Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
04-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamison27 View Post
You shouldn't play guitar hero.

Blair says that it's stupid to waste time doing such meaningless things instead of learning to play a real instrument and write original music.

My wife still won't let me get it!
Wait minute, your wife? I thought you WERE female......didn't you just recently argue that to somebody who assumed you were male? Or did this just recently change?

Unless of course....2 hot lesbians...nice
Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #201
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135
Re: New Album

Quote:
You shouldn't play guitar hero.

Blair says that it's stupid to waste time doing such meaningless things instead of learning to play a real instrument and write original music.

My wife still won't let me get it!
Wait minute, your wife? I thought you WERE female......didn't you just recently argue that to somebody who assumed you were male? Or did this just recently change?

04-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I think I want to get Rockband though instead. They are quickly eating into the market share. It has four extra buttons for "solos", something that resembles and electronic drum set, and a microphone or something similar.

Just don't tell Blair cause he'll never let me live it down...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #202
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0

Yeah, I think I want to get Rockband though instead. They are quickly eating into the market share. It has four extra buttons for "solos", something that resembles and electronic drum set, and a microphone or something similar.

04-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

Domestic partnerships are legal in some states, not SC but are widely accepted within the gay community nonetheless.

I never argued that I was a female...or a male...but that my gender was undetermined in the context of these forums...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #203
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Domestic partnerships are legal in some states, not SC but are widely accepted within the gay community nonetheless.

I never argued that I was a female...or a male...but that my gender was undetermined in the context of these forums...
04-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I have that one too. It's fun to play the drums on it but the solo thing on guitar isn't what you think. In fact, the extra set of buttons at the bottom the neck really don't serve any purpose unless you choose to use them because either set works for the whole game. At least on easy and medium they do. Technically, the lower set is supposed to be so you can play bass on guitar but both sets work for it oddly enough. The solos are just a section during gameplay that you try to nail all the notes on it and on a "few" songs there's a section that comes by where you can strum the hell out of any notes as long as you hit the last note to gain extra points.

All in they are both fun to play but, guitar hero is much better for the guitar than rock band imo.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #204
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

I have that one too. It's fun to play the drums on it but the solo thing on guitar isn't what you think. In fact, the extra set of buttons at the bottom the neck really don't serve any purpose unless you choose to use them because either set works for the whole game. At least on easy and medium they do. Technically, the lower set is supposed to be so you can play bass on guitar but both sets work for it oddly enough. The solos are just a section during gameplay that you try to nail all the notes on it and on a "few" songs there's a section that comes by where you can strum the hell out of any notes as long as you hit the last note to gain extra points.

All in they are both fun to play but, guitar hero is much better for the guitar than rock band imo.
04-08-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Well which is it then, I'm assuming male since you mentioned your wife. And it's ok too if it's a lesbian or gay situation. I'm not homophobic, that'd be pretty gay.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #205
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Well which is it then, I'm assuming male since you mentioned your wife. And it's ok too if it's a lesbian or gay situation. I'm not homophobic, that'd be pretty gay.
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Haha! I remain genderless!

I want you to respect me for my mind, not my smoking hottt body :-O
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #206
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

04-08-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:

You mean that scaly flat chest and exoskeleton humpback? Puh-lease
Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #207
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

You mean that scaly flat chest and exoskeleton humpback? Puh-lease
04-08-2008, 11:30 AM

You found my myspace! Phuck!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #208
Level 8 - Vociferous

04-08-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
No, but now you've got me curious
Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #209
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
No, but now you've got me curious
04-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Careful...you know that's what killed the cat...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #210
Level 8 - Vociferous

04-08-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and satisfaction brought him back
Old 04-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #211
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Yeah, and satisfaction brought him back
04-08-2008, 11:58 AM

Well now I'm definitely not gonna tell ya cause its been built up too much!

(Pulp Fiction)
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #212
Level 8 - Vociferous

(Pulp Fiction)
04-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:

(Pulp Fiction)
Well then you're not my friend anymore.

I never liked the Slowski's anyway
Old 04-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #213
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

(Pulp Fiction)
Well then you're not my friend anymore.

I never liked the Slowski's anyway
04-08-2008, 02:40 PM

07 April, 2008 (09:46am)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAMELLA!

The birthday girl's been busy: scuba diving in the Pacific with spear gun for something to throw on the grill at her b.d. party, working on the next "Butcher" record, designing visuals for bands (Red Sparowes, to name one), supporting the Lakers out at Staples, exploring cenotes on the Mayan Riviera with her diving buddy, Rynne (photos to come),,, but don't worry, ***I'm sure she'll have some surreal stage projections when it's time for the next Tool tour.***In the meantime, birthday love from A.J., Diablo, Tesla, Chubby Musso, Lotus, and, of course, the entire Tool family. CHEERS!

***marks important news*** I think
Old 04-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #214
Level 12 - Scurrilous

07 April, 2008 (09:46am)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAMELLA!

The birthday girl's been busy: scuba diving in the Pacific with spear gun for something to throw on the grill at her b.d. party, working on the next "Butcher" record, designing visuals for bands (Red Sparowes, to name one), supporting the Lakers out at Staples, exploring cenotes on the Mayan Riviera with her diving buddy, Rynne (photos to come),,, but don't worry, ***I'm sure she'll have some surreal stage projections when it's time for the next Tool tour.***In the meantime, birthday love from A.J., Diablo, Tesla, Chubby Musso, Lotus, and, of course, the entire Tool family. CHEERS!

***marks important news*** I think
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I see. Anyways, I'm staying out of this music argument. I'm still trying to get good at Guitar Hero III let alone play an actual instrument.

Nonetheless, I would LOVE to learn to play guitar and/or drums one day
I can play the drums. But just barely. As in, I've just started learning this week.

It's all pretty easy at first short of learning some of the rudiments.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #215
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336

Quote:
I see. Anyways, I'm staying out of this music argument. I'm still trying to get good at Guitar Hero III let alone play an actual instrument.

Nonetheless, I would LOVE to learn to play guitar and/or drums one day
I can play the drums. But just barely. As in, I've just started learning this week.

It's all pretty easy at first short of learning some of the rudiments.
04-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
I don't know where everyone's getting this idea that I'm complaining about Adam's lack of technical skill. I could give a fuck about technical skill; it's not, in most cases, music. Adam's not a great guitarist in my mind because he's not very creative or expansive with his writing; he's typecast himself into such a narrow "Toolish sound" that calling any Tool album "experimental" in terms of guitar is a laugh at best, and the sad moronic ramblings of a brainless cult follower at worst.
As a guitarist I profoundly disagree with your statements about Adam's guitar playing. The fact is, there are just not a lot of artists that have dabbled in all the different time signatures, melodies, and tonal experiments that Adam has in his career. The reason why Adam's sound is Toolish is because he plays with a band called Tool in which he is an integral part of the music they create.

I laugh my ass off when people say things like this about Adam's playing. What would prove his talent to you? Does he need to say "Okay guys, I know you like Tool's sound, but for our next song we're going to play some jazz fusion to prove my virtuosity to you. Next we'll play some Victor Wooten Bela Fleck style funk music. Next I'll do some vaguely folkish alternate rock similar to that of Beck, follow up with some Stevie Ray Vaughn style blues, and close the night with our regular run-of-the-mill, uncreative, uninspired psychedelic math-metal."

Who am I kidding, it is hopeless discussing music in a truly ego-less manner. The field of music is far too subjective.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #216
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

Quote:
I don't know where everyone's getting this idea that I'm complaining about Adam's lack of technical skill. I could give a fuck about technical skill; it's not, in most cases, music. Adam's not a great guitarist in my mind because he's not very creative or expansive with his writing; he's typecast himself into such a narrow "Toolish sound" that calling any Tool album "experimental" in terms of guitar is a laugh at best, and the sad moronic ramblings of a brainless cult follower at worst.
As a guitarist I profoundly disagree with your statements about Adam's guitar playing. The fact is, there are just not a lot of artists that have dabbled in all the different time signatures, melodies, and tonal experiments that Adam has in his career. The reason why Adam's sound is Toolish is because he plays with a band called Tool in which he is an integral part of the music they create.

I laugh my ass off when people say things like this about Adam's playing. What would prove his talent to you? Does he need to say "Okay guys, I know you like Tool's sound, but for our next song we're going to play some jazz fusion to prove my virtuosity to you. Next we'll play some Victor Wooten Bela Fleck style funk music. Next I'll do some vaguely folkish alternate rock similar to that of Beck, follow up with some Stevie Ray Vaughn style blues, and close the night with our regular run-of-the-mill, uncreative, uninspired psychedelic math-metal."

Who am I kidding, it is hopeless discussing music in a truly ego-less manner. The field of music is far too subjective.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Master_Of_Nothing
04-08-2008, 06:57 PM

I don't think you have tio be an obsessed tool fan to come on this site. Hell i listen to Dream theatre and other bands more than Tool nowadays. But its coming on here and seeinbg n00bs speaking their stupid opinions and watching the flames that keeps me here. the same with pretty much every other person who now reside in the interact forum
Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #217
On Probation

Bincount™: 189

I don't think you have tio be an obsessed tool fan to come on this site. Hell i listen to Dream theatre and other bands more than Tool nowadays. But its coming on here and seeinbg n00bs speaking their stupid opinions and watching the flames that keeps me here. the same with pretty much every other person who now reside in the interact forum
04-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
Sell out
Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #218
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
Sell out
04-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
or maybe people come here for the sw33t babes who are into all you k00l d00ds l:o)l
Dude, seriously...just because you went through with the operation doesn't mean we consider you a sweet babe.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #219
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
or maybe people come here for the sw33t babes who are into all you k00l d00ds l:o)l
Dude, seriously...just because you went through with the operation doesn't mean we consider you a sweet babe.
04-09-2008, 06:46 AM

Last edited by Kody27; 04-09-2008 at 06:56 AM..
Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #220
On Probation

Bincount™: 7

Last edited by Kody27; 04-09-2008 at 06:56 AM..
Kody27
04-09-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Jesus fucking Christos. I'm getting so tired of everyone saying that me not thinking Adam is very creative means that I want him to shred or play Al di Meola shit.

LISTEN THE FUCK UP.

NO, SERIOUSLY.

LISTEN THE FUCK UP.

HE IS NOT A VERY CREATIVE GUITARIST.

HE USES THE SAME ODD FEEDBACKS, PICKSCRAPES, SCALE BOXES, PROGRESSION INTERVALS, AND FADING IN OVER AN OPEN D5 OVER AND OVER AND FUCKING OVER AGAIN.

ALL IT WOULD TAKE FOR ME TO RESPECT HIM AS CREATIVE IS TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT ONCE IN A WHILE WHILE STILL MAKING IT SOUND LIKE IT FITS IN TOOL INSTEAD OF JUST PLAYING IT SAFE AND BORING ALL THE TIME.

THANKS TO MY PEEPS, INNER, T_I_S, ROLO, JAMISON, M_O_N, ETC.

I'MA GO EAT PIZZA NOW
Yes every Tool song, is in either D minor or B minor (reflection, prison sex, parabola) and sometimes E minor (4 degrees, Triad). Every Tool song does use like the same 3 to 5 notes just arranged in a different pattern on the guitar.
Yet, listening to each song is like wathcing a different movie. Somehow, Adam manages to create completely different sounding songs and moods with slight changes in note patterns. It's very subtle but also very powerful. I think the way Adam uses dissonance and feedback to his advantage is quite unique and very creative. I think he's one of the best guitarist today because of his innovation.
You don't think it's very creative to invent your own pedal for an album? He invented an effects fader pedal so he could master slight changes in effects instead of simply turning them all the way on or off. The way in which he executes precise timing and is consistent about it requires a certain kind of discipline, maybe one in which you don't understand because it requires more patience than you can muster with an over active ADHD mindset. What you call "playing it safe" and "boring", a regular, more patient person would benefit from the meditative powers of Adam's subtlety. I guess if it's not some futuristic new sound or some tom morrello magic trick or a video game sound from dragon force then it's "boring". If you think adam has become boring and is scared to try new things than you've probably missed out on the rewarding placidity from the music altogether, and that makes me feel sorry for you.
Adam's creativity doesn't lie in chord progressions and complex scales or note patterns, or even weird feedback techniques and effects, I believe most of his creativity lies in the ability to weave himself in and out of the other band members time signatures without standing out too much or getting in the way of his band mates music. I think he most intricately weaves his notes mathematically and intuitively between danny and justin's odd time signatures and rhythms. His creativity lies in the hidden aspects of the music, the subconscious droning "thing" that begs us to ask, "Why? Why do I like this so much? Why does this music reward me with visions and patience, why does it call to me to do something good in the world?" Or maybe he just repeats his same ol' bag of hat tricks and hopes he gets lucky that no one will notice, but you're unique genius observing ability has shown us the light, Rivek, thank you for pointing out that one of the most unique innovative and creative guitarist in the music industry right now, is just a fraud. Whew, I almost fell for it for a second.

Last edited by Kody27; 04-09-2008 at 06:55 AM..
Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #221
On Probation

Quote:
Jesus fucking Christos. I'm getting so tired of everyone saying that me not thinking Adam is very creative means that I want him to shred or play Al di Meola shit.

LISTEN THE FUCK UP.

NO, SERIOUSLY.

LISTEN THE FUCK UP.

HE IS NOT A VERY CREATIVE GUITARIST.

HE USES THE SAME ODD FEEDBACKS, PICKSCRAPES, SCALE BOXES, PROGRESSION INTERVALS, AND FADING IN OVER AN OPEN D5 OVER AND OVER AND FUCKING OVER AGAIN.

ALL IT WOULD TAKE FOR ME TO RESPECT HIM AS CREATIVE IS TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT ONCE IN A WHILE WHILE STILL MAKING IT SOUND LIKE IT FITS IN TOOL INSTEAD OF JUST PLAYING IT SAFE AND BORING ALL THE TIME.

THANKS TO MY PEEPS, INNER, T_I_S, ROLO, JAMISON, M_O_N, ETC.

I'MA GO EAT PIZZA NOW
Yes every Tool song, is in either D minor or B minor (reflection, prison sex, parabola) and sometimes E minor (4 degrees, Triad). Every Tool song does use like the same 3 to 5 notes just arranged in a different pattern on the guitar.
Yet, listening to each song is like wathcing a different movie. Somehow, Adam manages to create completely different sounding songs and moods with slight changes in note patterns. It's very subtle but also very powerful. I think the way Adam uses dissonance and feedback to his advantage is quite unique and very creative. I think he's one of the best guitarist today because of his innovation.
You don't think it's very creative to invent your own pedal for an album? He invented an effects fader pedal so he could master slight changes in effects instead of simply turning them all the way on or off. The way in which he executes precise timing and is consistent about it requires a certain kind of discipline, maybe one in which you don't understand because it requires more patience than you can muster with an over active ADHD mindset. What you call "playing it safe" and "boring", a regular, more patient person would benefit from the meditative powers of Adam's subtlety. I guess if it's not some futuristic new sound or some tom morrello magic trick or a video game sound from dragon force then it's "boring". If you think adam has become boring and is scared to try new things than you've probably missed out on the rewarding placidity from the music altogether, and that makes me feel sorry for you.
Adam's creativity doesn't lie in chord progressions and complex scales or note patterns, or even weird feedback techniques and effects, I believe most of his creativity lies in the ability to weave himself in and out of the other band members time signatures without standing out too much or getting in the way of his band mates music. I think he most intricately weaves his notes mathematically and intuitively between danny and justin's odd time signatures and rhythms. His creativity lies in the hidden aspects of the music, the subconscious droning "thing" that begs us to ask, "Why? Why do I like this so much? Why does this music reward me with visions and patience, why does it call to me to do something good in the world?" Or maybe he just repeats his same ol' bag of hat tricks and hopes he gets lucky that no one will notice, but you're unique genius observing ability has shown us the light, Rivek, thank you for pointing out that one of the most unique innovative and creative guitarist in the music industry right now, is just a fraud. Whew, I almost fell for it for a second.

Last edited by Kody27; 04-09-2008 at 06:55 AM..
04-09-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody27 View Post
a video game sound from dragon force then it's "boring".
I must say, that Dragon Force song is a bitch on Guitar Hero
Old 04-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #222
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
a video game sound from dragon force then it's "boring".
I must say, that Dragon Force song is a bitch on Guitar Hero
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
A friend of mine who's independently wealthy and as such has no need for a job can nail it on expert, usually from 97-99%.

That kid scares me.
LOL, fuck...I have a hard enough time nailing it on easy
Old 04-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #223
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
A friend of mine who's independently wealthy and as such has no need for a job can nail it on expert, usually from 97-99%.

That kid scares me.
LOL, fuck...I have a hard enough time nailing it on easy
04-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Sounds kinda like my girl.

lol.

You play GH like a girl.
I do not, I'm still in my practice mode, it's not something anybody can just pick up on their first few tries and nail it on hard.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #224
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Sounds kinda like my girl.

lol.

You play GH like a girl.
I do not, I'm still in my practice mode, it's not something anybody can just pick up on their first few tries and nail it on hard.
04-09-2008, 11:03 AM

That's it, I'm going home today and will start playing medium
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #225
Level 12 - Scurrilous

That's it, I'm going home today and will start playing medium
04-09-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I picked it up and nailed it hard.
/fixed
Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #226
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I picked it up and nailed it hard.
/fixed
04-09-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I picked it up and nailed it on hard.
liar
Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #227
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I picked it up and nailed it on hard.
liar
04-09-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_left View Post
I wouldn't be surprised with another 5+ year wait. I also wouldn't be surprised if they just decided to do something else with the rest of their lives.
They're already working on the new album, from what I've heard. MJK's also on-record w/ Spin saying that they'll make music as Tool until one of them dies.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #228
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_left View Post
I wouldn't be surprised with another 5+ year wait. I also wouldn't be surprised if they just decided to do something else with the rest of their lives.
They're already working on the new album, from what I've heard. MJK's also on-record w/ Spin saying that they'll make music as Tool until one of them dies.
gjamison27's Avatar gjamison27
04-09-2008, 11:26 AM

Yeah, Blair told me they are currently working on the new album. Mostly because they have been recalled by the mothership and will have to go home soon. They hope to squeeze in one more album which is what Herbert is actually referring to when he says "dies".

Blair also said that Adam has not taken too kindly to Riveks' opinions and that this album will most definitely be "creative and experimental".
Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #229
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah, Blair told me they are currently working on the new album. Mostly because they have been recalled by the mothership and will have to go home soon. They hope to squeeze in one more album which is what Herbert is actually referring to when he says "dies".

Blair also said that Adam has not taken too kindly to Riveks' opinions and that this album will most definitely be "creative and experimental".
04-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell View Post
MJK's also on-record w/ Spin saying that they'll make music as Tool until one of them dies.
That doesn't mean a damn thing....he's also said he was quitting music because he found Jesus
Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #230
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell View Post
MJK's also on-record w/ Spin saying that they'll make music as Tool until one of them dies.
That doesn't mean a damn thing....he's also said he was quitting music because he found Jesus
04-09-2008, 11:39 AM

April fools joke blastin on that scunyan from Korny!

Hillarious!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #231
Level 8 - Vociferous

April fools joke blastin on that scunyan from Korny!

Hillarious!
04-09-2008, 11:44 AM

Well, I was considering "stepping up" again, but once I got to the Porcupine Tree comment I gave up...you got me there, I am just so blown away by their creativity....They're just musicians who are stuck in their heads, brains, nerds, like you. There's more to music than constantly trying to be one step ahead of the competition. You don't have to state that you're impatient to be impatient, that would be stupid. I can just tell you're impatience from reading your posts.
I think you need to redefine what you mean by "creative". You don't have to get so defensive when I hit the nail on the head with you and your impatience. I can tell you're a picky little brain kid, and that means you have to filter everything through your little thought process before you can accept it or go with the flow. Or maybe you just pick out grammatical errors for fun, I don't know. And what's this i hear about Danny having the instrument with the least different sounds.....do i have to remind you that danny makes most of the noises you hear live, i mean i don't have to sit here and type out a tool history lesson do I? One mandala alone, has more sounds than all the instruments in Tool combined. So if by the instrument with the least amount of sounds you mean danny's 8 mandala and one wavedrum plus a whole bunch of shit i don't wanna type out drum set, then yeah, I guess Adam just isn't creative enough to keep up with thousands of sound effects and triggers with his six strings, which is my point. Adam is a master of doing a lot with very little, I think he's said before he hates guitar solos, he's not using the guitar in the traditional way, he's no lead guitarist, he's just an ingredient to tools sound as a whole. I'm sorry that's not good enough for you but you have to take it as it is or move on, but don't call it uncreative. I'd like you to figure out how to reproduce all the sounds you hear coming from the guitar on the entire album 10,000 days. Or even the title track alone. Would you like it better if adam used a synthesizer on every song? Would you like to not hear any kind of regular metal guitar at all? Then they wouldn't really be metal at all, I think Tool likes to be a little heavy metal and Adam is about the only thing that makes them sound that way. If you're so creative, prove it, i know i can www.myspace.com/kodylovell
Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #232
On Probation

Well, I was considering "stepping up" again, but once I got to the Porcupine Tree comment I gave up...you got me there, I am just so blown away by their creativity....They're just musicians who are stuck in their heads, brains, nerds, like you. There's more to music than constantly trying to be one step ahead of the competition. You don't have to state that you're impatient to be impatient, that would be stupid. I can just tell you're impatience from reading your posts.
I think you need to redefine what you mean by "creative". You don't have to get so defensive when I hit the nail on the head with you and your impatience. I can tell you're a picky little brain kid, and that means you have to filter everything through your little thought process before you can accept it or go with the flow. Or maybe you just pick out grammatical errors for fun, I don't know. And what's this i hear about Danny having the instrument with the least different sounds.....do i have to remind you that danny makes most of the noises you hear live, i mean i don't have to sit here and type out a tool history lesson do I? One mandala alone, has more sounds than all the instruments in Tool combined. So if by the instrument with the least amount of sounds you mean danny's 8 mandala and one wavedrum plus a whole bunch of shit i don't wanna type out drum set, then yeah, I guess Adam just isn't creative enough to keep up with thousands of sound effects and triggers with his six strings, which is my point. Adam is a master of doing a lot with very little, I think he's said before he hates guitar solos, he's not using the guitar in the traditional way, he's no lead guitarist, he's just an ingredient to tools sound as a whole. I'm sorry that's not good enough for you but you have to take it as it is or move on, but don't call it uncreative. I'd like you to figure out how to reproduce all the sounds you hear coming from the guitar on the entire album 10,000 days. Or even the title track alone. Would you like it better if adam used a synthesizer on every song? Would you like to not hear any kind of regular metal guitar at all? Then they wouldn't really be metal at all, I think Tool likes to be a little heavy metal and Adam is about the only thing that makes them sound that way. If you're so creative, prove it, i know i can www.myspace.com/kodylovell
gjamison27's Avatar gjamison27
04-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Please be aware that "creative" is a matter of subjective opinion. I think Adam and Tom are two of the most creative guitar players ever. That doesn't mean that Neil and Bob will ever agree.

I predict that this debate will never end with either side saying, "You know what? You're right. Adam IS/IS NOT a creative and innovative guitar player. Thank you for educating me."

It will only result in additional pages of opinion.

I had a theology professor that once paid $2000 for a painting. The painting was a mid-size canvas painted white with the artists signature in the bottom right corner.

Most of the class thought he was an idiot and couldn't see how that could be deemed creative, good, innovative, or anything but silly, much less to somehow be worth $2000.

Others, including myself, completely understood that the price and quality of this piece were derived from the artists prior work and most importantly, the opinion of the viewer.

P.S. - Since you cut heads with the King, please consider using the "n" word a little less. I'm sure he would appreciate it.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #233
Level 8 - Vociferous

Please be aware that "creative" is a matter of subjective opinion. I think Adam and Tom are two of the most creative guitar players ever. That doesn't mean that Neil and Bob will ever agree.

I predict that this debate will never end with either side saying, "You know what? You're right. Adam IS/IS NOT a creative and innovative guitar player. Thank you for educating me."

I had a theology professor that once paid $2000 for a painting. The painting was a mid-size canvas painted white with the artists signature in the bottom right corner.

Most of the class thought he was an idiot and couldn't see how that could be deemed creative, good, innovative, or anything but silly, much less to somehow be worth $2000.

Others, including myself, completely understood that the price and quality of this piece were derived from the artists prior work and most importantly, the opinion of the viewer.

P.S. - Since you cut heads with the King, please consider using the "n" word a little less. I'm sure he would appreciate it.
04-09-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:

LOL
Old 04-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #234
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:

LOL
04-09-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Point taken, since this is a discussion board, I found it ok to discuss why we think Adam is or is not creative, if you don't want to discuss your opinion on adam's creativity then why join in the discussion at all? Honestly, I find it very interesting to what people have to say on here, people like you, rivek, and every one else who has something interesting to say. I like to match wits sometimes and learn things at the same time on here, so if we can't discuss our reasonings and opinions on creativity on here then why does this forum exist?
The "end result" of this debate isn't what's important, it's simply the discussion itself, so back off, and lemme argue with a nigga.

P.S. - Since I cut heads with the King, I'm sure he doesn't give two flying FUCKS who says ****** or not, Mrs. Manners. Because I know that if I ever say ****** to somebody, it's not out of hatred, it's a common slang word, esp in Memphis where I live. It's really all about the context it's in.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #235
On Probation

Quote:

Point taken, since this is a discussion board, I found it ok to discuss why we think Adam is or is not creative, if you don't want to discuss your opinion on adam's creativity then why join in the discussion at all? Honestly, I find it very interesting to what people have to say on here, people like you, rivek, and every one else who has something interesting to say. I like to match wits sometimes and learn things at the same time on here, so if we can't discuss our reasonings and opinions on creativity on here then why does this forum exist?
The "end result" of this debate isn't what's important, it's simply the discussion itself, so back off, and lemme argue with a nigga.

P.S. - Since I cut heads with the King, I'm sure he doesn't give two flying FUCKS who says ****** or not, Mrs. Manners. Because I know that if I ever say ****** to somebody, it's not out of hatred, it's a common slang word, esp in Memphis where I live. It's really all about the context it's in.
04-09-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Who's goin' Kody huntin', we'z goin' Kody huntin'
Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #236
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Who's goin' Kody huntin', we'z goin' Kody huntin'
04-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Of course that's the mentality of all black people in the south....well maybe 50%. I don't consider it a racist word, I consider that there are racist people who use it in a racist context. Look at ANY rap song ever, and I'm sure you will find the word at least 37 times in each chorus, and on 90% of the song titles themselves...It's not words that are racist, it's people. Who's gettin defensive, I'm not gettin defensive, fuck you!...
Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #237
On Probation

Of course that's the mentality of all black people in the south....well maybe 50%. I don't consider it a racist word, I consider that there are racist people who use it in a racist context. Look at ANY rap song ever, and I'm sure you will find the word at least 37 times in each chorus, and on 90% of the song titles themselves...It's not words that are racist, it's people. Who's gettin defensive, I'm not gettin defensive, fuck you!...
Nong's Avatar Nong
04-09-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Of course that's the mentality of all black people in the south....well maybe 50%.
Um, fail. You don't speak for all the black people in the south. You don't even speak for 50%.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #238
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Of course that's the mentality of all black people in the south....well maybe 50%.
Um, fail. You don't speak for all the black people in the south. You don't even speak for 50%.
Kody27
04-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nong View Post
Um, retard. I was being sarcastic.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #239
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nong View Post
Um, retard. I was being sarcastic.
tooltomus's Avatar tooltomus
04-10-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
jesus christ, i'm sorry i didn't realize i was dealing with someone who posts over 14 times average a day on this site alone....you know, there is a real world out there where things happen and it makes a difference so take the plug out of the back of your head neo and free your mind haha...seriously though, why is it important to be an online forum celebrity these days? isn't that what vicarious is about, stop living your life watching tv, living life through imaginary drama, unreal fantasies, get out there and do something man, if you put half the effort into doing something in the real world that you put into posting on this site, i bet you could come up with something to help all mankind...but i bet you'll put more creative energy into making me look like an inferior forum poster. Great job!
Good post Kody, I have been playing guitar for 30 years now. It is MY outlet for my creative energy. When I learn a new song or write one of my own, it makes me feel a hell of a lot better than watching tv or posting on an internet website.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 AM   #240
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
jesus christ, i'm sorry i didn't realize i was dealing with someone who posts over 14 times average a day on this site alone....you know, there is a real world out there where things happen and it makes a difference so take the plug out of the back of your head neo and free your mind haha...seriously though, why is it important to be an online forum celebrity these days? isn't that what vicarious is about, stop living your life watching tv, living life through imaginary drama, unreal fantasies, get out there and do something man, if you put half the effort into doing something in the real world that you put into posting on this site, i bet you could come up with something to help all mankind...but i bet you'll put more creative energy into making me look like an inferior forum poster. Great job!
Good post Kody, I have been playing guitar for 30 years now. It is MY outlet for my creative energy. When I learn a new song or write one of my own, it makes me feel a hell of a lot better than watching tv or posting on an internet website.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply