opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Poetry & Prose
User Name
Password
Old 12-13-2002, 02:03 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Light of Life

I read the reviews posted in the tour section pretty frequently, and sometimes, honestly, they disturb me. I've read posts that are full of profanity and anger towards Maynard for having his back turned, anger because TooL didn't play this song or that song, or because other TooL fans were being "stupid" or because people wouldn't mosh or because people would mosh and on and on. And then, once in awhile, I come across a review that reminds me why I don't hate everyone in the world... that there are some people out there that really get IT. They just, understand. Those posts that you can just tell the person wrote it in a state of enlightenment, in a moment of pure inspiration and adoration and just LOVE of what that band is trying to do. And they understand. And I can relate to them. And it feels so good to know that what TooL is trying to accomplish isn't in vain, because there are some people who really are inspired. These moments when I realize this are really bright moments in my life. So this post is almost a little bit selfish, because I need those enlightened moments. I loved the post entitled "Something Positive" that just talked a little about humanity and the world progressing foward. Because whoever that was, they GOT IT. So please... this may be in the wrong location and forgive me for that, feel free to responde with your feelings on the issue. How certain "TooL fans" make you feel or not feel... how this collective brotherhood whatever you want to call it of TooL heads angers and frightens and disturbs and enlightens you. Thanks.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 02:51 AM   #2
derriere extraordinaire
(Winner, TTU #1)

Bincount™: 50
state of being

my brother is young, into NIN because of me, but not into Tool. when he started listening to music, all he wanted to hear were the heavy songs (and the only Tool songs he likes are the heavy ones) i used to try to get him to hear the songs for the lyrics, to stop singing along and just listen (i find that when i sing along, unless i'm emotional, i'm too focused on sounding right to comprehend much) but all in vain.

recently i've been living rather reclusively and i haven't talked a great deal to him, but one of the times when i did, he mentioned something about getting into the quieter songs. i was immediately hopeful for him--maybe now he'll start to get something other than anger release out of the music--but then i realized something. it doesn't matter.

i worried too much about getting my brother past what i saw as his barrier to understanding, something i had only begun to overcome a few years ago with NIN, and something i've made incredible progress with in the past month with strictly Tool. i have made music my tool of transcendance, and for me this works... the music lifts me from all negativity and places me into a state of peaceful comprehending, and when i am there, i am free of the various weights of life. i don't worry that i have no definate plan for the future. i don't worry that i am lacking in one regard or another. i don't worry.

and i don't worry for my brother, who will probably get little more from music than entertainment. it's because there are other ways. if i can keep faith that my brother and many other people in the world will find their own individual ways, than i can relax and focus on the fact that i have found my way.

i guess my point is that even if you or i were the only ones to "get" tool, they wouldn't have created in vain. and when you hear a 'toolhead' or whatever complaining about tool, and you know by the sound of him that he doesn't "get" it, just forget about him and continue your journey. maybe someday he will, with or without the tool that is Tool.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:55 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Personally, i've always found life much easier for me to enjoy if i just turn my head and direct my thoughts and nasty words in the opposite direction of any idiot claiming to be any kind of 'toolhead' or 'real tool fan.'
In the past i've told these people what i think of them and the only good thing that comes out of it, is a possible chuckle to myself later - and lets face it, I can still have the chuckle and NOT waste my time or words on these people... and so can you.
So leave them to ponder the absence of their thumbs on their own.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:44 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Nothing more beautiful...

There is nothing more beautiful than something, whether it be man or beast or insect or celestial body that consummates what is realized for it. Not that these beings belong in a category, or the things that it does should fall into certain guidelines, but that these things achieving their fullest potential. "Something Positive" was that message, and I wish I could tattoo that letter onto my skin and run naked across the world. To know that someone has "taken this experience and done something positive" is so much more uplifting than talking about Danny's kit, or Adam's tone. Tool as a band are great, yet even more immense is the fact that they can inspire a great group of young thinkers to use their imagination to bring about positive change in the world. Whether or not other "toolheads" get it or not is merely secondary to the fact that those who did understand Maynard & Co's message are now running with the idea of being positive. It's much more glorious than anything, especially base "instructions" by empty heads such as Fred Dursts to the crowd to "jump" or "break stuff". Also a great thanks to ahnijson_films for recognizing Paul's effort to inspire the rest of us. I wish I could be half as articulate, but alas, I can only react in the wake of great minds and even better intentions. Thank you
Old 12-13-2002, 09:53 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
I get really pissed off when I talk to people about Tool. Most people only like Stinkfist, because of its funny name. I spoke to one person who said

"I don't like Tool because their songs are too long"

I simply, (and hopefully accuratley) responded with "Well, thats just how long it takes them to get their point across"

"What point?"

At that moment i decided to stop talking to him. I think he had attention deficeit disorder as well, but thats beside the point. It just shows how some people veiw Tool, if they are Tool fans so to speak

I dont like people who don't get Tool, people who have jumped on the bandwagon since Lateralus. They dont listen to it, they hear it. And only because its a loud noise.

Admittedly i "jumped on the bandwagon" when Aenema came out. But thats different. Maybe i just wish i could have Tool all to myself so I can be special and different.

(I think I'm selfish)
Old 12-14-2002, 10:18 AM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

RE: Light Of Life

Fuck you and your "getting it". Tool is a band. It's merely music and entertainment. Granted, it's really good, and sure Tool probably thinks more about writing music than Sum41 does. But they're just a band. You and others like you take things way too far.

"...I didn't think it would be wise to smoke pot with 15-year-olds. Heck, it might even be illegal."
Old 12-14-2002, 01:10 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
if they are not trying to answer questions about something, what are they doing? why would they have lyrics if it meant nothing? you said your self they put more thought into their songs than sum 41, but if it didnt mean anything then theyd be at about the same level as them. I think that if you didnt get it than you probably dont like tool, understanding the lyrics is half the part of likeing the band. Ill admit all those long posts that im to lazy to read are a bit odd, but ill grant those people this. They know what they are talking about, they just want to express it to see others views. my question is, why the fuck are you on this web site if the lyrics mean nothing to you? if its just another band with catchy tunes why are you on a forum with the specific idea to discuss what the band means to you. what the hell is your problem?
Old 12-14-2002, 03:18 PM   #8
derriere extraordinaire
(Winner, TTU #1)

hmm... he doesn't seem to get it ;) nothing to get bent out of shape about. let 'em rant... that's the point of my other post on this thread; there are certain truths to life that many people attain through one medium or another. obviously "open eye visual" isn't getting it this way.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:29 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by ailurophile
So leave them to ponder the absence of their thumbs on their own. [/B]
Great Bill Hicks reference! I don't know if anyone else picked up on that. I started getting into Bill about a year ago; his material is great. I would recommend his biography, American Scream, to anyone interested in Bill Hicks himself, comedy, Tool, or life in general.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:48 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: RE: Light Of Life

Quote:
Originally posted by Open Eye Visual
Fuck you and your "getting it". Tool is a band. It's merely music and entertainment. Granted, it's really good, and sure Tool probably thinks more about writing music than Sum41 does. But they're just a band. You and others like you take things way too far.
I'm sorry I've offended you so much with my thoughts in this letters section... I thought it was an opinion bull borad... guess I was wrong. Fuck me.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:47 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Your place, or mine?

=oD
Old 12-17-2002, 02:40 PM   #12
On Probation

Bincount™: 177
enlightenment (or something)

Nobody actually "gets it". They only think that they do. But that's o.k., just as long as they're getting something out of the music more than an excuse to mosh or think they're better than everyone else just because they "get it".
Old 12-18-2002, 06:29 AM   #13
derriere extraordinaire
(Winner, TTU #1)

i think we're referring to a different kind of "getting it". it's not that there is any greater understanding of the music in one who gets it. it's a state where the listener is made to think further because of the medium, be it music or otherwise, when he or she is exposed to it. i probably understand the lyrics less than many people, especially since i haven't really been into tool for all that long, but i don't let that deter me from deriving my own personal meaning. that's all i mean when i'm talking about getting it. listening for meaning, applying what you analyze if you agree, and becoming a generally better person via the medium.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: