opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/06/19 - Milan, ITA - Filaforum

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/19 - Milan, ITA - Filaforum

just got back from Milano show,it was my first Tool show,came all the way from Serbia to see them, it was unbelivable but im too tired to write a review, tomorrow,so hyped right now,cant breathe right now, but heres the setlist in a correct order while im still fresh:

Lost Keys
Rosseta Stoned
Stinkfist (ext)
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism (ext)
Right In Two
Sober (with intro, something like Merkaba)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

they played almost 2 hours
tommorow more

Last edited by Tomica; 06-19-2006 at 03:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

First things first, congrats to the guy who got the setlist alright... I just realized I had messed up the whole order, apparently dieting on beer exclusively won't help you remember things.

Anyway, despite not being really able to report anything on the technical aspects of the show (because this one was my first concert *ever*), on the other hand emotionally I was completely blown away since second one (and even earlier, since they put on Meshuggah minutes before the band came onstage; that was neat, really).

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned was definitely a bold choice for the guys, I'd never have chosen those to start with, especially here in Italy where people can be total a**holes and react badly to something that experimental. I don't know much about the front rows but back where I was we didn't really start to rock until Stinkfist.
The Pot was awesome and I'm glad they did it because the crowd got crazy with that one, but after all every song was simply mindblowing.
I was lucky enough to get a view of either Adam or Danny exactly when most needed (Jambi and Right In Two respectively), both their solos were amazing; Justin was of course rocking all the time and was sporting a soccer T-Shirt, I couldn't really make out of what team but my friends (who are way taller than my own 5'3) suspected it was of the USA team.
I must admit he's a really brave man ;-)

Vicarious and Lateralus were the highlights of the show for me, personally I think I never felt the true meaning of Lateralus so much as yesterday. Of course trying to dance along with it gave me the cramps after a while but whatever.
Aenima as a closer was of course perfect; unfortunately I must (once again) point out that many people were waiting for an encore after that, even though they could've been less thick and realize that Danny couldn't really play after tossing what I think was a part of his drumkit right into the pit (the roadies dismantling the stage could've been a hint, too).

Couple more general notes: Maynard's voice was okay and I perceived he was in an "acceptable" sort of mood... He played around with us a bit especially in the beginning when he said we could take all the pics we wanted right that moment and then no more (and to turn off the flashes too), nothing wrong with that except that the lights were all out apart from 2 little blue lights so I really don't know what became of those pics. I suspect he perfecly knew that. And by the way, can anyone explain why such a handsome, sexual being the likes of Mr Keenan won't show his nice face to the crowd a single time? Honestly, even during the short break he lowered his cowboy hat to cover himself. What the...?

Concluding the useless rant, the show was totally worth its price, had I had a chance I would've bought tickets to both Rome and Bologna too.
My friends complained it wasn't spectacular enough (no fireworks, little action from musicians, Maynard constantly giving his back and such), but for me it was all overwhelming, I couldn't stop dancing or headbanging and even now I'm unable to settle down and relax because of the adrenaline surge.

Can't really think of anything more to say so I'll just go back to listening to 10,000 Days yet again - I feel it's impossible to get tired of this band!

Cheers y'all!
--
burymagnets133
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 01:47 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Just got home after a truly exhausting (yet highly satisfaying) short trip to Milan.

This was my first Tool show, I had some sort of idea of what to expect, but the thing blew my mind.

I've spent the last 5-6 years checking out crappy videos of their live performances online, and to actually stand

there about 10 meters from the stage waiting for the guys to come out was truly something.

The show started at 9:20 if I remember correctly.

The band kicked it off with Lost Keys and then moved straight on to Rosetta Stoned. The crowd simply went insane,

there were a lot of people moshing (normally I would consider this juvenile behaviour in a Tool concert, but the

opening was so strong I think I can understand them).

Stinkfist followed, with the entire stadium chanting "Tell me that you love me..." etc. - incredible. Liked this alt ernate live version, had something more experimental to it.

When Maynard started singing "Who are you to wave your finger..." I felt both happy and sad - happy because I love

The Pot (lol) and sad 'cause was planning on listening to Right In Two. Thankfully there was a surprise later on...

Great performance.

Forty Six & 2 caused a panic, with everyone singing along with Maynard ("My shadow, shedding skin.."). Perfect.

Jambi & Schism were simply perfect (esp. the crescendo of Schism) -oh, and the alternate version of Schism pwnz.

I have to say at this point that I was not thinking clearly, I was in TOOL nirvana.

And then... surprise, surprise, Right In Two starts. We were surprised 'cause they don't usually play both The Pot and Right In Two. Incredibly emotional performance, and the video art was perfect.

Adam's and Danny's interludes between many of the songs were incredible - droning sounds, effects etc. combined to set the perfect mood.

Sober was great, it was nice to hear a song from Undertow, although I think it belonged earlier in the setlist IMHO.

When Lateralus started, with the alternate intro, everyone went mental. I think this song and Aenima got the biggest response from the crowd. Pure perfection.

After that, the band took a break. They sat together in the middle of the stage while everyone was screaming for more. Maynard waved to the crowd to scream louder, the band looked at each other and they took up their instruments again.

Vicarious was next, which was great.

The band ended with Aenima which almost brought tears to my eyes, the music, the lyrics, the video art, the performance of the band (Justin really put his heart into this performance), it was perfect.

The show ended, the band put down their instruments, they said goodbye and waved to the crowds. Danny threw his drumsticks at a couple of lucky bastards and Adam threw away something like a frisbee...

What can I say, as I said, this was my first TOOL live performance, they are my favorite band and these two hours were some of the best of my life.

Yes, there were a couple of mistakes. Yes, the sound in the first few tracks was rather uneven with Maynard's voice getting drowned out by the other instruments (although moving around in front of the stage made a big difference, there were "sweet spots"). Some people complained that the sound was dirtier and not as crisp as in the Lateralus tour days. So what, I say.

The show was great and it felt like the band were enjoying themselves.

Maynard's antics were incredible, he did have his back turned away for most of the show, but he did not stop moving and dancing, a friend commented that with his mohawk he looked like a giant iguana... lol

Oh and btw, this show was loud. And when I say loud, I mean LOUD! Not that that's a bad thing, ofcourse... ;-)

Sorry, can't write anything more, too tired, must sleep, been awake for more than 36 hours straight, feet cold, eyes red, goddamn shit the bed...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

First tool gig and i was blown away, just awesome. I was at front in the centre, around 4 people back... stayed there long enough for a shirtless Maynard to make his entrance wearing a cowboy hat and jeans, with a sparkly silver pistol on it... awesome! As soon as he started speaking the beginning of rosetta stoned the crowd at the front went mad... maybe i was naive but i really didn't expect it to be as rough... crushing i was prepared for but it felt like i was in a giant wave and was being swept from side to side, really hard to stay upright, didn't help that there were some complete stronzi behind who were really drunk and shouting abuse before the gig and were just making things worse. Fought my way back from there to to the side where things were a bit calmer but still lively. Crowd went absolutely nuts at the beginning of The Pot, it was amazing, got one of the best responses, along with the last three songs. Worst track of the night was Jambi, not because it wasn't played well, just because nobody got into it, it was like a lead balloon, people were turning round and looking bored, low point of an otherwise amazing set.
Maynard pissed me off. After rosetta stoned he told everyone to turn off their flash because he's epileptic (is that true?) and that he would pass out and that he would turn his back for the rest of night if people continued to use flash... well they must have continued because we didn't see his face for the rest of the night, even during the band's break when he pulled his hat down low over his eyes. So many people i talked to were disappointed that he wouldn't even come to the front of the stage and wave at the end, he just ran off leaving the other three who did come forward and clapped the audience. What's his problem?! Having said that, his movements during the music were unbelievable and kind of made up for his being so bloody antisocial, can't even describe them but they were sexy as hell and looked so cool when he was shilouetted in front of the video display.

Bring on the fabled winter tour!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 04:11 AM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

I dont believe that he is epileptic, cryptic maybe but epileptic no. At other tool shows ive seen and at apc gigs they use strobe lighting, thats way worse than a camera flash for people with epilepsy.

Basically Maynard tries to foster an emotional connection to the audience and I guess he must feel that he cannot do that with camera flashes and mobile phone lights in his face. I can understand his point and the need to create an atmosphere but the heavy handed way that they get security to enforce this at their gigs is all wrong. At the end of the day, it wouldnt be something I would do at a tool gig but people are taking photos cause these guys are their heroes and the want a visual reminder of the gig they paid money to attend.

So yeah, i think he fibbed a bit. Naughty Maynard.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Hi guys, still recovering after yesterday night's gig.

Maynard didn't show his face? Well, that's how it's supposed to be!

Among others, Tool are a such a huge band also because they're so unglamorous and underexposed: I've been listening to their music since 1991 (no VHS or DVDs) and I didn't know how they looked like, except for Adam!
Never seen their faces on fucking MTv and all, it's even hard to see them interviewed, but all of these are the reasons why they're a cult band.

I would have been pleased too if he showed up or clapped to the audience but see it like this: he doesn't want to please the audience!

I've written a review of the shop but I can't find the proper words to translate it in english so, sorry for the people who don't know italian!
Last thing: I agree on us Italians not being mature for experimental music but please, don't call moshing a 'juvenile' behavior! Heavy metal gigs are one of the last occasions when we can just do what we want, so don't judge people moshing as long as they don't hurt anybody (on purpose).

Di solito gli arnesi servono per montare o smontare, questi spaccavano!!!!!
Ovviamente io sono sceso giù, nella mosh pit, così si chiama il cerchio del pogo in terra di Albione e il mio punto di vista sul concerto non prevede 'mah', 'insomma' o dubbi di sorta: quei quattro lì hanno suonato quasi due ore di puro metal cerebrale!
Troppo cerebrale...cantava quello coi magliono colorati...col cazzo!

Un gruppo così cultuale e sottoesposto che non avevo la minima idea di come fossero fatti, nonostante girino da anni: il chitarrista ieratico, inespressivo e monolitico, il batterista mastodontico, il bassista che si dondolava e ad ogni ondulazione spostava a colpi di basso le masse d'aria che muove un pendolino in galleria.
Poi lui, Maynard, fisico da impiegato del Comune, cresta mohicana molliccia sotto un cappello da cow boy di paglia, come fare morphing fra Trent Reznor e Bono ai tempi di ZooTV. Tutto questo condito da movenze da discotecaro tamarro, spalle al pubblico (per motivi diversi da quelli per cui lo fa Ricky Martin), scarsità di comunicazione verbale sostituita da luci, immagini, mostriciattoli vari e simboli Tooliani che scorrevano sugli schermi dietro il palco.
Ha salutato pochissimo, il cinque agli altri musicisti, due dita medie alzate ed è corso via lasciando gli altri ad esporsi, mentre il pubblico applaudiva, urlava, piangeva (uno di fianco a me!) e uno urlava ininterrottamente 'satana! satana!'.
Fuori luogo? No, eravamo tutti al nostro posto.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Guys, Maynard didn't say he was epileptic, he just asked the audience to turn off the flashes in their cameras in his usual sarcastic way... He was ofcourse joking and I found his comment quite funny considering the light show he was performing in front of...

I can understand how constant flashes of light coming from all aroung the stadium can be irritating...

I liked the fact that the band seemed to enjoy themselves, with them taking breaks and talking to each other, reacting to the audience and ofcourse performing for almost 2 hours! ;-)

Marcello: I never said Italians aren't "mature enough" for experimental music! On the contrary! I actually loved the crowd reactions during the performance, except ofcourse for a few guys who obviously had a little too much beer... Greeks are really much, much worse in this department! ;-)

And as janeelizabeth said, "Bring on the fabled winter tour!"
Old 06-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Ok then, to be precise, Maynard said "Ok, i'd like you to all to turn to your neighbour and explain to them the effects of camera flashes and strobe lighting on epileptics... so take all of your pictures with flash right now... go on take them and then turn off the flash because otherwise i'm going to pass out... if you don't then i'm just going to turn my back for the entire night" That isn't completely word for word but the main parts are there... so he was insinuating he was epileptic, just wondered if there was any truth in it. Thing is, I don't see how performing facing a wall of very bright, constantly changing and flashing and morphing lights and images is any less distracting than camera flashes from the audience.
That part I could kind of understand though, the thing that pissed me off was at the end when he didn't even salute the audience and just ran off stage when the others stayed behind to do it... Marcello, why should he not want to please the audience dammit? It's not like we're asking for much, he doesn't have to engage in banter or strip naked or spend the entire time locking eyes with us, just coming to the front of the stage and giving a wave at the end of the show would have sufficed, something to show that he actually gave a shit how much this gig meant to us and how much we'd put ourselves out to make it there. He just came across as an arrogant arsehole.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

mtv and tool, kurt loader should kiss there feet, seen 6 shows on this tour, more in the fall, missed the milan show, bored and wanted to post something, sounds like the milan show was as good maybe better than past shows ive seen..........peace........']['({})({})][_ .......army, a army of one is a army of many
Old 06-21-2006, 05:31 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

What a show!!! My God... Great Gig...

They had played for 1h e 40 minutes (from 21.20-23.05) with 5 minutes of interval...

The intro of sober, is composed from part of merkaba, e some notes from 10,000 days...

Also Vicarious had its new extend intro...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-21-2006, 06:07 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer51
After that, the band took a break. They sat together in the middle of the stage while everyone was screaming for more. Maynard waved to the crowd to scream louder, the band looked at each other and they took up their instruments again.
They took a break because Danny broke the drumhead of his snare
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

hi to all ...

i traveled all the way from Greece just to see TOOL for my first time...i have been following them since 93.. but since now never had the chance to travel to see them (the gigs in Greece are still in STONE AGES) so ... i have to be really tough on them after all this waiting ...

we arrived at Datch Forum r-ound 17:30 ...we had some lunch and lot of beers .. so i guess we were IN mood for what was coming ... we were anxious about what we were about to face...feel ... see ..

we entered the Forum about 20:00 ....after a quick stop to the toilets and the bar for some more beers we finally eneter the arena ..

first opinion : the Forum wasn't that bad... actually i was waiting for something better as it has to do with the decoration for the gig ...but the screens were good for me and the others as well ..

i have been told that the concert was sold out but untill the end i could see many seats empty ... maybe we were about 6-8 k people there ...maybe less ... i cant really say ...but definetly not 11000 like i have been told ... maybe someone from toolshed.it could confirm or give details about it ... as i soon realize the numbered seats werent there ...so we compromise ourselves down to the Arena just few meters from the stage...

almost 40 mins waiting .... and the lights came down ....

i wont say about who came first on stage (perhaps others did before me) ... but i was so fuckin out of my head when They entered the stage...each one of them ...

i cant really describe my feelings and emotions and whatever else from the single first sound that came out the speakers ... i was somewhere else traveling ...

BUT... after the 2-3 songs being in front i desided to go behind to chill out and leave the music guide me through "other" paths ... and then i realize that THE sound was not the perfect that could be for a band as TOOL ... i desided to go in the center and yes it was better but not the best vi have listen to my life... i wont explain with details but i think that there were many sound problems in the gig ...

i cant even imagine how everyone says that it was GREAT because it wasn;t ... the band wasnt really into the tour mood i have seen in the past ... Maynard was totally asshole by saying this stupid sarcastic coment for the fotos ...and he was showing his back to us for all the time .... + that he gave us THE finger (actually both of his) when the gig was over ... (anyone noticed that) ... he cant act like been a star in i LIFE & STYLE magazine ... he is fuckin rocker and he was suposed to be WITH his funs and and all the others that came there to see them ... where the 90s spirit went ...for fuck sake ...

i cant say anything about the others...they were cool enough ... and at this mopment i have to admit that Chans is fuckin great bass player and the HIGH LIGHT of the gig for sure...

sory if am a bit aggresive ...but i was expecting much more from a band LIKE TOOL ... i felt like they came saying "ok lets take their money ... and go" this isn't TOOL guys... i've seen and read a lot about them and this isn't what i wanted for my favorite band ...

neway ...i dont want to be pesimist ... i got back home full of NRG ...i nJoy it a LOT but i really cant say that this was a really great concert ...

hope that next time will be much better ...

(this is the thoughts of 12 people that were with me also .... )

and i Will tell NO lies ...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Toolo bene

alright, went to the show on monday and i have read all the reviews before this post and still i wanted to share my impressions about the show.

i think what one has to accept is that a tool concert, a tool tour, in europe is only judgeable beyond terms of good or bad.

i went to see the show out in milano with a friend of mine from italy and a friend of mine from the us, i myself am from germany. being round and at the concert we met so many people from all over europe and even the world (there were many americans out there...) as is proven also by the different home countries of people reviewing on this show.

after having a little chat with the carabinieri, which reffered mainly to the title of the fourth song they played at the milan show (those damn german sheperds we should have never allowed them to leave the country...), that ended nicely for us- evviva corruzione!, hearts still pounding heavily we entered filafora just about time and sat down on the highest level to get the mountains' view.

i liked the show a lot since i like listening to tool records and they presented an energetic athmosphere beyong words i guess. re mjk i rather liked how he acts unlike the backstreetboys hoping around in front of the stage he stays on his podium granting each member of the band the same amount of attention, since tool's music delivers its message not only via words. i liked watching at his muscles packed back interpreting the music and maybe he was even looking at us through his third eye.

here i want to point out that tool is playing a monsterous tour even though their bodies keep on ripening in age, i rather find it respectable how hungry they still are.

at this point i want to pick up my starter, how a tool tour means a lot more than good sound quality at the venue. to me they give me room and reason for traveling, meeting new people, their tedious path gives opportunity to many to meet new inspiring personalities, or just grants space for tripping. i really respect them for that.

i really hope they keep on doing their shit for another while

stay positive
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

I had some perspective on this show, it being my 8th Tool show, and attempting to work this show in to my business trip to India...long story on what "attempting" means, I didn't make it to India. Yeah, Maynard didn't seem overly playful, but his voice was strong, as was everything. Tool 's rhythm section is the best in the business, which from the first minute of Rosetta Stoned cast any doubt in that area. Fourty Six & Two is, to me, among the best songs anyone could hear live - stunning even after this many shows.

I can't blame Maynard for not facing the crowd, as he usual does - would you want to face a crowd that's sending flashes in your face? There was NO security in this place, which aside from the problem with dunces taking flash pictures every 10 seconds, was such a nice difference from the States. What blew me away - aside from the vendors who were walking around selling sodas and beers out of coolers, through the crowd on the floor (would never happen in the States, at least in the northeast), was what the house beer was - Miller Genuine Draft. Here I am in Italy, hoping to escape to anything non-American, and they are only serving easily the worst of the American-based beers in existence. Bud would have been OK, though still questionable why in Italy. MGD? I know, who gives a sh*t - it's Tool....but I think you see my point.....it was mind-boggling. Overall a great time, great venue and a great crowd - very mellow, no aggressive a**hole-crowd in Milan.....mille grazzie, Milan, you are awesome.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
Sun
Level 1 - Lurker

I’m wordless … I’ve never been to a show like that. Think the way they opened was fascinating. They created an exciting atmosphere playing Lost Keys. Later on Rosetta Stoned exploded and the audience down on the pit got crazy. Some guys were thrown up by the crowd below!!! Amazing.

The Set List was exactly what I wanted to hear. Both The Pot and Right In Two were played and this hardly ever happened in this tour! I’m very fond of Jambi. What a pity it wasn’t supported properly!! Maybe the show was kind of cold .. I mean Adam was too serious and Maynard faced the audience less than 5 times! However the energy spread was Terrific, I’ve been swept away! One of my best concert ever!

Shine On Benevolent Sun!

~§~
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-22-2006, 12:28 AM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6977

I can't blame Maynard for not facing the crowd, as he usual does - would you want to face a crowd that's sending flashes in your face?

Mmm but all the videos and the photos of the Usa's Tours, that are easily find in the net, where do they come from? They are autoimpressive? And the images on the screen are less irritating?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-22-2006, 03:34 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keter75
Mmm but all the videos and the photos of the Usa's Tours, that are easily find in the net, where do they come from? They are autoimpressive? And the images on the screen are less irritating?
I would guess he has his eyes closed....but who knows. No, you're right, it's not unique to Milan, happens in US too....either way, I'd rather have the band be able to focus better and continue to put on unbelievable shows than have blurry distant photos of them sent around...wouldn't you?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-22-2006, 04:44 AM   #19
Sun
Level 1 - Lurker

I don’t think Maynard enjoy himself acting like he does. I guess he would have more fun if he changed his way to perform.

I loved the show even if Maynard was on his own business … I’m wondering how more thrilling a Tool concert would be if they had a more charismatic figure on stage …somebody who gives and shares emotions with people below like some giants of the past did!

Sorry … em … I’m new in this forum … Hello everybody! ;-)

~§~

Last edited by Sun; 06-22-2006 at 05:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 AM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

ok ,....did anyone of u noticed the sound problems????

like someone told ...the show was cold ... i nJoy it as well but the TOOL spirit wasn't there ... it was far much better than other bands i've seen live but i didn't get what i was expecting ...

OFFLINE |  
Old 06-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

There were sound problems here and there, mostly in the first tracks, but after the third track or so the sound got really good...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun
I don’t think Maynard enjoy himself acting like he does. I guess he would have more fun if he changed his way to perform.

I loved the show even if Maynard was on his own business … I’m wondering how more thrilling a Tool concert would be if they had a more charismatic figure on stage …somebody who gives and shares emotions with people below like some giants of the past did!

Sorry … em … I’m new in this forum … Hello everybody! ;-)

~§~
I don't think so. The Maynard of Tool, from Undertow to 10,000 days, is a Maynard who sings shoulders to public. Music by Tool is not metal, it's not rock, it's a particular new genre who melts a lot of different music with a visonary and psychedelic touch.
Maynard's voice is unbelievable. I sang only yesterday, screaming song's lyrics during all the tracks, and today I've got no voice. I can't believe he's screaming since a month and he still got a perfect voice.
He's charismatic for how and what he sings, and not for strange movements or dancing on the box. For now, this Maynard as Tool's singer it's the right one.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

i`ve noticed the sound problems, i think the bass was too loud anyway i didn`t cause some serious problems during the gig overall sound was great especially during Right In Two,so crisp.
As for MJK`s behavior i think he does all those things on purpose, just to provoke all those fans who badlly want to see his face but i won`t make any big difference even if he fronted us he still would be in shadow so we wouldn`t be able to see much even then
he doesn`t want to put a focus on himself anymore like he did in the past, just face it, he`s changed in many ways that we will never understand or maybe we will...but nevertheless his voice was perfect that night. I didn`t noticed any screw ups in his singing except i think he didn`t pull the second scream in The Pot, i`m not sure.
I was hoping to hear The Patient, they played it a couple of times on this tour but it`s ok, Aenema was brutal, the ripped he place apart with that one so was Jambi, this song is just amazing especially the solo part from Adam, i didn`t know he does that with his mouth, 46 & 2 was my best musical experience ever, the song is just...Schism also that fast part is amazing.

Anyway a great Tool show not perfect becouse they could play a little longer but its just a begining of their touring.
Sep 5th `07
--------------------
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

first tool show ever..3 days after the feeling is still there.traveled from greece to see them.about mjk behaviour:hooker with a penis
lyrics
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-23-2006, 06:09 AM   #25
Sun
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrafarmakon
I don't think so. The Maynard of Tool, from Undertow to 10,000 days, is a Maynard who sings shoulders to public. Music by Tool is not metal, it's not rock, it's a particular new genre who melts a lot of different music with a visonary and psychedelic touch.
Maynard's voice is unbelievable. I sang only yesterday, screaming song's lyrics during all the tracks, and today I've got no voice. I can't believe he's screaming since a month and he still got a perfect voice.
He's charismatic for how and what he sings, and not for strange movements or dancing on the box. For now, this Maynard as Tool's singer it's the right one.
OK I agree. I sad charismatic and I mean someone who entertain and talk to the crowd. It's absolutely true that he's a great voice! I think he even has a strong personality.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-23-2006, 06:25 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

this is not a review because we are not music critics... but only guys who feel the music inside!!!
The show was awesome, absolutely shattering; their sound shakes and forces us to look inside ourselfs.
They played exactly as we imagined, with Maynard as an incredible frontman.
The backing videos were very particular, a kaleidoscope of sound and pictures never seen before.
We have never seen anything like this before: the union of sound and pictures fused perfectly with the voice
of maynard and took us to a higher level of our musical trip.
Songs like Stinkfist, Aenima, The Pot, Right in Two, the entire concert is worth for just these songs.
In one word: amazing!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

ok maybe i was just a bit over did it.... but still i think it could be much better ..

i was just watching a gig from the Lateralus tour... they played for allmost 2 hours and they were really into the show... the seemed being a part of the visuals and the music as well ... something like that didn't happened in Milan thats why am pissed off.. their music is supposed to be destination to secret mind paths...so they should also feel it when playin and this what was missing from this gig... they were just plain without feeling it as they were doin in the past ...

seemed too premade or pre arranged in every single move or whatever they did...

my opinion though ...and who am i to wave the finger to them ... ;)

i bet there gonna be much better shows really soon ...and am gonna be there again ..

OFFLINE |  
Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

my first Tool live show ... ... no words... tears in my eyes and chills on my back.. came all the way from eastern romania ..36 hours by bus, tons of money spent (cause to me, sometimes is a big problem), 2 exams i didn't attended, arguements in the family about me not going to the show.... all was washed away... it all worth the effort ... for almost 2 hours ..was like a transe..and yet through all my senses came information which wanted desperately to be stored somewhere in my foremind.. the music.. the projections.. the waves of moshing people..the smell and taste of sweat... everything.. so unreal...it felt almost like the mind left the body ...allthough it wasn't allowed i smoked a few cigarettes and drank a 1/2 L bottle of water in 3 (myself, a friend and a girl from serbia [cheers if u'e reading this..]).. this is all my body demanded..the mind being overwhelmingly saturated by the intense feeling... just for u to know.. i was sober ..no drugs, no alcohol.. i wanted to fell just the music.. and it was great... a dream come true..

i was kinda dissapointed after the show 'cause i -personally- didn't/couldn't find the place there they sold the album - if there was such a place (cause i didn't quite had the opportunity to buy it from someplace else) :{

about the setlist.. i was very impressed to hear 46 & 2.. fave songs in the setlist... all...don't wanna say anything about maynard's behaviour..the sound..or anything else of that matter...
i was very happy/excited/impressed to see them live..great show..great music...
it was a never-lived-before experience ... no s**t! :)
hope i'll have the opportunity to see TOOL live again.. cheers to all the "soldiers" from the toolarmy..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: