opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/03 - Oakland, CA - Oakland Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/09/03 - Oakland, CA - Oakland Arena

HELL YEA! That was awesome! Tool ROCKS! On the way home now, more about the about the concert later! (Time to go jackoff)-mjk
Money can buy a lot of things...for everything else, there's Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Flying in the wind (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1282

oops

Did any one see the Ninja in red and black on the floor??
No I am not kidding!

TDN is for entertainment purposes ONLY.

Last edited by oneredflag; 09-03-2006 at 11:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
Flying in the wind (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1282

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Another solid tool show, pretty much same set list. However the visuals were much cooler epically for the last three songs.
Gotta love Maynard's belt buckle, looked like a chrome 9mm.
"Peace the fuck out"
I am not a big Isis fan but there short set was pretty cool.

TDN is for entertainment purposes ONLY.

Last edited by oneredflag; 09-03-2006 at 10:58 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Visually this show whooped ass on last night's show. The lasers looked sweet indoors, totally lost last night. I'm a bit speechless right now.
S.F. 6/12/92 | Mt. View 6/22/93 | S.F. 12/12/93 | S.F. 11/11/94 | S.F. 10.21.96 | Concord 8/15/97 | S.J. 8/30/98 | Indio 10/10/99 | Red Rocks 8/3/01 | Berkeley 8/10/01 | Berkeley 8/11/01 | Sac. 11/2/01 | Mt. View 11/3/01 | Oakland 7/12/02 | Sac. 7/13/02 | Trenton 8/12/02 | NYC 8/13/02 | Orem 10/12/02 | Col. Springs 10/13/02 | Fresno 11/22/02 | Reno 11/23/02 | Long Beach 11/24/02 | Oakland 5/4/06 | Marysville 9/2/06 | Oakland 9/3/06 | Reno 4/30/07 | S.F. 12/11/07 | SLC 7/19/09 | S.F. 7/12/10 | Sac. 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

visuals better than last night, sound was good but not as good as last night. "right in two" was awesome. hoping for "10,000 days" on tuesday.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show for Nor Cal...

Can't wait for Bakersfield.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first tool show and I had a great time!!! I was in the top 2-3 rows on the floor the entire time. My favorite part of the show was when the band played Lateralus. As the band transitioned into the song, an arangement of lights in a skeleton of the "Net of Being" was raised from behind the stage. When song begain, the lights turned on black and white and changed throughout the piece. This was complimented by lasers which exteneded out and at times created a 'net' around the stage as well as spiraling visualizations. Fucking crazy! As Maynard was walking off stage, he pointed at his watch, pointed off the stage, and then made a jerk off gesture. He He.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

This was my 27th Tool show, the fifth one on this tour, and the FIRST time I've ever seen/heard Right In Two live. That song is fucking awesome. It totally rocked my world. As my buddy put it, hearing that song live was eye opening. I think they should use it to close their shows instead of Aenima. It's powerful!

Also, the laser show is much better in an arena, and also better since I was in the center near the front (I was off to the side for Marysville and the Gorge). The lasers were especially cool for Vicarious when at one point they made a tight web of beams all across the arena. There must have been 200 beams split in the air over our heads. Very cool.

Maynard had a diamond studded gun-shaped belt buckle. I got a kick out of the ninja wearing black and red - he was in the pit in front of me. There was also a guy in the pit walking around with a Bible. The bible ended up on stage, and during their 5 minute break Maynard took Justin's lighter and tried unsuccessfully to light the Bible on fire.

I really enjoyed watching Danny do some nice cymbal work during Sober, I had never watched that before now. I just can't get over Right in Two, that should be playing that song at every show!!

Last edited by _J_A_Y_; 09-04-2006 at 12:09 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

OK... I understood the techs in the labs coats... but what was up with the guys in black walking back and forth over the stage? Was it supposed to be art or something? lol

Don't mind me... I'm just bitter that Wings wasn't debuted (FUCKING GRRRR!!) and that it was the same ole tired setlist. Besides that, I had a blast... visuals were great, but not as good as Reno... although the lasers really upped the score. =\ Don't worry, I'm still going to support them and see them next time.

I miss Disposition. =[
Old 09-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my third TOOL show and by far the best. I went with a friend of mine and she actually went to last nights show. Like previously stated, Right in Two was the highlight of the show for me. It is a very powerful song to listen to on CD, but live is a whole different story. I wanted to hear 10,000 days but maybe they are not going to play that for a while. The crowd was rather chill, unlike the previous shows I attended in Sacramento. Maynard sounded awesome, Adam kicked ass on the guitar (allthough he had a little trouble during Jambi with the talk box), Justin was crazy all night long and is truly an amazing bassist. Danny never missed a beat and was pretty wicked during sober. Overall, a great show and definitely worth the money. Hopefully everyone had a great time like I did.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 01:04 AM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredflag View Post
oops

Did any one see the Ninja in red and black on the floor??
No I am not kidding!
I saw him when I was exiting the venue. lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------

The show was great. Isis did a good set. I only knew 'So Did We' though.

Stinkfist (extended)
The Pot
Forty-six & 2 (w/ intro)
Jambi
Schism (extended)
Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two (w/ Intension intro)
Sober (w/ intro - Merkaba style)
Lateralus (w/ intro)
Vicarious (w/ intro)
Aenema

I was in section 102. The highlights for me were Rosetta and Right in Two. All the jams and shit they played were great too. I heard a lot of boos when Maynard said "Thank you good night." after Lateralus. The Rosetta Stoned visuals were awesome. The dude running down the desert highway.

I also enjoyed Maynard's "Whats going on out there? I'll tell you whats goin on. All the people in the seats are having fun. You guys down here like rubbin up on other guys? Its just some fuckin rock songs."

For those that were on the floor...why were you moshing to Right in Two? LOLLOL
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

right in two was probably the best (im not sure how danny is doing the little 'tabla' solo in it...is it sampled into his pads and he just hits that? i would love to see him actually play the tabla), jambi is great --- love the talk box solo. sober should be omitted from the setlist....how about hooker with a penis or H.?

rosetta stoned was also amazing, its such a dynamic and intricate song, its amazing to hear them nail it live. the only bad part about it was that you can't hear the best part of the song (and maybe even the best part of the entire record)...adam's wailing solo (kinda rainfall like effect) when maynard is singing "overwhelmed as one would be..." that part gives me chills....unfortunately it was inaudible, but other than that the sound was great.

i like the lasers, but they seem to clash with the lights on the string...seems like it should be one or the other...looks a little gaudy, but not as bad as i thought (from reading earlier reviews). disappointing though that the people on the floor can't see half the visuals...the screens behind the band are way too short, and people cannot get any view whatsoever of the images being projected onto the ground. hopefully they change it up for the next arena tour stint

isis made me a believer...im gonna check out their record(s?)

the part where the band sits on the riser for a bit is cool, they also huddled together at the end of the show and were all smiles coming out of it. seemed to be genuinely appreciative of the crowd

great show, my second time seeing them (much better experience than street scene bullshit),,,wish i was back home to see them in LA, but until next time!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 01:53 AM   #14
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

this was my first time seeing my favorite band, Tool. and man, they really, really let me down.

i was really close and in the center. lights went out, people were pushing. it was pretty bad. i had to get my girlfriend (5'3") outta there because she was dying (literally i guess). Stinkfist had the worst sound ever. first of all, Adam was way too loud and his guitar sounded like crap as it overpowered the rest of the band. and Maynard was incredibly quiet, all i could hear for Stinkfist and The Pot was the audience.

i got out of the pit during 46 & 2 and migrated pretty much directly to the right, i was all the way on the fence. the sound still sucked ass until Schism, where it sucked less ass. then, it started to improve steadily. RS and RIT sounded good, and sober/lateralus were better (the gong!).

visuals were ok. neato light shows (loved the lasers) but the video was nearly impossible to see. i feel sorry for anyone shorter than 6 feet in general admission because the band and the screens were probably impossible to see---it was pretty hard for me to see them and i'm 6'1". in fact, when i wanted to see the visualizations i just looked at the center thingy because i couldnt see the ones on stage.

Maynard barely said anything. he said somethign to the tune of "it's just rock songs..." after people went nuts when the show started. they played a generic setlist...i would've liked to see something off Opiate, or more off Lateralus. it was like they were robots--they really seem sick of playing live. only justin and danny actually seem to enjoy their jobs.

Isis had much better sound and a lot more feeling. even though i love Tool and i thoroughly enjoyed the show, i still wished for more. i'm really conflicted...i'm still in awe of seeing my favorite band play my favorite songs, but i still know they could've done much better.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 AM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

the show was great and right in two was a surprise definitely. I was hoping for opiate since they had played that at just about every show in the 3 weeks, that would have been killer, but right in two surprised me. I went to the Fresno show last month on the 6th and this show was slightly worse I would say. the visuals were excellent this time around but the sound and atmosphere at fresno definitely blew this one out. the crowd was semi-dead after the pot and up until lateralus, I largely attribute this to jambi, rosetta stoned and right in two not being as widely known by the general tool population. rosetta is a great song but I don't think it's that great live, and it really didn't seem to flow all that well tonight. well, that's all. around 215am I was driving back from the north bay south on 880 past the arena again and the entire highway was closed, looked to be like a huge accident, at least 5 firetrucks and 15 police cars. northbound was completely blocked while south bound had an easy exit/entrance back onto the freeway. i love tool!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 02:38 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

This show was great. I even enjoyed it as much as the Oakland minitour concert, but that's because I was front and almost center this time. Getting smashed and drenched in the sweat of myself and a ton of strangers sucks, but it was absolutely worth it.

To me the visuals and setlist were okay. I hadn't read about the new tour and was expecting something different, like some big, new mindblowing stage, but this was pretty much the same as the minitour. And I really wanted to hear Wings.. But that's fine, I just don't really care, because I got to see my favorite band live! I wasn't disappointed one bit. Lateralus was the pinnacle for me. Blew me away, as always. So did Aenema. I love those songs. Then after the show I finally got one of the big-assed posters and one of the girl-tee Tool shirts, both of which I was pissed I didn't buy at the minitour, so that made the day even better. I'm glad I didn't pay out the ass for one of those posters on ebay, which I considered for a second.

The show's already been pretty thoroughly described. I'm not sure what more to add, except that Maynard also ripped a page out of that bible he had, stuck it waaay down the back of his pants and wiped his ass with it, in addition to the already described attempt to light it. Then I think he sniffed the page, sneered and threw it down. And I enjoyed it when everyone flicked on their lighters during the break when the band was chilling on stage. It wasn't until that moment when I looked around that I realized how damned many people were there (no, I've obviously not been to a show there before). And I've heard MJK make that comment about rubbing up on other guys somewhere (a bootleg or another concert). Anyways, great show. Worth every bit of time and $$ it took to go! I want to go again! And what's with this Ninja? I didn't see him...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #17
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

They came on shortly after 9 PM (like 9:05-9:10). Finished by 11 PM.
Right in Two was my favorite song of the show as well. As soon as I heard the brief Intension intro I knew what we were getting.

First thing Maynard says: "...Where were we?". Perhaps in reference to their third show in three days.

After Stinkfist Nardo looked at the folks on floor, said something like "You guys looks like your enjoying yourself over there (floor, center). But what's happening over here (referng to crowd in front of Adam). You got a rugby match going on, football game? And then wryly he says: Maybe the guys just like rubbing up on each other" Something like that.

Guy behind me spilt his Buttwiper beer on me and blamed it on someone else. Thanks! Your helping.

Maynard looks to his left a lot while he sings. Nice to be over there.

The video screens behind them: Maybe pull them up, or make them larger? Seemed strange they were so short, and hidden behind stacks.

I wore earplugs most of the show. And my ears aren't ringing this morning.

Danny : all wrists. Hardly see that guys arms move, ever. What kind of seats does Buss give you for wearing a kobe tank the entire tour? Shiiiiiiit.

Beginning of Schism...the guitar chords...reminds me of Pete Towhsend, maybe 'Sparks'. Very Who sounding.

Justin has to play a lot of chords. Man he's busy during the show.

What was the scariest movie you've seen this year? Uh, that would have to be the video's at the Tool show ;) Let's throw this box. Let's get a camera angle from inside the box of the malnourished hellraiser bouncing around.....I was giggling but it's still fucked up.

If they included a full version of Intension along with Pigs on Marie's Wings, that would be nice addition for any potential winter/spring extravganza.

Last edited by banned; 09-04-2006 at 08:29 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaine View Post
And I enjoyed it when everyone flicked on their lighters during the break when the band was chilling on stage. It wasn't until that moment when I looked around that I realized how damned many people were there (no, I've obviously not been to a show there before).
That was an absolutely beautiful sight... couldn't believe how many lighters were lit up.

During Rosetta, I glanced up at the video in the center of the arena and caught the end of the guy "running" down the desert road in a cowboy hat. Was that Maynard? I looked too late to make sure.

Last edited by Scrunzset; 09-04-2006 at 09:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
Maynard barely said anything. he said somethign to the tune of "it's just rock songs..." after people went nuts when the show started. they played a generic setlist...i would've liked to see something off Opiate, or more off Lateralus. it was like they were robots--they really seem sick of playing live. only justin and danny actually seem to enjoy their jobs.
I can tell you've never seen Tool before. Sorry you didn't like the show, but I'm not quite sure what you expected from them. Was Adam not banging his head enough or something? He's never really been into that. Maynard has never really been into the silly in-between song banter either. Go see them again and next time don't get general admit tickets. Mosh pits are dumb and they will only impede your enjoyment of the show.

As for my experience, I thought it was absolutely fantastic! I was sitting to the band's left hand side and I was concerned at first about not seeing enough. My fears quickly diminished. I could see the band up close, see all of their visuals (on screen and on the stage they were standing on), and see a little of what the band was experiencing--both with behind the scenes lab coat roadies running around and looking out into the crowd.

Songwise they did not disappoint, swapping out Opiate (which I'm tired of) for Right in Two (my favorite song on the new record). The older stuff sounded great as well--loved the little improv jam before Sober. I have a new fondness for Rosetta Stoned, which I didn't really care for before this show. I thought Maynard's vocal ssounded good, much better than some of the bootlegs I've seen of previous shows where he has struggled to hit high notes he normally nails. The laser shows were a little ostentatious, but for the most part fit the vibe fine. Great visuals as usual. It's always great to see a hard working artist stiff like Adam make good for himself and have his art truly appreciated. And yes, I think the man running down the road was Maynard--doctored up to look like an emaciated alien of course! He has a place in Arizona, right? The background sure looked like Arizona.

I saw the ninja in the bart station too. Funny. I hope she wasn't a burn victim or something.

And to those of you having the artistic integrity argument, maybe you should try actually responding to the reviews for a change???
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #21
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown12 View Post
I can tell you've never seen Tool before. Sorry you didn't like the show, but I'm not quite sure what you expected from them. Was Adam not banging his head enough or something? He's never really been into that. Maynard has never really been into the silly in-between song banter either.
i know that Adam never does anything. and i know that Maynard just sways. but seriously, Danny looked really pissed off until Lateralus, and except for the jams and a few select songs, i got the feeling that it was kind of like "the ol' 9 to 5" type of job for these guys.

and i read a lot of these show reviews, and i see a shitload of the shit that Maynard says, and he barely talked to us at all. the best thing he said was the rugby comment.

i'm going both ways here. the show blew me away (lateralus ripped my asshole right in two) but on the other hand...it felt kind of bland, and i was disappointed.

Quote:
Go see them again and next time don't get general admit tickets. Mosh pits are dumb and they will only impede your enjoyment of the show.
yeah, i hated the pit. but i moved over to the fence and i loved where i was, i got to chill on the fence and we had room to chill. the only thing i didn't like was that the screens were so damn low. i have NEVER been to any show where the visuals were even close to that low. it's like they decided that the people in the seats got the good show, and then told people on the floor to fuck off.

Last edited by hushypushy; 09-04-2006 at 10:40 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

I love Tool. Last night was my second time seeing them and it was beautiful. Who cares about their motives? You all have ears! Listen to the damn music, it's fuckin awesome. And does anyone else have pictures?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

from the moment they stepped on stage i felt a unifying connection with the arena and the band...tool converted the oakland arena into some sort of laboratory of theirs...they conjured up emotions and feelings inside the listeners and themselves i could have never expected...

I did not expect the show to be as amazing as it was...

I was thinking to myself...adam and justin's instruments are flowing through circuits and effects...causing them to be loud, vicious, destructive, extra-terrestial...heavy metal...at the same time, danny's drum set, made out of wood and plastics...simple, are to me, the heaviest, and most important aspect to the music we are experiencing...and the blending together of these instruments, the unification of this band is nothing short of phenomenal.

The performance was pretty damn good...very smooth...the buildups and rhythms were filled with an energy only describable as feeling what it would be like to be in some sort of volcano...at times...it felt as we were all in the middle of a volcano...the loudness, the heat...the colors...the energy.

tool fucking blew my mind.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaceres View Post
from the moment they stepped on stage i felt a unifying connection with the arena and the band...
tool fucking blew my mind.
Nice review!

I want to point out the obvious (but apparently not to some). Your experience at a Tool show is very subjective, I say this from the experience of nearly 30 live Tool concerts. Some people say the sound was worse this night or a certain band member was really on or off on that night. I have noticed the sound quality varies a lot depending on where you are - especially in an arena. To the guy up front: the sound isn't well balanced there, so if Adam was too loud, you should have moved back about 30 feet and get in the center. I remember going to a show on the last tour and thinking that Maynard was really on and then reading (maybe at Toolarmy?) that MJK had felt like he was terrible that night.

Folks want to bitch a lot about the setlist: I say enjoy it, or don't come since you know what to expect. Somebody claimed Maynard didn't talk as much as usual (based on what they read in reviews) and I can assure that last night was exactly as much as he normally talks to the crowd. It's about the music folks, kick back and listen or jump around, watch some truly amazing musicians and take in some cool lights and video. :)

Last edited by _J_A_Y_; 09-04-2006 at 11:40 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Hey _J_A_Y, last night was my 27th Tool show as well. After seeing the show in Marysville in the 13th row and seeing it last night straight back from the floor and 22 rows up this much I can say.

The stage was designed for arenas and not ampitheaters. We couldn't see the projections on the stage at Marysville becuase we were too low. We thought the screen was too low behind the band until we saw the show last night. It looked very cool once you are elevated above the floor. Glad I sold my floor tickets and got seats instead.

Also, being the guy that runs the lasers for my band, you need smoke and lots of it for the lasers to look good. The laser show at Marysville didn't look half as good as it did last night because the fog didn't hang in the air. The lasers on the last three songs blew me away.

This stage really is designed for indoor shows and those with elevated seats not floor tickets. But usually if you are on the floor you're not paying as much attention to the visuals. I know this from experience. Last night renewed my faith in Tool.
S.F. 6/12/92 | Mt. View 6/22/93 | S.F. 12/12/93 | S.F. 11/11/94 | S.F. 10.21.96 | Concord 8/15/97 | S.J. 8/30/98 | Indio 10/10/99 | Red Rocks 8/3/01 | Berkeley 8/10/01 | Berkeley 8/11/01 | Sac. 11/2/01 | Mt. View 11/3/01 | Oakland 7/12/02 | Sac. 7/13/02 | Trenton 8/12/02 | NYC 8/13/02 | Orem 10/12/02 | Col. Springs 10/13/02 | Fresno 11/22/02 | Reno 11/23/02 | Long Beach 11/24/02 | Oakland 5/4/06 | Marysville 9/2/06 | Oakland 9/3/06 | Reno 4/30/07 | S.F. 12/11/07 | SLC 7/19/09 | S.F. 7/12/10 | Sac. 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

digalo i am going to assume that you are referring to the post that came after mine, since i gave the show a good review. but that still doesn't keep me from thinking that you're a vain, whiny little prick. if you think there should be room for only one type of review ("OMG WHAT A GREAT SHOW, DANNY CAREY IS AMAZING LIVE, MAYNARD IS SO FUNNY, GUESS WHAT HE SAID?!!!1!") then what the fuck is the point of this forum? Yes, people can in fact have drastically different opinions of the same thing. And who are you to judge someone's ability to appreciate music and art in general? Can you tell someone's life story by their online handle? If so, and were in fact referring to me, you must've skipped over the part of me being a classically trained musician with 8 years of study under my belt, a performer at the Kennedy Center of Music, and the son and brother of professional musicians (not counting several people I know whom are professionals). Right, I can't appreciate music as a form of artistic expression.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

Great show--much better vibe than @ the Paramount (Oakland), where I was up close & personal. The goosebumps were back, & the sound was great about halfway from the stage.

I do wonder if they'll ever break out "Wings" or "10,000 Days" in concert, though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #28
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

PART 1 OF 3

Last night would be my first time seeing a band live for a 3rd time, and fittingly it would be the band that began it all for me back in 2002 at the very same venue, TOOL. Time's have changed since then, but it's still a Tool show, and here's my little write-up on the evening of September 3rd, 2006:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Me and my friend Dan left for the BART station in Millbrae at 4 PM to take the train across the bay into Oakland (whoever came up with the brilliant idea to close the Bay Bride on Labor Day weekend, thanks a bunch). We arrived at the Oakland Arena around 5:30, and downed a couple sandwiches before heading to wait in front of the doors, which (according to me) were supposed to open at 6. So, we waited. And waited. Freezing our asses off, they finally open the doors at 7 PM, and wouldn't ya know it, we were in the wrong entrance. FUCK So we race down to the lower entrance where the general admission people get in, and have to wait in line there. Great start to the night :D

Once inside I quickly hit the merch stand and picked up an Isis shirt, then raced down to the front to find Dan, who was holding a spot for me. We didn't get rail, but we were about the 2nd/3rd row of people deep, so very very close, and on the left side of the stage (Adam's side). Waiting for roughly 45 mins for Isis to start, I got a good look around at the people I'd be spending the evening with. I've come to conclusion that Tool fans, in general,
are some of the worst fans in the world. Everybody is either only in love with Maynard (more on that later), or is just waiting to hear Stinkfist, Sober, Schism, etc. When you see guys in baggy Ecko jeans and sideways baseball caps, you know there's a problem. The crowd is very diverse, and this comes as a testament to Tool's appeal, but I couldn't help but noticing that there really shouldn't be a difference between the popularity of a band like Isis and a band like Tool. I tie Maynard's dislike for being idolized by millions of dumbfounded dipshits to his anti-social, sarcastic, distant, cold general disposition that he is portrayed as having. These guys didn't want to be stars, these are are a progressive rock band. I can't put my finger on why they became popular, cuz even the most anti-Tool people have to concede the fact that they don't write catchy songs and for the most part are highly unaccessible, especially in relation to a widespread audience/mainstream media. Perhaps there's a deeper message to be found in that, but it's hard to put my finger on. Irony? Jesus Christ was (as is still being) misunderstood and misinterpreted by millions of people as well......I dunno. I just can't get over the idea that Tool are really a band that, by all means, should have a rabid cult audience and play in small 1000 seat venues. In some ways its good that they got huge, because it has enabled them to have the money to put on bigger stage shows and also live a deservingly comfortable life, but at the same time when you have meatheads in the front row screaming out "This isn't Pink Floyd, play some rock and roll" during one of their electronic spacey jams, the point is lost. Anyhow, I digress. Hopefully you see my general point, even though I know that I didn't get it across as well as I should have. Maybe this final word on the matter will clear things up: talking to a guy on the train ride home, a die hard who got into them with Undertow, told me that 'Wings' was about George Bush and that the lyrics "I should play God and shoot you myself" are in fact from the song 'Intolerance', when they are actually part of 'Jerkoff.' Case in point.

Back to the show (sorry for that rant), Isis took the stage non-chalantly at precisely 8 PM and proceeded to strap 'em on and tear 'em up. I was absolutely floored by their performance, the intensity level was much higher than I expected. They had a huge banner behind them as the 'visual', and also made use of some atmospheric and well-placed lighting changes which suited the mood of the music. Their entire show flowed beautifully. Here's what they played:

1.) So Did We
2.) Dulcinea
3.) Not In Rivers, But In Drops
4.) Holy Tears

The band members each put out a lot of energy on stage, headbanging and moving with the flow of the music. One of the guys did double duty, playing lead on the guitar as well as taking care of the electronics and sampling on his computer thing. Not many people obviously knew the band, and I was gonna sing with 'So Did We' since I knew the words but decided not to make a fool of myself being the only one in the whole arena singing hehe. Everyone clapped and cheered for them though, and at the end Aaron Turner (singer/guitarist) thanked the crowd and Tool. The drummer was insane as well, when he started the double bass part on 'Dulcinea' who could just feel it pulsating bigtime through your body, deep and powerful as hell. The mix was superb too, you could even understand the singing when it was done cleanly (the dude has an awesome voice btw). They played a nice compact 30 minute set, and I cannot wait to see them in a headlining slot someday. They completely stunned and blew me away. I still have 'So Did We' and 'Dulcinea' stuck in my head all morning long. Goosebumps worthy shit.

Last edited by AMF; 09-04-2006 at 05:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #29
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

PART 2 OF 3

Slowly you could feel the crowd pushing forward even before Tool had taken the stage. There were like 5 people around us lighting up as well, so the concert scent was in full effect, as I expected. Security was really really tight though in every manner, and they even came into the crowd a few times to make people put them out. Finally, the lights dimmed again, and the band just wandered on stage to a deafening roar. Maynard: "Where were we?" And they just launch straight ahead into their classic 'Stinkfist'. The crowd surge was unlike one I'd ever experienced, and certainly didn't expect at a Tool show. We must have moved a radius of 20 feet by the end of the show, and that's with trying to keep our spot haha. The swaying side to side and people putting their hands all over you didn't bother me as much as the blatant elbows to the rib and pushing from behind. I swear that I was ready to kill some of those assholes. Are you here to watch Tool or hump other guys? I loved this quote from Maynard also right after they finished 'Stinkfist', directed at those of us on the floor: "You guys look like your enjoying yourself over there" (floor, center). "But what's happening over here?" (referring to crowd in front of Adam, where we were). "You got a rugby match going on, football game?" And then wryly he says: "Maybe the guys just like rubbing up on each other." Thanks a lot assholes. Luckily since I'm tall I could deal with the crowd and enjoy the show simultaneously, but I feel bad for the smaller people. Oh, another bit about 'Stinkfist': they played a different version than on the album, with the part right before I'll, keep, digging... changed to this cool little jam, and it was enjoyable to see all the dumbfucks singing to that line when Tool was doing something totally differently. I loved Maynard's little smirk at that part. Fuck Tool fans.

Anyways, after that the heat continued to rise and Maynard kicked it into 'The Pot'. Fuck, it was seriously over 100 degrees there on the floor, I was dying of thirst, but the song still kicked ass. The breakdown part live is what it's all about baby. I sang most of the words to this one, but didn't sing to all the songs cuz I needed to save my breath pretty much. Watching Adam play was really cool too, being directly in front of him. I liked seeing his fingers move and how he actually does those parts, even though he doesn't move a whole lot or show a lot of emotion. Justin was headbanging a lot and getting really into it on the other side, and Maynard's little dances were a definite highlight. I can't even explain them, because they were too hilarious and awkward. A trademark of his though I suppose:D He was way more active at this show than the one I saw in May though, which was nice, though he talked less this time.

The set continued with 'Forty-six & 2', not a standout performance but Danny's solo on that song is always awesome to behold. Then came the highlight of the night for me: 'Jambi'. This song is a fucking beast, plain and simple. Me and Dan sang all the words to this one, with minimal crowd pushing thankfully since I guess this song doesn't click with all the Neanderthals =) Maynard was a strain to hear all night, as being up close you get the rhythm section heavy, but you could hear him great on this song. The visuals in the background were perfect, just an all-around fantastic song. 'Schism', both times I'd seen it done live previously, had literally bored me a bit, but this time they did the extended version where in the middle section Adam does the riff in double-time (think the rhythm of Dio's 'Stand Up & Shout' only with the notes from the middle of 'Schism') and they just rock it for a few measures before settling it back down. It was truly wondrous and a great touch to the song, made me enjoy it a lot more. Without doing ‘Lost Keys’ as the intro, Adam ripped straight into ‘Rosetta Stoned’, with the rest of the band following suit. The visuals they had for this song were fabulous, though not having the massive screens ala Lateralus tour made them tougher to see and fully appreciated. In May it was a lot easier to discern Maynard during the megaphone parts, but last night it was completely garbled. Nonetheless, the song went down very well, and as a band they had their timing down better than last time. Maynard also busted some of his freakiest moves of the night, even singing the last part while walking around in a circle and progressively going slower and slower. He nailed the scream as well, though it was shorter than on the album and also a little less powerful than last time, but that can be understood since he’s been touring for a few months now.

After that Tool gave us the lone “surprise” of the night , if you can call it that, in the form of ‘Right In Two’. The last five shows they’ve done have all had ‘Opiate’ instead, but last night they gave us one of the least played songs on this recent tour, and although it’s also my least favorite on the new album it was much better live. Main reason: it gave me a friggin’ break from all the bullshit going on down front, well at least for the first half of the song :D Watching Danny do the tabla solo was mesmerizing, and the disturbing visuals on the screens were memorable too. Finally, after doing a sweet 3 minute jam in the vein of ‘Merkaba’, the distortion feedback swelled to deafening levels and they kicked into arguably their most famous song, ‘Sober’. This song was probably the most intense of the night in terms of crowd action, and also the least enjoyable. Crowd surfers every two seconds (getting kicked in the head repeatedly isn’t a lot of fun guys) and this one annoy as hell chick behind who thought she was at a rave or something. I was honestly going to give her and elbow straight to the face but her boyfriend/bodyguard man-beast would have probably eaten me alive, so I just shoved me way a little closer to let someone else have the pleasure of enjoying her spastic “dancing”. The last song of the main set was of course ‘Lateralus’, and even though this was certainly the weakest version I’ve heard yet, the song is so amazing that t doesn’t even matter. They also brought out a big Christmas light type of thing resembling the “Net Of Being” painting behind the stage, and had some sickass green lasers going as well. Danny’s gong hit was, once again, absolutely massive. Great way to close out the main set.

The band just kinda hung out on stage, sipping icy cold waters and Gatorade (grrr) while soaking in the deafening roar of the crowd. Looking back and seeing the sea of lighters was really remarkable, and Justin actually held up a lighter himself in appreciation. After roughly 5 minutes, the band returned to their spots and almost gave me a heartattack. I swore that they were gonna finally break out ‘Wings For Marie/10,000 Days’, and here’s why: Justin recently did an interview with the San Jose “Mercury News” in which he revealed that they would be adding this song to the set shortly and it would become a major part of the show. Considering the interview was published in a Bay Area newspaper, the band historically loves playing Oakland, and it seemed long overdue, I was just stoked when the little electronic thing they started with after the encore sounded shockingly like the beginning to ‘Wings’. I held my breath in anticipation, but then my heart sank a little when Adam started with the intro riff to ‘Vicarious’. Oh well, maybe next time. ‘Vicarious’ was alright I suppose, but I was too upset about not getting to hear ‘Wings’ that I mostly just stood and watched. Finally the show came to a close with ‘Aenema’, and Maynard’s token “Peace the fuck out”. The band threw some shit into the audience, and I almost caught a water bottle (OMG I touched Maynard’s water bottle z0mG!1!1!!). While walking off Maynard also pointed at his wrist as in signaling the time and then pointed at himself and then made a motion that one could interpret as “Polishing the bishop” :D

Last edited by AMF; 09-04-2006 at 03:09 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #30
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

PART 3 OF 3

--------------------------------------

This show leaves me with many mixed feelings. If I had not known beforehand that the setlist was just gonna be practically the same as back in May I would have been extremely upset, but I knew what to expect so I tried to make the best of it. Still, advertising a tour as a warmup tour, but then on the full tour playing the same shit is pretty odd and just plain wrong. Clearly, we have to accept that this is a different Tool. This is not the Tool who play songs almost at random switching it up every night, this is not the Tool who have people hanging freely suspended from 20 feet in the air acting out the characters in their videos, this is not the Tool with gargantuan screens showing creative and thought-provoking images accompanying each song, this is not the Tool whose lead singer dresses up like a hooker, a Reverend, a businessman, who paints himself multiple colors and sings from behind a curtain the whole show. This is a stripped-down Tool, an accessible Tool. I don’t see them any longer trying to reach anybody with any messages, they no longer have anything to prove, they are getting up there in age, and have nothing to vent or be mad about any longer. We can’t judge it good or bad, just accept that it is different. I wouldn’t call it evolving, because evolution implies becoming something of greater complexity. This is almost back to the basics. On the plus side, they seem more relaxed and free on stage to me, Danny and Justin always smiling, and Maynard being his usual sarcastic cynical self, and Adam being, well, Adam:D One thing that I do have to say is that I will not be at their next show unless they drastically change the setlist and start throwing in some surprises. I can deal with a stripped down, not awe-inspiring stage show, but if I have to hear ‘Sober’ again I think I might have a fit. Start playing some ‘Third Eye, ‘Pushit’, ‘The Grudge’, ‘Undertow’, etc and you can bet your ass I will do my best to be there. I think this show will go down for me more importantly as being my first real taste of Isis rather than my 3rd of Tool. Still a wonderful and memorable night, and as always....”SPIRAL OUT! KEEP, GOING!”

Last edited by AMF; 09-04-2006 at 03:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #31
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post

Isis had much better sound and a lot more feeling. even though i love Tool and i thoroughly enjoyed the show, i still wished for more.
This sums up my feelings well.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yeah I saw the Ninja, I was actually next to him almost the whole concert lol. During right and 2 on the floor some old guy went crazy and was waving his hands in the air and shit, then someone blind sided him.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #34
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by _J_A_Y_ View Post
I want to point out the obvious (but apparently not to some). Your experience at a Tool show is very subjective, I say this from the experience of nearly 30 live Tool concerts. Some people say the sound was worse this night or a certain band member was really on or off on that night. I have noticed the sound quality varies a lot depending on where you are - especially in an arena. To the guy up front: the sound isn't well balanced there, so if Adam was too loud, you should have moved back about 30 feet and get in the center. I remember going to a show on the last tour and thinking that Maynard was really on and then reading (maybe at Toolarmy?) that MJK had felt like he was terrible that night.
yeah, makes sense. my friend who had a seat said the sound mix was nearly perfect. when i moved to the sideline i heard Maynard much better (good thing i did, RS woulda been shit without that).

Justin's sound was so on though---the bass on The Pot was amazing.

I'll add a couple more notes that i remembered throughout the day...the best songs were Sober and Lateralus, they rocked the shit out of me. I love the way Justin plays Sober.

Also, when Danny hit his electric drumpad thingy with that intro noise for Stinkfist (but in the middle of the song) and they came back hard, that was pretty goddamned badass too.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF View Post
PART 1 OF 3
[snipped]
They had a wonderful set. I wished they played longer though!!! And maybe something from Oceanic. But the new stuff is amazing. They didn't play 'Backlit' though. It was 'Not In Rivers, But In Drops' and the other song was 'Holy Tears'.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

Last edited by everlastingpmpkn; 09-04-2006 at 05:07 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, you all covered it pretty well. Here are some of my thoughts...

This was my 13th Tool show since the beginning of the Lateralus tour. Maynard has rarely talked more and often talked way less. His banter last night was pretty classic MJK. I didn't know what he was putting down his pants during the break - can't believe it was a page from a bible!!!

MJK's dancing was awesome from the opening of Stinkfist throughout the show. I was getting a little hot and bothered at the beginning of Sober...WOW!

Also, I can't believe anyone hasn't commented about the end of Sober, when Maynard started the phrase and then let the audience sing the rest for three lines or so...that was so powerful. That was the best song of the night!

Right in Two was a treat. This is our 4th show this tour and we were really hoping to see something different - Thank you Tool! Now, we just have to wait for them to come around again to catch Wings & 10,000 days.

Never Miss A Tool Show...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Alright...i've found a few minutes to post a quick review...

The show was AWESOME! It was my first Tool show...long time fan, just haven't been able to catch them the last few times they came around.

Anyway, I thought they kicked ass...the visual effects were right on key, and the images (combined with the lighting effects) were pretty mind stimulating. Oh wait...thats right...there was more than just that...FUCkIN TOOL WAS PLAYING LIVE RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!

I was so fuckin stoked for this concert, and not at all was I let down (like others seem to be). Right in Two is one of my favorite songs from the new album (only second to Wings/10,000 days), and it blew me away live. Fucking awesome!

Rosetta Stoned...I like the album version, but live...fucking AWESOME.

[Points to watch][Points off stage][Makes a stroking motion]
Time to go jackoff

Thought that was hilarious...

Oh yea, anyone from sec 101 on here happen to see the couple that were "making babies" during Lateralus? Shit was hilarious when they got caught. The security just flashed their lights on em for like 15 seconds until they finally noticed, then they got booted.

Anyway, yea, i had a good fucking time!

Just hoping they'll come around again soon, and play some more old stuff. Opiate, Swamp Song, Cold and Ugly, Undertow, etc...The Patient and Reflection would be pretty cool as well. Ah, one can only hope...

EDIT:: I will NEVER miss a Tool concert...ever. Just too damn good...

Last edited by enklined; 09-04-2006 at 06:58 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

I've been huddled in the darkness since the concert, trying to rationalize the experience; I've just now emerged with an answer. Sitting in the first balocny on Adam's side, the image we saw at the beginning of 46&2--the silhouette of Justin backed by orange, spinning blades of light-- can only be explained as godliness. It was absolutely amazing, and everyone I spoke to feels sorry for anyone who was sitting on the other side and missed this spectacle. I couldn't ask for anything better, and I only hope I never become a jaded "Long Time" fan, like so many others. Thanks to the guy behind us that gave me and my roomate a hit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 10:01 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlastingpmpkn View Post
Thanks for these, they're nicest pics I've seen so far. Even better because you were in the same area, so these are near the same angle as what I saw. I think I can maybe even see my head in a couple of them (weird). I couldn't hold my phone still enough to get non-blurred pictures, so I'm glad you posted these. And you took these with a camera phone?? Nice, the pics seem large for a camera phone.

One more thing, the first two pictures make a good animation of all the movement going on... http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...gingJustin.gif

Last edited by morgaine; 09-05-2006 at 01:10 AM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: