro of the lasers is incredibly fucking epic. I shit my seat.
I think mjk was changing the lyrics significantly for rosetta, because I couldn't follow along at all with the lyrics for the megaphone faster parts. I know he usually changes his timing and pitch, but I'm fairly confident it's significantly different this tour. Although it looks like he is having fun on this tour. He made another near-naked appearance following the lateralus breakdown.

Once again, I have to give amazing credit to Junior and his team. Vicarious is the pinacle of the show for the lighting/visuals. The backdrop behind the band is split into 2 sections both playing the Lateralus video. The last 3 minutes with the alex grey net of being 3d world part is unreal playing behind the band live. Visual masterpiece.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering: Adam is NOT a statue!
He moved around the stage frequently tonight, which was quite unusual for him.

Overall this show kicked serious ass.
Aenema was a treat, and unexpected.
The setlist is getting better, the visuals are epic, and mjk was really into it.
Bravo boys, tonight significantly exceeded my expectations.

Also: For the third straight night, as soon as Vicarious ends maynard runs off the stage for the night. This slightly annoys me because they don't do the group hug anymore and he's not there when the other members are all soaking in the appreciation and waving goodbye. I know it's not a big deal, but it has been happening every night so far.

on to alberquourque, or something...

Last edited by kanaduh; 07-21-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

AENEMA!
Tonight was by far better than denver and SLC. This just goes to show you the difference one song can make for the experience. The best 10 seconds of my entire trip so far were the first notes of Aenema. So glad they added it! They also used intense lasers for Aenema as well... very impressive.

Also, before I continue with the review, I want to mention my trip today to Maynard's hometown area. Rented a car in Phoenix and took the 2 hour trip out to Jerome, AZ. Holy crap, a what crazy town! It's literaly built vertically with small steep streets everywhere. Went to the Puscifer store and bought some really cool merch. Talked to this chick (forget her name) who is "maynards assistant" and runs the puscifer online store. She was an awesome person and had a few great stories. FYI: The other manager of the store is the girl playing chess with mjk in the "Queen B" video.

Next it was on to the Caduceus cellars wine tasting room. A big fuck you to the US of A for not allowing me to drink once again. Grrrrrrr.

After the guest drummer - from Tweak Bird - did the usual breakdown in Lateralus, he shakes maynards hand, and mjk says: "seriously, what the fuck!? you think this is your personal storage or something? Get this shit off my stage!"

LOL. I loved it.

He also had the same message after Jambi as he did in Salt Lake City about turning around, raising your hand and whispering "welcome", and to take care of each other on the way home.

Lights went out early today, 8:35 start instead of 9:00.

I seem to say this every single time I see them, but I don't think I have a choice: Danny Carey, are you a human? I'm starting to doubt it. Good god... I paid more attention to him today and his foot work on those pedals is INCREDIBLE. Also, I didn't notice until today but he uses his gong in schism. Previously I thought it was only the usual hit in Lateralus.

I think mjk was changing the lyrics significantly for rosetta, because I couldn't follow along at all with the lyrics for the megaphone faster parts. I know he usually changes his timing and pitch, but I'm fairly confident it's significantly different this tour. Although it looks like he is having fun on this tour. He made another near-naked appearance following the lateralus breakdown.

Once again, I have to give amazing credit to Junior and his team. Vicarious is the pinacle of the show for the lighting/visuals. The backdrop behind the band is split into 2 sections both playing the Lateralus video. The last 3 minutes with the alex grey net of being 3d world part is unreal playing behind the band live. Visual masterpiece.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering: Adam is NOT a statue!
He moved around the stage frequently tonight, which was quite unusual for him.

The setlist is getting better, the visuals are epic, and mjk was really into it.

Also: For the third straight night, as soon as Vicarious ends maynard runs off the stage for the night. This slightly annoys me because they don't do the group hug anymore and he's not there when the other members are all soaking in the appreciation and waving goodbye. I know it's not a big deal, but it has been happening every night so far.

Last edited by kanaduh; 07-21-2009 at 10:31 PM..
OFFLINE |  
tooligan5
07-21-2009, 10:16 PM

also, quickie follow up... maynard used his megaphone (rosetta megaphone) for stinkfist *and* vicarious. i believe i recall brief usage on stinkfist in the past, but definitely never on vicarious. he also had a belt which held a water bottle, which he drank from waaay more often than i recall in the past.

regardless, never seen the megaphone on 3/9 songs, thats for sure (with no 3rd eye or eulogy), but it worked, i had no problems whatsoever.

kudos to all, great show.

-edit- went back and watched some 06/07 vids, didn't see the megaphone on either stinkfist or vicarious, as i suspected. speculate away...

Last edited by tooligan5; 07-22-2009 at 06:43 AM..
Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

also, quickie follow up... maynard used his megaphone (rosetta megaphone) for stinkfist *and* vicarious. i believe i recall brief usage on stinkfist in the past, but definitely never on vicarious. he also had a belt which held a water bottle, which he drank from waaay more often than i recall in the past.

regardless, never seen the megaphone on 3/9 songs, thats for sure (with no 3rd eye or eulogy), but it worked, i had no problems whatsoever.

kudos to all, great show.

-edit- went back and watched some 06/07 vids, didn't see the megaphone on either stinkfist or vicarious, as i suspected. speculate away...

Last edited by tooligan5; 07-22-2009 at 06:43 AM..
OFFLINE |  
tooligan5
07-21-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post

AENEMA!

LOL. I loved it.

well shit, lets add a third follow up. 100% concur on the vocals for rosetta, ive heard it 5x now, and this was by *far* the most difficult to understand/keep up with. even when most complained it was hard to understand back when it was first introduced, i could keep up. tonight, not a chance. i agree he definitely mixed it up.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post

AENEMA!

LOL. I loved it.

well shit, lets add a third follow up. 100% concur on the vocals for rosetta, ive heard it 5x now, and this was by *far* the most difficult to understand/keep up with. even when most complained it was hard to understand back when it was first introduced, i could keep up. tonight, not a chance. i agree he definitely mixed it up.
OFFLINE |  
dynohmike
07-21-2009, 10:30 PM

kanaduh great point! when he was talking shit to tweak bird's drummer that was hilarious!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

kanaduh great point! when he was talking shit to tweak bird's drummer that was hilarious!
OFFLINE |  
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM

Hard to know exactly where to start here, but I think I'll be a bit lazy and just say the above reviews nailed it pretty well. A few things

-Yes, Adam moved around a lot. He almost seemed to catch himself later and then tone it down. But it's clear he was having a good time- for Adam anyway!

-As I noted during the show in the General thread, a long conversation (a minute or so) transpired between Maynard and Adam before Ænema. It's pretty clear in hindsight that Adam was trying to talk him into it. I saw Maynard shrug a bit, but Adam got animated and waved his arms some to make the point. Maynard's performance during that song seemed almost spiteful. It'll be interesting to see if they it again. It certainly went well so hopefully Maynard realizes this and that'll be his take away from the show.

- I cannot say enough about the stellar job junior and crew did with the lights. The light show seems to have magically evolved even while the band was dormant. I didn't get a chance to say hello to junior but one of these days it'll happen. In the meantime, he's not only a breath of fresh air around these forums, but certainly a top level performer in his chose profession- PROPS!

- Rosetta Stoned was great- Maynard had me laughing my ass off. What the hell was that??? I don't think he sang one lyric from the 10K Days record during the speedy verses, just a bunch of made up gibberish. I thought it worked well and he seemed to be enjoying himself.

- Justing and Danny- underrated and underestimated as always. Someone mentioned in another review for SLC show that Justin seemed drunk. I watched him intently throughout and he was on his game. Not perfect, but solid. Danny is on another level when it comes to drummers so it's often hard for me to form an opinion on him. Forty-six&2 qwnt well and overall he pounded it out in grand style like he always does.

Phoenix fans are a decent sort. It's damn hot here so that's gotta go to yer head. But the people around me were eager to talk about Tool and life in general. All very nice folks and I wish you safe travels.

Finally, the t shirts are very cool this time out. I think the best I have seen. But be aware that they used a different manufacture this time. The XL I got is fitting just a tad tight. Granted I am a bit older and definitely not the swelt guy I was in 2006! But they are a bit smaller than last time out so consider getting the next size up.

Spiral bitches!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Hard to know exactly where to start here, but I think I'll be a bit lazy and just say the above reviews nailed it pretty well. A few things

-Yes, Adam moved around a lot. He almost seemed to catch himself later and then tone it down. But it's clear he was having a good time- for Adam anyway!

-As I noted during the show in the General thread, a long conversation (a minute or so) transpired between Maynard and Adam before Ænema. It's pretty clear in hindsight that Adam was trying to talk him into it. I saw Maynard shrug a bit, but Adam got animated and waved his arms some to make the point. Maynard's performance during that song seemed almost spiteful. It'll be interesting to see if they it again. It certainly went well so hopefully Maynard realizes this and that'll be his take away from the show.

- I cannot say enough about the stellar job junior and crew did with the lights. The light show seems to have magically evolved even while the band was dormant. I didn't get a chance to say hello to junior but one of these days it'll happen. In the meantime, he's not only a breath of fresh air around these forums, but certainly a top level performer in his chose profession- PROPS!

- Rosetta Stoned was great- Maynard had me laughing my ass off. What the hell was that??? I don't think he sang one lyric from the 10K Days record during the speedy verses, just a bunch of made up gibberish. I thought it worked well and he seemed to be enjoying himself.

- Justing and Danny- underrated and underestimated as always. Someone mentioned in another review for SLC show that Justin seemed drunk. I watched him intently throughout and he was on his game. Not perfect, but solid. Danny is on another level when it comes to drummers so it's often hard for me to form an opinion on him. Forty-six&2 qwnt well and overall he pounded it out in grand style like he always does.

Phoenix fans are a decent sort. It's damn hot here so that's gotta go to yer head. But the people around me were eager to talk about Tool and life in general. All very nice folks and I wish you safe travels.

Finally, the t shirts are very cool this time out. I think the best I have seen. But be aware that they used a different manufacture this time. The XL I got is fitting just a tad tight. Granted I am a bit older and definitely not the swelt guy I was in 2006! But they are a bit smaller than last time out so consider getting the next size up.

Spiral bitches!
OFFLINE |  
07-21-2009, 10:43 PM

Oh, one more thing- it did bother me how Maynard left the stage immediately at the conclusion of Vicarious. Not sure what that's all about but I watched him as he hurried down the stairs while removing his earplugs, leaving the remaining three band members to absorb the cheers. His head is obviously in a different space now than it was during the 10K Days tour.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 07-21-2009 at 11:19 PM..
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

Oh, one more thing- it did bother me how Maynard left the stage immediately at the conclusion of Vicarious. Not sure what that's all about but I watched him as he hurried down the stairs while removing his earplugs, leaving the remaining three band members to absorb the cheers. His head is obviously in a different space now than it was during the 10K Days tour.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 07-21-2009 at 11:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
tooligan5
07-21-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Oh, one more thing- it did bother me how Maynard left the stage immediately at the conclusion of Lateralus. Not sure what that's all about but I watched him as he hurried down the stairs while removing his earplugs, leaving the remaining three band members to absorb the cheers. His head is obviously in a different space now than it was during the 10K Days tour.
definitely noticed that. i did like that they almost did the "huddle" before lateralus, (all gather in front of dannys drums, like before lateralus in 2001/02, tonight minus justin who was on his knees in front of his rig). but yes, maynard left the stage at least 4 times, 1st before intermission (not for long), 2nd at intermission, 3rd to get nakedish during drum solo in lateralus, and then fourth at the end of the show to just get the fuck out of there (let us sing VICARIOUSLY ..... MUCH BETTER YOU THAN I) and was gone 12 seconds later. no group hug was surprising, that was a staple in 2001,2002,2006 and 2007. however, that being said, he was more animated that i think i have ever seen, and again, i was damn satisfied (even knowing the setlist, added plus of aenima; and minus wings and pushit (tucson 07)). hard to beat them, no matter what.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Oh, one more thing- it did bother me how Maynard left the stage immediately at the conclusion of Lateralus. Not sure what that's all about but I watched him as he hurried down the stairs while removing his earplugs, leaving the remaining three band members to absorb the cheers. His head is obviously in a different space now than it was during the 10K Days tour.
definitely noticed that. i did like that they almost did the "huddle" before lateralus, (all gather in front of dannys drums, like before lateralus in 2001/02, tonight minus justin who was on his knees in front of his rig). but yes, maynard left the stage at least 4 times, 1st before intermission (not for long), 2nd at intermission, 3rd to get nakedish during drum solo in lateralus, and then fourth at the end of the show to just get the fuck out of there (let us sing VICARIOUSLY ..... MUCH BETTER YOU THAN I) and was gone 12 seconds later. no group hug was surprising, that was a staple in 2001,2002,2006 and 2007. however, that being said, he was more animated that i think i have ever seen, and again, i was damn satisfied (even knowing the setlist, added plus of aenima; and minus wings and pushit (tucson 07)). hard to beat them, no matter what.
OFFLINE |  
TheRuleOfThree's Avatar TheRuleOfThree
07-21-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure if this was the case. While they were talking, Justin was changing basses on the complete opposite side of the state. There is no way of knowing what they were talking about, but it was clear to me that it was on the setlist headed in to the song, which means that if he was complaining it was asking to take it off the setlist... and he was in a great mood during the entire show so I don't think that was happening. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 23

Quote:

I'm not sure if this was the case. While they were talking, Justin was changing basses on the complete opposite side of the state. There is no way of knowing what they were talking about, but it was clear to me that it was on the setlist headed in to the song, which means that if he was complaining it was asking to take it off the setlist... and he was in a great mood during the entire show so I don't think that was happening. Just my 2 cents.
OFFLINE |  
tooligan5
07-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuleOfThree View Post
as i sadly mentioned above, when i tried to snag a setlist (and was crudely denied), i could read most of it, it was definitely on there. so whether or not he wanted to bail, they put it on there prior to; no question (which if needbe, i imagine junior can concur with)

Last edited by tooligan5; 07-21-2009 at 11:11 PM..
Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuleOfThree View Post
as i sadly mentioned above, when i tried to snag a setlist (and was crudely denied), i could read most of it, it was definitely on there. so whether or not he wanted to bail, they put it on there prior to; no question (which if needbe, i imagine junior can concur with)

Last edited by tooligan5; 07-21-2009 at 11:11 PM..
OFFLINE |  
tomatoms's Avatar tomatoms
07-21-2009, 11:49 PM

tom's quick-capsule review: magickal. mind blowing.

maybe more later.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 9

tom's quick-capsule review: magickal. mind blowing.

maybe more later.
07-21-2009, 11:50 PM

So this unfortunately was my first Tool show...yeah yeah yeah...Ive been into them for quite sometime but I've either never had an opportunity to go or something came up...this time, no excuses and for sure was a very perfect experience.
Everyone; including the band was having a great time...its great they put so much effort and personal power into their live renditions as they do recording.

I knew of the setlist prior to attending so i was anticipating the performance, relistening to the tracks to set a nice mood for it and it just blew me away and I wasnt let down in any respects, i think it flowed nicely and the Aenima bonus track was unexpected but nicely fitting for AZ :D

I was overly impressed with the stage lights, and clean set up of the visuals, i think I had a pretty good view of it all so I was not dissapointed at all.
To me, not sure if anyone else did too...but it sounded very over bassy through the loudspeaker and the acoustics...though Ive never seen a concert in USAirwaysCenter prior nor a Tool show live.
It wasnt awful, just sort of stood out to me.

I'm going to relisten to some more of the setlist now, the songs have a new atmosphere live.

Glad to see it pretty packed in there too.

I have some photos from the show; i read through the rules and such didnt see anything against it outright...so if its an issue, I can remove the link or whatever has to be done

*they are high resolution, non compressed, straight from the cam.

good work to the band, and all those who put together the impecible light show and visuals.
-GNW

Last edited by dan; 08-03-2019 at 07:34 AM..
Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

So this unfortunately was my first Tool show...yeah yeah yeah...Ive been into them for quite sometime but I've either never had an opportunity to go or something came up...this time, no excuses and for sure was a very perfect experience.
Everyone; including the band was having a great time...its great they put so much effort and personal power into their live renditions as they do recording.

I knew of the setlist prior to attending so i was anticipating the performance, relistening to the tracks to set a nice mood for it and it just blew me away and I wasnt let down in any respects, i think it flowed nicely and the Aenima bonus track was unexpected but nicely fitting for AZ :D

I was overly impressed with the stage lights, and clean set up of the visuals, i think I had a pretty good view of it all so I was not dissapointed at all.
To me, not sure if anyone else did too...but it sounded very over bassy through the loudspeaker and the acoustics...though Ive never seen a concert in USAirwaysCenter prior nor a Tool show live.

I'm going to relisten to some more of the setlist now, the songs have a new atmosphere live.

I have some photos from the show; i read through the rules and such didnt see anything against it outright...so if its an issue, I can remove the link or whatever has to be done

good work to the band, and all those who put together the impecible light show and visuals.
-GNW

Last edited by dan; 08-03-2019 at 07:34 AM..
OFFLINE |  
junior
07-21-2009, 11:59 PM

The setlist had Aenima (sic) after Flood, with no intermission. During Schism we were informed that the intermission would precede Aenima (sic). I think the onstage discussion was to go ahead with Aenema and then do the intermision, which is what we scrambled to make happen.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

The setlist had Aenima (sic) after Flood, with no intermission. During Schism we were informed that the intermission would precede Aenima (sic). I think the onstage discussion was to go ahead with Aenema and then do the intermision, which is what we scrambled to make happen.
OFFLINE |  
grathrax's Avatar grathrax
07-22-2009, 12:05 AM

I showed up early and snagged a rail spot.

I loved the show, but have to get a complaint out of the way: The no camera policy included cell phones, and security were nazis about it. I found their constant use of flashlights to be a huge distraction, as I'm sure the band did as well. I understand banning flash photography, but YELLING at people about cell phone cameras is absurd. Especially since the dude behind me lit up a joint and they just snatched it from him and did nothing else. I really wanted to get some shitty up close pics to remember this night by...

Annnyyyywayyyy....

As I was leaving I asked for a security dudes setlist (they were all handed one at the start) and was denied. Two minutes later he tapped me on the shoulder and handed it to me. I'm assuming its because he asked my friend and I what song was playing at one point and because we were pretty proactive at helping with people that needed to get out of the crowd and with surfers.

Anyway, amusing points of the physical setlist:
"Nobby Intro" is written at the top
It is spelled Stink Fist
Next to Lateralus it says Danny * Cruddy Bitch

Good concert, better than the nosebleed seats I had in DC a few years ago. I have to say that 46 & 2 totally killed all the energy from Jambi and Stinkfist, and said energy didn't come back for me until the lasers in Rosetta Stoned. Aenima was great, and Lateralus was a religious experience just like last time.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I showed up early and snagged a rail spot.

I loved the show, but have to get a complaint out of the way: The no camera policy included cell phones, and security were nazis about it. I found their constant use of flashlights to be a huge distraction, as I'm sure the band did as well. I understand banning flash photography, but YELLING at people about cell phone cameras is absurd. Especially since the dude behind me lit up a joint and they just snatched it from him and did nothing else. I really wanted to get some shitty up close pics to remember this night by...

Annnyyyywayyyy....

As I was leaving I asked for a security dudes setlist (they were all handed one at the start) and was denied. Two minutes later he tapped me on the shoulder and handed it to me. I'm assuming its because he asked my friend and I what song was playing at one point and because we were pretty proactive at helping with people that needed to get out of the crowd and with surfers.

Anyway, amusing points of the physical setlist:
"Nobby Intro" is written at the top
It is spelled Stink Fist
Next to Lateralus it says Danny * Cruddy Bitch

Good concert, better than the nosebleed seats I had in DC a few years ago. I have to say that 46 & 2 totally killed all the energy from Jambi and Stinkfist, and said energy didn't come back for me until the lasers in Rosetta Stoned. Aenima was great, and Lateralus was a religious experience just like last time.
07-22-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
The lights during Ænema were very well executed, junior. I have to assume that was rehearsed to some extent- or did you improvise that as it happened? The use of the red lights was very effective.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #23
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
The lights during Ænema were very well executed, junior. I have to assume that was rehearsed to some extent- or did you improvise that as it happened? The use of the red lights was very effective.
OFFLINE |  
junior
07-22-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
The lighting for Aenema is mostly as programmed in 2006, but I spent some time modifying it at Sony Studios prior to this tour in anticipation of a possible return. I also spent about an hour on it before doors tonight (right up until the last minute, in fact).
Old 07-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
The lighting for Aenema is mostly as programmed in 2006, but I spent some time modifying it at Sony Studios prior to this tour in anticipation of a possible return. I also spent about an hour on it before doors tonight (right up until the last minute, in fact).
OFFLINE |  
ArrogantBastard
07-22-2009, 05:41 AM

6th Tool show and it did not disappoint. The show was great and the guys were very energetic. The lights, lasers, images were all top notch. The only disappointment is it ended. I could have stayed another 2 hours.
I hope they add another show either here in PHX or Tucson.

The wife and I actually met Maynard last year at the Vineyard in Page Springs. Very humble and took the time to say a few words to us. What made it even more remarkable, it was our 27th wedding anniversary.
Yes, we are a couple of old geezers, but, we have been Tool fans from way back in the day and never miss a show when they are close by.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

6th Tool show and it did not disappoint. The show was great and the guys were very energetic. The lights, lasers, images were all top notch. The only disappointment is it ended. I could have stayed another 2 hours.
I hope they add another show either here in PHX or Tucson.

The wife and I actually met Maynard last year at the Vineyard in Page Springs. Very humble and took the time to say a few words to us. What made it even more remarkable, it was our 27th wedding anniversary.
Yes, we are a couple of old geezers, but, we have been Tool fans from way back in the day and never miss a show when they are close by.
OFFLINE |  
domer88's Avatar domer88
07-22-2009, 10:52 AM

What a great show, wow, same setlist but who gives a shit, pure amazment.. 8th tool show and never fails to amaze

JUNIOR... GREAT JOB!!!! Those lights and lazers were blowing my mind, how they all synched up at times, reflecting off the r points of the symbol above the stage while the spotlights crossed right in the middle, some sacred geometry of sorts?? , blowin my mind.. Also , did anyone notice the ALI G references ... The backstage passes had Bruno on them and at the end of the show the Borat theme was being played... I am gussing tool respects ali g (big ups .. heh)... any input on this Junior?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #26
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

What a great show, wow, same setlist but who gives a shit, pure amazment.. 8th tool show and never fails to amaze

JUNIOR... GREAT JOB!!!! Those lights and lazers were blowing my mind, how they all synched up at times, reflecting off the r points of the symbol above the stage while the spotlights crossed right in the middle, some sacred geometry of sorts?? , blowin my mind.. Also , did anyone notice the ALI G references ... The backstage passes had Bruno on them and at the end of the show the Borat theme was being played... I am gussing tool respects ali g (big ups .. heh)... any input on this Junior?
OFFLINE |  
byRyan
07-22-2009, 11:04 AM

I was just blown away! I had heard about the setlist, but just KNEW they were going to play aenima... its like required when they are in AZ. I got floor tickets, and did my best to stand up to all the giant guys in the mosh pit. My left arm was broken about two years ago, and really took a beating, but I think it actually felt better after the show - perhaps it got shoved back into place. My back is still sore the next day - but well worth it.

The best moment for me was Lost Keys, with all the extra digital noise they through it. I just got to stand in the center of the pit, and arch back to look at the ceiling, hearing the sound echo through the whole arena. I stretched my arms up and out, and had like a little meditation... right before the ass kicking - it was intense!

Ryan

Last edited by marcus; 08-04-2009 at 10:21 AM..
Old 07-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

I was just blown away! I had heard about the setlist, but just KNEW they were going to play aenima... its like required when they are in AZ. I got floor tickets, and did my best to stand up to all the giant guys in the mosh pit. My left arm was broken about two years ago, and really took a beating, but I think it actually felt better after the show - perhaps it got shoved back into place. My back is still sore the next day - but well worth it.

The best moment for me was Lost Keys, with all the extra digital noise they through it. I just got to stand in the center of the pit, and arch back to look at the ceiling, hearing the sound echo through the whole arena. I stretched my arms up and out, and had like a little meditation... right before the ass kicking - it was intense!

Ryan

Last edited by marcus; 08-04-2009 at 10:21 AM..
OFFLINE |  
PaistePlayer
07-22-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravenewworld View Post

I have some photos from the show; i read through the rules and such didnt see anything against it outright...so if its an issue, I can remove the link or whatever has to be done.

-GNW

After looking at these pictures, and all the drummers that come around here.......I can't believe no one has mentioned that Danny has ditched his 8" and 10" shelled Sonor toms for ROTO toms. When I first saw a roto in the pic I thought he must have gone back to it, instead of the Korg Wave drum that he has been rolling with. NOPE, wave drum still there!! He is using ROTO's as racks. Can anyone say Bill Bruford? Killer!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravenewworld View Post

I have some photos from the show; i read through the rules and such didnt see anything against it outright...so if its an issue, I can remove the link or whatever has to be done.

-GNW

After looking at these pictures, and all the drummers that come around here.......I can't believe no one has mentioned that Danny has ditched his 8" and 10" shelled Sonor toms for ROTO toms. When I first saw a roto in the pic I thought he must have gone back to it, instead of the Korg Wave drum that he has been rolling with. NOPE, wave drum still there!! He is using ROTO's as racks. Can anyone say Bill Bruford? Killer!
OFFLINE |  
bucketofpower
07-22-2009, 09:25 PM

ok, since my last post got deleted, I went to the show and was really pleased with it. last time i saw tool was in '07 and adam and maynard were much more into it this night. i set myself up with low expectations given the past 2 shows' setlists and was more than excited to hear aenema. not to mention, (-) Ions was played between Jambi and Stinkfist, not to start the show.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

ok, since my last post got deleted, I went to the show and was really pleased with it. last time i saw tool was in '07 and adam and maynard were much more into it this night. i set myself up with low expectations given the past 2 shows' setlists and was more than excited to hear aenema. not to mention, (-) Ions was played between Jambi and Stinkfist, not to start the show.
OFFLINE |  
grathrax's Avatar grathrax
07-22-2009, 09:35 PM

Oh, and one more thing. Did anyone see Maynard smile during stinkfist?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Oh, and one more thing. Did anyone see Maynard smile during stinkfist?
07-23-2009, 06:55 AM

Tweak Bird was a surprise to me. They are pretty good, but the vocalist should not sing. They sounded very 60's British rock, with some space-rock mixed in. The drummer pounds like a beast.

Anyway, on to Tool. I sat in the next to last row of 102, sneezing distance from the suites. Danny was in a Suns jersey, nice to play to the locals. (-)Ions DID kick off the show and was a good way to start. Jambi the only 10000 days song not performed when they came here last (re:Maynard hit with bottle incident, 9/9/06). so I was glad to finally see that song performed live. The band was perfect in 2001 and 2006 at Cricket, at USAC Tuesday, not so much. Danny, Justin and Adam appeared thrown off at least once or twice and that wasn't because they had extended Stinkfist and Schism. Maynard was impossible to decipher on his megaphone; Rosetta Stoned sounded like gibberish (I believe it was mentioned), making it harder to follow until past the 'you are the chosen one' part. Regardless, that song is a must for a Tool show. Adam and Justin were more animated than I have ever seen on stage. I liked the circle of circular green lights that were going during Lost Keys and several other songs; it made it appear like an alien invasion to me. The lasers were a fine enhancement and were trippy as hell. The guys standing still together on stage for two minutes looked bizarre, as if they discovered some new far-off land. When the drums were being set up for Lateralus, Maynard told everyone, "where are you people going? The show's not over". The two-drum bobast gave me goose bumps, just as the lyrics in the song do. In Vicarious, he held the mic stand out like a schlong, pointing it at the crowd to sing the final high-pitched verse. The crowd did not seem to cooperate for that and Maynard peaced-out and left the stage while the other three were taking their curtain calls. All in all, another excellent show by Tool. Don't complain about the setlist, go to the show and enjoy it. Pay $40 for a t-shirt? I draw the line there...
Old 07-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Tweak Bird was a surprise to me. They are pretty good, but the vocalist should not sing. They sounded very 60's British rock, with some space-rock mixed in. The drummer pounds like a beast.

Anyway, on to Tool. I sat in the next to last row of 102, sneezing distance from the suites. Danny was in a Suns jersey, nice to play to the locals. (-)Ions DID kick off the show and was a good way to start. Jambi the only 10000 days song not performed when they came here last (re:Maynard hit with bottle incident, 9/9/06). so I was glad to finally see that song performed live. The band was perfect in 2001 and 2006 at Cricket, at USAC Tuesday, not so much. Danny, Justin and Adam appeared thrown off at least once or twice and that wasn't because they had extended Stinkfist and Schism. Maynard was impossible to decipher on his megaphone; Rosetta Stoned sounded like gibberish (I believe it was mentioned), making it harder to follow until past the 'you are the chosen one' part. Regardless, that song is a must for a Tool show. Adam and Justin were more animated than I have ever seen on stage. I liked the circle of circular green lights that were going during Lost Keys and several other songs; it made it appear like an alien invasion to me. The lasers were a fine enhancement and were trippy as hell. The guys standing still together on stage for two minutes looked bizarre, as if they discovered some new far-off land. When the drums were being set up for Lateralus, Maynard told everyone, "where are you people going? The show's not over". The two-drum bobast gave me goose bumps, just as the lyrics in the song do. In Vicarious, he held the mic stand out like a schlong, pointing it at the crowd to sing the final high-pitched verse. The crowd did not seem to cooperate for that and Maynard peaced-out and left the stage while the other three were taking their curtain calls. All in all, another excellent show by Tool. Don't complain about the setlist, go to the show and enjoy it. Pay $40 for a t-shirt? I draw the line there...
OFFLINE |  
Fuzzy Dustmite
07-23-2009, 07:33 AM

A bit of trivia: Traditionally, when bands play US Airways Center, they are given Suns Jerseys with their last name on the back, and the year of the concert, i.e., Jones / 09. Being that Danny usually wears Jeff Carey/22 KSU jerseys, they gave him two, one 09 and one 22, both with Carey on the back. He chose to wear the 22 jersey to play.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

A bit of trivia: Traditionally, when bands play US Airways Center, they are given Suns Jerseys with their last name on the back, and the year of the concert, i.e., Jones / 09. Being that Danny usually wears Jeff Carey/22 KSU jerseys, they gave him two, one 09 and one 22, both with Carey on the back. He chose to wear the 22 jersey to play.
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
07-24-2009, 12:34 PM

Finally back in L.A. after the show in Phoenix and to sum it all up WOW!!!

Best part of the trip besides the obvious was meeting fellow TA'ers at the meetup before the show.

As for the show they were dead on... all of them.

Got to listen to Aenima again which was a great surprise but common it was AZ.

Jambi, Stinkfist, 46 & 2, Schism sounded so damn good.

RS was great and always better w/ Lost Keys intro. New visuals were great.

Flood was cool to hear again also with full intro.

Lateralus is ALWAYS a great moving experience. Drum break was pretty cool with the drummer from Tweak Bird. I like the new visuals from Meats Meier.

Vicarious was interesting to hear MJK singing through the megaphone for the entire song. Would've been great if he sang the last part of the song.

"One of these days" was a great cover for them to do.

I WISH!!!

That's it for now until Chicago & L.A.

See some of you there.
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
Old 07-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Finally back in L.A. after the show in Phoenix and to sum it all up WOW!!!

Best part of the trip besides the obvious was meeting fellow TA'ers at the meetup before the show.

As for the show they were dead on... all of them.

Got to listen to Aenima again which was a great surprise but common it was AZ.

Jambi, Stinkfist, 46 & 2, Schism sounded so damn good.

RS was great and always better w/ Lost Keys intro. New visuals were great.

Flood was cool to hear again also with full intro.

Lateralus is ALWAYS a great moving experience. Drum break was pretty cool with the drummer from Tweak Bird. I like the new visuals from Meats Meier.

Vicarious was interesting to hear MJK singing through the megaphone for the entire song. Would've been great if he sang the last part of the song.

"One of these days" was a great cover for them to do.

I WISH!!!

That's it for now until Chicago & L.A.

See some of you there.
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
OFFLINE |  
DHarv35
07-24-2009, 10:24 PM

although I have a ton to say, it's mostly all been covered above, and so I'll keep this short. Lateralus was the greatest live experience I've ever had. Ever. Incredibly spiritual, in my opinion. And the drum solo was great.

AEnema, Stinkfist...damn it was all amazing. Visuals and lights were unreal. Loved it.

Maynard seemed in good spirits for the most part to me. The whole band was, I felt. Justin was rocking out hard, which I loved.

Was it just me or did Maynard make fun of Danny for being a hippy on numerous occasions? Anyway, the Maynardisms were funny.

It did bother me a bit that Maynard left right after Vicarious, but it -really- bothers me that they aren't doing the group hug at the end.

And lastly, I'd say the one thing that stuck out most to me from this concert was at the very end, after the band (minus Maynard, as stated above) had done its curtain call and were headed off the stage. I remember as Adam was walking off, in the midst of the continuing roar of applause from the Phoenix crowd, he gave a huge fist pump, which caught me by complete surprise. But obviously brought a smile to my face and really made me realize what I'd just experienced, and how special it truly was.

In conclusion: perfection.

Can't wait for Pomona, that drive is gonna be nothing compared to my 8 hours to and from Phoenix.

Last edited by DHarv35; 07-24-2009 at 10:27 PM..
Old 07-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

although I have a ton to say, it's mostly all been covered above, and so I'll keep this short. Lateralus was the greatest live experience I've ever had. Ever. Incredibly spiritual, in my opinion. And the drum solo was great.

AEnema, Stinkfist...damn it was all amazing. Visuals and lights were unreal. Loved it.

Maynard seemed in good spirits for the most part to me. The whole band was, I felt. Justin was rocking out hard, which I loved.

Was it just me or did Maynard make fun of Danny for being a hippy on numerous occasions? Anyway, the Maynardisms were funny.

It did bother me a bit that Maynard left right after Vicarious, but it -really- bothers me that they aren't doing the group hug at the end.

And lastly, I'd say the one thing that stuck out most to me from this concert was at the very end, after the band (minus Maynard, as stated above) had done its curtain call and were headed off the stage. I remember as Adam was walking off, in the midst of the continuing roar of applause from the Phoenix crowd, he gave a huge fist pump, which caught me by complete surprise. But obviously brought a smile to my face and really made me realize what I'd just experienced, and how special it truly was.

In conclusion: perfection.

Can't wait for Pomona, that drive is gonna be nothing compared to my 8 hours to and from Phoenix.

Last edited by DHarv35; 07-24-2009 at 10:27 PM..
OFFLINE |  
bucketofpower
07-24-2009, 10:27 PM

Not to get into an Internet fight or anything, but (-) Ions was played after Jambi, check out the vid of Jambi above for confirmation.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Not to get into an Internet fight or anything, but (-) Ions was played after Jambi, check out the vid of Jambi above for confirmation.
OFFLINE |  
Jicks
07-27-2009, 04:26 AM

Ya what was it that Maynard was saying about Danny when Danny had left the stage for whatever reason it was. That was the most I've ever heard MJK talk during a show.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

Ya what was it that Maynard was saying about Danny when Danny had left the stage for whatever reason it was. That was the most I've ever heard MJK talk during a show.
OFFLINE |  
Poigea
07-27-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicks View Post
It was before Aenima was played, Danny had walked off from his kit. Maybe because Aenima was originally planned for after the "intermission". Anyways, it was something to the effect of:

Danny come back, the show isn't over. (Danny sits down). There you go. You know Danny once woke up thinking he was Elvis. That is why we don't let him have wheat toast with peanut butter(?) and bananas(?).
Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicks View Post
It was before Aenima was played, Danny had walked off from his kit. Maybe because Aenima was originally planned for after the "intermission". Anyways, it was something to the effect of:

Danny come back, the show isn't over. (Danny sits down). There you go. You know Danny once woke up thinking he was Elvis. That is why we don't let him have wheat toast with peanut butter(?) and bananas(?).
OFFLINE |  
toughknickers
08-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Before this concert I was limited... Confined...
There was only one thing left...
So much has become of nothing...
This Phoenix has risen ...and will rise again.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

Before this concert I was limited... Confined...
There was only one thing left...
So much has become of nothing...
This Phoenix has risen ...and will rise again.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply