Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
06-07-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILS
Deuceman, Well done man.. The only thing that I would change is, in my opinion, Maynard is the only member of the band that has lost his energy.
Agree. I actually followed up my OP with this remark. I think Danny, Adam, Justin are still loving what they're doing. Especially Danny and Justin, who have more influence on 10,000 Days and a higher profile.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #81
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367
Re: Go back and listen to early Tool....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILS
Deuceman, Well done man.. The only thing that I would change is, in my opinion, Maynard is the only member of the band that has lost his energy.
Agree. I actually followed up my OP with this remark. I think Danny, Adam, Justin are still loving what they're doing. Especially Danny and Justin, who have more influence on 10,000 Days and a higher profile.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
06-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
I have no idea why you'd want Opiate part 2, 3, 4 and 5.

If you want a band that never changes, why don't you drop TOOL and go listen to SLAYER all day.
Where the fuck in my post did I say I wanted Opiates 2, 3, 4 and 5????

Where did I say I don't LIKE 10,000 Days????

Oh, that's right...NOWHERE!!!!

I am trying to post some intelligent threads that evoke opinions, thoughts, different viewpoints, etc, etc....as opposed to all the fucktards out there who are posting moronic "thoughts" such as "my girlfriend has never had an orgasm", or "Vicarious was saved for 10,000 Days because of it's greatness".

Understand?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #82
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
I have no idea why you'd want Opiate part 2, 3, 4 and 5.

If you want a band that never changes, why don't you drop TOOL and go listen to SLAYER all day.
Where the fuck in my post did I say I wanted Opiates 2, 3, 4 and 5????

Where did I say I don't LIKE 10,000 Days????

Oh, that's right...NOWHERE!!!!

I am trying to post some intelligent threads that evoke opinions, thoughts, different viewpoints, etc, etc....as opposed to all the fucktards out there who are posting moronic "thoughts" such as "my girlfriend has never had an orgasm", or "Vicarious was saved for 10,000 Days because of it's greatness".

Understand?
paraflux
06-07-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceman
Some might even say you can't stay angry forever because anger is self-consuming.

But I'm not just talking about anger. I am talking about passion, belief, sincerity. And I feel it's lacking or less convincing on 10,000 Days. I welcome change and evolution in their music. Evolve / adapt or become extinct. I just get the impression MJK is growing weary of this and the next world tour will be his swan song.
One of my favorite quotes is MJK at Lollapalooza 93. "Anger is constructive. Hatred is not."
Old 06-07-2006, 06:35 PM   #83
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Some might even say you can't stay angry forever because anger is self-consuming.

But I'm not just talking about anger. I am talking about passion, belief, sincerity. And I feel it's lacking or less convincing on 10,000 Days. I welcome change and evolution in their music. Evolve / adapt or become extinct. I just get the impression MJK is growing weary of this and the next world tour will be his swan song.
One of my favorite quotes is MJK at Lollapalooza 93. "Anger is constructive. Hatred is not."
paraflux
06-07-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Luther
para can i get my tdn name changed to SwanSong?
no?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:35 PM   #84
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
para can i get my tdn name changed to SwanSong?
no?
06-07-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVa
if you're talking about opium den, you mean those demo's on it? or are there also live tracks that aren't released? i have the 1991 demo's but i'm not interested in some live tracks... unless if its THAT great?
Sober, Swamp Song, Opiate, Bottom, Jerk Off are on it....live from Lollapalooza 1993. I don't know if I would call it "that GREAT", but I'd never heard these recordings before, so for me it was a new experience. It reminded me of when I was 20 and we'd all go to see new / emerging bands. It's like hearing Tool play those songs for the very first time to people who've never heard of them.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #85
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
if you're talking about opium den, you mean those demo's on it? or are there also live tracks that aren't released? i have the 1991 demo's but i'm not interested in some live tracks... unless if its THAT great?
Sober, Swamp Song, Opiate, Bottom, Jerk Off are on it....live from Lollapalooza 1993. I don't know if I would call it "that GREAT", but I'd never heard these recordings before, so for me it was a new experience. It reminded me of when I was 20 and we'd all go to see new / emerging bands. It's like hearing Tool play those songs for the very first time to people who've never heard of them.
06-07-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt_q_einstein
actually, they never wanted to be discovered, they all had different jobs already. they came together because they were like minded individuals who wanted to express their thoughts... im not being cynical, just telling the truth
Umm, then why would MJK "sell his soul to make a record"?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #86
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt_q_einstein
actually, they never wanted to be discovered, they all had different jobs already. they came together because they were like minded individuals who wanted to express their thoughts... im not being cynical, just telling the truth
Umm, then why would MJK "sell his soul to make a record"?
06-07-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
a.k.a zero emotion.
LOL. McRoggles would worship anything Tool / MJK did. Probably even loves that stupid segue on Lateralus with Maynard's cat being squeezed...
Old 06-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #87
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
a.k.a zero emotion.
LOL. McRoggles would worship anything Tool / MJK did. Probably even loves that stupid segue on Lateralus with Maynard's cat being squeezed...
06-07-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
what do you mean by swan song?
A "swan song" is like an ending, or I guess an act of finality. Basically the last thing he will do before exiting in pursuit of other things.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #88
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
what do you mean by swan song?
A "swan song" is like an ending, or I guess an act of finality. Basically the last thing he will do before exiting in pursuit of other things.
tangledupinblue
06-07-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:

And yet.....I can't help but feel that it's taken some of the raw human emotion out of the whole thing. Back then they were trying to be discovered, trying to succeed, etc. Now, with 10,000 Days, it's more like they've made it and it seems more like hard work.

Bah, I don't know if anybody will agree / beat me / give me shit. Probably....you're all so cynical and quick to move in like a pack of rabid dogs!

i agree with you. i think 10k days lacks passion. don't know why. maybe, if mjk is the character in vicarious, b/c he is sick of having to "say it all again." which is a douche thing to say, but whatever.

been listening to undertow a lot lately. i seriously neglected that album back when it first came out. good stuff.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #89
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:

And yet.....I can't help but feel that it's taken some of the raw human emotion out of the whole thing. Back then they were trying to be discovered, trying to succeed, etc. Now, with 10,000 Days, it's more like they've made it and it seems more like hard work.

Bah, I don't know if anybody will agree / beat me / give me shit. Probably....you're all so cynical and quick to move in like a pack of rabid dogs!

i agree with you. i think 10k days lacks passion. don't know why. maybe, if mjk is the character in vicarious, b/c he is sick of having to "say it all again." which is a douche thing to say, but whatever.

been listening to undertow a lot lately. i seriously neglected that album back when it first came out. good stuff.
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
06-07-2006, 07:44 PM

Mhm, the band has evolved, lyrically, and vocally, drumming wise, guitar wise and bass wise. Always different every album as well. The effects are what blow our mind's as well. The hair raising pick scrapes with delay and Danny on drum's, beating away melodically...Everything has changed but evolved stronger.

-Æ/æ
Old 06-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #90
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Mhm, the band has evolved, lyrically, and vocally, drumming wise, guitar wise and bass wise. Always different every album as well. The effects are what blow our mind's as well. The hair raising pick scrapes with delay and Danny on drum's, beating away melodically...Everything has changed but evolved stronger.

-Æ/æ
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
06-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Danny on drum's, beating away melodically
Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #91
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

Quote:
Danny on drum's, beating away melodically
06-07-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
It really isn't rhythmatic, because the sequence isn't patterned in his drumming normally.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #92
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
It really isn't rhythmatic, because the sequence isn't patterned in his drumming normally.
06-07-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
I'm really starting to suspect that they don't think about the actual time signature that much.
lol...they really don't, but they make it work better that way in their advantage...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #93
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
I'm really starting to suspect that they don't think about the actual time signature that much.
lol...they really don't, but they make it work better that way in their advantage...
SaturnaliaS
06-07-2006, 09:19 PM

Instead of calling mjk tired and not hungry has anyone stopped think that maybe he is just getting older and can't yell like that anymore. I am no vocallist but mjk's instrument is his voice, without it he would not be the lead singer of tool, and if he con't to scream with that power/raw emotion that we all love he wouldn't be able to hit any of the notes that we come to love in tool music those notes that give the feeling. those notes that we connect with. those MOMENTS that we talk about and debate about. if pavarotti screamed like mjk once did for ten years do you think his voice would be half of what it is now........NO! anyway all i am saying is that one should grow with tool and not dwell on the past. i doubt any of want to be the person we were ten years ago, and why should tool. long live evoution in life as well as art!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #94
Level 1 - Lurker

Instead of calling mjk tired and not hungry has anyone stopped think that maybe he is just getting older and can't yell like that anymore. I am no vocallist but mjk's instrument is his voice, without it he would not be the lead singer of tool, and if he con't to scream with that power/raw emotion that we all love he wouldn't be able to hit any of the notes that we come to love in tool music those notes that give the feeling. those notes that we connect with. those MOMENTS that we talk about and debate about. if pavarotti screamed like mjk once did for ten years do you think his voice would be half of what it is now........NO! anyway all i am saying is that one should grow with tool and not dwell on the past. i doubt any of want to be the person we were ten years ago, and why should tool. long live evoution in life as well as art!
06-07-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnaliaS
Have you heard him live yet, i downloaded a video, he can yell just fine!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #95
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnaliaS
Have you heard him live yet, i downloaded a video, he can yell just fine!
TiVa's Avatar TiVa
06-08-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
just for checking... aren't those on opiate/the 1991 demo/undertow? cool that they are live, but is the quality great or is it just a bootleg made by someone in the croud where you can hear the person next to the bootleg better than the band ;) cuz i allready have those demo's and opiate and undertow, so probably have heard all those songs, unless they are very different from the album versions...
Old 06-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #96
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
just for checking... aren't those on opiate/the 1991 demo/undertow? cool that they are live, but is the quality great or is it just a bootleg made by someone in the croud where you can hear the person next to the bootleg better than the band ;) cuz i allready have those demo's and opiate and undertow, so probably have heard all those songs, unless they are very different from the album versions...
06-08-2006, 02:19 AM

Quote:
The quality is not fantastic, but it's better than the MP3 crap turning up from the latest shows. I'm not sure how it was recorded, I suspect it was done by the crew or somebody like that.

Only way you'll find out for yourself is to track it down and listen. And, yes, these live songs from Lollapalooza are different to Opiate and Undertow. I think it's worth listening to.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #97
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
The quality is not fantastic, but it's better than the MP3 crap turning up from the latest shows. I'm not sure how it was recorded, I suspect it was done by the crew or somebody like that.

Only way you'll find out for yourself is to track it down and listen. And, yes, these live songs from Lollapalooza are different to Opiate and Undertow. I think it's worth listening to.
researchtriangle's Avatar researchtriangle
06-09-2006, 01:05 PM

I agree, Maynard definitely seems tired of the whole thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, everyone moves on I guess. The money doesn't make it any harder to do so
Old 06-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #98
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 73

I agree, Maynard definitely seems tired of the whole thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, everyone moves on I guess. The money doesn't make it any harder to do so

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply