Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
TheJuiceOfSatan's Avatar TheJuiceOfSatan
08-26-2006, 11:47 PM

I dont know if anyone has even considered this, but tool had a different producer on 10kdays as we all know. Lateralus and Aenima had David Botrill as the producer. He must have had some influence on these albums, even though tool are so for doing things their way. Perhaps this is why 10kdays sounds a little different or disappointing.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
On Probation

Location: Dick of the States FL SatanCount™:666 Rule1aViolationCount™:1
Bincount™: 4438
Different Producer

I dont know if anyone has even considered this, but tool had a different producer on 10kdays as we all know. Lateralus and Aenima had David Botrill as the producer. He must have had some influence on these albums, even though tool are so for doing things their way. Perhaps this is why 10kdays sounds a little different or disappointing.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
08-27-2006, 12:27 AM

Also, i think tool took more control this time. they pretty much produced it themselves almost. this is completely their thing. no outside influence really. Perhaps this has affected the sound. i love 10kdays, it just still sounds a little off. i dunno, it might just be me. it sounds incomplete.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
On Probation

Re: Different Producer

Also, i think tool took more control this time. they pretty much produced it themselves almost. this is completely their thing. no outside influence really. Perhaps this has affected the sound. i love 10kdays, it just still sounds a little off. i dunno, it might just be me. it sounds incomplete.
RedMetalSox's Avatar RedMetalSox
08-27-2006, 12:30 AM

didnt tool produce it?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #3
King of Anal

Bincount™: 3492

didnt tool produce it?
08-27-2006, 12:57 AM

no, joe baressi, i think had a hand in it too. this is just from memory.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
On Probation

no, joe baressi, i think had a hand in it too. this is just from memory.
tDoXoMl
08-27-2006, 01:08 AM

Ill take a gamble and say the album would have been better had they kept botrill.
And i wouldnt put no small amount on that bet either...
Old 08-27-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 70

Ill take a gamble and say the album would have been better had they kept botrill.
And i wouldnt put no small amount on that bet either...
08-27-2006, 01:27 AM

yes, i think botrill could have helped it turn out a little better.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:27 AM   #6
On Probation

Akasha's Avatar Akasha
08-27-2006, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuiceOfSatan View Post
Old 08-27-2006, 01:33 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
08-27-2006, 01:38 AM

This has been discussed to the point of disgust.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

This has been discussed to the point of disgust.
08-27-2006, 01:41 AM

really? cuz this is the first ive heard of it. ive never even seen anyone type anything about this. news to me.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:41 AM   #9
On Probation

really? cuz this is the first ive heard of it. ive never even seen anyone type anything about this. news to me.
08-27-2006, 01:46 AM

Use the search function to find old threads about it. Search for Baressi, I guess... Believe me, you are not alone in your thoughts. But I entirely disagree.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:46 AM   #10
Banned.

Use the search function to find old threads about it. Search for Baressi, I guess... Believe me, you are not alone in your thoughts. But I entirely disagree.
08-27-2006, 01:47 AM

eh, i still like it, it just feels imcomplete.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:47 AM   #11
On Probation

eh, i still like it, it just feels imcomplete.
08-27-2006, 02:03 AM

I don't think Botrill could have changed that feeling in you. With Botrill it would have sounded cleaner and more polished, but I don't really think Tool would have been taking much advice in terms of how they should play their songs. These songs would still essentially be the same, just with a different production (obviously). I think the mood of the songs would not sit well with a Botrill approach. Far better to have the raw, garage quality of Baressi - but balanced well as it is with the huge amount of hi-tech that went into this. I think it is also the mood of the songs that influences your feeling of incompletion. I believe that this is exactly the feeling that most of the songs are born in. This is not an uplifting album like Lateralus. It is about conflict, loss, personal decay and stupidity. There are also elements of great discovery and unity, but these are not the most prevelent aspects of the work. So I think it is natural for listeners to find themselves slightly lost after hearing this album. But once you realise that it is the art itself which encourages this feeling - not some mistake by a producer - then you can find the truly positive message in 10,000 Days. That the only logical path forward from incompletion, from fragmentation, is towards unity. We just need to act. To move by will alone.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:03 AM   #12
Banned.

I don't think Botrill could have changed that feeling in you. With Botrill it would have sounded cleaner and more polished, but I don't really think Tool would have been taking much advice in terms of how they should play their songs. These songs would still essentially be the same, just with a different production (obviously). I think the mood of the songs would not sit well with a Botrill approach. Far better to have the raw, garage quality of Baressi - but balanced well as it is with the huge amount of hi-tech that went into this. I think it is also the mood of the songs that influences your feeling of incompletion. I believe that this is exactly the feeling that most of the songs are born in. This is not an uplifting album like Lateralus. It is about conflict, loss, personal decay and stupidity. There are also elements of great discovery and unity, but these are not the most prevelent aspects of the work. So I think it is natural for listeners to find themselves slightly lost after hearing this album. But once you realise that it is the art itself which encourages this feeling - not some mistake by a producer - then you can find the truly positive message in 10,000 Days. That the only logical path forward from incompletion, from fragmentation, is towards unity. We just need to act. To move by will alone.
08-27-2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises View Post

thanks impland, that is how i feel about the album. you put it into words for me.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:30 AM   #13
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises View Post

thanks impland, that is how i feel about the album. you put it into words for me.
08-27-2006, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Sweet as. I am happy you understood what I was saying, I was expecting resistance for some reason. :-)
Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 AM   #14
Banned.

Quote:
Sweet as. I am happy you understood what I was saying, I was expecting resistance for some reason. :-)
08-27-2006, 02:48 AM

im always open to a different view. it just happens to be mine too. i still wish they would have put one more song on it though. need more music, less interludes.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:48 AM   #15
On Probation

im always open to a different view. it just happens to be mine too. i still wish they would have put one more song on it though. need more music, less interludes.
08-27-2006, 02:58 AM

I remember thinking that about Aenima. I haven't thought it in a long time though. Maybe this is because I have come to enjoy listening to entire albums with all of their movements. However, maybe it is possible that Viginti Tres and Lipan Conjuring could have been replaced with a really wicked spontaneous studio jam.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:58 AM   #16
Banned.

I remember thinking that about Aenima. I haven't thought it in a long time though. Maybe this is because I have come to enjoy listening to entire albums with all of their movements. However, maybe it is possible that Viginti Tres and Lipan Conjuring could have been replaced with a really wicked spontaneous studio jam.
mike09's Avatar mike09
08-27-2006, 08:10 AM

Baressi didn't produce the album, he was the engineer. Tool produced it.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:10 AM   #17
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

08-27-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09 View Post
Good point.

Edit: and there goes my magic post number...
Old 08-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #18
Banned.

Quote:
Good point.

Edit: and there goes my magic post number...
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
08-27-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
yeah that's what i was thinking the moment i read this thread. i doubt Baressi or Botrill had much say at all in what the songs were. just how they sounded.

now Tool sounds like QOTSA or Kyuss, which i actually like a lot because those are two of my other favorite bands. but i don't think the album would've been different, musically, with a different engineer.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:49 AM   #19
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
yeah that's what i was thinking the moment i read this thread. i doubt Baressi or Botrill had much say at all in what the songs were. just how they sounded.

now Tool sounds like QOTSA or Kyuss, which i actually like a lot because those are two of my other favorite bands. but i don't think the album would've been different, musically, with a different engineer.
08-27-2006, 09:54 AM

nope, an engineer just works the knobs.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #20
On Probation

nope, an engineer just works the knobs.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
08-27-2006, 10:46 AM

Baressi is responsible for having the guitars being more upfront, which turned out to be a really big fucking mistake.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #21
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

Baressi is responsible for having the guitars being more upfront, which turned out to be a really big fucking mistake.
08-27-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
do a search for barresi, there's tons of threads about this. I'm not gonna be an asshole and lock this one but I would appreciate it if things were searched for, yes.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #22
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
do a search for barresi, there's tons of threads about this. I'm not gonna be an asshole and lock this one but I would appreciate it if things were searched for, yes.
TBL
08-27-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath View Post

I gotta agree. Drums are too damn quiet too. Lateralus had a pretty good mix of the 4 seperate guys. I don't know why they decided to put the guitar to the forefront, considering they are an "equality" type band.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #23
TBL
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath View Post

I gotta agree. Drums are too damn quiet too. Lateralus had a pretty good mix of the 4 seperate guys. I don't know why they decided to put the guitar to the forefront, considering they are an "equality" type band.
08-27-2006, 11:51 AM

to make it more immediately powerful i guess.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #24
On Probation

to make it more immediately powerful i guess.
08-27-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
i dont scour the threads, so i didnt know this. everyone makes mistakes.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #25
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
i dont scour the threads, so i didnt know this. everyone makes mistakes.
paraflux
08-27-2006, 03:40 PM

of course. no harm done.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #26
Banned.

of course. no harm done.
ATObassist's Avatar ATObassist
08-27-2006, 04:00 PM

when asked about the producer changes from massey to botrill to themselves the band said that it didnt make a difference to them. i think it was in the revolver magazine article with them as the cover story. they said that throughout their career they would do a lot of producing work themselves (hince on all their other albums it would cite tool as co-producers) and botrill or massey would ask for a producer credit and they said sure and gave it to them. i dont think it would make any difference on this album if they had kept botrill or massey or gotten anyone else for that matter.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

when asked about the producer changes from massey to botrill to themselves the band said that it didnt make a difference to them. i think it was in the revolver magazine article with them as the cover story. they said that throughout their career they would do a lot of producing work themselves (hince on all their other albums it would cite tool as co-producers) and botrill or massey would ask for a producer credit and they said sure and gave it to them. i dont think it would make any difference on this album if they had kept botrill or massey or gotten anyone else for that matter.
08-27-2006, 06:45 PM

the band also said that they had the songs like 90 something percent done before they went into the studio. so the songs wouldn'tve been any different, just the overall sound.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #28
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

the band also said that they had the songs like 90 something percent done before they went into the studio. so the songs wouldn'tve been any different, just the overall sound.
08-27-2006, 09:41 PM

I think the album is different, just like all of their albums, and this album is just as good as all their alubms. The producer had no real influence on my opinion. Baressi clearly went for a rougher sound. It was a sound that Tool wanted.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #29
Banned.

Bincount™: 3710

I think the album is different, just like all of their albums, and this album is just as good as all their alubms. The producer had no real influence on my opinion. Baressi clearly went for a rougher sound. It was a sound that Tool wanted.
Idiotica
08-28-2006, 02:10 AM

they called in barresi to get the sound they wanted for the album.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:10 AM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 36

they called in barresi to get the sound they wanted for the album.
MacFoley's Avatar MacFoley
08-28-2006, 04:17 AM

sounds just as good as when i first put it on. infact i think the sound is even better than on lateralus in my opion.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:17 AM   #31
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

sounds just as good as when i first put it on. infact i think the sound is even better than on lateralus in my opion.
guitarpete987
08-28-2006, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoley View Post
The sound overall IS better than on Lateralus. Lateralus is too tame in my opinion. Definitely not raw-sounding enough. But it worked for that album. That whole record was squeaky clean.

This album needed to sound unhinged, wreckless, like it was about to just burst at the seams. You can feel it in the songs themselves. Like at the end of the breakdown in Right In Two, before the vocals come back in, where the Danny is absolutely exploding on the drums and the bass and drums do the hits -- there is clipping and crackling all over the place, but the actual quality of the sound, the timbre of the notes and the tone and just everything is perfect for what they are trying to do. At least from my perspective.

This album needed to sound warmer and more alive. Getting Bottril to help dial in what they wanted would have likely resulted in something more cold and mechanical, which is perfect for albums like Aenima and Lateralus. But not this one.

And maybe it's the systems I use, but I hear the drums just fine. They sound very loud to me. Louder than on any other Tool record, that's for sure. Being a drummer as well as a guitarist, I listen for all the subtleties, and I can definitely hear them all.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 AM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoley View Post
The sound overall IS better than on Lateralus. Lateralus is too tame in my opinion. Definitely not raw-sounding enough. But it worked for that album. That whole record was squeaky clean.

This album needed to sound unhinged, wreckless, like it was about to just burst at the seams. You can feel it in the songs themselves. Like at the end of the breakdown in Right In Two, before the vocals come back in, where the Danny is absolutely exploding on the drums and the bass and drums do the hits -- there is clipping and crackling all over the place, but the actual quality of the sound, the timbre of the notes and the tone and just everything is perfect for what they are trying to do. At least from my perspective.

This album needed to sound warmer and more alive. Getting Bottril to help dial in what they wanted would have likely resulted in something more cold and mechanical, which is perfect for albums like Aenima and Lateralus. But not this one.

And maybe it's the systems I use, but I hear the drums just fine. They sound very loud to me. Louder than on any other Tool record, that's for sure. Being a drummer as well as a guitarist, I listen for all the subtleties, and I can definitely hear them all.
paraflux
08-28-2006, 06:50 AM

When I listen to Lateralus now, I think the vocals are way too loud.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:50 AM   #33
Banned.

When I listen to Lateralus now, I think the vocals are way too loud.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
08-28-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
...or maybe thats why it sounds so sublime.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:23 AM   #34
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
...or maybe thats why it sounds so sublime.
08-28-2006, 02:13 PM

The Lateralus production was very good. I thought everything was done perfectly on that album. 10kdays has a louder sounds, more in your face. everything is just fine EQ wise EXCEPT for the vocals. they could have been bumped up just a bit. other that than 10kdays sounds fucking sweet, especially the drums.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #35
On Probation

The Lateralus production was very good. I thought everything was done perfectly on that album. 10kdays has a louder sounds, more in your face. everything is just fine EQ wise EXCEPT for the vocals. they could have been bumped up just a bit. other that than 10kdays sounds fucking sweet, especially the drums.
tomhet
08-30-2006, 12:04 AM

A while ago I started a thread about the same thing, because I still think 10kdays is a disappointing. I don't feel the same unity as in previous albums. Besides, some songs are unbearable to me, like The Pot or Right in Two. Sorry, that's my opinion.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #36
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

A while ago I started a thread about the same thing, because I still think 10kdays is a disappointing. I don't feel the same unity as in previous albums. Besides, some songs are unbearable to me, like The Pot or Right in Two. Sorry, that's my opinion.
paraflux
08-30-2006, 06:05 AM

I wouldnt go that far. AEnima is still a clean, precise bottrill-esque album. Undertow was raw-sounding.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:05 AM   #37
Banned.

I wouldnt go that far. AEnima is still a clean, precise bottrill-esque album. Undertow was raw-sounding.
twinheads
08-30-2006, 09:51 AM

Yah the album does sound incomplete... And I think in terms of production this is the worst tool album to capture what the songs are trying to interpret since Opiate...And thats just b/c that was their first shit...It was simple and too the point and they didnt really need big production to make Opiate sound any better than it could have.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Yah the album does sound incomplete... And I think in terms of production this is the worst tool album to capture what the songs are trying to interpret since Opiate...And thats just b/c that was their first shit...It was simple and too the point and they didnt really need big production to make Opiate sound any better than it could have.
08-30-2006, 03:18 PM

it just sounds like its missing something to me. like another song, it just feels too short really. i mean theres really only 7 songs on here, and 2 of them are over 15 minutes long. it just needs one more fucking song.............i mean im satisfied with whats presented, and im really starting to dig wings for marie 1 & 2, but it all feels incomplete overall. another song and it would be fucking perfect. and the pot is truly the hooker with a penis for 10kdays. its a good song and everything, but i really love the esoteric and meandering tool the most. it just needs another fucking song dammit.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #39
On Probation

it just sounds like its missing something to me. like another song, it just feels too short really. i mean theres really only 7 songs on here, and 2 of them are over 15 minutes long. it just needs one more fucking song.............i mean im satisfied with whats presented, and im really starting to dig wings for marie 1 & 2, but it all feels incomplete overall. another song and it would be fucking perfect. and the pot is truly the hooker with a penis for 10kdays. its a good song and everything, but i really love the esoteric and meandering tool the most. it just needs another fucking song dammit.
08-30-2006, 06:12 PM

i think i finally figured out what i dont like about 10kdays. i dont like maynard's singing as much as i should. its good mostly, just not beautiful like it used to be. too rough and scratchy. i know hes still got that beautfiul voice in him. let it out nard.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #40
On Probation

i think i finally figured out what i dont like about 10kdays. i dont like maynard's singing as much as i should. its good mostly, just not beautiful like it used to be. too rough and scratchy. i know hes still got that beautfiul voice in him. let it out nard.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply