Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
lizbiz
11-08-2006, 07:21 AM

http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option...316&Itemid=101

An interesting article.

Especially interesting is this paragraph:

"Tool has never allowed the use of followspots or live cameras. All of the video is playback. It’s all looped clips that aren’t tracked to a song like a music video. The band has never used any sort of timecode. They’ve always made sure the video can change on-the-fly, in a way that can be improvised."

So... probably no live DVD if they're never lit and don't like cameras. Also, to all you people saying Tool can't change their setlist every night because of the 'intricate' and 'precise' timing of the lighting and video... bs... lets change up the setlist boys!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Lighting Article

http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option...316&Itemid=101

An interesting article.

Especially interesting is this paragraph:

"Tool has never allowed the use of followspots or live cameras. All of the video is playback. It’s all looped clips that aren’t tracked to a song like a music video. The band has never used any sort of timecode. They’ve always made sure the video can change on-the-fly, in a way that can be improvised."

So... probably no live DVD if they're never lit and don't like cameras. Also, to all you people saying Tool can't change their setlist every night because of the 'intricate' and 'precise' timing of the lighting and video... bs... lets change up the setlist boys!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
11-08-2006, 07:53 AM

Yes, probably, just probably no live DVD because Maynard is against live DVDs. What a suprise.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60
Re: Lighting Article

Yes, probably, just probably no live DVD because Maynard is against live DVDs. What a suprise.
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
11-08-2006, 07:56 AM

I've always hoped for a live DVD, but now i think that we'll never gonna get one. thats fine with me. i have experienced a live tool concert, and its was the biggest thing i've ever seen. im kinda sad that they dont come to play near denmark at this fall tour but hoprfully they'll return with a new album in the five years.

about the setlist chance. yea it would be nice if they would chance some of the songs. I saw that they're using the same setlist at this european fall tour as they did at the summer tour. WTF tool? no wings? i don't understand so i won't try to get into why they're doing it
Old 11-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

I've always hoped for a live DVD, but now i think that we'll never gonna get one. thats fine with me. i have experienced a live tool concert, and its was the biggest thing i've ever seen. im kinda sad that they dont come to play near denmark at this fall tour but hoprfully they'll return with a new album in the five years.

about the setlist chance. yea it would be nice if they would chance some of the songs. I saw that they're using the same setlist at this european fall tour as they did at the summer tour. WTF tool? no wings? i don't understand so i won't try to get into why they're doing it
jonboy's Avatar jonboy
11-08-2006, 01:07 PM

Nice, thanks.

“The dark spaces are mostly for Maynard. A lot of the songs are a personal journey for him and he has a hard time with the glare of the lights when he’s trying to reproduce these emotions for the audience. He needs a bit of personal space, and he feels more comfortable in the shadows.”
Old 11-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129

Nice, thanks.

“The dark spaces are mostly for Maynard. A lot of the songs are a personal journey for him and he has a hard time with the glare of the lights when he’s trying to reproduce these emotions for the audience. He needs a bit of personal space, and he feels more comfortable in the shadows.”
apathetic goat's Avatar apathetic goat
11-08-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
They’ve always made sure the video can change on-the-fly, in a way that can be improvised. That’s a big important part of the production,” says Haggerty. “The show is never the same twice.”
Hah.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
They’ve always made sure the video can change on-the-fly, in a way that can be improvised. That’s a big important part of the production,” says Haggerty. “The show is never the same twice.”
Hah.
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
11-08-2006, 05:45 PM

I know jonboy quoted this, but I had one thing to say about it. On the one hand, I really wish we could look forward to a live DVD; the kind of live DVD I would imagine and want. If what is said in the above quote about why Maynard wants to be in the shadows is true, I have to be grateful for an artist that is so much more concerned about trying to reproduce the emotions in his personal journey, and sharing it with us, than about being a star. I mean, I'm almost pissed off as if I deserve the live DVD for being such a huge fan. After seeing Tool so many times over the years, and having the amazing experiences that inspired, I almost feel like I should be ashamed for not appreciating what was shared with me and everyone else. Well, I must say that I was quite impressed when I read this.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
Prana

Bincount™: 8

I know jonboy quoted this, but I had one thing to say about it. On the one hand, I really wish we could look forward to a live DVD; the kind of live DVD I would imagine and want. If what is said in the above quote about why Maynard wants to be in the shadows is true, I have to be grateful for an artist that is so much more concerned about trying to reproduce the emotions in his personal journey, and sharing it with us, than about being a star. I mean, I'm almost pissed off as if I deserve the live DVD for being such a huge fan. After seeing Tool so many times over the years, and having the amazing experiences that inspired, I almost feel like I should be ashamed for not appreciating what was shared with me and everyone else. Well, I must say that I was quite impressed when I read this.
11-08-2006, 09:43 PM

First things first...Yes!, I hear ya lizbiz, it's time to change up the fuckin' setlist already. Although sometimes I think that maybe they are playing the same songs night in and night out because they are feeling a connection to those particular songs and they want to perfect them live, I think that it tells the fans, "fuck you if you don't like it, this is what we're doing". In an article that I read with Adam recently, he said something along the lines of them being selfish about it all and that they are trying to make themselves happy first and foremost, so unfortunately we just kind of have to roll with it. Lately though, my thoughts are that if the band still gives half of a shit about the fans they will make some drastic changes to the set list in the near future. If they come back to the US next year with the same list in the same order then they are being assholes. I'm sorry, but, enough is enough, not only are tickets pricey these days, but just getting them is tough for the average joe like myself who doesn't have $200 dollars to get a decent seat because the show sold out in 5 minutes. Anyway, I'll stop my bitchin' now and give them some credit for giving me some great memories at shows in the past, even if the show is short and predictable, it is still amazing. Ahhh, i'm a little frustrated about it all I guess.

Thanks for the article

Last edited by base metal; 11-08-2006 at 09:48 PM..
Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

First things first...Yes!, I hear ya lizbiz, it's time to change up the fuckin' setlist already. Although sometimes I think that maybe they are playing the same songs night in and night out because they are feeling a connection to those particular songs and they want to perfect them live, I think that it tells the fans, "fuck you if you don't like it, this is what we're doing". In an article that I read with Adam recently, he said something along the lines of them being selfish about it all and that they are trying to make themselves happy first and foremost, so unfortunately we just kind of have to roll with it. Lately though, my thoughts are that if the band still gives half of a shit about the fans they will make some drastic changes to the set list in the near future. If they come back to the US next year with the same list in the same order then they are being assholes. I'm sorry, but, enough is enough, not only are tickets pricey these days, but just getting them is tough for the average joe like myself who doesn't have $200 dollars to get a decent seat because the show sold out in 5 minutes. Anyway, I'll stop my bitchin' now and give them some credit for giving me some great memories at shows in the past, even if the show is short and predictable, it is still amazing. Ahhh, i'm a little frustrated about it all I guess.

Thanks for the article

Last edited by base metal; 11-08-2006 at 09:48 PM..
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
11-08-2006, 10:39 PM

Fascinating article, thanks for posting. That program seems fucking BAD ASS, I would absolutely love to have something like that for my computer. Something like Milkdrop but for video loops? Wow.

I do wonder why they haven't changed up the setlist. I really think that they want to give the same experience to everyone, show everyone the same tunes more or less....although as this next round of the tour starts, they really have no excuse for playing the same sets as they did all year so far. Whatever.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Fascinating article, thanks for posting. That program seems fucking BAD ASS, I would absolutely love to have something like that for my computer. Something like Milkdrop but for video loops? Wow.

I do wonder why they haven't changed up the setlist. I really think that they want to give the same experience to everyone, show everyone the same tunes more or less....although as this next round of the tour starts, they really have no excuse for playing the same sets as they did all year so far. Whatever.
11-09-2006, 04:46 AM

Despite my sympathetic ranting above, I really believe that Tool should just go ahead and play a two-day show by themselves comprising their entire catalog, film it, with cameras on absolutely everything, including close-ups on themselves and of each of them performing (i.e. shots of Danny playing, not so much his face), as well as the whole stage, and put it on a DVD where we could watch it and choose the shots and angles from which we want to see the show. We could watch the show over and over, one time we could watch Maynard the whole time, the next time we could keep it on Danny, etc. They should also add in all of the other video we know they have from end of the Lateralus tour and whatever else. I insist.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:46 AM   #9
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Despite my sympathetic ranting above, I really believe that Tool should just go ahead and play a two-day show by themselves comprising their entire catalog, film it, with cameras on absolutely everything, including close-ups on themselves and of each of them performing (i.e. shots of Danny playing, not so much his face), as well as the whole stage, and put it on a DVD where we could watch it and choose the shots and angles from which we want to see the show. We could watch the show over and over, one time we could watch Maynard the whole time, the next time we could keep it on Danny, etc. They should also add in all of the other video we know they have from end of the Lateralus tour and whatever else. I insist.
11-10-2006, 12:01 PM

Do you realize how many DVDs that would take up, with multiple angles for absolutely every shot and every song from a 5-album set of songs that average over 6 minutes each?

Alllllrightie then! Let's do it!

(In a similar vein to the above, I would be overcome with unspeakable joy if they put separate audio tracks on the DVD for each player; one 5.1 mix, one 2.0 mix, and then four stereo tracks for Adam, Maynard, Justin and Danny. I realize that this would make a ridiculous amount of material to put on the disc and it would make the DVD ridiculously pricy, but what the hell? They could make one "normal" one that has the best angles for each song in and only the full band mixes (focused on Justin for the beginning of 46&2 but focus on Danny for the solo, etc.), then have a second 'collectors' kind of DVD for fans that costs a lot more (I'd be willing to pay fifty dollars or more for something like this) with everything on it.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #10

Bincount™: 0

Do you realize how many DVDs that would take up, with multiple angles for absolutely every shot and every song from a 5-album set of songs that average over 6 minutes each?

Alllllrightie then! Let's do it!

(In a similar vein to the above, I would be overcome with unspeakable joy if they put separate audio tracks on the DVD for each player; one 5.1 mix, one 2.0 mix, and then four stereo tracks for Adam, Maynard, Justin and Danny. I realize that this would make a ridiculous amount of material to put on the disc and it would make the DVD ridiculously pricy, but what the hell? They could make one "normal" one that has the best angles for each song in and only the full band mixes (focused on Justin for the beginning of 46&2 but focus on Danny for the solo, etc.), then have a second 'collectors' kind of DVD for fans that costs a lot more (I'd be willing to pay fifty dollars or more for something like this) with everything on it.
11-10-2006, 01:05 PM

We'll see a live DVD when they want to make some quick cash, not until then.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #11
Avatar of the Gods (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 13

We'll see a live DVD when they want to make some quick cash, not until then.
Idiotica
11-10-2006, 02:08 PM

one bluray disc should do it (or a couple hddvds) - i'd expect it to arrive in about 10 years (sometime after their next -and final?- album).
Old 11-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 36

one bluray disc should do it (or a couple hddvds) - i'd expect it to arrive in about 10 years (sometime after their next -and final?- album).
Ertai's Avatar Ertai
11-10-2006, 02:37 PM

we havent even got a vicarious video yet... so dont hold your breath of anything being released in the near future.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 107

we havent even got a vicarious video yet... so dont hold your breath of anything being released in the near future.
11-14-2006, 02:34 AM

I was feeling bad when I came back over this thread, because I spent most of my last post here whining about the set list, so I'm not gonna do that again...ever. After re-reading this thread I wanted to say something else more positive this time regarding the article itself.

I understand why they don't want bright lights in their face and why they don't jump around all crazy, giving the crowd five and shit.... I wouldn't mind if they did, but it seems to me like they want the audience to look at the stage and all of the band members as a whole rather than focusing on one of them or any one element of the show for that matter. Adam seems to just lay back and focus on what he's doing, Justin moves a little more and bangs his head a lot. Maynard kinda builds up energy and then goes off every once in awhile and starts the 'robotic madman' dances, as i like to say. And Danny's playing is so demanding that he can't possibly do any thing but rock the fuckin' place. If you look at all 4 of them as a whole and as a part of the video screens,then it all seems to click, so I understand why they emphasize just listening and getting lost in the production of the stage show. They do some really cool shit in the atmosphere department.

As for their song choices live, they have been playing most all of the hits and a good portion of the new record, so I guess it all makes sense. Coming up with a setlist is tougher than I have given them credit for, afterall, they have to play it every show, so I imagine the songs they are currently playing are the ones they feel comfortable playing right now. Who knows, considering that they have five albums to pick from, it could change drastically anytime.

As for a live DVD, I'm all in favor and I think that Choice Breath has a good idea. But, I don't see it coming anytime soon..who knows.

Last edited by base metal; 11-14-2006 at 04:13 PM..
Old 11-14-2006, 02:34 AM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

I was feeling bad when I came back over this thread, because I spent most of my last post here whining about the set list, so I'm not gonna do that again...ever. After re-reading this thread I wanted to say something else more positive this time regarding the article itself.

I understand why they don't want bright lights in their face and why they don't jump around all crazy, giving the crowd five and shit.... I wouldn't mind if they did, but it seems to me like they want the audience to look at the stage and all of the band members as a whole rather than focusing on one of them or any one element of the show for that matter. Adam seems to just lay back and focus on what he's doing, Justin moves a little more and bangs his head a lot. Maynard kinda builds up energy and then goes off every once in awhile and starts the 'robotic madman' dances, as i like to say. And Danny's playing is so demanding that he can't possibly do any thing but rock the fuckin' place. If you look at all 4 of them as a whole and as a part of the video screens,then it all seems to click, so I understand why they emphasize just listening and getting lost in the production of the stage show. They do some really cool shit in the atmosphere department.

As for their song choices live, they have been playing most all of the hits and a good portion of the new record, so I guess it all makes sense. Coming up with a setlist is tougher than I have given them credit for, afterall, they have to play it every show, so I imagine the songs they are currently playing are the ones they feel comfortable playing right now. Who knows, considering that they have five albums to pick from, it could change drastically anytime.

As for a live DVD, I'm all in favor and I think that Choice Breath has a good idea. But, I don't see it coming anytime soon..who knows.

Last edited by base metal; 11-14-2006 at 04:13 PM..
grigri's Avatar grigri
11-14-2006, 01:37 PM

When I saw them (Vancouver 08-22-2006) they sure didn't seem to have the full show with them. There were screens behind the band, but they were pretty short--nothing even close to a 'tower'. The show fucking rocked hard though, and I loved the setlist. I'd take Right in Two over Wings any day.

Forget the live DVD, it won't be coming out any day soon. Bootlegs are out there for a reason ;)
Old 11-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #15

Bincount™: 4

When I saw them (Vancouver 08-22-2006) they sure didn't seem to have the full show with them. There were screens behind the band, but they were pretty short--nothing even close to a 'tower'. The show fucking rocked hard though, and I loved the setlist. I'd take Right in Two over Wings any day.

Forget the live DVD, it won't be coming out any day soon. Bootlegs are out there for a reason ;)
lizbiz
11-16-2006, 11:59 AM

I like this thread, lot's of opinions, not much bitching!

Ertai: fantastic fuckin' avatar, hypnotizing :)

SETLIST IMO: Doesn't have to change drastically. Why can't they just add some songs and make the show a little longer. An hour and a half just isn't enough Tool, and I don't want to hear anybody saying it's too taxing for them to play over 2 hours. Man, Ozzy can barely talk and he outlasts the audience at his shows! I've seen bands rock hard for 3 hours straight, dripping sweat, it can be done.

As I was walking out of my 3rd show this summer, some guys asked me 'what did you think' I told him 'amazing' then he said 'don't you think they should play something other than greatest hits' WTF?!?!? What are Tool 'greatest hits' anyway? Isn't Parabola/Prison Sex/The Grudge/Opiate/Sober/Eulogy/H/Insert your own song here, a greatest hit? Tool doesn't have greatest hits, they just have GREAT. Personally I would be pissed if they dropped any song from the setlist (especially Lateralus). With that being said, my opinion is, give the ticket a little more value, play a little longer (3 songs even), give a little more value to the dedicated follower (interchange 2-3 songs nightly while keeping the rest the same). These aren't complaints, just suggestions, I'm still going to see Tool 3 times when they come back around, regardless of what the setlist is. Finally, are people forgetting it was a tour to support THEY'RE FIRST ALBUM IN 5 YEARS! Every band plays almost all their new material when touring their new album. How bored would you be never creating something original? So I'm thinking the next tour will hopefully be longer and peppered with some older material, now that the 'official 10k Days tour' has passed.

That said, I'm getting off topic in my own thread. I love the lighting and stage setup, there were points when I felt like the whole stage was soaring through the sky. I'm NOT quite looking for (or forward to) a live DVD. What do you want to see? Think of every live DVD you've ever watched, has it ever come close to being there? I would not want to bastardize a live Tool experience with a video representation of it (and I'm a filmmaker!) I guess it has it's uses, to see the band playing, checking out the cool visuals, you missed the show, blah, blah, but man, nothing can take you back to a memory other than experiencing it first person, again. And that is why I will go to every Tool show possible, because you never know when you won't have a chance to see them again.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #16

I like this thread, lot's of opinions, not much bitching!

Ertai: fantastic fuckin' avatar, hypnotizing :)

SETLIST IMO: Doesn't have to change drastically. Why can't they just add some songs and make the show a little longer. An hour and a half just isn't enough Tool, and I don't want to hear anybody saying it's too taxing for them to play over 2 hours. Man, Ozzy can barely talk and he outlasts the audience at his shows! I've seen bands rock hard for 3 hours straight, dripping sweat, it can be done.

As I was walking out of my 3rd show this summer, some guys asked me 'what did you think' I told him 'amazing' then he said 'don't you think they should play something other than greatest hits' WTF?!?!? What are Tool 'greatest hits' anyway? Isn't Parabola/Prison Sex/The Grudge/Opiate/Sober/Eulogy/H/Insert your own song here, a greatest hit? Tool doesn't have greatest hits, they just have GREAT. Personally I would be pissed if they dropped any song from the setlist (especially Lateralus). With that being said, my opinion is, give the ticket a little more value, play a little longer (3 songs even), give a little more value to the dedicated follower (interchange 2-3 songs nightly while keeping the rest the same). These aren't complaints, just suggestions, I'm still going to see Tool 3 times when they come back around, regardless of what the setlist is. Finally, are people forgetting it was a tour to support THEY'RE FIRST ALBUM IN 5 YEARS! Every band plays almost all their new material when touring their new album. How bored would you be never creating something original? So I'm thinking the next tour will hopefully be longer and peppered with some older material, now that the 'official 10k Days tour' has passed.

That said, I'm getting off topic in my own thread. I love the lighting and stage setup, there were points when I felt like the whole stage was soaring through the sky. I'm NOT quite looking for (or forward to) a live DVD. What do you want to see? Think of every live DVD you've ever watched, has it ever come close to being there? I would not want to bastardize a live Tool experience with a video representation of it (and I'm a filmmaker!) I guess it has it's uses, to see the band playing, checking out the cool visuals, you missed the show, blah, blah, but man, nothing can take you back to a memory other than experiencing it first person, again. And that is why I will go to every Tool show possible, because you never know when you won't have a chance to see them again.
jonboy's Avatar jonboy
11-16-2006, 02:45 PM

Yes a live DVD would be great, but I would like another simillar to Salival. Either way I dont think we will see one untill well after the tour is finished and they need another gap filler.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129

Yes a live DVD would be great, but I would like another simillar to Salival. Either way I dont think we will see one untill well after the tour is finished and they need another gap filler.
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
11-16-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz View Post
Think of every live DVD you've ever watched, has it ever come close to being there?
Yes. And I'm dead serious, I really love music DVDs. Of course I'd rather be there, but music DVDs are fantastic, I can really get into them.

Of course I can understand those who hate them, I remember watching Metallica's Cunning Stunts with my friend in the middle of the day and he FELL ASLEEP.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz View Post
Think of every live DVD you've ever watched, has it ever come close to being there?
Yes. And I'm dead serious, I really love music DVDs. Of course I'd rather be there, but music DVDs are fantastic, I can really get into them.

Of course I can understand those who hate them, I remember watching Metallica's Cunning Stunts with my friend in the middle of the day and he FELL ASLEEP.
11-22-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath View Post
Dude... I think I just came a little.

www.myspace.com/shapingthemindsofouryouth
Old 11-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath View Post
Dude... I think I just came a little.

www.myspace.com/shapingthemindsofouryouth

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply