opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #41
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548
Re: 2006/09/30 - Washington D.C. - Verizon Arena

great performance. Terrific energy. I liked the set list (although it was clearly to be expected looking at the performances leading up to this one). Barely any mistakes, although one in 10,000 days was at a little more criticial of a time, but quickly forgotten as the music continued. I tink 10,000 days p1 and p2 were awe inspiring. Earlier in their tour, when that was missing in the set lists I was concerened but getting to hear it was beautiful. I loved the media clips, although some were recycled from last tour. It did make me wonder about when a video will be coming out. I though the clips for rossetta stoned were best. More than anything I was happy I got to go and have the experience. They never let me down.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

My son was initiated last night at the TOOL concert in Washington, D.C. at Verizon Center Arena.

The lights went out a little after 9:00 PM and the mantra-like sound resonated throughout the arena. Maynard grabbed the microphone and said, "Welcome to the New World Order," and then the band launched into energy-filled Stinkfist. When the song was over, Maynard said with somewhat pleasantly surprised inflection, "Well, thank you very much."

The Pot was next with pauses between the beginning lyrics. The crowd ended up singing the lyrics before Maynard like they were playing back at each other. This was an excellent song live, and when the song ended, Maynard said, "We'd like to give a shout-out to a special guest. Mr. G.W." The crowd booed mercilessly and then MJK responded, "Yeah right, you think I'd invite that fuckin' clown?"

The third song was 46 & 2, and to me, it sounded better this time around as compared to the Lateralus tour in '02.

At this point, the visuals were evolving. Stinkfist had no visuals at all; The Pot had one screen behind the stage active and the Jumbo-tron hanging over the crowd. During 46 & 2 the screens behind the stage were filled. The screens, however, are much smaller, approximately 4' - 5' high instead of the large screens they had during the Lateralus tour.

Jambi was the fourth song, and the heavy bass drums were like thunder through the arena. Jambi rocks live!

A slower version of Schism followed, and this was one song I thought was better on the Lateralus tour.

In a type of break for the band, Lost Keys began playing before the long run the band had coming. Green lights were lighting up the stage from the floor, and the trance like song was a nice change of pace before Rosetta Stoned.

Rosetta Stoned is a really interesting song to hear live. It's difficult to describe, but is performed flawlessly. For me, it's a much better song live than the recorded version and the band's talent shows.

The visuals really picked up following Rosetta Stoned with extensive use of lasers starting with Wings for Marie. It was one of the best use of lasers I've seen in a long time. Rather than just laser beams, the lights would form a type of canopy over the crowd resembling a green cloudy sky. It's incredible to see live. TOOL immediately goes into 10,000 Days without hesitation providing a spiritual experience for many in the crowd. If the band only played these two songs, it would have been worth it. They could have walked off of the stage then and I would have been satisfied.

After 10,000 Days, the band sat on stage together, looking at the crowd and taking it all in. That's when Justin held up his lighter. On queue, flames from the lighters of all of the fans at the concert were lit. People who didn't have lighters lit up their cell-phones (hadn't seen that before). It reminded me of the old Coca-Cola commercial, where everyone was holding a candle "I'd like to give the world a Coke." A spectacular sight nonetheless.

For the encore, TOOL played an excellent version of Lateralus, which the crowd really got into. Following that was Vicarious, which sounded as good live as the recording. At this point, every laser and screen was going in full motion.

When Vicarious ended Maynard looked out at the crowd, raised his arm and said, "Good-fucking-night." Two seconds later, the band launched into Aenima for their closing song. The crowd went nuts; you could feel the energy ripping through you. When Maynard would sing, "And I'm praying for rain. I'm praying for tidal waves," the crowd would raise their arms and make rain-like gestures. Interestingly, I thought this song was the best closer possible considering the radical Christian fundamentalism that permeates American politics today. How could someone not appreciate "Some say the end is near, some say we'll see Armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will; I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks," in the context of Washington, D.C.?

After the song concluded, Danny threw his drumsticks to the crowd while the other band members threw Frisbees and water bottles.

My thoughts for everyone, whatever you do, don't miss seeing this band live. If you haven't seen TOOL live, whatever the price, do it.

Now then, to my ex-wife who called me and told me how I was the worst father in the world right as I was taking our 13-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter to see TOOL, all I have to say to your puritanical ass is "FUCK YOU!" Your attempt at trying to ruin our evening failed... as usual.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfacktor View Post
The lights went out a little after 9:00 PM and the mantra-like sound resonated throughout the arena.
did anybody else catch the fact the lights went off exactly at 9:11? at least according to the timepiece I saw... curious.

more later. still in awe. thanks crowd... you did a hell of a lot better than at NIN a year ago.

Last edited by thegreatunknown; 10-01-2006 at 04:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfacktor View Post
My son was initiated last night at the TOOL concert in Washington, D.C. at Verizon Center Arena.
Hah, more like best father in the world. I bet those kids minds were blown!

That show rocked my goddamn socks off, my ears are still ringing!
Old 10-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool concert. Absolutely incredible.

I sat in section 404, upper concourse. Even though I was really far from the stage, everything looked and sounded amazing.

If anyone has any pictures to share, let me know.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

The evolution animation on 46 and 2 was amazing. Does anyone know if it's possible to get ahold of that?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #47
Level 3 - Talker

1st tool concert for me....and wow, amazing. maynard nailed the pot, which shocked me (never seeing them live I didnt expect maynard to sing that good). Justin Chancellor seemed to be so into the concert looked like he was having a blast. Just simply amazing i hope to see them again
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

My first time seeing Tool, and they were great.
I wish they would have done an encore, or just stayed around longer.
I would have loved to hear Prison Sex.
The acoustics weren't that great and it was hard to hear Maynard a lot of the time, but it was still a kick ass show.
Even though there was some dumb drunk guy in standing in the stairwell blocking my sight and pretty much everyone behind him in the 400ishes. Dude, stand at your own seat and get out of my way. I had to keep telling him to move.
But anyways.
I wish I had brought my camera to get some pictures, Maynard looked AMAZING.
It was definitely worth the drive, and then some. I'm just sad that it's over.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulisshaking View Post
I love the sound in the MCI center. But I hate the security Bastards. I was dancing in the hallway, not touching anyone, becasue I was sober and aware of my surroundings, and from the beginning of the show until Lost Keys, this one cool security gaurd was giving my high fives and was like right on, keep dancing. Then this bastard security gaurd came over and told me to find a seat...then he "caught me dancing" again, and gave me the second strike warning....So anyways I had to go dance in front of a seat which is impossible. So to everyone in section 404ish I apologize for blocking your view. BUT YOU WERE SITTING AT A ROCK CONCERT. YOU WERE SITTING DURING TOOL!!!

Anyways sound was great, show was great, and I can't wait until the spring 2007 tour. Floor seats at venues where there are seats suck, because you can't move around, and at MCI they are really hard core about keeping the aisles clear....so no dancing on the floor. Hopefully they will come back to Richmond, or other arenas with no seats on the floor, so meatheads can mosh up front, and I can dance in the back of the floor!!

The different types of people amaze me as well at tool shows....I listen to mainly live electronic music....and am a cross between/ phish/dead head, DJ house trance music club kid, and a TOOL head...its a weird combination, but leads to lots of dancing and positive spirituality. I saw Tool for the first time in 1993...and have seen them 8 times total now...I love all their music, but I missed not getting a disposition>Reflection>Triad.....which I think is the greatest three song combo ever. A parabola would be nice as well....hopefully they will add those back in during the next tour...and maybe mix up the setlist.

So Arcantus...I completely agree with your comments on who gets Tool in what ways....it does not matter what gets you off, or how you get off, as long as you get off...without being an ass to others. I know the people behind me while I was dancing thought I was an ass.....but THEY WERE SITTING DOWN AT A TOOL CONCERT.

You were right behind me, if you were the guy wearing the red shirt? And I 've gotta say, you weren't in my way at all. It was awesome to see someone so in to the music without being drunk or really in the way like the guy wearing the Fuck It shirt.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #50
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

This was my 5th tool show, and i have to say it was only decent. The lack full visuals up unitl Wings/10,000 was very disappointing. They have a large area above the band that they really should have used. The sound from section 109 seemed to be muddled, very hard to draw out the individual instruments. I really think the need to switch the set around, to me Vicarious would have been a great opener, utilizing full effects, including the lasers. Wings/10,000 was one of the best parts of the show, as well as all of the songs after they band sat on stage. Rosetta Stoned was lackluster, and the visuals Blair discussed filming couldnt be seen unless u looked up at the Score board over the top of the arena, or unless u were at the very top of the seating. The visuals needed to be broadcast fully over the top of the band! all i could see was the top 1/8th of the visuals behind the band members. The lateralus tour in terms of song selection and visuals was far more stimulating to the senses than the 10,000 days show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #51
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkabajung View Post
He said

" It's been 10 years now. 10 years of your favorite serial killer. Give a bow, Junior."

Something along those lines. I think naturally everybody thought he was talking about Justin.
Since my previous response was deleted (?), I will respond to this again.
This time in a more detailed manner....

As previously stated, I am junior.
That's not meant as a wise-ass comment, and it is certainly not off-topic to a review of this show.
I am the junior that was being referred to.
It wasn't about Justin. Justin has been in Tool for nearly 11 years, anyway.
Just trying to clear that up since there seems to be some confusion.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #52
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Awesome show.....I gave it to myself for my birthday....and I got to share it with 5 TOOL virgins....they were all WAY more than impressed. Am thinking of hitting the Wilkes-Barre show tomorrow.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #53
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple pants View Post
You were right behind me, if you were the guy wearing the red shirt? And I 've gotta say, you weren't in my way at all. It was awesome to see someone so in to the music without being drunk or really in the way like the guy wearing the Fuck It shirt.
Dude....if you were over in 404-ish, I know who you were. I also saw the dude in the red shirt in the portal dancing....props to him, but everyone thought he was wasted. My cousin was sitting in the aisle and the SAME security guard (presuming it was the same section) told my cousin to find a seat twice with TWO songs left. lol To that securty guard....quit taking yourself so seriously hokmes.

Anyone want to hook me with a tic tomorrow?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

I was in 105 also, down in row Q. I went with a friend of mine that has listened to Tool, but I don't think he ever quite "got it" until last night. Fucking amazing show. Wings pt 1 and 2 was easily the best part of the show. The whole section I was in seemed pretty chill. Friend of mine was freaking out about smoking at the show, and I told him if we didn't smell pot.... there was a problem. Sure enough, right when the pot started, 4 or 5 people around us lit up, so it was only right I followed suit... There was a couple sitting right on either side of us that sat the entire show, but hey, different people enjoy the show in different ways, so to each his/her own.

Overall, fucking amazing show, it was my first live Tool show, and I'm definately getting tickets to the next one thats anywhere remotely close to Delaware.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #55
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jre9198 View Post
Isis sucked. The three guitarist to the left were all moving together like it was a choreographed seizure. And what was with the keyboard players leg? Anyone else see that? Shaking like he had to piss real bad. My brother pointed it out to me and I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of his set. The lead singer's voice wasn't all bad, but he would only sing for about 10 seconds, and then it would be 2 minutes of the same riff over and over. Why do they need 4 guitarists.... They could suck with one.... and their name backwards is SISI.
Isis was awesome. Far more emotional on guitar than tool. The sound just sucked there, and you couldn't make out the guitars.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #56
Level 2 - Poster

Drove nearly 8 hours from Columbia, SC with three friends. Stayed with my Aunt in Alexandria. Sooooo worth it.

Amazing show. Visuals were awesome, sound was great. I sat in 403. I was stunned the entire time. The only bad thing about the show was this douche behind me kept screaming the words to all the songs extremely loud and obnoxious, drowning out Maynard and changing the words to suit his drunk ass. For example, he shouted "I wanna get high" during the Pot. He ruined Aenima for me by screaming "Better Swim" the entire time. If you're going to scream the lyrics, at least get them right. What a jackass.

Anyways, I love when they sat down together on stage after 10,000 Days. Really cool vibes from that. And to the dancing guy: rock on. I saw you the whole concert and it was great seeing someone so moved by the music. I sat down during 10,000 Days. Stood up most of the rest of the concert. 46 and 2 killed me, and so did Schism. Rosetta Stoned rocked. Lateralus brought me to my knees. Stinkfist was a great opener. Also, Isis was pretty badass too. They played a good set. I'd pay to see them again. Glad I finally saw Tool. I've had an itch since forever to see them... can't wait 'till next spring.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #57
Level 3 - Talker

First, I want to thank EVERYONE who came out to the show. I seriously believe that D.C. brought the fucking noise lastnight. This was the best crowd i have ever been apart of. once again....THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!! Especially everyone in sec 100....cool motherfuckers in there feeling out the whole night. Everybody was moving. and to the guy infront of me in row H....I would have hit the Jay but my girl wouldnt have liked that too much. Enough bout the crowd though......Why would anyone Nit-pick about all the stupid standard malfunctions of a huge live productions.? Tool was on point. The most on point i have ever seen them. I've been following the tour on youtube.com. Nothing even remotely close to being there........obviously. I was amazed at how on maynard was. It seemed as if getting over his sickness has really re-amped him for this leg of the tour. I believe its totally called for for everyone to see the show at least three times to take it all in...........but anywho.......great fucking show......seems like it was better than a lot of the shows that ive been reading about........that or the D.C. Crowd is just that damn cool that they dont bitch bout someone hitting one bad note!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ryry85; 10-01-2006 at 10:52 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 03:13 AM   #58
Level 7 - Loquacious

What was maynards reference to 2008?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 03:27 AM   #59
Level 2 - Poster

I'm a big TOOL fan but I just can't drink the coolaid on Rosetta/10,000 and especially lost keys. Save the, "You just don't get it dude." Yea, whatever stoners. They could have shipped some of that and played Right in Two and maybe something older. I'm glad maynard limited his Bush bashing. I voted for kerry also, even though he was a terrible candidate, but I tire easily of celebs piling on the right. We get it, you're a blind lefty, now shut up and act/sing whatever. As far as the show. They were awesome. Maynard sounded great for the most part and the other three are at the top of the talent pool of rock music. If there is a better Drummer than DC, I don't know who it is. Tool filled up the upper deck and even metallica, with a much better warm up band (Godsmack) didn't do that. Great show, but they can fuck themselves with thier $43 2x Tee shirts that would still be to small.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 03:51 AM   #60
Level 2 - Poster

Man, just got back to NYC from DC, and the show was AWESOME. 46+2 was amazing and spectacular, Lateralus and Vicarious, too. Decent place, security couldn't see me stokin' it, so I was happy. Yeah, I could have made do without "Lost Keys" in favor of Parabola or Hooker, but they will probably not play that and Rosetta and Wings 1+2 ever again so, it was cool. Excellent show and WAY BETTER SOUND than the small house show at NYC City Center in May. I guess the soundman must be reading all these posts here about "less bass, more Maynard". That's what we got Saturday in DC. Thanks to the soundman! Yay!

Maynard had more to say than reported at other shows. Funny how the moron above here calls all non-Righties "blind Lefties". Too bad Bush sucks, huh? Yeah, I guess it would be bad to SAY SO, huh? Jeeeeesh.....

He is correct about the T-shirt prices. Total gouge. Hey TOOL, We bought the records, we bought a ticket, we paid TicketBastard, too. How about a BREAK for the real TOOL fan who actually SHOWS UP TO SEE YOUR ASS?

This must be their last tour, as they are grabbing all the gold they can, and don't care whom they insult in that way.
"I HOPE< I HOPE< I HOPE< YOU CHOKE!"
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 AM   #61
Level 2 - Poster

Oh yeah, and the "candle moment" of everyone holding up their lighters was fuller than any I've ever seen. I've been going to (and playing) shows since Jethro Tull in 77, and this one was by far the brightest, with the most lighters. Very amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 04:46 AM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judas96 View Post
He is correct about the T-shirt prices. Total gouge. Hey TOOL, We bought the records, we bought a ticket, we paid TicketBastard, too. How about a BREAK for the real TOOL fan who actually SHOWS UP TO SEE YOUR ASS?

This must be their last tour, as they are grabbing all the gold they can, and don't care whom they insult in that way.
Well, the band members must think it's pretty funny when you walk around with a $40.00 shirt that says "Tool" on it. Hence why aside from the occasional band shirt I wear clothing without words or phrases: it classifies you, typifies you, and discredits your humanity.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 05:27 AM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslupminoyler View Post

Some little guy in front of me in section 105 s was doing a really annoying drunkin monkey jive.

I was in 105 too, and I think that I saw the guy you are referring to, I was more interested in seeing the band and being in the moment, but he was definitely a distraction. I am sure he was on something, and instead of relaxing him, it seemed to make him angry and combative towards others and his admittedly very cute girlfriend. I hate to say poor thing, but she seemed to have a lot to deal with in him and his actions that night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

mine and mywifes first tool show. her birthday was the day of the show. we drove all the way from south carolina for this show. it was unbelievable. cant wait to see them again. the fans were also great. one idiot though kept shoulering his girl and pissing her off and showing everyone behind him his ass crack. there was alot of weed too. well worth the 1000 mile round trip.
sec 121row n seats 13 + 14

"we'd like to welcome our guest of honor GW, just kidding i wouldnt invite that fucker"

also i think another date someone said that they thought the band around maynards arm was to cover a tattoo, but i think its where his ear moniter was connected. instead of having it clipped to the back of his pants.

thank you tool and everyone there for a truely wonderful experience. see yall next time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmclean View Post
I'm glad maynard limited his Bush bashing. I voted for kerry also, even though he was a terrible candidate, but I tire easily of celebs piling on the right. We get it, you're a blind lefty, now shut up and act/sing whatever.
You really do not know much do you? ...Maynard/Tool as a whole are by far not blind lefty's, so maybe you should re-think your statement about being a "big Tool fan" and do some research before making blanket statements that are totally unfounded. I agree with you of sorts on the Kerry comment, but he was still the better option. Hit repeat on your Creed CD now...
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
What was maynards reference to 2008?
tool in 2008
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 05:44 AM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

yea ryry85 i was in section 100, that was about the chillest group of people i ever met. best crowd ive ever been in too. o and mikeinmclean , i hope you didnt just call maynard a "blind leftist"
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #68
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcantus View Post
Well, the band members must think it's pretty funny when you walk around with a $40.00 shirt that says "Tool" on it. Hence why aside from the occasional band shirt I wear clothing without words or phrases: it classifies you, typifies you, and discredits your humanity.

It makes you a walking billboard whose role you've paid 50.00 to play. You are an advertisement. And don’t wear the shirt of the band you are going to see. Don’t be that guy. :-)

The show was killer. This was my sixth time seeing TOOL and hands down the best time I've ever had at their concert. The new material sounded way better than it did at Coachella, with Adam nailing the Jambi solo and not missing the change into the riffage that precedes it. Danny was a machine, but that is standard. Justin really seems to be taking a more forward role and this is a great thing. Maynard's rooster dance during Rosetta Stoned was hilarious. I was in section 106, row A, and, from here, everything was a sight to behold. I was especially blown away by the crowd response. I have been to probably 300 various concerts/shows over the course of the last ten years and this was the most impressive crowd I've ever been a part of, with the obvious exception of a few individual cells that are ever present. "Pittsburg was louder?" I don't think that is even possible. To the wasted high school dudes who moseyed down to the front of the aisle for Vicarious and Aenema: I'm not sure if anyone told you this or not but you guy's reeked of vomit. I'm really glad I didn't have to ride home with anyone smelling like my freshmen college dorm on a Friday night. Wisdom > Intelligence.

The highlight of the event, however, didn't even happen at the concert. My friends and I arrived in the Chinatown area around 1:30 that afternoon to have a few beers, celebrate seeing the people we want to see more but just don't have the time, and to watch the Va Tech game (only downer of the day but after what happened it really didn't matter). We park under the Verizon Center and are walking to RFD's and I'm wondering if the band is already in town or not. We cross the street and as we turn right upon reaching the sidewalk I realize that Adam Jones is standing on the sidewalk waiting for someone (Camella?) inside one of the stores. Adam Jones. Hanging out. On the sidewalk. I walk a foot away from him, staring like an idiot, I'm sure, and continue on my merry way. I wait until we are probably 30 feet up the street and I let my companions in on the secret. At first they don't believe me but he turns around and sure enough, they are made believers. They want me to go back down there are say something but seeing as how I appreciate and respect their desire for privacy and him not exactly "being on the clock, yet (he is just hanging out after all)," I refuse and keep on trucking. Trust me in saying that this was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. At that moment I wanted nothing more than to walk back down there, open my mouth, and tell him that since discovering TOOL in early 1994 they have been an integral part of my development from adolescence, through puberty, and into adulthood. That they have been with me through heartache and angst and loss, love and hate, self destruction and self discovery, addiction and release, depression and elation. I wanted more than anything to thank him for this gift but inside I felt the words would have been unnecessary. The four people that make up this collective know that they strike a deep chord with certain people and that we appreciate their work. Our heroes, whether they are rock stars or teachers or parents or soldiers or activists, whether they are real or fictional, are however, ultimately individuals just like us. We are the ones who elevate their status. Aldous Huxley once said that "all gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." Walking past Mr. Jones on the street, just like I would any other normal human being, did more for my Self than going up and being "the fan" I so desired to be because I saw one of my heroes as they really are. I saw him as another human being on a crowded street with the entire relative pretense that we subscribe to our own gods stripped away. It was awesome and I am changed for the better and once again, TOOL has managed to alter my perception in a way that is both beneficial and bittersweet. I could have been selfish and intrusive and been able to post on my MySpace that I met Adam Jones. In doing so, however, I would have only succeeded in cementing his feet into a pedestal and ensuring my inability to ever see him or the rest of the band as human beings like I am and like you are, and the epiphany would have been missed with the moment.

He's really starting to go grey by the way . . .
Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 AM   #69
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judas96 View Post

Ummm, have you been to any other show at a major venue lately? Those are standard t-shirt prices. It's your choice to be a sheep and buy it, or look somewhere else to buy a shirt (try ebay).
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 AM   #70
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySlave View Post
IWe cross the street and as we turn right upon reaching the sidewalk I realize that Adam Jones is standing on the sidewalk waiting for someone (Camella?) inside one of the stores. Adam Jones. Hanging out. On the sidewalk. I walk a foot away from him, staring like an idiot, I'm sure, and continue on my merry way. I wait until we are probably 30 feet up the street and I let my companions in on the secret. At first they don't believe me but he turns around and sure enough, they are made believers. They want me to go back down there are say something but seeing as how I appreciate and respect their desire for privacy and him not exactly "being on the clock, yet (he is just hanging out after all)," I refuse and keep on trucking.
I think I would have just said "what's up, adam" and kept walking. Acknowledging him and saying hi, but limiting to that and keeping the privacy respect.

Camella was at the show photographing. I saw her taking pics of maynard from behind adams amps.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #71
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 28

Great show...section 101 had a clear shot at the whole band. Sounded great from where I was. From what I could see all night, security weren't being nazis at all, they just let everyone jam down uninterrupted. This is the 2nd time I've seen Tool this year (1st one was the 5/20 NYC show) and security was cool there as well. Glad we lucked out. Stinkfist was a fuckin sweet opener, especially just jumping right into it without the intro. Schism on crack was fun as shit...even though I'd already heard it once, I'd forgotten how crazy it was.
I'm not going to try to relate any highlights, because I don't think it ever let up once it started, so, to me, if I point one thing out I liked "the most" then I'd have to mention about 50 other things.
The LASERS were an awesome touch, I didn't quite understand what people meant by lasers "making the smoke look like clouds"...shit, I do now. B a d a s s.
As far as the performance, it was better than I hoped it would be. They were all on point. Adam was great as always, and I didn't feel like Maynard was backing off at all like someone else said. He was going headfirst into all the damn notes. Justin was pulling the rest of the band along behind him, just in his own world driving most of the songs. Danny...shit dude, I'm so damn glad someone decided to hand him a drumstick one day.
Anyway, no complaints, 3rd tool show was (barely) my favorite one so far.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #72
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
I think I would have just said "what's up, adam" and kept walking. Acknowledging him and saying hi, but limiting to that and keeping the privacy respect.
I think Adam would have been cool with a quick, "hello." I ran into Justin back in May before the NYC show just walking down the street. I just said, "Hey, are you Justin?" I think I might have scared him a little cause he kinda backed away. But I just told him it was great to meet him, I'm a big fan, looking forward to the show, blah blah. He smiled, said "thanks." No big deal. Now with Maynard I've heard it's better to say nothing, or you'll probably go away disappointed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #73
Hym
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Isis sucked. The three guitarist to the left were all moving together like it was a choreographed seizure. And what was with the keyboard players leg? Anyone else see that? Shaking like he had to piss real bad. My brother pointed it out to me and I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of his set. The lead singer's voice wasn't all bad, but he would only sing for about 10 seconds, and then it would be 2 minutes of the same riff over and over. Why do they need 4 guitarists.... They could suck with one.... and their name backwards is SISI.
That's funny coming from a TOOL fan.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:43 AM   #74
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
When he said Pitt was louder, he got some cheers. Then he said, "Nope. They were still louder." And I thought it got pretty loud. Then he said, "Look. I'm going to give you one last chance." That's when I thought a damn train was coming through the place.

Gary, the FOH sound tech on the tour, has been watching the dB levels every night and DC is currently tied with Phoenix for the loudest crowd noise.
110 dB.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:47 AM   #75
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 28

Oh yeah, ISIS sounded fuckin awesome. I was in line for beer during "so did we", the first song, but got in there to hear the rest of their set. I've been listening to them for a little while, so I knew what to expect music-wise. I think that a lot of the people that are bitching about them would prob get into them if they listened to em a little bit more. Didn't Rage fans bitch about Tool back in the day when they opened for them? Just remember, you're allowed to like other bands besides Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 AM   #76
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Junior, congratulations on ten years of great lighting work.

Here's a question for you. Since you get a perspective of the show that most of us don't, in your opinion, What was the most elaborate TOOL stage set up?

My personal favorite was the second N. American Leg (2002). The current setup seems like a great idea (floor projections), but when you see it it's only okay. Or maybe I'm just missing the great visuals that are usually behind the band, not on the jumbotron above.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #77
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

the show was fantastic overall, great sound, enthusiastic crowd...the place was packed.

best weekend ever for me tool saturday, met a girl who was fucking awesome, and saw the redskins get the best of jacksonville....the tool crowd was almost as loud as the crowd at the game
Old 10-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #78
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Bincount™: 7

On songs like "the Pot" and "wings" it is important to here Justin, because he is more of the focus. Unfortunately, from 105 I didn't feel the reverberations of the low end at all. The bass drum was also too loud.
It was still enjoyable to a large degree.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 09:30 AM   #79
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Junior, congratulations on ten years of great lighting work.

Here's a question for you. Since you get a perspective of the show that most of us don't, in your opinion, What was the most elaborate TOOL stage set up?

My personal favorite was the second N. American Leg (2002). The current setup seems like a great idea (floor projections), but when you see it it's only okay. Or maybe I'm just missing the great visuals that are usually behind the band, not on the jumbotron above.

I liked the 2002 tour a lot.
I do appreciate the differences that the current tour contains, however.
It allows for 2 very different experiences. If you are on the floor you don't get the video experience as much, but you get some other benefits. If you are high up in the seats you get a cooler experience than you would normally.
Mostly it's just good that Tool aren't afraid of trying something radically different for their shows. Tool have done the same "big screen behind them" look for a lot of tours, and this is quite a departure from that. It could turn out that we go back to something more like that in the future. Hard to say right now. This isn't the last leg of this tour, anyway, so things will probably change again.
From my location at the show (on the floor about 100' from the stage) I don't really see any of the video on the stage deck, but I do see the 6' wall behind them, and occassionally the scoreboard (when we use it). From the pictures I've seen from high up the stage looks pretty cool, though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #80
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I think Adam would have been cool with a quick, "hello." I ran into Justin back in May before the NYC show just walking down the street. I just said, "Hey, are you Justin?" I think I might have scared him a little cause he kinda backed away. But I just told him it was great to meet him, I'm a big fan, looking forward to the show, blah blah. He smiled, said "thanks." No big deal. Now with Maynard I've heard it's better to say nothing, or you'll probably go away disappointed.
yea, he seems a bit of an introvert and probably would be overwhelmed with the attention or atleast I could see him coming off as "smug" or snotty.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: